This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What are my chances?

  • Great!

    Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

    Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

    Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

    Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

    Votes: 68 50.0%

  • Total voters
    136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A little, particularly if you're looking to apply to NCSU or UGA out of state.

You'd have to really look at the tuition difference. I suspect over the course of 4 years it may be worth it to be IS, even if getting residency is initially expensive. But if you don't like LSU/aren't going to want to apply there anyway, then there isn't really a point in getting residency.

Decisions, decisions. I don't really want to spend another 10 years in this state but... saving $120k... easier admission...
 
Decisions, decisions. I don't really want to spend another 10 years in this state but... saving $120k... easier admission...
Whatever your cheapest option is, do it. Residency wise, you could try there, or you could always do a gap year, move to the place you want to go to school, and establish residency there. NC-state allows for you to obtain in-state after your first year, so cost wise for 4 years is a but under 100k (tuition) for an OOS that becomes IS. So probably not worth it to do it at North Carolina, but could be very much worth it to do UGA. Just remember that nc-state and UGA are both very difficult for OOS to get into.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whatever your cheapest option is, do it. Residency wise, you could try there, or you could always do a gap year, move to the place you want to go to school, and establish residency there. NC-state allows for you to obtain in-state after your first year, so cost wise for 4 years is a but under 100k (tuition) for an OOS that becomes IS. So probably not worth it to do it at North Carolina, but could be very much worth it to do UGA. Just remember that nc-state and UGA are both very difficult for OOS to get into.

Good point...

y'all have given me a lot to think about. Thanks!
 
Do you mean a second B.S.? I'm not sure adcoms will care when you already have a degree in Animal Science. Potentially hard, almost definitely boring extra classes to fulfill arbitrary degree requirements aren't worth the money. Plus, you've already got school/work/family on your plate...don't overwork yourself. 🙂

Unless you mean an advanced degree, like an M.S. in something sciencey -- definitely would help your app if you got a good GPA, open up new job opportunities, etc. but not everyone's cup of tea.

Yeah I was talking about a 2nd degree. If anything I'd do business maybe... As I would like to own my own practice. I suppose I could also use business classes if I were to open my own dog boarding place. Then at least the degree would be good for something.

But I guess work and baby do keep me pretty busy so maybe I should focus on finishing my pre-reqs
 
This probably isn't the best place to put this, but I really wanted to give some of you out there hope. I remember going through these "What are my chances?" threads way back before I applied and it really was depressing/ stressful... So I think it would be nice for you to see this within this thread just to help boost your confidence a bit.

I was a chemistry major in a competitive undergrad (one of the UC's) and I'm not going to lie or make excuses; I just really didn't put forth any effort in any of my studies. I originally wanted to just get school over with and just work, but by my last quarter of my 4th year, I completely changed my mind and wanted to be a vet. So I had tons of catching up to do. I had 0 animal/ vet experience. I decided to not finish my last GE so I could stay a 5th year and I crammed as many biology prerequisites as I could. I took 1 year after I graduated to get as much experience as possible before I applied, and even took 2 or 3 more biology type classes at a community college to SORTA boost my GPA (I had numerous Cs and even a few Ds and even 1 F).

Anyway, the first time I applied,I actually got in (I think I was 24 at the time). I was SUPER limited on which schools to apply to by my prerequisites, my GPA, and I didn't have a professor evaluation because my grades were too crappy even for me to ask for one. I believe I was only able to apply to 6 schools.

Here are my horrible horrible stats, but I really hope it gives some of you hope:

Cum GPA: 2.89 :nailbiting:

Science GPA: 2.50!!!! 🤢🤢🤢 honestly, barely even made the cut off for the schools I applied to... I think most schools require a 2.75 to even apply argh.

Last 45 GPA: 3.00 😵

GRE: V152 (54%) Q160 (78%) A3.5 (38%) - only took this once

Veterinary Experience
- 2500 hours with SA vets (2000 tech-ing, 500 vet assistant internship)
Definitely feel like I got lucky getting a tech job with no RVT... obviously it was minimum wage, but still better than nothing

Animal Experience
- 700 hours wildlife

Research
-None

Employment
- 1800 hours lab assistant
- 800 hours retail

Awards/ Honors
Had quite a bit in high school, was actually pretty studious back in the day... I put them down, but I'm not really sure they REALLY accounted for anything since everything else was so crappy... or maybe they saw that I had potential? heh

Letters of Recommendation
- General manager at wildlife/ conservation center
- 2 DVMs of SAs

THAT BEING SAID, don't go screwing around like me because it was the most stressful phase in my life... I felt so lost and didn't know where I was headed. Everyday I constantly worried about what else I would do instead since I really didn't have a passion about anything else... Still can't believe I got in my first time. Of course, I'm totally working hard now that I'm in vet school and seriously can't wait to graduate 🙂.
 
Last edited:
This probably isn't the best place to put this, but I really wanted to give some of you out there hope. I remember going through these "What are my chances?" threads way back before I applied and it really was depressing/ stressful... So I think it would be nice for you to see this within this thread just to help boost your confidence a bit.

I was a chemistry major in a competitive undergrad (one of the UC's) and I'm not going to lie or make excuses; I just really didn't put forth any effort in any of my studies. I originally wanted to just get school over with and just work, but by my last quarter of my 4th year, I completely changed my mind and wanted to be a vet. So I had tons of catching up to do. I had 0 animal/ vet experience. I decided to not finish my last GE so I could stay a 5th year and I crammed as many biology prerequisites as I could. I took 1 year after I graduated to get as much experience as possible before I applied, and even took 2 or 3 more biology type classes at a community college to SORTA boost my GPA (I had numerous Cs and even a few Ds and even 1 F).

Anyway, the first time I applied,I actually got in (I think I was 24 at the time). I was SUPER limited on which schools to apply to by my prerequisites, my GPA, and I didn't have a professor evaluation because my grades were too crappy even for me to ask for one. I believe I was only able to apply to 6 schools.

Here are my horrible horrible stats, but I really hope it gives some of you hope:

Cum GPA: 2.89 :nailbiting:

Science GPA: 2.50!!!! 🤢🤢🤢 honestly, barely even made the cut off for the schools I applied to... I think most schools require a 2.75 to even apply argh.

Last 45 GPA: 3.00 😵

GRE: V152 (54%) Q160 (78%) A3.5 (38%) - only took this once

Veterinary Experience
- 2500 hours with SA vets (2000 tech-ing, 500 vet assistant internship)
Definitely feel like I got lucky getting a tech job with no RVT... obviously it was minimum wage, but still better than nothing

Animal Experience
- 700 hours wildlife

Research
-None

Employment
- 1800 hours lab assistant
- 800 hours retail

Awards/ Honors
Had quite a bit in high school, was actually pretty studious back in the day... I put them down, but I'm not really sure they REALLY accounted for anything since everything else was so crappy... or maybe they saw that I had potential?

Letters of Recommendation
- General manager at wildlife/ conservation center
- 2 DVMs of SAs

THAT BEING SAID, don't go screwing around like me because it was the most stressful phase in my life... I felt so lost and didn't know where I was headed. Everyday I constantly worried about what else I would do instead since I really didn't have a passion about anything else... Still can't believe I got in my first time. Of course, I'm totally working hard now that I'm in vet school and seriously can't wait to graduate 🙂.


Thanks for posting this! Just curious what school you're attending?

Congrats!
 
This probably isn't the best place to put this, but I really wanted to give some of you out there hope. I remember going through these "What are my chances?" threads way back before I applied and it really was depressing/ stressful... So I think it would be nice for you to see this within this thread just to help boost your confidence a bit.

I was a chemistry major in a competitive undergrad (one of the UC's) and I'm not going to lie or make excuses; I just really didn't put forth any effort in any of my studies. I originally wanted to just get school over with and just work, but by my last quarter of my 4th year, I completely changed my mind and wanted to be a vet. So I had tons of catching up to do. I had 0 animal/ vet experience. I decided to not finish my last GE so I could stay a 5th year and I crammed as many biology prerequisites as I could. I took 1 year after I graduated to get as much experience as possible before I applied, and even took 2 or 3 more biology type classes at a community college to SORTA boost my GPA (I had numerous Cs and even a few Ds and even 1 F).

Anyway, the first time I applied,I actually got in (I think I was 24 at the time). I was SUPER limited on which schools to apply to by my prerequisites, my GPA, and I didn't have a professor evaluation because my grades were too crappy even for me to ask for one. I believe I was only able to apply to 6 schools.

Here are my horrible horrible stats, but I really hope it gives some of you hope:

Cum GPA: 2.89 :nailbiting:

Science GPA: 2.50!!!! 🤢🤢🤢 honestly, barely even made the cut off for the schools I applied to... I think most schools require a 2.75 to even apply argh.

Last 45 GPA: 3.00 😵

GRE: V152 (54%) Q160 (78%) A3.5 (38%) - only took this once

Veterinary Experience
- 2500 hours with SA vets (2000 tech-ing, 500 vet assistant internship)
Definitely feel like I got lucky getting a tech job with no RVT... obviously it was minimum wage, but still better than nothing

Animal Experience
- 700 hours wildlife

Research
-None

Employment
- 1800 hours lab assistant
- 800 hours retail

Awards/ Honors
Had quite a bit in high school, was actually pretty studious back in the day... I put them down, but I'm not really sure they REALLY accounted for anything since everything else was so crappy... or maybe they saw that I had potential? heh

Letters of Recommendation
- General manager at wildlife/ conservation center
- 2 DVMs of SAs

THAT BEING SAID, don't go screwing around like me because it was the most stressful phase in my life... I felt so lost and didn't know where I was headed. Everyday I constantly worried about what else I would do instead since I really didn't have a passion about anything else... Still can't believe I got in my first time. Of course, I'm totally working hard now that I'm in vet school and seriously can't wait to graduate 🙂.
There are "Accepted Applicant Stats" threads for each year if you wanted to put your stats into one of those 🙂
 
This probably isn't the best place to put this, but I really wanted to give some of you out there hope. I remember going through these "What are my chances?" threads way back before I applied and it really was depressing/ stressful... So I think it would be nice for you to see this within this thread just to help boost your confidence a bit.

I was a chemistry major in a competitive undergrad (one of the UC's) and I'm not going to lie or make excuses; I just really didn't put forth any effort in any of my studies. I originally wanted to just get school over with and just work, but by my last quarter of my 4th year, I completely changed my mind and wanted to be a vet. So I had tons of catching up to do. I had 0 animal/ vet experience. I decided to not finish my last GE so I could stay a 5th year and I crammed as many biology prerequisites as I could. I took 1 year after I graduated to get as much experience as possible before I applied, and even took 2 or 3 more biology type classes at a community college to SORTA boost my GPA (I had numerous Cs and even a few Ds and even 1 F).

Anyway, the first time I applied,I actually got in (I think I was 24 at the time). I was SUPER limited on which schools to apply to by my prerequisites, my GPA, and I didn't have a professor evaluation because my grades were too crappy even for me to ask for one. I believe I was only able to apply to 6 schools.

Here are my horrible horrible stats, but I really hope it gives some of you hope:

Cum GPA: 2.89 :nailbiting:

Science GPA: 2.50!!!! 🤢🤢🤢 honestly, barely even made the cut off for the schools I applied to... I think most schools require a 2.75 to even apply argh.

Last 45 GPA: 3.00 😵

GRE: V152 (54%) Q160 (78%) A3.5 (38%) - only took this once

Veterinary Experience
- 2500 hours with SA vets (2000 tech-ing, 500 vet assistant internship)
Definitely feel like I got lucky getting a tech job with no RVT... obviously it was minimum wage, but still better than nothing

Animal Experience
- 700 hours wildlife

Research
-None

Employment
- 1800 hours lab assistant
- 800 hours retail

Awards/ Honors
Had quite a bit in high school, was actually pretty studious back in the day... I put them down, but I'm not really sure they REALLY accounted for anything since everything else was so crappy... or maybe they saw that I had potential? heh

Letters of Recommendation
- General manager at wildlife/ conservation center
- 2 DVMs of SAs

THAT BEING SAID, don't go screwing around like me because it was the most stressful phase in my life... I felt so lost and didn't know where I was headed. Everyday I constantly worried about what else I would do instead since I really didn't have a passion about anything else... Still can't believe I got in my first time. Of course, I'm totally working hard now that I'm in vet school and seriously can't wait to graduate 🙂.
Just curious...where were you accepted? I'm also in a competitive biology program and busting my butt yet grades are low. I'm dying to know what school accepted with a low GPA. I just got denied an interview at one school because I didn't make the grades.
 
Here it goes...

Hi everyone! Long time stalker. Thought I'd finally get some feedback on my stats. I was hoping for some advice on what schools seem feasible. I'm an untraditional student and VMRCVM is my IS. My focus would be public health, policy, and government applications. I'm always looking to get farm animal experience, but I'm having trouble finding veterinary opportunities without already being in vet school. (Any advice would be super appreciated! 😀 ) My intentions are to apply during Fall 2015.

The GPAs
Cumulative, current: 3.25
Science. projected (Physics I & II, O. Chem I & II, Bio I & II, Biochem): ~ 3.50
Last 45, current: 3.53

GRE: taken once
V: 161 (87%)
Q: 158 (72%)
A: 5.0 (93%)

Veterinary Experience
- ~700 hours with wildlife vet (birds are cool!)
- ~1000+ SA vets, working as a tech
- ~100 hours with equine vet

Animal Experience
- volunteer at a horse rescue when possible
- worked at a herpetology captive breeding center throughout high school

Research
- 1.5 years microbio research (paid)
- 5 months of cell laboratory work (unpaid)
- 4 months of public health research (paid)
- 2 months of ecology and animal zonation research (unpaid)

Employment
- most of this falls under the research or veterinary experience
- pet care associate right out of high school at the local pet store

Awards/ Honors
- a couple lucky breaks here and there; no graduation awards or honors

Letters of Recommendation
- researcher (PhD)
- wildlife vet (DVM)
- professor (PhD)



I really hope to go to VMRCVM. Does anyone have advice on how to improve my stats and an unbiased thought on my chances? My science GPA including all science courses, with any repeats, is a 2.95 -- but it seems like VMRCVM is most concerned about their 'required science credits', which is what I included above. Do you think they take the rest with a grain of salt? I'm sure the best way to find out is by asking them.. haha...

I guess I'm curious about how our files are relayed via VMCAS and a little curious about what I will look like to admissions committees. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
 
Last edited:
Just curious...where were you accepted? I'm also in a competitive biology program and busting my butt yet grades are low. I'm dying to know what school accepted with a low GPA. I just got denied an interview at one school because I didn't make the grades.
maybe ross or st georges
 
Let me know what you guys think of my stats. I'm a bit worried that my GPA is holding me back, and want to know how I can make up for it in other areas! My IS is Cornell, and I'm also looking at Tufts, Illinois, VMRCVM, and Michigan.

Cumulative GPA:
3.40
Science GPA: 3.22
Last 45: 3.51

GRE: V160 (84%), Q157 (69%), W5 (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
1000 hours as a veterinary assistant at a mixed practice clinic (majority small animal, but about 100 hours large animal)
40 hours working at an equine hospital
100 hours working with a veterinary oncologist
50 hours shadowing at a small animal clinic

Animal Experience:
~7000 working/riding at a horse barn (huge estimation, have been working here for 14 years)
40 hours interning at a zoo

Employment:
1 year as a biology lab intern (introduction to biology and animal structure classes)
1 year in retail
1 year as a receptionist at a college

Awards/Honors:
A bunch from high school but nothing special

Letters of Recommendation:
Owner/trainer at the barn I've been going to for the past 14 years
Veterinarian I currently work for
Biochemistry professor
 
Let me know what you guys think of my stats. I'm a bit worried that my GPA is holding me back, and want to know how I can make up for it in other areas! My IS is Cornell, and I'm also looking at Tufts, Illinois, VMRCVM, and Michigan.

Cumulative GPA:
3.40
Science GPA: 3.22
Last 45: 3.51

GRE: V160 (84%), Q157 (69%), W5 (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
1000 hours as a veterinary assistant at a mixed practice clinic (majority small animal, but about 100 hours large animal)
40 hours working at an equine hospital
100 hours working with a veterinary oncologist
50 hours shadowing at a small animal clinic

Animal Experience:
~7000 working/riding at a horse barn (huge estimation, have been working here for 14 years)
40 hours interning at a zoo

Employment:
1 year as a biology lab intern (introduction to biology and animal structure classes)
1 year in retail
1 year as a receptionist at a college

Awards/Honors:
A bunch from high school but nothing special

Letters of Recommendation:
Owner/trainer at the barn I've been going to for the past 14 years
Veterinarian I currently work for
Biochemistry professor


This looks pretty good! Your GPA/GRE is super solid and you seem really well rounded (LoR and vet experience). Maybe some research experience?
 
Well, here goes.

GPA: 3.2
Science: 3.2
GRE 1150, old system, will have to retake but that's an idea of what my score is

Not the best GPA but that's over 9 years, I have a bachelor's, master's (both from Mississippi State) and PhD in Poultry Science (Auburn).

400 hours vet experience, 50/50 large and small animal
5 years of poultry disease/health research (vaccinating, healthcare, necropsy, disease reporting, husbandry etc)
3 first author peer reviewed journal articles in this field
13 presentations at scientific forums
2 extension publications
4 undergrad level courses taught
6 invited speaking engagements

I managed a lab for 1.5 years during my post doc, budget, grant writing, salary, ordering materials, at least I have a little sense for running a pseudo-business.

Letters of recommendation:
Vet I worked for
PhD Major Professor
PhD Committee member

Won't be applying until next year, I have to take 4 courses that were added to the prereqs since I graduated in 05. I guess what worries me is my GPA. Mississippi State is my instate school.

Advice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, here goes.

GPA: 3.2
Science: 3.2
GRE 1150, old system, will have to retake but that's an idea of what my score is

Not the best GPA but that's over 9 years, I have a bachelor's, master's (both from Mississippi State) and PhD in Poultry Science (Auburn).

400 hours vet experience, 50/50 large and small animal
5 years of poultry disease/health research (vaccinating, healthcare, necropsy, disease reporting, husbandry etc)
3 first author peer reviewed journal articles in this field
13 presentations at scientific forums
2 extension publications
4 undergrad level courses taught
6 invited speaking engagements

I managed a lab for 1.5 years during my post doc, budget, grant writing, salary, ordering materials, at least I have a little sense for running a pseudo-business.

Letters of recommendation:
Vet I worked for
PhD Major Professor
PhD Committee member

Won't be applying until next year, I have to take 4 courses that were added to the prereqs since I graduated in 05. I guess what worries me is my GPA. Mississippi State is my instate school.

Advice?

Your PhD GPA should be the most that they will look at, and of course your GRE. Good luck
 
Depending on the school, they'll look at your Last 45 credits GPA, your Cumulative GPA, and your Science GPA. I don't know specifics about Mississippi State. But If you completely rock those 4 courses you're taking, that will definitely help your Cumulative and Last 45 GPA.
 
Your PhD GPA should be the most that they will look at, and of course your GRE. Good luck
Is this how mississippi does it? Because at tennessee, your graduate GPA doesn't count toward anything, except your cumulative GPA. Last 45, science, etc, all come from undergraduate only.
 
Is this how mississippi does it? Because at tennessee, your graduate GPA doesn't count toward anything, except your cumulative GPA. Last 45, science, etc, all come from undergraduate only.
every school is different. its why we recommend calling the schools you are interested in to find out
 
Alright so I know I'm out for the 2019 cycle but anyone want to give me advice about schools to apply for for the 2020 cycle? 🙂
My list: LSU, Mizzou (2nd time applying), NC State, Oregon State, and Western University

B.S. in Zoology from Southern Illinois University (will graduate 2015);
Cumulative GPA: 3.360 (1 more semester to boost this, same goes for the other GPAs, on an upward streak 3.4 and 3.6 are my most current semesters)
Science: 3.4
Last 45: 3.33

GRE Score
Q: 152 (48% below) V:152 (52% below) A: 4.0 (56% below)

Vet Experience: 226 hr
All shadowing, I plan on doing an externship this spring break and have applied for a vet assistant job for next year

Animal Experience: 632 hr (not including pet ownership)
Wildlife rehab center
Animal shelter
Plan on continuing volunteering at the wildlife shelter and getting an internship at a tiger sanctuary next fall

Research: 80 hr (statistical analysis and dairy cattle)
Plan on getting an internship at the zoo this summer doing reproductive research

Honors/Awards: Sigma Alpha Pi Leadership Society, Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Society, LP Honor Society, High Scholarship Legion, USA Gymanstics State Champion 5 time, Housing excellence award,

Community activity: Team Paws, Volunteer for data entry,5 time Half-Marathon runner, Saluki Science Ambassadors, Zoology Club, Full Marathon Runner, In the running to be a fraternity sweetheart, joining a club that trains service dogs.


Employment: University Housing Resident Assistant (2 years), and Math Tutor (1 year)

Sorry a lot of this is hypothetical as of now but I thought it may influence your responses! You're all great and I hope you have a great holiday season :angelic:
 
Alright so I know I'm out for the 2019 cycle but anyone want to give me advice about schools to apply for for the 2020 cycle? 🙂
My list: LSU, Mizzou (2nd time applying), NC State, Oregon State, and Western University

B.S. in Zoology from Southern Illinois University (will graduate 2015);
Cumulative GPA: 3.360 (1 more semester to boost this, same goes for the other GPAs, on an upward streak 3.4 and 3.6 are my most current semesters)
Science: 3.4
Last 45: 3.33

GRE Score
Q: 152 (48% below) V:152 (52% below) A: 4.0 (56% below)

Vet Experience: 226 hr
All shadowing, I plan on doing an externship this spring break and have applied for a vet assistant job for next year

Animal Experience: 632 hr (not including pet ownership)
Wildlife rehab center
Animal shelter
Plan on continuing volunteering at the wildlife shelter and getting an internship at a tiger sanctuary next fall

Research: 80 hr (statistical analysis and dairy cattle)
Plan on getting an internship at the zoo this summer doing reproductive research

Honors/Awards: Sigma Alpha Pi Leadership Society, Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Society, LP Honor Society, High Scholarship Legion, USA Gymanstics State Champion 5 time, Housing excellence award,

Community activity: Team Paws, Volunteer for data entry,5 time Half-Marathon runner, Saluki Science Ambassadors, Zoology Club, Full Marathon Runner, In the running to be a fraternity sweetheart, joining a club that trains service dogs.


Employment: University Housing Resident Assistant (2 years), and Math Tutor (1 year)

Sorry a lot of this is hypothetical as of now but I thought it may influence your responses! You're all great and I hope you have a great holiday season :angelic:
My suggestions:
Definitely keep up the good work trying to improve your gpa. If you want to apply to NC State as an OOS applicant, that's going to be important. They do seem to weigh gpa rather heavily, and they don't take many OOS students. I would also maybe look at improving your GRE score. Depends on the school, but it could help. The plans you have for experiences look good. Just make sure that you are able to get diverse vet experiences. You didn't say what area your current experiences are in, but you want to try to hit a few categories: small, large, equine, exotics, shelter, zoo, etc. Usually schools suggest at least 500 vet hours, but most people seem to hit 1000.
 
My suggestions:
Definitely keep up the good work trying to improve your gpa. If you want to apply to NC State as an OOS applicant, that's going to be important. They do seem to weigh gpa rather heavily, and they don't take many OOS students. I would also maybe look at improving your GRE score. Depends on the school, but it could help. The plans you have for experiences look good. Just make sure that you are able to get diverse vet experiences. You didn't say what area your current experiences are in, but you want to try to hit a few categories: small, large, equine, exotics, shelter, zoo, etc. Usually schools suggest at least 500 vet hours, but most people seem to hit 1000.
Going along this train of thought, NC-state will actually not admit you if your GPA in any of the 3 categories (I think it was all 3, but WZ can correct me) is below a 3.4 as an OOS. Otherwise, definitely agree on everything that WZ said. If you can hit at least 3 categories with experience, while increasing it a fair amount, and continue that upward trend in GPA, and possibly up that GRE score a bit, then things should hopefully turn out differently next cycle 🙂
 
Going along this train of thought, NC-state will actually not admit you if your GPA in any of the 3 categories (I think it was all 3, but WZ can correct me) is below a 3.4 as an OOS. Otherwise, definitely agree on everything that WZ said. If you can hit at least 3 categories with experience, while increasing it a fair amount, and continue that upward trend in GPA, and possibly up that GRE score a bit, then things should hopefully turn out differently next cycle 🙂
This is correct. Your cumulative, required course, and last 45 GPA must be at least 3.4 to meet their academic requirements as an OOS applicant.
 
This is correct. Your cumulative, required course, and last 45 GPA must be at least 3.4 to meet their academic requirements as an OOS applicant.

One reason I didn't apply this go around 🙁 I was hoping to improve with my last 2 semesters and I'm thankfully on the right track 🙂 I'm starting to really like how Western University looks though the more I read about it! I actually like the Problem Based Learning method so who knows could be the one next time if I keep getting diversity in experience! Oh and I have animal hours and Vet hours in small animal, exotic, and Zoo. I have some experience in Large animal but I need more! Something I'm still looking into 😉
 
One reason I didn't apply this go around 🙁 I was hoping to improve with my last 2 semesters and I'm thankfully on the right track 🙂 I'm starting to really like how Western University looks though the more I read about it! I actually like the Problem Based Learning method so who knows could be the one next time if I keep getting diversity in experience! Oh and I have animal hours and Vet hours in small animal, exotic, and Zoo. I have some experience in Large animal but I need more! Something I'm still looking into 😉
Seems like you are on the right track to me 🙂 I also found out something new for NCSU, apparently they no longer round up, so if you have a 3.39 that does not meet the cut-off. Just something to keep in mind!
 
So, I was just wondering what my chances would be for applying for the class of 2020 and how I could strengthen my application.

My List: Tufts, NC State, Minnesota, and UGA

B.A. in Neuroscience, minor in Chemistry from Smith College in May of 2014.
Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Last 45: 3.87
I had a really rough junior year that tanked my GPA, but I managed to pull myself back together my senior year. Can't really explain that to the admissions boards though. I plan on taking 2 courses this spring, so hopefully that will pull my GPA up a little bit.

GRE Score
Q: 155 (60% below) V:161 (87% below) A: 4.5 (80% below)
I'm contemplating retaking them though to boost my Q score.

Vet/Animal Experience:
Work as a Vet Assistant: 375 hours so far
Humane Society: 5 hours so far
I'm working at one of my local clinics 40+ hours a week, so by the time I actually apply this summer I'll have a ton more hours.

Research:
I spent 2 summers doing 400 hours of paid research each in both a Biomedical Engineering Lab and a Neuroscience Lab. The Neuro lab involved mice, but I'm not sure how much that counts.
I also did 2 3 credit "Special Studies" things during the school year my senior year in the the same labs. I'm not sure how many hours that works out to though.
Also did 2 poster presentations.

Honors/Awards:
Dean's List: 2011-2012 and 2013-2014
Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society
Nu Rho Psi Neuroscience Honor Society
National Merit Scholar Semi- Finalest

Leadership
Secretary of the Pioneer Valley Chapter of Nu Rho Psi (2013-2014)
Smith Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Representative (2013-2014)
Swimming and Diving NCAA Athlete (2010-2014)
Residence Life Leadership: Community Service Representative and House Historian (2010-2012)

Extra Curriculars

NCAA Athlete (Swimming), Humane Society Volunteer, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Nu Rho Psi


Employment
Retail (1 year), Smith College Health Services (1 year), Vet Clinic (Will be ~9 months when I apply)


So yeah. That's all I can remember right now. Just looking on opinions for schools that would be a good fit for me (I'm interested in being a small animal vet) and how I could strengthen my application, especially with my GPA. Thanks! 🙂
 

Attachments

  • upload_2014-12-14_22-0-44.png
    upload_2014-12-14_22-0-44.png
    95 bytes · Views: 155
So, I was just wondering what my chances would be for applying for the class of 2020 and how I could strengthen my application.

My List: Tufts, NC State, Minnesota, and UGA

B.A. in Neuroscience, minor in Chemistry from Smith College in May of 2014.
Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Last 45: 3.87
I had a really rough junior year that tanked my GPA, but I managed to pull myself back together my senior year. Can't really explain that to the admissions boards though. I plan on taking 2 courses this spring, so hopefully that will pull my GPA up a little bit.

GRE Score
Q: 155 (60% below) V:161 (87% below) A: 4.5 (80% below)
I'm contemplating retaking them though to boost my Q score.

Vet/Animal Experience:
Work as a Vet Assistant: 375 hours so far
Humane Society: 5 hours so far
I'm working at one of my local clinics 40+ hours a week, so by the time I actually apply this summer I'll have a ton more hours.

Research:
I spent 2 summers doing 400 hours of paid research each in both a Biomedical Engineering Lab and a Neuroscience Lab. The Neuro lab involved mice, but I'm not sure how much that counts.
I also did 2 3 credit "Special Studies" things during the school year my senior year in the the same labs. I'm not sure how many hours that works out to though.
Also did 2 poster presentations.

Honors/Awards:
Dean's List: 2011-2012 and 2013-2014
Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society
Nu Rho Psi Neuroscience Honor Society
National Merit Scholar Semi- Finalest

Leadership
Secretary of the Pioneer Valley Chapter of Nu Rho Psi (2013-2014)
Smith Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Representative (2013-2014)
Swimming and Diving NCAA Athlete (2010-2014)
Residence Life Leadership: Community Service Representative and House Historian (2010-2012)

Extra Curriculars

NCAA Athlete (Swimming), Humane Society Volunteer, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Nu Rho Psi


Employment
Retail (1 year), Smith College Health Services (1 year), Vet Clinic (Will be ~9 months when I apply)


So yeah. That's all I can remember right now. Just looking on opinions for schools that would be a good fit for me (I'm interested in being a small animal vet) and how I could strengthen my application, especially with my GPA. Thanks! 🙂

I'm still a pre-vet and I'm only really familiar with NCSU, so take my advice with a grain of salt:

Your GRE scores seem average to competitive to me. Unless you're confident you'll do better, a retake might not be worth the money, assuming your spring classes go well. I've seen plenty on SDN get in with lower scores!

On that note, assuming you're OOS for NCSU, they'll cut you out of the applicant pool if you have less than a 3.4 for cumulative GPA, last 45, and required courses. You're good on the last 45, but hopefully this'll motivate you to really ace your classes this next semester. Oh, and you might want to check whether your required course GPA will make the mark.

Finally for NCSU, they reaaaally like to see applicants with diverse veterinary experience (i.e. at least 3 areas of vet med). It seems like you will only have small animal and research. Maybe spend some weekends riding along with an equine or large animal vet?

Otherwise you seem to be on the right track. If you're OOS for UGA, just know that they have something like a 2% OOS acceptance rate. Good luck!
 
Just curious...where were you accepted? I'm also in a competitive biology program and busting my butt yet grades are low. I'm dying to know what school accepted with a low GPA. I just got denied an interview at one school because I didn't make the grades.

AVC in Canada. It was the only school I applied to that was outside the U.S. I also applied to UC Davis, Western in Pomona, Michigan... It was a while ago, so can't really remember the other 2 schools I applied to, unfortunately... Their requirements may have changed, so not sure how much it will help listing the schools I applied to anyway :\.
 
Just curious...where were you accepted? I'm also in a competitive biology program and busting my butt yet grades are low. I'm dying to know what school accepted with a low GPA. I just got denied an interview at one school because I didn't make the grades.

AVC in Canada. It was the only school I applied to that was outside the U.S. I also applied to UC Davis, Western in Pomona, Michigan... It was a while ago, so can't really remember the other 2 schools I applied to, unfortunately... Their requirements may have changed, so not sure how much it will help listing the schools I applied to anyway :\.

@Maddiegirl, AVC can favour some low GPA candidates. They only look at pre-req GPA, not overall, so if your pre-reqs are strong, it might help you. That said, AVC comes with a hefty price tag so it's something to be considered thoroughly. @that redhead has been pretty open about her low GPA but she got into AVC and she will be an amazing vet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Maddiegirl, like Coquette said I was accepted into AVC with stats similar to notjustdreaming's stats (you can see them in the "successful applications c/o 2015" thread). They only calculate a GPA from your pre-reqs which allowed me to use my As from classes like animal science and allowed me to substitute higher classes like orgo 2 (B) for orgo 1 (retook from a D-->B but still factored in at many US schools). Not only was I accepted to AVC, but I was accepted with an early offer for my "academic excellence" or something similar, heh.

It's definitely a hefty price tag (~53k/yr right now, although the exchange rate is good currently) and it's a bit of a culture shock to live on PEI (even the "regular" Canadians aren't always huge fans 😉) but in the end, with AVC being my only acceptance out of 11 applications, I decided to attend and have done well.

If you or anyone else has questions about AVC from an American and/or low stat perspective, feel free to PM me!
 
Yes, UF does offer file reviews. I received a very helpful one that pointed out the major flaws with my application the first time around. If you are rejected just give them a call and they will give you great feedback advice 🙂
 
I will be applying for the upcoming c/o 2020 cycle. I am a third year who will not be finished with prereqs by the time I apply (mainly physics and biochem), and I'll take the computer delivered GRE for the first time in April, so I will give you my projected stats upon application time in June:

4-year BS Biology

sGPA: ~3.5
cGPA: ~3.4
Last 45: ~3.8
GRE: TBA

Vet experience: 800 paid hours at a mixed small and large practice, kennel work, giving shots and surg prep
Animal experience: weekly cleaning at a no-kill rescue, working adoptions, serving on a trustee amd coordinator position within the rescue. Im in the process of figuring out what I've got for hours there.
Pet ownership of dogs, cats, fish and two birds (probably will leave off unless it really helps)
Student government
Other officer positions

Awards:
Honor roll one semester
Deans' list for the past three semesters (freshman year was a huge adjustment period where I didn't do so hot academically... I brought my cGPA from 2.9 to a 3.3 in 3 semesters, and am deadset on graduating with a 3.5)
3 academic scholarships
*plan on putting all of my might into getting the presidents list (4.0) this coming semester, and hopefully the ones to come

I am interested in LSU, TAMU (probably a stretch) and Miss St. Possibly Carribean, but finances. I am a Louisiana resident.


Not really for my app, but just some tidbits about me... Along with starting ug off quite immature, I have diagnosed OCD and anxiety. I really was home sick my first two semsters, and became depressed because I struggled to make friends in my new setting and didn't have much support. I handled the first semester okay, but spring is where I tanked and made 3 Cs, one in freshman bio. I didn't put effort into things, because I didn't have a direction at the time. After that I knew I had to kick my butt into gear. Second year was highly stressful for me. But now, I can say I am in a hugely better place. I have lower stress and I feel as though I have direction now! My previous semster went wonderfully, and I aced all of my science classes, including ochem I. I've always been very shy and awkward, but am coming out of my shell and making it all work. I feel like my track finally encouraged me to take charge and not worry about what my one else will think.


My biggest concern here, and the main reason I'm posting now, is not being finished with prerequisites , along with vet hours on the lower side. I really would like to take a gap year after graduation to work more and have all of my grades on my transcript (which would probably raise each projected gpa listed above by .1). Family keeps telling me to go for it, but I feel like that would not be a good idea and I should wait.

I know my projections are probably pretty silly since I can't count on these grades, but if all goes well, this is the result I expect based on my record thus far.
 
I will be applying for the upcoming c/o 2020 cycle. I am a third year who will not be finished with prereqs by the time I apply (mainly physics and biochem), and I'll take the computer delivered GRE for the first time in April, so I will give you my projected stats upon application time in June:

4-year BS Biology

sGPA: ~3.5
cGPA: ~3.4
Last 45: ~3.8
GRE: TBA

Vet experience: 800 paid hours at a mixed small and large practice, kennel work, giving shots and surg prep
Animal experience: weekly cleaning at a no-kill rescue, working adoptions, serving on a trustee amd coordinator position within the rescue. Im in the process of figuring out what I've got for hours there.
Pet ownership of dogs, cats, fish and two birds (probably will leave off unless it really helps)
Student government
Other officer positions

Awards:
Honor roll one semester
Deans' list for the past three semesters (freshman year was a huge adjustment period where I didn't do so hot academically... I brought my cGPA from 2.9 to a 3.3 in 3 semesters, and am deadset on graduating with a 3.5)
3 academic scholarships
*plan on putting all of my might into getting the presidents list (4.0) this coming semester, and hopefully the ones to come

I am interested in LSU, TAMU (probably a stretch) and Miss St. Possibly Carribean, but finances. I am a Louisiana resident.


Not really for my app, but just some tidbits about me... Along with starting ug off quite immature, I have diagnosed OCD and anxiety. I really was home sick my first two semsters, and became depressed because I struggled to make friends in my new setting and didn't have much support. I handled the first semester okay, but spring is where I tanked and made 3 Cs, one in freshman bio. I didn't put effort into things, because I didn't have a direction at the time. After that I knew I had to kick my butt into gear. Second year was highly stressful for me. But now, I can say I am in a hugely better place. I have lower stress and I feel as though I have direction now! My previous semster went wonderfully, and I aced all of my science classes, including ochem I. I've always been very shy and awkward, but am coming out of my shell and making it all work. I feel like my track finally encouraged me to take charge and not worry about what my one else will think.


My biggest concern here, and the main reason I'm posting now, is not being finished with prerequisites , along with vet hours on the lower side. I really would like to take a gap year after graduation to work more and have all of my grades on my transcript (which would probably raise each projected gpa listed above by .1). Family keeps telling me to go for it, but I feel like that would not be a good idea and I should wait.

I know my projections are probably pretty silly since I can't count on these grades, but if all goes well, this is the result I expect based on my record thus far.
Why not try to apply and then take a gap year if you don't get in?
 
Why not try to apply and then take a gap year if you don't get in?
One reason I can think of is expense, if you don't think you're likely to get in it may not be worth it to apply.

@rockatiel Most traditional applicants do apply during their senior year of undergrad and quite a few (myself included) don't have their prereqs done before applying, so that is not necessarily an issue. It really depends on the school. Some only allow a certain number of prereqs to be completed after application, so you would need to look into that. If you are depending on those classes to bring up your gpa then that is of course another consideration. The bigger concern, I think, would be experience, since you do need to have that in place before you apply. But you still have time to build that. 800 hours at a mixed practice is not bad, though you should probably look into getting some vet experience outside of private practice. You do have until September, which is a lot of time.

Ultimately whether you apply or take a gap year is up to you and should come down to what you are most comfortable with. Plenty of people take that year and are glad they did so.
 
Well the only reason I say to go for it is because I was nervous when applying that I hadn't had enough hours and now I'm really happy I went for it. I definitely see your point about cost though. If I was in OP's situation I would apply to my top 2 or 3 schools, but that's just me.
 
Well the only reason I say to go for it is because I was nervous when applying that I hadn't had enough hours and now I'm really happy I went for it. I definitely see your point about cost though. If I was in OP's situation I would apply to my top 2 or 3 schools, but that's just me.
I don't disagree. If it were me, I wouldn't be uncomfortable applying to at least my IS with those stats. Just saying it is a consideration, and that there is nothing wrong with taking a gap year. I wouldn't want to feel pressured into applying when I wasn't comfortable with it.
 
Let me know what you guys think of my stats. I'm a bit worried that my GPA is holding me back, and want to know how I can make up for it in other areas! My IS is Cornell, and I'm also looking at Tufts, Illinois, VMRCVM, and Michigan.

Cumulative GPA:
3.40
Science GPA: 3.22
Last 45: 3.51

GRE: V160 (84%), Q157 (69%), W5 (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
1000 hours as a veterinary assistant at a mixed practice clinic (majority small animal, but about 100 hours large animal)
40 hours working at an equine hospital
100 hours working with a veterinary oncologist
50 hours shadowing at a small animal clinic

Animal Experience:
~7000 working/riding at a horse barn (huge estimation, have been working here for 14 years)
40 hours interning at a zoo

Employment:
1 year as a biology lab intern (introduction to biology and animal structure classes)
1 year in retail
1 year as a receptionist at a college

Awards/Honors:
A bunch from high school but nothing special

Letters of Recommendation:
Owner/trainer at the barn I've been going to for the past 14 years
Veterinarian I currently work for
Biochemistry professor
I know Michigan the best out of your selected schools, so my response is geared towards that school.

You will definitely make the cut-off for interviews there (You have an SIS of 848, and 790 is the minimum for interviews). Your stats are somewhat similar to mine, and I am interviewing next week 🙂nailbiting🙂. Keep in mind that they no longer look at cumulative GPAs (last 45 and science only). Your GRE is what is really boosting you for your SIS, especially since your science GPA is on the low end (it is similar to mine). The selected class has an average SIS of about 900, for perspective. The Q portion of the GRE can be a lifesaver for those who have lower GPAs to overcome...keep that in mind as well!

I recommend you get some research experience under your belt (although this school really only considers you to have research experience if you are published). Also, you have SA and LA and a specialty for experience. I say keep adding to those categories, and really get TONS of hours. They like to see a lot of hours in more than one category. Good luck!
 
Hello! I'm updating my list. I'm going to go through a lot of shadowing to decide my path and hopefully be ready to go June 2015!

20, female, FL resident;
B.S Mathematics, Campbell University. (Projected conferment date is May '16)
GPA: 3.304 cumulative, 3.33 science. Last 45: 3.478. Last 60: 3.44.
GRE: (Practice score) 158 V/161 Q/No Writing

Pre-requisites:
Basic Bio: AP Credit
Gen Chem 1 and 2: AP Credit
US History 1 and 2: AP Credit (Will be taking a two course required History series, will replace Humanities slot)
English 1: C (Or B if they take British Literature instead)
English 2: C (Or an A if they'll take the honors course that satisfies an English requirement here)
Statistics: A
Calculus: B (or A, if they'll take Calc II and III over my Calc I score)
Orgo I: C
I have not taken; Orgo II, either Physics course, Micro, Genetics, Biochemistry, or an Animal Science class.
Up-coming: Organic II, Ornithology, Micro, and Genetics. (Super intense... But if I can pull good numbers, it'll make everything easier.)

Veterinary Experience: 0 hours currently, I'm looking for an opportunity.
Animal Experience: I have animal ownership, and I spent 8 hours with the small zoo I talked about in September- but I didn't feel comfortable with how they wanted volunteers to treat the animals. It very well could be my lack of exposure, but it didn't seem right.
EC's: Founding member of the school's NAQT team(first year we competed was last year, I've been on it for two though), research on the history of statistics that resulted in a presentation at my university's symposium on the subject and will be presenting twice this year. I've tutored for free for a low-income family and for other college students.
I have worked two part-time jobs; I was a math tutor for a private company for around 4 months (~150 hours) and I worked as a cake decorator for a month and a half at a grocery store (~50 hours). I'm getting a position as a Calculus III TA this semester.

Current List: UF (IS) is for certain; I've heard Mizzou would be more flexible with my stronger (albeit not writing-home worthy) recent trends. Anyone know of any schools that would be more accepting of higher test scores or better recent trends?
 
Hi @Conflagration!

Mississippi also no longer looks at cGPA, just last 45 and science

How many vet hours do you think you will have before VMCAS is due next September? 8 months is not a lot of time to get >500 (the lowest recommendation I've seen) hours in a variety of areas, especially since you will still be in school until May. Do you already have things lined up for this upcoming semester and the summer?


ETA: just out of curiosity, what was it specifically about the zoo that made you uncomfortable?
 
Hi @Conflagration!

Mississippi also no longer looks at cGPA, just last 45 and science

How many vet hours do you think you will have before VMCAS is due next September? 8 months is not a lot of time to get >500 (the lowest recommendation I've seen) hours in a variety of areas, especially since you will still be in school until May. Do you already have things lined up for this upcoming semester and the summer?


ETA: just out of curiosity, what was it specifically about the zoo that made you uncomfortable?

Well, I should have a lot, actually. There's a vet hospital with close proximity to my apartment; which I've been away from over break. I should be able to commit weekends and hours after classes. (The way we do science classes here, I'll only have like 3 hour obligations on some weekdays despite taking so many, so I'll be able to find the time.)

I'm looking to devote my spring break to hours as well.

Also, what made me uncomfortable is that the director wanted the volunteers (myself included, without training) to enter the cage, and spook the enclosed animals to the front so that they would be easier to see. I was grabbed and humped by a particularly frisky wallaby twice while in the enclosure, and it just didn't seem right to be scaring them with the intent of entertainment.
 
Hello! I'm updating my list. I'm going to go through a lot of shadowing to decide my path and hopefully be ready to go June 2015!

20, female, FL resident;
B.S Mathematics, Campbell University. (Projected conferment date is May '16)
GPA: 3.304 cumulative, 3.33 science. Last 45: 3.478. Last 60: 3.44.
GRE: (Practice score) 158 V/161 Q/No Writing

Pre-requisites:
Basic Bio: AP Credit
Gen Chem 1 and 2: AP Credit
US History 1 and 2: AP Credit (Will be taking a two course required History series, will replace Humanities slot)
English 1: C (Or B if they take British Literature instead)
English 2: C (Or an A if they'll take the honors course that satisfies an English requirement here)
Statistics: A
Calculus: B (or A, if they'll take Calc II and III over my Calc I score)
Orgo I: C
I have not taken; Orgo II, either Physics course, Micro, Genetics, Biochemistry, or an Animal Science class.
Up-coming: Organic II, Ornithology, Micro, and Genetics. (Super intense... But if I can pull good numbers, it'll make everything easier.)

Veterinary Experience: 0 hours currently, I'm looking for an opportunity.
Animal Experience: I have animal ownership, and I spent 8 hours with the small zoo I talked about in September- but I didn't feel comfortable with how they wanted volunteers to treat the animals. It very well could be my lack of exposure, but it didn't seem right.
EC's: Founding member of the school's NAQT team(first year we competed was last year, I've been on it for two though), research on the history of statistics that resulted in a presentation at my university's symposium on the subject and will be presenting twice this year. I've tutored for free for a low-income family and for other college students.
I have worked two part-time jobs; I was a math tutor for a private company for around 4 months (~150 hours) and I worked as a cake decorator for a month and a half at a grocery store (~50 hours). I'm getting a position as a Calculus III TA this semester.

Current List: UF (IS) is for certain; I've heard Mizzou would be more flexible with my stronger (albeit not writing-home worthy) recent trends. Anyone know of any schools that would be more accepting of higher test scores or better recent trends?

Get some experience. No more Cs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I'm applying next year for class of 2020, and I would like to know my chances with these stats specifically first, and then also as well as advice for improvements. 🙂

Academics:
cGPA: 2.9
sGPA: 3.0
last 45 GPA: 3.8
Verbal: 162 (89%)
Quant: 165 (90%)
Writing: 4.5 (80%)

Vet hours:
250 spayneuter clinic
250 wildlife medicine internship

Animal hours:
20 hrs animal shelter
300 hrs lab animal tech

Research:
750 hrs biophotonics (publication)
350 hrs bioengineering senior design project
400 hrs molecular bio lab

I've been retaking a couple prereqs so the sGPA may be a tiny bit higher for schools that do grade replacement (michigan and minnesota). Other than that, I'm basically looking at schools that don't look at cGPA (UC davis, louisiana, iowa, kansas) and a couple other ones.

I know my vet hours are weak and I'm trying my best to find another clinic to get experience in.

Thanks in advance guys! really appreciate the help this thread has provided me.
 
Hello! I'm applying next year for class of 2020, and I would like to know my chances with these stats specifically first, and then also as well as advice for improvements. 🙂

Academics:
cGPA: 2.9
sGPA: 3.0
last 45 GPA: 3.8
Verbal: 162 (89%)
Quant: 165 (90%)
Writing: 4.5 (80%)

Vet hours:
250 spayneuter clinic
250 wildlife medicine internship

Animal hours:
20 hrs animal shelter
300 hrs lab animal tech

Research:
750 hrs biophotonics (publication)
350 hrs bioengineering senior design project
400 hrs molecular bio lab

I've been retaking a couple prereqs so the sGPA may be a tiny bit higher for schools that do grade replacement (michigan and minnesota). Other than that, I'm basically looking at schools that don't look at cGPA (UC davis, louisiana, iowa, kansas) and a couple other ones.

I know my vet hours are weak and I'm trying my best to find another clinic to get experience in.

Thanks in advance guys! really appreciate the help this thread has provided me.

Oh sorry, and one more question, do you guys know which schools like research experience a lot? I am interested in a career with both research and clinical work. I know UPenn is known for having strong research. Any other schools? thanks again!
 
Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying for the 2020 cycle as well. Here are my stats, please let me know what you guys think! Thanks 🙂

Academics:
GPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.2
last 45 GPA: 3.73
Verbal: 160
Quant: 163
Writing: 4.5

Vet hours:
150 hours large animal (goats and cows)
200 hours equine
400 hours small animal vet clinic
20 hours exotic animals/reptiles

Animal hours:
350 hours animal shelter
200 hours stable hand
-countless of hours showing horses and dogs for 4-H (not sure how/if I should include this)

Research:
3,500 hours animal genetics research
-Two published papers (both second author)

The thing that concerns me most is my GPA, what do you guys think? Michigan is my instate school, so I'm really hoping to get into MSU. Other than that I'm planning on applying to Colorado, Washington, Illinois, Purdue, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa State.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 🙂
 

Attachments

  • upload_2015-1-3_12-31-45.png
    upload_2015-1-3_12-31-45.png
    95 bytes · Views: 174
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding my chances of getting accepted to a school by stating my main interest (at this time of course) as equine. I have a lot of "animal experience" with horses (at least 3000 hours and is continuously growing) but I have very limited experience with equine vets (because there are so few of them in my area). I would say that I have about 30 hours of equine vet experience at this time because of the vets that have come in (sometimes from hours away) to treat the horses at that barn where I lease my horse. On the flip side, I have quite a bit (~1200 hours) of small animal vet experience because I work at a clinic that is primarily SA. I won't be applying until the 2016/2017 cycle, and I will definitely be taking every opportunity to get equine and other large animal experience in the coming years.

So my question is, how important is it to have the majority of your experience coming from your main field of interest? I would love to get accepted to a school with an exceptional equine program but I'm not sure if my lack of actual equine vet experience will hold me back or make me seem less dedicated or under-informed about the field. Additionally, I am wondering if stating equine as my main interest (and subsequently not having a large amount of experience) would hurt my chances of getting accepted to any school? I am just wondering about your thoughts on the matter, and if any of you have had any experience with this problem!

Thank you so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.