2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got offered a full tuition scholarship!!! :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 23 users
Are their clinical rotations p/f?

Reactions: 1 user
Are their clinical rotations p/f?
Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail with no set ratios. So if everyone performs at Honors, everyone receives Honors. I believe I saw this on MSAR, but it was recently mentioned by both M1's and M3's in the recent Why WashU's, so it's seemingly accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So. I am ridiculously happy. Got a half tuition merit scholarship!! Going to WashU has been my goal since I interviewed here. However, I also got a full tuition scholarship from another awesome school (a "peer institution" to WashU) that is my second (just barely, it was almost a tie) favorite. With financial aid factored in, I am now stuck. Now I'm not sure what I want. Finances are an important factor for me, but idk if it's more important than the reasons I loved WashU and wanted to go there for these past several months. Anyone else in a similar situation or just have some thoughts/advice to offer?

Reactions: 2 users
So. I am ridiculously happy. Got a half tuition merit scholarship!! Going to WashU has been my goal since I interviewed here. However, I also got a full tuition scholarship from another awesome school (a "peer institution" to WashU) that is my second (just barely, it was almost a tie) favorite. With financial aid factored in, I am now stuck. Now I'm not sure what I want. Finances are an important factor for me, but idk if it's more important than the reasons I loved WashU and wanted to go there for these past several months. Anyone else in a similar situation or just have some thoughts/advice to offer?
Might be useful to post in school x vs y z forum, people can probably help you a bit more with this. Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
You can try posting in the Help Me Decide SDN thread!

• Love
There's no WashU Wednesday this upcoming week, right? Do we take this as a sign that a lot of decisions might come out this week?

Have you heard back from WashU regarding need-based aid too? It's not uncommon for them to give a less-than-full tuition merit scholarship and make the rest up in need-based aid. Since merit and need-based aid are decided by separate committees, it's entirely possible for you to get aid up to the cost of attendance. Then you have to factor in how cheap St. Louis is compared to virtually every city of comparable or larger size (it's much cheaper).

• Love
Have you heard back from WashU regarding need-based aid too? It's not uncommon for them to give a less-than-full tuition merit scholarship and make the rest up in need-based aid. Since merit and need-based aid are decided by separate committees, it's entirely possible for you to get aid up to the cost of attendance. Then you have to factor in how cheap St. Louis is compared to virtually every city of comparable or larger size (it's much cheaper).
That's a good point. I haven't heard back about need-based aid or even really completed all the steps for it, but as I understood from their website, need-based aid is 50:50 scholarship to loan. Wouldn't that mean that even if my need included the rest of my tuition, I'd essentially have 75% covered by scholarships? It would be wonderful if they do the entire other half of tuition in need-based, but I'm not sure it works like that...idk. We'll have to wait and see :) Thanks for your suggestion though! You have a good point about St. Louis being amazingly affordable compared to the location of a majority of the other T10s.

Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail with no set ratios. So if everyone performs at Honors, everyone receives Honors. I believe I saw this on MSAR, but it was recently mentioned by both M1's and M3's in the recent Why WashU's, so it's seemingly accurate.
Awesome! So everything is p/f (curriculum and rotations) that would help w the anxiety of all the competition

Awesome! So everything is p/f (curriculum and rotations) that would help w the anxiety of all the competition
Ehh, I think there is a difference between H/HP/P/F and curriculums that are true P/F. Not that it’s a dealbreaker by any means, but an important distinction.

Ehh, I think there is a difference between H/HP/P/F and curriculums that are true P/F. Not that it’s a dealbreaker by any means, but an important distinction.
It relieves worry about competition that there are no ratios of H:HP: P:F. But I do agree that you should not be trying to take it easy on clinical rotations, especially now that Step 1 is P/F and we're not really sure what will be weighed more heavily in residency evaluation of applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point. I haven't heard back about need-based aid or even really completed all the steps for it, but as I understood from their website, need-based aid is 50:50 scholarship to loan. Wouldn't that mean that even if my need included the rest of my tuition, I'd essentially have 75% covered by scholarships? It would be wonderful if they do the entire other half of tuition in need-based, but I'm not sure it works like that...idk. We'll have to wait and see :) Thanks for your suggestion though! You have a good point about St. Louis being amazingly affordable compared to the location of a majority of the other T10s.
That's essentially true, but Wash U also limits how much you have to take in loans each year. For last year's class, the limit was ~$33,000. So, theoretically, if your expected contribution was low enough, you could get the rest of the COA covered by scholarships alone. Even more likely to have the rest of tuition covered (i.e. COA minus living expenses).

That's essentially true, but Wash U also limits how much you have to take in loans each year. For last year's class, the limit was ~$33,000. So, theoretically, if your expected contribution was low enough, you could get the rest of the COA covered by scholarships alone. Even more likely to have the rest of tuition covered (i.e. COA minus living expenses).
I think when they talked about the cap it was a bit misleading. The cap only applies if you have need in excess of $66k per year based on their criteria/determination. Otherwise you won't hit the cap. However, you still might need to take out loans in excess of $33k per year depending on how much your/parental contribution actually is.

I think when they talked about the cap it was a bit misleading. The cap only applies if you have need in excess of $66k per year based on their criteria/determination. Otherwise you won't hit the cap. However, you still might need to take out loans in excess of $33k per year depending on how much your/parental contribution actually is.
For sure. That's why I added the caveat that it would only be if you're expected contribution was low enough. Idk how likely any of this is, however, and it definitely is different from person to person.

If I interviewed late November but haven’t heard back yet, are my chances of acceptance lower?

If I interviewed late November but haven’t heard back yet, are my chances of acceptance lower?
I don't think so because as of now, the majority of recently reported As seem to be from the months of October and November. Although their timeline doesn't seem to be linear so I can't say for sure.

Did anyone use the document upload on the app portal?

What would you put there? I havent used it and am trying to see what I can do to improve my chances
I used it to upload my thank you's to my interviewers (along with direct emails), as well as for an Update/Letter of Interest after my interview.

I used it to upload my thank you's to my interviewers (along with direct emails), as well as for an Update/Letter of Interest after my interview.

You think it’s still worth uploading a letter of interest?

You think it’s still worth uploading a letter of interest?
Honestly, I have no idea. I sent one shortly after my interview. I've heard that WashU likes demonstrated interest. If you have a significant update to send, I don't think it could hurt!

Do people upload their thank you letters to the portal and email their interviewers? I emailed thank yous to each of my interviewers and the admissions email the day after but not sure if I should also upload to the portal?

Do people upload their thank you letters to the portal and email their interviewers? I emailed thank yous to each of my interviewers and the admissions email the day after but not sure if I should also upload to the portal?
I'm sure you're fine. I'm neurotic as hell and it was probably overkill.

Did any international students receive the "Financial Requirements for non-US Citizens" email and it shows "the University will require that you provide a total cost of education of $.00."? Pretty sure this is a typo as I have not been notified of any scholarship of financial aid awards, but just wondering.

pre-II R

edit: I like how they wished me luck in my pursuit of medicine instead of plugging some BS masters program like some schools do. very classy

• Care
pre-II R

edit: I like how they wished me luck in my pursuit of medicine instead of plugging some BS masters program like some schools do. very classy
Sorry :( if you dont mind can you share your complete date .

I know there seems to be no logic in the way people get reviewed and given decisions but this waiting is really killing me and idk what to think

• Care
Pre-II R, hurts cuz they're my undergrad

• Care
Pre-II R. I am not even mad. This was probably the nicest pre-II R I have read.

• Care
Did any international students receive the "Financial Requirements for non-US Citizens" email and it shows "the University will require that you provide a total cost of education of $.00."? Pretty sure this is a typo as I have not been notified of any scholarship of financial aid awards, but just wondering.
I got one as their "welcome to financial aid" email

Just got a missed call from St. Louis, dialed back, yes it was WASHU.....but the lady said she had no idea why I got a call. Please Lord just kill me now.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 15 users
Just got a missed call from St. Louis, dialed back, yes it was WASHU.....but the lady said she had no idea why I got a call. Please Lord just kill me now.
oh lord that is evil

the 2021 cycle continues to troll

Reactions: 3 users
Got an R last night at 9 pm, and woke up to another R. Someone really wanted to get the message across that I wasn't going to this school

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users