2019-2020 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary says 1 semester psychology required, website says 1 semester psychology recommended. I guess I will just leave it blank. Thoughts?
I never took psychology and this is confusing me too. I've emailed their admissions office to see whether it's actually a requirement or just a recommendation!

I'm not a student anywhere anymore so I hope I don't end up having to sign up for a community college/state school spring psych 1 course...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I never took psychology and this is confusing me too. I've emailed their admissions office to see whether it's actually a requirement or just a recommendation!

I'm not a student anywhere anymore so I hope I don't end up having to sign up for a community college/state school spring psych 1 course...

So it says on website that is only recommended. Also, within the secondary (on either the FAQ or on the requirements page) it is not listed under their prereqs. so I think we are good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email reply from Pitt! Psychology is recommended and not required!

Anybody have their letters not received by pitt? All my other schools have gotten them from amcas except here

On the second page of the secondary is a “Are you interested in LGBT” box. You click it and get an email before you even submit
Wow!! so good to know they are so LGBTQ+ and ally friendly

Reactions: 4 users
Did any of you answer the "Is there anything additional that you would like to address that is not already reflected in your application" question? I will usually use my diversity essay for that prompt, but Pitt already had a diversity question. I'm worried that writing a "why Pitt" essay would seem forced

Did any of you answer the "Is there anything additional that you would like to address that is not already reflected in your application" question? I will usually use my diversity essay for that prompt, but Pitt already had a diversity question. I'm worried that writing a "why Pitt" essay would seem forced
I did why pitt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got my II today, which was my first! OOS, LizzyM is 77. Marked complete 7/11.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Is the optional essay truly optional? They already ask for a diversity essay, I'm not quite sure what else to put here.

Are you guys submitting your diversity essay in response to this prompt? "UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application."
It's phrased a little differently than most diversity prompts. Also I was going to discuss an extracurricular activity that's listed in the activities section of my primary.

Are you guys submitting your diversity essay in response to this prompt? "UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application."
It's phrased a little differently than most diversity prompts. Also I was going to discuss an extracurricular activity that's listed in the activities section of my primary.
I don’t think it’s different than most diversity prompts. Seems pretty standard to me.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually did answer it differently! My diversity/challenge essays are similar and my diversity essay has centered around my experiences being gay/working with unique populations and this was all already in my app. So I wanted to take a different stab at this. I talked about some unique educational programs I participated in whie in Ugrad, then talked about hobbies and ways I relieve stress outside of school. I think the way they phrase theirs really gets at "enliven", which is different than diversity. I approached it more like "why am I an interesting/fun/different" person rather than just "diversity"

I actually did answer it differently! My diversity/challenge essays are similar and my diversity essay has centered around my experiences being gay/working with unique populations and this was all already in my app. So I wanted to take a different stab at this. I talked about some unique educational programs I participated in whie in Ugrad, then talked about hobbies and ways I relieve stress outside of school. I think the way they phrase theirs really gets at "enliven", which is different than diversity. I approached it more like "why am I an interesting/fun/different" person rather than just "diversity"
Got it, thanks. I was worried because most diversity essays seem like they're asking you how you will apply it to being a physician. I think the wording and everyone's responses make it seem like you could take it either way: diversity or why I'm fun

So for the challenging problem did people tend more to work/professional conflicts, meaning something that was blatantly solved, or more adversity? My adversity is more coping not direct "resolving," but I'm hesitant to write on a professional like group work issue that seems more shallow and something everyone has faced

So for the challenging problem did people tend more to work/professional conflicts, meaning something that was blatantly solved, or more adversity? My adversity is more coping not direct "resolving," but I'm hesitant to write on a professional like group work issue that seems more shallow and something everyone has faced
I took it to mean professional .

so I don't have a formal stats class, anyone know the policy on applying without a prereq?

You've likely figured this out by now but for anyone else that's wondering: I emailed admissions about this and statistics is a hard requirement. I have a year of calculus but that can't substitute. Waste of a primary fee but oh well, I probably should have looked these things up before.

• Sad
My first II! So excited

Edit: LM 75 OOS complete 7/09

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys,

I am confused about the course requirements for Pitt. I was on a quarter system and only had to take one quarter of biochem.

For Pitt their course requirements says that "Bio-Chemistry - Requirement: one half year of coursework." According to AMCAS my biochem class was 2.70 semester hours. Am I not allowed to apply to Pitt if less than one half year of coursework?

Pitt doesn't mess around when it comes to that LGBT email... I got the email twice immediately after checking the box. Haven't even submitted yet.
I'm so dead, I clicked it got the email and was like "god is that you?"

For Pitt their course requirements says that "Bio-Chemistry - Requirement: one half year of coursework." According to AMCAS my biochem class was 2.70 semester hours. Am I not allowed to apply to Pitt if less than one half year of coursework?
I believe you are fine if that is a 4 QH course. However, to confirm, hit up admissions. Either way, you can still apply, you just may need an extra class prematirculation.

I believe you are fine if that is a 4 QH course. However, to confirm, hit up admissions. Either way, you can still apply, you just may need an extra class prematirculation.

This may sound stupid but what does qh mean?

For the diversity question, should we not talk about any activity that was already mentioned in our primary app?