2021-2022 Thomas Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 OOS received last friday

Members don't see this ad.

Describe how the pandemic has affected your educational, work, or research plans? What has your own experience informed you about the challenges of providing equitable and inclusive care to future patients? (2500 Characters)
So does education include cancelation of volunteer activities, shadowing and MCAT or do they not want to know about that just your schooling at the university?

For the second question, does anyone think it is okay to use part of it to discuss my connection to the City of Philadelphia? I moved to Philly over 4 years ago and would choose a school in Philly over anywhere else. Is it appropriate to discuss that this is where I want to stay for my long term plans?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Describe how the pandemic has affected your educational, work, or research plans? What has your own experience informed you about the challenges of providing equitable and inclusive care to future patients? (2500 Characters)
So does education include cancelation of volunteer activities, shadowing and MCAT or do they not want to know about that just your schooling at the university?
Prefacing this with I’m not an expert but…

The question asks about work and research plans, so it would include all activities reasonably related to your work and/or your application. Every applicant in the past 1.5 years has had delays with the MCAT, so I mean go ahead and add it but if you got a good score and have an MCAT on file - I’m not sure how much value that adds to your application. Of course, if you have interesting circumstances you could absolutely include!
For the second question, does anyone think it is okay to use part of it to discuss my connection to the City of Philadelphia? I moved to Philly over 4 years ago and would choose a school in Philly over anywhere else. Is it appropriate to discuss that this is where I want to stay for my long term plans?
I would say reasonable, as it’s an open question. I would be specific however about why Jefferson, as there are so many Philadelphia schools. You don’t want to look like you have a blanket essay for every Philadelphia school.

I keep being anxious that II are going out and I didn't get one yet. Then I remember that I submitted my secondary yesterday evening.... and it's not July 4th yet lol so the cycle just begun.

Reactions: 1 users
damn thats crazy, congrats... still waiting on LORs lol this cycle moves quickly
Yeah I took a few days to do my secondary because I have so many of them to do and it seems like I missed the first II wave

For all those wondering about the SAT/ACT scores and LOR requirements - I received an interview and left the SAT/ACT fields blank, also did not have a physics LOR

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I seriously busted my butt for the last few years to make up for my sins in undergrad, and it feels good that it's starting to pay off
Congrats!! when you received the II, how much time do you have to prepare for it? like do you have to do the interview in a week after receiving the II?

OOS, LM ~65 but 4.0 post bac, good ECs, and ties to school
Thats awesome. Fellow post-bacc reinventor here, hoping to get a little love with no ties.

For those who got II's, are y'all applying ED or regular? I just got marked complete when one of my last LOR's trickled in (still waiting on one but apparently SKMC don't care), and wanted to know if they're reviewing regular apps or juts doing ED.

How much weight do you think they place on secondary responses? I just realized I submitted with a typo and now its all I can think about :(

How much weight do you think they place on secondary responses? I just realized I submitted with a typo and now its all I can think about :(
If they don't give an interview because of a typo, I think that would be crazy.

They're probably reading through apps too quickly to notice, unless its something super egregious

Reactions: 2 users
Applied regular! Happy to provide any similarly non-identifying details if it helps.

The earliest dates seem to be in late September.
Congrats! Now I get to stare at my email for the next week lol

Up there lol, but I doubt they're reviewing only by stats or by submission time judging by what others with IIs have posted. Guessing I just landed towards the front of the review pile for some reason!
Congrats, kill that interview!!!

I know that Q1 (the COVID question) does not explicitly ask how the pandemic affected your personal life, but do you think it would be acceptable if I discussed how it affected me personally after I talked about how it affected my education? I was planning to tie my discussion of the health equity problem after talking about my personal experience.

I know that Q1 (the COVID question) does not explicitly ask how the pandemic affected your personal life, but do you think it would be acceptable if I discussed how it affected me personally after I talked about how it affected my education? I was planning to tie my discussion of the health equity problem after talking about my personal experience.
I think that’s a logical tie in and it seems Jefferson is pretty open-minded considering Q2 is just an anything else essay. They’re not using narrow-ended questions like some other schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my 2º! OOS. I emailed SKMC a while back about the LOR and they stated that while they highly recommend sending BPCM letters, the most important quality a LOR writer can have is KNOWING YOU! They're flexible!

For the "If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it. (4000 characters)" would having ties to the city of philly be a good thing to add? I had to leave because of covid :(

Can confirm they've starting sending out IIs, OOS II received.
congrats!!!! can I ask if you filled out the optional question? haha. I'm just trying to determine if it's necessary.

I did! I doubt it's necessary if you don't have anything else you feel like adding, though.
Do you think they’re inviting for interview based on secondary submission date?? Or you had stellar stats!

I am prewriting this school right now and was wondering if anyone can tell me: is the 2500 characters with spaces or without spaces?

For the COVID questions, I feel like nothing from my "own experience" taught me about challenges of providing inclusive and equitable care.
I was very fortunate and I was able to stay home and study for the MCAT throughout much of the pandemic.

I know that COVID exposed health disparities in an extreme way and I can definitely speak about this, but it's not from my own experience - it's from following the course of the pandemic and seeing the way certain populations were hit hardest, etc.

Should I talk about this or is it too generic? I'm not sure how to incorporate my own pandemic experience with inequities in healthcare.
I feel the same way, what direction did you end up taking? one of my family members was hospitalized but I'm not sure if that is a challenge caused by inequitable care and otherwise I was lucky to be healthy and home throughout the pandemic so I'm lost on what to write for the second question

Anyone else have their application “under review” in the portal?

I feel the same way, what direction did you end up taking? one of my family members was hospitalized but I'm not sure if that is a challenge caused by inequitable care and otherwise I was lucky to be healthy and home throughout the pandemic so I'm lost on what to write for the second question
I did talk somewhat generically about the way certain communities were hit hardest by COVID-19 in the beginning of my response.

I then was able to tie it into my own experiences, such as witnessing the devastation of the virus on the homeless population in the city where I work for AmeriCorps.

You might have to get creative, but I would try your best to tie it into personal experiences. Even acknowledging how lucky you were to be able to stay home and healthy relative to the devastation that you saw on the news or within your community could be impactful.

For those who already got IIs, which is so crazy to me, how long after under review did you get one? I submitted last night, but am already under review which freaks me out. Has anyone gotten an R yet?