2019-2020 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when it says list the classes the satisfy the Biology with Lab prerequiste. Does that mean you should list 8 hours of bio classes and 8 hours of labs? or 4 and 4?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I called the admissions office about the letters thing because I sent my committee letter and three others. They said it isn't a huge issue, they just wanted applicants to be cognizant of time constraints. I think if you have a solid application and do well with your secondaries, the extra letters won't seriously hurt you. They might have it in the back of their minds, but it sounded to me like it was a pretty minor consideration.

I can second that the more than 3 letters thing is not a big deal from what I was told when I called. She told me that if I think additional letters will tell something different about me then it might be worthing sending them. They just don't want to read 5 letters that all say the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any difference between these two questions?

List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

Is the latter a required question?

Any difference between these two questions?

List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

Is the latter a required question?

I didn’t answer the latter. I figure it would be useful if there was a change in plans/news you didn’t find out until after submitting your primary.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! Just wondering if the 1 year science requirement means that we have to have 1 year of lab as well? I went to a quarter system school and only had to take 3 quarters of physics + 2 quarters of physics lab. Same for Ochem. I'm not sure if it's okay?

Hi guys! Just wondering if the 1 year science requirement means that we have to have 1 year of lab as well? I went to a quarter system school and only had to take 3 quarters of physics + 2 quarters of physics lab. Same for Ochem. I'm not sure if it's okay?

Is there “discussion”? That counts as lab

What do heatlh related experiences include? Volunteering? Oncology research that does not involve patient contact? Physician shadowing? Being a primary caregiver and taking my father to medical appointments and caring for him after surgery? Being a patient myself undergoing a bone realignment sugery/

What do heatlh related experiences include? Volunteering? Oncology research that does not involve patient contact? Physician shadowing? Being a primary caregiver and taking my father to medical appointments and caring for him after surgery? Being a patient myself undergoing a bone realignment sugery/

Definitely volunteering and shadowing. Since it's broad, you might as well include the other ones as well I suppose if you can include them all without watering down the more impactful ones where you were in direct contact with patients in a healthcare setting. I probably wouldn't include being a patient myself if I were you because I don't really think it's unique or gave you much valuable experience, but it's up to you.

Something I've been thinking about recently, and would like some input on: one of the two science letters I submitted was from my PI in a psychology/psychiatry lab. It's more scientific work than the science classes I got my STEM professor letters from, so I decided to use it rather than one of the STEM prof. letters, but I wonder if that was a bad idea because the lab might be thought of as social science. Should I add my fourth letter? Emory seems really specific about only having three.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something I've been thinking about recently, and would like some input on: one of the two science letters I submitted was from my PI in a psychology/psychiatry lab. It's more scientific work than the science classes I got my STEM professor letters from, so I decided to use it rather than one of the STEM prof. letters, but I wonder if that was a bad idea because the lab might be thought of as social science. Should I add my fourth letter? Emory seems really specific about only having three.
I mean psychology isn't considered in your science GPA and stuff because it's not a "hard science" so I'd probably send the other to be safe. I'm in the same exact boat as you but I haven't been using my psych letter as a science letter cause I don't want to risk it. You could always call to clarify I supposed though.

for the secondary, isn't the first prompt (If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year) the same as the last one (If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below)

like am i supposed to write the same thing for both?

for the secondary, isn't the first prompt (If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year) the same as the last one (If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below)

They are not necessarily the same.

I wrote the first but not the last

Dumb question but would it be okay to double-list my courses for English as Humanities as well? I am 1 unit short arghhh.

Dumb question but would it be okay to double-list my courses for English as Humanities as well? I am 1 unit short arghhh.

Hmm I'm guessing not but could call and ask? I would do that rather than just doing it and then finding out down the road that they deferred you or something because of it. Did you not really take any humanities classes other than English? History, philosophy, etc? Don't remember how many were required for Emory but I remember I had more than enough without even trying just cause my school required them, and I went to a large state school.

Hmm I'm guessing not but could call and ask? I would do that rather than just doing it and then finding out down the road that they deferred you or something because of it. Did you not really take any humanities classes other than English? History, philosophy, etc? Don't remember how many were required for Emory but I remember I had more than enough without even trying just cause my school required them, and I went to a large state school.

Good idea, will probably call when I get the chance. I did take additional humanities courses, two years worth to be exact, but some of the courses I took were only 3 units instead of the usual 4, which is why I am short.

Interview invites anyone? I know it's still a bit early but thought I'd ask

Reactions: 3 users
For 'What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?' do you also include what your personal goals are?

The prompt doesn’t seem to be asking that in my opinion but I think you could work that in if you wanted. Just don’t waste space adding personal goals if you didn’t already answer the question. 200 words is barely any.

is Emory receptive to in the area requests?

is it too late for me to apply to the school? My primary app has been verified by amcas, but I want to try to apply to Emory by sending them my primary now. OOS student, 515 mcat, 3.98 gpa.

is it too late for me to apply to the school? My primary app has been verified by amcas, but I want to try to apply to Emory by sending them my primary now. OOS student, 515 mcat, 3.98 gpa.
shoot ya shot. as long as u get your secondary in before labor day, you'll be fine!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have an idea of when interview invites start going out? I believe the first round of interviews is supposed to occur during the second week of September. Thank you!

Does anyone have an idea of when interview invites start going out? I believe the first round of interviews is supposed to occur during the second week of September. Thank you!
First one was the 28th last year

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Still no II for anyone??

Still no II for anyone??
Apparently, no. It's so weird... It's already September. Maybe Hurricane Dorian is delaying the process? I know there are areas being evacuated for safety.

Reactions: 4 users
When is the first day of interviews usually? Anyone know?

Apparently, no. It's so weird... It's already September. Maybe Hurricane Dorian is delaying the process? I know there are areas being evacuated for safety.

Lol I live in Atlanta and it's been 100% sunny the last few days and is forecasted to be the same so this definitely isn't it.

Reactions: 8 users
Lol I live in Atlanta and it's been 100% sunny the last few days and is forecasted to be the same so this definitely isn't it.
Lol! Oh, my God, what's going on with Emory, then? I hope that some interview invites start going out by the end of this week.

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if it has something to do with the changes starting last cycle. This isn't the only school I'm applying to that's off their normal cycle

What changes?
The new traffic laws. I don't fully understand them but it seems they ultimately reduced waitlist traffic by incentivizing schools to give out fewer overall acceptances. I'm sure someone else on this thread/SDN in general could give a better synopsis than me though.

The new traffic laws. I don't fully understand them but it seems they ultimately reduced waitlist traffic by incentivizing schools to give out fewer overall acceptances. I'm sure someone else on this thread/SDN in general could give a better synopsis than me though.
Oh fantastic. Of course it has to start this year!

Reactions: 5 users
Confirmed with admissions office that II have not been sent out yet but interviews will indeed be happening in September o_O

• Wow
Reactions: 17 users
Confirmed with admissions office that II have not been sent out yet but interviews will indeed be happening in September o_O

yikes, interviews will come in a massive batch then

I think this is probably the case. They did say they'd be sending them soon so hopefully, there is movement by the end of this week! :shifty:
I would've been like..."soon? how soon? today soon? what complete dates? TELL ME!"
I'm casual...what can I say? haha

Reactions: 4 users
ANy preference for ties with emory university. Not sure. My uncle works there as a physio therapist. LM 70.6 hopefully will get an interview.

they have started! II earlier today :) definitely super excited about emory its absolutely one of top choices! OOS and complete 7/20. Two dates available in sept for me but had to pick one in october

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
they have started! II earlier today :) definitely super excited about emory its absolutely one of top choices! OOS and complete 7/20. Two dates available in sept for me but had to pick one in october
Finally! Congratulations! :)