2021-2022 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably a silly question, but does anyone know if there any sort of dress code for the Why WashU/meet the students/other info sessions outside of interview day or the recorded video interview?
Recorded interview: Dress as if it’s a normal in-person / live interview. I (female) wore a blazer with a solid shirt.

Meet the students is casual. Why WashU probably doesn’t matter but I wore a nice business casual shirt.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone who interviewed clarify what is and is not optional? I know Meet the students/Why WashU are but what about the Finance + Admissions leadership sessions and campus tour?

Could someone who interviewed clarify what is and is not optional? I know Meet the students/Why WashU are but what about the Finance + Admissions leadership sessions and campus tour?
You should go to everything on the day of the interview. I do not exactly remember if anything is optional exactly, but there aren't a ton of kids in the session usually and its good to show interest. You have the tour with like 4 other kids and the leadership session was with like 10 other peeps.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else receive an email from an admissions ambassador before their interview?

Does anyone know if it’s encouraged to go to multiple information sessions? It seems like each Wash U Wednesday covers something different.

Does anyone know if it’s encouraged to go to multiple information sessions? It seems like each Wash U Wednesday covers something different.
If you mean the Why WashU, yes, every session covers something different..

I even went to two different tours, because there are different students and different perspectives on the school which I found very helpful

Anyone heard anything in the II department? Radio silence for me…
Same here for this school. Looking at last year's thread, there was one reported II wave in December, and then 3 in January. Holding onto hope!

Anyone heard anything in the II department? Radio silence for me…
Should still be more II's to come. They seem to only schedule out a couple weeks in advance, and when I interviewed earlier this week I was told their interview season was only about halfway though.

Reactions: 4 users
So is the general consensus that most As will be released in March? I interviewed on Nov. 9 and am anxiously waiting as this is my only II, but March feels so far away lol. Also am I correct in my understanding that they call for acceptances? My cell phone usually gets riddled with spam calls so I ignore most calls if I don't recognize the caller ID, so is there a specific number I should look out for?

So is the general consensus that most As will be released in March? I interviewed on Nov. 9 and am anxiously waiting as this is my only II, but March feels so far away lol. Also am I correct in my understanding that they call for acceptances? My cell phone usually gets riddled with spam calls so I ignore most calls if I don't recognize the caller ID, so is there a specific number I should look out for?
On my cell phone, it said the caller ID is "Barnes Jewish."

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. It seems a few people have received the call according to their initial November 12th date, but not as many as I would expect if they truly were releasing their first round of As on that day. I'm trying to figure this out because an R or A will determine whether or not I have to postpone graduation to take calc in the winter. Any insight would be great!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted just now! Call was from my interviewer so no caller ID!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a deadline for when accepted applicants need to make a decision by?

Does WashU accept post-interview thank you letters? I had my interview recently and one of my interviewers gave me their email but I don't think I wrote it down correctly, so should I contact the office for their email?

Does WashU accept post-interview thank you letters? I had my interview recently and one of my interviewers gave me their email but I don't think I wrote it down correctly, so should I contact the office for their email?
I emailed my interviewers because they gave me their email addresses, but I am sure you can send a PDF to the admissions office and they would forward it for you. :)

• Care
I emailed my interviewers because they gave me their email addresses, but I am sure you can send a PDF to the admissions office and they would forward it for you. :)
Thank you! Also, should I send a separate one for each interviewer or should I just make the one for the both of them?

Thank you! Also, should I send a separate one for each interviewer or should I just make the one for the both of them?
Of course! Personally I would send a separate one for each interviewer, that way you can address them individually! I didn't do this specifically for WashU but I did this for peer institutions and it worked just fine.

• Care
Those who have interviewed, did you get an email with the Why Wash U Wednesday zoom link? Realizing I never got any information/zoom link for the sessions

Those who have interviewed, did you get an email with the Why Wash U Wednesday zoom link? Realizing I never got any information/zoom link for the sessions
FYI you will get that every week, as they hold them every week. So don't feel pressured to go to one immediately.

FYI you will get that every week, as they hold them every week. So don't feel pressured to go to one immediately.
Ohh ok gotcha thanks! I thought we had to go to one the week of/before our interview, so that's a relief to hear

Ohh ok gotcha thanks! I thought we had to go to one the week of/before our interview, so that's a relief to hear
You can also email their admissions office to ask to be sent recordings of sessions you missed. I couldn't attend one I signed up for and they happily hooked me up with the recording.

Does anyone know how often their admissions committee meets? Once a month?
Based on last year's thread it seems they meet/release decisions every 2nd Thursday of the month. However, the most recent/only wave of A's so far was on the 1st Thursday of November.

Anybody know what the dress code is for the campus tour?

casual. I went in a hoodie and was in the middle of cooking dinner. If your feeling like it , you can wear a button up.

I just wore a button up but everyone I was with was wearing full suits. I don't think it really matters though since according to my tour guide they are not evaluating you.

Is there an accepted student Facebook? would love to get to know some of ya

are there specific dates where they give out acceptances? or is it just random whenever the committee meets and picks a few to give out?

are there specific dates where they give out acceptances? or is it just random whenever the committee meets and picks a few to give out?
Looking at last year's thread, there were a couple decisions released randomly from like December 11-13, Friday & Sunday afternoons... Might be a little different this year

A just now. My interviewer called me, said they just had got out of committee and he wanted to let me know. BEYOND excited. Interviewed 10/4

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Eeeek interviewed in early November, wondering if any nov dates will hear back today!!

Does anyone know if it is possible to have interviewed in September and not receive an A until a while after the initial novmeber 12th acceptance date? I couldn't really tell from last year's thread. Interviewed in September and wondering if not having heard anything is bad news.

It sounds like only one person reported an A yesterday even though the committee met. Does anyone know how often the committee meets? Any possibility of more A’s before the holidays or is it silence until January for now?

It sounds like only one person reported an A yesterday even though the committee met. Does anyone know how often the committee meets? Any possibility of more A’s before the holidays or is it silence until January for now?
I also received an A on Thursday afternoon! Extremely surprised and excited! I interviewed there in late September. Wishing y'all the best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
hey everyone, I interviewed early to mid-October and have yet to hear back. I have some updates I'd like to share with WashU - do you guys think I should rush to send in an update letter today or tomorrow before the holidays or save it for after the new year? not sure if anyone knows if their office has already closed for the holiday

There have been some questions regarding letters of interest, and I think the consensus is generally that the WUSM generally views letters of interest from WL applicants favorably.

Would it still be a good idea to send a post-interview letter of interest (with no updates) before we have heard back?
I tried to see if WUSM asked applicants not to send any before decisions but I could not find any, so I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could direct me to the right webpage/source.

My major concern is that I will just look desperate/impatient.
I am also wondering if sending a letter of interest would hurt my chances of getting a scholarship (although I am uncertain if I would get any at all, even if I get accepted without sending a letter of interest).

FWIW, I interviewed in November.

Last edited:
II this morning! Complete 7/23

Just got an II this morning as well! Complete 10/4 just to give some hope to those that applied later in the cycle