2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't gotten an email yet, so i guess they just want to silently reject me lol

I didn’t get the email either. I’m assuming each person managing X number of apps was instructed to send this email so it’s going out in batches

OR (glimmer of hope?) they have a list of apps on the back burner since they will have difficulty anticipating how many people will actually enroll :D

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t get the email either. I’m assuming each person managing X number of apps was instructed to send this email so it’s going out in batches

OR (glimmer of hope?) they have a list of apps on the back burner since they will have difficulty anticipating how many people will actually enroll :D
Who knows! I’m hoping it’s the latter by some miracle hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here on Thursday and they said that everyone will be hearing back by the end of this month (good or bad) so the school can focus on revisit day and everything else! To me, it sounded like if you are going to get offered one of the initial 48 seats, you’ll be hearing back in the next few weeks so you can make arrangements to travel back to Pasadena. I could definitely be wrong though because it was a loooong day at they discussed it as we were filling out a survey and getting ready to leave. Good luck y’all!

I interviewed here on Thursday and they said that everyone will be hearing back by the end of this month (good or bad) so the school can focus on revisit day and everything else! To me, it sounded like if you are going to get offered one of the initial 48 seats, you’ll be hearing back in the next few weeks so you can make arrangements to travel back to Pasadena. I could definitely be wrong though because it was a loooong day at they discussed it as we were filling out a survey and getting ready to leave. Good luck y’all!

did they say anything about second look potentially being affected by coronavirus?

did they say anything about second look potentially being affected by coronavirus?
Nope not at all! They didn’t really mention anything about it other than asking us not to shake hands with our interviewers and giving us hand sanitizer after the anatomy demo.

Reactions: 1 users

Did they mention if there would be a formal waitlist? I interviewed in December so I would love to know waitlist vs R

Last edited:
I wonder if they will hold off on the end of cycle email for people that are really close to the school (socal residents) in case of last minute II withdrawals? Or as said above it could just be waves - but I don't see why they wouldn't automate that, wouldn't be too hard to do.

I wonder if they will hold off on the end of cycle email for people that are really close to the school (socal residents) in case of last minute II withdrawals? Or as said above it could just be waves - but I don't see why they wouldn't automate that, wouldn't be too hard to do.

Did anyone’s app status in the portal change from “complete and awaiting review”? (End of cycle email received or no email received)

Last edited:
Do you guys think Kaiser will cancel 2nd look? Kind of want to know before I buy masks, gloves, and wipes for the airport...

Do you guys think Kaiser will cancel 2nd look? Kind of want to know before I buy masks, gloves, and wipes for the airport...
You shouldn't be buying masks since the surgical ones won't protect you from the virus. You should be wearing a mask if you are sick but even then, you shouldn't be going out in the first place. Sure you could buy a N95 respirator, but those are extremely uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. Please leave the masks for healthcare workers.

Source: Can wearing a face mask protect you from the new coronavirus?

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't be buying masks since the surgical ones won't protect you from the virus. You should be wearing a mask if you are sick but even then, you shouldn't be going out in the first place. Sure you could buy a N95 respirator, but those are extremely uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. Please leave the masks for healthcare workers.

Source: Can wearing a face mask protect you from the new coronavirus?

I’m definitely going to wear one and gloves because airports are literally the hotspot and I’m not taking chances cause I have been a little under the weather

Then it might not be best to travel :oops:
My ticket is non-refundable so I’m going. My only concern is the airport because not everyone has the best hygiene practices. But yeah I’m going to email the school soon.

Seeking advice on an update letter--

I interviewed on 2/27 and mentioned to my interviewer a couple of updates that were not included in my primary or secondary app. Should I still send an update letter with info about my current activities?

Seeking advice on an update letter--

I interviewed on 2/27 and mentioned to my interviewer a couple of updates that were not included in my primary or secondary app. Should I still send an update letter with info about my current activities?
Yes, your interviewer is not necessarily on the adcom. They got Kaiser physicians to come and interview (I think they’re more closely affiliated with the school but mine specifically said she wasn’t on the committee). You can briefly mention that you said this during your interview, but you wanted to send a formal update & letter of interest.

Has anyone with early February interviews heard back yet? At this point, we'll likely hear back next week around the 15th, but wondering if I wasn't alone on the early Feb boat.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have noticed that a lot of accepted applicants on the thread received the email and phone call on Wednesday. Maybe they do all their acceptance calls on that specific day of the week? :unsure:

Why the 15th?
March 15th is a big date for med schools in the traffic rules, since they have to issue enough acceptances equal to the number of students in the class. Kaiser would have had to send out at least 48 acceptances by this date.

I suspect they have already sent at least 48.

Has anyone heard anything who interviewed the very end of January?

• Wow
I suspect they have already sent at least 48.

Has anyone heard anything who interviewed the very end of January?

I interviewed on 1/31. I haven’t heard back but I did see that some people on here got accepted from late January interviews.

Does Kaiser review applications through March with interviews extending into April, or is everything pretty much wrapped up (including interviews) by end of March?

Does Kaiser review applications through March with interviews extending into April, or is everything pretty much wrapped up (including interviews) by end of March?
Everything is pretty much wrapped up in March as I understand it. A few people on the thread got “end of cycle” emails, so it sounds like they’re just about done with looking at apps/interviewing.

Last edited:
Everything is pretty much wrapped up, as I understand it. A few people on the thread got “end of cycle” emails, so it sounds like they’re just about done with looking at apps/interviewing.
:(

sorry! Were you hopefully accepted elsewhere?

Was the rejection an end-of-cycle email or a more traditional rejection email ?
Yes, sitting on 1A, with 2 WLs so I wasn't heart broken. It was the end-of-cycle e-mail. Funny, when I heard these e-mails were going out last week, I was tempted to withdraw my application before the R ha!

Reactions: 2 users
thought they had to be by friday?

I think technically by March 15th they only have to issue at least as many acceptances as they have spots. If they’ve already done that, I don’t think they have an obligation to let everyone else know before then.

thought they had to be by friday?
they need to send 48 acceptances by friday. if they have already accepted that many, then they have no obligation to send anything before that date. if they haven't then yes, there should be some movement before friday. during my interview date they stated there were still seats available but that could mean either seats from the original 48 or seats in that they planned on accepting more then 48

I haven't gotten either a rejection or an invitation for an interview. So, I guess that is a silent acceptance? See you in fall then!

(Just kidding)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I haven't heard anything since my interview back in mid-August. Can't believe its been almost 7 months. I'm interested to know of my decision, but not really expecting much anymore lol

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Received that pre-II R just now as well! Good luck to all those who interviewed and are awaiting their decisions :)

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I haven't heard anything since my interview back in mid-August. Can't believe its been almost 7 months. I'm interested to know of my decision, but not really expecting much anymore lol

yup same, I'm assuming they interviewed about 700 people for a class size of 48..... so odds don't look that great post-ii

R just now, complete late Aug, almost made it to césar chávez day :(

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I also got the pre-II R just now. Complete 7/30. OOS, LM 70-72. Vet.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users