This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will vet schools hold it against me that I have taken numerous gap semesters? I've had mental health issues (ongoing, still trying to get the right diagnosis) and 1 surgery that have caused quite a few gaps in my transcripts. I suppose I'm trying everything I can to stop talking myself out of vet school because I'm mentally struggling in my senior year. I graduate in 2019, I should have actually graduated in 2014 if I wasn't constantly having breakdowns. I know that I've been on the path I'm supposed to go but I constantly feel like I'm being blocked by something every now and then. It sucks because veterinary medicine is the only thing I can see myself doing, but I'm constantly fighting myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Will vet schools hold it against me that I have taken numerous gap semesters? I've had mental health issues (ongoing, still trying to get the right diagnosis) and 1 surgery that have caused quite a few gaps in my transcripts. I suppose I'm trying everything I can to stop talking myself out of vet school because I'm mentally struggling in my senior year. I graduate in 2019, I should have actually graduated in 2014 if I wasn't constantly having breakdowns. I know that I've been on the path I'm supposed to go but I constantly feel like I'm being blocked by something every now and then. It sucks because veterinary medicine is the only thing I can see myself doing, but I'm constantly fighting myself.
I do not recommend applying until you have your mental health in your control as best it can be. These four years bring out every mental insecurity and is exhausting on all counts, so if you don't have the right combination of therapy right now, it would be detrimental to your health. Schools do not want to put this kind of pressure on students without knowing they have healthy outlets and help for how intense things can get. Take time to get your house in order, then consider applying is my advice. Hang in there, and keep working on finding out what you need to have mostly good days. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who was struggling with a serious mental illness in both undergrad and vet school, to the point where my grades slipped so much that I ended up being straight up dismissed from my vet school, as well as someone who was also admittedly extremely burnt out by the end of undergrad... I think you need to get it under control before jumping in headfirst.

The pressure cooker environment of vet school will almost certainly take your health issues and magnify them tenfold. Even students who are mentally fit and excited to be in vet school struggle mightily at times. I really think that it is in your best interest to wait it out a cycle or two, or however long it takes. If you're concerned about it enough to ask this question, honestly, I'd err on the side of caution.

As for the gap years, I don't think that that will be too much of a hurdle for you as long as you're candid in discussing what you were dealing with at the time during any interviews that you may have. The Explanation Statement on VMCAS may also be useful in this circumstance.

Be well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users

FWIW - I took several gap years - one after high school, one in the middle of undergrad, and 2 (1 if you don't count the cycle during which I applied) after undergrad, and so far (waiting on 8 more schools) I've been offered an interview at KSU and waitlisted for one at VMCVM with GPAs in every category lower than 3.2. All of those gap years have been accounted for with significant and diverse experience hours, though (small & large animal, research, and government). I did not use the explanation statement during this round of applications. So I don't think you'd necessarily be screwing yourself by taking a gap year or anything like that if you're looking for some reassurance in that category. I'll get back to you if I actually get into any schools :p

As most have responded though, put your mental health first. You should aim to be in relatively good shape by the time you get to vet school, because it will be extremely mentally and emotionally taxing. Having a (healthy) support system is important. The latter is something I learned the hard way. But hey, I've gotten this far and that has to mean something! I wouldn't be here without my SDN friends, so any time you need advice or support please don't hesitate to come to any of us.

I have another question...

Before I decided to stop letting anything get in my way of becoming a vet I was in nursing school at a university. I struggled with it because I realized it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life so after my first semester I didn't continue with the program. However, I did not do good in my first semester, and failed two courses. I was on academic probation (Because I only had three actual courses taken at the school, 1 I made an A in, and two I failed) but I transferred to another school with an actual biology program. I don't want to omit the fact I failed my first semester of nursing school, but I was wondering if having that academic probation status from the other school will hurt me at all? Kind of expecting a "duuuuh" but I'm not sure what to do because I don't go there anymore, and cannot change my status there without taking courses I don't actually need. My university I transferred to had no issues but I just want to be sure.

Also mind you, nursing school isn't apart of my last 45 hours. I was in nursing school in 2016.

I have another question...

Before I decided to stop letting anything get in my way of becoming a vet I was in nursing school at a university. I struggled with it because I realized it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life so after my first semester I didn't continue with the program. However, I did not do good in my first semester, and failed two courses. I was on academic probation (Because I only had three actual courses taken at the school, 1 I made an A in, and two I failed) but I transferred to another school with an actual biology program. I don't want to omit the fact I failed my first semester of nursing school, but I was wondering if having that academic probation status from the other school will hurt me at all? Kind of expecting a "duuuuh" but I'm not sure what to do because I don't go there anymore, and cannot change my status there without taking courses I don't actually need. My university I transferred to had no issues but I just want to be sure.

Also mind you, nursing school isn't apart of my last 45 hours. I was in nursing school in 2016.
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Might be something to put in an explanation statement just to be sure there isn't confusion about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Might be something to put in an explanation statement just to be sure there isn't confusion about it.

This is what I was hoping for! My university I transferred to was aware of my previous school, and were totally fine with it as long as I had written a statement to why I was transferring and what happened during that semester

hello just looking for some realistic views/where to apply/what to do now

Cum GPA: 2.8 (about a 3.0 with online classes not at my university if you know what to do with that haha)
Last 45: 4.0
Pre req GPA: (with retakes) 3.8
Major: Dual in Environmental Science (conc. in aquatic conservation) & Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

22F at application cycle (next fall!)

Experience:
1500+ hours research (about 1000 with animals) (independent, published research study with microbes)
400 hours wildlife clinic (not a vet shadow though but w/ medicine involved)
100 hours on farm (horses not cows)
400 kennel
2000 vet assistant shelter
300 vet assistant small animal (100 emergency)
300 zoo shadowing
500 science center educating kids
70 shadowing farm vet
100 working on a farm
10 shadowing lab vet
5 shadowing a nurse (idk why not lol)
100 shadowing various small animal vets
200 volunteering in hospital (teaching kiddos about nature and animals)
700 manager at a dining hall at school
100 volunteering with horses (nbd but they scare the absolute heck out of me hahahah)
5 hours shadowing vet radiographer (okay idk the exact proper word but the x-ray analyzer)

other:
CNA (certified nursing assistant)
mentor in health sciences
CPR certified
Scuba certified
pre-vet club
student food organization
campus farm volunteer

Letters of req:
microbiology professor
shelter vet
lab animal vet
zoo vet
small animal vet
hospital volunteer coordinator

where should I apply/what else can I do that doesn't require more school? Because like school is crazy $$

i feel like my experience is adequate, right? but kind of stuck with that sub-3.0 and majorly caught up on it :(

absolutely not. if you show that you have overcome your mental struggles, that's something to write about in your personal statement. get help. they won't want to subject you to the pressures of vet school if you are struggling. You need to take the time to heal and seek out help, and then prove that you are capable of going to vet school. best of luck, sorry it has been tough ):

Cum GPA: 2.8 (about a 3.0 with online classes not at my university if you know what to do with that haha)
Major: Dual in Environmental Science (conc. in aquatic conservation) & Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

Experience:
1500+ hours research (about 1000 with animals) (independent, published research study with microbes)
400 kennel
300 zoo shadowing
70 shadowing farm vet
100 working on a farm
10 shadowing lab vet
100 volunteering with horses (nbd but they scare the absolute heck out of me hahahah)
5 hours shadowing vet radiographer (okay idk the exact proper word but the x-ray analyzer)

other:
CPR certified
Scuba certified
pre-vet club
campus farm volunteer

Letters of req:
microbiology professor
shelter vet
lab animal vet
zoo vet
small animal vet

where should I apply/what else can I do that doesn't require more school? Because like school is crazy $$

i feel like my experience is adequate, right? but kind of stuck with that sub-3.0 and majorly caught up on it :(
What state are you a resident of?

Members don't see this ad :)

Experience:
400 kennel
300 zoo shadowing
70 shadowing farm vet
100 working on a farm
10 shadowing lab vet

other:
CPR certified
Scuba certified
pre-vet club
campus farm volunteer

Letters of req:
microbiology professor
shelter vet
lab animal vet
zoo vet
small animal vet

Double check with VMCAS (the application service) about how they will calculate your GPA, and with any schools that have a 3.0 minimum to see if your online courses will help you. Having at least a 3.0 will open up a few more schools for you to apply to - a 2.8 cumulative will automatically make you ineligible for some schools like NCSU.

Also check with every. single. school. about what they do with retakes - some will take your more recent scores but many will average them, which will lower your pre-req GPA. General advice would be to focus on schools that have a strong emphasis on or only consider your more recent grades or allow for replacement of pre-req grades.

I don't know all schools off hand, but VMCVM will consider your app unless their admissions standards have changed. I believe that MSU, UC Davis, Western, MWU, Ross, and SGU will also consider an app with your GPA. (Current students can correct me if I'm wrong.) You'll have stiff competition from higher GPA students so make sure that your LORs and essays are exemplary.

There are probably more schools that will consider an app with a 2.8 cumulative GPA - do some leg work and go through the admissions requirements of every school and build yourself a list of ones where you are eligible to apply. Keep in mind that many of the schools I listed are some of the most expensive, so keep that in mind when you are applying.

If you are able, also consider taking a gap year to establish residency in a state with a vet school if you are not a resident of one already - you can improve your chances of admission and save hundreds of thousands of dollars if you are admitted as an in-state student at many schools.

Experience:
400 kennel
300 zoo shadowing
70 shadowing farm vet
100 working on a farm
10 shadowing lab vet

other:
CPR certified
Scuba certified
pre-vet club
campus farm volunteer

Letters of req:
microbiology professor
shelter vet
lab animal vet
zoo vet
small animal vet

What was your science GPA? Just take all you biology/chemistry/physics/ecology/ect. classes and average the grades and that'll tell you.

hi guys, not sure if this is in the right place but was just looking for a general idea of whether i'm on the right path or not! here goes.....

Cum GPA: hopefully around a 3.5 when I graduate this summer
Last 45: prospectively a 3.79
Science GPA: prospectively a 3.49
Major: Animal Sciences with a Bio minor

Experience (so far):
Research- 42 hours in a genetics lab (not sure if this counts)

Animal experience:
Small animal: kennel worker (about 150 hours and counting)
Large animal: 44 hours sheep and goats, 44 hours swine, 44 hours equine on our university farm (animal care as well as medical treatments)

Veterinary experience:
Small animal: 558 hours as a veterinary receptionist, and 20 hours shadowing (lol)
Exotics: 238 hours at a study abroad program at the Belize zoo

Extracurricular:
captain (president) of my university dance team
member of another competitive dance team

GRES:
on a practice test if i remember correctly i got in the 150-160 range on everything, but i'm studying for it now so i should be able to bring those scores up

other info:
next semester i'm trying to find a job as a technician, and volunteer at my local shelter if time permits. after i graduate in the summer of 2019, i'll be moving to florida to take a gap year. ideally i'll be working full time as a technician, as well as volunteer with local rescues and shelters. i plan to apply to UF as an in state applicant in the 2020 application cycle (will be 23f)

i feel like everyone i meet in prevet has been working at an animal hospital/shelter for the past 2045309 years, but will i be in ok shape after a gap year of full time work and volunteering? also will my gpa put me at a severe disadvantage? pls be harsh and honest so i can reevaluate what needs to be done in the next two years!

thanks guys, it means a lot that you're taking the time to read this and put my mind at ease T.T

hi guys, not sure if this is in the right place but was just looking for a general idea of whether i'm on the right path or not! here goes.....

Cum GPA: hopefully around a 3.5 when I graduate this summer
Last 45: prospectively a 3.79
Science GPA: prospectively a 3.49
Major: Animal Sciences with a Bio minor

Experience (so far):
Research- 42 hours in a genetics lab (not sure if this counts)

Animal experience:
Small animal: kennel worker (about 150 hours and counting)
Large animal: 44 hours sheep and goats, 44 hours swine, 44 hours equine on our university farm (animal care as well as medical treatments)

Veterinary experience:
Small animal: 558 hours as a veterinary receptionist, and 20 hours shadowing (lol)
Exotics: 238 hours at a study abroad program at the Belize zoo

Extracurricular:
captain (president) of my university dance team
member of another competitive dance team

GRES:
on a practice test if i remember correctly i got in the 150-160 range on everything, but i'm studying for it now so i should be able to bring those scores up

other info:
next semester i'm trying to find a job as a technician, and volunteer at my local shelter if time permits. after i graduate in the summer of 2019, i'll be moving to florida to take a gap year. ideally i'll be working full time as a technician, as well as volunteer with local rescues and shelters. i plan to apply to UF as an in state applicant in the 2020 application cycle (will be 23f)

i feel like everyone i meet in prevet has been working at an animal hospital/shelter for the past 2045309 years, but will i be in ok shape after a gap year of full time work and volunteering? also will my gpa put me at a severe disadvantage? pls be harsh and honest so i can reevaluate what needs to be done in the next two years!

thanks guys, it means a lot that you're taking the time to read this and put my mind at ease T.T

My pre-veterinary advisor told me that receptionist positions at a veterinary clinic do NOT count as "veterinary experience hours". Because you aren't actually doing anything where a veterinarian is observing you. Shadowing counts but receptionist doesn't. Veterinary reception just counts as work experience as far as I know.

If you are worried about experience, I was pretty low on my experience hours too. I currently have 3 interviews (Midwestern, WSU, CSU) and I was rejected to UC Davis (I think that was more GPA related though because I am OOS). Try not to focus too much on what other people do (I know I did the same thing all the time). Your experience at the Belize zoo is super unique and will likely catch a few eyes though.

My pre-veterinary advisor told me that receptionist positions at a veterinary clinic do NOT count as "veterinary experience hours". Because you aren't actually doing anything where a veterinarian is observing you. Shadowing counts but receptionist doesn't. Veterinary reception just counts as work experience as far as I know.
Did your advisor go to vet school or do they work at one? If not, personally I’d check with whatever schools you’re interested in because THEY will be able to give the official answer since they’re the ones looking at the apps. The advisor may be correct, but I personally do not trust most of them since they have not been through the process and sometimes don’t have the best information.

Reactions: 1 users
Did your advisor go to vet school or do they work at one? If not, personally I’d check with whatever schools you’re interested in because THEY will be able to give the official answer since they’re the ones looking at the apps. The advisor may be correct, but I personally do not trust most of them since they have not been through the process and sometimes don’t have the best information.
I second what Ski says.

I personally think reception hours should count. As a receptionist I was still able to observe/assist/talk through cases with the vets, and got a far better view about the business/paperwork aspects of the profession compared to what I would have gotten working solely as an assistant at the same practice. Got to practice a heck of a lot of client communications skills too. Maybe at larger practices reception would be more isolated, but my place was only 1-2 doctors.

Alas I'm not a vet so who knows if I'll have this opinion in 4 years.

I go to Colorado State University for undergrad right now. She knows the ins and outs of CSU, how they work, and everything related. She has experience with the whole process of the application. Yeah she didn't go to veterinary school herself but she is involved with the process at CSU, so, I trust her. She basically said it doesn't count because it's not considered clinical skills since you're in reception. I was just explaining what I had always been told. It makes sense to me though because most of the receptionists I've had experience with don't do much in the actual clinic, they do more paperwork etc. Which yes, helps you to know client communication and everything but you aren't physically watching the doctors the whole time you're in the clinic and learning what they're doing etc.

If you are worried about experience, I was pretty low on my experience hours too. I currently have 3 interviews (Midwestern, WSU, CSU) and I was rejected to UC Davis (I think that was more GPA related though because I am OOS). Try not to focus too much on what other people do (I know I did the same thing all the time). Your experience at the Belize zoo is super unique and will likely catch a few eyes though.
I included my receptionist hours on my application and had no issues and got an interview invite to Ohio and an acceptance to UGA. I had other vet hours on there as well, but I honestly think my receptionist experience was just as important as my hours in the exam room. I got so much practice with client communication, and you're always the first person to get yelled at when an angry client calls on the phone. I even wrote in one of my essays how my receptionist hours made me stand out as an applicant who had already experienced the good and bad of the customer service side of vet med.

Reactions: 3 users
I go to Colorado State University for undergrad right now. She knows the ins and outs of CSU, how they work, and everything related. She has experience with the whole process of the application. Yeah she didn't go to veterinary school herself but she is involved with the process at CSU, so, I trust her. She basically said it doesn't count because it's not considered clinical skills since you're in reception. I was just explaining what I had always been told. It makes sense to me though because most of the receptionists I've had experience with don't do much in the actual clinic, they do more paperwork etc. Which yes, helps you to know client communication and everything but you aren't physically watching the doctors the whole time you're in the clinic and learning what they're doing etc.
This is why I was asking. A Pre-Vet advisor at a school hat has a vet school may be more knowledgeable about their schools desires. Whereas a Pre-Vet advisor at some small college more likely is not.
Personally, I’d still check with the actual vet school admissions office, but that’s not just me.
Also, receptionists are usually triaging things when people call. Like if someone’s dog has been vomiting for 4 days straight and can’t keep anything down, they do need to come in and if we can’t see them they should go to emergency vs someone’s dog who has vomited one single time last night and it’s been 14 hours and he hasn’t vomited since and his poop looks fine and he’s eating and drinking. That one may not need to come in right away. I’d personally consider that part of reception work to definitely count because you’re not JUST booking appointments or taking money.

I totally understand where you are coming from, I was just sharing what I have been advised. I understand that receptionists do have to understand the general information. I never said that it wasn't important experience, I just said that I was advised that not everyone is going to consider it "veterinary experience" because you aren't in the clinic doing the things.

I totally understand where you are coming from, I was just sharing what I have been advised. I understand that receptionists do have to understand the general information. I never said that it wasn't important experience, I just said that I was advised that not everyone is going to consider it "veterinary experience" because you aren't in the clinic doing the things.
I would defs double check with admissions because that's how I listed mine and got accepted to all 4 schools I applied to including CSU. That or it doesn't really matter that much otherwise lots of people wouldnt be accepted.

My view point is you start to understand vet med once you can be a good receptionist and handle it all. Theres a lot of intertwining paper work that the vet and receptionist work together on depending on the capacity. Most good receptionists are super heroes and bad receptionists can really hurt a clinic. Most receptionists are still supervised by a vet most times and at least at my clinic I occasionally got pulled back to help out.

Reactions: 2 users
Individual schools will evaluate things differently, but receptionist work is still under the supervision of a veterinarian so you're gonna list it as vet hours on VMCAS. Most schools aren't specifically looking for technical clinical skills when they are looking at vet hours, otherwise VMCAS would have the applicants list them that way. CSU may be different in that regard.

A lot of my hours were in reception and I had no difficulty getting accepted. I have never heard these hours shouldn't be counted. They are in a vet clinic, under supervision of a vet.

I graduated from MSU (Missouri State) May '17 with my BS in chem, and May '18 with my (accelerated) MS in chemistry. I met all of the pre-requisites for vet school. I was a Missouri resident last year, applied summer of 2017 to Midwestern, MU, Ohio, Colorado state and Kansas State. Got interviews at MU, Midwestern and Kansas State, waitlisted at Midwestern, didn't get in anywhere.
Upon review of my applications after the fact, MU told me that my grades were a big issue. They suggested I should take classes full time at a community college regardless of the classes and get all A's, or I shouldn't bother applying again because I would be out of state the next time I applied. I had a 3.39 in undergrad and a 3.62 in my masters so this was shocking to me. I truly think it was because I was a graduate student and they didn't consider me a "full time" student because I would take 6-9 hours a semester, but I was a graduate student....
Now I'm a Kansas resident working full time at a vet clinic and taking one class per semester in upper level biology. I am considering applying to Kansas State, MU, Colorado State, U of Illinois, U of Tennessee and Lincoln Memorial. I am definitely going to apply to my IS Kansas State but I'm worried about if I should even apply to MU again or not....

what is MU

edit: also, did you do file reviews at other schools?
University of Missouri - Columbia. Yes I did, everyone else just wanted to see more experience with animals so I work full time at a GP now but I'm trying to strengthen my upper level biology too.

My overall GPA right now is a 3.5, my science prerequisite GPA is a 3.6, but my last 45 is currently 3.0.

If I make all As next semester, it’ll put me with my last 45 being a 3.2.

I have 600 hours at small/large animal clinics, and currently have 400+ hours at a zoo. I’m more interested in zoo/exotic animals because I really enjoy conservation biology and would like to educate the public about the strategies zoos put into place to preserve species.

I have 100 hours in research

I don’t know how many hours can count owning pets since that’s only animal experience??

I haven’t taken the GRE yet, I will be taking it this Spring semester. I’ll also be graduating this May with my B.S. in Biology.

I’m an officer for our Biology club, and Entymology club

Should I even attempt at applying this upcoming cycle or work on my GPA? Im torn, I’m also currently being treated for a mental illness finally after suffering with these ups and downs lately.

Hey y’all!! I’m midway through my sophomore year but I figured I ought to check in to make sure I’m on the right path.

All GPAs: 4.0 (for now!)
GRE: 169 verbal/ 168 quantitative/ 4.0 writing
Major: Biology w/Spanish minor
Florida resident, definitely going to apply to UF and NCSU

Vet Experience:
-420+ hours at several different small animal clinics, including 100+ of different specialties
-70 hours of zoo, two places

Animal Experience:
-300+ at a wildlife conservation place
-100 at a therapeutic riding center
-100 at a sea turtle hospital
-1500+ (very low estimate) of riding and showing horses for years

Research:
-15 hours, zoo-med related
-this spring, I will be getting at least 60 hours of animal-related research that might extend multiple semesters

Overall, my only concerns are a lack of equine/large animal vet experience and very limited research experience; given that I'm not interested in equine or large animal, should I still try to round myself out in either of those fields? Additionally, how much does it matter that I don't have a ton of research experience given that my limited experience has shown me that I don't really love it- I'm doing different research this spring to see how I like it, but is it something I should continue doing if I'm not a huge fan?

Additionally, how much does it matter that I don't have a ton of research experience given that my limited experience has shown me that I don't really love it- I'm doing different research this spring to see how I like it, but is it something I should continue doing if I'm not a huge fan?
If you don’t love it after the spring, why force yourself to continue with it when you could be doing other things to add to your app

My overall GPA right now is a 3.5, my science prerequisite GPA is a 3.6, but my last 45 is currently 3.0.

If I make all As next semester, it’ll put me with my last 45 being a 3.2.

I have 600 hours at small/large animal clinics, and currently have 400+ hours at a zoo. I’m more interested in zoo/exotic animals because I really enjoy conservation biology and would like to educate the public about the strategies zoos put into place to preserve species.

I have 100 hours in research

I don’t know how many hours can count owning pets since that’s only animal experience??

I haven’t taken the GRE yet, I will be taking it this Spring semester. I’ll also be graduating this May with my B.S. in Biology.

I’m an officer for our Biology club, and Entymology club

Should I even attempt at applying this upcoming cycle or work on my GPA? Im torn, I’m also currently being treated for a mental illness finally after suffering with these ups and downs lately.
Just clarifying, the zoo hours are vet experience?

What schools are you thinking of applying to? That'll make a difference as far as the GPA stuff goes. If it were me, I would want to get the mental illness treatment solidly in place, and then show that I have moved past those issues. One semester of As might be enough to do that, even if it doesn't bump your last 45 GPA up that high. To me if would kind of depend on what classes you're taking. It also wouldn't hurt to retake a couple classes over the summer if you can. Then at least those grades will go on your application.

For the pet ownership - people do it differently, but I didn't personally include it unless I was doing something particular beyond normal ownership. So people who do agility work, or dog shows, or something like that. I'm not really sure how people who claim ownership itself as animal hours usually calculate them.

For the pet ownership - people do it differently, but I didn't personally include it unless I was doing something particular beyond normal ownership. So people who do agility work, or dog shows, or something like that. I'm not really sure how people who claim ownership itself as animal hours usually calculate them.
I included pet ownership, but only said like 500 hours for the past 16 years of helping out a lot with the care of them, because the past few years have been...more extensive...
In the description I put how many times a day my dogs get meds (lollll one point it was 5x/day for one of them because the meds couldn’t be given at the same time and some couldn’t be given within a certain time period before/after food. Was great.), wrote that one dog needed her leg stretched 3x/day when recovering from a fracture to regain her range of motion, and wrote that I was usually the one taking all my family’s dogs to GP and specialist appointments (which are frequent for 3 geriatric dogs with many issues) for the past few years.
Not sure if I would have put them down or not, had my dogs not all had so many issues and needed extra care beyond just basic animal care like feeding and letting out etc, but I think some people do.

Just clarifying, the zoo hours are vet experience?

What schools are you thinking of applying to? That'll make a difference as far as the GPA stuff goes. If it were me, I would want to get the mental illness treatment solidly in place, and then show that I have moved past those issues. One semester of As might be enough to do that, even if it doesn't bump your last 45 GPA up that high. To me if would kind of depend on what classes you're taking. It also wouldn't hurt to retake a couple classes over the summer if you can. Then at least those grades will go on your application.

Yes, I work under the veterinarian at the zoo!

Right now I'm currently just looking at Midwestern, Western, and Kansas State. I would LOVE to retake the courses that I made Cs in, but that's not an option. The courses I made a C in are only offered every other Fall, so I would have to wait until Fall 2020 to retake :arghh:.

Yes, I work under the veterinarian at the zoo!

Right now I'm currently just looking at Midwestern, Western, and Kansas State. I would LOVE to retake the courses that I made Cs in, but that's not an option. The courses I made a C in are only offered every other Fall, so I would have to wait until Fall 2020 to retake :arghh:.
What about retaking them at another school. Kansas State replaces the grade, but retakes MUST be completed before the fall you’re applying (so summer or earlier)

Hi,

I graduated college 12 years ago with a not stellar gpa (2.5). Many things contributed (not being serious in the beginning, having to work to pay for school, depression). All those things making me a more resilient, stronger individual. However, I’m wondering how I can overcome that gpa to be a competitive applicant. I have 10+ years experience working as a tech in ER, small animal GP, exotics and research. I have taken the GRE and scores were a 157Q/151V. I definitely don’t mind taking pre-refs with a “C” again. But if most schools just average the grade in overall gpa how is that really helping myself?...better grade, but more credit hours will not move that gpa much. How do schools expect you to overcome?

Hi,

I graduated college 12 years ago with a not stellar gpa (2.5). Many things contributed (not being serious in the beginning, having to work to pay for school, depression). All those things making me a more resilient, stronger individual. However, I’m wondering how I can overcome that gpa to be a competitive applicant. I have 10+ years experience working as a tech in ER, small animal GP, exotics and research. I have taken the GRE and scores were a 157Q/151V. I definitely don’t mind taking pre-refs with a “C” again. But if most schools just average the grade in overall gpa how is that really helping myself?...better grade, but more credit hours will not move that gpa much. How do schools expect you to overcome?
Several schools look more closely at your science GPA and last 45 hour GPA so while it may seem like retaking older courses is not worthwhile it will greatly increase both of those numbers if you do well in the courses.

Do the research and see what each school weighs more heavily and apply to the schools that value the science and last 45 hour GPA's and you could be a competitive applicant with some work.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
You may also consider doing a one year non thesis master's for people looking to improve their prerequisite grades. It will allow you to improve your grades in courses you didn't do well in while also showing you can handle graduate level work.

A lot of vet and med schools have non thesis master's programs where you take classes with veterinary/medical students. As far as I know most of these programs will allow you to take courses outside of the vet/med school on their main campus as well so you could still retake some prerequisites.

Also, if you have any kind of disadvantaged circumstance that may have affected your learning outcomes (sounds like you did) I'd make sure to include that in your application to those programs and/or vet school. There's actually a place to explain those circumstances on the VMCAS app.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Vet schools will see that you had difficult circumstances, that it was 10 years ago, and that you have retaken courses and drastically improved these grades. The important part will be meeting the requirements to even be reviewed which will vary from school to school.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Hi,

I graduated with a low GPA also, I had a 2.85 science undergrad GPA. I’d say it really depends on the schools you’re planning on applying to. You already have the vet experience, getting a masters may help, only if you can get a graduate assistantship for a tuition waiver. That’s the only reason I went on to get one, otherwise I’d say it wouldn’t be worth the extra debt.

Hi,

Many schools won’t accept pre-reqs from that long ago (though they still count towards your gpa). You may end up needing to retake a lot of classes, which could pull up your gpa a fair amount.

All right, I may be doing this a little early, but I don’t feel like I can wait any longer. Just want some feedback on how my chances are looking before the semester starts back up again and I can ask the health professions’ office.

23 year old female TX resident, neither of my parents attended college (although I can’t truthfully say that I am “first gen” as one of my grandparents has a degree). Obtaining my BS in biology w/a concentration on animal science.

I would really, REALLY like to attend my IS, TAMU. It’s been my dream since I was a little kid. I currently attend one of the most highly regarded universities in Texas (only mentioning because TAMU lists on their website that rigor of the institution attended is taken into consideration). I will graduate next year (Fall 2019).

Cum. GPA: 3.28
Can’t be sure of the last 45/science GPA yet, but can say that my average semester GPA for my UD courses for the past year (3 semesters) thus far is a 3.8.
Haven’t taken the GRE yet, but am preparing to as soon as I can.

Veterinary experience:
850 hrs and counting working as a veterinary assistant for an integrative small animal general practice
100 hrs and counting working as volunteer veterinary staff in a specialized shelter parvo clinic
145 hrs working as a medical intern in a specialized shelter neonatal kitten nursery
30 hrs working in a shelter surgery recovery clinic
(Can you tell I’m interested in shelter med?)
3 hours helping vaccinate goats with a veterinarian (the sad extent of my LA exp)

Animal Experience:
4,000+ working at a dog boarding grooming facility as the senior kennel tech/shift leader on staff (yes, that amount of hrs is accurate as I was FT for a long time while there)
1000+ hrs as a foster for the local shelter
3-4,000+ hrs working as an in-home pet sitter

Research experience:
200 hrs working as a research assistant in an animal cognition lab on campus

Extracurriculars:
Undergrad TA/peer mentor for general chemistry
Officer (volunteer coordinator) in the pre-veterinary association

LORs:
I know that the veterinarian I work for will write me a stellar LOR, as will my organic chemistry professor, the pre-vet faculty advisor, and my employers from the dog boarding facility. I have a good relationship with all of them and have spoken with them about LORs in the future.

The explanation for my lower than average GPA is kind of a mess, because my personal life in college has been nothing short of a mess—I was an “at risk” (due to mental and subsequent physical illnesses) teenager who went to a high school for at risk teenagers. While I excelled in both classes in high school and w/ECS, I didn’t have a college counselor, and I didn’t have parents that knew anything about life in college. I also didn’t/don’t have a phenomenal relationships with my immediate family, so had been expected to work full time in order to pay my own bills/rent/groceries/gas/etc at 18 years old—without taking out loans, per the request of my parents. This resulted in me taking measly 6 hour semesters during freshman year and doing poorly to mediocre in all of them—I had almost no time to study, much less go to office hours etc, when working 8 hours days and weekends. In conjunction with my unmedicated, but diagnosed ADD (that I wasn’t receiving accommodations for), my GPA plummeted. It was really heartbreaking for me, because I had no clue how to get myself out of it, or who to even reach out to, and I wasn’t even being an irresponsible college kid wrapped up in my social life while having a subpar performance. I was constantly exhausted, devastated, and disappointed in myself. It wasn’t until I took out student loans against the wishes of my parents and got better paying job(s) that I was able to take 14-16 hr semesters (and finally obtained accomodations for my learning disability). When I did, the difference in my grades was night and day. I have As in all my UD sciences, including notorious “weed out” classes. I also endured a traumatic event that lead to an abrupt major life transition last year, and STILL made an 3.9 avg GPA every semester afterwards. Having the time to allocate to my studies and being properly treated for my learning disability made all the difference. I’m personally very proud of myself, but worried it’s still not enough.

Anyways, I plan on the following:
-Obtaining large animal/veterinary experience. I am already scheduled to start volunteering with a horse riding therapy center and am in contact with an equine veterinarian who has offered to let me to shadow her. Still need to try to find more varied experience with bovine/poultry/swine, which is proving difficult.
-Shadowing with more specialized veterinary facilities. I am already on my way to working with a veterinary radiologist, but am seeking more.
-Taking the GRE this spring/summer and making high marks.
-Getting exotic experience somehow. Again, difficult, as there’s very little that local facilities around me offer in terms of interacting at all with the animals.
-Volunteering on a trip with RAVS (Rural Area Veterinary Services) this spring

I would love to hear opinions/advice from those who have applied to TAMU and/or are current students. It’s definitely not the only place I’m applying, but given that it’s an incredible school that also happens to be my IS, it’s my top choice. Thanks!

All right, I may be doing this a little early, but I don’t feel like I can wait any longer. Just want some feedback on how my chances are looking before the semester starts back up again and I can ask the health professions’ office.

23 year old female TX resident, neither of my parents attended college (although I can’t truthfully say that I am “first gen” as one of my grandparents has a degree). Obtaining my BS in biology w/a concentration on animal science.

I would really, REALLY like to attend my IS, TAMU. It’s been my dream since I was a little kid. I currently attend one of the most highly regarded universities in Texas (only mentioning because TAMU lists on their website that rigor of the institution attended is taken into consideration). I will graduate next year (Fall 2019).

Can’t be sure of the last 45/science GPA yet, but can say that my average semester GPA for my UD courses for the past year (3 semesters) thus far is a 3.8.

Veterinary experience:
850 hrs and counting working as a veterinary assistant for an integrative small animal general practice
100 hrs and counting working as volunteer veterinary staff in a specialized shelter parvo clinic
145 hrs working as a medical intern in a specialized shelter neonatal kitten nursery
3 hours helping vaccinate goats with a veterinarian (the sad extent of my LA exp)

Animal Experience:
4,000+ working at a dog boarding grooming facility as the senior kennel tech/shift leader on staff (yes, that amount of hrs is accurate as I was FT for a long time while there)

Research experience:

Extracurriculars:

LORs:
I know that the veterinarian I work for will write me a stellar LOR, as will my organic chemistry professor, the pre-vet faculty advisor, and my employers from the dog boarding facility. I have a good relationship with all of them and have spoken with them about LORs in the future.

The explanation for my lower than average GPA is kind of a mess, because my personal life in college has been nothing short of a mess—I was an “at risk” (due to mental and subsequent physical illnesses) teenager who went to a high school for at risk teenagers. While I excelled in both classes in high school and w/ECS, I didn’t have a college counselor, and I didn’t have parents that knew anything about life in college. I also didn’t/don’t have a phenomenal relationships with my immediate family, so had been expected to work full time in order to pay my own bills/rent/groceries/gas/etc at 18 years old—without taking out loans, per the request of my parents. This resulted in me taking measly 6 hour semesters during freshman year and doing poorly to mediocre in all of them—I had almost no time to study, much less go to office hours etc, when working 8 hours days and weekends. In conjunction with my unmedicated, but diagnosed ADD (that I wasn’t receiving accommodations for), my GPA plummeted. It was really heartbreaking for me, because I had no clue how to get myself out of it, or who to even reach out to, and I wasn’t even being an irresponsible college kid wrapped up in my social life while having a subpar performance. I was constantly exhausted, devastated, and disappointed in myself. It wasn’t until I took out student loans against the wishes of my parents and got better paying job(s) that I was able to take 14-16 hr semesters (and finally obtained accomodations for my learning disability). When I did, the difference in my grades was night and day. I have As in all my UD sciences, including notorious “weed out” classes. I also endured a traumatic event that lead to an abrupt major life transition last year, and STILL made an 3.9 avg GPA every semester afterwards. Having the time to allocate to my studies and being properly treated for my learning disability made all the difference. I’m personally very proud of myself, but worried it’s still not enough.

-Obtaining large animal/veterinary experience. I am already scheduled to start volunteering with a horse riding therapy center and am in contact with an equine veterinarian who has offered to let me to shadow her. Still need to try to find more varied experience with bovine/poultry/swine, which is proving difficult.
-Shadowing with more specialized veterinary facilities. I am already on my way to working with a veterinary radiologist, but am seeking more.
-Getting exotic experience somehow. Again, difficult, as there’s very little that local facilities around me offer in terms of interacting at all with the animals.

I would love to hear opinions/advice from those who have applied to TAMU and/or are current students. It’s definitely not the only place I’m applying, but given that it’s an incredible school that also happens to be my IS, it’s my top choice. Thanks!

The only major thing I see missing is outside vet med activities. Make sure you have things that have nothing to do with vet med to show that you are a well rounded person with hobbies and such. Otherwise, the current trends looks great and if you do get those other experiences, that is all well and good as well. Good luck!

Veterinary experience:

Animal Experience:

Research experience:

Extracurriculars:

LORs:

I applied to TAMU and went to their application workshop and found a few things that may be helpful to you. Your stats are quite competitive so I don't think you have too much improving to do as long as you do pretty well on the GRE. I'm not sure if they have changed the application system since I applied a couple years ago but if you write a personal statement make sure it is direct and to the point. The main takeaway I got from the workshop is that they don't want a narrative essay, just what makes you a qualified applicant and what qualities you would bring to the profession. The second thing I learned was that they regard the letters of recommendation from veterinarians higher than those from professors as they have gone through vet school and are able to say if they think you are capable of getting through the program and if you would be a good fit with the profession in general.

I ended up going to Kansas State and just finished my first semester there so if you have any questions about what first year is like in general I'm happy to answer them as well .

Best of luck to you! You'll do great

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Hi everyone!

I am applying to the upcoming cycle for 2019-2020 and I am planning on taking a gap year as I am graduating this May.

I am mostly concerned about my GPA and the Cs I have gotten in my core coursework. UF is my top choice as it is my in-state school. I am also open to Caribbean schools as a back-up plan.

I am a fourth year student at the University of Florida majoring in biology.

GPA cumulative: 3.48

Science GPA: ~3.45

Last 45: 3.53

I hope to increase my cum/sci to a ~3.5 by the time I graduate.

Vet experience:

~300 hours as a volunteer at the UF SA Hospital in various departments

~200 hours as a volunteer/shadowing a SA vet in my hometown

Research:

~200 hours as a research assistant in an entomology lab

~50 hours as a research assistant in an invertebrate paleontology lab

Other:

-2 semesters as a teaching assistant for microbiology lab

-~150 hours working in retail and customer service

-participation in organizations, such as a pre-vet club, a health education club, and a service fraternity

LOR:

-SA vet from my hometown (attended UF CVM)

-professor from my physiology course

-professor from my microbiology lab course (who I TA’d for)

-PI for the entomology lab I currently work in

I know I need to get more veterinary/animal experience, especially large animal experience. My biggest concern is how veterinary programs will look at the 3 Cs (chem 1, orgo 1, microbio) and 3 C+s(calc, stats, bio 2) in my core coursework despite my GPA being in an “okay” spot.

I would also like advice on what I should do for my gap year. Is it worth re-taking courses I received a C in or just doing a certificate or masters program to show veterinary programs I can handle upper level coursework? I was looking into masters programs at UF and USF, but I am really not sure which program to do. The programs I am interested in for UF include their MS in veterinary medicine. The ones at USF include a masters in health science. I also need to work on my gap year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Hello!

I am also applying to the upcoming cycle for 2019-2020. I graduated this Dec (2018) and am currently studying for the GRE and planning on taking it in april.

I am mostly concerned about experience and GRE scores. I'm not sure if i have enough experience. I am planning on shadowing another doctor for a day but i still feel as if that is not enough. I am open to any suggestions!

I would like to go to school in the northeast area, (i am from new york), so i am mainly aiming to apply to Cornerll, Upenn, Tufts, NC, etc. so any advice on how to get into those schools/what they look for most would help!

GPA cumulative: 3.51

Science GPA: 3.09

Last 45: 3.83

Vet experience:

~500 hours working as a veterinary assistant

~200 hours working as a veterinary receptionist

Research:

~150 hours of research at my university

Animal Experience

~200 hours of working with horses

Other:

-1 semesters as a teaching assistant for organic chemistry

- Deans list since 2017

-participation in organizations and drives such as conducting a prom dress drive and book drive.

- Interests in photography and calligraphy.

LOR:

- Veterinary that i have worked with

-professor from organic chemistry class

-professor i did research with

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and help a fellow Prevet out!

Hello!

I am also applying to the upcoming cycle for 2019-2020. I graduated this Dec (2018) and am currently studying for the GRE and planning on taking it in april.

I am mostly concerned about experience and GRE scores. I'm not sure if i have enough experience. I am planning on shadowing another doctor for a day but i still feel as if that is not enough. I am open to any suggestions!

I would like to go to school in the northeast area, (i am from new york), so i am mainly aiming to apply to Cornerll, Upenn, Tufts, NC, etc. so any advice on how to get into those schools/what they look for most would help!

GPA cumulative: 3.51

Science GPA: 3.09

Last 45: 3.83

Vet experience:

~500 hours working as a veterinary assistant

~200 hours working as a veterinary receptionist

Research:

~150 hours of research at my university

Animal Experience

~200 hours of working with horses

Other:

-1 semesters as a teaching assistant for organic chemistry

- Deans list since 2017

-participation in organizations and drives such as conducting a prom dress drive and book drive.

- Interests in photography and calligraphy.

LOR:

- Veterinary that i have worked with

-professor from organic chemistry class

-professor i did research with

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and help a fellow Prevet out!
Is all of your veterinary experience small animal?
In addition to what ski said above, NC State also likes to see experience in at least 3 different areas from what I recall, and I know they recommend having LORs from 2 vets. I can't say specifically for the other schools off the top of my head, but I would encourage you to look around at their admission requirements sites to at least make sure you meet their minimums.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what my chances are!

GRE- SUPERRR AVERAGE combined 307 (154/153)
Undergraduate GPA:3.36
Last 45: 3.9
Graduate: 3.93 (so far)
Science GPA=? probably around a 3.5 now
B.S. Marine Science, minor Environmental Science-Stony Brook University
M.S. Earth and Environmental Sciences Brooklyn College

Small animal practices, where I mostly assisted with surgeries--- ~1000hours
Small animal practices where I aided with routine care ~940 hours
Horseback riding/volunteering at a horse farm ~150hrs
Crustacean research ~250 hours

Individual research for thesis involving Microcystis aeruginosa (a cyanobacteria that is harmful to both marine and terrestrial life)
~500hours when my thesis is finished

Random experience helping a local french bulldog breeder ~150hours

Hispanic/Irish

4 Years Marching Band
4 Years Pep Band
1 Year Section leader for both!
4 years Marine Science Club
1 year Semester By the Sea Program

I had a strong upwards trajectory, in terms of my GPA. Where good stories are concerned, I certainly have one: Orphaned in late teens after my mother passed away from brain cancer, homeless thereafter. Freshman GPA (around the time of my mom's first brain surgery) ~2.65. Senior year GPA 3.93. Graduate GPA 3.93. So, I think I have a unique narrative, to convey my persistence.

Anyone who answers, I truly appreciate it!
Even if you don't have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.