2019-2020 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Indiana University

Members don't see this ad.

RIP I HERE COME AGAIN

Reactions: 1 users
Couldn't be more grateful that these guys don't make you do a secondary application.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if the EDP requirement of 509 still holds true for this cycle?

Does anyone know how the scholarly concentration priority thing works? It seems as though this is a way to directly apply to a specific campus?

Hi guys,

I'm a current MS4 at IU. You can tag me on here or message me if you have questions.

Disclaimer; I don't always regularly check SDN, so I apologize if I miss a question. Also, I know that IUSM is starting up some scholarly concentration thing next year, I know very little about any details. Best of luck to all applying! It's a great school that provides good clinical knowledge and training.

Good luck to everyone! let us know when you receive an invite!

Did anyone else apply EDP? I did because I heard the acceptance rate is 95% through EDP, how true is this?

Thanks!

Just curious, does anyone know if you get deferred to regular decision from EDP if your application still has a better chance of getting accepted?

Nothing. Anyone know when interview invites start going out?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school go straight to IIs? I thought they would still send out some additional info secondary or something.

Does this school go straight to IIs? I thought they would still send out some additional info secondary or something.

There's no secondary, but there is a graduate application per their website. Unsure if this is needed to be considered complete? also some sort of dean's evaluation

There's no secondary, but there is a graduate application per their website. Unsure if this is needed to be considered complete? also some sort of dean's evaluation
I'm pretty sure you only do that if you get the II

Historically towards the end of July

Last edited:
has anyone received a confirmation email from IU yet?

md/phd no confirmation email yet

md/phd received confirmation email in morning

Does anyone know how letters of recommendation work here? The website makes it seem like they invite you for an interview first before they need your letters?

Hi guys! I’ll be an MS1 this August and, since this process is still fresh to me, I thought I’d also make myself available for questions.

Did anyone else apply EDP? I did because I heard the acceptance rate is 95% through EDP, how true is this?

Thanks!

EDP acceptance is hella high. If you’d be happy at IUSM and you have the MCAT score, apply EDP. EDP also gives you the benefit of choosing your campus as opposed to being placed somewhere by a “random” lottery system. This is especially beneficial now that IUSM is doing Scholarly Concentrations, for which availability differs from campus to campus. So, for example, if you wanna learn more about Genetics in Medicine, it’s beneficial to be at the Indy campus. If you’re into Law, Equality, and Justice, then South Bend may be better for you. Business in Medicine is offered at Indy and Bloomington. You get the point. But also you’re not required to have a Scholarly Concentration

Just curious, does anyone know if you get deferred to regular decision from EDP if your application still has a better chance of getting accepted?

If you’re not accepted from EDP, your app goes to the regular decision pool. I remember someone saying last year that chances of acceptance from this position are still high. However, this puts you pretty far behind for every other school

Does anyone know how letters of recommendation work here? The website makes it seem like they invite you for an interview first before they need your letters?

Correct. Once you get an interview invite, you’ll get access to a portal where they’ll ask for letters.

Hi guys! I’ll be an MS1 this August and, since this process is still fresh to me, I thought I’d also make myself available for questions.

EDP acceptance is hella high. If you’d be happy at IUSM and you have the MCAT score, apply EDP. EDP also gives you the benefit of choosing your campus as opposed to being placed somewhere by a “random” lottery system. This is especially beneficial now that IUSM is doing Scholarly Concentrations, for which availability differs from campus to campus. So, for example, if you wanna learn more about Genetics in Medicine, it’s beneficial to be at the Indy campus. If you’re into Law, Equality, and Justice, then South Bend may be better for you. Business in Medicine is offered at Indy and Bloomington. You get the point. But also you’re not required to have a Scholarly Concentration

If you’re not accepted from EDP, your app goes to the regular decision pool. I remember someone saying last year that chances of acceptance from this position are still high. However, this puts you pretty far behind for every other school

Correct. Once you get an interview invite, you’ll get access to a portal where they’ll ask for letters.
What about a committee letter? My premed committee writes a letter compiled from two science profs, two non-science, and then a personal letter from a physician that I have shadowed. I just don't know if I will have to get separate letters?

What about a committee letter? My premed committee writes a letter compiled from two science profs, two non-science, and then a personal letter from a physician that I have shadowed. I just don't know if I will have to get separate letters?

This is good question and unfortunately I'm not familiar with the process with a committee letter. Once you get an II, I'd just contact the admissions office and ask them. I'd recommend calling instead of emailing since it always took them a few days to reply to my emails

Deferred pending most recent MCAT score today. Better than a rejection!

Do applicants need to do anything after submitting AMCAS and CASPer? It looks like the IU online application and fee are just required for people invited to interview, but I'm not sure about the Dean of Students evaluation form and if that has to be done after submission?
Nah I think it’s just a waiting game

Do applicants need to do anything after submitting AMCAS and CASPer? It looks like the IU online application and fee are just required for people invited to interview, but I'm not sure about the Dean of Students evaluation form and if that has to be done after submission?
I think you only need to submit CASPer after you get an invite

Got a confirmation email yesterday morning. I'm also currently on the waitlist for the previous cycle so if anyone has questions about the process here feel free to ask!

I got an email for the scholarly concentrations priority placement program. Should I apply to this? This isn't a early decision program, correct?

I got my confirmation email on July 16th (I'm IS, and my primary was verified 7/3). I also got invited to the scholarly concentrations thing today, idk if that means I'm special or if everyone gets an invite.

I am about as unsure about what the program entails as everyone else here, but I suppose if the main point is that I can get into my preferred campus (my family lives near one of the satellite campuses) that would be worth it.

I know this school has no secondary app. So just for clarification, there is literally nothing I need to be doing for this school, right? I don't need to go on their website and do anything unless I am told so by IU through email? Just making sure

Anyone know if you need your LORs in before they even look at your app?

Just got my confirmation email. (I am OOS and was verified by AMCAS on 05/31). Do i need to do the CASPer test or do I wait to hear back if I need to complete it?

Just got my confirmation email. (I am OOS and was verified by AMCAS on 05/31). Do i need to do the CASPer test or do I wait to hear back if I need to complete it?
If you need to take the casper for at least one of your schools, take it ASAP and send it everywhere. Unless you have psychopathic tendencies, it can only help.

Received complete email 7/24 OOS.

OOS, verified 5/30, still no confirmation email. Anyone else?

Reactions: 8 users
OOS, verified 5/30, still no confirmation email. Anyone else?

I should add to my earlier post about not receiving a confirmation email yet: my school does committee letters and sends them out in early August, so hopefully that explains the delay for me (and anyone else in the committee letter boat?)

I should add to my earlier post about not receiving a confirmation email yet: my school does committee letters and sends them out in early August, so hopefully that explains the delay for me (and anyone else in the committee letter boat?)
I’m in committee letter boat but was sent in like early June and still didn’t get a confirmation email... so IU is probs taking their sweeeet time

OOS no confirmation email yet. My rec letters and CASPer are all submitted. Primary was verified late May

Reactions: 4 users
I called IUSM Admissions about CASPer, and they said that you need to have CASPer completed by the time of your interview. So I signed up for a date coming up soon just to be safe. Hope this helps for people wondering about this!