This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your best bet is to get that GPA up. I barely got into one school off the waitlist with a 3.45 GPA, which was the main concern for my file reviews. What's that animal rights club? As important as animal rights is, many animal rights organizations have a bad reputation for a variety of reasons. If it's associated with something like PETA then it might not be the best thing to put on your application or be involved with in general. That's just my opinion as someone who knows nothing about that specific club though.
Thank you for replying, I appreciate it! The SPAR club is something that my friend and I started up, we do volunteering with the local animal shelters, set up vegan bake sales, provide speakers to speak on campus about how to help animals/go vegan/help conservation. Also do you think if I just get my GPA up I'll need to retake animal physiology to replace the C+?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it! The SPAR club is something that my friend and I started up, we do volunteering with the local animal shelters, set up vegan bake sales, provide speakers to speak on campus about how to help animals/go vegan/help conservation. Also do you think if I just get my GPA up I'll need to retake animal physiology to replace the C+?
That sounds like it should be fine then! I don't think retaking a C is ever needed unless your GPA is just abysmally low and you could benefit a significant amount from it. Some of the schools who denied me said I could consider retaking two gen chem classes I got C's in if I really wanted to. But 1) I really didn't want... gen chem is terrible 2) even if I got an A the second time, it would still only average out to a B which isn't a massive improvement with almost your entire undergrad completed.

Reactions: 1 user
What's that animal rights club? As important as animal rights welfare is, many animal rights organizations have a bad reputation for a variety of reasons.

FIFY.

OP, you might get a more detailed response posting this in the "What are my chances" thread (look at the top of the forum page under "Sticky Threads").

A C or two will not kill your application as long as you have strong grades in all prerequisites and a strong overall GPA.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

I'm 21 years old, female, and a Pennsylvania resident

I'm applying this cycle (2018). Currently getting my B.S. in Animal Science at Ohio State (will be graduating in December of this year)

Cumulative GPA: 3.983
Science GPA probably around a 3.97
Major GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE:
160 quantitative, 165 verbal, 6 analytical writing

Research:
Getting ready to defend my honors research thesis. I studied the affects of various music genres on dog behavior and adoption rates at a local humane society

Animal Experience:
-100 hours volunteering at local shelters/sanctuaries
-160 spent in South Africa learning about exotic animal conservation/rehabilitation
-400 hours interning at a dairy calf ranch
-100 hours working with animals on my university's farms
-150 hours working with a local therapy dog organization and teaching local middle schools about therapy dogs (started in high school)

Vet Experience:
-70 hours shadowing at various clinics in my hometown
-270 hours interning as a kennel assistant
-400 (and counting) hours working as a vet assistant at an emergency and critical care facility

Letters of Recommendation
- my academic advisor
- the head of the therapy dog organization
- veterinarian at the emergency center

Etc:
- member of my church orchestra
- three time recipient of the American Society of Animal Science student scholar award
-Vice President/competition coordinator of my dance team
-public relations chair for both sophomore and junior class honoraries
-general and organic chemistry tutor

So far I am planning on applying to OSU, Penn, and Davis. I want to pick 1 or 2 more schools, but am not sure which yet.

Thanks in advance!
You'll be getting an interview at Davis as long as you LOR are solid like (99.99999% in my opinion which is not associated with the school at all). Hope I see you then!

Just to derail a teensy bit, @germanshepard123 I'd recommend looking up the differences in philosophies between animal rights and animal welfare, because there are major differences. Animal Rights organizations = red flag for many industries, and not something I'd personally want to ever be associated with. Despite what the actual organization does the word itself is going to raise suspicion. If you want to chat more about this I'm happy to do so with you, just shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly your app looks pretty solid overall. Is there opportunity for you to get vet experience with larger animals and with some exotics? Continue rocking! I would say just articulate your responses to the questions on VMCAS and supplementals well. Make sure you are getting GOOD lors and maybe think of someone for a back up incase one falls through. My advice for you for picking other schools is to pick ones that would be cheap-NC,WA, and Mizzou come to mind. I think all of those would probably be cheaper or close to the same cost as that of OSU as an instate student. Just make sure to include everything and that you meet all the prereqs for those schools (all your experiences per VMCAS instructions which last year meant going back like 10ish years or so. So I had stuff on my app from high school.) I'm sure others may have something I missed, more to add. Overall though I think you're on the right track. Goodluck!

Thank you! I’m waiting to here back from our large animal hospital about shadowing over the summer, so hopefully I’ll be able to food animal vet hours from that

Not 100% sure if your kennel assistant job would be considered vet experience or not.
I agree with mixys post above though

I guess kennel assistant might be the wrong word for it. I did help out with cleaning and walking of inpatients but I also acted as a “float” of sorts, restraining for minor procedures and radiographs and running lab work.

I guess kennel assistant might be the wrong word for it. I did help out with cleaning and walking of inpatients but I also acted as a “float” of sorts, restraining for minor procedures and radiographs and running lab work.
Might label it as like kennel assistant/vet assistant or something, but it could be fine just with saying the vet assisting in the description. But yeah the restraining and running labs definitely should count. Some people on here may advise to split your hours up but idk how necessary it is unless you’re like 80/20 kennel/vet.

I'm reposting some stats with updates to help get feedback on where I should apply next cycle. Specifically, which schools would be a good fit based on my stats? I know for sure I'll apply to Cornell, Tufts, and UPenn.

Currently waitlisted IS at Cornell and OOS at Wisconsin.

To preface: I've taken the GRE 3x now and have concluded that I just suck at both taking and studying for standardized tests (same score first 2 times, worse score last time taken). I didn't decide on becoming a vet until sophomore year of college. I also changed my major to biology that year and I hadn't taken a bio class since 8th grade (so I had a lot of catching up to do and bio classes are curved--hence low GPA). I'm also from a low-income family so a lot of hours I could have used to accumulate experience was used to work so I could pay for tuition/rent. I would have liked to work in a clinical setting for my gap year, but few to none of those jobs are paid if you're not a LVT. So I did what I could.

Academics:
BA in Biological Sciences from Cornell, completed May 2017

GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.16
Last 45 GPA: 3.56

GRE Scores:
V: 157 (75th percentile)
Q: 159 (73rd percentile)
W: 5.0 (93rd percentile) <- the one score Cornell doesn't care about! :rage:

Vet Experience:***
SA clinic in my hometown, owned by a Cornell alumni (240 hrs)
Wildlife Health Clinic (130 hrs)
Assisting with Cornell Vet School 3rd year class on bovine IVF and AI (4 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Guiding Eyes for the Blind puppy trainer and sitter (320 hrs)

Research:
Student researcher in a neuropsychology lab focusing on neural mechanisms of social behavior in prairie voles (involved animal handling; over 200 hrs)
Current lab tech in Cornell Vet School Research building, studying reproduction and carrying out bovine IVF (mentored by a DVM/PhD; idk like 500 hrs at time of application, now like 1500 hours)

Volunteer/Extracurricular Experience:
Treasurer/House Manager/Alumni Mentor for a co-ed chemistry fraternity, member since freshman year of college
Intramural Bowling

Employment:
Wegmans (grocery chain) for 6 years, started in high school and worked during breaks and holidays while in college
Library assistant in a small library in my dorm freshman year of college
Worked at my college's career center as a resume critiquer/student advisor for 3 years in college

My LORs:
SA vet that I interned with, Cornell alum
Undergrad faculty advisor
Undergrad research advisor from neuropsychology lab
Mentor from current job, current Cornell Vet clinician and researcher (DVM/PhD)

***I will be getting more vet experience through my boss and his resident this summer. I'll be helping with a study on equine reproduction by getting samples from them.

I'm reposting some stats with updates to help get feedback on where I should apply next cycle. Specifically, which schools would be a good fit based on my stats? I know for sure I'll apply to Cornell, Tufts, and UPenn.

Currently waitlisted IS at Cornell and OOS at Wisconsin.

To preface: I've taken the GRE 3x now and have concluded that I just suck at both taking and studying for standardized tests (same score first 2 times, worse score last time taken). I didn't decide on becoming a vet until sophomore year of college. I also changed my major to biology that year and I hadn't taken a bio class since 8th grade (so I had a lot of catching up to do and bio classes are curved--hence low GPA). I'm also from a low-income family so a lot of hours I could have used to accumulate experience was used to work so I could pay for tuition/rent. I would have liked to work in a clinical setting for my gap year, but few to none of those jobs are paid if you're not a LVT. So I did what I could.

Academics:
BA in Biological Sciences from Cornell, completed May 2017

GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.16
Last 45 GPA: 3.56

GRE Scores:
V: 157 (75th percentile)
Q: 159 (73rd percentile)
W: 5.0 (93rd percentile) <- the one score Cornell doesn't care about! :rage:

Vet Experience:***
SA clinic in my hometown, owned by a Cornell alumni (240 hrs)
Wildlife Health Clinic (130 hrs)
Assisting with Cornell Vet School 3rd year class on bovine IVF and AI (4 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Guiding Eyes for the Blind puppy trainer and sitter (320 hrs)

Research:
Student researcher in a neuropsychology lab focusing on neural mechanisms of social behavior in prairie voles (involved animal handling; over 200 hrs)
Current lab tech in Cornell Vet School Research building, studying reproduction and carrying out bovine IVF (mentored by a DVM/PhD; idk like 500 hrs at time of application, now like 1500 hours)

Treasurer/House Manager/Alumni Mentor for a co-ed chemistry fraternity, member since freshman year of college
Intramural Bowling

Employment:
Wegmans (grocery chain) for 6 years, started in high school and worked during breaks and holidays while in college
Library assistant in a small library in my dorm freshman year of college
Worked at my college's career center as a resume critiquer/student advisor for 3 years in college

My LORs:
SA vet that I interned with, Cornell alum
Undergrad faculty advisor
Undergrad research advisor from neuropsychology lab
Mentor from current job, current Cornell Vet clinician and researcher (DVM/PhD)

***I will be getting more vet experience through my boss and his resident this summer. I'll be helping with a study on equine reproduction by getting samples from them.
I think you should look at schools that weight last 45 heavily. I think you said you didn't want to move very far? Unfortunately, I think you have to be willing to sacrifice something, location or time and money by applying and improving. I think Kansas or Iowa would be good addition. Always do your own research too (disclaimer)! Best of luck to you!

I think you should look at schools that weight last 45 heavily. I think you said you didn't want to move very far? Unfortunately, I think you have to be willing to sacrifice something, location or time and money by applying and improving. I think Kansas or Iowa would be good addition. Always do your own research too (disclaimer)! Best of luck to you!
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the location part. If anything, I'd like to be near a big city so that my boyfriend can join me when he's done with his PhD in electrical engineering. He's looking for larger companies to work for since he'll have a PhD (Qualcomm, Microsoft) and those jobs tend to be in cities.

ETA: Ty for the school recs!

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the location part. If anything, I'd like to be near a big city so that my boyfriend can join me when he's done with his PhD in electrical engineering. He's looking for larger companies to work for since he'll have a PhD (Qualcomm, Microsoft) and those jobs tend to be in cities.

ETA: Ty for the school recs!
You might consider VA tech since their application does seem more holistic than many places. And good LORs and essays could possibly land you an interview despite a lower GPA.

Also, the town is smaller, obv, but there are a lot of major companies working in the area (mostly Roanoke) because of relative proximity to DC - overhead is much cheaper for the company but they can still compete in the capital region for contracts.

ETA: Not sure what your bf is looking to do, but here are some of the bigger companies with area offices: AECOM, BAE, Burns & McDonnell, Harris Corp, and Moog Inc. Virginia Tech itself may have post-doc opportunities (as would other schools too, possibly, although I would think a tech focused school might have more than average?)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hi, posting for my brother who is pre-vet.

Male, South Asian, CT resident

Academics:
GPA: 3.864
SGPA: 3.86
Last 45 Credits: 3.96

GRE:
V: 162 (91st percentile)
Q: 160 (76 percentile) considering retaking to improve quantitative, thoughts?
W: 4.5 (82nd percentile)

Vet Experience/Employment:
Small animal hospital: 3,000+ hours

Animal Experience:
Horse farm: 200 hours
Llama/rescue farm: 120 hours
Necropsy lab: 90 hours

Research:
Conducted in embryonic pluripotent stem cell lab for 3 years (800+ hours)
2 publications (3rd one pending) 5th author on both pubs

Undergraduate TA for genetics course
Leadership facilitator
Indian Students Association
Filipino Students Association
Middle School Tutoring
Creation of veterinary image data base for training veterinary pathology residents

LORS:
Undergraduate animal science professor (known for 3 years,TAed under)
Pathobiology Professor
Veterinarian

I'm not exactly sure where to apply. My father is also a veterinarian if that helps any.

Members don't see this ad :)

Academics:

GRE:

Animal Experience:

Research:

Leadership facilitator
Middle School Tutoring
Creation of veterinary image data base for training veterinary pathology residents

LORS:
Pathobiology Professor
Veterinarian

I'm not exactly sure where to apply. My father is also a veterinarian if that helps any.
I’m not entirely sure your brother would need to retake the gre. His scores are above the average for most schools, but if there’s a particular school he’s interested in that in the class stats there’s a higher gre, he could take it again, but it’s not really necessary. Since he has high GPAs and a high gre, he probably stands a decent chance at most places to at least get an interview. If CT doesn’t have a school that offers contract seats to CT residents, I’d recommend applying to schools that would allow him to change his residency after the first year so that his tuition costs could stay lower than if he were OOS all four years. Afaik, the only ones that do that are Davis (likes a high last 45, high Q gre, and high science gre I believe? @Coopah), Washington State, mizzou, Ohio State, and NCSU (doesn’t interview OOS afaik?). He could also apply to some other schools if interested to increase his chances of getting in somewhere the first round, I would just highly recommend that he goes wherever is cheapest if accepted to multiple places.

I’m not entirely sure your brother would need to retake the gre. His scores are above the average for most schools, but if there’s a particular school he’s interested in that in the class stats there’s a higher gre, he could take it again, but it’s not really necessary. Since he has high GPAs and a high gre, he probably stands a decent chance at most places to at least get an interview. If CT doesn’t have a school that offers contract seats to CT residents, I’d recommend applying to schools that would allow him to change his residency after the first year so that his tuition costs could stay lower than if he were OOS all four years. Afaik, the only ones that do that are Davis (likes a high last 45, high Q gre, and high science gre I believe? @Coopah), Washington State, mizzou, Ohio State, and NCSU (doesn’t interview OOS afaik?). He could also apply to some other schools if interested to increase his chances of getting in somewhere the first round, I would just highly recommend that he goes wherever is cheapest if accepted to multiple places.
Minnesota also does :)

The only contract CT had as of my application cycle for c/o 2021 was for ISU, but there were only 10 students from CT offered lower tuition and there were no reserved seats. I would have your brother call ISU to check if anything has changed, but CT couldn't afford to maintain the 6 seats it had years ago and sadly I doubt that has changed :(

Academics:

GRE:

Animal Experience:

Research:

Leadership facilitator
Middle School Tutoring

LORS:
Pathobiology Professor
Veterinarian

Yup Davis would be an excellent option. They allow IS tuition after first year which is nice and he has excellent stats. I believe Iowa has a few contract seats for CT residents though so perhaps there as well?

Hi, posted this a few months ago but I think I got skipped over!

Hi everyone! I'm very excited to be applying for the first time this upcoming cycle- planning to apply to Cornell, UPenn, Tufts, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Virginia-Maryland, and possibly a few others. Looking for areas to improve my application, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

NY resident
Female, 24
B.S. in Integrative Neuroscience with minors in Biological Anthropology and Evolutionary Studies

Cum GPA: 3.59
Sci GPA: 3.53
Last 45 GPA: 3.50

GRE: 160v (86%), 157q (66%), 4.5a (82%) -- took this November 2014, probably taking it again in May

Veterinary Experience:
2,000 hours at a SA clinic as an assistant- working full time currently so this number will be increased by time of application
300 lab animal- worked in a research position where I worked with a DVM and LVT to maintain the health of our mouse colony*
50 hours shadowing at an emergency clinic- mostly SA but saw a couple exotics

Animal Experience:
700 hours at SPCA walking and training dogs
50 hours petsitting cats, bunnies, rats, mice

Research Experience:
3,500 working as a research technician in a lab studying axon regeneration
500 volunteering in a lab in undergrad studying the prevalence of Lyme disease in built environments

Extracurriculars:
Delta Epsilon Mu National Professional Pre-Health Co-Ed Fraternity- member for 3 years, served as Education Chair, Public Relations Chair

Honors/Awards:
Graduated Cum Laude
Nu Rho Psi
Neuroscience Honor Society Inductee
Undergraduate Research Award in Biological Anthropology
Selected to give a presentation at ENDO 2017- The Endocrine Society annual meeting for an abstract submitted on my lab project regarding treatment strategies for mice with stunted growth

Letters of Rec:
Research PI from the lab I worked in
DVM from SA practice - probably going to ask two DVMs from this practice
Thinking of asking the trainer from the SPCA

Concerns:
GPA- wondering if I should try to take a couple classes this summer/fall to try to improve the last 45
Variety of experience in both veterinary and animal disciplines
*For the lab animal experience, I mainly worked with the LVT, she would asses the health of the animals and consult with the DVM regarding the treatment plan, but I only had email correspondence regarding certain issues with the DVM. Is it okay to count this under veterinary experience? I was responsible for carrying out treatments on the mice on a daily basis, including performing subcutaneous and IP injections, administering oral medications, using a tonometer to test for IOP, expressing bladders, treating wounds, and sedation and anesthetic monitoring of mice- I also took a lab animal surgery course to be approved in these disciplines

Hi! I have been a long-time SDN lurker, but I just now created an account because I have started to freak out about my vet school application.

I just got my grades back from my spring semester of my junior year and they are really disheartening. I took 18 credits consisting of physics (C+), o-chem II (C), a senior level biology course (A), a senior level animal science course (A-), and an agronomy elective (B)... in addition to a heavy course load, I worked 2 part-time jobs.. this semester alone sent my cGPA from a 3.6 to a 3.4 :(

I am an Iowa resident and will be applying to ISU only (my soon-to-be husband is a farmer and we have cattle so I can’t really leave).

I am now a senior at Iowa state, I just finished all my prerequisites but am graduating with my BS in Biology in December. I have a few classes left to take in the fall, and they are all animal-related, so hopefully I can up my GPA a little.

As of now:
cGPA: 3.4
Last 45: 3.4

Research experience: Lab assistant at VMRI (mainly work with swine: porcine viruses and vaccines).. Assist with necropsies, sampling, general lab work, etc. ~120 hours

Vet experience:
Vet assistant with a small animal veterinarian and canine reproduction specialist ~250 hours
Job shadowing livestock veterinarians ~20 hours
Job shadowing at mixed animal practice ~7 hours
Job shadowing surgeons at referral clinic: orthopedics, opthalmetry, and oncology ~7 hours

Animal experience:
Training/showing horses (4H, AQHA) ~2000+ hours
Cow herd (AI, calving out cows, shots, tagging calves, banding bull calves, general management stuff) ~1500+ hours
Canine obedience training (trained dogs to pass AKC canine good citizen tests) ~100 hours
Assisted with breeding dogs and whelping puppies for a (responsible) Labrador breeder ~200 hours
Dog sitting ~100 hours
(I’m probably forgetting some little ones that I’ll include in my application, but you catch my drift).

Work experience: a few unrelated jobs, good references nonetheless

Letters of recommendation:
-animal science professor
-small animal vet (ISU CVM alum)
-former employer, not an animal-related job
-post-doc I worked for at the research lab
-accomplished surgeon who I job shadowed with, ISU CVM alum (He is also my uncle. Is that frowned upon? I can’t find anywhere that says it’s against the rules.)

Concerns:
I transferred twice as a freshman. Did the first semester as a nursing major at an out of state school, did the second semester as a bio major at a tiny, expensive private school, and then went to ISU my sophomore year and stayed for good. Surprisingly I kept good grades through all that transferring, but I hope just the fact that I bounced around a bit as a naive 18-year-old doesn’t hinder my chances too much.
I also don’t know exactly what my career goals are. I’ve loved raising cattle but I also love the companion animal side of things, and to add to the confusion, my heart belongs to equine! I will probably end up doing a lot of livestock just because of the area I’m going to live/work in. Should I just go with that? Or do the admissions people like students who come in open minded?

This will be my first time applying. I just learned that ISU no longer requires the GRE. Should I take it anyway even though I’m not planning on applying to other schools?

If any of you would be interested in giving me a dose of reality—how much of a shot I have at making it in this cycle—I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Hi! I have been a long-time SDN lurker, but I just now created an account because I have started to freak out about my vet school application.

I just got my grades back from my spring semester of my junior year and they are really disheartening. I took 18 credits consisting of physics (C+), o-chem II (C), a senior level biology course (A), a senior level animal science course (A-), and an agronomy elective (B)... in addition to a heavy course load, I worked 2 part-time jobs.. this semester alone sent my cGPA from a 3.6 to a 3.4 :(

I am an Iowa resident and will be applying to ISU only (my soon-to-be husband is a farmer and we have cattle so I can’t really leave).

I am now a senior at Iowa state, I just finished all my prerequisites but am graduating with my BS in Biology in December. I have a few classes left to take in the fall, and they are all animal-related, so hopefully I can up my GPA a little.

As of now:
cGPA: 3.4
Last 45: 3.4

Research experience: Lab assistant at VMRI (mainly work with swine: porcine viruses and vaccines).. Assist with necropsies, sampling, general lab work, etc. ~120 hours

Vet experience:
Vet assistant with a small animal veterinarian and canine reproduction specialist ~250 hours
Job shadowing livestock veterinarians ~20 hours
Job shadowing at mixed animal practice ~7 hours
Job shadowing surgeons at referral clinic: orthopedics, opthalmetry, and oncology ~7 hours

Animal experience:
Training/showing horses (4H, AQHA) ~2000+ hours
Cow herd (AI, calving out cows, shots, tagging calves, banding bull calves, general management stuff) ~1500+ hours
Canine obedience training (trained dogs to pass AKC canine good citizen tests) ~100 hours
Assisted with breeding dogs and whelping puppies for a (responsible) Labrador breeder ~200 hours
Dog sitting ~100 hours
(I’m probably forgetting some little ones that I’ll include in my application, but you catch my drift).

Work experience: a few unrelated jobs, good references nonetheless

Letters of recommendation:
-animal science professor
-small animal vet (ISU CVM alum)
-former employer, not an animal-related job
-post-doc I worked for at the research lab
-accomplished surgeon who I job shadowed with, ISU CVM alum (He is also my uncle. Is that frowned upon? I can’t find anywhere that says it’s against the rules.)

Concerns:
I transferred twice as a freshman. Did the first semester as a nursing major at an out of state school, did the second semester as a bio major at a tiny, expensive private school, and then went to ISU my sophomore year and stayed for good. Surprisingly I kept good grades through all that transferring, but I hope just the fact that I bounced around a bit as a naive 18-year-old doesn’t hinder my chances too much.
I also don’t know exactly what my career goals are. I’ve loved raising cattle but I also love the companion animal side of things, and to add to the confusion, my heart belongs to equine! I will probably end up doing a lot of livestock just because of the area I’m going to live/work in. Should I just go with that? Or do the admissions people like students who come in open minded?

This will be my first time applying. I just learned that ISU no longer requires the GRE. Should I take it anyway even though I’m not planning on applying to other schools?

If any of you would be interested in giving me a dose of reality—how much of a shot I have at making it in this cycle—I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
If they don’t require the gre, don’t waste your money taking it when you’re not applying anywhere else this cycle. If you don’t get in this year and feel like branching out next year (which you don’t have to, you definitely can apply to only your IS each cycle you apply if it takes more than one and just keep strengthening your app between cycles bc in state tuition >>> oos tuition) you can worry about taking it then.
For Iowa State, they don’t care about cumulative gpa beyond making sure you meet the 2.75(?) minimum and then it’s just prereq and last 45 gpa. Keep your grades up this fall to boost your last 45 and if you want to, take some extra classes over the summer if you want at like a community college to help boost your gpa (totally optional, but if you’re wanting to boost your gpa and have the finances to do so, it’s an option). You won’t be able to get those two Cs out of your last 45, but two Cs isn’t going to make or break your app. If you don’t get in this year, do a file review and see what ISU recommends doing for next cycle. If they recommend retaking one or both of those Cs, do it. If they don’t recommend that, you could still retake one but there could be something else you could fix that they’d like more.

Hi, posted this a few months ago but I think I got skipped over!

Hi everyone! I'm very excited to be applying for the first time this upcoming cycle- planning to apply to Cornell, UPenn, Tufts, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Virginia-Maryland, and possibly a few others. Looking for areas to improve my application, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

NY resident
Female, 24
B.S. in Integrative Neuroscience with minors in Biological Anthropology and Evolutionary Studies

Cum GPA: 3.59
Sci GPA: 3.53
Last 45 GPA: 3.50

GRE: 160v (86%), 157q (66%), 4.5a (82%) -- took this November 2014, probably taking it again in May

Veterinary Experience:
2,000 hours at a SA clinic as an assistant- working full time currently so this number will be increased by time of application
300 lab animal- worked in a research position where I worked with a DVM and LVT to maintain the health of our mouse colony*
50 hours shadowing at an emergency clinic- mostly SA but saw a couple exotics

Animal Experience:
700 hours at SPCA walking and training dogs
50 hours petsitting cats, bunnies, rats, mice

Research Experience:
3,500 working as a research technician in a lab studying axon regeneration
500 volunteering in a lab in undergrad studying the prevalence of Lyme disease in built environments

Extracurriculars:
Delta Epsilon Mu National Professional Pre-Health Co-Ed Fraternity- member for 3 years, served as Education Chair, Public Relations Chair

Honors/Awards:
Graduated Cum Laude
Nu Rho Psi
Neuroscience Honor Society Inductee
Undergraduate Research Award in Biological Anthropology
Selected to give a presentation at ENDO 2017- The Endocrine Society annual meeting for an abstract submitted on my lab project regarding treatment strategies for mice with stunted growth

Letters of Rec:
Research PI from the lab I worked in
DVM from SA practice - probably going to ask two DVMs from this practice
Thinking of asking the trainer from the SPCA

Concerns:
GPA- wondering if I should try to take a couple classes this summer/fall to try to improve the last 45
Variety of experience in both veterinary and animal disciplines
*For the lab animal experience, I mainly worked with the LVT, she would asses the health of the animals and consult with the DVM regarding the treatment plan, but I only had email correspondence regarding certain issues with the DVM. Is it okay to count this under veterinary experience? I was responsible for carrying out treatments on the mice on a daily basis, including performing subcutaneous and IP injections, administering oral medications, using a tonometer to test for IOP, expressing bladders, treating wounds, and sedation and anesthetic monitoring of mice- I also took a lab animal surgery course to be approved in these disciplines

Overall, your stats seem good. You could take a couple classes this summer to improve your last 45 GPA, but I'd do some calculations to see how much you actually could boost your last 45 before doing that. Generally speaking, fall grades would not go in your last 45 GPA, so I would not recommend taking classes this fall. If you could pick up some veterinary experience in a new area this summer (large animal, equine, exotics, wildlife, etc.), that would probably be good. Generally, animal experience is not as important as veterinary experience, so I wouldn't worry as much about diversifying those experiences. I would put the lab animal experience under veterinary; if the vet schools disagree, they will just recategorize it themselves.

In terms of the schools you are applying to, how are you picking them? You've managed to pick many of the more expensive OOS schools (esp. Penn, Michigan, and Tufts). Of the ones you've listed, only Cornell and VMCVM are going to cost you less than $300,000. I would recommend checking out https://vetschoolbound.org/how-much-will-my-veterinary-education-cost/. Cost (and therefore the amount of loans you have to take out) are going to have more of a long-term impact on you than going to a school that you like more (for whatever reason: location, ranking, specialties, etc.).

Cost (and therefore the amount of loans you have to take out) are going to have more of a long-term impact on you than going to a school that you like more (for whatever reason: location, ranking, specialties, etc.).
@Op
Pls take a look at my sdn signature under my posts if you’re thinking about going somewhere expensive or looking at school rankings

Hi everyone. I am going to be as detailed as possible while seeking advice. Right now my odds seem pretty terrible. I only have a 3.0 right now. Are there any schools that would actually accept lower than a 3.2? With my final year and time I can only work on improve a limited amount of things. If I cram 36 credit hours into the last two semesters I can raise my GPA to a 3.25, but majority of those classes would be challenging UD sciences and I would need As in all of them. Should I focus on doing this or settle for As in my final courses (26 hours)? I know all options end with a less desired GPA outcome, but with the second option I could use the extra time to gain more experience through shadowing and labs. Could someone please tell me which route would increase my chances the most? If there is any advice you could add, please do. Also, please list any vet schools that I should apply for. I have a few listed that have lower GPA requirements, but right now I feel far from confident about those too. I have been very stressed about this and could really use the help...

Hi everyone. I am going to be as detailed as possible while seeking advice. Right now my odds seem pretty terrible. I only have a 3.0 right now. Are there any schools that would actually accept lower than a 3.2? With my final year and time I can only work on improve a limited amount of things. If I cram 36 credit hours into the last two semesters I can raise my GPA to a 3.25, but majority of those classes would be challenging UD sciences and I would need As in all of them. Should I focus on doing this or settle for As in my final courses (26 hours)? I know all options end with a less desired GPA outcome, but with the second option I could use the extra time to gain more experience through shadowing and labs. Could someone please tell me which route would increase my chances the most? If there is any advice you could add, please do. Also, please list any vet schools that I should apply for. I have a few listed that have lower GPA requirements, but right now I feel far from confident about those too. I have been very stressed about this and could really use the help...

So at this point, with your low cum GPA, I would focus on schools that weight last 45 GPA more heavily or that only look to make sure that you meet a minimum cum GPA. Somebody else will hopefully pitch in here because I am not super certain of which schools those are, but I think I've heard Michigan State and Illinois don't factor GPA into admissions decisions at all and Kansas State and Iowa State are more focused on last 45 GPA and pre-req GPA. Whether you take 26 hours or 36 hours, you really need to kill it in your last two semesters to bring up your last 45 GPA. In addition, make sure that you have a diverse array of veterinary experiences in different areas (large animal, small animal, equine, exotics, wildlife, etc.), as great experiences will become even more important with a low GPA. I would also encourage you to take time in your last two semesters to figure out why you have been struggling in classes and what you need to do to improve your academic performance. Do you need to study differently? Do you need to go to tutoring? Is something outside of school affecting your performance? Vet school is even harder than undergrad, so sorting out these things now will be important for being successful in the future.

My personal advice is not to over extend yourself. I would concentrate on the final credits you have. Then focus on experience and what will make you stand out as a candidate.

As far as the GPA, yes, there are schools that don't weigh it as heavily as others. Michigan State looks at your last 36 credits, not 45 like other schools, as well as cumulative science GPA. They do NOT consider overall GPA. For them, they have a minimum 3.0 in both. That gets you a file review, where they look at experience, etc. They are also very frank that GPA gets you in the file review process, but after that, they want more than just a good student. I don't know how the other schools work, but I concentrated more on my experiences and essays and worried less about my grades because of this. They also don't require the GRE.

So, these will be general responses cause this info is very general. If you scroll through the What Are My Chances Thread, you'll see a format people use to give a lot of info. The more info we have, the more useful info we can give.

With this general info, I would say I would not take the bare minimum amount of credits you need and smash them into the ground with A's. There's no point in taking 36 credits if you aren't going to ace them. With already having a 3.0, Bs will only maintain, not improve. Same with gaining more experience hours. Only go for it if you'll also be able to maintain As in whatever classes you take.

As far as a school list, you need to focus on those that:

Do not use/focus on cumulative GPA
Focus on scienceGPA, last 45/36 GPA, prerequisite GPA --> but that also depends on what those GPAs currently/will look like
Experiences (vet, research, animal, leadership, etc)
Hold letters of rec/personal statement/GRE/interview in high regard

The best way to get this info is by contacting schools directly/sifting through threads here for that info. As an example, U of I does not consider the GPAs once you're granted an interview and you move on to Phase III (but GPA is considered in Phase I). The last time I applied to CSU a few years ago, they didn't consider cGPA, but looked for an upward trend. So if you had a 2.0 freshman year, but earned your 3.0 by getting 3.5-4.0 every semester since, that looks positively for them. K-State considered your last 45GPA over cGPA the last time I applied there as well. As a general rule, your state school will be more forgiving of a lower GPA than out of state schools.

Hey all! After receiving an offer to get my Phd in Neuroscience, I had this horrible sinking feeling that it was not what I wanted to do. Since that time, I have decided to go back to my childhood dream of becoming a vet. I am now currently finishing my last 2 pre-reqs, (both with As), but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to beef up my application. I am planning in applying May 2019, unless my advisor convinces me otherwise, school recommendations welcome.

First time applicant
LA or TN resident (in the process of switching to LA, but might stay as a TN if I decide to apply there)
Current Degrees
B.S. Chemistry
B.S. Psychology Pre-Med

GPA
Overall: 3.32 (i know this is a low point, am discussing options with my vet advisor to see if talking more classes will be worth it)
Last 45: 3.55

Animal Experience (most recent to furthest out)
Full Time Vet Technician - (2000hrs - on going)
Kennel Technician - (1000hrs)
Competitive Equestrian (1500hrs)
Stable Hand (how I paid for my equestrian lessons) (3000hrs)
Farm Work (with pigs, cattle, chickens and ducks) (4000hrs)

Not sure if this counts:
Pet sitting (cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbils) - 200hrs
Bird Ownership

Theses
Experimentally Generated Interpersonal Closeness among Heterosexual Undergraduates
The Synthesis, Classification, and Catalytic Properties of Gold Nanoparticles Au102 and Au144

Work Experience
Vet Tech
Kennel Tech
Sunday School Teacher at my Synagogue
Waitress
Research Assistant
Office Assistant

Volunteer Experience
Therapeutic Riding Program (for children on the Autism Spectrum)
Crisis Text Line Crisis Counselor
Children's Hospital

Other
An award from each of the following at departments at my university: Chemistry, Psychology and Honors Program
I was the president, and student life coordinator for the honors program
ACS member
People for Peace co-founder (a club on campus)
Leader of a few other clubs etc, etc,

After next year, I can apply to 17 schools. If I load up my schedule over next year by taking Animal Nutrition and Microbio, I will be able to apply to about 8 more schools. But If I do not take those two classes, I think I can maintain a higher GPA than if I did.

My stats:
Current Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.51
Vet hours: 280
Small animal hours: 200
Research hours with lemurs: 50

Questions:
1 Is it more advisable to take microbio and animal nutrition gaining the prereqs to those 8 more schools or should I skip out on those courses and hope to maintain a high GPA?
2 Would these schools that require animal nutrition and microbio have less applicants because of these prereqs? Would I have a better chance getting accepted to these schools, if this is the case?

The 8 additional schools that require microbio and animal nutrition:
Kansas State University
Louisiana State University
Mississippi State University
Ohio State University
Oklahoma State University
Purdue University
Western University of Health Sciences
North Carolina State University

After next year, I can apply to 17 schools. If I load up my schedule over next year by taking Animal Nutrition and Microbio, I will be able to apply to about 8 more schools. But If I do not take those two classes, I think I can maintain a higher GPA than if I did.

My stats:

Questions:
1 Is it more advisable to take microbio and animal nutrition gaining the prereqs to those 8 more schools or should I skip out on those courses and hope to maintain a high GPA?
2 Would these schools that require animal nutrition and microbio have less applicants because of these prereqs? Would I have a better chance getting accepted to these schools, if this is the case?

Kansas State University
Ohio State University
Purdue University
Tbh idk if I’d apply to SEVENTEEN schools. That’s a LOT of money to spend. In JUST vmcas fees that’s close to 2 grand and that’s not including sending your gre or supplemental school fees or money to travel for interviews if you get any. Focus more on schools that you fit their average stats or exceed them, than just ones you meet the prereqs of.

What’s your last 45 gpa??

You should get more quality vet experience, as you have under 300 hours.

My stats:

Questions:

Kansas State University
Ohio State University
Purdue University
1. Do not take Nutrition and Microbio if you think it will hurt your GPA, unless one of the schools you listed as requiring those courses is your IS school.

2. No. Check out the accepted student stats for these schools. Most vet schools have these stats published and easily accessible on their websites. All vet schools OOS are going to be very competitive. A few extra pre-reqs will not change that.

I'm also going to second what @SkiOtter said. Applying to 17 schools (or 25 if you take the extra pre-reqs) is excessive. Do some research on which schools are taking students with GPAs similar to your own. Also look at total cost of education. vetschoolbound.org has an excellent cost of education tools that you should check out. You also definitely need more vet hours, preferably diverse experiences. Focus on that rather than picking up extra courses to apply to more vet schools.

Hey all! After receiving an offer to get my Phd in Neuroscience, I had this horrible sinking feeling that it was not what I wanted to do. Since that time, I have decided to go back to my childhood dream of becoming a vet. I am now currently finishing my last 2 pre-reqs, (both with As), but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to beef up my application. I am planning in applying May 2019, unless my advisor convinces me otherwise, school recommendations welcome.

First time applicant
LA or TN resident (in the process of switching to LA, but might stay as a TN if I decide to apply there)
Current Degrees
B.S. Chemistry
B.S. Psychology Pre-Med

GPA
Overall: 3.32 (i know this is a low point, am discussing options with my vet advisor to see if talking more classes will be worth it)
Last 45: 3.55

Animal Experience (most recent to furthest out)
Full Time Vet Technician - (2000hrs - on going)
Kennel Technician - (1000hrs)
Competitive Equestrian (1500hrs)
Stable Hand (how I paid for my equestrian lessons) (3000hrs)
Farm Work (with pigs, cattle, chickens and ducks) (4000hrs)

Not sure if this counts:
Pet sitting (cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbils) - 200hrs
Bird Ownership

Theses
Experimentally Generated Interpersonal Closeness among Heterosexual Undergraduates
The Synthesis, Classification, and Catalytic Properties of Gold Nanoparticles Au102 and Au144

Work Experience
Vet Tech
Kennel Tech
Sunday School Teacher at my Synagogue
Waitress
Research Assistant
Office Assistant

Volunteer Experience
Therapeutic Riding Program (for children on the Autism Spectrum)
Crisis Text Line Crisis Counselor
Children's Hospital

Other
An award from each of the following at departments at my university: Chemistry, Psychology and Honors Program
I was the president, and student life coordinator for the honors program
ACS member
People for Peace co-founder (a club on campus)
Leader of a few other clubs etc, etc,
I would say overall nothing is really persay limiting you as long as you apply smart. ex: schools with emphasis on last 45 or just a benchmark for GPA (MI is a great example). I don't know specifics of UT or LA. I would caution you to truly think hard about this decision and really evaluate both sides. You have a PhD offer which is amazing. What would you do with that PhD after you finished? What would you plan to do with a DVM when you finished. Assuming you have a decent PhD offer, yeah you would make pennies for a few years but you won't have the crushing debt of what a DVM would bring. You seem to have the experiences, so I encourage you to have a real conversation with your veterinary and PhD mentors. Ask yourself why DVM aside from the childhood dream?

Overall I would check into how the schools you plan to apply to evaluate gpa unless someone else can speak to them. Your experiences seem good. I don't know if your vet experience is only small animal or not, but otherwise I would expand that area as well.

Others please feel free to chime in.

If they don’t require the gre, don’t waste your money taking it when you’re not applying anywhere else this cycle. If you don’t get in this year and feel like branching out next year (which you don’t have to, you definitely can apply to only your IS each cycle you apply if it takes more than one and just keep strengthening your app between cycles bc in state tuition >>> oos tuition) you can worry about taking it then.
For Iowa State, they don’t care about cumulative gpa beyond making sure you meet the 2.75(?) minimum and then it’s just prereq and last 45 gpa. Keep your grades up this fall to boost your last 45 and if you want to, take some extra classes over the summer if you want at like a community college to help boost your gpa (totally optional, but if you’re wanting to boost your gpa and have the finances to do so, it’s an option). You won’t be able to get those two Cs out of your last 45, but two Cs isn’t going to make or break your app. If you don’t get in this year, do a file review and see what ISU recommends doing for next cycle. If they recommend retaking one or both of those Cs, do it. If they don’t recommend that, you could still retake one but there could be something else you could fix that they’d like more.
Thank you so much for your reply. I will be taking all of your advice!!

I really hope this is the right place to post this. I feel kind of out of my depth here reading all these posts. I just finished a 4 year BA in an unrelated filed, but I really want to be a vet or vet tech. Realistically, a 2 year vet tech degree is more attainable than being a vet at this point. I am 22 with very little math and science in my transcripts, but my grades are good, my work history is good, and I have lots of character references. I also have a lot of personal time invested in animal science, although nothing that will count towards a degree. I guess my question is, should I get a vet tech degree? It does not seem like clinics hire people off the street with no training, yet a lot of threads on here say the 2 years degree is a waste of time and money. I live in Wisconsin for reference, but am not opposed to moving at all. Also, say I become a vet tech, work as one for 5 to 10 years, and then decide I want to become a veterinarian, is that doable, or would I still have to start in the same place as someone applying at 18? I went to school for art to please my parents. This is something I really I want, but I do not want to bother pursuing it if I stand no chance.

I really hope this is the right place to post this. I feel kind of out of my depth here reading all these posts. I just finished a 4 year BA in an unrelated filed, but I really want to be a vet or vet tech. Realistically, a 2 year vet tech degree is more attainable than being a vet at this point. I am 22 with very little math and science in my transcripts, but my grades are good, my work history is good, and I have lots of character references. I also have a lot of personal time invested in animal science, although nothing that will count towards a degree. I guess my question is, should I get a vet tech degree? It does not seem like clinics hire people off the street with no training, yet a lot of threads on here say the 2 years degree is a waste of time and money. I live in Wisconsin for reference, but am not opposed to moving at all. Also, say I become a vet tech, work as one for 5 to 10 years, and then decide I want to become a veterinarian, is that doable, or would I still have to start in the same place as someone applying at 18? I went to school for art to please my parents. This is something I really I want, but I do not want to bother pursuing it if I stand no chance.

When people on this forum say that a tech degree is a waste of time, they mean if your planning on being a veterinarian. Some people come in with the idea that they should go to tech school before veterinary school to make themselves better candidates, which simply is not the case. If you want to be a tech, than a 2 year program and becoming certified is not a waste of time, and in many places you need to be registered to work as a tech. I think the first thing you need to decide is whether you want to be a veterinary technician or a veterinarian because those two jobs are very very different. As a first step, I would suggest contacting a clinic and asking if you can shadow both the veterinarians and the techs to get an idea of the responsibilities of both. You dont want to jump into something without really understanding what you are getting into...especially a time consuming, expensive endeavor like veterinary school.

With regard to if you can become a tech and then go to vet school, the answer is yes and I have classmates that have done this, but for the most part you would be starting over. Vet school requires completion of various science/math prerequisites (not necessarily a whole bachelors degree, but that is the path most people take) and than four years of veterinary school. A two year tech program usually won’t fulfill many, if any of said prerequisites.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
So you're not as bad off as it seems. You definitely need your prerequisites and I suggest you do your research for the schools you would like to apply to for veterinary school and see what they would like for classes. When I decided I finally wanted to be a vet I also had very little science classes. Lots of math but no one really cared about math. I went to school at night for my prerequisites while I worked full-time during the day. Then I found vet experience on the weekends. I did it all in 3 years with my last being the application year. It's not fun, but if you worked at a vet practice you could combine work and experience. It's not going to be easy, but if you want to be a vet you can. The nice thing is, all the GPA they really care about (prereq, last 45, science) you can take now, with the full knowledge that these classes are pivotal. If you ace them you'll have no trouble getting acceptances.

The key here is deciding what you want to do. Don't go to vet tech school if you want to be a vet. If you want to be a vet tech that's ok too, but you'll have to go back and do all of this later if you end up wanting to be a doctor.

I would say overall nothing is really persay limiting you as long as you apply smart. ex: schools with emphasis on last 45 or just a benchmark for GPA (MI is a great example). I don't know specifics of UT or LA. I would caution you to truly think hard about this decision and really evaluate both sides. You have a PhD offer which is amazing. What would you do with that PhD after you finished? What would you plan to do with a DVM when you finished. Assuming you have a decent PhD offer, yeah you would make pennies for a few years but you won't have the crushing debt of what a DVM would bring. You seem to have the experiences, so I encourage you to have a real conversation with your veterinary and PhD mentors. Ask yourself why DVM aside from the childhood dream?

Overall I would check into how the schools you plan to apply to evaluate gpa unless someone else can speak to them. Your experiences seem good. I don't know if your vet experience is only small animal or not, but otherwise I would expand that area as well.

Others please feel free to chime in.

Obviously the debt thing is a huge component! Everyone I've talked to was like just go to the cheapest school, ranking is not really important. So while yes the Phd program would mean no more school debt, It would be six years of very intensive studies. While I do like research, I've been drastically happier in the tech position. (It is SA experience, I'm hoping to get in once a week with the exotic animal vet in town) The only reason I really applied to Phd programs was really due to my mentors pushing me in that direction. I had been researching with faculty in the chemistry and Psychology departments, but really its not what I wanted. Research work is really important, but really not for me.

The GPA tip is great, I've been gathering some schools care more about last 45 etc than others. Thanks for the timely reply!

Obviously the debt thing is a huge component! Everyone I've talked to was like just go to the cheapest school, ranking is not really important. So while yes the Phd program would mean no more school debt, It would be six years of very intensive studies. While I do like research, I've been drastically happier in the tech position. (It is SA experience, I'm hoping to get in once a week with the exotic animal vet in town) The only reason I really applied to Phd programs was really due to my mentors pushing me in that direction. I had been researching with faculty in the chemistry and Psychology departments, but really its not what I wanted. Research work is really important, but really not for me.

The GPA tip is great, I've been gathering some schools care more about last 45 etc than others. Thanks for the timely reply!
Why apply to PhD programs if you don’t want to do them

Why apply to PhD programs if you don’t want to do them

This. PhD programs are longggg hauls. I can’t imagine taking something like that on unless you 100% love research. I *like* research, but all the time I spent around the PhD students while I was an undergrad working in a lab confidenced me without any doubt that a PhD was not for me.

My stats:

Questions:

Kansas State University
Ohio State University
Purdue University

Personally, I think 17 schools is overkill for almost everyone (even people with stats well below yours). It’s not about applying everywhere, it’s about applying smart and matching your strengths with what specific schools look for.

Yes we always encourage the cheapest school-sometimes that's not always possible with some stats but apply to your IS you never know. Rankings don't matter. Please see @SkiOtter signature. Definitely don't do PhD if you're not going to be happy that's alot of school and research. It's OK to take a gap year(S) to figure it out. Also remember to look at being a dvm for what it is. It's not the same as a tech so while you may enjoy teching as a dvm your skill set and role will be different. Is the dvm role something you could be happy with? Good luck!

Hey all,
So currently I'm sitting on a waitlist for LMU...but starting to face the fact that I may not get off and will have to reapply. The good news is that I got accepted into their Veterinary Biomedical Master's Program for this year so I'm hoping that will give me an up on my application. (LMU is my #1 choice I fell in love when I interviewed). Anyways, I wanted to give some of my stats to see what you all think.
25 yr old applicant, possible 2nd time applicant
-BS Biology
-Will be getting my MS degree in Veterinary Biomedical Sciences this year
-Overall GPA: 3.38
-Science and last 45 was probably around the same
-GRE: Q 146/ V 149/ 3.5 ; this test was honestly the death of me. I took it 4 times and only went up 1-2 points each time. I honestly thought that was gonna be my downfall (it might've been). I HATE that stupid test lol quite frankly I want to do whatever I can to avoid taking it again.

Veterinary experience: Most of my experience is limited to small animals and a little bit of exotics and I realize I probably could have diversified my experience a bit more.. unfortunately I have to work a lot to pay the bills so there wasn't much time to add anything else in this year :/ Note: All of this experience was at time of application a year ago.
-Current Job: 3,290 hours as a vet tech at a small animal emergency clinic I've been at for 4 years now. (Hours have gone up to around 5,000 now)
-220 hours as a vet assistant at a small animal GP
-360 hours as an intern at a sea turtle hospital
-8 hours at a dairy farm performing rectal exams on cows

Animal Experience: 1600 hours as a kennel tech at SA hospital
-70 or so hours at wildlife rehabs
-240 hours as a volunteer at sea turtle hospital (currently still here so hours have gone up as well)

Work experience: receptionist, and server at multiple restaurants

Research:
130 hours observing vervet monkeys (field research)
290 hours working in a sea turtle research lab (field and lab research)

Extracurriculars:
Not much besides for I was creative director for my colleges pre-vet club for a year lol

I want it to work out for LMU but I am open to other schools that may give me a chance as well if I have to reapply. If you took the time to read this, thank you!!

Hello everybody!
Anxious that VMCAS is now open. I'm finishing my B/S in biology this summer semester and getting a little nervous.

I had a couple hiccups with Physics 2 so my overall GPA is suffering from it but:
Overall GPA 3.42 (should be closer to 3.48 after this summer semester)
Last 45 GPA 3.85
Haven't calculated science GPA (not sure which classes to include in this)

Vet assistant at small animal hospital ~1500 hrs
Volunteering at birds of prey rescue ~40 hrs
Volunteering at animal shelter in high school ~50 hrs
Starting to volunteer at equine hospital next week

LOR
Undergrad professor (Microbio professor- only have known for one semester )
Undergrad professor (animal behavior & experimental biology professor- so have known for two semesters)
Undergrad professor (organic chem 2 which I only got a B in the class and have only know for one semester so I might cross this letter off)
Veterinarian (Vet who works at SA hospital I work at- have known for 3 years)
Veterinarian (Have known for 3 years- on a more personal level)

ZERO research :(

I'm sure I'll have better luck with schools that have higher consideration of last 45 hour GPA. (Florida resident)

Hello everybody!
Anxious that VMCAS is now open. I'm finishing my B/S in biology this summer semester and getting a little nervous.

I had a couple hiccups with Physics 2 so my overall GPA is suffering from it but:
Overall GPA 3.42 (should be closer to 3.48 after this summer semester)
Last 45 GPA 3.85
Haven't calculated science GPA (not sure which classes to include in this)

Vet assistant at small animal hospital ~1500 hrs
Volunteering at birds of prey rescue ~40 hrs
Volunteering at animal shelter in high school ~50 hrs
Starting to volunteer at equine hospital next week

LOR
Undergrad professor (Microbio professor- only have known for one semester )
Undergrad professor (animal behavior & experimental biology professor- so have known for two semesters)
Undergrad professor (organic chem 2 which I only got a B in the class and have only know for one semester so I might cross this letter off)
Veterinarian (Vet who works at SA hospital I work at- have known for 3 years)
Veterinarian (Have known for 3 years- on a more personal level)

ZERO research :(

I'm sure I'll have better luck with schools that have higher consideration of last 45 hour GPA. (Florida resident)
Your last 45 looks great so I definitely recommend focusing on schools who look at the last 45 instead of cumulative. Still would apply to your IS, regardless of whether they care about last 45 or cumulative more because in state tuition>>>>
Have you taken the gre?
And as for the rec letters, you said you might cross off the orgo prof because you “only got a B.” Did you ask questions and go to office hours all the time and try and get extra help to understand the material?? If so, that professor may write you a better letter than one where you did well in the class on your own and didn’t need much help and most all they know about you is who you are, that you were in their class, and you got an A. If you have good relationships with those other professors, go for it, but you want a STRONG LOR from them and not something generic like “yes, yes. fmdub did well in my sooper sciencey class and probz could do well in vet school classes you should accept them but I know nothing else about them”

Your last 45 looks great so I definitely recommend focusing on schools who look at the last 45 instead of cumulative. Still would apply to your IS, regardless of whether they care about last 45 or cumulative more because in state tuition>>>>
Have you taken the gre?
And as for the rec letters, you said you might cross off the orgo prof because you “only got a B.” Did you ask questions and go to office hours all the time and try and get extra help to understand the material?? If so, that professor may write you a better letter than one where you did well in the class on your own and didn’t need much help and most all they know about you is who you are, that you were in their class, and you got an A. If you have good relationships with those other professors, go for it, but you want a STRONG LOR from them and not something generic like “yes, yes. fmdub did well in my sooper sciencey class and probz could do well in vet school classes you should accept them but I know nothing else about them”

Any ideas of which schools in the east coast primarily focus on last 45 hours?
I have a tentative list of school I want to apply to (UF, Auburn, University of Tennessee, LMU ---- (not top choice but definitely not feeling confident that I'd get excepted into any of the previous) Western University, Midwestern University, SGU).
I haven't taken the GRE yet I'm planning to take in July so I can study as much as possible before taking it.
Thanks for advice about LOR's I'll have to sit down and consider which professors probably wrote the best letter.

I have a tentative list of school I want to apply to (UF, Auburn, University of Tennessee, LMU ---- (not top choice but definitely not feeling confident that I'd get excepted into any of the previous) Western University, Midwestern University, SGU).
I haven't taken the GRE yet I'm planning to take in July so I can study as much as possible before taking it.
Thanks for advice about LOR's I'll have to sit down and consider which professors probably wrote the best letter.
Illinois doesn’t care about gpa once you make it to interviews. I made it both years I applied (and was accepted from the waitlist the second) and didn’t have super high GPAs. Could think about adding them to your list. They make admissions decisions based on your experiences and your interview and grades are not a factor at all in decisions. (Not exactly east coast but is at least in this half of the country)
Two other Midwest schools who look at last 45 would be Kansas State and Iowa State, but they are on the more pricey side for OOS schools.
I don’t know tooooo much about the schools on the actual east coast though unfortunately, but you could contact the admissions departments if they don’t say it on their website what they look at.

Hey all,
So currently I'm sitting on a waitlist for LMU...but starting to face the fact that I may not get off and will have to reapply. The good news is that I got accepted into their Veterinary Biomedical Master's Program for this year so I'm hoping that will give me an up on my application. (LMU is my #1 choice I fell in love when I interviewed). Anyways, I wanted to give some of my stats to see what you all think.
25 yr old applicant, possible 2nd time applicant
-BS Biology
-Will be getting my MS degree in Veterinary Biomedical Sciences this year
-Overall GPA: 3.38
-Science and last 45 was probably around the same
-GRE: Q 146/ V 149/ 3.5 ; this test was honestly the death of me. I took it 4 times and only went up 1-2 points each time. I honestly thought that was gonna be my downfall (it might've been). I HATE that stupid test lol quite frankly I want to do whatever I can to avoid taking it again.

Veterinary experience: Most of my experience is limited to small animals and a little bit of exotics and I realize I probably could have diversified my experience a bit more.. unfortunately I have to work a lot to pay the bills so there wasn't much time to add anything else in this year :/ Note: All of this experience was at time of application a year ago.
-Current Job: 3,290 hours as a vet tech at a small animal emergency clinic I've been at for 4 years now. (Hours have gone up to around 5,000 now)
-220 hours as a vet assistant at a small animal GP
-360 hours as an intern at a sea turtle hospital
-8 hours at a dairy farm performing rectal exams on cows

Animal Experience: 1600 hours as a kennel tech at SA hospital
-70 or so hours at wildlife rehabs
-240 hours as a volunteer at sea turtle hospital (currently still here so hours have gone up as well)

Work experience: receptionist, and server at multiple restaurants

Research:
130 hours observing vervet monkeys (field research)
290 hours working in a sea turtle research lab (field and lab research)

Extracurriculars:
Not much besides for I was creative director for my colleges pre-vet club for a year lol

I want it to work out for LMU but I am open to other schools that may give me a chance as well if I have to reapply. If you took the time to read this, thank you!!

Your GPA is pretty set if you're finished with school and the Masters can probably help there, but the biggest thing I see is that I am missing who you are outside vet med. What outside life experiences have you had that would make you a more interesting candidate? This is what can push you over that edge that you might be stuck on currently with lower GPA and mostly SA experience to stand out from everyone else. :)

LSU, Minnesota and Iowa State are also focused on last 45 hour / required courses GPA. LSU will also include any science or animal science class you made an A in into your required courses GPA so that helped me a lot.

Your GPA is pretty set if you're finished with school and the Masters can probably help there, but the biggest thing I see is that I am missing who you are outside vet med. What outside life experiences have you had that would make you a more interesting candidate? This is what can push you over that edge that you might be stuck on currently with lower GPA and mostly SA experience to stand out from everyone else. :)
Too funny. Checking my news feed, this rolled across: Grit vs. grades: Veterinary schools face potential flaws in admissions system

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.