2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard because the class size is so small! If it were any other school, I would feel safe that at least one person accepted from each batch would be posting on here. Trying to stay optimistic that there are still slots for those later interviews available (2/26 without a word)! But also pessimistic enough to think people might have gotten in that just don't post on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard because the class size is so small! If it were any other school, I would feel safe that at least one person accepted from each batch would be posting on here. Trying to stay optimistic that there are still slots for those later interviews available (2/26 without a word)! But also pessimistic enough to think people might have gotten in that just don't post on SDN.

If you'd like my honest opinion here is where I think things are at. As of March 15th, the school was required to give out 48 acceptances at minimum (the size of their first-year class). This means if every single one of these people accepts the seat, then they have no more seats. This is unlikely to happen, although it is questionable exactly how many people will drop their acceptance. If admitted students do plan to drop their acceptance, they will likely do it close to April 15th or April 30th (important days bc AMCAS traffic rules). It is unlikely that Kaiser would be willing to have more than 48 accepted students at a given time bc they have no analytics from previous years about what their retention could be like and its a huge mess when more accepted students want to attend then you can fit in your class. So what this means is that we are likely going to be placed on a formal waitlist at some point, rejected, or the pool of post II applicants are being seen as a sort of informal waitlist and will be pulled from as spots open.

Reactions: 4 users
Commit to enroll date isn’t till like April 30th if I remember correctly. Bruh, If they make us wait that long without waitlist or R notification...

I'm curious how many will be accepted in total! Bored while quarantining so I speculated below, read on if interested (but I might be completely off-base).
Most schools seem to accept approximately twice the number of students and assume yield of 50% (+/- 5%). KP seems like a wildcard: on one hand, it's new and not yet established/prestigious, but on the other hand the location, free tuition, and KP network are big positives. They certainly can't over-enroll while still seeking full accreditation so I can't imagine them accepting over 48 students at any given time, more likely to create a large alternate list and pull from there. However, it seems every single one of the accepted students have received either need or merit based scholarships which bring total cost of attendance to $0 all four years - I'd imagine students pulled from the alternate list would receive these as well.
Taken together, this is my best estimate:
Maybe they have accepted ~10 students who have already withdrew and an additional 48 for a full class to meet the 3/15 AMCAS requirement. Of these 48, perhaps 20 more will eventually withdraw and matriculate elsewhere as financial aid info is released from other schools and waitlist movement begins.
That would mean a total 78 acceptances for 48 spots (yield of ~60%, slightly higher than most schools) and an additional ~20 students from this point on will be taken from the alternate list.
But who knows!

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today @ noon. Unexpected!

Edit: Interviewed on their first interview date, very early in the cycle.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 23 users
Congrats!!! Did you get a call or email first?

tried to call the office to ask whether the 3/20 decision deadline has been extended, nobody picked up, which is 100% expected since they probably can't work in the office anymore. If anybody wants to reach out to ask something, email is probably your best shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Email, no call as of yet.

Edit: Dean just called.
Congratulations!!
>>>>>2019-2020 MD: - 60 | - 58 so far | II - 30| IA - | A - 16 | R - 16 | WL - 4
You have 16 acceptances and 4 WL. Must be hard to choose one school :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!!! Did you get a call or email first?
Did anyone get a response through email about the decision deadline extending or not?
Email, no call as of yet.

Edit: Dean just called.
I'm curious if they've sent all their last acceptance emails out then, just running down the call list.

At this point I'll gratefully take a WL. Still the days not over yet and the prospect of not having to worry about all that debt while I try to focus on training is a golden one. Not to mention the case based team learning, which I personally love.

Reactions: 1 users
Eating Tyson chicken with my cat, Kaiser, looking at me, as I await a dreaded rejection notification

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Eating Tyson chicken with my cat, Kaiser, looking at me, as I await a dreaded rejection notification
Hey can't be sure. Could be a WL! That's what I'm hoping for. Got some Tyson Chicken Thighs in my crockpot. Making some homemade butter chicken. Nom nom

Now if only good cooking could translate into As...:unsure:
Haha I definitely asked a lot of questions about the open kitchen on interview day. I love the idea of getting the students together for potlucks. Love sharing a good meal and conversation

I have made it my entire dating aged life without being ghosted and I'm not going to start now. WHERE ARE THE F*CKING DECISIONS TYSON?????

Bouncing between rage and desperation

Attachments

• D779DC24-D429-455B-A183-47794E859EE8.jpeg
    D779DC24-D429-455B-A183-47794E859EE8.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Haha
Come on Kaiser, I want our relationship to be Permanente, not Temporal.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Kaiser will send all their decisions by next week. Source: I asked

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Oh

Attachments

• B97C843F-A03C-4CEF-A2CD-736C23278B0F.png
    B97C843F-A03C-4CEF-A2CD-736C23278B0F.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Love
This is the only school left on my list that I haven’t heard anything from since submitting my secondary. No pre-II R or anything.
Want that rejection to come so my excel sheet I use to track my apps looks more complete :laugh:

• Haha
  • Hmm
Withdrawing post-interview

News reports like this make me highly skeptical Kaiser truly cares for the average employee/person

Just curious... withdrawing because of the radio silence post interview? Or because of the article?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to post the same thing. I'm withdrawing too. They just canceled a $900 million building project in Oakland. Makes me think Kaiser might be strap for cash with the economic downturn.
In the article it explicitly says the decision was made not because of the coronavirus pandemic.

What confuses me is how people are jumping to conclusions about the medical school based on what is happening at one Kaiser hospital. Seems too rash in my opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious... withdrawing because of the radio silence post interview? Or because of the article?

I have always been skeptical of an insurance giant being directly involved in healthcare (some posts made before in this thread illustrate that). I fault myself as I doubt had there not been this free-tuition opportunity, I would have given any credence to the idea that they operate out of benevolence, not the bottom-line, and gifted them this benefit of the doubt for so long. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have an acceptance somewhere else that I feel truly does care about the needs of its staff and local community, so there’s no reason for me to continue being under consideration when I’m no longer interested.

As a semi-side note, I do think how schools/hospitals react during this pandemic is important. It sheds a lot of light into their true priorities and whether profit or life/health is of the utmost importance.

Reactions: 5 users
I have always been skeptical of an insurance giant being directly involved in healthcare (some posts made before in this thread illustrate that). I fault myself as I doubt had there not been this free-tuition opportunity, I would have given any credence to the idea that they operate out of benevolence, not the bottom-line, and gifted them this benefit of the doubt for so long. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have an acceptance somewhere else that I feel truly does care about the needs of its staff and local community, so there’s no reason for me to continue being under consideration when I’m no longer interested.

As a semi-side note, I do think how schools/hospitals react during this pandemic is important. It sheds a lot of light into their true priorities and whether profit or life/health is of the utmost importance.
If in fact nurses were told they would be fired on the spot for wearing their own PPE, that certainly is a bad look and should have been handled differently.

However, your incorrect note about KP as a seemingly for-profit insurance giant which affects care outcomes in a negative way is way off base. Unlike the biggest health insurance companies in the US (United, Anthem, Aetna, Cigna, Humana), which are all for-profit, KP insurance is nonprofit. Their insurance supports their medical groups, which are completely physician led and similar to other medical groups across the country. So, not a nefarious company full of suits that profits at the expense of patients and employees, as you seem to suggest.

So far, KPSOM touts being an independent entity, and it’s thus too early to make a judgment on the medical school over the actions of a section of its parent organization (do the actions of Mayo or Cleveland Clinic necessarily reflect on Mayo SOM or Case Western?).

KPSOM has yet to prove itself either way, so to praise or criticize it is meaningless. I do think though that withdrawing solely over this poor company (again, company =| school) policy or the news that Kaiser is canceling a building project is hasty. The cash funding for KPSOM is locked in for almost the next decade anyway.

• Love
So far, KPSOM touts being an independent entity, and it’s thus too early to make a judgment on the medical school over the actions of a section of its parent organization (do the actions of Mayo or Cleveland Clinic necessarily reflect on Mayo SOM or Case Western?).

KPSOM has yet to prove itself either way, so to praise or criticize it is meaningless. I do think though that withdrawing solely over this poor company (again, company =| school) policy or the news that Kaiser is canceling a building project is hasty. The cash funding for KPSOM is locked in for almost the next decade anyway.

I agree with this to a certain extent - except for one thing. Due to Step 1 becoming pass/fail, I do think the likelihood of matching into a Kaiser residency has gone up (that is, I anticipate that if other residencies don't want to take a chance on Kaiser students without a quantifiable Step 1 score, Kaiser residencies will probably take you). If you don't care where you go for residency, this is perfectly fine.

However, I specifically want to avoid matching into Kaiser for residency, which makes me wary of attending. I think there are reasonable points on both sides and it is worth noting that many CA laypeople I spoke to said Kaiser has a great reputation. Additionally, there are a few medical professionals I spoke to who said Kaiser has a unique way of practicing that doesn't transfer well to other systems, but they pay their doctors really well. My takeaway was that the system has its pros and cons and we can't say for sure what will happen. The risk is a calculated one that people should take time contemplating, and the answer is probably different for everyone.

I agree with this to a certain extent - except for one thing. Due to Step 1 becoming pass/fail, I do think the likelihood of matching into a Kaiser residency has gone up (that is, I anticipate that if other residencies don't want to take a chance on Kaiser students without a quantifiable Step 1 score, Kaiser residencies will probably take you). If you don't care where you go for residency, this is perfectly fine.

However, I specifically want to avoid matching into Kaiser for residency, which makes me wary of attending. I think there are reasonable points on both sides and it is worth noting that many CA laypeople I spoke to said Kaiser has a great reputation. Additionally, there are a few medical professionals I spoke to who said Kaiser has a unique way of practicing that doesn't transfer well to other systems, but they pay their doctors really well. My takeaway was that the system has its pros and cons and we can't say for sure what will happen. The risk is a calculated one that people should take time contemplating, and the answer is probably different for everyone.
That's certainly true for the first couple of years as the initial classes build KPSOM's reputation to residency directors. I considered and subsequently ignored that point because I am an MD/PhD, so not only are my residency prospects different, I graduate in ~8 years. Long enough for the trailblazers to have proven KPSOM students to be worth their salt ;)

Last edited:
That's certainly true for the first couple of years as the initial classes build KPSOM's reputation to residency directors. I considered and subsequently ignored that point because I am an MD/PhD, so not only are my residency prospects different, I graduate in ~8 years. Long enough for the trailblazers to have proven themselves to be worth their free tuition ;)

Yup, the choice is going to be different for everyone, and I think you're making a well-reasoned decision based on your own situation!
I don't think decisions here are as simple as "Free = Attend " "Kaiser is bad = Don't attend".
Additionally, I encourage a healthy skepticism of ALL corporations and institutions. We are all going to sign our lives away to one for 4 years, and I think a new school is especially deserving of extra scrutiny.

its going down next week, may the odds be in your favor
Oh final decisions are next week? I thought they were BY next week.

Does anyone know if there are even spots left?

I know COVID is understandably screwing stuff up. Hell I'm feeling it hard. I get the joy of having to file for unemployment now each week and find new creative ways to workout.

I don't think there are any spots (for now), there are at least 60 applicants on the FB page, so they definitely admitted more than 48 students

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

They were required to give out at least 48 A’s a few weeks ago. So we’re all just waiting to hear about WL vs R, except possibly a couple additional A’s if accepted people have withdrawn their applications

I don't think there are any spots (for now), there are at least 60 applicants on the FB page, so they definitely admitted more than 48 students
Darn, but good to know. I'm happy for them. It's an awesome opportunity.

Since COVID-19 is still a big part of everyone’s lives. I wanted to share what KPSOM has said about the situation for applicants that may be admitted in the future due to others releasing their acceptances. I’m sharing this because I think it’s important that people know who a medical school truly is and what they value. With this being their inaugural class there aren’t prior classes to observe their response. At the 2nd look what they made clear is that KPSOM is a separate entity from Kaiser Permanente. Meaning that if you have different opinions and want to advocate for something that is against KP this school will teach you how to advocate for that. Specifically for COVID-19, they have set up a fund in the form of a grant for students affected financially by the virus and that they are exploring remote learning if the virus has not leveled out by the start of classes.

For me, this made me feel a lot more secure in my decision to attend the school. Hope this information helps some people.

Reactions: 14 users
if I'm gonna get rejected, I'd like it to be tomorrow so I can play it off as an April Fools joke lmaoo

• Haha