-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Weill Cornell
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I don’t think anyone has a detailed understanding of how they calculate EFC. It is very much a case by case basis, and the financial aid team is more than willing to sit down on a zoom call and explain every part of it to you.Honestly, if it doesn’t make financial sense, I’ll probably drop the WL. It would be great to get detailed EFC information from current and accepted students.
I personally thought that their package was insanely GENEROUS considering I was expecting to take out 100% loans based on what I was calculating.
I thought this was a decent estimator, easy and very fast with no questionnaire precursor.Honestly, if it doesn’t make financial sense, I’ll probably drop the WL. It would be great to get detailed EFC information from current and accepted students.
EFC estimator
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't worry to much about this! Before receiving an II, I sent my update in the wrong format too (completely ignore how they wanted me to save it). If you're really anxious about it (like I was), you can call to confirm it was received and associated w my file lol ... but I'm sure it was 🙂me before april 30: chillin, livin life, whatever happens will happen
me now: sweating, convinced that they threw out my application just because i didn't realize they wanted a specific format for the file names of update letters
Ahh! Got the call tonight, accepted off the WL!! :"^)
Congrats!! What time?Ahh! Got the call tonight, accepted off the WL!! :"^)
it was around 9pm EST!Congrats!! What time?
Also just got a call today evening! Director Smith was adamant it was a real call, haha
Yes! Also as a heads up, they are working remotely so the call won't have caller idAlso just got a call today evening! Director Smith was adamant it was a real call, haha
nymedschoolfan
Full Member
happygoose
Full Member
Congrats! Did you get your call around the same time?Also just got a call today evening! Director Smith was adamant it was a real call, haha
I got mine around 10pm EST. She was working real late!Congrats! Did you get your call around the same time?
People are getting off WL while I haven’t even gotten confirmation email yet from that WL email..... yikes
jfijiefjieji
Full Member
Hopefully there will be more calls going out this week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
stressed0-0
Full Member
Got the call! Around same time - 9pm EST
For people that got off the WL, did you send letters of intent? If so, around when?
Last edited:
FBIburneraccount
New Member
Also are y’all from NY?For people that got WL, did you send letters of intent? If so, around when?
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
So I sent my letter of intent to the admission office and to the associate dean Bardes last week. I got the automatic update confirmation from the admissions office and then also a thank you email from associate dean Bardes. Should I have sent it to Director Smith, or do you guys think it doesn't make a difference?
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
I think there will be since its the first day and it was nighttime!Hopefully there will be more calls going out this week.
So I sent my letter of intent to the admission office and to the associate dean Bardes last week. I got the automatic update confirmation from the admissions office and then also a thank you email from associate dean Bardes. Should I have sent it to Director Smith, or do you guys think it doesn't make a difference?
I don’t think it makes a difference since the dean replied in your case. I sent one in March to the admissions email and dean Bardes and didn’t get a reply from dean Bardes at all lol. I’m thinking of sending another one to make sure they got it
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
Dean Bardes legit only said “thank you”, so I’m not reading into it don’t worry at all.I don’t think it makes a difference since the dean replied in your case. I sent one in March to the admissions email and dean Bardes and didn’t get a reply from dean Bardes at all lol. I’m thinking of sending another one to make sure they got it
But I think you should call the admissions office to see if they received it because I think they normally take only a few days to give confirmation for updates.
Also - did you send it to [email protected]
Dean Bardes legit only said “thank you”, so I’m not reading into it don’t worry at all.
But I think you should call the admissions office to see if they received it because I think they normally take only a few days to give confirmation for updates.
Also - did you send it to [email protected]
Yea i sent it to the update email and got confirmation, just no word from the dean. I haven’t gotten confirmation yet for my WL interest email though, just worried about that cuz what if they don’t think I’m interested anymore lol
I just called the admissions office yesterday, they left a voicemail today. they said they’re backed up on emails but to hang on tight!Did you guys get an email confirmation ?
michiganderrrr
Full Member
For people that got off the WL, did you send letters of intent? If so, around when?
got the call yday night--i sent in my letter of intent during the second week of april, and had sent a letter of interest earlier in january.
not from NY!
Can confirm a +11 to the FB group in the last 20 hours, 10 females 1 male, likely to make up for our female exodus lol.
Stay hopeful! Still possible people will drop A's as they themselves get WL movement from other schools.... and it's only been one day of movement🙂
Stay hopeful! Still possible people will drop A's as they themselves get WL movement from other schools.... and it's only been one day of movement🙂
happygoose
Full Member
Thank you for your updates. Hopefully there will be some more movement this week! I’m guessing they’re a little backed up since they haven’t processed all of waitlist confirmations.Can confirm a +11 to the FB group in the last 20 hours, 10 females 1 male, likely to make up for our female exodus lol.
Stay hopeful! Still possible people will drop A's as they themselves get WL movement from other schools.... and it's only been one day of movement🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year someone reported getting an offer off the WL on June 27.Hey! Waitlister here!
WCMC is my dream school, but the waiting game is fraying my nerves...
at what point is it smart just to give it up and move on?
Last year someone reported getting an offer off the WL on June 27.
I think that's ok for people who don't have another acceptance, but that's too long for me. I will probably be withdrawing soon.
Plus, they left a bad taste in my mouth the way they handled released acceptances. I didn't think it was cool or the best way to do it.
What do you mean? I mean, yea, they took look really long, but they did it by the March 15th, which they said they would :/Plus, they left a bad taste in my mouth the way they handled released acceptances. I didn't think it was cool or the best way to do it.
Bucgator24
Full Member
I think that's ok for people who don't have another acceptance, but that's too long for me. I will probably be withdrawing soon.
Weill Cornell is a top choice for me. It has a slight edge over my current school. I’m going to stick to the waitlist until the end of May. I feel that waitlist movement is going to continuously be decreasing. I think last night they refilled their class. I could be wrong, but I doubt they call people until 10pm for only a few slots. Of course not all of those people will accept the offers.
lardon
New Member
Plus, they left a bad taste in my mouth the way they handled released acceptances. I didn't think it was cool or the best way to do it.
Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to put the school down? I'm on the WL too, didn't see an issue with how they handled releasing acceptances. If anything it seems as if you're poorly masking your attempts at rallying sentiment against the school in hopes that other people will drop.
Also a dream school for me but seeing such a large first wave of movement that already seems to replace the people that dropped the A makes me think that further movement will be pretty minimal 😢😢😢Hey! Waitlister here!
WCMC is my dream school, but the waiting game is fraying my nerves...
at what point is it smart just to give it up and move on?
They rejected people on March 15. They barely answered any questions over the phone. It was very poorly handled. And that wouldn't stop me from attending, but I didn't like it at all. My experience of getting waitlisted/rejected by other schools was much better.What do you mean? I mean, yea, they took look really long, but they did it by the March 15th, which they said they would :/
Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to put the school down? I'm on the WL too, didn't see an issue with how they handled releasing acceptances. If anything it seems as if you're poorly masking your attempts at rallying sentiment against the school in hopes that other people will drop.
That may be what other people do, but I'm not like that. The school that I have been accepted to and will most likely attend also could be improved. Their decisions process is fine, but their interview day could be better. I want this grueling process to be improved for all applicants, not based on whether a school accepts me or not.
happygoose
Full Member
I have a bit more hope given that Director Smith started making calls late last night. There might be some more movement in the coming days. Also, the fact that not everyone has received a confirmation makes me wonder about how behind they are..Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to put the school down? I'm on the WL too, didn't see an issue with how they handled releasing acceptances. If anything it seems as if you're poorly masking your attempts at rallying sentiment against the school in hopes that other people will drop.
Also a dream school for me but seeing such a large first wave of movement that already seems to replace the people that dropped the A makes me think that further movement will be pretty minimal 😢😢😢
Why complain about how they're handling it, just drop the waitlist if its that big of a deal to you. Sheesh
You've been pretty adamant with your distaste of this school. I'm not sure why you keep posting on here about "probably" dropping your WL, but never actually doing it. Drop the school and move on?That may be what other people do, but I'm not like that. The school that I have been accepted to and will most likely attend also could be improved. Their decisions process is fine, but their interview day could be better. I want this grueling process to be improved for all applicants, not based on whether a school accepts me or not.
I understand that it's annoying, but others schools, like HMS, also release all their decisions in one day, including rejections. It sounds a bit like you are putting down the school and administration to soften the blow of the waitlist/not getting the A (yet). Just hang in there, there is still a lot of time left.They rejected people on March 15. They barely answered any questions over the phone. It was very poorly handled. And that wouldn't stop me from attending, but I didn't like it at all. My experience of getting waitlisted/rejected by other schools was much better.
upwardsandonwards
Full Member
I'm just surprised and confused by how the waitlist movement started already if they're behind on the waitlist confirmation. I thought in the initial email (when decisions came out) they said they would review all the applicants from the waitlist pool prior to making a decision. So it's a little strange to me the way the WL movement started when a few people on here haven't received a confirmation. that means they didn't consider the entire waitlist pool for the A's sent yesterday?
but also have no clue how this process works
but also have no clue how this process works
Why complain about how they're handling it, just drop the waitlist if its that big of a deal to you. Sheesh
Ok I'm gonna leave the thread for now because it seems like things are going in another direction. I will probably drop the WL in a week or two. So whether or not y'all believe it, it really bothered me that some applicants had to wait until March 15 to find out they were rejected. I didn't mind being WL'ed that late, but I think it was pretty bad to have people wait that long for a rejection. That's just me.
It was my top choice for a long time, but I highly doubt it can compete with the financial offer I received at another school. And I also think they're very slow about letting people know what their financial aid package will be.
WCMC is a wonderful school with fantastic resources and if they accepted me in a timely manner and offered me the same financial package I'm getting at another school, I'd go there. That said, their process is not above criticism, but this is not the time or place to do it.
For the waitlist ppl, they said to have FAFSA and/or CSS filled out for quick response on finaid. I only did the fafsa, did anyone also do the CSS profile? Wondering if I need to do that as well
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the waitlist ppl, they said to have FAFSA and/or CSS filled out for quick response on finaid. I only did the fafsa, did anyone also do the CSS profile? Wondering if I need to do that as well
i've also only done the FAFSA, keep procrastinating CSS profile :/ don't want to go through it and then not be accepted, but also would like quicker response on finaid. i believe they are both required
hungry_african
Full Member
They don’t review all for each seat. I bet they have the WL split into categories and review the categories to best replace the candidates that declined admission. Makes sense why it seems mostly women have been admitted so far if mostly women declined.I'm just surprised and confused by how the waitlist movement started already if they're behind on the waitlist confirmation. I thought in the initial email (when decisions came out) they said they would review all the applicants from the waitlist pool prior to making a decision. So it's a little strange to me the way the WL movement started when a few people on here haven't received a confirmation. that means they didn't consider the entire waitlist pool for the A's sent yesterday?
but also have no clue how this process works
Just to let you know Cornell doesn’t match any merit aid.Ok I'm gonna leave the thread for now because it seems like things are going in another direction. I will probably drop the WL in a week or two. So whether or not y'all believe it, it really bothered me that some applicants had to wait until March 15 to find out they were rejected. I didn't mind being WL'ed that late, but I think it was pretty bad to have people wait that long for a rejection. That's just me.
It was my top choice for a long time, but I highly doubt it can compete with the financial offer I received at another school. And I also think they're very slow about letting people know what their financial aid package will be.
WCMC is a wonderful school with fantastic resources and if they accepted me in a timely manner and offered me the same financial package I'm getting at another school, I'd go there. That said, their process is not above criticism, but this is not the time or place to do it.
I'm aware! I made the tough decision of withdrawing from the WL today. I stayed for this long because of the potential of getting accepted and receiving some comparable, not necessarily equivalent, financial aid. Earlier I indicated some disapproval about the admissions process, and people took that as me not liking the school or trying to raise trouble. But I genuinely just want the application cycle to be better. Fortunately, from what I'm seeing on r/premed, some others share that sentiment.Just to let you know Cornell doesn’t match any merit aid.
Anyways, congrats to everyone who has been accepted and best of luck to those who are still waiting. I hope you receive a decision swiftly. And for those who care, I encourage you to get involved in the admissions process and make some change from within.
Since I’m superstitious I filled out both but who knows what that doesFor the waitlist ppl, they said to have FAFSA and/or CSS filled out for quick response on finaid. I only did the fafsa, did anyone also do the CSS profile? Wondering if I need to do that as well