This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how much help a pharm student will be in assessing admission chances for vet school :laugh: but I'm happy to help if you (lelakenz) have any questions about Colorado in general. :) Thanks for thinking of me!
:biglove: my bad girl, I remembered vmh was MPH but forgot you were pharm :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

I am a first time applicant and was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not I should retake the GRE to improve my app. Please give me any advice you can think of that might help me out!

cum GPA: 3.9
science GPA: 3.88

GRE
verbal- 157 (76th percentile)
quant- 157 (65th percentile)
Writing- 5.0 (92nd percentile)

-I have a lot of Animal experience from working as a pet sitter to an intern at a wildlife rehab center in Lynnwood, WA for three months. At the rehab center I did a LOT of hands on with wildlife including handling, tube feeding, giving subQ medications and fluids to a wide variety of species such as raptors, infantile and juvenile rodentia and birds. I also have a lot of work with reptiles and amphibians from working as a caretaker in a large vivarium/lab for two years at my University.
-Where I lack is my Vet hours. I have a little over 1,000 hours of Vet experience right now. However, I have just started working at a veterinary clinic and will be continuing to do so full-time for my gap year which I intend to include in my VMCAS app (hoping it is considered and will help my chances) because by Fall 2019 I will have gained 2,000 or so hours of vet experience via this job.
-I have experience mostly with exotics, wildlife and small animal, and some large animal experience from courses during college such as with dairy cattle, alpacas and boer goats.
- I believe my recommendation letters will be well written and one will be especially personal and helpful while the other two will be decent.
- I also have a decent amount of extracurriculars and volunteer work
My current list of schools is: I am most worried about my GRE scores being competitive enough for CSU, Upenn and UF
CSU
VA-MD (my IS)
UF
WSU
UPenn
Ohio
UNC
Cornell

Thank you in advance!
I was paged I see. Speaking from an OSS perspective refer to redlauren and vmh. My question is why did you pick the schools you picked? Why isn't Mizzou on your list? Why are you particularly worried about CSU, Upenn? both of which are some of the most expensive vet schools as OSS in the country. I'm all for going the cheapest route possible so imo I'd focus on making sure your stats etc are good enough to get you a chance at NCSU, WSU, Mizzou etc

Reactions: 2 users
I was paged I see. Speaking from an OSS perspective refer to redlauren and vmh. My question is why did you pick the schools you picked? Why isn't Mizzou on your list? Why are you particularly worried about CSU, Upenn? both of which are some of the most expensive vet schools as OSS in the country. I'm all for going the cheapest route possible so imo I'd focus on making sure your stats etc are good enough to get you a chance at NCSU, WSU, Mizzou etc

To be entirely honest I transferred into the Pre-Vet major and have only known I wanted to attend veterinary school for about 2 years. I came into the process completely blind and choosing schools for me was a struggle because I have not decided 100% what my future vet career will be focused in, however I do have a passion for wildlife, surgery, research and public education. Location also has a big influence on my decisions. I agree that choosing a financially feasible school is important, however for me it is not my top priority. I am blessed (and trust me I know I am blessed) to be in a position where I do not have to worry as much (though I still do) about the financial burden of an OOS school. That being said, I still am considering my IS my #1. I chose CSU because I have gathered that developing public communication skills is significant there, I am in love with the location, and the surgical focus of the curriculum and the opportunity for hands on surgical practice in the first three years. My interest in research drew me into applying to UPenn. As far as why Mizzou isn't on my list, I do not have a concrete reason. Mostly, because I have not found any research or heard from anyone that they have a particularly commendable wildlife program and the location is not ideal so it has never stood out to me. Maybe I should add Mizzou to my list, I will research it further thank you for the suggestion! I chose VA-MD and WSU/UF as my top choices because of the IS tuition and wildlife or zoo animal opportunities respectively.

I am trying my best to choose the right schools but I know I may be wrong and making mistakes because of my lack of knowledge other than what I have found in my research/heard from attendees or faculty.

I think your GPA and GRE are competitive. But if you have the time to prepare and money to do it then why not take it again? With a well polished personal statement I think you have a good change of being interviewed at CSU at least, which is the only school I applied to on your list. Also don’t underestimate volunteer hours and community service. Vet schools love this so don’t downplay it!

Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely not downplay my volunteer hours.

Reactions: 1 user
To be entirely honest I transferred into the Pre-Vet major and have only known I wanted to attend veterinary school for about 2 years. I came into the process completely blind and choosing schools for me was a struggle because I have not decided 100% what my future vet career will be focused in, however I do have a passion for wildlife, surgery, research and public education. Location also has a big influence on my decisions. I agree that choosing a financially feasible school is important, however for me it is not my top priority. I am blessed (and trust me I know I am blessed) to be in a position where I do not have to worry as much (though I still do) about the financial burden of an OOS school. That being said, I still am considering my IS my #1. I chose CSU because I have gathered that developing public communication skills is significant there, I am in love with the location, and the surgical focus of the curriculum and the opportunity for hands on surgical practice in the first three years. My interest in research drew me into applying to UPenn. As far as why Mizzou isn't on my list, I do not have a concrete reason. Mostly, because I have not found any research or heard from anyone that they have a particularly commendable wildlife program and the location is not ideal so it has never stood out to me. Maybe I should add Mizzou to my list, I will research it further thank you for the suggestion! I chose VA-MD and WSU/UF as my top choices because of the IS tuition and wildlife or zoo animal opportunities respectively.

I am trying my best to choose the right schools but I know I may be wrong and making mistakes because of my lack of knowledge other than what I have found in my research/heard from attendees or faculty.

If wildlife is a strong interest, Illinois should be on your list. Our wildlife clinic gets >2000 cases per year. You're able to volunteer during the summer if you're here. One of my favorite experiences.

Hey guys, let me know what you think about the following. It's a rough, yet mostly accurate, sketch of what I'm working with at the moment. Thanks!

(I'm not finished with the science coursework, just fyi).

27 year old male, Texas resident, first time applying

Degree(s):
B.A. in Philosophy with a minor in Religious Studies
M.A. in Philosophy
(Science coursework is being completed in a post-baccalaureate program)

CumGPA for B.A.: 3.43
Major GPA: 3.79
Graduate CumGPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.75

GRE: Verbal: 152
Quant: 151
Writing: 4.5
(Retaking this; I took it on a whim to get into graduate school)

Veterinary Experience:
~200 hours shadowing local veterinarians throughout San Antonio

Animal Experience:
*A lifetime of working with animals at my family's exotic ranch
*Served as an infantry combat Marine working alongside IDDs, providing care to them
~500 hours working in a pet store
~50 hours of volunteer work at a local humane society, providing play, entertainment and walks for homeless dogs

Research/Academic Projects:
*Gave a presentation at UTSA's Graduate Philosophy Ethics Conference on animal-human relations and how they're seen in literature, Kantian ethics, et al, and likewise, how it applies to ethical theories on atrocity, harm, etc.
*Published my thesis on the application of philosophical investigation to the sciences
*Published poetry focusing specifically on the relation animals have in helping one to get beyond their own pain and suffering
*Certified to teach English Language Arts and Reading

Working with Hoomans:
~200 hours serving as an undergraduate writing tutor
~100 hours as a private tutor in writing/reading comprehension
~4 years of serving alongside devil dogs” i.e. U.S. Marines

Extracurricular Activities and Points of Interest:
*Member of the Society of Christian Philosophers
*Member of the National Society of Leadership and Success
*High School English teacher for 3 years
*Played collegiate tennis for a year and a half
*Served as an infantry Marine for 4 years, retiring honorably and highly decorated
*Served as judge at the Annual Texas Regional Ethics Bowl, St. Mary’s University
*Philosophy Fellowship Award, University of Texas-San Antonio
*Dean's List, University of the Incarnate Word

I'm pretty sure Michigan State will consider veterans as In State students even if you aren't from Michigan. Would definitely help with the cost situation.

Meats is dvm/mph at CSU so she could be far more helpful than Capri :laugh:
@vetmedhead
I don't know what's happening in this thread anymore but OP's stats are very similar to what my own were when I applied so I think they have a decent chance of being a competitive applicant. Consider that dual programs are different applicant pools than applying straight OOS though so that may factor in (side note if you apply to a special/dual program at CSU and don't get it you are automatically entered into the general applicant pool for admissions, even if you were waitlisted for the special program).

Hey guys, let me know what you think about the following. It's a rough, yet mostly accurate, sketch of what I'm working with at the moment. Thanks!

(I'm not finished with the science coursework, just fyi).

27 year old male, Texas resident, first time applying

Degree(s):
B.A. in Philosophy with a minor in Religious Studies
M.A. in Philosophy
(Science coursework is being completed in a post-baccalaureate program)

CumGPA for B.A.: 3.43
Major GPA: 3.79
Graduate CumGPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.75

GRE: Verbal: 152
Quant: 151
Writing: 4.5
(Retaking this; I took it on a whim to get into graduate school)

Veterinary Experience:
~200 hours shadowing local veterinarians throughout San Antonio

Animal Experience:
*A lifetime of working with animals at my family's exotic ranch
*Served as an infantry combat Marine working alongside IDDs, providing care to them
~500 hours working in a pet store
~50 hours of volunteer work at a local humane society, providing play, entertainment and walks for homeless dogs

Research/Academic Projects:
*Gave a presentation at UTSA's Graduate Philosophy Ethics Conference on animal-human relations and how they're seen in literature, Kantian ethics, et al, and likewise, how it applies to ethical theories on atrocity, harm, etc.
*Published my thesis on the application of philosophical investigation to the sciences
*Published poetry focusing specifically on the relation animals have in helping one to get beyond their own pain and suffering
*Certified to teach English Language Arts and Reading

Working with Hoomans:
~200 hours serving as an undergraduate writing tutor
~100 hours as a private tutor in writing/reading comprehension
~4 years of serving alongside devil dogs” i.e. U.S. Marines

Extracurricular Activities and Points of Interest:
*Member of the Society of Christian Philosophers
*Member of the National Society of Leadership and Success
*High School English teacher for 3 years
*Played collegiate tennis for a year and a half
*Served as an infantry Marine for 4 years, retiring honorably and highly decorated
*Served as judge at the Annual Texas Regional Ethics Bowl, St. Mary’s University
*Philosophy Fellowship Award, University of Texas-San Antonio
*Dean's List, University of the Incarnate Word

I can offer some advice for TAMU . When you apply through TMDSAS, it will give a cumulative GPA section that averages your undergrad and graduate work - this will be the GPA they consider. They weight your total science GPA the highest, followed by last 45 hours, and then your overall GPA. Going on what I see here, your GPAs for science and last 45 hours are definitely competitive. Your GRE scores are right at the average, so retaking it would be beneficial. TAMU is heavily academics focused. What kind of veterinary experience do you have? Is it primarily small, large, exotic? Make sure to specify that. TAMU (and I'm assuming most other schools) really looks for diversity in experience. If possible, try and get more vet experience before submission. All other areas of your application seem unique and well rounded.

As for keeping costs low - have you been using your GI Bill/Hazlewood benefits for undergrad/graduate work? I'm a legacy student using my father's military benefits for 1st year (that's all I have left), but I know they stop for me at age 25. If you don't have that same age limit and you still have credits left, you can use them for vet school!!! And that's a HUGE financial relief when it comes to tuition.

Hey guys, it's my second time applying and I didn't do this the first time around... Honestly I'm a little nervous to post these stats because I have a lower GPA than most - to preface, I graduated from a top 20 university, so yes, my classes were pretty rigorous and I think it shows.

GPA:

Cum GPA: 3.39
Last 45: 3.32
Science: 2.9 (lol yeah)

GRE: (both are in the 90th, I think verbal is like 97%?, quant. is like 91%)
Verbal GRE: 166
Quant GRE: 166
Analytical: 5.0

Vet Experience:
~700 hours in a Pathology lab, working part time through two years of school or so
~ 50 hours in a mixed animal clinic shadowing
~ 220 hours divided between two small animal practices
~ 40 hours at one of those vetcamps

Animal Experience:
~100 hours of pet sitting
~ 170 hours as a summer intern at a research/working dog facility
~ 50 hours as a counselor at a horse camp

Research:
~ 400 hours in the span of 2.5/3 years in a molecular bio lab in undergrad (no publications)

Work/Extracurricular:
1 summer of summer camp counseling
~ 100 hours at a front desk job on campus
2 years+ leadership in the college pre-vet society
~ 500+ hours doing club sports, 3+ years of leadership in the sport and a small recognition nationally

Last year I applied to 9 schools and got waitlisted at these places: Illinois, VA/MD, Penn, and Tufts. - OOS at all of them
Thinking about applying to: VA/MD, Tufts, LMU, Cornell, Mich State, Minnesota, Oklahoma.. Although I'm definitely up for suggestions/help.

Hey guys, it's my second time applying and I didn't do this the first time around... Honestly I'm a little nervous to post these stats because I have a lower GPA than most - to preface, I graduated from a top 20 university, so yes, my classes were pretty rigorous and I think it shows.

GPA:

Cum GPA: 3.39
Last 45: 3.32
Science: 2.9 (lol yeah)

GRE: (both are in the 90th, I think verbal is like 97%?, quant. is like 91%)
Verbal GRE: 166
Quant GRE: 166
Analytical: 5.0

Vet Experience:
~700 hours in a Pathology lab, working part time through two years of school or so
~ 50 hours in a mixed animal clinic shadowing
~ 220 hours divided between two small animal practices
~ 40 hours at one of those vetcamps

Animal Experience:
~100 hours of pet sitting
~ 170 hours as a summer intern at a research/working dog facility
~ 50 hours as a counselor at a horse camp

Research:
~ 400 hours in the span of 2.5/3 years in a molecular bio lab in undergrad (no publications)

Work/Extracurricular:
1 summer of summer camp counseling
~ 100 hours at a front desk job on campus
2 years+ leadership in the college pre-vet society
~ 500+ hours doing club sports, 3+ years of leadership in the sport and a small recognition nationally

Last year I applied to 9 schools and got waitlisted at these places: Illinois, VA/MD, Penn, and Tufts. - OOS at all of them
Thinking about applying to: VA/MD, Tufts, LMU, Cornell, Mich State, Minnesota, Oklahoma.. Although I'm definitely up for suggestions/help.
Don’t use your college being a top 20 university as an excuse for your grades.

Michigan State will not look at your application if your prereq and last 36 gpa are not a 3.0 or above. Calculate those and make sure they are before spending time applying.

It there a reason you’re dropping Illinois from your list this round?

Are there any science prereqs that you could retake to increase both your last 45 and science gpa for schools that replace grades?

Last edited:
I have a lower GPA than most - to preface, I graduated from a top 20 university, so yes, my classes were pretty rigorous and I think it shows.
I’m not trying to be an ass, but you really want to drop this attitude ASAP. Vet schools don’t care if you went to an Ivy League school or state school. They care if you got the pre-requisite and have the preliminary understanding of advanced science so they don’t have to teach as much in the first semester.

It’s completely possible I’m overreacting to the comment, but I worry that you’re getting a superiority complex in your UG, and I promise you that your future classmates will roll their eyes/ make fun of you for it. Focus on fixing yourself, you can’t blame your school/ your professors/ your other classmates/ anybody else for a ‘lower’ GPA. That applies in vet school too, so I would really try to accept that now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can offer some advice for TAMU . When you apply through TMDSAS, it will give a cumulative GPA section that averages your undergrad and graduate work - this will be the GPA they consider. They weight your total science GPA the highest, followed by last 45 hours, and then your overall GPA. Going on what I see here, your GPAs for science and last 45 hours are definitely competitive. Your GRE scores are right at the average, so retaking it would be beneficial. TAMU is heavily academics focused. What kind of veterinary experience do you have? Is it primarily small, large, exotic? Make sure to specify that. TAMU (and I'm assuming most other schools) really looks for diversity in experience. If possible, try and get more vet experience before submission. All other areas of your application seem unique and well rounded.

As for keeping costs low - have you been using your GI Bill/Hazlewood benefits for undergrad/graduate work? I'm a legacy student using my father's military benefits for 1st year (that's all I have left), but I know they stop for me at age 25. If you don't have that same age limit and you still have credits left, you can use them for vet school!!! And that's a HUGE financial relief when it comes to tuition.

Thank you so much for the reply! OK, all of that's good to hear! My wife completed her MA at Texas A&M, so I'm sure she could share a bit more with me about the admissions process (I haven't even asked her yet!). Yes, I'll retake the GRE. Otherwise, my vet experience has really only been toward small animal practice (well as far as clinical vet experience goes). Might you recommend more of that and some veterinary exposure to exotic animals, or can it be whatever other kind of veterinary experience apart from small animal?

I've exhausted my GI Bill through undergraduate and graduate work. However, I haven't used the Hazlewood benefits. I'll look into that.

Again, thank you so much! :)

Don’t use your college being a top 20 university as an excuse for your grades.

Michigan State will not look at your application if your prereq and last 36 gpa are not a 3.0 or above. Calculate those and make sure they are before spending time applying.

It there a reason you’re dropping Illinois from your list this round?

Are there any science prereqs that you could retake to increase both your last 45 and science gpa for schools that replace grades?

Cool, thanks for the tip on Michigan State. I'm still debating on Illinois, I liked it when I interviewed but I think my GPA held me back, and will continue to do so in this next round applying.
Yeah, I'm planning on taking one more science GPA, but since I graduated, I'm trying to find the balance of accumulating more hours of experience, making money, and taking classes when I can.

I’m not trying to be an ass, but you really want to drop this attitude ASAP. Vet schools don’t care if you went to an Ivy League school or state school. They care if you got the pre-requisite and have the preliminary understanding of advanced science so they don’t have to teach as much in the first semester.

It’s completely possible I’m overreacting to the comment, but I worry that you’re getting a superiority complex in your UG, and I promise you that your future classmates will roll their eyes/ make fun of you for it. Focus on fixing yourself, you can’t blame your school/ your professors/ your other classmates/ anybody else for a ‘lower’ GPA. That applies in vet school too, so I would really try to accept that now.

Sure, I understand that - and I'm not trying to have a superiority complex, especially because I don't even know the rigors of vet school (yet). Just stating what I feel like is true. I can't exactly change my GPA as I apply this year, since I just graduated, but I will be working on taking classes in the coming year and updating schools as I go along.

Cool, thanks for the tip on Michigan State. I'm still debating on Illinois, I liked it when I interviewed but I think my GPA held me back, and will continue to do so in this next round applying.
Yeah, I'm planning on taking one more science GPA, but since I graduated, I'm trying to find the balance of accumulating more hours of experience, making money, and taking classes when I can.
Have you done file reviews for every schooo you applied to this past cycle? That’s your FIRST step if you haven’t.

Have you done file reviews for every schooo you applied to this past cycle? That’s your FIRST step if you haven’t.
Yep! And that's what a lot of schools have told me, that my GPA was one of the weakest parts of my app. I found the file reviews very helpful.

Thank you so much for the reply! OK, all of that's good to hear! My wife completed her MA at Texas A&M, so I'm sure she could share a bit more with me about the admissions process (I haven't even asked her yet!). Yes, I'll retake the GRE. Otherwise, my vet experience has really only been toward small animal practice (well as far as clinical vet experience goes). Might you recommend more of that and some veterinary exposure to exotic animals, or can it be whatever other kind of veterinary experience apart from small animal?

I've exhausted my GI Bill through undergraduate and graduate work. However, I haven't used the Hazlewood benefits. I'll look into that.

Again, thank you so much! :)

WHOOP! Hopefully you'll be added to the Aggie family! As far as more vet experience, ideally if you can squeeze in exotics and large animal before the application is due, that would be the best. I say that, but I only had small and large VET experience (I had exotics in ANIMAL experience). Are you more interested in exotics, large, or mixed practice? If you can't get both exotics and large animal under your belt, I'd try and get experience in the field you're most interested in. You mentioned your family's exotics ranch, is that like big game/ungulate species? If you haven't completed the supplement application yet, make sure to find a way to put in there that you have experience with these different species. If possible, try and specify each species you worked with. The supplemental application is the best way to show your familiarity with a whole array of different animals.

The employees at TAMU's Veterans Services Office are incredibly nice and helpful! And you're welcome! :)

WHOOP! Hopefully you'll be added to the Aggie family! As far as more vet experience, ideally if you can squeeze in exotics and large animal before the application is due, that would be the best. I say that, but I only had small and large VET experience (I had exotics in ANIMAL experience). Are you more interested in exotics, large, or mixed practice? If you can't get both exotics and large animal under your belt, I'd try and get experience in the field you're most interested in. You mentioned your family's exotics ranch, is that like big game/ungulate species? If you haven't completed the supplement application yet, make sure to find a way to put in there that you have experience with these different species. If possible, try and specify each species you worked with. The supplemental application is the best way to show your familiarity with a whole array of different animals.

The employees at TAMU's Veterans Services Office are incredibly nice and helpful! And you're welcome! :)

Your post here is very insightful. Thanks for clearing some of my ignorance, really!

Hmm. Well, I presume I'm most interested in mixed practice. It'd be something of a real fantasy to work as a GP veterinarian while providing some form of consultation for my family's ranch. My family has a major operation occurring there, insofar as leasing hunts & producing greater ungulate (indeed: zebras, addax, blackbuck, et al) populations is concerned. So yes ma'am: I suppose I want to be involved with those two experiences (small animal and exotic) as much as I can, although I wonder what actual vet experience I can receive with exotic animals before veterinary school;--but anyways, I'll be sure to note the different species I've had experience with on the supplemental application. (I don't have too much experience with horses. Maybe I'll shadow a vet nearby about that).

Regarding your WHOOP!... :)

I tease my wife about the "Aggieness" sometimes. Haha. My older brother is also an Aggie. Geez, actually, I come from a long line of Aggies.
Smh. I hope I don't get it on me...

*Shrug*
It's "Farmers fight!" for me...I guess... :)

Cool, thanks for the tip on Michigan State. I'm still debating on Illinois, I liked it when I interviewed but I think my GPA held me back

Once you hit the interview, grades (phase 1) are no longer considered (unless that's changed in the last 4 months). It's 75% interview, 25% phase 2

If it has, they haven’t changed the website :laugh: (which, I mean I wouldn’t put that not changing the site past them :laugh:)

I hope it hasn't changed cause that's definitely what I told the tour I gave today. :hilarious:

25 Year Old Female, CA resident, 1st time applicant

applying to: Davis and Tufts are top choices, also Cornell, Penn, Western, Royal College in London, Edinburgh, Sydney

Want to do wildlife, esp interested in water birbs (<3 obvs grebes are my fave birbs ever, enough that I have one tattooed on my body). Very interested in working with an initiative like One Health on population health and conservation and want to pursue a PhD on top of a DVM (not super enthused about a joint program though... I don't know if I want to do them at the same time... eek!)

Major: Biology (focus on seabird ecology), graduated 2015 from Pomona College
Cum. GPA: 3.5-ish
Science GPA: 3.6-ish
Last 45: 3.6-ish, maybe rounds up to 3.7? I've taken a few pre-recs after graduating undergrad and its annoying to re-calculate my GPA.

GRE:
Verbal-165 (96th %)
Quant-158 (68th %) (re-taking to raise quant score)
AWA-4.5 (82nd %)

Veterinary Experience:
-800 hrs avian wildlife, much of it avian anesthesia
-300 hrs equine
-60 hrs small animal

Animal Experience:
-1500+ hours in paid staff position working in aquatic bird rehabilitation
-750 hours paid staff general wildlife rehabilitation
-1300 hours volunteer in aquatic bird rehabilitation
-150-ish hours of various field experience trapping, banding, collecting data on various birds (both terrestrial and marine)
-100-ish hours spent collaring and micro-chipping elephants and rhinos in south africa
-100-ish hours at rhino orphanage
-100-ish hours petsitting
-60 hours working on a cattle station in australia
-few hundred hours riding and caring for horses

Research Experience:
-1000 hours studying reproductive success of antarctic seabird populations for undergraduate thesis, presented research at multiple scientific conferences
- 700+ hours working in various other labs throughout undergrad

Extracurricular activities:
- PADI Rescue Diver
- Affiliated with the oiled wildlife care network based out of UC Davis
- Pacific Seabird Group member

eLORs:
-Veterinarian at current job (aquatic bird rehabilitation)
-Undergraduate advisor/mentor/best human alive, seabird and polar ecologist
-Animal behavior professor from undergrad, also worked for her trapping/banding western scrub jays
-Internship coordinator from current job (where I started as an intern, am now staff)

I have a question though too.... I'm re-taking the GRE to get my quant score up. I would really like to just focus only on the quant section this next test and not worry about my verbal or writing scores. I know that Davis clearly states that they will take your highest combination of scores on the GRE, but I can't find any clear policies from anyone else on their websites. Does anyone know about any of the schools i listed above (Tufts, Cornell, Penn, Western)--do they choose the highest score from each section, or do they just look at 1 test with the highest score overall? Like, I'm really happy with my verbal score and my AWA score is fine considering most schools seem to not care about it at all, so I'm wondering if I really only focus on quant but end up getting lower verbal and AWA scores this test, will that matter?

Thank you! <3 <3

applying to: Davis and Tufts are top choices, also Cornell, Penn, Western, Royal College in London, Edinburgh, Sydney

Want to do wildlife, esp interested in water birbs (<3 obvs grebes are my fave birbs ever, enough that I have one tattooed on my body). Very interested in working with an initiative like One Health on population health and conservation and want to pursue a PhD on top of a DVM (not super enthused about a joint program though... I don't know if I want to do them at the same time... eek!)

Last 45: 3.6-ish, maybe rounds up to 3.7? I've taken a few pre-recs after graduating undergrad and its annoying to re-calculate my GPA.

GRE:
Verbal-165 (96th %)
AWA-4.5 (82nd %)

Veterinary Experience:
-300 hrs equine
-60 hrs small animal

Animal Experience:
-150-ish hours of various field experience trapping, banding, collecting data on various birds (both terrestrial and marine)
-100-ish hours spent collaring and micro-chipping elephants and rhinos in south africa

Research Experience:
-1000 hours studying reproductive success of antarctic seabird populations for undergraduate thesis, presented research at multiple scientific conferences

- PADI Rescue Diver

eLORs:
-Animal behavior professor from undergrad, also worked for her trapping/banding western scrub jays
-Internship coordinator from current job (where I started as an intern, am now staff)

I have a question though too.... I'm re-taking the GRE to get my quant score up. I would really like to just focus only on the quant section this next test and not worry about my verbal or writing scores. I know that Davis clearly states that they will take your highest combination of scores on the GRE, but I can't find any clear policies from anyone else on their websites. Does anyone know about any of the schools i listed above (Tufts, Cornell, Penn, Western)--do they choose the highest score from each section, or do they just look at 1 test with the highest score overall? Like, I'm really happy with my verbal score and my AWA score is fine considering most schools seem to not care about it at all, so I'm wondering if I really only focus on quant but end up getting lower verbal and AWA scores this test, will that matter?

Thank you! <3 <3
Hey, so you're kind of borderline, but since you're a Cali resident you should have a shot, they might put you in the holistic review file and look at everything. I know Tufts take the highest from each category as well. Hope that helps!

Does anyone know about any of the schools i listed above (Tufts, Cornell, Penn, Western)--do they choose the highest score from each section, or do they just look at 1 test with the highest score overall?

I honestly ended up having to email schools directly to get this info.

With that being said, I love your experiences!!!

I honestly ended up having to email schools directly to get this info.

With that being said, I love your experiences!!!
Yeahhh that was kind of what I thought I might have to do.

Do you happen to remember what any of them said?

Thank you!! :D

Woo-hoo excited to get some feedback.

24 year old female, MA resident, non-traditional student, 1st time applicant

GPA Stuff
Major: Management with a specialization in Equine Business Management; certificate in Equine Reproductive Management
Graduated from Cazenovia College in 2016
Cum. GPA: 3.79
Science GPA: 3.75ish (I finish Orgo 2 in a couple weeks and still have biochem and physics II left)
Last 45 GPA: 3.8ish

GRE
*I just took it yesterday so these are unofficial scores*

V: 157
Q: 149 (Lol- I was scoring 158 on my practice exams so my bad)
W: not sure but I was at a 5.5 and a 6 for my practice exams and I feel confident about my writing

Veterinary Experience
52 hours- shadowing small animal/exotic vets
22 hours- shadowing mobile small animal vet
400 hours- working as a vet assistant at a small animal/exotics clinic
5 hours- watching surgery on a cow
173 hours- receptionist at small animal clinic
*This week I start shadowing at an equine clinic

Animal Experience
1470 hours- working at a doggie daycare/boarding facility
600 hours- stable hand at college equine facility
670 hours- assistant broodmare manager on thoroughbred breeding farm
725 hours- intern at W.h Miner Institute, worked mostly with horses but occasionally with dairy cows
520 hours- FEI Combined Driving Groom for winter competition season
520 hours- kennel worker dog boarding kennel
500 hours-kennel work at dog boarding kennel (I've worked at 3 different kennels)
300 hours- trainer at miniature horse farm
200 hours- volunteer at dog rescue
100 hours- helping a Great Dane breeder

Research Experience
Nothing lol.

Extracurricular Activities/Awards
4 years college equestrian team (IHSA and IDA)
Equine Ambassadors Club in college (4 years, 2 as an officer)
4 years high school field hockey player (was captain and all-scholastic)
Multiple other sports in high school including track, basketball, and softball
Certified in Bovine Artificial Insemination
All College Honors Program
Won History Award in high school
Dean's List several semesters

LOR
1) small animal/exotic vet I shadowed and worked under
2) college professor who I had all 4 years and was program director and my advisor
3) college professor who taught most of my equine science and repro courses
4) college barn manager who I worked for and taught me in a few classes

Schools I'm Applying To:
Tufts (my in-state)
Cornell
Virginia-Maryland

Concerns
So I didn't realize I wanted to be a vet until senior year of college. I worked at a clinic right after graduation and loved it, but talked myself out of the vet industry and worked in the equine industry for a while. But I realized this is what I want to do. My vet hours are low but I'm working on getting some more experiences. I'm hoping that even though the hours are not a lot, schools will appreciate the effort. My GRE is bad. I could probably squeeze in one more time before the application is due but, with money tight and all, I"m debating this. I'm really hoping my business degree and animal experience helps me stand out a bit but we'll see. I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

GRE:
Verbal-165 (96th %)
AWA-4.5 (82nd %)

Veterinary Experience:
-300 hrs equine
-60 hrs small animal

Animal Experience:

Research Experience:

- PADI Rescue Diver

eLORs:

Thank you! <3 <3
Penn looks at the highest scoring test only. They also don't care about the writing section at all, like they told me I could skip that section if I wanted and it wouldn't change anything.

Yeahhh that was kind of what I thought I might have to do.

Do you happen to remember what any of them said?

Thank you!! :D

I was emailing them back in '15 and '16, so my info is out of date at this point. Sorry!

Penn looks at the highest scoring test only. They also don't care about the writing section at all, like they told me I could skip that section if I wanted and it wouldn't change anything.

The highest scoring section from each test, or the highest test overall?

For those of you who have applied to UPenn in the past, or those who are currently enrolled, what were your stats like? It's not my in-state but I live an hour from Philly so if I get accepted it would just be perfect for me to be close to home. I'm trying to figure out if it would even be worth spending the money to apply there. I'm applying to plenty of schools that don't weigh gpa super heavily, but I've always thought UPenn was very gpa oriented... that's why I'm hesitant!

My cumulative GPA isn't the best, only a 3.35. I did pretty poorly my freshman year. My science gpa is 3.31, and last 45 is 3.53. My vet experience is around 1,700 hours at the moment (small animal), and I have animal experience with dairy cows (20 hours), sheep & goats (40 hours), and a little bit with horses (~15 hours). I have my bachelors degree in pre-veterinary medicine. Member of Sigma Alpha for 3.5 years and held a committee position for one year.

For those of you who have applied to UPenn in the past, or those who are currently enrolled, what were your stats like? It's not my in-state but I live an hour from Philly so if I get accepted it would just be perfect for me to be close to home. I'm trying to figure out if it would even be worth spending the money to apply there. I'm applying to plenty of schools that don't weigh gpa super heavily, but I've always thought UPenn was very gpa oriented... that's why I'm hesitant!

My cumulative GPA isn't the best, only a 3.35. I did pretty poorly my freshman year. My science gpa is 3.31, and last 45 is 3.53. My vet experience is around 1,700 hours at the moment (small animal), and I have animal experience with dairy cows (20 hours), sheep & goats (40 hours), and a little bit with horses (~15 hours). I have my bachelors degree in pre-veterinary medicine. Member of Sigma Alpha for 3.5 years and held a committee position for one year.
Search this forum for threads titled “successful applicant stats class of ____” and search those threads for penn applicants.

From my personal experience, your GPA is a bit on the low side. Have you taken the GRE yet? If you are able to rock the quant section of the GRE, it could help offset the lower GPA.

From my personal experience, your GPA is a bit on the low side. Have you taken the GRE yet? If you are able to rock the quant section of the GRE, it could help offset the lower GPA.
Oops yes, I totally forgot about the gre! 152 verbal, 160 quant. I've seen a lot of people on here who have gpa's similar to mine get into at least one and even a few schools, so I'm hopeful. I know it's not the best, but I'm working really hard on my essays to make up for the not so competitive parts of my application.

Oops yes, I totally forgot about the gre! 152 verbal, 160 quant. I've seen a lot of people on here who have gpa's similar to mine get into at least one and even a few schools, so I'm hopeful. I know it's not the best, but I'm working really hard on my essays to make up for the not so competitive parts of my application.
Pretty sure she is speaking for penn in particular, since that was the only school you were asking about.
What other schools are you planning on applying to and where are you a resident? You didn’t say either of those and it really helps for evaluating your chances if people know where you even are applying and if you’re IS or OOS.

Pretty sure she is speaking for penn in particular, since that was the only school you were asking about.
What other schools are you planning on applying to and where are you a resident? You didn’t say either of those and it really helps for evaluating your chances if people know where you even are applying and if you’re IS or OOS.
Sorry she didn’t specify if she had applied to UPenn or anything, I assumed it was a general note about my gpa. I’m a NJ resident, we don’t have any seats in any schools. I’m OOS for everywhere. But I am asking about my chances for UPenn just to see if it’s worth applying there - if anyone has been accepted with similar stats, or been rejected because of a similar gpa, things like that. I already know my gpa is on the lower end in general

Sorry she didn’t specify if she had applied to UPenn or anything, I assumed it was a general note about my gpa. I’m a NJ resident, we don’t have any seats in any schools. I’m OOS for everywhere. But I am asking about my chances for UPenn just to see if it’s worth applying there - if anyone has been accepted with similar stats, or been rejected because of a similar gpa, things like that. I already know my gpa is on the lower end in general
You only had asked for penn advice, so that’s what she gave.
What other schools are you applying to?

Ok. LMU, Michigan State, Ohio State, Illinois, Western, Midwestern, UGA, CSU
Michigan State doesn’t consider gpa beyond making sure you have over a 3.0 in last 36 and prereq so your gpa won’t hold you back there at all. Illinois doesn’t factor gpa into final admissions decisions, so once you make it to interviews you don’t have to worry about it.

What are your reasons for choosing CSU ans UGA?
CSU I’m pretty sure is one of the more difficult schools to get into OOS AND is also one of the highest tuition costs (along with penn as an OOS) and I think UGA takes very few OOS (I wanna say it’s like 15?).

Which school is your IS? It would be helpful to know roughly what your science and last 45 GPAs are, too.
Sorry for how late this reply is! Honestly, I forgot I posted...
My last 45 is a 3.54, and my science is lingering around the same. I know it's not the strongest GPA. I wish I could go back and pay more attention but too late for that. My IS is Florida.

Reposting because it seems it got lost among everyone else's threads. I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!! :)

GPA Stuff
Major: Management with a specialization in Equine Business Management; certificate in Equine Reproductive Management
Science GPA: 3.75ish (I finish Orgo 2 in a couple weeks and still have biochem and physics II left)

GRE

W: not sure but I was at a 5.5 and a 6 for my practice exams and I feel confident about my writing

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience
725 hours- intern at W.h Miner Institute, worked mostly with horses but occasionally with dairy cows
500 hours-kennel work at dog boarding kennel (I've worked at 3 different kennels)

Research Experience
Nothing lol.

LOR
2) college professor who I had all 4 years and was program director and my advisor

Schools I'm Applying To:
Tufts (my in-state)
Cornell
Virginia-Maryland

Concerns
So I didn't realize I wanted to be a vet until senior year of college. I worked at a clinic right after graduation and loved it, but talked myself out of the vet industry and worked in the equine industry for a while. But I realized this is what I want to do. My vet hours are low but I'm working on getting some more experiences. I'm hoping that even though the hours are not a lot, schools will appreciate the effort. My GRE is bad. I could probably squeeze in one more time before the application is due but, with money tight and all, I"m debating this. I'm really hoping my business degree and animal experience helps me stand out a bit but we'll see. I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Reposting because it seems it got lost among everyone else's threads. I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!! :)

GPA Stuff

GRE

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Research Experience
Nothing lol.

LOR

Schools I'm Applying To:
Tufts (my in-state)
Cornell
Virginia-Maryland

Concerns
Your stats look pretty good to me. More varied experience would help, but it looks like you are already planning on doing that. If there is any way you can get some research experience, that certainly wouldn't hurt either.

Hi all, Only recently stumbled upon SDN and am getting really shook by reading so many profiles with 4.0 GPAs and 160 GRE scores and am questioning my whole life please help!

21 year old female, FL resident, senior year, traditional student, 1st time applicant

GPA Stuff
Major: BS in Animal Science and BA in Dance from UF
Cum. GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: really varies but around a 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.75 ish

GRE
V: 161
Q: 155
W: 5

Veterinary Experience
1000 hours- vet assistant at a small animal hospital
75 hours- volunteering at different animal hospital
150 hours- volunteering at my universities animal hospital

Animal Experience
150 hours- working with my dad on his fairly recently acquired Angus cattle farm
100 hours- equine work with weanlings and grooming
35 hours- volunteering at my local shelter
15 hours- volunteering at a monkey sanctuary

Research Experience
25 hours working as a data organizer on a lab researching cocaine withdrawal in mice

President of the Panhellenic Council for UF and plenty of other positions before in the council
Womens Affairs Cabinet Director for UF
New Student Orientation Leader in 2016 for UF
TA for Genetics of Domestic Animals for 2 semesters
Student Involvement Panel Member- basically briefs the VP of UF on student concerns and affairs
Florida Blue Key Member

LOR
1) small animal vet practice owner I worked under
2) college professor who I TA for
3) college advisor who I worked closely with for all 4 years of college with in Panhellenic
4) Small animal vet that I have worked with

Schools I'm Applying To:
UF
Colorado ( my dream school but feeling very down about my chances)
St Georges
UC Davis
NC State
Possibly Virginia Maryland, possibly LSU

Concerns
Im starting to feel like a kid left in a grocery store who has no idea where to turn or what to do. I consider myself a fairly strong writer so I hope my applications shed light on who I am as a person. Someone please let me know if my current applications to schools are unrealistic based on GPA and experience! CSU is my dream, but I have no idea of my chances. I have a bit more experiences and other things im adding to my apps that aren't listed here working with dance and movement analysis and other campus leadership positions and honoraries that im adding in my app, but Im worried that my GPA isn't a 3.8. I also worry that my experience isn't varied enough. Im taking 11 credits right now and am anticipating getting an A in 4 credits, an A- in 4 credits, and a B in 3 credits which won't do my GPA any favors. I want to apply to realistic schools but am unsure where to turn and what to do. Money isn't my main concern, and I don't mind applying OOS. I also had planned for more research this summer but the paperwork never worked out and my course load prevented me from pursuing it further. Any and all advice would be great!

Hi all, Only recently stumbled upon SDN and am getting really shook by reading so many profiles with 4.0 GPAs and 160 GRE scores and am questioning my whole life please help!

21 year old female, FL resident, senior year, traditional student, 1st time applicant

GPA Stuff

GRE

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience
150 hours- working with my dad on his fairly recently acquired Angus cattle farm

Research Experience
25 hours working as a data organizer on a lab researching cocaine withdrawal in mice

President of the Panhellenic Council for UF and plenty of other positions before in the council
Student Involvement Panel Member- basically briefs the VP of UF on student concerns and affairs
Florida Blue Key Member

LOR
3) college advisor who I worked closely with for all 4 years of college with in Panhellenic

Schools I'm Applying To:
UF
St Georges
UC Davis
NC State

Concerns
Im starting to feel like a kid left in a grocery store who has no idea where to turn or what to do. I consider myself a fairly strong writer so I hope my applications shed light on who I am as a person. Someone please let me know if my current applications to schools are unrealistic based on GPA and experience! CSU is my dream, but I have no idea of my chances. I have a bit more experiences and other things im adding to my apps that aren't listed here working with dance and movement analysis and other campus leadership positions and honoraries that im adding in my app, but Im worried that my GPA isn't a 3.8. I also worry that my experience isn't varied enough. Im taking 11 credits right now and am anticipating getting an A in 4 credits, an A- in 4 credits, and a B in 3 credits which won't do my GPA any favors. I want to apply to realistic schools but am unsure where to turn and what to do. Money isn't my main concern, and I don't mind applying OOS. I also had planned for more research this summer but the paperwork never worked out and my course load prevented me from pursuing it further. Any and all advice would be great!
Hi! I hope this doesn’t make you feel discouraged but my grades, vet experience, and get scores were almost the same (my verbal was 152 and math was 159) and I didn’t even get an interview from CSU. CSU and NC state were the only two that gave me straight rejections. I also did research for 4 years and wrote a thesis. But who knows your sup essays may be stronger as you are a strong writer! Nevertheless, try and hope for the best!

Hi! I hope this doesn’t make you feel discouraged but my grades, vet experience, and get scores were almost the same (my verbal was 152 and math was 159) and I didn’t even get an interview from CSU. CSU and NC state were the only two that gave me straight rejections. I also did research for 4 years and wrote a thesis. But who knows your sup essays may be stronger as you are a strong writer! Nevertheless, try and hope for the best!
I’m a CA resident so I was able to get an interview at Davis but I bombed that haha. Generally oos for Davis is closer to the 3.8-3.9 with really high math gre. Applying to NC state was a dumb decision by me. There were 1000 oos applying for like 10 or 20 spots this year. It is insanely competitive. I know someone who got in but he was in the national guard, had a daughter, and was a single parent. Maybe that played a factor in his acceptance. Research is very important! All my interviewers were impressed by my research background. 25 hours doesn’t seem a lot, I’d suggest doing more. I think it may have been what opened so many doors for me.

GPA Stuff

GRE

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Research Experience

Florida Blue Key Member

LOR

Schools I'm Applying To:
UF
St Georges
UC Davis
NC State

Concerns
The accepted stats for NCSU oos are pretty insane. I’d probably drop that one off your list and pick somewhere else that you might be a better match.

Is all of your vet experience in small animal? If so, you should definitely try to get more varied experience if you can. Otherwise your stats look pretty good and you will likely get in somewhere.

I’d also give up the idea of a “dream school” unless that criteria is just that it’s the cheapest school.

Hi all! Applying this cycle and could use some encouragement!

22 year old female, NH Resident, 1st time applicant, graduated with BS in May 2018, currently in gap year

GPA
Major: Biomedical Science: Medical and Veterinary Sciences
Cumulative: 3.29
Science: ~3.15
Last 45: 2.92 if including my study abroad semester, 3.11 if skipped and used last at-home semester

GRE
V: 149
Q: 154
W: 4.5

Veterinary Experience
1,060 hours - current vet assistant/tech at small animal hospital
140 hours - small animal shelter clinic
100 hours - equine clinic

Animal Experience
480 hours - wildlife rehabilitation intern
164 hours - current kennel associate
120 hours - cat rescue volunteer
65 hours - still currently dog sitting
25 hours - behavior assistance at small animal shelter
24 hours - aquarium maintenance for research while abroad (I didn't actually do any research)

Research
None :(

Extracurriculars/Awards
Studied abroad in Australia Spring 2017 for 5 months
Global Ambassador for my college upon returning (must apply and get accepted - help prospective study abroad students, lead events, etc)
Pre-Vet Club
Intramural Sports
Event Staff first 2 years of college
Dean's List a few semesters
Charles F. Marble Scholarship recipient

LOR
2 from vets I currently work with (small animal clinic for about a year now)
1 from my wildlife rehabilitation manager

Schools I'm Applying To
University of Florida
Michigan State University
Ohio State University
Western University
Ross University

Concerns:
-GPA: obviously not the best and unfortunately my last 45/science may hurt me a bit. I was very up and down throughout college.
-No academic letter of rec: I was not one of those students that got to know their professor, I liked being a small fish in a big pond. Hence why I'm choosing schools that don't require an academic letter (amongst other reasons)
-GRE: my verbal is not very competitive at all.

Thank you everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.