-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Pittsburgh
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm gonna put my volunteer lab work there.3 questions:
1) For entering hours, are y'all putting the "OT Hours" or "Sem Hours" from your verified AMCAS?
2) For the MSTP CV section, what are you putting for "Other Extracurricular Activities or Professional Certifications or Skills?" I figure Employment History is for paid jobs, so I was going to put volunteer lab research stuff under the EC section at least.
3) How many characters/words are you all going to use for the MSTP prompt? (Briefly describe what appeals to you about the faculty member(s) in your selection, and how the selected graduate program and our MSTP match your interests.) I figured this could be pretty brief, maybe 250-500 words?
Mine's just under 500 words, I was worried it's too long but unsure. Words build up quickly when you discuss faculty interests haha
Does anyone know if Pitt is receptive to in the area emails?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else unable to access the student host list? I emailed the contact they gave for the program about it but haven't yet heard back. Will book a nearby hotel if I need to but am trying to avoid it.
I couldn't access the list, already booked other accommodations.Anyone else unable to access the student host list? I emailed the contact they gave for the program about it but haven't yet heard back. Will book a nearby hotel if I need to but am trying to avoid it.
Secondary submitted (7/30), complete email right after 🙂
wikidoctor
Full Member
I called admissions, and they said the list will be out in the next few weeks before the first interviews startAnyone else unable to access the student host list? I emailed the contact they gave for the program about it but haven't yet heard back. Will book a nearby hotel if I need to but am trying to avoid it.
D
deleted972488
II!!!
YESSSSSS congrats!!!II!!!
9
907914
The feeling of surprise and terror when that II hits you outta nowhere. Congrats!II!!!
Attachments
zeerabiscuit
Full Member
Congrats to those with IIs! When we’re y'all complete?
D
deleted972488
7/8Congrats to those with IIs! When we’re y'all complete?
AMCASTuesdays
I heard vaccines killed Jenny Schecter
Congratulations!!! 🙂II!!!
II yesterday, complete 7/16
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gooood lord folks, II!
Internationalphysician
Full Member
when were you complete? stats pleaseGooood lord folks, II!
when were you complete? stats please
complete 7/8 LM74
D
deleted972488
I don't think any of us can give you a good answer. Sorry.Last year I applied super late because I took the MCAT 6/29, got my scores like 7/28, submitted my primary on 8/4, and submitted my secondary to Pitt on 10/9. I got an interview invite 10 days later and had my interview mid November. I thought it went super well, but I got waitlisted.
I obviously know I applied extremely late, but I'm curious if anyone thinks that I could have been solely interviewed for the waitlist? Someone told me before that very late interviews are sometimes only for spots on the waitlist. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks!!
PS this is not to freak anyone out or anything... it is still super super early in the cycle. I've just been trying to figure out reasons for why I could've been waitlisted.
I would not consider mid November a “late” interview. Pretty normal interview timeframeLast year I applied super late because I took the MCAT 6/29, got my scores like 7/28, submitted my primary on 8/4, and submitted my secondary to Pitt on 10/9. I got an interview invite 10 days later and had my interview mid November. I thought it went super well, but I got waitlisted.
I obviously know I applied extremely late, but I'm curious if anyone thinks that I could have been solely interviewed for the waitlist? Someone told me before that very late interviews are sometimes only for spots on the waitlist. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks!!
PS this is not to freak anyone out or anything... it is still super super early in the cycle. I've just been trying to figure out reasons for why I could've been waitlisted.
D
deleted987519
Did anyone reach out to PITT about student hosts for interviews?
sadpremed121
Full Member
Also wondering this. The student host link doesn’t work for me.Did anyone reach out to PITT about student hosts for interviews?
D
deleted987519
Also wondering this. The student host link doesn’t work for me.
My guess is they are waiting for students to volunteer as hosts...just curious if anyone knows for sure what the gig is
D
deleted972488
Also wondering this. The student host link doesn’t work for me.
I think someone said the list will populate closer to the interviews.My guess is they are waiting for students to volunteer as hosts...just curious if anyone knows for sure what the gig is
D
deleted972488
I called admissions, and they said the list will be out in the next few weeks before the first interviews start
D
deleted987519
I think someone said the list will populate closer to the interviews.
Thanks Embryonal

D
deleted996731
LM score? Complete date?unexpected interview this early on!!! super excited. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about pitt having a very high waitlisting rate? Is this just a myth?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
See the past cycle's pitt med thread hereunexpected interview this early on!!! super excited. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about pitt having a very high waitlisting rate? Is this just a myth?
Would it be wrong to talk about hobbies on the diversity essay? I put everything else I could possibly think of that is rather unique to me on my primary. I could definitely elaborate more on those things but the prompt makes the mention of talking about things not found on the rest of my application. What did other people talk about?
wikidoctor
Full Member
Would it be wrong to talk about hobbies on the diversity essay? I put everything else I could possibly think of that is rather unique to me on my primary. I could definitely elaborate more on those things but the prompt makes the mention of talking about things not found on the rest of my application. What did other people talk about?
I wrote about a specific quality I had that would help me benefit the community. Briefly wrote about some experiences to back it up.
II today - MD OOS
+1, Congrats
II today OOS! LM 72 and very very very excited about this. Pitt is my top choice so I'm really looking forward to being in Oakland for this one!
Wear some comfy shoes, we have lots of hills here *Flashback to me running up hills during interview day showing up sweaty AF in my suit*II today OOS! LM 72 and very very very excited about this. Pitt is my top choice so I'm really looking forward to being in Oakland for this one!
If you'd like to visit and have the time (+expenses) ask the admissions office for students to show you around the city.
D
deleted972488
I am in danger.we have lots of hills here
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to get a better pair of leather shoes..Wear some comfy shoes, we have lots of hills here *Flashback to me running up hills during interview day showing up sweaty AF in my suit*
If you'd like to visit and have the time (+expenses) ask the admissions office for students to show you around the city.
I'm looking forward to going back because I used to live in the area. I'm especially looking forward to getting tasty Chinese food in Squirrel Hill, checking out the Cathedral again, and getting boba in Oakland lol
Last edited:
+1!II today - MD OOS
the_expert
Full Member
Anybody complete 7/18 or after receive a II?
My 2 new favorite spots:Thanks for the advice! I'll have to get a better pair of leather shoes..
I'm looking forward to going back because I used to live in the area. I'm especially looking forward to getting tasty Chinese food in Squirrel Hill, checking out the Cathedral again, and getting boba in Oakland lol
1. Two Sisters
2. Noodlehead
It's called cardiac hill for a reason...I am in danger.
Internationalphysician
Full Member
Congrats! Complete date, please?II today OOS! LM 72 and very very very excited about this. Pitt is my top choice so I'm really looking forward to being in Oakland for this one!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted987519
I know everyone that applies gets a secondary, but anyone know their MCAT screening?
Per MSAR, they have a really wide range (as low as ~505 if I recall correctly) so if they do screen it is pretty generous...
blackbird23
Full Member
If we were complete 7/8 and no II yet does this mean we were passed over?
D
deleted972488
NoIf we were complete 7/8 and no II yet does this mean we were passed over?
July 9!Congrats! Complete date, please?