2020-2021 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ii today for February! Submitted secondary 10/09

Any tips for MMI's are much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
II a little earlier (also for early Feb)! LM 72.9, URM, OOS, complete 11/15 (lol I know that date's wild). UMass was part of a group of schools that I nearly gave up hope on, so I submitted my secondary super late and was definitely not expecting to hear anything back, let alone so soon. I'm so grateful and so shook and I honestly don't know which sensation is dominating rn lol. Hoping we all continue to get pleasantly surprised in the coming weeks/months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all II's and A's going out today!

*cries in IS who was complete in mid-august*

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday! IS ORM. I interviewed 11/18 and got an active consideration email 5 days later.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How concerned should I be that other people from my interview date (11/18) have gotten their A’s, and I haven’t heard anything yet? How bad of a sign is this?

has there been a typical timeframe of how long after an interview people have been receiving acceptances? :)

Reactions: 1 user
Also got the R today after an active consideration email. Interviewed 11/4. Good luck guys!

• Care
  • Sad
R after active consideration, interviewed 11/18

• Care
  • Sad
R after active consideration, interviewed 11/18
+1 honestly feel like like of the schools I interviewed at, UMASS cared the least about diversity, so I don't think it would have been a good fit anyways. not really sure what they are looking for haha even their MMI questions were at times strange and not really MMI like

How concerned should I be that other people from my interview date (11/18) have gotten their A’s, and I haven’t heard anything yet? How bad of a sign is this?
At my PURCH interview we were informed that it's normal to not hear back the same day as others who interviewed with you. Apparently each applicant is assigned to a "team". That team can only present a few applicants from their pool at every committee meeting. They only have 1-2 committee meetings per month right now and increase the number of meetings per month later in the cycle to try and give later interviewees an equal opportunity. Therefore, you can be presented to the committee anytime from now to February. This applies to all applicants btw not just PURCH, hope that helps :)

Reactions: 6 users
+1 honestly feel like like of the schools I interviewed at, UMASS cared the least about diversity, so I don't think it would have been a good fit anyways. not really sure what they are looking for haha even their MMI questions were at times strange and not really MMI like
I got the exact same impression when I interviewed here two (?-- the 2018-2019 cycle) cycles ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted earlier today!!! IS and super excited! :) high stats and lots of connections to the school

• Love
Does anyone know what the scholarship/funding situation for OOS students is? It doesn't seem like they offer merit or need-based scholarships and they don't let you qualify for IS status. I really like the school but it feels like it could be one of the most expensive options...

Does anyone know if UMass is still sending out interviews/how far they've booked their current interviews?

Does anyone know if UMass is still sending out interviews/how far they've booked their current interviews?
My friend was invited for one 2 ish weeks ago and the earliest date was early Feb, hope this helps. They're deff still sending them

I just got an II! But also realized that I somehow missed their VITA invite and it's been past 2 weeks fml
How bad is this?

I interviewed 10/29, got an active consideration email 11/23, and haven’t heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat? Was hoping to hear something before the holidays :(
I interviewed mid September, got the active consideration email mid October, and nothing since. It’s definitely nerve-racking, to say the least!!

I just got an II! But also realized that I somehow missed their VITA invite and it's been past 2 weeks fml
How bad is this?
This happened to my friend, they emailed the ad com to apologize and they basically said it's fine just do it asap so I think you're in the clear

Withdrew today! An interview spot should open up for the PURCH program in january.

I like the program but I can't justify the OOS tuition (Rhode Islander).

Do you mind elaborating? I can also DM you if not comfortable sharing on the thread. I'm also a bit worried about diversity at UMass based off what a couple friends have said about the school

Do you mind elaborating? I can also DM you if not comfortable sharing on the thread. I'm also a bit worried about diversity at UMass based off what a couple friends have said about the school
I noticed that diversity seemed to be lacking as well, which also factored into my decision to withdraw.

1. I've attended many different student panels/Q&As at different medical schools. UMass interviewees were notably very, very white. This is also reflected in the MSAR if you look at their proportion of URM matriculants.
2. If you poke around the website there are very few visible faculty/staff of color.
3. Even in the PURCH program (which trains you to work with underserved populations) they recruit such a low proportion of POCs/disadvantaged folks. It's worrisome that they aren't well represented in a program that serves to work with underprivileged populations.

I noticed that diversity seemed to be lacking as well, which also factored into my decision to withdraw.

1. I've attended many different student panels/Q&As at different medical schools. UMass interviewees were notably very, very white. This is also reflected in the MSAR if you look at their proportion of URM matriculants.
2. If you poke around the website there are very few visible faculty/staff of color.
3. Even in the PURCH program (which trains you to work with underserved populations) they recruit such a low proportion of POCs/disadvantaged folks. It's worrisome that they aren't well represented in a program that serves to work with underprivileged populations.
Okay yea these are my thoughts and worries exactly and diversity is also really important to me especially since I'm potentially going to be there for 8 years as an MD/PhD applicant. Sighhhhhhhhhhh I guess we'll see how it goes! Super grateful to have an II but sad that UMass isn't a more diverse school than I thought originally

Okay yea these are my thoughts and worries exactly and diversity is also really important to me especially since I'm potentially going to be there for 8 years as an MD/PhD applicant. Sighhhhhhhhhhh I guess we'll see how it goes! Super grateful to have an II but sad that UMass isn't a more diverse school than I thought originally
Yes basically 90% of interviewees at least were white /European. Most people I know who are there also had strong connections or came from physician households so I just didn't feel like our missions or values aligned.

Just wanted to offer a different opinion. I am working there right now and worked there for last 2 years (undergrad and gap year) in various departments and I wouldn't say that UMass lacks diversity. Just in the department I work right now, there are asian, hispanic and trans attendings. And just seeing the students around campus, it is definitely not just white.

also being a south asian myself, I have always felt very welcomed by the community there. But again I have not looked at the MSAR data; just speaking from experience

Yes basically 90% of interviewees at least were white /European. Most people I know who are there also had strong connections or came from physician households so I just didn't feel like our missions or values aligned.
wow :| I didn't expect this from a state school tbh thought that would be more characteristic of a private med school
sigh welp I guess I'll attend a student Q&A and see how it goes hahaha

• Care
wow :| I didn't expect this from a state school tbh thought that would be more characteristic of a private med school
sigh welp I guess I'll attend a student Q&A and see how it goes hahaha

To offer insight into the convo for those without access to the MSAR, in the past four years the following has been reported:

- Hispanic/Latinx folks number between 3-6 in each year’s class. (23% of Worcester identifies with this demographic)
- Black folks number between 5-11 in each year’s class. (14% of Worcester identifies with this demographic).

• Angry
  • Sad
Can anyone share what language is used in the UC email that makes it seem like a rejection? Everyone is saying it looks like a straight up rejection and I can't handle the anxiety as I await to hear back lol

In the interview how does umass want us to show them our AMCAS ID?
I had it written down and just read it to them out loud. Then they had me hold my driver's license up to the camera - not sure how clearly they could actually see it, but they seemed satisfied!