This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan State University
Definitely figure out your last 36 credit hour gpa. Msu will not even look at the rest of your app if your prereq and last 36 gpa are not at least a 3.0. Once you meet that, they don’t care about gpa anymore so you’d have a better chance then. Contact MSU and ask if you’re not sure about which of your classes would be included. I would think that your study abroad classes would still count since they are classes from a college/university somewhere in the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I’m new to the SDN and not sure if I ask my questions to individuals or how to get lots of feedback. I’m finishing up prerequisites for Vet School and am hoping to get into K State as my top pick. I have a BS in Animal Science with Equine Emphasis, 3.4 GPA, GRE (quant 147) (verbal 143) (writing 3). I have 10 years of experience in the Veterinary field ranging from work/volunteering at the SPCA to internships and employment at clinics. Lots of leadership roles and organizations I helped raise up as well as extracurricular activities (from band to horse showing). Any advice? I’m not sure how best to analyze my GPA and if I should still take the math prerequisites that other Vet schools require. I’m hoping to apply next summer for entrance in 2020. Thanks! And if I need to post this elsewhere please let me know!

I’ve been trying for a long time to get straight answers from advisors everywhere and it’s never happened so I’m really hoping this site can help give me some direction on how I’m doing in preparing for my application.

Hi I’m new to the SDN and not sure if I ask my questions to individuals or how to get lots of feedback. I’m finishing up prerequisites for Vet School and am hoping to get into K State as my top pick. I have a BS in Animal Science with Equine Emphasis, 3.4 GPA, GRE (quant 147) (verbal 143) (writing 3). I have 10 years of experience in the Veterinary field ranging from work/volunteering at the SPCA to internships and employment at clinics. Lots of leadership roles and organizations I helped raise up as well as extracurricular activities (from band to horse showing). Any advice? I’m not sure how best to analyze my GPA and if I should still take the math prerequisites that other Vet schools require. I’m hoping to apply next summer for entrance in 2020. Thanks! And if I need to post this elsewhere please let me know!

I’ve been trying for a long time to get straight answers from advisors everywhere and it’s never happened so I’m really hoping this site can help give me some direction on how I’m doing in preparing for my application.
What’s your last 45 credit hour gpa currently?? KSU is last 45 focused. They also replace grades if you’ve retaken a class.
What state are you a resident of? Kansas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I get mixed messages on what schools are looking for from online sources, my advisor, and what I read on here. I'm applying for entrance for Fall 2019, and my nerves are through the roof because I feel as if I do not have a gauge on what the "competition" is.
I was hoping to post my stats and get feedback on what you personally think? I've spoken to an Assistant Dean on the campus I am aapplying to and took a 1 on 1 tour, but I'm kind of freaking out here because of my GRE scores (quantitative). I'm retaking it on the 15th but still...

Science GPA: 3.41
Last 45 credits GPA: 3.42
LOR- (1) Bio Professer, (1) DVM, (1) Medical Proffessional, and two more professors pending
Hours: Non animal volunteer (200), Vet Experience (765), Animal Experience (9,340)
GRE: Q(46%), V(69%), A (59%)

I feel overall it seems like a very average GPA and LOR (although all three should be great), Hours are okay, I wish I had more Vet Experience (I've read some people have up to 3000!) and the GRE, well...it sucks. I'm madly studying for it at the moment lol.

Feedback?

Hi all! Applying this cycle! :)
21F, CA resident

GPA
Major: animal science
Cumulative: 3.83
Science: 3.75
Last 45: 3.98

GRE
V: 162 (91%)
Q: 160 (74%)
W: 5 (92%)

Experience
~400 vet hours (small animal)
~400 research hours
~900 animal hours (horses, wildlife, poultry)

Extracurriculars/Awards
various positions in a sorority
Dean's Honors List
scholarship recipient

LOR
1 from a professor
1 from a vet
1 from research supervisor/PI

Schools I'm Applying To
Davis, Cornell, Western, possibly Illinois and/or Penn

Concerns:
-don't have much experience compared to other applicants
-not super confident in my interview skills so I'm not sure if it would be worth applying to schools that don't take GPA/GRE into account after a certain point
-didn't work with my vet LOR in a clinical setting (he is my supervisor at a poultry farm) but he is technically a vet.. :// couldn't get a LOR from the vet I work with at the clinic because I mostly interact with the vet tech while the vet works with vet students (my internship takes place at a shelter where the vet school also holds their shelter rotation)

Thank you in advance!! <3

Last edited:
21F, CA resident

GPA

GRE

Experience
~400 research hours

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean's Honors List
scholarship recipient

LOR
1 from a professor
1 from a vet

Schools I'm Applying To

Concerns:
-not super confident in my interview skills so I'm not sure if it would be worth applying to schools that don't take GPA/GRE into account after a certain point
-didn't work with my vet LOR in a clinical setting (he is my supervisor at a poultry farm) but he is technically a vet.. :// couldn't get a LOR from the vet I work with at the clinic because I mostly interact with the vet tech while the vet works with vet students (my internship takes place at a shelter where the vet school also holds their shelter rotation)

@Coopah could tell you better your chances for Davis, but I think you have a pretty good shot, especially being in state.
I think you’d definitely have a good chance of getting an Illinois interview. Once you make it to interviews though, your great grades and gre won’t help you anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I get mixed messages on what schools are looking for from online sources, my advisor, and what I read on here. I'm applying for entrance for Fall 2019, and my nerves are through the roof because I feel as if I do not have a gauge on what the "competition" is.
I was hoping to post my stats and get feedback on what you personally think? I've spoken to an Assistant Dean on the campus I am aapplying to and took a 1 on 1 tour, but I'm kind of freaking out here because of my GRE scores (quantitative). I'm retaking it on the 15th but still...

Science GPA: 3.41
Last 45 credits GPA: 3.42
LOR- (1) Bio Professer, (1) DVM, (1) Medical Proffessional, and two more professors pending
Hours: Non animal volunteer (200), Vet Experience (765), Animal Experience (9,340)
GRE: Q(46%), V(69%), A (59%)

I feel overall it seems like a very average GPA and LOR (although all three should be great), Hours are okay, I wish I had more Vet Experience (I've read some people have up to 3000!) and the GRE, well...it sucks. I'm madly studying for it at the moment lol.

Feedback?
What schools are you applying to? What state are you a resident of? What’s your cumulative gpa?

Are all your vet hours from the same place? Or are they varied?

If it’s not on your list, Michigan State does not care about the gre at all. And doesn’t care about grades as long as you have above a 3.0 prereq and last 36 gpa. Purdue, Ohio State, and VAMD also don’t look at gre so you may think about those. Not sure what gpa they like best or what their usual average is though.

21F, CA resident

GPA

GRE

Experience
~400 research hours

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean's Honors List
scholarship recipient

LOR
1 from a professor
1 from a vet

Schools I'm Applying To

Concerns:

Yup ski is right, apply to Davis as it's your IS. You'll most likely get an interview. I understand being nervous about the interview, they make it scary on purpose, but all they really want to know is that you're a functioning human being who can communicate under stress without freaking out. I'm not sure where you are but there are practice MMIs (multiple mini interviews) offered at Davis through the pre vet club here on campus. I've helped from the vet student side of things.

Hey guys

I’m 23 and a first time applicant

Cum gpa 3.0

Last 45 3.3

Sci 3.15

BS biomedical sciences

V/154 Q/156 A/4.0

2500 hrs veterinary experience combined at small animal clinic and mixed practice clinic

200 combined large animal experience volunteering at horse stables, on family friends beef cattle ranch, and weekend feedings at large animal practice

900 hrs research in genetics lab at TAMU

3 LoRs from practicing veterinarians

Awards and honors

National Hispanic scholar in high school awarded scholarship at TAMU

Put myself through college working two jobs at a time, still graduated in 4 years. Ended up being a manager at one job.

5% or less of college costs provided by family

Had some familial and financial hardship throughout that I outline in my personal essays

What are my chances? Anyone hear of success stories like this?

Thanks everyone :)

What schools are you applying to? What state are you a resident of? What’s your cumulative gpa?

Are all your vet hours from the same place? Or are they varied?

If it’s not on your list, Michigan State does not care about the gre at all. And doesn’t care about grades as long as you have above a 3.0 prereq and last 36 gpa. Purdue, Ohio State, and VAMD also don’t look at gre so you may think about those. Not sure what gpa they like best or what their usual average is though.

I am applying to K-State and I am a resident of Kansas. All vet hours are with the same vet (I was originally planning on vareity, but I developed a close mentor bond with this veterinarian).

Hey guys

I’m 23 and a first time applicant

Cum gpa 3.0

Last 45 3.3

Sci 3.15

BS biomedical sciences

V/154 Q/156 A/4.0

2500 hrs veterinary experience combined at small animal clinic and mixed practice clinic

200 combined large animal experience volunteering at horse stables, on family friends beef cattle ranch, and weekend feedings at large animal practice

900 hrs research in genetics lab at TAMU

3 LoRs from practicing veterinarians

Awards and honors

National Hispanic scholar in high school awarded scholarship at TAMU

Put myself through college working two jobs at a time, still graduated in 4 years. Ended up being a manager at one job.

5% or less of college costs provided by family

Had some familial and financial hardship throughout that I outline in my personal essays

What are my chances? Anyone hear of success stories like this?

Thanks everyone :)

Where are you applying to? I can speak to TAMU stats and whatnot if that's somewhere you're considering.

Where are you applying to? I can speak to TAMU stats and whatnot if that's somewhere you're considering.
TAMU is probably the only school this go round because I don’t have high expectations or the funds to apply to multiple schools.

TAMU is probably the only school this go round because I don’t have high expectations or the funds to apply to multiple schools.

Definitely! I completely understand. You meet the 3 minimum GPA requirements, so your application will for sure be looked at. Knowing that TAMU is highly academics focused, it IS possible to get in with lower GPAs (speaking from experience). Your GRE scores are right at the average, if possible I would retake it and attempt to raise your scores to help offset the lower GPAs. Your vet/animal/research experience are great and I'd be surprised if you did not get full points in these sections of the app. When it comes to your TMDSAS essays and supplemental app essay, make sure to really highlight the fact that you worked through school. If you felt like working (because you financially had to) attributed to your lower grades, you need to say that as clearly and blatantly as possible. Many schools, TAMU included, are trying to take that into consideration when considering students to interview.

So in summary, since your GPA is on the lower side, the best thing you can do to make your application stand out is emphasize the fact you worked through school to provide for yourself in your essays/PS, retake the GRE if you can, and try to show diversity in your extracurricular and hobbies. These other areas of your application are where you'll need to try and shine.

I'm not sure where you are with school, but if you haven't finished your BS yet then you have some time left to try and raise your grades in senior year if you don't get in this cycle. Otherwise, TAMU does not replace grades if you retake courses, they average them so getting an A is imperative. Other options to raise your GPAs are to do a post-bacc program or get a masters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely! I completely understand. You meet the 3 minimum GPA requirements, so your application will for sure be looked at. Knowing that TAMU is highly academics focused, it IS possible to get in with lower GPAs (speaking from experience). Your GRE scores are right at the average, if possible I would retake it and attempt to raise your scores to help offset the lower GPAs. Your vet/animal/research experience are great and I'd be surprised if you did not get full points in these sections of the app. When it comes to your TMDSAS essays and supplemental app essay, make sure to really highlight the fact that you worked through school. If you felt like working (because you financially had to) attributed to your lower grades, you need to say that as clearly and blatantly as possible. Many schools, TAMU included, are trying to take that into consideration when considering students to interview.

So in summary, since your GPA is on the lower side, the best thing you can do to make your application stand out is emphasize the fact you worked through school to provide for yourself in your essays/PS, retake the GRE if you can, and try to show diversity in your extracurricular and hobbies. These other areas of your application are where you'll need to try and shine.

I'm not sure where you are with school, but if you haven't finished your BS yet then you have some time left to try and raise your grades in senior year if you don't get in this cycle. Otherwise, TAMU does not replace grades if you retake courses, they average them so getting an A is imperative. Other options to raise your GPAs are to do a post-bacc program or get a masters.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I graduated from TAMU’s BIMS program last May. So undergrad gpa is shot, but I’m totally willing to do a masters. Or I have 3 C’s in my pre reqs that I can retake if that is even advised/or helpful (both organics and biochem)
The rest of my prereqs are A’s and B’s, pretty evenly split.

As far as extracurriculars and hobbies go, what do people usually list? I don’t do a ton outside of work, the same was true of my undergrad years. Any hobby I have, I very rarely get to dedicate time to, but I’d be happy to list it on my application if it’s worthwhile.

My PS very clearly states how much I worked and struggled to balance that and my academics, and I am pretty confident it will make an impression. At least I hope... the veterinarians I work for said it made them cry, so..
But obviously that is not my intent, I didn’t want to write a sob story, I wanted to write MY story and how much I’ve overcome and how dedicated I am to the profession. So, not sure how much they weigh the essays, but I hope I get good points there.

As far as extracurriculars and hobbies go, what do people usually list? I don’t do a ton outside of work, the same was true of my undergrad years. Any hobby I have, I very rarely get to dedicate time to, but I’d be happy to list it on my application if it’s worthwhile.
Adcoms want to see that you have a life outside vetmed. I’d list whatever you can

23 year old female, CA resident, 1st time applicant

GPA Stuff
Major: Biology with minors in Chemistry and Business Administration
Cum. GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.91
Last 45 GPA: 4.00

GRE
Planning to take one more time to hopefully get my quant score up!

V: 162
Q: 153 (I know this isn't so great for UC Davis ugh)
W: 4.5

Veterinary Experience
Current job as a vet assistant where I assist in dentals/surgeries and monitor patients under anesthesia - 1000+ hours
Receptionist/vet assistant at small animal clinic - 2400 hours
Mixed animal volunteer in Kansas for two weeks (observed and assisted in cattle ultrasounds for a large cattle ranch, also assisted in exams for dogs, cats, horses, etc.) - 100 hours
Mixed animal volunteer at a clinic in southern CA - 80 hours

Non-animal related jobs
Sales associate at clothing store - 120 hours
Medical assistant for worker's comp company - 208 hours
Volunteer at a hospital - 48 hours
Babysitting - Is this something to include??

Research Experience
I took a class that qualified as undergraduate research and presented it and everything. It was not typical experiments that everyone does because I came up with my own hypothesis, etc. and went out in the field and collected data. Does this qualify as research? This is the description for the course at my university: Students work on individual research projects that apply appropriate research techniques to test hypotheses. Completion of course will require oral presentation of results.
I did research during my allotted class time but also did A LOT of outside work.

Extracurricular Activities/Awards
2 years in high school on a club rowing team - 1200 hours
1 year in college on a D1 rowing team - 2500 hours
3 years high school team and club team volleyball - need to calculate hours but roughly 2000+ hours
Boxing (not competitively, just do this at a local MMA gym for fun) - 500+ hours
Salutatorian of my high school
First and Second Dean's List for most of my undergrad semesters

LOR

1) Small animal vet/owner of the small animal practice I currently work at
2) Mixed animal vet from Kansas that I've volunteered for and is also a family friend who can speak on me as a future veterinarian and as a person
3) College professor I had multiple classes with and did research with
4) College professor (this is kind of my back up LOR)

Schools I'm Applying To:
UC Davis
Western
potentially Kansas State (my dad and grandfather both went there for vet school and I love the area and what they are doing with their program, but I'm also aware it's SUPER pricy for OOS)
...HELP I don't really know where else I should apply. Based on my stats and residency does anyone have any other recommendations of what might be a good fit for me? Right now, my interests are in small animal medicine and I would love to specialize, but I'm aware my interests could change once I'm actually in school.
Other schools I'm thinking about that look like they would be financially smart choices are TAMU, WSU and maybe NC state?

Questions
Do I include all the honors/awards I got in high school, or just the remarkable ones such as salutatorian?
See above...need recommendations on what schools might be a good fit for me?

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited:

GPA Stuff

GRE

Veterinary Experience
Current job as a vet assistant where I assist in dentals/surgeries and monitor patients under anesthesia - 1000+ hours
Mixed animal volunteer in Kansas for two weeks (observed and assisted in cattle ultrasounds for a large cattle ranch, also assisted in exams for dogs, cats, horses, etc.) - 100 hours

Non-animal related jobs

Research Experience
I took a class that qualified as undergraduate research and presented it and everything. It was not typical experiments that everyone does because I came up with my own hypothesis, etc. and went out in the field and collected data. Does this qualify as research? This is the description for the course at my university: Students work on individual research projects that apply appropriate research techniques to test hypotheses. Completion of course will require oral presentation of results.
I did research during my allotted class time but also did A LOT of outside work.

3 years high school team and club team volleyball - need to calculate hours but roughly 2000+ hours
Boxing (not competitively, just do this at a local MMA gym for fun) - 500+ hours

LOR

2) Mixed animal vet from Kansas that I've volunteered for and is also a family friend who can speak on me as a future veterinarian and as a person

Schools I'm Applying To:
UC Davis
Western
potentially Kansas State (my dad and grandfather both went there for vet school and I love the area and what they are doing with their program, but I'm also aware it's SUPER pricy for OOS)
...HELP I don't really know where else I should apply. Based on my stats and residency does anyone have any other recommendations of what might be a good fit for me? Right now, my interests are in small animal medicine and I would love to specialize, but I'm aware my interests could change once I'm actually in school.
Other schools I'm thinking about that look like they would be financially smart choices are TAMU, WSU and maybe NC state?

Questions
Do I include all the honors/awards I got in high school, or just the remarkable ones such as salutatorian?

Thanks so much!!!
Definitely look at applying to the schools that allow you to change residency. You listed two, but mizzou also does and so do Ohio State (though still relatively pricey, especially for the first year) and I think Minnesota might allow you too???

And I’d include all honors in both hs and college. I’d probably even include the babysitting personally.

@Coopah could give you her idea of your chances for Davis. I think she also applied to KSU too?

Thanks so much for your reply!

I graduated from TAMU’s BIMS program last May. So undergrad gpa is shot, but I’m totally willing to do a masters. Or I have 3 C’s in my pre reqs that I can retake if that is even advised/or helpful (both organics and biochem)
The rest of my prereqs are A’s and B’s, pretty evenly split.

My PS very clearly states how much I worked and struggled to balance that and my academics, and I am pretty confident it will make an impression. At least I hope... the veterinarians I work for said it made them cry, so..
But obviously that is not my intent, I didn’t want to write a sob story, I wanted to write MY story and how much I’ve overcome and how dedicated I am to the profession. So, not sure how much they weigh the essays, but I hope I get good points there.

I graduated from TAMU with a BS and MS in BIMS. I HIGHLY recommend the BIMS MS program if that's something you're interested in. You can look back on some of my previous posts where I've talked about what I liked about it. For me personally, I felt like I could get more out of an MS than retaking courses and I'd have more credit hours to add to improving my last 45 hrs GPA and science GPA (the 2 they rank the highest). But, it is more time consuming and more expensive to do that, so it's really up to you there.

Adcoms want to see that you have a life outside vetmed. I’d list whatever you can

Absolutely this.

I've never been completely positive on when in the process they look at the essays... all I know for sure is once you've interviewed, they go back and re-look at the personal statements and recalculate GPAs with the fall semester grades and those two things along with how you did in the interview determine if you're offered a seat. It sounds like you're in a good place with your essays though.

not OP but would this include things you've done in high school too? (sports teams, etc)

not OP but would this include things you've done in high school too? (sports teams, etc)
I listed them. They said list relevant things from hs too, so I did. The two sports I did I’ve been doing since I was really young so I felt like they needed to be in my app because it’s part of who I am.

Hi - just going to chime in here and inquire about how you were able to set up a campus tour at UPenn? I emailed them several months ago and was told they do not do that sort of thing. (I could've misunderstood though)

I just called them a month or so ago. I spoke with a guy named Rob. He's a really nice guy. I'd call again and see what you can set up.

Definitely figure out your last 36 credit hour gpa. Msu will not even look at the rest of your app if your prereq and last 36 gpa are not at least a 3.0. Once you meet that, they don’t care about gpa anymore so you’d have a better chance then. Contact MSU and ask if you’re not sure about which of your classes would be included. I would think that your study abroad classes would still count since they are classes from a college/university somewhere in the world.
Thank you! I will try to calculate that. The only reason I thought it wouldn't count is because my own school that I graduated from doesn't count it in any GPA calculations since it wasn't taken there. It's on my transcript, but not in GPA calculations.

GPA Stuff

GRE

Veterinary Experience

Non-animal related jobs

Research Experience

LOR

Schools I'm Applying To:
UC Davis
Western

Questions

Thanks so much!!!
Definitely look at applying to the schools that allow you to change residency. You listed two, but mizzou also does and so do Ohio State (though still relatively pricey, especially for the first year) and I think Minnesota might allow you too???

And I’d include all honors in both hs and college. I’d probably even include the babysitting personally.

@Coopah could give you her idea of your chances for Davis. I think she also applied to KSU too?
First off include everything that's what they want. Your choices are good. Your GRE isn't horrible but if you can improve it why not? Mainly your GPA is great, I expect to see you for an interview in December. The interview is all that matters so practice!

Thank you! I will try to calculate that. The only reason I thought it wouldn't count is because my own school that I graduated from doesn't count it in any GPA calculations since it wasn't taken there. It's on my transcript, but not in GPA calculations.
You’d also proooooobably have to get a transcript from that school or whatever school is giving the credits if there aren’t grades on your home school transcript. Vmcas wants EVERY transcript from EVERY school you’ve ever attended, even if it was taking college classes in high school.

Hey everyone. I’ve only made a few posts on here but I figured I’d give this a shot. I’m really not feeling to great about my application. I wasn’t even considering applying to international vet schools until this summer. I’m from Canada and I can only apply to one school here, which happens to be extremely competitive. As such, my choices are very limited because I do not meet the prerequisites for most schools in the US.

Background
22 year old female from Canada. First time applicant. Somewhat non-trad. Decided I wanted to be a vet in my 2nd year of university. I had to switch majors and take some high school courses. I actually took university level biology and chemistry before taking grade 12 bio and chem.

GPA
BScH
Major: Biology
Minor: Environmental Science
Last 45: 4.0
Cumulative: 4.0
Science: 4.0

GRE
I just took it today and got a measly unofficial score of V: 155 Q: 150. I took it after a week of studying with the intention of leaving myself enough time to take it again. I’ll be travelling 2 hours to the US to take it again at the end of August. For anyone reading this in the future, book multiple test dates way in advance! You can always cancel later.

Vet Experience

Low. I’m anticipating anywhere between 150-200 hours at the time I submit my application.

40 hours - small animal clinic job shadowing and observing surgeries
~100 hours - small animal clinic job shadowing several different vets in appointments. I’ve just been told I can come in and watch some surgeries as well. Possibly shadowing an ophthalmologist in surgery.
~50 hours - I’m about to start volunteering at a non-profit low-income clinic doing admissions, discharge, instrument prep, watching animals after surgery.

Animal Experience
~1000 hours - intern at a wildlife hospital. Duties included: syringe feeding orphans, tube feeding birds, vaccinations, sq fluids, im injections, physical exams, diet prep, etc.
~200 hours - turtle hospital volunteer. Weighed and fed turtles in addition to cleaning tanks.
190 hours - volunteer at another wildlife centre syringe feeding baby squirrels
~300 hours - animal attendant at a dog daycare
40 hours - vermiculture volunteer (I’m assuming I can place invertebrate work under animal experience)
4 hours (a few more by time of application) - llama pen volunteer at a local zoo. Walking llamas, supervising bunny pit, fundraising
22 years of having animal family members. Not sure how many hours, if any at all, I should at to my application

Extracurriculars/Awards
-Varsity rower my freshman year
-Novice synchronized swim team 3 years in university
-VP of the future vet club at my school for one year
-Member of animal equity club and wildlife society club
-Prestigious scholarship award+ entrance scholarship
-Graduated on the presidents honour roll and dean’s honour roll

Last 10 years (excluding university extracurriculars/awards mentioned above:
-Teams: water polo, swimming, rugby, rowing, cross country, track and field
-Clubs: student council rep, band, environment club (went to a few conferences), student ambasssadors, scrapbooking,
-Awards: honour roll every year, lieutenant governor’s award for community service
-Unrelated to school: took part in an art mural project in a high-risk neighbourhood and helped open a bookbank in the same neighbourhood, a few community garden projects

LORs
-My dogs vet who I’m also shadowing at a clinic
-A professor I had for behavioural ecology and ornithology, A’s in both. (we didn’t talk much but she knows who I am, which is more than I can say about all of my other profs)
-Turtle care manager at the turtle hospital
-Possibly the intern coordinator from the wildlife centre where I worked ~1000 hours
-Hoping to get a reference from someone at the new clinic where I start volunteering tomorrow

Diversity/Hurdles?
I know some of the essay questions ask about this so I thought I’d include it in here. I wanted to be a vet back in kindergarten but was convinced otherwise. I had severe asthma growing up and was told I should never play sports or have animals. I was also the only child of a single parent and often went to work with her late nights. Not sure if admissions committees care about this or if I should include these stories. I don’t want them to think I’m looking for pity.

Applying to: OVC, Cornell, Iowa, SGU

I’m really hoping to get into Cornell because I’ve heard it’s a great place for anyone wanting to go into wildlife med.

Thanks for reading all of this! I’d appreciate any feedback. :)

Last edited:
I’m really hoping to get into Cornell because I’ve heard it’s a great place for anyone wanting to go into wildlife med.
GO FOR THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL. If OVC is your in province school (or if you get resident tuition), GO THERE IF YOU GET IN. Please please please look at the tuition cost difference between OOS in the US and Canadian resident prices. It is not worth it to go into an extra 150 THOUSAND dollars of debt just to go to a specific school that supposedly is better for one specific area of vetmed.
You will still get a great education no matter where you go and if your school allows offsite rotations you can find cool wildlife experiences then. But it is NOT worth the extra debt just to go to Cornell because it’s supposedly good for wildlife. You will thank yourself further down the line if you minimize your student debt.

GO FOR THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL. If OVC is your in province school (or if you get resident tuition), GO THERE IF YOU GET IN. Please please please look at the tuition cost difference between OOS in the US and Canadian resident prices. It is not worth it to go into an extra 150 THOUSAND dollars of debt just to go to a specific school that supposedly is better for one specific area of vetmed.
You will still get a great education no matter where you go and if your school allows offsite rotations you can find cool wildlife experiences then. But it is NOT worth the extra debt just to go to Cornell because it’s supposedly good for wildlife. You will thank yourself further down the line if you minimize your student debt.
I really don’t want to come out of school hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. My first choice would be OVC in my province. I’m just not sure how feasible that would be. I have an 85% average and this year people with 90%+ have been getting rejected. Guelph is solely based on marks and if I don’t make the top 200 cut, I will get rejected without an interview. That’s the only reason why I started looking at schools out of the country. I can’t see myself doing anything else with my life and after 4 years of undergrad, there aren’t any more courses I can take at an upper level to boost my mark. If I return to school, there’s a very good chance I’ll lower my gpa and then I definitely won’t be considered for OVC. So I’m in a bit of a pickle. I don’t have the prerequisites to apply to many US schools and I don’t want to return to university full-time to take these prerequisites and risk lowering my gpa for OVC. I’m currently taking two prerequisites over the summer and will have to take a third in January just to apply to the schools I’m applying to this year. Apart from OVC, Cornell is the closest to home. It’s only a 5 hour drive from here and I’d much rather stay close to where I live now than have to take a flight to SGU or Iowa. You’re definitely right though. Coming out of vet school with low debt is better than high debt. If only vets made as much as human doctors..

I really don’t want to come out of school hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. My first choice would be OVC in my province. I’m just not sure how feasible that would be. I have an 85% average and this year people with 90%+ have been getting rejected. Guelph is solely based on marks and if I don’t make the top 200 cut, I will get rejected without an interview. That’s the only reason why I started looking at schools out of the country. I can’t see myself doing anything else with my life and after 4 years of undergrad, there aren’t any more courses I can take at an upper level to boost my mark. If I return to school, there’s a very good chance I’ll lower my gpa and then I definitely won’t be considered for OVC. So I’m in a bit of a pickle. I don’t have the prerequisites to apply to many US schools and I don’t want to return to university full-time to take these prerequisites and risk lowering my gpa for OVC. I’m currently taking two prerequisites over the summer and will have to take a third in January just to apply to the schools I’m applying to this year. Apart from OVC, Cornell is the closest to home. It’s only a 5 hour drive from here and I’d much rather stay close to where I live now than have to take a flight to SGU or Iowa. You’re definitely right though. Coming out of vet school with low debt is better than high debt. If only vets made as much as human doctors..
I totally understand not having too many options and going to whatever school you get accepted to, I was just making sure you wouldn’t turn down an OVC offer JUST because Cornell also offered a spot and you have heard they have a good wildlife program. There are some crazy people on this website who will turn down 25k/year to go somewhere that’s 50k/year just because it’s their “dream school”
Also, an 85% average is a 4.0?? That’s crazy if so

I totally understand not having too many options and going to whatever school you get accepted to, I was just making sure you wouldn’t turn down an OVC offer JUST because Cornell also offered a spot and you have heard they have a good wildlife program. There are some crazy people on this website who will turn down 25k/year to go somewhere that’s 50k/year just because it’s their “dream school”
Also, an 85% average is a 4.0?? That’s crazy if so
I wouldn’t turn down the cheaper option if I got the choice. I’d rather not have debt on my mind for the rest of my life.

According to VMCAS, any Canadian grade 80% and up is considered a 4.0! Not sure how it is in the US but 80s and 90s are considered A’s. Still struggling with credit weighting since it’s different in Canada. I might have to enter all my grades as 3 semester credits and have either vmcas or the schools figure out how they want to change my gpa.

I wouldn’t turn down the cheaper option if I got the choice. I’d rather not have debt on my mind for the rest of my life.

According to VMCAS, any Canadian grade 80% and up is considered a 4.0! Not sure how it is in the US but 80s and 90s are considered A’s. Still struggling with credit weighting since it’s different in Canada. I might have to enter all my grades as 3 semester credits and have either vmcas or the schools figure out how they want to change my gpa.
90% and above is an A in the US. 80’s is a B, 70’s is a C.

Reactions: 1 users
90% and above is an A in the US. 80’s is a B, 70’s is a C.
That’s rough...in Canada 90% and above is an A+, 85-89% is an A and 80-84% is an A- According to vmcas conversions 80%+ is a 4.0, 70-79 is a 3.0, 60-69 is a 2.0.

Could someone also help me? I'm kinda panicking.
Overall GPA: 3.7 (i got 1 C :()
Science GPA: 3.5
GRE 155V/153 Q
I'm applying to Tuskegee, UGA, and NCSU

400 hours avian research
500 hours emergency exotic clinic
100 hours stable hand
100 hours Equine Instructor Assistant
300 hours FFA Competitions ( poultry judging and creed speaking)
75 hours volunteering at the humane society

Extra Curricular
FFA Student advisor back in high school
executive board member of a club on campus
Golden Key National Honor Society
Pre-Veterinary Medicine Scholars Program

GRE 155V/153 Q

400 hours avian research
100 hours stable hand

Extra Curricular
WhTs your last 45 gpa
What state are you a resident of

GRE 155V/153 Q

400 hours avian research
100 hours stable hand

Extra Curricular
Are you able to afford more applications?
Not to be a downer, but I don't know how competitive your application would be for NCSU. Since they do not interview, you really need to stand out on paper. It would be a great one to get into but you're up against a lot of other people.

Does anyone know how much NCSU looks at GRE scores? I got a good verbal and a good analytical score, but a 155 on the quantitative section, and the average listed on their site is 157 for nonresidents. For quantitative the average admitted applicant is listed in the 66th percentile and my score is the 58th. So my scores are below their average for quant but above for the other two. I'm not sure if I should try to take it again or not. Any advice?

Does anyone know how much NCSU looks at GRE scores? I got a good verbal and a good analytical score, but a 155 on the quantitative section, and the average listed on their site is 157 for nonresidents. For quantitative the average admitted applicant is listed in the 66th percentile and my score is the 58th. So my scores are below their average for quant but above for the other two. I'm not sure if I should try to take it again or not. Any advice?
Would you even have time to take it again for ncsu? I thought they had to be to ncsu BY the sept 15 vmcas deadline?

Would you even have time to take it again for ncsu? I thought they had to be to ncsu BY the sept 15 vmcas deadline?
I should have clarified, I'm applying next cycle. I took it a little early because I have a heavy course load this year and I'm away on an internship next summer, so I thought this would be the best time.

I should have clarified, I'm applying next cycle. I took it a little early because I have a heavy course load this year and I'm away on an internship next summer, so I thought this would be the best time.
Ahh better

If you think you could study well and bump your score a bit to be over the average, it probably wouldn’t hurt, especially with how competitive NCSU is because of the possibility of changing residency.
But remember, an average means there are people both above and below that number. If your gpa is great and you have a ton of varied experience, being a little lower in one category of the gre, may not be the tipping point. I didn’t apply to ncsu so I wouldn’t be able to tell you your chances based on stats, but I do know that they are one of the more competitive schools because of the possibility of IS tuition, so increasing your gre certainly wouldn’t hurt if you have the time to study and the money to spend on the test.

Hi Guys!
I'm at rock bottom so to speak. I'm completely crushed and feeling like a failure because I feel as though applying would be a waste of money and time knowing I wouldn't get in anywhere in the states.
I have a cGPA of 3.08 with two semesters left
I have not taken the GRE
all of my C grades are in biology courses

I don't know what to do or if I should just give up on becoming a vet.

Hi Guys!
I'm at rock bottom so to speak. I'm completely crushed and feeling like a failure because I feel as though applying would be a waste of money and time knowing I wouldn't get in anywhere in the states.
I have a cGPA of 3.08 with two semesters left
I have not taken the GRE
all of my C grades are in biology courses

I don't know what to do or if I should just give up on becoming a vet.
I can totally understand that feeling. If you look at the successful applicants threads from the past, there have been people with lower gpas that still got accepted. Try not to lose hope! How are your more recent grades? Some schools don’t consider cGPA at all so you may want to take a closer look at school-specific selection criteria. From what I can tell, experience plays a large part of the admissions decisions. Were you planning on applying this year?

Hey guys. As I'm just finishing up my applications, I'm starting to feel slightly overwhelmed. Any input would be great. I will be going into my senior year of undergrad, and I'm from PA.

My biggest concern is not having enough vet hours.

GPA

• Major: Biology
  • Cumulative: 3.9
  • Science: 3.95
  • Last 45: 3.95
GRE
  • V: 155
  • Q: 155
  • W: 4.5
Experience
Vet:
  • ~300 total between a small animal clinic and a mixed animal clinic/ambulatory service
Animal:
  • 40 hours shadowing my horse farrier
  • 100 hours volunteering at local animal shelter
  • 860 hours volunteering at a large equine facility
  • >5000 hours spent showing horses (PtHA, AQHA, 4H, etc)
  • I also put hours in for my own animals (poultry, horses, guinea pigs, etc)
  • 90 hours in using my miniature horse as a therapy animal
Extra-curricular:
  • President of college's equestrian club for 2 years, VP for half a year
  • Member of college's PAWS club (volunteering at local shelter and college animal events)
  • Member/future treasurer of college's pre-vet club
  • ~40 hours for varying volunteer work through the school
  • Committee member and now acting student director of a Special Olympics Event that takes place on campus. (~300 hours)
Research:
  • ~400 hours for lab work - data was used in publications, and we worked with our own experiments
  • Will be doing 1 credit of research work next year
Awards
Deans List every semester so far
Variety of high point/state/national titles in different horse show associations
Discovery FFA degree
Valedictorian in high school, NHS

I am applying to Penn, Cornell, and Virginia-Maryland.

Cornell is my top choice right now as I'm most interested in mixed animal medicine/equine.

Last edited:
Cornell is my top choice right now as I'm most interested in mixed animal medicine/equine.
Go wherever is cheapest out of any options if you get accepted to multiple places. Don’t just choose a school because you think it’s your dream school. You’ll get a great education wherever you go, but saving a hundred thousand or fifty thousand in loans? You’ll thank yourself in the future.

Second time applicant, PA resident, currently taking a gap year, 22 years old

Overall GPA: 3.6
Last 45: 3.8
Science: 3.5

GRE: 154,148, 4 (not great I know :/)

Vet Experiences:
600 hour (and continuing) - small animal clinic
1,000+ hours - receptionist at vet school where I graduated
70 hours: large animal vet (mainly pigs)
50 hours: other small animal shadowing hours

Research: (I hope to go in to biomedical/ veterinary research)
700 hours: reproduction/embryology/gene cloning ( had 2 of my own projects)
50 hours: horse ligaments and stressors

Animal:
50 hours: pet sitting
70 hours: cleaning pig stalls
50 hours: volunteering at various animal shelters
5 hours: volunteer at horse rescue
5 hours: volunteer at llama farm

Other:
Pre Vet Club
TA for Anatomy
TA for multiple first year experience courses (presented at conference for this)
Packer at Snyder's Pretzel Company
Walgreen's
high school sports and other volunteer stuff

LOR's: 2 veterinarians, vet school boss, research prof

Second time applicant, PA resident, currently taking a gap year, 22 years old

Overall GPA: 3.6
Last 45: 3.8
Science: 3.5

GRE: 154,148, 4 (not great I know :/)

Vet Experiences:
600 hour (and continuing) - small animal clinic
1,000+ hours - receptionist at vet school where I graduated
70 hours: large animal vet (mainly pigs)
50 hours: other small animal shadowing hours

Research: (I hope to go in to biomedical/ veterinary research)
700 hours: reproduction/embryology/gene cloning ( had 2 of my own projects)
50 hours: horse ligaments and stressors

Animal:
50 hours: pet sitting
70 hours: cleaning pig stalls
50 hours: volunteering at various animal shelters
5 hours: volunteer at horse rescue
5 hours: volunteer at llama farm

Other:
Pre Vet Club
TA for Anatomy
TA for multiple first year experience courses (presented at conference for this)
Packer at Snyder's Pretzel Company
Walgreen's
high school sports and other volunteer stuff

LOR's: 2 veterinarians, vet school boss, research prof
Where are you planning on applying?

Illinois, Auburn, Virginia Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, UF, and I guess UPenn
I can only speak about UPenn, but I think your verbal is probably fine for them, but your quant is a little low. Your gpa is ok, but the last 45 is really good, so that may offset the lower quant. Looks like you have decent experience too. You should call the admissions counselors and see what they think, they will have a better idea of how you stand. Do you have time to retake the gre?

Hi! Curious what y'all think my chances are.

Overall GPA: 3.8 (All A's except for B's in Chem 1, 2, Orgo, and Biochem)
GRE 163V/150Q
I'm applying in state to CSU, out of state to Washington, Utah (2+2 program)

Veterinary
750 hours vet tech for large animals
110 hours mixed practice
50 equine
100 hours small animal
50 hours exotic
160 hours state public health

Research
400 hours employed with veterinary reseracher
50 hours individual project

Animal contact
>4,000 hours livestock contact (4H, FFA, misc jobs)

Volunteer
~300 hours non-animal volunteer for various projects

Hi! Curious what y'all think my chances are.

Overall GPA: 3.8 (All A's except for B's in Chem 1, 2, Orgo, and Biochem)
GRE 163V/150Q
I'm applying in state to CSU, out of state to Washington, Utah (2+2 program)

Veterinary
750 hours vet tech for large animals
110 hours mixed practice
50 equine
100 hours small animal
50 hours exotic
160 hours state public health

Research
400 hours employed with veterinary reseracher
50 hours individual project

Animal contact
>4,000 hours livestock contact (4H, FFA, misc jobs)

Volunteer
~300 hours non-animal volunteer for various projects
What’s your last 45 gpa and science gpa

You’d also proooooobably have to get a transcript from that school or whatever school is giving the credits if there aren’t grades on your home school transcript. Vmcas wants EVERY transcript from EVERY school you’ve ever attended, even if it was taking college classes in high school.

The grades are on my home school transcript! They just don't calculate it into the GPA. And I haven't sent a transcript from my study abroad school to VMCAS because according to this article (Study Abroad and Overseas US Institution Transcripts) I don't have to. I didn't study at a university on the list, and I didn't study via another US institution, I used a third-party program.

Status
Not open for further replies.