2020-2021 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now in consideration for phone interview. Anyone have experience with this? Soft R or standard procedure before an R? Done with my experience review

not an R at all. That’s what you get before you potentially get a phone interview, which is before the real interview. Some of us are stuck at this stage, though

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at the interview day schedule rn and have a question. Do we just check in as soon as it opens and then wait until the day starts for real? I'm a little confused as to what to expect – being put into a waiting room? Turning audio/video off in the main room? Making small talk with the other people who are there? LOL

Reactions: 2 users
Looking at the interview day schedule rn and have a question. Do we just check in as soon as it opens and then wait until the day starts for real? I'm a little confused as to what to expect – being put into a waiting room? Turning audio/video off in the main room? Making small talk with the other people who are there? LOL

You'll be checked in, and then (at least for my interview day, and depending on how many people are in line to check in before you) you can either hang out in the waiting room and talk to other students, or mute yourself and take a break. I did the latter, as did most of my interview cohort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok the universe must have heard me manifesting (or cursing) yesterday. Entered experiences review this morning, complete 9/14!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an email from the school today saying that my app has moved into the experiences review step. Does it mean they start reviewing my activities? i'm slightly confused cause I have never received this kind of email from any other schools before.

I just got an email from the school today saying that my app has moved into the experiences review step. Does it mean they start reviewing my activities? i'm slightly confused cause I have never received this kind of email from any other schools before.

Read the thread friend :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
How long after the phone interview did ppl get IIs?

How long after the phone interview did ppl get IIs?
For some it’s been a week or two. I’ve been waiting since September 2nd :( I was waitlisted last year so thought I had a good chance. Obviously not giving up hope yet though! The cycle is long!

Reactions: 5 users
Its been 2 weeks since my phone interview and people that had interviews on my day have already had a II. Is this a silent rejection or have people got a II a week or two after other people that interviewed on the same day as them already got interview?

Its been 2 weeks since my phone interview and people that had interviews on my day have already had a II. Is this a silent rejection or have people got a II a week or two after other people that interviewed on the same day as them already got interview?
It is not a silent R. They don’t review everyone in order and there’s so much time left for IIs

It is not a silent R. They don’t review everyone in order and there’s so much time left for IIs

Thanks for your response, I was just wondering how do you know that they don't view phone interview applicants in order?

Thanks for your response, I was just wondering how do you know that they don't view phone interview applicants in order?
I had my phone interview mid September and just heard back for a virtual interview last week. Some people completed their phone interview more than a month after me and got an II before me. Nothing is an R until it is an R

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had a phone interview recently? Would love some advice. My phone interview is Friday. Thank you!

Virtual II this morning! Phone interview complete on 10/21. OOS.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Do you have any suggestions/tips for the phone interview? Thanks.
Have you done the VITA, yet? I think it was like a phone VITA. I hadn't done the VITA before I did the phone interview, but found that when preparing for the VITA it would have helped for the phone interview.

Savvypremed has a list of 50 questions under their article about the WMed phone interview, and I have found that to be helpful!

Congrats! Do you have any suggestions/tips for the phone interview? Thanks.

There's really no prepping for it, unfortunately. Just answer their questions honestly and as a reflection of yourself!

Have you done the VITA, yet? I think it was like a phone VITA. I hadn't done the VITA before I did the phone interview, but found that when preparing for the VITA it would have helped for the phone interview.

Savvypremed has a list of 50 questions under their article about the WMed phone interview, and I have found that to be helpful!
There's really no prepping for it, unfortunately. Just answer their questions honestly and as a reflection of yourself!

Thank you so much for the advice! Would you say the interview is more focused on situational and personal attribute questions than medical school journey questions (e.g., why medicine?).

Thank you so much for the advice! Would you say the interview is more focused on situational and personal attribute questions than medical school journey questions (e.g., why medicine?).

Not the original responder, but situational and personal, absolutely! They have VITA for the why medicine stuff.

Just had my phone interview. Anyone else think it was awkward??

• Haha
Just had my phone interview. Anyone else think it was awkward??
Pretty sure I bombed it haha. Not sure if it was because of the questions or just being uncomfortable with not looking at someone while answering.

Pretty sure I bombed it haha. Not sure if it was because of the questions or just being uncomfortable with not looking at someone while answering.

I felt this way, and ended up with an A! It's undeniably awkward, but if you came across as a normal, ethical person, you should be okay.

I've been under consideration for a phone interview since 10/6. Is this a soft R? Did anyone else wait this long?

I've been under consideration for a phone interview since 10/6. Is this a soft R? Did anyone else wait this long?
Unfortunately in the same boat. From previous posts in the thread it doesn't look the best, but the phone interview does span the entire interview season so don't give up hope till you get the R!

• Care
To those of who you who did get phone interviews, what was the time from experience review being completed to getting a phone interview invite?

If experience review was completed in 10/22 and no response, is that considered a soft R? Or any August peeps received longer waiting periods?

If experience review was completed in 10/22 and no response, is that considered a soft R? Or any August peeps received longer waiting periods?
I am not sure if this is helpful, but I was complete 8/31. Experience review started 10/14 and it was complete 10/24. I received a telephone interview invite on 10/28. Phone interview is in 30 mintues :nailbiting:

For anyone who needs to hear this, Wmed doesn’t do soft R’s. Been following application threads for Wmed since 2017-2018 season and I don’t recall anyone ever getting a soft R. Until they say otherwise you’re still in the race.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
i think i just bombed that phone interview :( very strange questions

• Care
Can any current students speak to WMed's level of merit aid? I heard (through rumors) that they are pretty generous with aid, but I haven't heard any current students confirm this.

Whew, I just got the email that I've moved from Experiences Review to being considered for a phone interview!

+1, Experiences review started 11/3 and completed today 11/9!

Experiences review completed mid-oct and nothing since. Anyone in the same boat? I'd like to hear an R or tele ii lol.
I was complete 8/31. Experience review started 10/14 and review was complete 10/28. Telephone interview offered 10/28. Under consideration for a virtual interview today. It took a long time for me to hear anything, so don't give up!

• Care
Mine was 10/9, and I thought it went well, so this waiting has been a big oof
It sucks. I was waitlisted last year. I did phone interview in December and got the live II in I think 2 weeks. I ended up interviewing on their last day in March. I was so excited to get a phone II so early and now I’m just sad and stressed.

• Care
I just got the considering experiences step email today. Does everyone get this? Or do they give any Rs before they get this email?

I just got the considering experiences step email today. Does everyone get this? Or do they give any Rs before they get this email?

According to their website, only “select applicants” move on to the experiences review. I assume that with each checkpoint, we are at risk for the R. Making it to the next stage is one step closer!

II ten minutes ago phone interview complete 9/22

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II just now, phone interview 09/02. It's been so long that I pretty much thought it was a silent R...so y'all who got phone interviews early on but haven't heard anything yet, there's definitely still hope!

• Love
II just now, phone interview 09/02. It's been so long that I pretty much thought it was a silent R...so y'all who got phone interviews early on but haven't heard anything yet, there's definitely still hope!
I’m also a 9/2 phone interview. Glad to see we’re still in the mix!

II in the morning today. Phone interview 9/16, really happy to be given the opportunity to II as it is my first choice.
OOS, LM 72

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
When doing the assessment, I went to hit next at the same time the 30 seconds ran out and it skipped a question. Do you think missing one question will be a big issue?