2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had the same question as you. My impression from previous posts and Reddit was that they do send a rejection email. However, can someone more knowledgeable regarding this matter please comment? Thanks all!
I would double check the SDN page for 2019-2020 cycle. I think I remember them being sent out when interviews started but double check for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also finally got my secondary, IS, verified 6/4

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe secondaries are first sent to the applicants the school is more interested in...

• Sad
@TheDataKing Got the MSTP secondary Thursday 8/13
Prompts:
  1. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500w)
  2. If you are 2020 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350w)
  3. Please describe your most recent research project, its importance and how it captured your interest. (500w)
  4. Please list publications, honors and presentations resulting from your research experiences. (500w)
  5. Please briefly describe your reasons for applying to the UCSF MSTP. (250w)
Plus a checklist of program interests (graduate stuff) and a place to enter all your research experiences (...again)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
have prime applicants gotten a secondary yet?

The standard secondary has a box for you to check if you want to apply for PRIME (as well as JMP, or JMP/PRIME), if you check this box, you fill out the PRIME essays on this application.

Primary verified and transmitted 8/5. Still waiting.... :^)
This is nothing to worry about. I was verified in June and transmitted 7/10 and did not receive a secondary invite until 8/4. Some people in this thread were verified in June and are still waiting to get a secondary. You are only 11 days from transmission and their website says expect a 3 to 10 week screening period to get a secondary.

This is nothing to worry about. I was verified in June and transmitted 7/10 and did not receive a secondary invite until 8/4. Some people in this thread were verified in June and are still waiting to get a secondary. You are only 11 days from transmission and their website says expect a 3 to 10 week screening period to get a secondary.

Haha appreciate that :) I just wanted to post to give my fellow August-transmitted (&beyond) friends that this thread isn't entirely filled with 7/10 transmission peeps

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a really stressful process that can come with a rollercoaster of emotions, but I don't think there's any reason to fear the worst at this point. UCSF is known for releasing secondaries slowly, and they can take up to 10 weeks for the initial screening review. We don't know what other factors are at play (especially with a pandemic, staff working from home, fires and power outages in CA, etc.) that could be causing delays. In past years, I believe people who got late secondaries and interviews still got in. I wouldn't drive yourself crazy worrying about not getting a secondary until 10 weeks have gone by, since that is how long they say their screening process can take.

Also, even if UCSF doesn't work out, it's not the worst thing in the world. I'd also love to go to UCSF, but the odds of acceptance are incredibly low, no matter who you are. Defining success as getting into one school is a recipe for disappointment. There are 154 MD schools and another 38 DO schools in the US...that's still a lot of chances to become a doctor and have a really great career.
I think it's more the idea that not receiving a secondary at UCSF is a potential sign that someone isn't competitive at all for the top 10/20 schools, which is saddening. I don't know how valid this notion is, but it's what I'm feeling.

I think it's more the idea that not receiving a secondary at UCSF is a potential sign that someone isn't competitive at all for the top 10/20 schools, which is saddening. I don't know how valid this notion is, but it's what I'm feeling.

Yup.

Not particularly concerned about getting into UCSF specifically but most of my school list was T30 so the possibility of not even getting a secondary from UCSF makes me wonder if I messed up this cycle by overrating myself as an applicant. Most likely pre-med neuroticism but the wait is maddening.

Anyone whose primary was transmitted on 7/10 still waiting for a secondary?

My primary was transmitted on 7/10, and I'm still waiting.

As a point of reference... I'm non-trad, IS, LM 79, and have strong ties to the school (including letters from multiple UCSF professors there). I've received secondaries from UCLA, UC Irvine, and UC Davis (as well as a lot of other places that aren't doing us the huge favor of screening before sending secondaries).

I don't think there's any reason to panic yet – they've only had people's primaries for just over a month, and they do very thorough screenings.

*edit: added details

Did you see the demographics from last year? This school is a complete wild card. I don't think anyone should expect anything as PDs rank this institution as numero uno and the adcoms here can do whatever they so choose.
What about the demographics?

I submitted 7/27. Got other UCs all within a couple hours...should I be worried?

Last edited:
I submitted 7/27. Got UCLA, UCI, UCSD, UCD all within a couple hours...should I be worried?

You're less than a month out and have already received secondaries from three schools with relatively intensive holistic screens! I don't think you should be worried at all lol

I submitted 7/27. Got UCLA, UCI, UCSD, UCD all within a couple hours...should I be worried?
I wouldn't be worried about it! I've gotten secondaries from UCSD and UCSF, but not UCLA. The holistic screens at each UC school seem to vary pretty widely depending on which reader is assigned to your app. None of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes, but if your app passed the other schools, that's a good indicator it will for UCSF too!

For what it's worth, I was verified the first week of June and also do not have a secondary, but already got an interview invite to a T15 school. That's just to say that just because UCSF hasn't sent you a secondary yet doesn't mean you're not competitive!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got my secondary (IS)! Like many users I was also verified first week of June and transmitted 7/10... they really are taking their time.

3 for 3 on UCSF secondaries and application cycles!!!! Maybe they'll interview me this time. :rolleyes:
Transmitted 6/10.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone who submitted secondary have some issues regarding word count? I am 100% certain my word count for the second prompt was 348 (350 is the limit) but when I transferred over, it says I have 0 word count remaining. I attempted to copy and paste 3 times but still said 0 word count remaining so I went ahead and submit. However, there was a -1 next to the word count box after I submitted! Will that look bad on my essay? I know I can't do anything anymore but I am so anxious about that -1. Will adcoms assume I went over the limit?

Secondary received! Verified 7/20

Edit: OOS

Last edited:
Did anyone who submitted secondary have some issues regarding word count? I am 100% certain my word count for the second prompt was 348 (350 is the limit) but when I transferred over, it says I have 0 word count remaining. I attempted to copy and paste 3 times but still said 0 word count remaining so I went ahead and submit. However, there was a -1 next to the word count box after I submitted! Will that look bad on my essay? I know I can't do anything anymore but I am so anxious about that -1. Will adcoms assume I went over the limit?

Yep I did! There is definitely something wrong with their word counter.

If I graduate in December of 2020 do I still need to respond to the "if you graduated in 2020 or earlier" prompt? The question is phrased in the past tense but I haven't graduated yet obviously so I am not sure if I need to answer it...

A while ago an incoming UCSF student posted on twitter that the school reported half the usual amount of ORMs in UCSF's incoming class (from 40% to 20% I think). Is anyone else worried about that?

• Wow
518/3.88 ORM OOS secondary received last night... not sure how they are doing this screen.

Finally got my secondary today at 7pm EST (in my spam folder no less)! Verified 6/16 and transmitted 7/10. Re-applicant. 518/3.7 ORM. Check your spam religiously fam!

Secondary received around 7pm today as well! Verified 5/29 transmitted 7/10. OOS applicant. 516/3.6. I was starting to move on, so I'm super excited.

Just got that young secondary... hopefully that is a good sign that my app doesn't have a glaring red flag in it.
(transmitted 7/10, 522/3.72)

OOS, verified 6/19, WARS 89, finally got a secondary! Was definitely doubting that it would show up at all.

IS, still haven't received a secondary. UCSF is my dream school, do you guys think I should email admissions and ask about my secondary?