2019-2020 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent a LOI and I got accepted!
Were you on the High Priority Wait List? When did you interview if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m caught on whether or not I want to send an LOI...I’m assuming the waitlist is ranked if they have high priority and regular distinctions. I can’t imagine a letter would move you up on that list if you’re already ranked. What are your guys thoughts?

Edit: im currently on the HPWL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I’m caught on whether or not I want to send an LOI...I’m assuming the waitlist is ranked if they have high priority and regular distinctions. I can’t imagine a letter would move you up on that list if you’re already ranked. What are your guys thoughts?

Edit: im currently on the HPWL

It can't hurt to tell them you're still interested. I believe they would prefer to take someone interested in accepting rather than continue to accept people that may withdraw. Your proof to them that you will accept their offer could be a letter of interest. That being said no one here truly knows the answer. Best of luck.

did we ever figure out if there was a difference between hpwl and wl

It can't hurt to tell them you're still interested. I believe they would prefer to take someone interested in accepting rather than continue to accept people that may withdraw. Your proof to them that you will accept their offer could be a letter of interest. That being said no one here truly knows the answer. Best of luck.

Thank you! I appreciate the insight. Best of luck to you too!

Whelp, all admitted check emails, looks like we’ll probably be online for 1st semester

Reactions: 2 users
Whelp, all admitted check emails, looks like we’ll probably be online for 1st semester
Wish someone would start a groupme for the admitted students so we could all struggle together now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! 1st year here. I heard about you guys potentially being online for first semester which must be very sad/stressful. Please let me know if you have any questions. If you’re part of the fb page feel free to message any of the M1s!

Does anyone know how to get to the portal if I can't find the email?

Has anyone analyzed last years forum to see when majority of WL movement is?

I don’t know why I’m being so psycho about this letter of intent but If anyone wants to read over it I would appreciate you so much:) I don’t know what I’m doing:)

I don’t know why I’m being so psycho about this letter of intent but If anyone wants to read over it I would appreciate you so much:) I don’t know what I’m doing:)

I'm happy to read it over! Feel free to send me a DM.

Has there been any waitlist movement?

Is there a specific forum for waitlisted applicants at SB?

Isn’t it pretty bizarre that some of us have still not heard back post interview? I wish they would send some communication that they are having some delays, rather than leaving us in limbo

Isn’t it pretty bizarre that some of us have still not heard back post interview? I wish they would send some communication that they are having some delays, rather than leaving us in limbo
Has anyone reached out to see when we can expect to hear back?

Officially withdrew, good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 9/12/2019 , HPWL 1/9/2020 ------> ACCEPTED THIS MORNING! So excited as this was my top school!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
HOLYYYYY ACCEPTED OFF THE HPWL I AM SHOOK!!! Who knows if that LOI did anything people but it didn’t hurt me!!! Oh good luck to all of you DM me if you have any questions :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
June 15th!
Thats the deadline? i.e. on downstates website it's july 13, einstein is july 17! I'm on the WL at SB so I'm just wondering how much time I'd have to decide between the other A and a possible SB A if received. Thank you!

Thats the deadline? i.e. on downstates website it's july 13, einstein is july 17! I'm on the WL at SB so I'm just wondering how much time I'd have to decide between the other A and a possible SB A if received. Thank you!
Accepted SB students have to commit to enroll (rather than just PTE) by June 15th (each school has their own date that they set) - I think the amount of time you have to decide for WL depends on when you get taken off - if it's at least a month before orientation or matriculation, the school has to give you 5 business days to make a decision but if it's less than a month before school starts, you're given 3 days to accept or reject (I believe)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted SB students have to commit to enroll (rather than just PTE) by June 15th (each school has their own date that they set) - I think the amount of time you have to decide for WL depends on when you get taken off - if it's at least a month before orientation or matriculation, the school has to give you 5 business days to make a decision but if it's less than a month before school starts, you're given 3 days to accept or reject (I believe)
Thank you!

What are accepted students thinking about housing? Are any of you thinking of moving out to LI regardless of online classes or not? I feel like it would be nice to get set up (especially establishing in state residency) and lockdown would be less restricted by August/Sept. Not sure if I should be signing a lease or waiting on more info.

Reactions: 3 users
What are accepted students thinking about housing? Are any of you thinking of moving out to LI regardless of online classes or not? I feel like it would be nice to get set up (especially establishing in state residency) and lockdown would be less restricted by August/Sept. Not sure if I should be signing a lease or waiting on more info.

Also curious about this! My parents live on LI so I could live with them, save rent $$, and easily move in mid year. I just don't know how much housing would be available if I chose to move in later.

I saw that people above posted something about admitted students getting an email about classes being virtual for the fall?

An email was sent out saying that SBU wanted to do online classes for the first semester but was waiting on the SUNY Chancellor's approval, so nothing is set in stone yet. Yea, I've found a nice place with some med students, and I'm worried about the nice/cheaper locations being unavailable if I look around January. also thinking about if they might open up in-person things in the middle of the semester. Lots of unknowns haha

Just withdrew my app after not hearing since my interview in January loll. Headed to wake but dang stony get it together! Best of luck to all of you :)

Just had the craziest thing happen... emailed stony brook asking for any updates on my app. Less than 10 minutes later, I got accepted via email. Is this a coincidence or ???

Reactions: 4 users
Just had the craziest thing happen... emailed stony brook asking for any updates on my app. Less than 10 minutes later, I got accepted via email. Is this a coincidence or ???

Who did you email? Oh and congrats !

They must’ve been like “whoops forgot to hit send on this acceptance email!” but congrats, excited to be your classmate!