2019-2020 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

3. Is there anything additional that you would like to address that is not already reflected in your application? (Optional – Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Pittsburgh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble with the log in? It keeps telling me my user ID is wrong, but its not??

Members don't see this ad :)
I was having trouble with logging in, just reset the password and it worked.

Reactions: 2 users
@PapaGuava

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

3. Is there anything additional that you would like to address that is not already reflected in your application? (Optional – Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

So for the challenge essay, are people using their adversity/obstacle essay or writing more about a specific challenging problem/situation (ex: challenge working in a team or research problem)?

Reactions: 1 users
Pitt doesn't mess around when it comes to that LGBT email... I got the email twice immediately after checking the box. Haven't even submitted yet.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
so I don't have a formal stats class, anyone know the policy on applying without a prereq?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received and submitted!

Btw, does anyone else's LORs appeared to have duplicated? o_O I originally had 4 assigned, but for some reason they've all repeated so it appears that I assigned 8 letters to the school.

so I don't have a formal stats class, anyone know the policy on applying without a prereq?

Did you have biostats? Or something similar? In general, prereqs don't matter so much for being accepted, but they may make you take the class before matriculating if you choose to attend.

Also, submitted and complete.

3 questions:

1) For entering hours, are y'all putting the "OT Hours" or "Sem Hours" from your verified AMCAS?

2) For the MSTP CV section, what are you putting for "Other Extracurricular Activities or Professional Certifications or Skills?" I figure Employment History is for paid jobs, so I was going to put volunteer lab research stuff under the EC section at least.

3) How many characters/words are you all going to use for the MSTP prompt? (Briefly describe what appeals to you about the faculty member(s) in your selection, and how the selected graduate program and our MSTP match your interests.) I figured this could be pretty brief, maybe 250-500 words?

Secondary received, submitted, and complete today. H2P and good luck guys!

For course name/number did y'all put Intro to Chem/CHEM 1231, LB OR Intro to Chem/1231, LB ... I have LB bc my lab was included.

So for the challenge essay, are people using their adversity/obstacle essay or writing more about a specific challenging problem/situation (ex: challenge working in a team or research problem)?

Sounds like both can work

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have their spaces/blank lines remove from essays after submitting?

For the course requirements section, I come from a quarter system school. Should I convert my class credit units to semester units?

Do they screen before sending secondaries or just send to everyone who fits some minimum? My stats aren't super competitive for them however I live close by and I’m hoping they liked the rest of my application

Yeah, I agree. I went with my adversity/obstacle essay

I think the difficulty is that there is also an open-ended diversity-type question and an "anything else" question. Too many choices, don't know what goes where especially since my adversity can be diversity :(

I personally wrote a totally different one because the word “problem” and “resolved” had me thinking less of like personal stuff and more of professional

^^I've heard from prior applicants (so word of mouth only, take it with a HUGE grain of salt) that they want a sort of professional/work related challenge (i.e. group project member wasn't helping out, how you worked around it)

Uh is anyone else seeing that their LORs are listed twice? Somehow all my letters were sent twice to Pitt. I did all my letter assigning in one go and have not run into the issue with other schools

Uh is anyone else seeing that their LORs are listed twice? Somehow all my letters were sent twice to Pitt. I did all my letter assigning in one go and have not run into the issue with other schools

I wouldn't worry about it.

I am going to have a wildly diverse ADCOM if I get an interview:

"List your interests - Pathology, Global Medicine, Emergency Medicine"

• Haha
"All sciences require an academic year of lab"

I only have one 3 credit Ochem Lab...Will I need to take more next year?

Edit: Disregard - their website says "or one single 2 credit lab"

Google is my friend.

Complete immedietly upon submission. No duplication of letters. Y'all wack.

What's the deal with the diversity essay? Does it literally mean you can't talk about the experiences or activities from the primary, or that you just have to present new takeaways/angles on it

What's the deal with the diversity essay? Does it literally mean you can't talk about the experiences or activities from the primary, or that you just have to present new takeaways/angles on it
If your primary application is diversity galore, I would approach it from a novel angle. If you have no mention of diversity-oriented stuff in your primary then go wild.

You have not yet been invited to schedule an interview. ;)

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Secondary says 1 semester psychology required, website says 1 semester psychology recommended. I guess I will just leave it blank. Thoughts?

Secondary says 1 semester psychology required, website says 1 semester psychology recommended. I guess I will just leave it blank. Thoughts?

Did you take psychology? It doesn’t hurt to put it if you have it...

If you took psychology, put in the extra 25 seconds of effort to indicate that you did.

If you took psychology, put in the extra 25 seconds of effort to indicate that you did.

LOL sorry forgot to mention I havent taken psychology, thats why I was concerned. just wondering if its really required or not based on the secondary/website.

LOL sorry forgot to mention I havent taken psychology, thats why I was concerned.
Lol gotcha. Yah, then leave it blank if you have not. But I would def recommend taking it as an elective next year if you will still be a student.