2019-2020 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think there's any chance of pushing that date back? I got nothing with need based aid unfortunately and I'd like to hold out for WLs at schools with more generous financial aid.
Maybe, but I really doubt it - it would be awkward emailing them to ask, because it would show that you're hoping to go to another school or not fully committed to SB, ya know? (even though I fully believe FA is a good reason to pick one school over another, idk if admissions feels the same)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke to assistant dean Agnetti and from what I heard, you don't actually have to designate the school as PTE on April 30th to hold your spot. So long as you email your intention to enroll, pay the deposit, and sign the standards form, you should be good to go. Maybe I'm just playing with fire.

Oh God if given the choice I would definitely go to SBU so please if you don't want to go there withdraw so that hopefully I can get in thru the waitlist door lol. I am desperate and it shows sorry guys

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to assistant dean Agnetti and from what I heard, you don't actually have to designate the school as PTE on April 30th to hold your spot. So long as you email your intention to enroll, pay the deposit, and sign the standards form, you should be good to go. Maybe I'm just playing with fire.
I would suggest you get that in writing before you act on it.

Oh God if given the choice I would definitely go to SBU so please if you don't want to go there withdraw so that hopefully I can get in thru the waitlist door lol. I am desperate and it shows sorry guys
Amen

Reactions: 1 users
Same. How do we know if we are on high priority versus normal waitlist?
Haven't seen HPWL since early january/december. Maybe they combined the two (W and HPWL) midway through the cycle? It'd be unlikely that there wouldn't be any HPWL applicants over 3 months of interviews

Haven't seen HPWL since early january/december. Maybe they combined the two (W and HPWL) midway through the cycle? It'd be unlikely that there wouldn't be any HPWL applicants over 3 months of interviews

Yeah there only seemed to be a few during that one wave early on

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

don't be that guy, dawg

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone speak on the financial aid offer at Stony Brook? This might help ppl decide whether they want to come here or not
I for once know a student there that got need base aid but it's not much

So I interviewed here on January 30th. It's now Choose Your Medical School Day and I have not heard anything from them- there's nothing in my inbox, spam folder, and no update on communication status (last email sent to me wa 1/6). I haven't followed up because I had an acceptance that I knew I would take over this one anyway, but it's strange, right? Has this happened to anyone else?

• Dislike
So I interviewed here on January 30th. It's now Choose Your Medical School Day and I have not heard anything from them- there's nothing in my inbox, spam folder, and no update on communication status (last email sent to me wa 1/6). I haven't followed up because I had an acceptance that I knew I would take over this one anyway, but it's strange, right? Has this happened to anyone else?

Yup, interviewed 2/21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)

Same for me. Interviewed 2/6

Hi folks, does anyone know how we can withdraw? I can't find the option anywhere.

I heard somewhere that we get weekends off on 3rd year rotations. Can anyone speak to the truth of this?

Also, I checked with the financial aid office but I just wanted to confirm with you guys--if I'm out of state, I can apply for in-state residency in time to qualify for in-state tuition my second year?

Last edited:
I heard somewhere that we get weekends off on 3rd year rotations. Can anyone speak to the truth of this?

Also, I checked with the financial aid office but I just wanted to confirm with you guys--if I'm out of state, I can apply for in-state residency in time to qualify for in-state tuition my second year?
Yes you can apply for 2nd year

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone actually asked the admissions team what their tier was on the waitlist, or if high priority vs. normal waitlist emails were just speculation? Do we know if we are even permitted to know our tier?

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone actually asked the admissions team what their tier was on the waitlist, or if high priority vs. normal waitlist emails were just speculation? Do we know if we are even permitted to know our tier?
There IS HPWL and reg WL and ppl were told which one they were placed in via email. However, we won't know any specifics.

So I'm guessing you PTE'd to Stony?

There IS HPWL and reg WL and ppl were told which one they were placed in via email. However, we won't know any specifics.
Ok so if my email doesn't say the words high priority specifically then I am on regular waitlist?

I may or may not have. AMCAS guidelines aren't the law of the land if you know what I mean. Those damn graded preclinicals.
According to the current MS1s, curriculum is P/F until after spring break of your first year. Anatomy, biochem, PHD and the other course are all P/F.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. Best of luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
Yup. Stony brook is astoundingly inactive compared to a lot of other schools right now. I hope everyone there is doing okay.
This thread has been more active than in previous year. But stony Brook is definitely dealing with a lot of COVID 19 patients and things are closed rn
They even recruited nurses from Upstate.

in the student Q&A they said weekend rotations weren't common (but could happen) and most of them work with your normal schedule during the week

Have any incoming MS1s heard from the school since commit/PTE? There seems to be low communication/activity on their part...

in the student Q&A they said weekend rotations weren't common (but could happen) and most of them work with your normal schedule during the week

M1 Here - Yeah, weekends aren't common, but dependent on interest at times. If you're on OBGYN or surgery and want more exposure, you could do something on the weekend. I haven't heard of it being "strongly encouraged" or mandatory, though.

Upperclassmen tend to work more when they're intending on going into that field.

Have any incoming MS1s heard from the school since commit/PTE? There seems to be low communication/activity on their part...

Sorry if admin aren't as communicative right now. It's a busy time! Join the accepted student facebook group if you have questions - lots of current students on there that are happy to help!

Recently joined the class page, it seems packed so it doesn’t seem like many people withdrew

Bored rising MS4 that should be studying for Step 2, but COVID messed up my perfectly designed schedule so procrastination time! Any questions I can field for people?

Any waitlist so far?
Replied to you but it got deleted. Currently 165 on the Facebook page - I would estimate about 1/2 new students, half old. Means lots of spots of people who haven't joined yet or haven't committed, etc. SB has gotten more competitive in the last few years and the amount coming off the waitlist decreasing, but anecdotally I think most movement for my class was around May 8-15th. The school admin has been pretty on top of things this year but the COVID thing is hitting them hard as well; I wouldn't be surprised if things were delayed. I know some classmates who got of the waitlist a couple years ago in June though

Replied to you but it got deleted. Currently 165 on the Facebook page - I would estimate about 1/2 new students, half old. Means lots of spots of people who haven't joined yet or haven't committed, etc. SB has gotten more competitive in the last few years and the amount coming off the waitlist decreasing, but anecdotally I think most movement for my class was around May 8-15th. The school admin has been pretty on top of things this year but the COVID thing is hitting them hard as well; I wouldn't be surprised if things were delayed. I know some classmates who got of the waitlist a couple years ago in June though
Thank you

Seems like 30-40 current students, 120 new ones
Oh I haven't scanned it that closely; just joined today. Our class was the biggest entering class at 134 (now I think we're at 138 or something) - other classes around us about 120-130. So not sure how much movement there will be, but definitely know in previous years there have been some off the waitlist in June.

Received an offer from MSTP yesterday!

does anyone know how receptive stony brook is to updates and LOI?