2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II rejection Just Now OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hey a little late to the party. Accepted this evening around 5:00pm CST. Interviewed 12/11 OOS.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Odds of them releasing decisions two days in a row?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any January post II decision yet?
2 people who interviewed on 1/21 and 1/26 reported R's on 3/1, but haven't seen anything other than that! Edit: Someone who interviewed 1/7 reported a WL on 3/10 too, haven't seen any A's for January interviews yet though.

Reactions: 1 users
Forgot to post, but I was accepted yesterday! OOS, 4.0, 514.
I was also accepted to the Duluth campus, so I am not really sure how that works now? Does anyone know when they will start sending financial aid?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I was also accepted to the Duluth campus, so I am not really sure how that works now? Does anyone know when they will start sending financial aid?
Congrats! I believe they send need based aid packages in July but I'm not sure if that also applies to merit-based scholarships.

Congrats!!! :love:Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! When were you accepted to Duluth?

Anyone know what the last interview date is and/or if they are done sending invites? Thanks!

Anyone know what the last interview date is and/or if they are done sending invites? Thanks!
Hopefully they aren’t done. I haven’t received word one way or the other. I can’t imagine they would just tell those who were complete before the deadline “tough luck” but I could be naive and or wishfully thinking that 🤣

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully they aren’t done. I haven’t received word one way or the other. I can’t imagine they would just tell those who were complete before the deadline “tough luck” but I could be naive and or wishfully thinking that 🤣
When were you complete?

I know someone complete early November who just heard back.

One of my co-workers just received a pre-II R with the notice that they will be sending her a refund for the secondary because they "weren't able to complete a holistic review" of her application. I didn't ask when she was complete because she was pretty bummed. Not sure if this means they are done sending II? Edit: Attaching a photo of the email she sent me.

Attachments

• TC Pre-II R.JPG
    TC Pre-II R.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
One of my co-workers just received a pre-II R with the notice that they will be sending her a refund for the secondary because they "weren't able to complete a holistic review" of her application. I didn't ask when she was complete because she was pretty bummed. Not sure if this means they are done sending II? Edit: Attaching a photo of the email she sent me.

how awful. 😢

• Care
Sorry to hear that. Do you know when she completed her secondary?
Does this imply that all or almost everyone who completed later than her would receive a pre-II R?

Sorry to hear that. Do you know when she completed her secondary?
Does this imply that all or almost everyone who completed later than her would receive a pre-II R?
I don't know unfortunately, I think she did submit later in the cycle though. I'm not sure what their admissions process is, but maybe her stats screened her out as well as submitting late?

• Care
sorry about your coworker. i know that isnt an easy response to deal with. however, and this is probably an unpopular opinion, but i think UMN should be commended for doing this and being so transparent with it. I am certain that there are multiple schools where my app wasnt reviewed in time, but they will not be providing me with the courtesy of a refund.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
So I also got the Pre-II R today, and I’m not surprised, granted, I submitted my application late. When they sent us the email early February discussing the increase in application pool, I had a feeling that they were overwhelmed with the amount of applicants for this cycle and their ability to review all applications in a timely manner.

But the email stated, ”The file review process for interviews has come to an end” They also said because of the increase in applications this cycle they were not able to complete a full holistic review of my application. So im assuming from this email that they will not be sending out anymore II’s.

It definitely sucks but I completely understand. Also at the of my email they left me with some kind and encouraging words. I don’t know if this part of the email was also sent to everyone, but regardless I really appreciated it. Congrats to everyone who got accepted, I know you all will be amazing physicians!!!!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
So I also got the Pre-II R today, and I’m not surprised, granted, I submitted my application late. When they sent us the email early February discussing the increase in application pool, I had a feeling that they were overwhelmed with the amount of applicants for this cycle and their ability to review all applications in a timely manner.

But the email stated, ”The file review process for interviews has come to an end” They also said because of the increase in applications this cycle they were not able to complete a full holistic review of my application. So im assuming from this email that they will not be sending out anymore II’s.

It definitely sucks but I completely understand. Also at the of my email they left me with some kind and encouraging words. I don’t know if this part of the email was also sent to everyone, but regardless I really appreciated it. Congrats to everyone who got accepted, I know you all will be amazing physicians!!!!
Sorry to hear this. Expecting mine any moment 🤣😭😭 Just curious when were you complete??

• Care
Does anyone happen to know whether or not they completed the "first wave" of acceptance offers? Maybe the folks who interviewed later in March know....just curious!

Does anyone happen to know whether or not they completed the "first wave" of acceptance offers? Maybe the folks who interviewed later in March know....just curious!
Interviewed early March and we were told that 200 acceptances have been given out and we were essentially interviewing for waitlist spots. They also had a decent number of applicants on the waitlist spot too.

Interviewed early March and we were told that 200 acceptances have been given out and we were essentially interviewing for waitlist spots. They also had a decent number of applicants on the waitlist spot too.
Ok thanks, what date was your interview?

Did they say how many were on the waitlist?

Does this mean no more As for January interviewees?

Does this mean no more As for January interviewees?
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm doing a terrible job of keeping up with this forum, have any January folks been accepted yet? Sorry guys if this has already been addressed!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm doing a terrible job of keeping up with this forum, have any January folks been accepted yet? Sorry guys if this has already been addressed!
I haven't seen any acceptances for January people in the thread. I interviewed 2/11 and never received the "you're interviewing for a WL spot" email, so I was hoping maybe I had a chance at an A, but sounds like not anymore if they've given out 200 already. :( Edit: I wish UMN would send an email to the remaining interviewees if they really have extended all their first-wave acceptances already.

Reactions: 3 users

I wonder how that works because they were still giving out As this week?

Does this mean January peeps should hear back next week? Hopefully, starting with Jan 7th interviews?
Are any more December people still waiting?

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly feel like UMN will tell us when all 200 slots are full. Why be so transparent to us, updating us with emails, letting interviewees know they may be interviewing for a wait-list spot and then not let us know, ya know? If the class is truly full, I bet we will hear within a week or two. I could be wrong, but I really think they will..

Reactions: 5 users
I honestly feel like UMN will tell us when all 200 slots are full. Why be so transparent to us, updating us with emails, letting interviewees know they may be interviewing for a wait-list spot and then not let us know, ya know? If the class is truly full, I bet we will hear within a week or two. I could be wrong, but I really think they will..
i think they've already mentioned to people during interviews that they exhausted their initial round of acceptances.

I'm attending their community day (optional day 2 for interview candidates) tomorrow, I'll let you all know if they provide any more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
  • Love
I don’t think they would given that there is continuous movement with people withdrawing their acceptances as other schools release decisions.

Hey beautiful people, sharing my notes from Day 2:

Admissions cycle: They are currently on-pause with acceptance offers but will continue making decisions regarding applications (i.e., your applications will still be reviewed and a decision made, it will just likely not be communicated yet) and will start to make more offers of acceptance for sure around April 30th. They could start making offers sooner than that date as they anticipate people applied to more schools than usual, due to virtual interviews. Additionally, medical school staff have been asked to remain working at home until August, but if they open the campus up, they will email us should we desire to visit the campus prior to orientation. My general impression was that Crystal seemed optimistic about their ability to offer more slots in April. Ultimately, their goal is to fill the class by July 1st.

Curriculum: Lectures are recorded and the medical students have more flexibility than you realize; the culture is collaborative, not competitive, due to the Pass/Fail system, for example, students will post study guides they created prior to exams

Financial Aid / Scholarship Advice: 1) Complete your FAFSA, add UMMS as one of your schools; 2) Consider student jobs/research assistantships as they pay for part of your tuition (anywhere from 25%-100%) and also provide a stipend, there are positions already posted and they recommend students start networking now; 3) Once you are accepted, you can ask about your financial aid qualifications and apply for anything available at the University; 4) The admissions office does award full rides, 50% (2 years), and smaller scholarships and these are "rolling awards" that start now and will likely end by July 1st, there's a specific criteria for each of these awards (not necessarily just based on merit) as they are based on the donors recommendation; 5) The financial aid office has their own process for scholarships, you can reach out to them directly about those awards

I hope this is helpful and feel free to message me if you have anymore questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users