Pitt Med vs. Stony Brook - Do Rankings really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jam244

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've gotten through the arduous process of MCATs, applications, and interviews, and finally made it into a handful of schools. Good luck to all of those who wish to follow this path!

I'm currently deciding between Pitt and Stony Brook - Pitt has a better reputation, but Stony is close to home, and cheaper for a new york resident such as myself. Will going to a less renowned school hurt me in the long run, even though in the immediate future stony brook will save me some money and allow me to be near home?

Any other thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I've gotten through the arduous process of MCATs, applications, and interviews, and finally made it into a handful of schools. Good luck to all of those who wish to follow this path!

I'm currently deciding between Pitt and Stony Brook - Pitt has a better reputation, but Stony is close to home, and cheaper for a new york resident such as myself. Will going to a less renowned school hurt me in the long run, even though in the immediate future stony brook will save me some money and allow me to be near home?

Any other thoughts??

Are you interested in a career in research or academic medicine? If not, just go to Stony Brook. Pitt is a great school but I don't think it would be worth the money and the distance from your family unless you for some reason need to attend a prestigious school.

Rankings shmankings. Unless you're trying to gun for Chair of Orthopaedermic Neuroplasticsurgery at the University of Pennsylhopkins, just go where you'll be happiest

Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering academic medicine which makes it a little tough. Stony Brook recently did get a $150 million donation to the med program.....which is appealing considering they are putting most of it toward recruiting research faculty. haha I originally made that first post when i was about to click "withdraw application" on Pitt's online system - its tough making a really final decision!

Rankings shmankings. Unless you're trying to gun for Chair of Orthopaedermic Neuroplasticsurgery at the University of Pennsylhopkins, just go where you'll be happiest

I want to be the youngest person ever to be the director of ortheopaedermic neuroplasticsurgery at the university of pennsylhopkins.

I want to be the youngest person ever to be the director of ortheopaedermic neuroplasticsurgery at the university of pennsylhopkins.

Thee best field to get into thus far in medicine

Go to SB.

Actually, neuroplasticsurgery sounds awesome. You could run ad campaigns trying to make people feel insecure about their brains not being attractive enough and rake in the millions.

P.S. Sounds like you really want to go to SB.

Stony Brook's research is still pretty strong. You could do much worse as far as research goes. I'd go to SB.

If the only thing making you consider Pitt is the reputation/ranking, then I think you should go with Stony Brook (which you seem to favor more anyway), especially if you want to stay in that region for residency. Closer to your support system, cheaper, and it's still a great school! From what I've heard, reputation only goes so far - you still need the good grades, USMLE score, and interviews to get into your desired residency no matter what med school you attend.

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.