This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 year old, Female, IS Wisconsin
I just decided I wanted to be a veterinarian after finishing my sophomore year of undergrad and have been working super hard this last year to get tons of experience in and keep my grades up. I want to go into veterinary science and research which I feel is reflected really well on my essay responses. I will be applying to at least: Wisconsin, Missouri, Tufts, UC Davis

Major: Biology & Chemistry, Minor: GIS and Environmental Studies
Overall GPA: 3.50 (current)
Science and Last 45: 3.72
I have not taken the GRE yet but my average on practice exams are 160/160 so I am hoping for somewhere around there

Veterinary Experience:
~300 hrs Small Animal Practice with Feline Rescue component
25 hrs with Laboratory Vets at a Medical Teaching Hospital
80 hrs International Conservation Organization
~15 hrs Large Animal

Animal Experience:
300+ hrs volunteering with my local Humane Association
I wrote a grant with my DVM mentor to start a Trap and Sterilize program for some local cat colonies which has been fully funded and will begin this coming year, not really sure how to highlight that on my application (Where to include scientific funding in general on the VMCA? Achievements or just list under Research experience like publications?)
~100+ hrs pet sitting, including for many friends on campus since my school allows pets :)
480 hrs Falcon Husbandry and Bird Banding
50 hrs Grey Wolf Howl Surveys (not sure if this is animal experience or research?)
15 hrs Volunteering at Elephant Sanctuary in Thailand

Work experience:
Barista (3 months, summer job)
Sea Kayak Guide (3 months, summer job)

Research:
3000+ hrs Raptor research in physiology, behavior, breeding habitat (multiple presentations and science posters and over $5,000 in grant funding)
500 hrs native plant research for my local Native American reservation Natural Resource Department examining the effects of Swan herbivory on seed production
800 hrs wildlife monitoring in the Kalahari Desert for my study abroad program, presented research to Botswana Government
100 hrs quality assurance for the Wisconsin Bird Breeding Atlas
80 hrs trapping and surveying for radio collared Snowshoe Hare (not sure if animal experience or research)

Extracurriculars from college:
Volunteer with local elderly outreach (raking,shoveling) ~40 hrs
Peacemaker Training counselor ~200 hrs
Active member and now Secretary of Student Council (many many hours over my undergrad career)
Orchestra memer (first 2 years)
Wildlife Society Student Chapter member (4 years)
Tutor for underprivileged Elementary Students after school ~85 hrs
Environmental Council member (4 years)
Assist with transfer of pets about to be euthanized from shelters to the shelter I work for using Pilots for Paws chartered flights ~10 hrs
GIS tutor
Write science in the news column for school paper

I guess that's all for now!! My main concerns is being able to communicate my plans to become a Veterinary Scientist and just hoping that my LORs are as good as I think/hope they will be! Really just interested in what others think my chances are like considering this will be my first application cycle and what schools I would be best suited for?
I agree with above about shadowing more veterinarians and doing research into what your schools want/what their dual-degree programs are like. Your application is very heavily weighted towards research, which is great for getting into a research program, but having more veterinary experience will help convince admission committees that you know what you're getting into with veterinary medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently working through VMCAS and I'm not quite sure if I should include some of the random volunteer days I've done

So my experience that I'm definitely including:
50 hrs at an animal shelter in high school
+1500 hrs working at a SA hospital
40 hrs with raptor rehab center
-Currently setting up volunteering at equine hospital; expect to have ~30 hrs before submitting application

The little experiences I'm not sure if I should include in VMCAS would be:
8 hrs volunteering at a restaurant on Thanksgiving (completely irrelevant to my app)
5 hrs shadowing a Veterinarian
5 hrs at a mini horse farm
4 hrs volunteering at a Paws for Cause Cancer race (5k)
3 hrs volunteering at Fall science fair

I'm currently working through VMCAS and I'm not quite sure if I should include some of the random volunteer days I've done

-Currently setting up volunteering at equine hospital; expect to have ~30 hrs before submitting application

8 hrs volunteering at a restaurant on Thanksgiving (completely irrelevant to my app)
I’d include them all tbh. Especially the veterinary and animal related ones, but the other ones show you as a person outside of vet med

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also want to calculate my science GPA but unsure which math and science classes are included in this

Here are my maths:
College Algebra, Pre Calc Alg Trig, Calculus & Analytical Geom I, Statistics I

Here is the science classes I feel would be included but unsure:
Bio 1 & 2
Chem 1 & 2
Organic chem 1 & 2
Genetics
Biochemistry
Cell biology
Ecology
Immunology
Medical Mycology
Organic evolution?
Experimental Biology Lab
Animal Behavior?
Environmental Issues?
Disease Ecology?
Physics 1 & 2

I’d include them all tbh. Especially the veterinary and animal related ones, but the other ones show you as a person outside of vet med

Okay, thank you. I know that VMCAS asks for dates, supervisor, and contact information for all experience so it might be difficult to get a hold of that info for a few but I'll definitely include it in if it could benefit my app in the slightest way.

Okay, thank you. I know that VMCAS asks for dates, supervisor, and contact information for all experience so it might be difficult to get a hold of that info for a few but I'll definitely include it in if it could benefit my app in the slightest way.
Estimate the dates and just put as much info as you can down

I personally wouldn't include the ones I underlined, particularly if you have more volunteer experience. I think a couple hours here and there of volunteering doesn't really show anything and could just fluff your app where they may have more difficulty locating your more important experiences. This is just my opinion however. I'm sure there were a bunch of little volunteering things I didn't put on my app. I only put them if I had a larger time commitment.

Also want to calculate my science GPA but unsure which math and science classes are included in this

Here are my maths:
College Algebra, Pre Calc Alg Trig, Calculus & Analytical Geom I, Statistics I

Here is the science classes I feel would be included but unsure:
Bio 1 & 2
Chem 1 & 2
Organic chem 1 & 2
Genetics
Biochemistry
Cell biology
Ecology
Immunology
Medical Mycology
Organic evolution?
Experimental Biology Lab
Animal Behavior?
Environmental Issues?
Disease Ecology?
Physics 1 & 2

VMCAS will calculate the science GPA for you after you have turned the app in. Schools may calculate it differently depending on what they do or do not include. I calculated my science GPA to be lower than VMCAS as they included classes in there that I didn't. It seems they calculate your science GPA predominantly based on how the class is categorized. You can use your grades from these classes to calculate it, but it may not be exactly the same as how they do it.

Yes include everything if I were you! WSU even told me that if I donate clothes once a year put that down as well. I say it's better to include it and be safe than sorry because hypothetically if comes down to you and another applicant and the only difference is you gave up your thanksgiving it could be the difference of you getting the spot Vs someone else. If you're super concerned you can always reach out to your specific schools.

Please let me know what my chances are, what schools are good options to apply to? Am I aiming too high for the schools which I want to apply to? Is it worth it to get a Masters before applying to vet school or will that not be considered in GPA?

I am a female, resident of Texas, interested in applying to CSU, Texas A&M, UCDavis. Those all seem like my ideal places to be but I haven't ruled out other places, I just like the sound of attending those. I am going into my junior year of my undergrad studying Animal Science with a minor in Communication. I've finally gotten the hang of college and I think with some work, I can get my GPA up these next few semesters. I am extremely passionate about veterinary medicine and I am not in it for the money. I want to do low-cost veterinary medicine and genuinely help animals.

Overall GPA: 3.328
Science GPA: Not sure but probably around a 3.1
Prerequisite GPA for T.A&M: 3.41

Veterinary Experience:
-I have worked as a receptionist for a veterinarian at a low-cost mobile pet vaccination clinic since my sophomore year of high school ~1200 hrs
-I started to work as a veterinary technician for the low-cost mobile clinic in January and have about 200 hours so far. The job is pet vaccinations, heartworm tests, microchipping, giving flea/HW/tick medications as a mobile pet clinic.
-I started working full time as a veterinary technician for "home" clinic of the low-cost clinic this summer and plan on spending about 500 hours (40+/- hours week x 12 weeks) and the job is everything a vet tech does. Anesthesia, dentals, cleaning kennels, assisting the vet during surgeries, filling prescriptions, speaking with clients about their animals needs, drawing blood, running blood panels, etc.

Animal Experience:
-I raised cattle and pigs during my years in FFA ~2000 hours
-I have assisted with necropsies of sheep ~40 hours
-I take care of chickens at my university's farms biweekly ~40 hours so far
-I work as a horse caretaker at a local boarding farm ~140 hours so far
-I am interning at the zoo this summer with lions and tigers ~200 hours will be completed at the end of the summer
-I am interning at a wildlife rehab center this summer ~100 hours will be completed at the end of the summer

Work experience:
-I am a shift leader for the low-cost mobile pet clinic (paid)
-I worked as an intern in a microbiology lab during the summer and winter of 2017 ~800 hours (paid)
-Zoo internship this summer (unpaid)
-Wildlife internship this summer (unpaid)

Research experience:
-I helped a Professor in Physiology of Reproduction in his laboratory setting up samples this last year and plan to continue with this ~400 hours
-I help an AP in Poultry Science with his lab work by taking care of the flock, and will be in his lab next semester too ~40 hours (above)
-I am getting into a lab in the vet school, helping a Professor in Physiology of Cardiovascular Systems

Extracurricular:
-I am in a sorority, I am a puppy sitter for a local service dog club, and I was in a freshman leadership organization.

I feel so discouraged after reading everyone else's credentials. Please let me know your honest opinions, what you think im lacking in, and what I should focus on. I eat think breathe sleep want veterinary medicine and I dont know how else to convey that, this is my passion.

Thank you

Please let me know what my chances are, what schools are good options to apply to? Am I aiming too high for the schools which I want to apply to? Is it worth it to get a Masters before applying to vet school or will that not be considered in GPA?

I am a female, resident of Texas, interested in applying to CSU, Texas A&M, UCDavis. Those all seem like my ideal places to be but I haven't ruled out other places, I just like the sound of attending those. I am going into my junior year of my undergrad studying Animal Science with a minor in Communication. I've finally gotten the hang of college and I think with some work, I can get my GPA up these next few semesters. I am extremely passionate about veterinary medicine and I am not in it for the money. I want to do low-cost veterinary medicine and genuinely help animals.

Veterinary Experience:
-I have worked as a receptionist for a veterinarian at a low-cost mobile pet vaccination clinic since my sophomore year of high school ~1200 hrs
-I started to work as a veterinary technician for the low-cost mobile clinic in January and have about 200 hours so far. The job is pet vaccinations, heartworm tests, microchipping, giving flea/HW/tick medications as a mobile pet clinic.
-I started working full time as a veterinary technician for "home" clinic of the low-cost clinic this summer and plan on spending about 500 hours (40+/- hours week x 12 weeks) and the job is everything a vet tech does. Anesthesia, dentals, cleaning kennels, assisting the vet during surgeries, filling prescriptions, speaking with clients about their animals needs, drawing blood, running blood panels, etc.

Animal Experience:
-I am interning at the zoo this summer with lions and tigers ~200 hours will be completed at the end of the summer
-I am interning at a wildlife rehab center this summer ~100 hours will be completed at the end of the summer

Work experience:
-I worked as an intern in a microbiology lab during the summer and winter of 2017 ~800 hours (paid)

Research experience:
-I helped a Professor in Physiology of Reproduction in his laboratory setting up samples this last year and plan to continue with this ~400 hours
-I help an AP in Poultry Science with his lab work by taking care of the flock, and will be in his lab next semester too ~40 hours (above)
-I am getting into a lab in the vet school, helping a Professor in Physiology of Cardiovascular Systems

Extracurricular:
-I am in a sorority, I am a puppy sitter for a local service dog club, and I was in a freshman leadership organization.

I feel so discouraged after reading everyone else's credentials. Please let me know your honest opinions, what you think im lacking in, and what I should focus on. I eat think breathe sleep want veterinary medicine and I dont know how else to convey that, this is my passion.

Thank you
Just want you to be aware that CSU sand UC Davis reeeeeeeeally care about academics. UC Davis to get an interview you have to have a really high last 45, high science gpa, and high quant gre.
I’d recommend looking at the class statistics for all of the schools you have the prereqs for and seeing where your stats fit best. CSU is also an extremely expensive OOS school.
Some schools (Illinois, Michigan State) only care so much about gpa and it’s not included in admissions decisions. MSU you need a minimum of a 3.0 in last 36 and science to get the rest of your app looked at and then they score you on their weird scale to determine who gets an interview, but gpa is no longer a factor. Illinois, once you make it to interviews gpa is no longer a factor.

Reactions: 3 users
First, you need to work on your weaknesses. I can't give you advice on your future plans. It's personal.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes to all. Don't think any of that would hurt.

:troll: Is what it means

They’re the one from the relationships thread telling people not to be in a relationship while studying

Seriously people do this?? Point of school is to better your life not be your whole life...crazy robots:vomit:

Hello everyone, I am posting for the first time because I am filling out my application and would love some advice about what schools I might have the best chances at. Here's my info:
20, Female, CT Resident (OOS everywhere and no contract seats), currently attend UConn majoring in Animal Science

GPA: 4.0
GRE: 164V and 168Q, haven’t gotten writing back yet

Veterinary: 1,200 hours as a veterinary assistant at an emergency clinic (mostly SA, some exotics)

Research: 300 hours in a genetics lab working with induced pluripotent stem cell
200 hours (and counting) in an infectious disease lab doing mastitis research to write an honors thesis

Animal: 600 hours UConn horsebarn employee
50 hours equine health independent study (ultrasounds, fecal flotations, body condition scoring)
100 hours nature center volunteer as a raptor feeder
30 hours training a pig for a livestock show
5,000+ hours horseback riding; currently play polo at UConn
30 hours handling lab rats (4 hours in minor surgery that I performed)

Other: Chemistry tutor for the university, in the honors program, volunteering with prevet club, and volunteering with two honors clubs working with prospective and freshmen students

LoR: Vet that I worked with the most at the emergency clinic
Advisor who is head of animal science department
Professor (genetics and nutrition)
PI for mastitis research; has a DVM from Argentina
Microbiologist that I am working with for my thesis

Schools I am currently looking at: Tufts, Cornell, NC, Ohio, Illinois, Georgia, Purdue, Florida, UPenn, and RVC

Concerns: I’m worried about my experience not being varied or extensive enough. Not working was not an option for me financially, which is why all of my experience comes from one clinic that was willing to hire me. I was hoping for any recommendations on schools that will favor the GPA portion of the application.
Thank you!

Hello everyone, I am posting for the first time because I am filling out my application and would love some advice about what schools I might have the best chances at. Here's my info:
20, Female, CT Resident (OOS everywhere and no contract seats), currently attend UConn majoring in Animal Science

Veterinary: 1,200 hours as a veterinary assistant at an emergency clinic (mostly SA, some exotics)

Research: 300 hours in a genetics lab working with induced pluripotent stem cell
200 hours (and counting) in an infectious disease lab doing mastitis research to write an honors thesis

50 hours equine health independent study (ultrasounds, fecal flotations, body condition scoring)

Other: Chemistry tutor for the university, in the honors program, volunteering with prevet club, and volunteering with two honors clubs working with prospective and freshmen students

Schools I am currently looking at: Tufts, Cornell, NC, Ohio, Illinois, Georgia, Purdue, Florida, UPenn, and RVC

Concerns: I’m worried about my experience not being varied or extensive enough. Not working was not an option for me financially, which is why all of my experience comes from one clinic that was willing to hire me. I was hoping for any recommendations on schools that will favor the GPA portion of the application.
Thank you!

As much as variety is important in showing you have experienced the different fields vet med has to offer, the non varied also does not necessarily count against you depending on your goals for your career. Such as if you emphasize that you intend on pursuing equine medicine or food animal or something, but have nothing to show you actually understand that side, well. Yup. But if you have intention to do something more small animal, well, it makes sense. And really, if you have a strong overall application and even mention that you understand your limited knowledge but have every intention of keeping an open mind during school, that is also completely reasonable. Adcoms are looking for a well rounded person. Prove that, and you've done all you can. :)

Thank you!
If I recall correctly, CT has contract seats with Iowa? Might want to look into it. Everything looks great, you can go wherever you want as long as you nail those essays and interviews. Also doesn't look like you're looking at West coast too much but I'd be a fool if I didn't say come to Davis. They offer IS tuition after the first year same as NC. You would 100% get an interview there as long as your LOR aren't bad. My advice is pick some cheap schools you want to go to, apply there and go to the cheapest you get into. Best of luck!

If I recall correctly, CT has contract seats with Iowa? Might want to look into it. Everything looks great, you can go wherever you want as long as you nail those essays and interviews. Also doesn't look like you're looking at West coast too much but I'd be a fool if I didn't say come to Davis. They offer IS tuition after the first year same as NC. You would 100% get an interview there as long as your LOR aren't bad. My advice is pick some cheap schools you want to go to, apply there and go to the cheapest you get into. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice! I was looking into Davis but unfortunately they do not accept my biochemistry. I should probably also add that Connecticut no longer has contract seats with Iowa in case anyone else was wondering.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Work experience:

Research experience:

Extracurricular:

Thank you

You need to go through your categorizations of experiences and move some of them around. Also, you can't count the same position in multiple categories, at least for TAMU (i.e. for the shift leader for the vaccine clinic- I am assuming that is the same as reception or tech - so include that under veterinary experience and put that you are a shift leader in your description of that position). Also unpaid internships are not work experience- those are animal experience or veterinary experience if you were working under a vet.

You have a good variety of animal experience and strong research experience. You have a good amount of hours as a receptionist but I would definitely recommend continuing to increase your hours of teching/assisting. Receptionists are super important obviously, but I would think vet schools would prefer you have more hours directly involved with or observing treatments/procedures.

As far as academics go, take a look at the admissions statistics for TAMU. Admissions Statistics - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

I don't want to sound harsh, but the average accepted GPA is a 3.68, so you may need to take a couple years to improve your application and increase experience to balance out the GPA, or possibly consider doing a Masters if your GPA stays around a 3.3-3.4

BUT you still have 2 years left of undergrad so there is lots of room for improvement. Try as hard as you can to get a 4.0 for your next few semesters and you could get a lot closer to those stats I posted. The school will also like to see that you had an upward trend in your GPA. Don't let extracurriculars/shadowing/working/etc get in the way of your grades because those are weighted more heavily than experience. You can always get more experience later but it is very difficult to significantly increase GPA.

I will echo SkiOtter on CSU and UC Davis. You need to have a 3.8 at minimum to get an interview there. Those are extremely competitive schools for non-residents. You should focus on applying to your in-state and schools that focus more on last 45 credit GPA (assuming you get a great GPA for the last 2 years).

As far as your desire to provide low-cost services to pets- that is definitely admirable and I'm glad you have found a passion within vet med. I would encourage you to investigate the realities of working in this kind of setting as a vet- salary, lifestyle, etc. Would you be able to sustain yourself/pay off loans in this setting? It is definitely possible, I would just recommend you be aware of the pros/cons of working in low-cost settings and how providing low-cost services are not always possible due to operating costs, etc of vet clinics. If for nothing else, this will come in handy during interviews and you will be well-versed and ready to answer any questions about your goals.

I hope this answer helps you. My 2nd semester freshman year and 1st semester sophomore year were not especially strong for me academically, but I worked really hard for the rest of my undergrad, having several 4.0 semesters after that. I was able to get into TAMU in-state my first try. It is possible for you and I definitely don't want to discourage you at all. You still have lots of time to get up your GPA, but I definitely think you should make that your top priority for the rest of undergrad.

Will vet schools hold it against me that I have a few gaps in my school years? I'm about to graduate with my bachelor's, which should have taken me four years, however life had other plans and it had taken me six years. I'm sure it would be against my favor if I did nothing during the times I wasn't in school, but I worked while working on my health issues (had numerous undiagnosed health problems, and a surgery at one point).

Will vet schools hold it against me that I have a few gaps in my school years? I'm about to graduate with my bachelor's, which should have taken me four years, however life had other plans and it had taken me six years. I'm sure it would be against my favor if I did nothing during the times I wasn't in school, but I worked while working on my health issues (had numerous undiagnosed health problems, and a surgery at one point).
I don’t think it’s looked poorly upon, but if you had health reasons it doesn’t hurt to mention that in your explanation statement.

Long time lurker, first time poster! I’ve been following this discussion for YEARS, just trying to see what schools look for in applicants and what I can improve upon. Since it is finally time for me to apply, I thought I would do this myself and see where I personally stand, and where I can improve. I’m also wondering if I should be looking at other schools given my statistics, and if so, where and why.

I am a first time applicant, female, 21 years old, senior in college (I really don’t want to take any time off in between). I am interested in pursuing zoo med/wildlife med, as I am extremely passionate about the conservation efforts that go on in wildlife reserves/zoos alike. Ideally, I would travel for a while working on a global scale at different wildlife reserves before settling down to live out the rest of my career as a zoo veterinarian.

Applying to: UC Davis (my in-state), UPenn, Cornell, Oregon State, Tufts, Washington State

Cum GPA: 3.518

Science GPA: 3.776

Last 45: 3.72

Last GRE Scores: 155 VR, 157 QR (planning on re-taking)

Veterinary Experience:

1500+ hours of small animal experience as a veterinary technician

Animal Experience:

Currently working as a hydrotherapy technician doing PT and rehabilitation on old, overweight, or post sx animals. I have about 50 hours now but its my summer job, so by the time the app is done, I should have more here

150+ hours of volunteering in a zoo as an educator and animal caretaker

350+ hours of volunteering for a wildlife conservation center and a sea turtle conservation center in Costa Rica

100+ hours of volunteering as a ranch hand at an equine boarding facility

100+ hours of volunteering at various animal shelters, either preparing enrichment/playing with the animals (Animal Rescue Foundation), or helping to administer free veterinary care to the pets of homeless/disadvantaged individuals (Portland Animal Welfare Society).

Extra:

1. Participated in the UC Davis SEP program, a 5-week summer program for disadvantaged pre-veterinary students that involves rotations in the veterinary hospital, GRE prep, mock interviews, research presentation, and panel/discussion opportunities for both current UC Davis veterinary students and admissions members.

2. Participated in the UPenn Summer VETS program, a 10-day program for pre-veterinary students that involves rotations in the veterinary hospital as well as opportunities to meet with admission staff and current veterinary students.

3. Pre-health club member and volunteer at my school.

4. (High School) Active member of Latinos Unidos, a club meant to raise awareness of Latino presence at my school. We ran assemblies, attended weekly meetings, and hosted fundraising events.

5. (High School) Active member and co-founder of Fundz for Fun, a club that held weekly fundraisers where the profits were then funneled back into the school which would use the money to organize fun events such as dances, theme days, free food, etc.

Concerns:

I feel like my low GPA, my lack of diverse veterinary experience, and my lack of extracurricular activities are all areas that can be improved upon, especially given the schools that I am applying to. I had a really hard sophomore year and my GPA tanked, but I have been working on getting it up recently and have been on deans list the past semester :)

Long time lurker, first time poster! I’ve been following this discussion for YEARS, just trying to see what schools look for in applicants and what I can improve upon. Since it is finally time for me to apply, I thought I would do this myself and see where I personally stand, and where I can improve. I’m also wondering if I should be looking at other schools given my statistics, and if so, where and why.

I am a first time applicant, female, 21 years old, senior in college (I really don’t want to take any time off in between). I am interested in pursuing zoo med/wildlife med, as I am extremely passionate about the conservation efforts that go on in wildlife reserves/zoos alike. Ideally, I would travel for a while working on a global scale at different wildlife reserves before settling down to live out the rest of my career as a zoo veterinarian.

Applying to: UC Davis (my in-state), UPenn, Cornell, Oregon State, Tufts, Washington State

Cum GPA: 3.518

Science GPA: 3.776

Last 45: 3.72

Last GRE Scores: 155 VR, 157 QR (planning on re-taking)

Veterinary Experience:

1500+ hours of small animal experience as a veterinary technician

Animal Experience:

Currently working as a hydrotherapy technician doing PT and rehabilitation on old, overweight, or post sx animals. I have about 50 hours now but its my summer job, so by the time the app is done, I should have more here

150+ hours of volunteering in a zoo as an educator and animal caretaker

350+ hours of volunteering for a wildlife conservation center and a sea turtle conservation center in Costa Rica

100+ hours of volunteering as a ranch hand at an equine boarding facility

100+ hours of volunteering at various animal shelters, either preparing enrichment/playing with the animals (Animal Rescue Foundation), or helping to administer free veterinary care to the pets of homeless/disadvantaged individuals (Portland Animal Welfare Society).

Extra:

1. Participated in the UC Davis SEP program, a 5-week summer program for disadvantaged pre-veterinary students that involves rotations in the veterinary hospital, GRE prep, mock interviews, research presentation, and panel/discussion opportunities for both current UC Davis veterinary students and admissions members.

2. Participated in the UPenn Summer VETS program, a 10-day program for pre-veterinary students that involves rotations in the veterinary hospital as well as opportunities to meet with admission staff and current veterinary students.

3. Pre-health club member and volunteer at my school.

4. (High School) Active member of Latinos Unidos, a club meant to raise awareness of Latino presence at my school. We ran assemblies, attended weekly meetings, and hosted fundraising events.

5. (High School) Active member and co-founder of Fundz for Fun, a club that held weekly fundraisers where the profits were then funneled back into the school which would use the money to organize fun events such as dances, theme days, free food, etc.

Concerns:

I feel like my low GPA, my lack of diverse veterinary experience, and my lack of extracurricular activities are all areas that can be improved upon, especially given the schools that I am applying to.
Your GPA is decent enough for an interview I think, and all that matters is rocking that interview! But if you can bump up that Quant score you'd be in a real good place. Hope to see you at Davis for interviews!

Your best bet is to get that GPA up. I barely got into one school off the waitlist with a 3.45 GPA, which was the main concern for my file reviews. What's that animal rights club? As important as animal rights is, many animal rights organizations have a bad reputation for a variety of reasons. If it's associated with something like PETA then it might not be the best thing to put on your application or be involved with in general. That's just my opinion as someone who knows nothing about that specific club though.

Hey completely random but my overall GPA is pretty similar to yours but my last 48 hours will be 3.8ish. What schools did you apply to?

Hey completely random but my overall GPA is pretty similar to yours but my last 48 hours will be 3.8ish. What schools did you apply to?
Look for ones that like a higher last 45 over cumulative or ones that don’t factor gpa into decisions, either once you get to a file review or once you get an interview

Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Ohio, and Missouri. I got denied everywhere and waitlisted/accepted at Oregon. All of my file reviews said I was right at the cutoff essentially, where they were happy with my GPA but if it was higher, that would have helped.

Hello everyone!

First time posting on here, I am applying for the 1st time this cycle. I am a non-traditional applicant and took almost a 2 year gap and started back to school last spring. My concerns are my low GPA :( I did not do well with adjusting to college life after high school and it definitely showed while obtaining my Associate's Degree.
24 yr old applicant, Florida resident
- "Non-Degree" Seeking

Overall GPA: 3.04 (current), this has increased from a 2.77 from Spring 2017
Science and Last 45: ~3.3-3.4
GRE: Q 145/ V 145/ W 4.0 - I do plan on retaking it next month!

Veterinary experience:
All of my current experience is small animal GP, however I do plan on shadowing an equine vet and looking for food animal shadowing opportunities. I have been full-time for over 4 years.
Practice Manager - 2 years
Veterinary Assistant - 2 years
Total calculated - ~9,500

Animal Experience:
Customer Service/Bather at Dog Grooming facility - 4 years
Peggy Adam's Feline Rescue - 7 hrs
Pet Sitting - ~200 hrs

Work experience:
Bartender - 6 months
Barista at Cafe - 4 years

Research:
none

Extracurriculars:
Soccer team throughout high school - 4 years
Travel soccer league - 2 years
Volunteer at nursing home - 20 hrs
Volunteer at local church during Thanksgiving - 4 years or ~20 hrs
Volunteer as camp counselor at Christian summer camp - ~250 hrs

I obviously have concerns with my low GPA, however I am taking 12 credits this summer and this should boost my GPA closer to a 3.12 by the time applications are due. Can any one with a similar situation or just anyone provide some advice or input on how my chances are looking for this application cycle?

I plan to apply to:
University of Florida
Midwestern
Michigan Sate
Minnesota
LMU
Colorado State

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
Like you mentioned, the main concern here is the GPA, but it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to improve upon that. If I remember correctly, most places may only require a 3.0 (some even lower), but if you look at the admission statistics you'll find that competitive GPAs are closer to 3.5. What you're doing now is probably the best way to improve upon your academic record and I would make sure to mention why your grades dipped so low in the essays (VMCAS has a section specifically for that). If you manage to get the interview, also expect them to ask about it.
Past that, your experience looks really solid! The only problem, as you mentioned, is that it's focused on small animal while many schools want to see more varied experience. Shadowing the equine vet should be a great help, but just keep that in mind as I believe that they tend to ask you questions about areas that you don't have a lot of experience in (large animal and livestock in your case). However, you should still be fine as long as you remember this and acknowledge it.
Best of luck!

Look for ones that like a higher last 45 over cumulative or ones that don’t factor gpa into decisions, either once you get to a file review or once you get an interview
I agree! I'm just having a hard time figuring out which schools weigh last 45 over cumulative. I'm having such a hard time narrowing down the schools I'm applying to :bang:

Last edited:
I agree! I'm just having a hard time figuring out which schools weigh last 45 over cumulative. I'm having such a hard time narrowing down the schools I'm applying to :bang:
i know kansas state is one. most schools will tell you on their website how they evaluate candidates, or if they dont, most will tell you if you call or email.
michigan state doesn't care about gpa as long as your last 36 and prereq gpa are over a 3.0. illinois doesn't care about gpa after they decide who gets an interview.

Wsu also weighs last 45 over cumulative

Hello everyone! I hope I am in the right spot to do this. I am applying for the first time this summer so I thought I would give this posting thing a go!

Any feedback you are willing to give helps!

GPA: 3.69
Last 45: 3.83
GRE: 162V : 157Q

Vet Experience:
~260 hours at a small animal clinic
~360 hours at a Small Animal Emergency clinic (by the end of the summer)
~100 hours with an Internal Medicine Specialist (by the end of the summer)
~10 hours with Surgeons (hard to predict, but there will be more by the end of the summer)
~30 hours equine

Animal Experience:
~250 hours of Kenneling facility (not supervised by veterinarian)
~1000 hours of helping raise and train service animals
~150 hours of volunteering at a small zoo
~200 hours of working with lab animals
~300 hours working as a TA a dissection lab
~50 hours of junior wildlife rehabilitation (in junior high and high school)

Research:
River biodiversity study: 500+
I am writing a thesis based upon this research.

Other:
Volunteer at a no-cost (human) medical clinic
Tutoring Organic Chemistry, Statistics, and Lower level biology courses
Student athlete (for first two years of undergrad and all of high school)
Meals on Wheels Holiday Delivery Driver (every Thanksgiving and Christmas since before I can remember)
Receptionist at a hair salon
Sports Official
Leadership position on science service club on campus

I am also looking into shadowing with some other specialties, including cardiology and oncology, and plan on adding to these experiences throughout the rest of summer and into the school year.

There are some other odds and ends that I haven't included here which will no doubt appear on my application, but this is basically it. I am planning on applying to Ohio State, Minnesota, Missouri, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland, and Wisconsin. Let me know if you see any obvious red flags or anything that I should consider working to eliminate before applying, or if you have any opinion about where you think I stand.

Thank you all in advance!

Hello everyone! I hope I am in the right spot to do this. I am applying for the first time this summer so I thought I would give this posting thing a go!

Vet Experience:
~10 hours with Surgeons (hard to predict, but there will be more by the end of the summer)
~30 hours equine

Animal Experience:

Research:

Other:
Meals on Wheels Holiday Delivery Driver (every Thanksgiving and Christmas since before I can remember)
Sports Official

I am also looking into shadowing with some other specialties, including cardiology and oncology, and plan on adding to these experiences throughout the rest of summer and into the school year.

There are some other odds and ends that I haven't included here which will no doubt appear on my application, but this is basically it. I am planning on applying to Ohio State, Minnesota, Missouri, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland, and Wisconsin. Let me know if you see any obvious red flags or anything that I should consider working to eliminate before applying, or if you have any opinion about where you think I stand.

I don't see any major red flags! Your stats and experiences seem great and are competitive. Just make sure to articulate well in your essays as well as having good lors. If you can try finding some food animal experiences and perhaps gain more equine experiences that would be good. I think as far as vet experiences I would focus on getting more experience in particular fields over specialties. Ex: equine, food animal, exotics vs. cardio, surgery, radiology-others feel free to chime in your thoughts on that. I really like the diversity of your experiences though so either way great job! Remember anything you do into the school year won't go on your application after the deadline and your interviews may or may not ask about what you've done since applying but it is a good thing to keep diversifying your experiences even after application submission! Which experience is your vet lor coming from-I'm a bit concerned your hours are thinly spread does one vet know you well enough to write you a good lor? If not you might consider spending additional time with desired lor writer over diversification. I would urge you to apply to WA as well as NC if you meet all their prereqs. They both allow IS after year 1 as they are both cheaper than all the ones listed as an OSS student (WSU Pullman campus only NOT Logan). Of course most likely your IS is your cheapest option.

What state are you a resident of??

I don't see any major red flags! Your stats and experiences seem great and are competitive. Just make sure to articulate well in your essays as well as having good lors. If you can try finding some food animal experiences and perhaps gain more equine experiences that would be good. I think as far as vet experiences I would focus on getting more experience in particular fields over specialties. Ex: equine, food animal, exotics vs. cardio, surgery, radiology-others feel free to chime in your thoughts on that. I really like the diversity of your experiences though so either way great job! Remember anything you do into the school year won't go on your application after the deadline and your interviews may or may not ask about what you've done since applying but it is a good thing to keep diversifying your experiences even after application submission! Which experience is your vet lor coming from-I'm a bit concerned your hours are thinly spread does one vet know you well enough to write you a good lor? If not you might consider spending additional time with desired lor writer over diversification. I would urge you to apply to WA as well as NC if you meet all their prereqs. They both allow IS after year 1 as they are both cheaper than all the ones listed as an OSS student (WSU Pullman campus only NOT Logan). Of course most likely your IS is your cheapest option.

I have been shadowing with the vet who is writing it several times a week for two summers, and during winter breaks as well. I feel that even though I don't have a large amount of hours working with her specifically, that since we have now known each other for several years, she knows me well enough to feel confident in supporting me by writing a letter. I have contacted her about her comfort level in writing a letter, and she didn't seem concerned. I know that making excuses does not change things, but during the school year I shadow at one clinic, when I shadow at another for summers and winters. This kind of splits up my hours a bit unevenly unfortunately. That is definitely a good point though, and spending more time working with the veterinarian writing for me is a good idea. I also believe that I have a strong letter coming from one of my college professors, who is also my boss in several areas, and my research mentor. My last letter comes from a professor who's class I truly enjoyed (and did well in), who has been witness to my work as a volunteer service dog trainer, and who I have gone to for advice in personal statement writing. Hopefully everything comes together!

Cheaper out of state tuition is always something I like to hear about! Unfortunately, I don't know much about those schools you mentioned. I will look into it for sure! Do you think I would make a competitive out of state applicant for those schools? I imagine that the lower the out of state tuition, the more interested applicants!

Thank you again for your honest advice!

I have been shadowing with the vet who is writing it several times a week for two summers, and during winter breaks as well. I feel that even though I don't have a large amount of hours working with her specifically, that since we have now known each other for several years, she knows me well enough to feel confident in supporting me by writing a letter. I have contacted her about her comfort level in writing a letter, and she didn't seem concerned. I know that making excuses does not change things, but during the school year I shadow at one clinic, when I shadow at another for summers and winters. This kind of splits up my hours a bit unevenly unfortunately. That is definitely a good point though, and spending more time working with the veterinarian writing for me is a good idea. I also believe that I have a strong letter coming from one of my college professors, who is also my boss in several areas, and my research mentor. My last letter comes from a professor who's class I truly enjoyed (and did well in), who has been witness to my work as a volunteer service dog trainer, and who I have gone to for advice in personal statement writing. Hopefully everything comes together!

Cheaper out of state tuition is always something I like to hear about! Unfortunately, I don't know much about those schools you mentioned. I will look into it for sure! Do you think I would make a competitive out of state applicant for those schools? I imagine that the lower the out of state tuition, the more interested applicants!

Thank you again for your honest advice!
That all sounds great! NCSU I can't speak to but I know @ChoopLoops is going there this fall (couldn't seem to find their stat post maybe they didn't post them). As for WSU I can speak personally (you can pm me if you have questions). You seem competitive. I was honestly suprised when I got in because there are ~20 seats for 1000+ OSS applicants for Pullman campus. You can see my stats here: Successful Applicants Stats - Class of 2022 Unfortunately you're in a similar boat to me where your IS is fairly expensive, but please apply there anyway! Less competition is always good as ski said. Here is a VIN that can help compare your cheaper options VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map I also think Davis lets you change to IS @Coopah ? No idea how competitive you might be there.

That all sounds great! NCSU I can't speak to but I know @ChoopLoops is going there this fall (couldn't seem to find their stat post maybe they didn't post them). As for WSU I can speak personally (you can pm me if you have questions). You seem competitive. I was honestly suprised when I got in because there are ~20 seats for 1000+ OSS applicants for Pullman campus. You can see my stats here: Successful Applicants Stats - Class of 2022 Unfortunately you're in a similar boat to me where your IS is fairly expensive, but please apply there anyway! Less competition is always good as ski said. Here is a VIN that can help compare your cheaper options VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map I also think Davis lets you change to IS @Coopah ? No idea how competitive you might be there.
Yes Davis allows switching to is tuition after the first year, Quant GRE looks a little low but that might not matter, what's the science GPA? The last 45 looks good so might be competitive.

Vet Experience:
~30 hours equine

Animal Experience:

Research:

Other:
Sports Official

Ohio, so going to Ohio State would be wonderful!

I’m a current Ohio State student (and also applied to both Missouri and VAMD, though I was OOS for all of them). I think you definitely have a good shot at OSU, especially being IS. Looks like you have a decent variety of experiences. Definitely talk-up your research experience. I had a lot of research experience and brought it up in my personal statement and talked about it a ton at my interview. Also recommend listing any hobbies you have on VMCAS. Vet schools like you see you have a life outside of school and that was something else that came up in my OSU interview.

Feel free to PM me if you have any OSU specific questions:) I LOVE it here.

P.S. GRE mattered when I applied...but I think I heard that both OSU and VAMD no longer are looking at GRE?

Hey everyone! I'm applying this summer and currently shadowing at an equine hospital. I have about 1200 hrs in small animal vet experience and another 400 or so in exotics/wildlife. While I find equine very interesting, I don't see myself going into equine in the future. I'm not thrilled with the hospital environment and shadowing is becoming a little tedious. I'm basically just there to round out my application (and of course learn about an area I've had no previous experience in). I have about 60 hours right now but I basically just want to stay long enough to show some experience in equine on my application and I'd really rather be doing more exotics/wildlife which I'm much more interested in. I know there's no "magic number" of hours and more is obviously better, but about how much longer do you think I need to stay to make this a significant experience on my application.

Hey everyone! I'm applying this summer and currently shadowing at an equine hospital. I have about 1200 hrs in small animal vet experience and another 400 or so in exotics/wildlife. While I find equine very interesting, I don't see myself going into equine in the future. I'm not thrilled with the hospital environment and shadowing is becoming a little tedious. I'm basically just there to round out my application (and of course learn about an area I've had no previous experience in). I have about 60 hours right now but I basically just want to stay long enough to show some experience in equine on my application and I'd really rather be doing more exotics/wildlife which I'm much more interested in. I know there's no "magic number" of hours and more is obviously better, but about how much longer do you think I need to stay to make this a significant experience on my application.
I mean, with all your other experience, I think you’d be fine with just the 60 hours. You’ve explored it, you don’t like it. 60 hours is not a super small amount of time there. Others can weigh in with their opinions too.

Hello,
I know this question has been asked hundreds of times but vet school applications are due in September and I am a little worried/ stressed. So, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what my chances of getting in would be...

A little background about me:
I am majoring in Animal Science - Pre-Vet with a minor in Business Administration. I am the VP of the Poultry Science club at my university and I am also involved in Pre-Vet Association. I have shadowed at a few vet hospitals for 2 summers and this past semester at the vet school at my university and worked for a traveling vaccine clinic for a little over a year. I currently work in medical records during the school year at the vet school of the university that I attend. This summer I am at an internship with Pilgrim's. My GPA is not the best, 3.23, but that is only because of a few Cs that I have in gen and organic chem classes. I just took the GRE and I got a 300, still waiting on the results of the analytical writing section.

Do I maybe need to retake the GRE? I was really hoping to get around a 305.

Also, with the information given, should I be applying to ~8 vet schools of should I bring the number down a little. The schools that I have considered applying to are:
LSU, A&M, LMU, UTK, Virginia Tech, MSU, UGA, and Missouri.
Are there any schools that are listed above that I would have very little to no chance at getting accepted into.

Hello,
I know this question has been asked hundreds of times but vet school applications are due in September and I am a little worried/ stressed. So, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what my chances of getting in would be...

A little background about me:
I am majoring in Animal Science - Pre-Vet with a minor in Business Administration. I am the VP of the Poultry Science club at my university and I am also involved in Pre-Vet Association. I have shadowed at a few vet hospitals for 2 summers and this past semester at the vet school at my university and worked for a traveling vaccine clinic for a little over a year. I currently work in medical records during the school year at the vet school of the university that I attend. This summer I am at an internship with Pilgrim's. My GPA is not the best, 3.23, but that is only because of a few Cs that I have in gen and organic chem classes. I just took the GRE and I got a 300, still waiting on the results of the analytical writing section.

Do I maybe need to retake the GRE? I was really hoping to get around a 305.

Also, with the information given, should I be applying to ~8 vet schools of should I bring the number down a little. The schools that I have considered applying to are:
LSU, A&M, LMU, UTK, Virginia Tech, MSU, UGA, and Missouri.
Are there any schools that are listed above that I would have very little to no chance at getting accepted into.

So we really need more info. Could you tell us your science and last 45 hours GPAs? What is your state of residence? How many hours of vet and animal experience do you have? Preliminarily, yes you should retake the GRE, or apply to schools like VAMD that don’t consider the GRE. Depending on your last 45 hours GPA, you may have better success targeting schools that weight that GPA more heavily; again this is why we need more info to provide advice.

21 Year Old Female (Will be applying in upcoming cycle)

Major: Animal Science with minor in Poultry science
Cum. GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0

GRE: Verbal-163 Quant-160

Veterinary Experience:
-250 hrs shadowing dairy vet
-100 hrs working with our farm's vet
-50 at mixed food animal practice
-75 small animal

Animal Experience:
- a lifetime working on family's farm and showing cattle

Research Experience:
Around 100 hrs so far working on undergrad honors thesis, have presented at a few research symposiums

Extracurricular activities:
- Dairy Science Club
- Pre Vet Club
- Poultry Science Club
- Animal Reproduction Research Club
-Block and Bridle (secretary)
- College Livestock Judging Team
What state are you a resident of and what schools are you looking to apply to.

Status
Not open for further replies.