2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I sincerely apologize for causing any panic! :( we won’t find out about UCSF until late December to January :( I’m so sorry.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I am SO SORRY!! This is supposed to be on the UCSD page! I sincerely apologize! How do I delete it?
Don't delete it at this point this was comical and made my day LOL We can use some comedy during this time of stress

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an II for MD/PhD? Second MSTP interview date is coming up.

was anyone told when we're hearing back in their interview day? wondering when I should be on the lookout

was anyone told when we're hearing back in their interview day? wondering when I should be on the lookout
Not for at least another month. I believe they said we'd hear back sometime in January at my interview day.

Not for at least another month. I believe they said we'd hear back sometime in January at my interview day.

I think for people interviewed earlier (late Sept - Oct) will hear in the mid-December and those interviewed later (Nov - Jan) will hear in the mid-January. That's what UCSF did for ~past 10 years and I don't think any delays are expected amid the covid-19.

I think for people interviewed earlier (late Sept - Oct) will hear in the mid-December and those interviewed later (Nov - Jan) will hear in the mid-January. That's what UCSF did for ~past 10 years and I don't think any delays are expected amid the covid-19.
I wonder what it'll be for me cause I interviewed nov 3!

I wonder what it'll be for me cause I interviewed nov 3!

Hmm... that seems to be a tricky date haha! I have no idea about how the admission process works but could be either Dec or Jan? Can't wait any loner to hear the decision o_O

Early October!
If you interviewed early October and they told that you you'd hear back January then the soonest anyone will hear back is prob January. The adcom said on your interview date that January is the soonest to hear back?

If you interviewed early October and they told that you you'd hear back January then the soonest anyone will hear back is prob January. The adcom said on your interview date that January is the soonest to hear back?
They told my interview group acceptances start mid December. MSAR says acceptances start Jan 4th if that matters
@Sockomockey says mid December. Btw my interview day was the earliest (late September), and we didn't hear at that time anything about the decision timeline. MSAR says Jan 4th but the UCSF website says December. Usually, the website gives more reliable information than MSAR does so I think it will be mid-Dec for my interview date.

It was more that they said we'd "probably" hear back early/mid January. Maybe they gave a conservative estimate on purpose. I suppose it doesn't matter much - all I can do is wait in either scenario.

@Sockomockey says mid December. Btw my interview day was the earliest (late September), and we didn't hear at that time anything about the decision timeline. MSAR says Jan 4th but the UCSF website says December. Usually, the website gives more reliable information than MSAR does so I think it will be mid-Dec for my interview date.
I interviewed 10/3! I believe they said the earliest we would possibly hear is mid December, they def didn't make any promises though

Hmm... that seems to be a tricky date haha! I have no idea about how the admission process works but could be either Dec or Jan? Can't wait any loner to hear the decision o_O
Yes! haha i looked back at the 2019-2020 UCSF thread and people who interviewed early november heard back in december only if their interviewers submitted an evaluation in time... praying my interviewers did that!

Reactions: 2 users
Waiting for here is the WORST especially knowing the decision will probably be after the break

Have there been any new R waves? Complete 9/10 and haven’t heard anything

I know I shouldn't be attached to a single school since it's such a crap shoot, but it's so hard to be excited about interviews anywhere else when this school has been my dream school for years that perfectly fits my interests, is near home, has a ton of my friends and my SO, and hasn't sent me a II :'(

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I know I shouldn't be attached to a single school since it's such a crap shoot, but it's so hard to be excited about interviews anywhere else when this school has been my dream school for years that perfectly fits my interests, is near home, has a ton of my friends and my SO, and hasn't sent me a II :'(
When were you complete? I’m in a pretty similar boat, super close ties but it’s ok!

• Love

Yeah, from what it seems like, they were getting to the secondaries submitted during the first week of September. And honestly, if you submitted the app earlier in July or August you've clearly not been rejected and are still in the running. Wouldn't worry till January, good luck to all of us!

• Love
When were you complete? I’m in a pretty similar boat, super close ties but it’s ok!
Completed mid August and I also applied to PRIME, I know it's still early, and few PRIME people have heard back, it's still feels bad though haha

So is UCSF mcat blind for post-ll decisions or nah? This has been a debate on this forum but do we have a consensus?

So is UCSF mcat blind for post-ll decisions or nah? This has been a debate on this forum but do we have a consensus?

The question I want to ask first is how many people got IIs without any MCAT score. If most people have MCAT score available anyway, they will probably consider it as a selection factor but at the post-II phase regardless of this year's special circumstance amid pandemic, MCAT might be just one of many other factors...

I think the general thing I've seen online is that they're mcat blind for giving IIs, but they'll use it if it is there for post-II decisions.

I think the general thing I've seen online is that they're mcat blind for giving IIs, but they'll use it if it is there for post-II decisions.
In the interview they explained that the entire application (including MCAT) will be available to the committee at the time of decision.

In the interview they explained that the entire application (including MCAT) will be available to the committee at the time of decision.
So did they use our mcat scores for interview decisions? Or it was blind but now after ll they will see it?

So did they use our mcat scores for interview decisions? Or it was blind but now after ll they will see it?
i know they say they are mcat blind for interviews, but are they actually? if they use it for the final decisions, it seems as though it isn't helpful for them if they do that??

i know they say they are mcat blind for interviews, but are they actually? if they use it for the final decisions, it seems as though it isn't helpful for them if they do that??
we were told that the MCAT was completely blind for interview invites and will ONLY be available at the table when the committee meets at the time of admission decision. Don't know what motivation they would have for lying about this. It's not a money grab as UCSF is fairly selective for secondaries, and extremely selective for interviews.

When it comes down to transparency for the final decision, I think UCSF prides itself on diversity more than stats (still being a strong institution but not as stats obsessed as other T10 programs). The MCAT, now and in previous years as well, has less bearing on your decision than you think (once you pass a certain threshold score I would assume). This can also be supported by the data provided through MSAR (a pretty good wide distribution 10th percentile= 511, 25th=514 Median= 518....) Sooooo the best way I can explain it is that UCSF's plight to fulfill their mission of diversity overrides metrics and leads to a good distribution of stats.

When I say diversity this is not limited to ethnic or economic diversity but also encompasses diversity of experiences (non-trads, career changers, trads...)

Long story short, If you have made it to the interview stage and your MCAT is reasonably good this should not hold you back from admission.

edit: disclaimer, these are just my observations and predications not end all be all. I'm just a premed like all of you after all.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
i think they say that they aren't going to "utilize" it for the IIs, but if you already have MCAT scores at the time of application, they probably will see your MCAT scores. Unlike UCSD where they say that they are going to MASK, UCSF doesn't necessarily say they are masking. haha. I might be wrong. I might just be over analyzing. haha

i think they say that they aren't going to "utilize" it for the IIs, but if you already have MCAT scores at the time of application, they probably will see your MCAT scores. Unlike UCSD where they say that they are going to MASK, UCSF doesn't necessarily say they are masking. haha. I might be wrong. I might just be over analyzing. haha
yah this makes more intuitive sense. Why would they grant interviews to folks whose mcat scores would later disqualify them from admission no matter how well they interview? It would also waste their ll spots with people who have no chance of admission (especially when they already have super limited ll spots), potentially dropping their yield

Just received an II! Soo crazy! I am soo happy.

MCAT 511, 3.98 gpa

Can anyone who has interviewed already share the format? Is it a traditional interview? one on one faculty? Thanks!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users

MCAT 511, 3.98 gpa

Can anyone who has interviewed already share the format? Is it a traditional interview? one on one faculty? Thanks!!!
amazing congrats. when were you complete

MCAT 511, 3.98 gpa

Wow, today has been great for you, congrats! When were you complete?

Wow, today has been great for you, congrats! When were you complete?

Thank you! Today has honestly humbled me... I feel so blessed right now. I literally have had to check my email multiple times today just to ensure that these invitations are real.

I was complete end of September.

• Care