2020-2021 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pre-II R just now. OOO but from New England. shucks! Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
II just now! Complete 8/17. IS! The first available slot was December 22. This is my first interview so I am SO EXCITED

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Got the A this morning!! IS and interviewed 11/10. That was fast!

EDIT: I will also add that I did not attend any Q&A's prior to getting the A.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A! Interviewed 10/29. Out of state.

I just wanted to encourage all of you who might be waiting to hear back. I feel that I’m a rather mid tier applicant and OOS so I wasn’t sure what my chances were at the school.

The MMI was fun but I for sure didn’t do that well at each station. In fact, I was so nervous I’d be rejected and never receive other IIs that I was having nightmares for an week.

In the end, good things do happen! I want all of you to keep your heads up. We’re still in the thick of it, and you never know what tomorrow might bring. Seriously!

Please PM me if you want to chat about this school!

Reactions: 9 users

I just wanted to encourage all of you who might be waiting to hear back. I feel that I’m a rather mid tier applicant and OOS so I wasn’t sure what my chances were at the school.

The MMI was fun but I for sure didn’t do that well at each station. In fact, I was so nervous I’d be rejected and never receive other IIs that I was having nightmares for an week.

In the end, good things do happen! I want all of you to keep your heads up. We’re still in the thick of it, and you never know what tomorrow might bring. Seriously!

Congrats!! Did you also interview for the PURCH track by any chance?

Reactions: 1 user

Nice! Were you placed on active consideration or just straight up accepted?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! No active consideration email. I think this might be because I was notified relatively soon after the interview (3 weeks after). Hope this helps!

Interviewed last week, 11/18, and just received an active consideration letter, only 5 days later. This seems unusually fast. But hopefully a good sign?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interviewed last week, 11/18, and just received an active consideration letter, only 5 days later. This seems unusually fast. But hopefully a good sign?
Same. On one hand this seems positive because 1) its not a rejection and 2) people have been accepted really soon after these emails, but on the other hand it can't be great we've been reviewed and somewhat passed on.

Do we know how to take this email? Success of people from past years?

The email does indeed state that our files were reviewed after the MMI, however it is hard to imagine they could have made any Acceptance decisions that are set in stone given that its really only been 2.5 business days. There is another interview tomorrow I believe and it seems the committee reviews pools of students so they will probably make Acceptance decisions once they finish reviewing tomorrow's interviewees.

It seems they are sent somewhat inconsistently. Some get accepted soon after like you said, I saw a few who waited longer. I also believe I saw some who did not receive this letter at all. Its a lot posts to go through. My guess, it signifies them moving our file around in their system. Given its moving so quickly, I think its a good sign.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone respond to the active consideration email, just to say thank you for consideration, you look forward to hearing from the committee, etc.?

Can you give us any insight on how your interview experience was? Mine is next week and I’m so nervous!

Got active consideration email this morning. I interviewed on 10/29

The email does indeed state that our files were reviewed after the MMI, however it is hard to imagine they could have made any Acceptance decisions that are set in stone given that its really only been 2.5 business days. There is another interview tomorrow I believe and it seems the committee reviews pools of students so they will probably make Acceptance decisions once they finish reviewing tomorrow's interviewees.

It seems they are sent somewhat inconsistently. Some get accepted soon after like you said, I saw a few who waited longer. I also believe I saw some who did not receive this letter at all. Its a lot posts to go through. My guess, it signifies them moving our file around in their system. Given its moving so quickly, I think its a good sign.
I agree with this thinking. And when you say some waited longer, how long did you find that they did? I hope this doesn't turn into a waiting until March/ April situation

I agree with this thinking. And when you say some waited longer, how long did you find that they did? I hope this doesn't turn into a waiting until March/ April situation
I really hope they respond within a month or 6 weeks. I got put on active consideration 3 weeks ago and its been a nerve wracking 3 weeks. I feel like waiting until February would be terrible but it's worth it for the A lol

Like someone previously mentioned, in the thread from last year people who posted they were put on active consideration received acceptance any time from a week later, to all the way up until April-ish. I confirmed this by meticulously reading each post of last year's thread while anxiously eating my way through a pack of oreos. So yeah, you could say I'm thriving.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Like someone previously mentioned, in the thread from last year people who posted they were put on active consideration received acceptance any time from a week later, to all the way up until April-ish. I confirmed this by meticulously reading each post of last year's thread while anxiously eating my way through a pack of oreos. So yeah, you could say I'm thriving.
Oh wow. Do you remember if the ppl hearing back from active consideration in april-ish included some OOS?

Can't tell if I'm just overanalyzing this but - have people who received the active consideration email been rejected/waitlisted? I thought getting the active consideration email was not a good or bad sign, but this is sounding like it is a very good sign?

Can't tell if I'm just overanalyzing this but - have people who received the active consideration email been rejected/waitlisted? I thought getting the active consideration email was not a good or bad sign, but this is sounding like it is a very good sign?
That is the question, isn't it? I assume there are a decent amount of people who either wind up on the waitlist or eventually rejected after active consideration, but the sample size of people posting on here is very limited IMO. Really hard to tell. But hey, they did not out right reject you if you were placed under active consideration, so it is definitely not a bad sign!

For those who interviewed, are you allowed to take notes during 2-minute review of scenario? I know they gave notecards in person but couldn't find info online about virtual

Hello! To respond to my own question and this one:

The interview is in MMI format with 8 breakout rooms on Zoom. Most of the prompts were scenario-based, mixed with ethical considerations. A few prompts asked for personal life experiences.

Overall, it was easygoing! You talk for the most part while your interviewer listens. They have questions to prompt conversation if you run dry. Hope this helps! UMass admissions also hosts frequent Q&A sessions open to everyone so you can ask them about the interview specifically.
were you able to take notes during the 2 minutes?

For anyone who was accepted: did you receive a separate email from a current medical student?

does anyone know if there is an accepted students' facebook page? thanks!
I think we got invited to the Facebook group in March/April this year. It will be a while until FB group is up and running.

Does anyone know if they sent out acceptances either last Friday or today, or if they are taking a type of holiday break from sending out acceptances? I know most other Fridays there had been some but it appears as if the past 2 weeks have been silent.

I got slapped with active consideration today 😞 very sad, I was hoping for good news since it's a Friday lol

Does anyone know if they sent out acceptances either last Friday or today, or if they are taking a type of holiday break from sending out acceptances? I know most other Fridays there had been some but it appears as if the past 2 weeks have been silent.
I interviewed last week and they said ad com meets less around the holidays so this can delay hearing back

Has anyone written a thank you note here post interview? I'm not sure how to do it since it was an MMI and there's not one specific person to write it to. Do you think it would be fine to just send a generic thank you note to everyone involved to the admissions email?

Has anyone written a thank you note here post interview? I'm not sure how to do it since it was an MMI and there's not one specific person to write it to. Do you think it would be fine to just send a generic thank you note to everyone involved to the admissions email?
I sent a general note to the admissions email!

IS II invite today! I had some dates available early Feb. It's my first II of this cycle so very very relieved!

Reactions: 10 users
IS II invite today! I had some dates available early Feb. It's my first II of this cycle so very very relieved!
I am so excited for you! Congrats!! I am in same boat (nothing so far) and praying it changes soon. Each day is so scary lol

• Care
Since it kind of worked a couple months ago for some IS IIs, let's manifest/summon some As (and some more IIs)!!

Reactions: 5 users
Since it kind of worked a couple months ago for some IS IIs, let's manifest/summon some As (and some more IIs)!!
Yes good idea.... Manifesting an II ‘worked’ for me :)
So heck it let’s do it agaiiiinnnnn:
~*~manifesting~*~ As for those of us who have interviewed and are now waiting to hear back (shout out to other PURCH hopefuls in particular ayyy) and IIs for those still waiting to hear back about those!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I am so excited for you! Congrats!! I am in same boat (nothing so far) and praying it changes soon. Each day is so scary lol
The waiting and anxiety sucks so much but your time will come soon!! It depends on schools but things are definitely picking up more, Nov was so so slow as a whole :<

Received II from last week. Complete Aug/Sep. ORM IS LM 70. Dates available were early Feb.

Manifesting IIs for my fellow Massholes and future Massholes :bow:

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I also received an active consideration letter on the 23rd and I interviewed beginning of November- probably when the adcom got together and reviewed people and sent out a wave. Haven't heard anything since :/

Last edited:
Accepted today!!! Interviewed on 11/10 + totally in shock since this is my top choice and first A!!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users