2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sooooo did the no spaces between paragraph thing only happen to a select few of us haha...

Members don't see this ad.

^^^also unable to put enters or indents between paragraphs. besides combining them into one giant paragraph, how did people work around this??

edit: I combined into one giant paragraph :^)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or do the text boxes not alert you if you're over the character limit? Like we have to make sure we're under 1500 characters with spaces in word, and there's no way to check this on their application portal?

UMichMedMonday #2 coming up! Who else is ready to build their hype up only to be let down tomorrow??

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 29 users
1597618578096.png

• Care
Reactions: 23 users
UMichMedMonday #2 coming up! Who else is ready to build their hype up only to be let down tomorrow??
Happy Michigan Monday, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Reactions: 6 users
Ladies and gentleboys, today we enter round 2 of #UMichMedMonday.

Will UMich grace me with my first II? Will we be blessed with another Carol email? Let us rejoice and refresh the twitter for a chance at the feast.

Reactions: 6 users
It's a supplement to regular Casper and a bit like VITA in the sense that they ask you a question and record your thought process via asynchronous video
How does one even know which schools require this new CASPer Snapshot? We're supposed to go hunt this crap down ? I can't tell you how annoying all these new wrinkles (VITA, CASPer snapshot, etc.) are for us this cycle....and in the middle of a pandemic. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 user
How does one even know which schools require this new CASPer Snapshot? We're supposed to go hunt this crap down ? I can't tell you how annoying all these new wrinkles (VITA, CASPer snapshot, etc.) are for us this cycle....and in the middle of a pandemic. Unbelievable.
Tbh I am not bothering with that crap unless a school tells me to do it. LizzyM said basically the same thing. No school has even mentioned it.

Reactions: 1 users

I did some digging on CASPer's site and there was a pdf about the tool and said they're working on gathering a list of schools who may factor it in. My guess is it will be zero.

Reactions: 2 users
Now everyone sees economics of digitizing and wants to take advantage of it..

Members don't see this ad :)
My first II! Complete 7/20, MSTP.
(Stats: 520, 3.68sGPA, 3.8cGPA)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Oh wow, I always thought umich waited until later in the cycle for IS interviews. Maybe that trend doesn’t apply to MSTP applicants?
MSTP does not consider state residency (federal funding) so theoretically, there should be no difference between when IS and OOS applicants receive IIs for them.

Probably a pointless question but on Mondays, are the II sent out all at once or are they kinda sprinkled throughout the day?

Got an II!!!!! IS (regular MD)

I thought that I would be waiting a few months before hearing anything from UMich. :) HAPPY!!!

Reactions: 15 users
In-staters getting some love today, it seems :) Congratulations, guys!

For those with II: How many interview date options do you get? Is it within 2 weeks or a month out?

For those with II: How many interview date options do you get? Is it within 2 weeks or a month out?

I'm MSTP for reference, but I wasn't given a choice. They gave me a date and said "Please reply to let me know if this date works for you." Mine's on Oct 1-2, so over a month out.

I'm MSTP for reference, but I wasn't given a choice. They gave me a date and said "Please reply to let me know if this date works for you." Mine's on Oct 1-2, so over a month out.

Thanks so much for replying! That’s good to know! And good for the timing you get to prepare. Hopefully I get my II soon! (Just regular MD)

How accurate is the michigan admissions tracker? Right now its at 7300 applicants, which is about how many umich received in total last year.

How accurate is the michigan admissions tracker? Right now its at 7300 applicants, which is about how many umich received in total last year.

makes sense tho bc the deadline for submitting a primary is less than two months away (10/15), so should be about the same

also remember that some won’t be able to move further without an MCAT

I don’t think any of us can speak to exactly how accurate it is, but I don’t have any reason to doubt it and there’s certainly no better source.

My guess is that most applications that will be submitted to UMMS this year have been submitted.

Not to be too neurotic, but the people who replied to the II email to confirm the date they gave you, did you get an email back immediately?

For anyone who has gotten an II, how have you uploaded your HIPAA certificate? The certificate looks like you need to enter a UMID, but I don't think I have one of those?

For anyone who has gotten an II, how have you uploaded your HIPAA certificate? The certificate looks like you need to enter a UMID, but I don't think I have one of those?
I left the UMID blank since we don't have one and there were no instructions on what to put anywhere in the document or the emails soo idk.

If you got an II, for the question about gaps in AMCAS, do I include pandemic gaps or do they just want gaps in the application itself (so before the pandemic)?

If you got an II, for the question about gaps in AMCAS, do I include pandemic gaps or do they just want gaps in the application itself (so before the pandemic)?
To go off of that, are they asking about gap year plans here?

I left the UMID blank since we don't have one and there were no instructions on what to put anywhere in the document or the emails soo idk.

Current M1 at Michigan. For the HIPAA, you are correct about leaving the UMID blank, as that will be assigned to you much later, after you've interviewed and (hopefully!) been accepted.

To go off of that, are they asking about gap year plans here?

This question is about giving you a chance to explain weaknesses in your application, such as poor grades or long periods of time where you had stepped away from activities. You do not need to discuss gap year plans here, as those should already be clear based on your Work and Activities section, other parts of your app, etc. For pandemic gaps (I'm assuming you mean activities that were cut off by the pandemic), I don't think those need to be explained anyway. Activities started just before the pandemic and ones you've barely logged any hours in won't help your app anyway, and those that are long-term but were halted because of COVID will be strong enough to stand on their own.

I was in your shoes not too long ago and the process is nerve-wracking, but it's important to stay positive and focused on what you can do and not on things outside your control. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Current M1 at Michigan. For the HIPAA, you are correct about leaving the UMID blank, as that will be assigned to you much later, after you've interviewed and (hopefully!) been accepted.

This question is about giving you a chance to explain weaknesses in your application, such as poor grades or long periods of time where you had stepped away from activities. You do not need to discuss gap year plans here, as those should already be clear based on your Work and Activities section, other parts of your app, etc. For pandemic gaps (I'm assuming you mean activities that were cut off by the pandemic), I don't think those need to be explained anyway. Activities started just before the pandemic and ones you've barely logged any hours in won't help your app anyway, and those that are long-term but were halted because of COVID will be strong enough to stand on their own.

I was in your shoes not too long ago and the process is nerve-wracking, but it's important to stay positive and focused on what you can do and not on things outside your control. Good luck to all of you!
Thanks for all of the words of encouragement! I am super excited about this interview invite!!! Just need to get through all of the hoops before interview day :nailbiting:

So if your primary explained gap years, poor grades, etc., then I assume you don't need to rewrite it more explicitly here?

So if your primary explained gap years, poor grades, etc., then I assume you don't need to rewrite it more explicitly here?

Honestly, this is a judgement call. The question is an opportunity to do so if YOU feel it's necessary. Excessively drawing attention to negatives goes against general SDN wisdom and common sense imo.

What if I have not spoken about my gap year plans in my primary or UMich secondary at all yet?

What if I have not spoken about my gap year plans in my primary or UMich secondary at all yet?

I think you might be misunderstanding this question. It is meant to explain weaknesses in your app, if you feel the need to do so. What I meant about discussing gap years is that the majority of applicants likely projected hours for activities they will be/are engaging in this year, so the adcom will already know how you are planning to spend your time.

To be clear, this is not the place to simply highlight your accomplishments or plans, including gap years. It is best left empty if you cannot point to a major, specific flaw or gap in your application that an adcom could question. Also, given that >80% of my class has taken at least 1 gap year, a gap year is not a weakness.

PSA: Give yourself a little credit. You've gotten the II, and that's not an accident, especially at Michigan.

I think you might be misunderstanding this question. It is meant to explain weaknesses in your app, if you feel the need to do so. What I meant about discussing gap years is that the majority of applicants likely projected hours for activities they will be/are engaging in this year, so the adcom will already know how you are planning to spend your time.

To be clear, this is not the place to simply highlight your accomplishments or plans, including gap years. It is best left empty if you cannot point to a major, specific flaw or gap in your application that an adcom could question. Also, given that >80% of my class has taken at least 1 gap year, a gap year is not a weakness.

PSA: Give yourself a little credit. You've gotten the II, and that's not an accident, especially at Michigan.
Alright, I got it!! Thank you!

Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it but please be aware this is minute and nitpicky and I am in the middle of an intensive block in med school :/
Is every med school in these charts? I noticed some missing, such as Oakland University William Beaumont and Central Michigan.