2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
finallyyy got the secondary ~1hr ago as well!! verified & submitted 07/10, OOS, 524, 3.81
to anyone still waiting, stay positive :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally 7/10 submission pile saw the day light!

• Hmm
Secondary received OOS - really surprised, I had figured I got a pre-secondary R!

Verified 8/15. IS 3.94/3.88 c/sGPA, 516 MCAT. EC boxes checked, including service. Am I just being impatient or people certified that late already received secondaries? Thanks.

I believe people have gotten accepted after getting secondaries in October. UCSF's holistic screen takes a while (3-10 weeks after verification, according to their website) so I'd just hang in there for now

I believe people have gotten accepted after getting secondaries in October. UCSF's holistic screen takes a while (3-10 weeks after verification, according to their website) so I'd just hang in there for now
Yeah, she's a-comin. Cool, would be a dream to have the option of staying in the bay area. Crazy we only have 2 med schools and while Stanford is Stanford, anyone familiar with the bay area will tell you that, culturally, aside from Palo Alto itself, the peninsula/south bay is just generic suburbia for rich people, largely in hampster-wheel tech jobs. SF/Oakland/Berkeley is the real thing, all easily accessible from Parnassus.

Verified 8/15. IS 3.94/3.88 c/sGPA, 516 MCAT. EC boxes checked, including service. Am I just being impatient or people certified that late already received secondaries? Thanks.
8/1, no red flags or missing components on my app, still waiting

a post a while back reported that out of the 7000ish primaries they receive they send 2500ish secondaries

I believe it's 5000 secondaries for 7500 primaries. I attended a webinar and that's what Admissions said

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
did they maybe touch on the screening method?
I don't exactly remember but they said that the screening process is much more rigorous for the secondaries to interview stage, where they go from 5000 secondaries to 500 interview invites

I don't exactly remember but they said that the screening process is much more rigorous for the secondaries to interview stage, where they go from 5000 secondaries to 500 interview invites

And they're screening with a blinded MCAT right?

Has anyone without an MCAT received a secondary? I am IS, ORM, verified 7/14 and high stats.

Has anyone without an MCAT received a secondary? I am IS, ORM, verified 7/14 and high stats.

Yeah I’m IS, ORM, verified 7/11, got a secondary 8/12 without an MCAT! On their website it says they are sending secondaries and II to those without MCAT as well!

Has anyone tried calling the office to check if they were sent a secondary

I've def heard about 2500 secondaries sent but I could see them sending more secondaries out this year for buffering. I'm not sure how helpful it is for them to do up to 5000 given they probably will stay within 500-600 II sent out

I've def heard about 2500 secondaries sent but I could see them sending more secondaries out this year for buffering. I'm not sure how helpful it is for them to do up to 5000 given they probably will stay within 500-600 II sent out

Their presentation had a slide that said 7500 primaries -> 5000 secondaries -> 500 interviews -> 275 acceptances

Reactions: 3 users
I also attended a webinar for UCSF admissions a few months ago and can confirm they said they give around 5000 secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the difference between the JMP (MD/MS) program and the MD-MPH program? Both have you spending a bit of time at UC Berkeley with their school of public health.

What is the difference between the JMP (MD/MS) program and the MD-MPH program? Both have you spending a bit of time at UC Berkeley with their school of public health.

JMP students spend the first 2.5 years at Berkeley for the preclinical curriculum and get a master's in Health and Medical Sciences (rather than an MPH, but it's still very public health oriented). The cohort is pretty small (I believe 16 people?). I went to Cal for undergrad and had the fortune to interact with interact with a few JMP students, and they were all very passionate about the program and seemed to be very close with their cohort. For the MD/MPH, I believe UCSF students take a year between M3 and M4 to get their MPH at Berkeley.

Any MSTP'ers still waiting on a secondary? Verified 7/20 - already heard back from other schools for interviews but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on secondary from UCSF

Secondary just received! OOS, Verified 7/10, Transmitted 7/16 (didn't add this school until 7/16)

Stats in sig

SF/Oakland/Berkeley is the real thing, all easily accessible from Parnassus.

Do you mean Downtown SF? Anyone familiar with the Bay Area will also tell you that Parnassus is accessible to SF because it's in SF :D.

Sorry if this has been asked but does UCSF accept update letters?

Being in SF is not synonymous with SF, in the sense people mean it, being accessible. Ask anyone who attended SF State or lived in Park Merced, Excelsior, or outer Avenues.

Then you mean downtown SF. You can ask me, I lived there for years, and in Haight Ashbury not too far from Parnassus. I've only passed the UCSF campus a few times, but although it is close to the residential inner Sunset, it is also very close to Golden Gate Park, Haight-Ashbury, and Castro, all considered very SF and very desirable areas. Only tourists think of the Financial District and North Beach areas near the piers as "SF."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary, is writing about a light-hearted hobby looked down upon? Would it be better to write about something more serious/pertinent to medicine?

For the secondary, is writing about a light-hearted hobby looked down upon? Would it be better to write about something more serious/pertinent to medicine?

I wrote about my stand-up comedy (listed as “hobby” on my primary app) for the first question. Granted, it ties in to my immigrant background, trilingualism, and motivations to enter medicine — so not necessarily “light-hearted” — but I don’t think it necessarily has to be about something directly related to medicine

I wrote about hitchhiking as a hobby, I wouldn't overthink it as you never know what will resonate with someone.

• Inappropriate
Just got a secondary. OOS. LM 78.3. AMCAS verified 7/22.

can anyone confirm that UCSF has started sending out IIs? because I saw someone report on the II tracker

can anyone confirm that UCSF has started sending out IIs? because I saw someone report on the II tracker

No they have not. Their admissions office said they will begin soon.
They also told me that they don't have a limit to the number of secondaries they send out, but in the past they send out around 2/3, so I guess the 5000 number is right. I have no idea why they take so long to review the apps if they only screen out 1/3, hopefully this pre-screen makes their II faster.

No they have not. Their admissions office said they will begin soon.
They also told me that they don't have a limit to the number of secondaries they send out, but in the past they send out around 2/3, so I guess the 5000 number is right. I have no idea why they take so long to review the apps if they only screen out 1/3, hopefully this pre-screen makes their II faster.

Thats honestly fascinating because it seems like every Google result from every past cycle has always cited 2500. I wonder where that came from if admissions has always sent secondaries to 2/3 of applicants

have prime people gotten secondaries? i submitted 8/5 and have not heard from them

None of the numbers matter till we get our II

Reactions: 4 users