2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS, still haven't received a secondary. UCSF is my dream school, do you guys think I should email admissions and ask about my secondary?
No. They say pretty explicitly that it can take up to 10 weeks from when they’ve received your app to get one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For Program selection in the secondary, if I select MD/PRIME will I be considered for both? Just PRIME? Or PRIME first and if that is a no then MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. IS, verified 7/24, ORM, LM 80+

I would’ve been mucho sad if I didn’t get this secondary.

Do you guys think we necessarily need to write anything for the "expand upon your activities" section?

JUST GOT THE SECONDARY!!! Dream school. Was starting to get worried
524/3.85/OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received (IS)!! Verified first week of July and transmitted 7/10

Reactions: 1 user
Regardless of the program you pick, you will be considered for the MD program first. You have to be accepted into the regular MD program before they consider your application for the special program you apply for.

In other words, you can be an accepted MD student, an accepted MD-special program student, but you can't be JUST a special program student. You need to have been accepted MD first. Special program interviews happen much later in the cycle, therefore.

Reactions: 1 users
No secondary for me yet (3.89/521, OOS/ORM). Verified 5/29 and transmitted 7/10.

I have strong ties to the Bay Area but they wouldn't know that based on my primary... assuming I was screened out if they truly went in date order.

No secondary for me yet (3.89/521, OOS/ORM). Verified 5/29 and transmitted 7/10.

I have strong ties to the Bay Area but they wouldn't know that based on my primary... assuming I was screened out if they truly went in date order.
I doubt you were screened out. Why would they?

Secondary received 8/20 IS; ORM; 3.8/508
Verified on 7/22

Regardless of the program you pick, you will be considered for the MD program first. You have to be accepted into the regular MD program before they consider your application for the special program you apply for.

In other words, you can be an accepted MD student, an accepted MD-special program student, but you can't be JUST a special program student. You need to have been accepted MD first. Special program interviews happen much later in the cycle, therefore.
I'm 100% sure this isn't true unless they've changed the rules this year. I know someone who got into one of the special programs and did not get into the general MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone apply MSTP and still waiting on a secondary?

Would anybody be kind enough to post the SVJ PRIME supplemental questions? Thank you!

This is a reach school for me so would it be worth adding them right now? Do they do holistic review before sending secondary? Im IS

This is a reach school for me so would it be worth adding them right now? Do they do holistic review before sending secondary? Im IS

They do holistic screening before they send out secondaries so you can add them now and not worry about immediately submitting the secondary.

Finally got my MSTP secondary, transmitted 7/27

Hello friends! Super quick question! Does UCSF send a “secondary app complete” email or is that the same thing as the “secondary app submitted” email? :)

verif 7/22, LM 78.3. OOS ORM, nothing :/

Hi all, First time applicant here. Just added UCSF (I know RIP. I'm in for a long ass wait). AMCAS wasnt verified until August 13th.

Does anyone know if you dont get a secondary, will you get an actual R or is it a silent R until end of cycle?

Hi all, First time applicant here. Just added UCSF (I know RIP. I'm in for a long ass wait). AMCAS wasnt verified until August 13th.

Does anyone know if you dont get a secondary, will you get an actual R or is it a silent R until end of cycle?

Apparently they send pre and post-secondary R’s around the time they send II’s!!

Reactions: 4 users
Are they receptive to updates? I need to clarify a typo in my hours on amcas

I'm 100% sure this isn't true unless they've changed the rules this year. I know someone who got into one of the special programs and did not get into the general MD program.

I guess you very well could be right. I'm just an MS1 here and a regular MD candidate, but this was my understanding from speaking with members in my class and those above me. My advice to anyone who reads conflicting reports is just to reach out to admissions. Our staff who handle admissions were some of the nicest I had the pleasure of interacting with when I was applying.

For the MSTP question "Please list publications, honors and presentations resulting from your research experiences. (250 words)" Does honors = awards?

Secondary received tonight. OOS, 514/3.7cGPA, nontrad (military)

Edit: Complete 7/14

For the MSTP question "Please list publications, honors and presentations resulting from your research experiences. (250 words)" Does honors = awards?

I took "honors" to mean awards, grants received, etc.

I guess you very well could be right. I'm just an MS1 here and a regular MD candidate, but this was my understanding from speaking with members in my class and those above me. My advice to anyone who reads conflicting reports is just to reach out to admissions. Our staff who handle admissions were some of the nicest I had the pleasure of interacting with when I was applying.

It probably varies from special program to special program, but definitely for SJV-PRIME, the decisions are separate. For example, see this post and the following two.

How long is UCSF sending secondaries for?
Last cycle, I remember someone receiving a secondary in October and they had been verified fairly early (June/July). I wouldn't lose hope till it's actually over aka December 1st, the secondary deadline.

In last year's SDN thread, I believe it was the first week of September.

This year's MSAR advisor report also lists September 1st as when UCSF starts sending interview invites this year.
Oh boy I’m getting nervous haha

Just received a secondary! Literally hours after I had fully resigned myself to a pre-secondary R haha..

Obligatory: transmitted 7/10, LM 73, OOS

Reactions: 4 users
anyone know how many people get secondaries? im pretty sure its like 70-80%