2021-2022 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed and was very impressed! Both of the interviews were so conversational and probably some of my easier and more productive interviews. They basically allowed me to talk about what I wanted so definitely just be prepared to talk about what you want to cover during the interviews. The standardized video interview was a bit rough to be honest — but it sounds like it’s not waited too heavily (definitely less than the actual interviews) and I know people who bombed it last year and got in, so I’m trying not to stress 🥴
I literally bombed that SIV so hard. Like I completely blanked on a question and just started rambling LMAO. Def hoping it's not heavily weighted like you say!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone comment on the turn around time for decisions after interviews?

edit: went through the thread and saw that the bulk of As come in March, please pray for my patience lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I got an II yesterday… was not expecting this one
Hi, do you mind sharing what dates were available? I'm trying to see if they are close to the end/are still sending II's lol. Congrats btw!

can anyone comment on the turn around time for decisions after interviews?

edit: went through the thread and saw that the bulk of As come in March, please pray for my patience lol
I think they do semi-rolling meaning they release results like once or twice before Feb/Match but most of As come out around Feb/March.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone who sent an update letter and got an interview, how long after your letter did you receive the invite?

This admissions newsletter email stressed me out SO MUCH like dang do NOT raise my heart rate like that... you can't just send me an email from the mdadmissions email address like this

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone have insight on what the live virtual tour is like? Do I need to have camera on/suit/etc?

Anyone have insight on what the live virtual tour is like? Do I need to have camera on/suit/etc?
Hi! Camera on is a good idea cos my session was super small so it just would have been awkward. You can dress casually though!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got notified that I was given the DSS Full Tuition scholarship!

I’m sorry to the Dean that called me, I know I sounded disinterested, but I wasn’t... I’m just massively congested and sick from covid.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

I’m sorry to the Dean that called me, I know I sounded disinterested, but I wasn’t... I’m just massively congested and sick from covid.
WHATTTT congratulations! When did you get in??

Congrats! I'm just out here trying to attend lol y'all going for free

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Whoa, congrats! You have been killing it this cycle

I was the only person in a hoodie and everyone else was wearing a suit. iirc there wasn't an option to disable camera?

Anyone know why there were so many people at that WashU Wednesday event?

I saw something like 240 people in that zoom meeting. Are we just basically interviewing for a WL at this stage?
Unsure but it wouldn’t seem too crazy because one tracker listed their post-II acceptance rate as 19%……..

Unsure but it wouldn’t seem too crazy because one tracker listed their post-II acceptance rate as 19%……..
Very true, but it's like that through the entire cycle. Most MD schools, and certainly most top schools, simply do not need to waste time and resources interviewing for a WL.

Schools like WashU and NYU just like having a lot of candidates to choose from. Other schools like Michigan and UVA do the screening on the front end and have very high post-II acceptance rates. None of these schools, however, lose track of how many seats they have and then just interview for the WL when they run out.

As I said in another post, this in contrast to DO schools, which intentionally fill their classes early with people they KNOW (or hope) they are going to lose later to MD schools. They do this to collect significant, nonrefundable deposits that are not part of the MD school revenue model but contribute significantly to DO schools. As a result, DO schools do actually start interviewing for the WL around now, but they typically make extensive use of those WLs in a way MD schools don't, because MD schools are not in the business of accepting people they expect, or even hope, to lose later in the cycle in order to generate revenue for the school.

Apples and oranges. As you said, the vast majority of everyone interviewing at WashU will not be attending, either by choice, since their yield is on the low end for a top school (being in St. Louis probably doesn't help when top candidates are choosing between NYC, Boston, Philly, California, etc. and St. Louis) and because they interview over 1,000 people to make less than 400 offers. (It's actually not 19%, because that probably takes the low yield into account.)

According to my numbers from a few years ago, they accepted 375, including people coming off the WL, to fill 124 seats, including 20 MD/PhD.) Either way, people are no more interviewing for the WL in January or February than they are in September or October. It's just brutally competitive to get into any school, let alone a T10(11). Really doesn't matter when you interview. If they are taking the time to talk to you, they have an available spot to fill. You'll see -- people interviewing now will later report receiving As without making pit stops on the WL.

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Very true, but it's like that through the entire cycle. Most MD schools, and certainly most top schools, simply do not need to waste time and resources interviewing for a WL.

Schools like WashU and NYU just like having a lot of candidates to choose from. Other schools like Michigan and UVA do the screening on the front end and have very high post-II acceptance rates. None of these schools, however, lose track of how many seats they have and then just interview for the WL when they run out.

As I said in another post, this in contrast to DO schools, which intentionally fill their classes early with people they KNOW (or hope) they are going to lose later to MD schools. They do this to collect significant, nonrefundable deposits that are not part of the MD school revenue model but contribute significantly to DO schools. As a result, DO schools do actually start interviewing for the WL around now, but they typically make extensive use of those WLs in a way MD schools don't, because MD schools are not in the business of accepting people they expect, or even hope, to lose later in the cycle in order to generate revenue for the school.

Apples and oranges. As you said, the vast majority of everyone interviewing at WashU will not be attending, either by choice, since their yield is on the low end for a top school (being in St. Louis probably doesn't help when top candidates are choosing between NYC, Boston, Philly, California, etc. and St. Louis) and because they interview over 1,000 people to make less than 400 offers. (It's actually not 19%, because that probably takes the low yield into account.)

According to my numbers from a few years ago, they accepted 375, including people coming off the WL, to fill 124 seats, including 20 MD/PhD.) Either way, people are no more interviewing for the WL in January or February than they are in September or October. It's just brutally competitive to get into any school, let alone a T10(11). Really doesn't matter when you interview. If they are taking the time to talk to you, they have an available spot to fill. You'll see -- people interviewing now will later report receiving As without making pit stops on the WL.
You better be getting straight As in your writing classes.

• Haha
Hi, do you mind sharing what dates were available? I'm trying to see if they are close to the end/are still sending II's lol. Congrats btw!
Did they let you guys select an interview date? I got mine yesterday and they basically just said “Are you available for this date, please respond to the email”

As an aside, is Kira dress code just casual?

Did they let you guys select an interview date? I got mine yesterday and they basically just said “Are you available for this date, please respond to the email”

As an aside, is Kira dress code just casual?
I wore my interview fit for the one-way interview. I think that's the expectation.

I wore my interview fit for the one-way interview. I think that's the expectation.
Is there any timetable on when we should do the one-way interview? If our live interview is still over a month away, is there any reason to do the one-way in the next week or two?

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any timetable on when we should do the one-way interview? If our live interview is still over a month away, is there any reason to do the one-way in the next week or two?
I did mine the morning of the actual interview

Other than to get it over with, there's no reason to do it in the next week or two. They just say they would like it to be done BEFORE your interview.

Absolutely elated to have been accepted here in the last week or so (keeping it vague). I am sure that I sounded incoherent while on the phone, I am so excited! Best of luck to everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just out of curiosity, has anyone with a November interview date been accepted?

is there a reason for why a school doesn’t accept letters of intent for md but will for mstp?

For

For those that sent updates and got an interview what kinda updates did you send?
I updated them on two entrepreneurial endeavors: 1 new project that got funding and another that was part of my app, but now is becoming a real product (submitted design patents, applied for FDA approval, getting advising/partnering with a major cosmetic company). I also updated them that my long-term partner secured a job in the area. The rest was just reiterating my interest in the school.

Reactions: 2 users
wait i thought washu accepted letters of intent for MD as well

the document upload tab on my application portal says that letters of interest can go there but it doesn't say anything about letter of intent

can anyone else confirm if letters of intent are accepted for MD?
is there a reason for why a school doesn’t accept letters of intent for md but will for mstp?

wait i thought washu accepted letters of intent for MD as well

the document upload tab on my application portal says that letters of interest can go there but it doesn't say anything about letter of intent

can anyone else confirm if letters of intent are accepted for MD?
Is there a difference? To me, intent is just an extreme form of interest! :)

I'm sure you're fine, and that, in any event, letters of intent have little to no value anywhere before crunch time for pulling people off WLs in late spring. Even then, while some schools are receptive, many consider them non-binding lies sent by desperate applicants, in the word of many of the adcoms who regularly post on SDN.

At this point in the cycle, your fate is going to be determined by the strength of your file, not the intensity of your interest in receiving an A. Their yield is around 33%. They are accepting the people they like the most, not the people most likely to attend. That might change when they are pulling from the WL in May, but I really don't think it's a factor in making initial determinations at a T10 (11) school with a 33% yield.

I'm sure you're fine, and that, in any event, letters of intent have little to no value anywhere before crunch time for pulling people off WLs in late spring. Even then, while some schools are receptive, many consider them non-binding lies sent by desperate applicants, in the word of many of the adcoms who regularly post on SDN.

At this point in the cycle, your fate is going to be determined by the strength of your file, not the intensity of your interest in receiving an A. Their yield is around 33%. They are accepting the people they like the most, not the people most likely to attend. That might change when they are pulling from the WL in May, but I really don't think it's a factor in making initial determinations at a T10 (11) school with a 33% yield.
thanks for the info, when you say 33% yield does that mean post interview acceptance rate? if so, do you know where I can find that info for other schools?

No. It's a number I calculated from various sources. It's the percent of accepted applicants, including those pulled off the WL, that actually enroll. Coincidentally, the post-II acceptance rate is also around 35%. Again, that includes people later taken off the WL.

I will say Dean Ratts specifically said they do seriously consider letters of intent and do take notice of them and consider them in their decision during my interview day. I also know LOIs are important to WUSM… so some may see at as desperation, but washu doesn’t seem like one of those schools.

These things really really vary by school, so I wouldn’t discourage individuals from sending them (especially since they almost never hurt someone’s app — if the school doesn’t care about them, they normally just don’t look at it, like JHU).

Last edited: