This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I definitely plan on it. I just don't know if it's too early at this point.
Okay, sounds good. We might be able to give you some pointers in the meantime if you post a full WAMC post. I don’t initially see anything with your GPAs or experience that would keep you from getting an acceptance, so I’m wondering if there is an issue with your school list or a red flag that you’re not aware of.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, sounds good. We might be able to give you some pointers in the meantime if you post a full WAMC post. I don’t initially see anything with your GPAs or experience that would keep you from getting an acceptance, so I’m wondering if there is an issue with your school list or a red flag that you’re not aware of.

Thanks!! I’ll be sure to make a full post!

Hi everyone! I've been rejected to four schools VAMD (interview waitlisted then rejected), tOSU, Cornell, and MSU. Still waiting to hear from Penn (IS) but I'm not hopeful at this point. Looking for some advice since it's still a little early for a file review and I plan on applying again this upcoming cycle.

Cumulative GPA: 3.7

Science GPA: 3.7

Last 45 GPA: 3.8

GRE: 148 V (38%), 148 Q (30%) :( :( :(

*I didn’t take the writing portion since the schools I applied to did not require that section and said I could skip it*

I've never been great at standardized tests and really struggled despite my studying efforts. I plan on finding a tutor at this point.

Veterinary Experience:

~1,500 hours as a veterinary assistant in shelter medicine (very hands on & current experience)

~500 hours as a veterinary assistant/kennel assistant in a small animal/exotics practice

~ 40 hours as a volunteer in a high volume spay/neuter shelter

Animal experience:

Summer intern at the Penn Vet Working Dog center (~300 hours)

ACCT volunteer caring for cats and processing adoptions at an offsite location (current experience. ~ 3 years)

Foster parent through ACCT (current experience. ~3 years)

Spent a week at Busch Gardens Tampa, FL. Hands-on care with the animals at the zoo (~30 hrs)

*I didn't list pet ownership*

Research experience:

None :/

Employment:

Part-time veterinary assistant since freshman year of undergrad.

Worked in a nursing home during HS in the dietary department.

Worked as a hostess in a small restaurant during HS.

Extracurriculars:

Crossfit athlete… Does this even count? LOL

Pre-Health club

Honors/Awards:

Dean’s List 7/8 semesters

Tri Beta Biological Honor Society

2 Scholarships awarded from my university

Letters of Recommendation:

-Spay/neuter vet at my current job.

-Clinic vet at my current job.

-Biology professor who I had for multiple semesters (I go to a small liberal arts university). I also spent multiple hours a week in his office because I was struggling with genetics.

Thanks for any input!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Im graduating this Spring with a Pre-vet bachelors degree and I decided to take a year in between before trying to apply for vet school. My GPA is pretty awful (which is all my fault, never really learned to study until like halfway through junior year), sitting at around 2.9 probably by the end of my senior year.

I would love to maybe enhance my GPA by doing a post bacc but I know that a lot of programs are pretty expensive. So, I'd like some advice: would I be better off spending by time doing post bacc program or would I be better off gaining more experience working in the field. In terms of practical experience, I've volunteered at UPenn Veterinary hospital for a summer, interned at a Wildlife Rehabilitation center for a summer, and am currently on a research team at my university. I'm lacking in both grades and experience which again, is really due to me not realizing how important my college time would be. I feel pretty lost and unsure as to what to do.

Thank you!

Hi everyone! I've been rejected to four schools VAMD (interview waitlisted then rejected), tOSU, Cornell, and MSU. Still waiting to hear from Penn (IS) but I'm not hopeful at this point. Looking for some advice since it's still a little early for a file review and I plan on applying again this upcoming cycle.

*I didn’t take the writing portion since the schools I applied to did not require that section and said I could skip it*

I've never been great at standardized tests and really struggled despite my studying efforts. I plan on finding a tutor at this point.

Veterinary Experience:

~1,500 hours as a veterinary assistant in shelter medicine (very hands on & current experience)

~500 hours as a veterinary assistant/kennel assistant in a small animal/exotics practice

Animal experience:

ACCT volunteer caring for cats and processing adoptions at an offsite location (current experience. ~ 3 years)

Spent a week at Busch Gardens Tampa, FL. Hands-on care with the animals at the zoo (~30 hrs)

Research experience:

Employment:

Extracurriculars:

Pre-Health club

Honors/Awards:

-Biology professor who I had for multiple semesters (I go to a small liberal arts university). I also spent multiple hours a week in his office because I was struggling with genetics.

Thanks for any input!!
So I do think part of your issue is your school list. Cornell puts 25% of their admissions decision on the GRE, which is very weak in your case. Penn does require the writing portion of the GRE according to their website, so that could be the problem (unless you were told differently). MSU doesn’t care about the GRE or GPAs, so they tend to care a bit more about diversity of experience than other schools. I do find it odd that you didn’t get any interest from tOSU or VA-MD, which makes me wonder if there is an issue with an LOR or your essays - this is where file reviews could be really helpful. For next cycle, I’d say target schools that don’t consider the GRE and see if you can add a bit of large animal experience. I’d also say that I see almost no experiences or extracurriculars that aren’t animal-related - a lot of schools like to see these to show that you have other interests. See if you can find some things that you enjoy doing that aren’t about animals. Leadership positions of any kind would also be a great addition to your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Im graduating this Spring with a Pre-vet bachelors degree and I decided to take a year in between before trying to apply for vet school. My GPA is pretty awful (which is all my fault, never really learned to study until like halfway through junior year), sitting at around 2.9 probably by the end of my senior year.

I would love to maybe enhance my GPA by doing a post bacc but I know that a lot of programs are pretty expensive. So, I'd like some advice: would I be better off spending by time doing post bacc program or would I be better off gaining more experience working in the field. In terms of practical experience, I've volunteered at UPenn Veterinary hospital for a summer, interned at a Wildlife Rehabilitation center for a summer, and am currently on a research team at my university. I'm lacking in both grades and experience which again, is really due to me not realizing how important my college time would be. I feel pretty lost and unsure as to what to do.

Thank you!
Have your grades over the last 3 semesters seen significant improvement? Specifically, what was your GPA for the last 3 semesters? You posted before, but without additional info, we can’t really give you specific advice.

So I do think part of your issue is your school list. Cornell puts 25% of their admissions decision on the GRE, which is very weak in your case. Penn does require the writing portion of the GRE according to their website, so that could be the problem (unless you were told differently). MSU doesn’t care about the GRE or GPAs, so they tend to care a bit more about diversity of experience than other schools. I do find it odd that you didn’t get any interest from tOSU or VA-MD, which makes me wonder if there is an issue with an LOR or your essays - this is where file reviews could be really helpful. For next cycle, I’d say target schools that don’t consider the GRE and see if you can add a bit of large animal experience. I’d also say that I see almost no experiences or extracurriculars that aren’t animal-related - a lot of schools like to see these to show that you have other interests. See if you can find some things that you enjoy doing that aren’t about animals. Leadership positions of any kind would also be a great addition to your app.
Unless something has changed in the past 4 years, Penn does not require the written portion of the GRE and often recommends skipping it.

Thanks!! Yea, I knew I shouldn't have applied to Cornell. I did reach out to admissions at Penn and they said I could skip it :)
You make a lot of great points and I definitely agree! My best bet is to take advantage of the file reviews and go from there. I'll also be adjusting the list of schools.

If anybody in the Philadelphia area knows where I can get some large animal experience please let me know!!

Thanks!! Yea, I knew I shouldn't have applied to Cornell. I did reach out to admissions at Penn and they said I could skip it :)
You make a lot of great points and I definitely agree! My best bet is to take advantage of the file reviews and go from there. I'll also be adjusting the list of schools.

If anybody in the Philadelphia area knows where I can get some large animal experience please let me know!!

Have you spoken with any of your supervising vets about trying to get some large animal experience in? I got my connection with my volunteer LA vet from a small animal vet that I worked with. It's always worth asking, lots of folks have vet school classmates that they might be able to ask. And PennVet grads especially tend to stay in the area (in my experience living in Jersey), so if your supervisors went to Penn they likely know others.

Have you spoken with any of your supervising vets about trying to get some large animal experience in? I got my connection with my volunteer LA vet from a small animal vet that I worked with. It's always worth asking, lots of folks have vet school classmates that they might be able to ask. And PennVet grads especially tend to stay in the area (in my experience living in Jersey), so if your supervisors went to Penn they likely know others.

The one vet I work with went to PennVet so I can check with her to see if she has any connections!!

A KEYPAD?!?!?! Does any computer have one of those anymore if it’s not a desktop with a full keyboard??? :laugh:
I know at least mine doesn’t even have a keypad and hasn’t since at least 2007. But the numbers are in a line above the letters like a tablet’s keyboard is
Well, you must be in the S part of STEM. People in the TEM fields all have computers with keypads. All high computing laptops have keypads. LOL

Well I have worked in the vet field for about 4 years now. At a private practice I worked as a Kennel Technician for about 2 years. Then moved to another practice where I was a receptionist for a year and I have been a veterinary assistant (my job title) for the last year. Although I have learned alot, I have not learned as much as I wanted like monitoring for surgeries, etc. I was actually told by a locum doctor that applied to Texas A&M and was rejected her first cycle. I have email the advisor at the school regarding these questions, but have yet to hear back from them. at this rate, I'm thinking of just emailing their professors lol. I am from Texas so ideally, I would love to stay here just do to it being cheaper to stay in state versus out of state. however, I honestly would go to any school that would take me and see if I can be deferred a year to establish in state tuition.
If the vet supervised you as a kennel technician it counts. It's all about the amount and interaction you have with the vets. I've had jobs as a Vet Tech where I rarely saw the vet and was supervised by the lead tech. Spending my days cleaning ears, trimming nails and running lab tests didn't teach me much about being a vet.
I can personally tell you that my time as a receptionist taught me more about being a vet then anything else that I did. You see the business side and that's the side they don't teach in vet school. My hours as a CSC at Banfield helped me answer more interview questions then anything else I did.

*I didn’t take the writing portion since the schools I applied to did not require that section and said I could skip it* I've never been great at standardized tests and really struggled despite my studying efforts. I plan on finding a tutor at this point.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal experience:

Research experience:

Employment:

Extracurriculars:
Pre-Health club

Honors/Awards:

Thanks for any input!!

When you say MSU, which one are you talking (Mississippi or Michigan)?

I think you asked if a Master's would benefit you from a grade perspective. I honestly think a Master's at this point wouldn't be beneficial in that way, and I would only do a Master's if it was going to be your backup plan. Honestly, your grades are on the mark for above average, depending on where you apply. The only thing I could think of is if you had a marked decrease in grades in the last few semesters.

As a general rule, I would re-evaluate your school list. It would probably be beneficial to look at the AAVMC website to see what the OOS/IS acceptance rates are, see which schools value what, and tailor your list to that. More experience would also be beneficial and it wouldn't hurt to get on that right meow.

would I be better off spending by time doing post bacc program or would I be better off gaining more experience working in the field. In terms of practical experience, I've volunteered at UPenn Veterinary hospital for a summer, interned at a Wildlife Rehabilitation center for a summer, and am currently on a research team at my university. I'm lacking in both grades and experience which again, is really due to me not realizing how important my college time would be. I feel pretty lost and unsure as to what to do.

It might be beneficial for your to do a full WAMC post as well with all your GPAs, GRE, experiences down to evaluate. But first and foremost, the majority of schools will screen you for a cGPA of 2.9. Even the more holistic schools have a cutoff at 3.0. Depending on how many credits you have, that may be possible to squeak by. If not, you'll have to make a school list based more on experiences and the other GPAs (prerequisite and last 45-credit hour). With that, more experience will not hurt at all. Getting experience only hurts when it starts to drop your grades too far below the mark. With that being said, there are few schools who will take a look at you with diverse experiences and a solid app besides the cGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you say MSU, which one are you talking (Mississippi or Michigan)?

I think you asked if a Master's would benefit you from a grade perspective. I honestly think a Master's at this point wouldn't be beneficial in that way, and I would only do a Master's if it was going to be your backup plan. Honestly, your grades are on the mark for above average, depending on where you apply. The only thing I could think of is if you had a marked decrease in grades in the last few semesters.

As a general rule, I would re-evaluate your school list. It would probably be beneficial to look at the AAVMC website to see what the OOS/IS acceptance rates are, see which schools value what, and tailor your list to that. More experience would also be beneficial and it wouldn't hurt to get on that right meow.

It might be beneficial for your to do a full WAMC post as well with all your GPAs, GRE, experiences down to evaluate. But first and foremost, the majority of schools will screen you for a cGPA of 2.9. Even the more holistic schools have a cutoff at 3.0. Depending on how many credits you have, that may be possible to squeak by. If not, you'll have to make a school list based more on experiences and the other GPAs (prerequisite and last 45-credit hour). With that, more experience will not hurt at all. Getting experience only hurts when it starts to drop your grades too far below the mark. With that being said, there are few schools who will take a look at you with diverse experiences and a solid app besides the cGPA.
Hey! I was referring to Michigan!

I work under a veterinarian at a zoo, I noticed some people that have applied this time around have had separated some hours of necropsy's they observed. Should I do the same? I've participated in the necropsy of several of our zoo animals, so I don't know if that's something to list under as a separate veterinary experience aside from the hours I've gotten from the zoo? Can you list descriptions under the veterinary experiences you enter on VMCAS? If so, then I suppose that would be the best way to put it?

I work under a veterinarian at a zoo, I noticed some people that have applied this time around have had separated some hours of necropsy's they observed. Should I do the same? I've participated in the necropsy of several of our zoo animals, so I don't know if that's something to list under as a separate veterinary experience aside from the hours I've gotten from the zoo? Can you list descriptions under the veterinary experiences you enter on VMCAS? If so, then I suppose that would be the best way to put it?

I would keep it as the same veterinary experience since it’s under your zoo veterinary experience. You can list your responsibilities for the experience the same way you would on a résumé, so you’ll be able to show that you did necropsies. It would probably be a little disingenuous about the process to put it as two separate things since it’s not.

I made seperate enteries for extra things I got to participate in while working at a zoo that were not a part of my job description, especially if it was a decent amount of hours. For example, shadowing/working with the pathologists during necropsies, getting to assist in the aquarium where I did not otherwise work, research, etc. In each individual description I made sure to make it clear that they were opportunities made available during my internship and I subtracted the hours from the total of my internship to make sure I wasn’t adding extra hours on. Hopefully that made sense!

Last edited:
hello
I applied to 3 schools this cycle and didn’t get in. My question is how do I strengthen my application? Also vmcas calculated my gpa way lower. My transcript says 3.0 but vmcas dropped my gpa to a 2.6. I’m retaking some classes but I doubt even then my gpa would move. Any suggestions?

VMCAS gpa will include all courses. So, if you have retaken any courses both the original grade and new grade will be included. I failed a course and retook it and recieved an A. For my undergraduate institution the original grade was completely replaced with the A, however, both the F and A were included in my VMCAS gpa. This caused it to be lower than what was reported from my undergrad. Not sure if this scenario applies to you, but thought I would throw it out there in case it helps explain the discrepancy!

hello
I applied to 3 schools this cycle and didn’t get in. My question is how do I strengthen my application? Also vmcas calculated my gpa way lower. My transcript says 3.0 but vmcas dropped my gpa to a 2.6. I’m retaking some classes but I doubt even then my gpa would move. Any suggestions?

This would probably be better in the what are my chances thread and may get moved over there but...

If I'm remembering correctly, VMCAS accounts for all of your attempts when calculating the GPA. Have you retaken classes in the past? This could account for the difference in your transcript vs what VMCAS calculated.

Where did you apply? Where do you plan to apply next time? What are your last 45 and science GPAs? What kind of experience do you have? It's hard to give suggestions on how to strengthen your application with nothing but a cumulative GPA.

Oh, but it's always a good idea to do file reviews if you can so that's my first suggestion.

As far as I'm aware VMCAS also evens out grading systems (for example an A at my first school was always 4.0 but at my university was 3.8-4.0)

If you've transferred, all schools and all courses are incorporated, not just transferred courses

Some schools may disagree with how VMCAS and not even use their calculations.

As Finn said I would post in the chances thread.it is not impossible to get in with a low gpa but you need to be well rounded and apply wisely. Some schools have a 3.0 minimum.

I know that some applicants who are concerned about a low GPA have found that getting a masters degree can be cheaper and more beneficial than taking a ton of expensive post-bac classes. In some cases, a master degree is good because it gives you a professional degree, it could provide a good plan B if vet school doesnt work out and can also improve your GPA so that might be something to consider. Some schools however calculate graduate GPA separately and do not add it into your other GPAs so keep that in mind.

Hey everyone!
I'm currently a second semester freshman and I'm looking for some advice as to what I should be doing now in preparation for applying to vet school in a few years.
Here's a little bit about me:
- I was the secretary (junior year of hs) and then the Vice President (senior year of hs) of my high school's FFA Chapter
- I've been riding horses for about 8 years (lessons and competing) so I have lots of equine experience
- I'm a member of my university's pre-vet club and worked at my university's booth at SCAV this year
- I'm a member of my university's equestrian team and was elected to be the treasurer for my sophomore year
- I'm part of an pre-vet organization at my university (separate from pre-vet club) and we do community service events and fundraisers throughout the year
- I made a 3.75 GPA my first semester and hope to make the Dean's List again this semester although I'm taking harder classes
- I will be doing a summer internship at a small animal clinic this summer (20 hours a week)

I feel as though I'm on the right track but want to know what else I can be doing to increase my chances of getting accepted to vet school. My main concern is my grades as I am taking a difficult Gen Ed this semester and currently have a C in the class (I still have some exams and papers so hopefully I can bring it up to a B) and I'm unsure how 1-2 C's on my transcript would affect my chances.
Any advice/ feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance:)

Never underestimate the value of leadership experience, exceptional time management skills, and the ability to communicate well in writing and in person.

This would probably be better in the what are my chances thread and may get moved over there but...

If I'm remembering correctly, VMCAS accounts for all of your attempts when calculating the GPA. Have you retaken classes in the past? This could account for the difference in your transcript vs what VMCAS calculated.

Where did you apply? Where do you plan to apply next time? What are your last 45 and science GPAs? What kind of experience do you have? It's hard to give suggestions on how to strengthen your application with nothing but a cumulative GPA.

Oh, but it's always a good idea to do file reviews if you can so that's my first suggestion.
Hello
I did retake some classes, my undergrad degree was in veterinary technology. I have all the lower level biology, chem, Ochem classes. Im thinking maybe I can take more upper level bio classes to boost my gpa. I'm just not sure even then will that move my gpa up enough. I applied at VA/MD, LMU, Tuskegee, and ISU. I have been a LVT at a mixed animal practice for the last 4 years. I also have been working with one of my vets with embryo transfers in cattle. Im not sure where to apply next time honestly. I am trying to research schools that take more of a holistic approach. I plan on retaking my GRE as my scores were on the lower in 150V/147Q. I was also thinking of maybe trying to gain some research opportunities? I'm just trying to figure out how I can efficiently fit everything in. I'm a parent, I work full time, and taking classes part time.

Hello
I did retake some classes, my undergrad degree was in veterinary technology. I have all the lower level biology, chem, Ochem classes. Im thinking maybe I can take more upper level bio classes to boost my gpa. I'm just not sure even then will that move my gpa up enough. I applied at VA/MD, LMU, Tuskegee, and ISU. I have been a LVT at a mixed animal practice for the last 4 years. I also have been working with one of my vets with embryo transfers in cattle. Im not sure where to apply next time honestly. I am trying to research schools that take more of a holistic approach. I plan on retaking my GRE as my scores were on the lower in 150V/147Q. I was also thinking of maybe trying to gain some research opportunities? I'm just trying to figure out how I can efficiently fit everything in. I'm a parent, I work full time, and taking classes part time.
Definitely boost your GPA and get research hours. Also apply to way more schools. The lower your stats are, the larger the number should be. For you I would say at least 10. It’s a lot of money but it’s cheaper than applying to only a few for multiple years in a row. I applied to 11 and while I ended up getting into my IS, it was still a surprise. A lot of schools rejected me even though I thought they’d be easier to get into. You just can’t determine which schools will be easiest to get into just because they were easier one year or another.

Definitely boost your GPA and get research hours. Also apply to way more schools. The lower your stats are, the larger the number should be. For you I would say at least 10. It’s a lot of money but it’s cheaper than applying to only a few for multiple years in a row. I applied to 11 and while I ended up getting into my IS, it was still a surprise. A lot of schools rejected me even though I thought they’d be easier to get into. You just can’t determine which schools will be easiest to get into just because they were easier one year or another.
@Ainz-Rodriguez I am going to strongly disagree with the advice above that you should apply to a lot of schools because you have lower stats. Apply smarter not broader. Look for schools that accept grade replacement, and consider retaking more classes if you need to. I think there are also some schools that require you have a minimum gpa, but they don’t consider your gpa much after that.

Reactions: 7 users
@Ainz-Rodriguez I am going to strongly disagree with the advice above that you should apply to a lot of schools because you have lower stats. Apply smarter not broader. Look for schools that accept grade replacement, and consider retaking more classes if you need to. I think there are also some schools that require you have a minimum gpa, but they don’t consider your gpa much after that.

Thank you. Yea I’m going to try retaking some classes. I have some file reviews set up as well. I guess I’m just hoping there’s a chance.

Hey guys,

this is my second time interviewing and I am once again, WAIT-LISTED D: I currently left my job as a vet assistant because I wasn't getting the hours I needed. I am thinking about serving again because I will get the hours and the cash. However, I am afraid that will affect my chances with interviews next time around...if I don't get accepted this time off the wait-list. I have currently around 1800 hours experience working with a veterinarian. Do you think this is sufficient to take some time off and serve for awhile?

I do want to do something in the summer part-time related to research through my university; would this be considered veterinary experience? I don't have any research experience so I feel that is holding me back from getting interviews to out of state schools...even though I really don't even want to go out of state.

Also...I am pretty discouraged to get wait-listed again and I just need some advice for next term around. My university offers mock interviews so I think I want to do those once a month to help with my interview skills. Also, I am unsure of what to start looking into because I graduate with my bachelors next spring. I don't know if I should try and pursue an LVT certification or go for my masters?

Thanks guys,

Amy

Hey guys,

this is my second time interviewing and I am once again, WAIT-LISTED D: I currently left my job as a vet assistant because I wasn't getting the hours I needed. I am thinking about serving again because I will get the hours and the cash. However, I am afraid that will affect my chances with interviews next time around...if I don't get accepted this time off the wait-list. I have currently around 1800 hours experience working with a veterinarian. Do you think this is sufficient to take some time off and serve for awhile?

I do want to do something in the summer part-time related to research through my university; would this be considered veterinary experience? I don't have any research experience so I feel that is holding me back from getting interviews to out of state schools...even though I really don't even want to go out of state.

Also...I am pretty discouraged to get wait-listed again and I just need some advice for next term around. My university offers mock interviews so I think I want to do those once a month to help with my interview skills. Also, I am unsure of what to start looking into because I graduate with my bachelors next spring. I don't know if I should try and pursue an LVT certification or go for my masters?

Thanks guys,

Amy
This will probably get moved to what are my chances thread. I'll attempt to help, but everything is pretty vague so I can't give anything but general advice. I have a few questions first. Did you do a file review with your IS last year? If so what did they say? If not DO ONE THIS YEAR! They give the best feedback as they know what they want to see and what you were lacking. As far as your hours are they 1800 hours all in one aspect in vet med? If so diversify your hours if at all possible. Can you do two jobs serve and vet med or even just serve and shadow. You have alot of hours and money is important, but if you plan to apply again I wouldn't leave vet med entirely even if you just shadow once a week it still shows your interest in the profession plus youll need that ELOR next cycle. Research is research and is not veterinary experience especially if not supervised by a veterinarian. Follow the VMCAS flow chart. I would venture a guess to say based on the fact that you got interviews that not having reasearch experience is not holding you back, plus there are people who get in with no research experience at all. You say you feel no research is holding you back from getting interviews from OOS schools but you don't really wasnt to go OOS-did you apply OOS? If so maybe we need to evaluate what schools you applied to in correspondance with your stats. For example if someone has a crummy GRE score and applied to Cornell with an avg GPA I wouldn't expect them to get accepted as Cornell places alot of emphasis on the GRE. Each school has it's own way it makes decisions and certain schools may not be the best option for you. You graduate with your bachelors next spring as in 2020? I wouldn't worry about a masters or LVT until then because there's still a whole other cycle between now and then. Depending on what your GPA is and what you're getting your degree in neither of those may be a good option for your situation.

This will probably get moved to what are my chances thread. I'll attempt to help, but everything is pretty vague so I can't give anything but general advice. I have a few questions first. Did you do a file review with your IS last year? If so what did they say? If not DO ONE THIS YEAR! They give the best feedback as they know what they want to see and what you were lacking. As far as your hours are they 1800 hours all in one aspect in vet med? If so diversify your hours if at all possible. Can you do two jobs serve and vet med or even just serve and shadow. You have alot of hours and money is important, but if you plan to apply again I wouldn't leave vet med entirely even if you just shadow once a week it still shows your interest in the profession plus youll need that ELOR next cycle. Research is research and is not veterinary experience especially if not supervised by a veterinarian. Follow the VMCAS flow chart. I would venture a guess to say based on the fact that you got interviews that not having reasearch experience is not holding you back, plus there are people who get in with no research experience at all. You say you feel no research is holding you back from getting interviews from OOS schools but you don't really wasnt to go OOS-did you apply OOS? If so maybe we need to evaluate what schools you applied to in correspondance with your stats. For example if someone has a crummy GRE score and applied to Cornell with an avg GPA I wouldn't expect them to get accepted as Cornell places alot of emphasis on the GRE. Each school has it's own way it makes decisions and certain schools may not be the best option for you. You graduate with your bachelors next spring as in 2020? I wouldn't worry about a masters or LVT until then because there's still a whole other cycle between now and then. Depending on what your GPA is and what you're getting your degree in neither of those may be a good option for your situation.

Most of my hours are in small animal, but around 300 are in wildlife. I have two references from the clinic I worked at recently who are vets. I feel they would leave me a good reference. I could volunteer at a local not for profit spay and neuter clinic or at my school...however I am not sure if I would be working among a veterinarian. If I did volunteer once a week, I would have to cut back on my work hours to fit that in. I also only got an interview at my in state school, not out of state

The reason I am concerned about money is because I am turning 26 soon and will have to pay for health, dental and vision insurance. I also have three cats and a dog I need to care for.

So you applied as a sophomore and then applied as a junior? You’re way ahead of yourself. While most vet schools don’t require a bachelor’s, it can make you more competitive. The more credit hours you have, the more competitive you are. It’s pretty rare to get accepted with only two years of school under your belt. In fact I don’t know anyone that’s done it. I got accepted without my bachelor’s but that’s because I had 138 credits and was half a class short of graduating. I had an extenuating circumstance for why I didn’t complete the class, and once I got in I decided I just wouldn’t complete it since I didn’t need it for vet school.

Anyway, you’d already be so far ahead of 99% of people getting in out of your sophomore or junior year that getting in out of your senior year isn’t considered behind. It’s right in schedule. In fact, more and more people (myself included) are taking a gap year, so you’d actually still be ahead of a ton of people. Think of it this way: if a job said “4 years experience preferred” and you got denied the job because you had 1, would you feel inadequate? Sure, you’re not in the 0.001% of people who managed to land the job with less than the desired experience, but that says nothing about the strength of YOU as an applicant. It has everything to do with you just not quite being where they want you to be yet, credit-wise.

However, DO NOT stop working or shadowing in vet med. It’s extremely important to continue gaining experience, not just for the hours, but to show that you’re keeping up to date with the profession and still showing an active interest. Research would be very helpful as well. You can probably get a position as an assistant and do maybe 4-5 hours a week or assisting. That’s enough to gain some experience, see what it’s liked and diversify your application. Some applicants present themselves as research-oriented. Others volunteer-oriented, and most vet-oriented. One type of experience isn’t inherently better than another, but vet experience proves you know about the profession you’re going to spend 4 years and countless hours studying. Keep up with it. You already have well over the required number of hours, so even just shadowing a little bit each week will be fine. Don’t become an LVT, don’t go for a masters. You don’t need that. Just keep working hard and applying. You’re so far ahead of where you need to be already. It’s okay if you’re forced to take a step back for a minute.

Hey guys,

Thanks guys,

Amy
Have you done a file review? If not, do that. We can give our best guess, but the school knows why you have been wait listed both years.

Research experience counts as research experience (at least when I applied last year). It doesn't matter if it is veterinary-related or under the supervision of a veterinarian - it still doesn't count as veterinary experience. It probably wouldn't hurt and it may give you a bit of a boost, but I highly doubt it is holding you back.

Have you applied out of state already and not received interviews? If so, where? With a high GPA and high number of vet hours, this suggests that there is another issue with your application or your school list is not playing to your strengths. A full WAMC post would help us give better advice.

Hello

This is kind of what I'm going through now minus the being a parent. My parents cant afford to pay for my schooling so I've basically worked full time and have gone to school full/part time (depending on the semester). I applied this cycle and got wait listed at UF (my IS) which was a complete suprise to me cause my GPA isnt great but I've been a vet tech in small animal practice for about 5 years now. They're doing the whole "holistic" approach too. Unfortunately i got rejected and I called the school for a file review and i felt completely devasted after I finished talking to her. My GPA is **** and there aren't alot of options to raise my GPA besides maybe retaking some classes along with some other science courses. I'm going to be adding research and large animal experience to my list but I honestly just feel so hopeless right now. I honestly dont see myself doing anything else.

This is kind of what I'm going through now minus the being a parent. My parents cant afford to pay for my schooling so I've basically worked full time and have gone to school full/part time (depending on the semester). I applied this cycle and got wait listed at UF (my IS) which was a complete suprise to me cause my GPA isnt great but I've been a vet tech in small animal practice for about 5 years now. They're doing the whole "holistic" approach too. Unfortunately i got rejected and I called the school for a file review and i felt completely devasted after I finished talking to her. My GPA is **** and there aren't alot of options to raise my GPA besides maybe retaking some classes along with some other science courses. I'm going to be adding research and large animal experience to my list but I honestly just feel so hopeless right now. I honestly dont see myself doing anything else.
Don’t feel horrible. I got into my IS with what I thought were pretty awful stats. They required the GRE so that helped since mine was on par for the quantitative and above average for verbal, but my GPA was way below average for them. I had a 3.32 according to my university, but a 3.0 according to VMCAS. My last 45 was a 3.70 and 3.45 respectively for how I said my cGPA. I really thought I didn’t stand a chance most places. However, I did have a lot of vet experience (3500 hours) and some research and animal experience. I do think that my interview sealed the deal though. Don’t give up hope. Just try and better the things you CAN help to outweigh the things you can’t.

Weird question, looking for opinions.
I applied last cycle and made it to the interview but was not accepted. I recently transitioned from shadowing at my local clinic (approx 18 months and 1200 hours) to being paid as a vet assistant. I pretty much do the exact same thing as when I was shadowing, check people in and out, exam room assistance, draw/administer vaccines, set up in house preop blood work and fecal floats, ect ect. How should I differentiate this in my resume portion of this cycles VMCAS? Seems pretty silly to list the exact same thing under veterinary supervision with two different titles (shadow vs compensated). Am I overthinking this?

I applied last cycle and made it to the interview but was not accepted. I recently transitioned from shadowing at my local clinic (approx 18 months and 1200 hours) to being paid as a vet assistant. I pretty much do the exact same thing as when I was shadowing, check people in and out, exam room assistance, draw/administer vaccines, set up in house preop blood work and fecal floats, ect ect. How should I differentiate this in my resume portion of this cycles VMCAS? Seems pretty silly to list the exact same thing under veterinary supervision with two different titles (shadow vs compensated). Am I overthinking this?

Probably overthinking it. If one was an unpaid experience (shadow) and the other was a paid experience (assistant) and money is the only differentiation between the two, then let the schools know that. You can change up the language; it might appear to be lazy if you simply copy and paste :) Schools will see that in your 1200 hours of shadowing experience you gained a lot of trust from the veterinarian as typically shadows are only allowed to observe. It sounds like you did much more than simply shadow and that sounds like a plus to me.

Over the summer I interned at a shelter clinic that started off as unpaid, but as I gained experience they essentially "promoted" me to being a paid employee. On my application I wrote that I began as an unpaid intern, but became a paid technician when the veterinarian decided that my skills were strong enough to work as an actual employee. I essentially did the same things that I had been doing before being paid, but I also received other opportunities such as being allowed to work by myself in the clinic. Definitely a good thing to differentiate because it shows that the clinic has evaluated your skills and that you're continuing to work in-depth within the veterinary field!

An easy way to list it on a physical resume would be something like (Volunteer: August 2017-December 2018, Paid: January 2019-present)

I transitioned from shadow to paid and I'm pretty sure I left it as one experience, marked it as compensated and put a line in the description that the first X amount of time was shadowing or something. I'm not positive that's what I did (would have to dig up the app and check) but I don't think I listed it twice at any rate.

Hi everyone
I need some advice regarding vet school. I am a pre-vet/animal science major. I have a cumulative 3.41 GPA and a 3.14 science GPA.
I am currently in my second semester of junior year. I want to graduate by the end of my first semester of senior year, solely due to how much another semester of classes will cost. I have...
  • 130 hours as a veterinarian assistant in a small animal clinic and working with the Amanda Foundation.
  • I have 72 of experience under veterinarian professors.
  • hours of animal experience working with rescue animals, and in a barn with food animals.
  • not sure if volunteering in animal contests counts but I have 7 hours from that
  • I also took a veterinarian assistant course to become certified with was 12 hours
I had a great family loss after I graduated from college and isolated myself a bit. I don't have extracurriculars during my time in college besides the beginning of freshman year but I did all through high school.
  • GRE: 152 verbal and 154 quantitative and writing 3.0
  • I am planning on retaking it to improve my score
Do you guys think I have any chance at getting in or do you guys have any advice?

How do you guys suggest I get to know my professors?
I feel like they don't know me at all, but I want to get good letters of rec.

Hi everyone
I need some advice regarding vet school. I am a pre-vet/animal science major. I have a cumulative 3.41 GPA and a 3.14 science GPA.
I am currently in my second semester of junior year. I want to graduate by the end of my first semester of senior year, solely due to how much another semester of classes will cost. I have...
  • 130 hours as a veterinarian assistant in a small animal clinic and working with the Amanda Foundation.
  • hours of animal experience working with rescue animals, and in a barn with food animals.
  • not sure if volunteering in animal contests counts but I have 7 hours from that
  • I also took a veterinarian assistant course to become certified with was 12 hours
I had a great family loss after I graduated from college and isolated myself a bit. I don't have extracurriculars during my time in college besides the beginning of freshman year but I did all through high school.
Do you guys think I have any chance at getting in or do you guys have any advice?

How do you guys suggest I get to know my professors?
I feel like they don't know me at all, but I want to get good letters of rec.
Do you have any research experience? A professor may be able to write you a stronger LOR if you did research for a bit (if applicable), not to mention research would look good on your app. However, if not, definitely not a big deal. Do you have any professors from small classes who knows you by name (preferable a class which you felt you participated a lot in).

Your GPA is a bit on the lower side but I’ve seen way lower. You can apply smartly for that. For example, Michigan doesn’t look at your grades once you pass their minimum GPA requirements.

Do you know how much experience you have in total? Experience can definitely boost an application significantly.

As for extracurriculars, honestly I only had extracurriculars related to school (research) or animals (volunteering at a shelter). It was something that definitely did not do any favors for my application. However, I did manage to get a couple acceptances so far so I wouldn’t say it Killed my chances. But if I could go back in time, I would definitely try to do something outside of school and animals. Not just for my application but for my enjoyment as well. Although I understand you plan on graduating soon, are there any clubs you can join that interests you? It might be good to look into that or any other extracurricular activities you may want (doesn’t even have to be anything associated with school)
Hope this helps!

What does the bolded mean? I mean, what type of experience is this?

At any rate, I think you could definitely benefit from more experience. You don't have a lot of veterinary hours and I'm not sure if you have much in the way of animal hours either (because "hours" is vague and I don't know what to make of it).

Extracurriculars are good because they show that you are a person who has a life outside of school and vet med. Do you have any hobbies? Keep in mind that extracurriculars don't have to be something associated with your school or an organization. For example, writing was a big hobby of mine throughout highschool and college so I added it to my application as an extracurricular even though it was something I largely just did on my own.

Where are you planning on applying? Do they even care about the GRE? If they do, how much weight do they place on it? It may or may not be worth spending the money on a retake so I would try to get an idea of where you want to apply and how they evaluate applicants before you jump into retaking.

Hi everyone! I'm a graduating senior in Animal Sciences, pre-vet, planning take a gap year while applying during the 2019-2020 cycle. Here are my stats & relevant info!
  • 3.24 current GPA, hoping to raise it to ~3.3 after this semester & while finishing up my 1-2 remaining prereqs
  • Some really horrible grades during my freshman and sophomore years due to a poor transition, social isolation & bad living situation. Was on academic probation for one semester. After that I got my **** together. Have been getting great grades the past 3 semesters (3.93 & Dean's List, 3.5, 3.7) and trying to continue this trend.
  • GRE scores — Quant 158, Verbal 162, Writing 4.0
  • Experience: 160 hours of a research summer program in high school, 125 hours of research experience with pigs during my fresh/soph years, 35 hours large animal, 400+ hours veterinary experience in a wildlife clinic, and currently have an internship in a shelter medical laboratory that should be about 135 hours.
  • Plan on working as a veterinary assistant during my gap year.
I am applying only to Illinois (my IS and my alma mater). Any thoughts or advice for me?

Hi everyone! I'm a graduating senior in Animal Sciences, pre-vet, planning take a gap year while applying during the 2019-2020 cycle. Here are my stats & relevant info!
  • 3.24 current GPA, hoping to raise it to ~3.3 after this semester & while finishing up my 1-2 remaining prereqs
  • Some really horrible grades during my freshman and sophomore years due to a poor transition, social isolation & bad living situation. Was on academic probation for one semester. After that I got my **** together. Have been getting great grades the past 3 semesters (3.93 & Dean's List, 3.5, 3.7) and trying to continue this trend.
  • GRE scores — Quant 158, Verbal 162, Writing 4.0
  • Experience: 160 hours of a research summer program in high school, 125 hours of research experience with pigs during my fresh/soph years, 35 hours large animal, 400+ hours veterinary experience in a wildlife clinic, and currently have an internship in a shelter medical laboratory that should be about 135 hours.
  • Plan on working as a veterinary assistant during my gap year.
I am applying only to Illinois (my IS and my alma mater). Any thoughts or advice for me?

Hey - I definitely didn't have the most stellar GPA and I've been accepted to a few schools this year. I would really push the grade improvement trend in your essays. Show that you can overcome mistakes (bad grades) and learn from them. Highlight the dean's list thing.
If possible (financially) apply to as many schools as you can. I do think IL will like that you're instate and a grad! Other than that, it sounds like you just need to keep building hours this year. Maybe try to find a couple really interesting things like exotic med, etc. Just some thoughts! Good luck!!

Hey - I definitely didn't have the most stellar GPA and I've been accepted to a few schools this year. I would really push the grade improvement trend in your essays. Show that you can overcome mistakes (bad grades) and learn from them. Highlight the dean's list thing.
If possible (financially) apply to as many schools as you can. I do think IL will like that you're instate and a grad! Other than that, it sounds like you just need to keep building hours this year. Maybe try to find a couple really interesting things like exotic med, etc. Just some thoughts! Good luck!!

Can I ask for a general range of your GPA? Or if you failed any classes/had any grade replacements/etc? It's ok if not, just curious!

Do you think my stats are competitive enough to apply for OOS schools? It was my understanding that the OOS applicant pool tends to be stiffer competition than the IS applicant pool, and I wasn't sure if it would be a waste of cash to even bother applying for that reason.

Thanks for the advice re: exotic med! I looked up a zoo vet near my hometown and plan on reaching out to see if I can shadow them. I appreciate your help. I was also thinking more LA experience would be helpful to get accepted, but I'm not too sure about that because my ideal career would be small animal focused. :woot:

Can I ask for a general range of your GPA? Or if you failed any classes/had any grade replacements/etc? It's ok if not, just curious!

Do you think my stats are competitive enough to apply for OOS schools? It was my understanding that the OOS applicant pool tends to be stiffer competition than the IS applicant pool, and I wasn't sure if it would be a waste of cash to even bother applying for that reason.

Thanks for the advice re: exotic med! I looked up a zoo vet near my hometown and plan on reaching out to see if I can shadow them. I appreciate your help. I was also thinking more LA experience would be helpful to get accepted, but I'm not too sure about that because my ideal career would be small animal focused. :woot:

Yes of course! My stats are all here: Successful Applicants Stats - Class of 2023
Search my username "cheval12" and you'll find my post. I mention my stats and also my weird/non-traditional story.
I did not fail any classes. I got a "D" in an accounting course, retook it, and got a B. I definitely did get some "C's" though!
I think it would definitely be beneficial to apply to some out of state schools. I've been accepted to several. Just make sure you meet any minimum requirements (ie if they require OOS applicants to have a 3.3 cumulative or something and you don't have that, then no need to waste the money).
PM me if you ever have any other/more specific questions! Hope this helps :)

I’m sure I’ve posted this question before but I am forgetful. My overall GPA is a 3.5, science is a 3.6, but my last 45 has a downward trend so I’m looking at a 3.1. I can’t afford to retake any of the courses (made a C in 3 courses), so I’m unsure whether I should focus on more veterinary hours or what. I graduate this May, and I’m working full-time after I graduate. I’ll have 1300 hours by the end of May in veterinary experience. I’m really torn, because I suffer from seasonal depression so I don’t want schools to look down on me because I had a horrible fall semester. I made 3 Cs in the fall semester, but I also lost my grandfather, and my professor in that semester so I really struggled. I’ve always had this consistency with where I thrive in the Spring/Summer but suffer in Fall/Winter since I was 12. I’m just so stuck.

Posted to another thread, but I figured I'd post here as well. Looking for some advice about what to do while I wait!:

Found out on Monday that I was waitlisted IS at VMCVM and OOS at UW-Madison. Interviewing this weekend at UIUC, and waiting to hear back from from MSU (interviewed in January, told I won’t hear back until after 3/1). I applied to 5 schools, but so far only a firm no from one (Mizzou- not surprised based on the responses here!). Should I still be hopeful, or should I plan on applying to RUSVM/applying again next cycle? My stomach is doing somersaults!

Status
Not open for further replies.