This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! This is a repost, but I updated my stats and am looking for some feedback! I'm an Animal and Veterinary Science major and Wildlife Biology minor going into my junior year at Clemson. I'll be applying this coming cycle, and while i'm not expecting to get in early, I'd really love to.

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.4

I've only taken a practice GRE but i got a 151 for math and a 158 for verbal, not great but will be taking again once or twice before applying.
I have about 400 hours with two different small animal vets combined and will have probably about 300-400 more throughout the summer. Both small animal vets have really great recommendation letters for me.
I also have about 50 hours of large animal and 50 of zoo vet experience, and an additional ~200 hours from my classes at Clemson alone (an estimate one of my professors made)
In addition, I have about 2,000 hours worth of large animal experience (not exaggerating) through my time with my schools dairy science club/show team and being a TA for a livestock showmanship class, and another 400 hours of exotic animal experience doing an internship at Riverbanks Zoo (worked with elephants, giraffe, zebra, tapir, etc.). I am doing research with a PhD student studying golden lion tamarin behavior as well. I doubt this counts but I also have a lot of experience training dogs, I've taken several obedience classes with my border collie.

I'm involved in a lot of clubs. I am active on the Dairy Show Team and the Dairy Science Club, Chi Omega sorority and the Pre-vet club. I also tutored for my schools academic success program for biology and chemistry.

I will be applying to UGA, Mississippi State, and Tuskegee. I go to Clemson right now so I am not technically in-state, but all three of these schools have seats for a certain number of south carolina students to have instate tuition.

I think that covers everything about me! Thanks for your feedback!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-6_19-43-49.png
    upload_2015-5-6_19-43-49.png
    95 bytes · Views: 38
Okay, here we go again. Thanks guys.

First time applicant, 21 year old female, c/o 2020 cycle.
Applying to: Tufts, UPenn (instate), Cornell (maybe), CSU, Washington State, PEI

Academics:
cGPA: 3.65
pre-req GPA: 3.51 - this is just my pre-reqs. I've taken many other science classes such as Marine Mammal Biology, Environmental Physiology, Winter Ecology, etc. Should I include those?
last 45 GPA: 3.66
I haven't taken the GRE yet

Veterinary experience:
1,000 hours SA
60 hours shadowing dairy cow vet in Italy
Will be working with Shire Draft horses this summer

Animal Experience:
Dog walking ~20 hours
Pet sitting (don't know how many hours... 3 different experiences, one including watching my friend's rabbit for 6 months)
Anole research project for my Environmental Physiology class ~60 hours
Shire draft horse project for my Animal Behavior class ~20 hours
Pet ownership
Numerous marine mammal necropsies
Marine mammal stranding response

Research Experience:
-I presented a poster of my work at a seal ecosystem and health conference that was sponsored by Wood's Hole. My project focused on categorizing and comparing the types of lesions seen in both harbor and grey seals at an off-shore island my school owns.
-Humpback Whale photo ID as part of the North Atlantic Humpback Whale Catalogue

Other work/Extracurriculars
Honors/Awards: Dean's award, grant for my study abroad in Italy
Extracurriculars: ~5 plays
eLOR writers: Advisor, Science professor, and SA vet
Other info: my school doesn't have dean's list etc but if it did I would have been on it

Last edited:
Okay, here we go again. Thanks guys.

First time applicant, 21 year old female, c/o 2020 cycle.
Applying to: Tufts, UPenn (instate), Cornell (maybe), CSU, Washington State, PEI

Academics:
cGPA: 3.65
pre-req GPA: 3.51 - this is just my pre-reqs. I've taken many other science classes such as Marine Mammal Biology, Environmental Physiology, Winter Ecology, etc. Should I include those?
last 45 GPA: 3.66
I haven't taken the GRE yet

Veterinary experience:
1,000 hours SA
60 hours shadowing dairy cow vet in Italy
Will be working with Shire Draft horses this summer

Animal Experience:
Dog walking ~20 hours
Pet sitting (don't know how many hours... 3 different experiences, one including watching my friend's rabbit for 6 months)
Anole research project for my Environmental Physiology class ~60 hours
Shire draft horse project for my Animal Behavior class ~20 hours
Pet ownership
Numerous marine mammal necropsies
Marine mammal stranding response

Research Experience:
-I presented a poster of my work at a seal ecosystem and health conference that was sponsored by Wood's Hole. My project focused on categorizing and comparing the types of lesions seen in both harbor and grey seals at an off-shore island my school owns.
-Humpback Whale photo ID as part of the North Atlantic Humpback Whale Catalogue

Other work/Extracurriculars
Honors/Awards: Dean's award, grant for my study abroad in Italy
Extracurriculars: ~5 plays
eLOR writers: Advisor, Science professor, and SA vet
Other info: my school doesn't have dean's list etc but if it did I would have been on it

As far as grades go, I think you look ok. You are kind of middle of the pack, especially for the more competitive schools. A really good GRE score will help you out in that area. Also having something really stand-out experience wise. You have a good variety of experiences.

Regarding your research - were they both supervised by a PhD? What were your roles in that work?

A couple of notes: You listed marine mammal necropsies - who supervised those? A researcher, veterinarian? Those might go under veterinary or research experience. The Anole research and draft horse project probably belong under classroom experience, versus animal experience.

On the eLOR's - Tufts requires two recommendations from professors who taught one of your classes, so have a second one in mind. I also don't think an advisor is the best recommendation. They tend to write letters for everyone, so it doesn't do anything to make you stand out. A letter from one of the researchers you worked under would be a better choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! This is a repost, but I updated my stats and am looking for some feedback! I'm an Animal and Veterinary Science major and Wildlife Biology minor going into my junior year at Clemson. I'll be applying this coming cycle, and while i'm not expecting to get in early, I'd really love to.

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.4

I've only taken a practice GRE but i got a 151 for math and a 158 for verbal, not great but will be taking again once or twice before applying.
I have about 400 hours with two different small animal vets combined and will have probably about 300-400 more throughout the summer. Both small animal vets have really great recommendation letters for me.
I also have about 50 hours of large animal and 50 of zoo vet experience, and an additional ~200 hours from my classes at Clemson alone (an estimate one of my professors made)
In addition, I have about 2,000 hours worth of large animal experience (not exaggerating) through my time with my schools dairy science club/show team and being a TA for a livestock showmanship class, and another 400 hours of exotic animal experience doing an internship at Riverbanks Zoo (worked with elephants, giraffe, zebra, tapir, etc.). I am doing research with a PhD student studying golden lion tamarin behavior as well. I doubt this counts but I also have a lot of experience training dogs, I've taken several obedience classes with my border collie.

I'm involved in a lot of clubs. I am active on the Dairy Show Team and the Dairy Science Club, Chi Omega sorority and the Pre-vet club. I also tutored for my schools academic success program for biology and chemistry.

I will be applying to UGA, Mississippi State, and Tuskegee. I go to Clemson right now so I am not technically in-state, but all three of these schools have seats for a certain number of south carolina students to have instate tuition.

I think that covers everything about me! Thanks for your feedback!!

I don't know much about the schools you're applying to - so I'll leave those specifics to people who do.

I will say that your grades and GRE scores are middle of the pack, so you want something that is really going to make you stand out. The research won't count unless it's supervised by a PhD. It sounds cool though! Do you have interaction with the PI? Is that a relationship you could develop to get credit for the research, and possibly a really nice eLOR?

As far as GRE scores, I don't know many people that were able to increase their scores more than a point or two on the retakes. I also think that some schools will only consider your last two, or something like that. You should check with your intended schools and see what they say about that. It might be more benefit to spend the money on a good study course before you take it a second time, rather than taking it a third time.

I will be applying fall 2016. I have yet to take the GRE but I am planning on taking it sometime over the summer. I have job shadowed five separate veterinarians and documented what surgery I witnessed and when.

My hours are:
volunteer at animal shelter: 70
volunteer at equine center: 65
sheep experience: 60
working at a vet clinic in a kennel: 650
employment in an animal science laboratory: 94.5
I'm not sure on the exact hours of veterinary experience. A lot of them will come from my current job.

I am currently employed as a veterinary assistant. My research project should begin this summer (which will give me research experience and more hours in the animal science lab). I want to get my volunteer hours up. I'd also like to job shadow a corporate vet and a shelter medicine vet. I have experience with research vets and private practice vets. I'm hoping to get an internship next summer with a zoo.I am also secretary of the pre-vet club for the year coming up. My cumulative GPA is a 3.0 but I hope to get that up to a 3.5 when I go into the fall 2015 semester (I'm taking a couple summer classes). I will graduate in spring 2016.

My concerns are that It's taken me 6 years to get my bachelors. I attended a community college for three years and received an associate of arts and an associate of science. I have been at the university ever since. I didn't 100% know that I wanted to pursue a DVM degree until this year.

There is not a vet school in my home state, I will be applying to:
Wisconsin, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tufts, Colorado, Oregon, Michigan, Kansas

My questions are:
How do you think I could improve my chances over the next year?
Will I be penalized for taking 6 years to get a bachelors?

Any advice is welcome :)

I am currently employed as a veterinary assistant. My research project should begin this summer (which will give me research experience and more hours in the animal science lab). I want to get my volunteer hours up. I'd also like to job shadow a corporate vet and a shelter medicine vet. I have experience with research vets and private practice vets. I'm hoping to get an internship next summer with a zoo.I am also secretary of the pre-vet club for the year coming up. My cumulative GPA is a 3.0 but I hope to get that up to a 3.5 when I go into the fall 2015 semester (I'm taking a couple summer classes). I will graduate in spring 2016.

My concerns are that It's taken me 6 years to get my bachelors. I attended a community college for three years and received an associate of arts and an associate of science. I have been at the university ever since. I didn't 100% know that I wanted to pursue a DVM degree until this year.

There is not a vet school in my home state, I will be applying to:
Wisconsin, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tufts, Colorado, Oregon, Michigan, Kansas

My questions are:
How do you think I could improve my chances over the next year?
Will I be penalized for taking 6 years to get a bachelors?

Any advice is welcome

The best way to improve your chances is getting the best grades possible. Having more volunteer hours won't matter if your GPA isn't high enough, and it will take your focus away from academics. If you're 3/4 of the way through your bachelors and have a 3.0, there's no way you'll get to a 3.5 before you graduate. Not trying to be harsh, just honest. Use a target GPA calculator to see where you can reasonably expect to be.

Based on that, you want to rethink where you're going to apply. I don't know what your IS is, but you won't meet the OOS minimums for some of the schools you're planning on applying to. NCSU, for example, has a 3.4 minimum for OOS. There's no point in wasting money applying to schools that are going to reject you for grades without even looking at the rest of your application.

Whether or not taking 6 years to finish your bachelors affects you depends on the reason why. If you went part-time, the concern is that you wouldn't be able to hack the intensity of vet school. But if you're working full time to support yourself at the same time as being school, then it might not be as much of an issue.

Hey guys! I am wondering what my chances of getting accepted are. My GPA is low for applying to vet schools, but I am hoping it is made up by having a large variety of experience with different species, and large amounts of research experience.

21 year old male graduating spring 2016 with BS in Animal Science, first time applying
Applying to: Virginia-Maryland (in-state), Washington State, Wisconsin, Colorado, PEI, Glasgow

Academics:
Cumulative GPA: 3.342
Science GPA: 3.31
AP Credits (score): Biology (4), English Lit (3), Statistics (4), US History (3)
Courses being taken this next academic year: Animal Nutrition, Genetics, Animal Feeds, and Biochemistry

GRE Scores:
157 Vocal, 159 Quantitative, 4 Writing

Veterinary Experience:

Small Animal: ~200 hrs
Shelter Vet (Small Animal): ~60 hrs
Food Animal: ~130 hrs
Equine Specific: ~300 hrs

General Animal Experience:

Small Animal: Very little, family pets
Large Animal: ~1500 hours, including general care and management of horses, dairy herds, and sheep (including lambing).

Research Experience:
-About 200 hrs under the supervision of a DVM, mostly equine related
-Animal handling: Blood draws, administering antibiotics, minor surgical procedures, mare heat detection/pregnancy checks, physical exams
-In-Lab: Culture plating, ELISA testing, general lab work pertaining to research projects
-I personally have written several grant proposals and have received funding to perform research under the same DVM.
-Co-author for several papers being submitted for peer-reviewed journals

Other Work/Extra-Currcular:

Honors/Awards: Dean’s List for about 3 of the 6 semesters, awarded undergraduate research grants
Active in 3 clubs (all animal related), holding officer positions in two

Letters of Recommendation:
University Professor and Equine-focused DVM
University Professor and On-Site DVM for school
Small Animal Veterinarian

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

This is my first cycle applying. I did have one bad semester in my last 45 (of course) but have decided to apply anyway and see what happens. I am an older (33 yr old) non traditional. I am deciding between being a swine or equine vet. Ok, here we go....

Academics
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.34
last 45: 3.5

GRE: Take next month

Vet Experience:
3000 hrs overnight RVT at emergency clinic
800 hrs large animal veterinary practice

Animal Experience
6000 hrs- I am also a farrier. Best guess for how many hours I have worked.
11,000 hrs- riding and showing horses (since I was 8 yrs old). Probably more, but not sure how to quantify that long.
500 hrs- raising and showing Chianina beef heifer
500 hrs-raising and showing Hampshire pigs
300 hrs- working at dairy farm

Volunteer Hours
600 hrs- providing free farrier service for economically challenged horse owners

Awards
Presidents/Deans List
Academic Acheivement Award
Scholarships
Member of Honors Society

Extracurriculars
Member college riding team
Lettered in Sandhurst (military decathalon, I guess thats the easiest way to describe it) while at West Point- I am a military veteran and then was Cadet at West Point.

Letters of Recommendation
Large Animal Veterinarian
Veterinarian at Emergency Clinic
Professor
Veterinarian Instructor in tech school

Plan on Applying: NC State (IS), K State, Mich State, Colorado, Tuskegee.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
110,000 hrs- riding and showing horses (since I was 8 yrs old). Probably more, but not sure how to quantify that long.

110,000 hrs riding and showing horses? Daaaaang! That's like 12.5 years of non-stop 24/7 horse riding.

Hi guys... I posted these stats awhile back, without my GRE scores. I just took it this morning and I was hoping for some thoughts on whether or not I needed to retake it. Thanks for your input!

Top choices: Tufts, Penn, Cornell
Contract School: Iowa
Also applying: Kansas, Lincoln Memorial, Midwestern, Minnesota, Western, Virginia-Maryland, Ohio

GPA: 3.749 (Science: 3.699 & Last 45: 3.788)
GRE: 159 Quantitive / 157 Verbal

Experience :
300 hours kennel attendant at a vet hospital
900 hours surgical veterinary assistant at a 24hr hospital - Potential LOR-manager, LVT
40 hours VIDA 10-day volunteer trip to Guatemala
120 hours veterinary technician at a wellness canine only clinic - Potential LOR -Veterinarian
250 hours doggie daycare handler
600 hours veterinary technician multi-doctor small animal practice - Potential LOR - Veterinarian
450 hours internship in aquarium medical center - Potential LOR - Veterinarian
300 hours avian research lab -Potential LOR - Lab Manager

Upcoming:
Attempting to volunteer 3hours/week at a therapeutic equine center
Shadowing ~20hrs with a mixed practice veterinarian, including large animal

Extras: Pre-Vet Club President, chorus soloist with music scholarship awards

Should I be kissing my top 3 goodbye without a higher GRE score? What do you guys think?

110,000 hrs riding and showing horses? Daaaaang! That's like 12.5 years of non-stop 24/7 horse riding.
LOL! I'm 33 and have been riding and showing since I was eight, so 25 years or so.

LOL! I'm 33 and have been riding and showing since I was eight, so 25 years or so.

I think you should adjust that number... You would have had to be riding and showing 12 hours a day, every single day, for the past 25 years to have 110,000 hours.

I think you should adjust that number... You would have had to be riding and showing 12 hours a day, every single day, for the past 25 years to have 110,000 hours.
Whoopsy, you are right. I added an extra 0. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Returning applicant, 28, F, Ohio resident

BS Agriculture (2010), Master of Public Health (2015)

cGPA: 3.41 to 3.51*
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 to 3.4*
Graduate GPA: 3.6
sciGPA: 3.35 to 3.5*
(*depending on how repeated courses are treated)

Last 45: 3.9

GRE: Q 155 (60%), V 160 (84%), A 4.5

Vet Experience:
900 hrs
- mostly government/regulatory (includes some large animal)
- some wildlife
- some small animal clinical
- some equine

(experience and diversity hasn't been an issue in file reviews)

Research:
500 Swine Nutrition
100 Wildlife-Livestock-Human Interface in Kenya (topic of my culminating project for MPH)

(Both research projects/positions resulted in multiple professional poster presentations and the latter may result in a combined published paper or two)

Animal Experience:
6,200 hrs
-4-H animal projects (mostly breeding rabbits)
- obedience training with dogs
- zoo internship
- equestrian camp volunteer
- shelter volunteering (multiple species-specific rescues: horses, dogs/cats, and rabbits)
- some course labs/projects with animals (horses, poultry, gray short-tailed opossums, insects, etc.)

Other Work:
1,200 state public health department
500 detergent bottling factory

My in-state is OSU, so that will remain my top choice. They're revamping their admissions this year and I'm really hoping that their move away from the pre-req science GPA (which for me has varied from 2.9 to a 2.7 in different cycles due to crappy chemistry grades) and focus on the cumulative science will be very helpful for my situation. This past cycle I interviewed and according to a faculty member who works within admissions, I will be guaranteed an interview this year since I'll be applying with a Master's degree. I also heard from another admissions person that the school was debating whether or not upper level science/graduate level science courses should carry extra weight (my graduate credits are a good 90% upper level science).

Right now I'm looking at applying to OSU, Mizzou, and CSU. I also have an interest in veterinary entomology and I will probably get a MS degree sometime in the future so I'm starting to look at schools that have the faculty and departments that can potentially support that interest through vet school.

Hey guys! I am wondering what my chances of getting accepted are. My GPA is low for applying to vet schools, but I am hoping it is made up by having a large variety of experience with different species, and large amounts of research experience.

21 year old male graduating spring 2016 with BS in Animal Science, first time applying
Applying to: Virginia-Maryland (in-state), Washington State, Wisconsin, Colorado, PEI, Glasgow

Academics:
Cumulative GPA: 3.342
Science GPA: 3.31
AP Credits (score): Biology (4), English Lit (3), Statistics (4), US History (3)
Courses being taken this next academic year: Animal Nutrition, Genetics, Animal Feeds, and Biochemistry

GRE Scores:
157 Vocal, 159 Quantitative, 4 Writing

Veterinary Experience:

Small Animal: ~200 hrs
Shelter Vet (Small Animal): ~60 hrs
Food Animal: ~130 hrs
Equine Specific: ~300 hrs

General Animal Experience:

Small Animal: Very little, family pets
Large Animal: ~1500 hours, including general care and management of horses, dairy herds, and sheep (including lambing).

Research Experience:
-About 200 hrs under the supervision of a DVM, mostly equine related
-Animal handling: Blood draws, administering antibiotics, minor surgical procedures, mare heat detection/pregnancy checks, physical exams
-In-Lab: Culture plating, ELISA testing, general lab work pertaining to research projects
-I personally have written several grant proposals and have received funding to perform research under the same DVM.
-Co-author for several papers being submitted for peer-reviewed journals

Other Work/Extra-Currcular:

Honors/Awards: Dean’s List for about 3 of the 6 semesters, awarded undergraduate research grants
Active in 3 clubs (all animal related), holding officer positions in two

Letters of Recommendation:
University Professor and Equine-focused DVM
University Professor and On-Site DVM for school
Small Animal Veterinarian

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!
Not intimately familiar with what VMRCVM likes, but as long as your "story" makes sense, I think you have a real, if slim, shot. Your numbers overall are on the lower end of average, and while I have seen people on SDN get in with worse GPAs, they tend to make up for it with higher GRE's and thousands of hours of veterinary experience (or vice versa). Realistically in your shoes, I would apply this cycle with as solid a story possible (e.g. your experiences and PS emphasize your interest in equine veterinary research, or whatever you want to do), while focusing on getting veterinary/research experiences lined up in case you need to apply again. This is coming from someone who took a gap year because she was too chicken to apply senior year with her own mediocre numbers. ;)

Several possible publications with only 200 hrs of research? Daaang, that's awesome!! Going on 4000 hrs right now with no pubs yet, only soul-sucking despair. :(

Hi guys... I posted these stats awhile back, without my GRE scores. I just took it this morning and I was hoping for some thoughts on whether or not I needed to retake it. Thanks for your input!

Top choices: Tufts, Penn, Cornell
Contract School: Iowa
Also applying: Kansas, Lincoln Memorial, Midwestern, Minnesota, Western, Virginia-Maryland, Ohio

GPA: 3.749 (Science: 3.699 & Last 45: 3.788)
GRE: 159 Quantitive / 157 Verbal

Experience :
300 hours kennel attendant at a vet hospital
900 hours surgical veterinary assistant at a 24hr hospital - Potential LOR-manager, LVT
40 hours VIDA 10-day volunteer trip to Guatemala
120 hours veterinary technician at a wellness canine only clinic - Potential LOR -Veterinarian
250 hours doggie daycare handler
600 hours veterinary technician multi-doctor small animal practice - Potential LOR - Veterinarian
450 hours internship in aquarium medical center - Potential LOR - Veterinarian
300 hours avian research lab -Potential LOR - Lab Manager

Upcoming:
Attempting to volunteer 3hours/week at a therapeutic equine center
Shadowing ~20hrs with a mixed practice veterinarian, including large animal

Extras: Pre-Vet Club President, chorus soloist with music scholarship awards

Should I be kissing my top 3 goodbye without a higher GRE score? What do you guys think?.

Nope! Your GRE isn't that bad and your GPAs are solid. I imagine you're comfortably within the average range of accepted applicant stats for most of the schools you're applying to. I've heard Cornell is pretty numbers-based, but most other schools (including Penn) will look at the whole picture and appreciate your diverse experiences.

Also, that is quite the list of schools! Definitely don't envy you this fall. I'd be careful though -- if you only got into, say, Western, would you go? I applied to too many safety schools as well and found myself regretting the cost and time-sink when I realized I would rather reapply next cycle and aim for my dream schools than go to some of them.

Nope! Your GRE isn't that bad and your GPAs are solid. I imagine you're comfortably within the average range of accepted applicant stats for most of the schools you're applying to. I've heard Cornell is pretty numbers-based, but most other schools (including Penn) will look at the whole picture and appreciate your diverse experiences.

Also, that is quite the list of schools! Definitely don't envy you this fall. I'd be careful though -- if you only got into, say, Western, would you go? I applied to too many safety schools as well and found myself regretting the cost and time-sink when I realized I would rather reapply next cycle and aim for my dream schools than go to some of them.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I was average for everywhere on my list except those top 3. Tufts has on the website 162V/159Q... Penn says "mid-high 70%" ( I dont have my percentile yet, but by the chart I'm around 74%.) And of course Cornell doesn't publish the numbers, but I'm gonna guess it's higher than what I have.

I do agree with you about my list... but truthfully, out of all of those schools, if only one accepted me, I'll go. That's why I have so many! I'm thinking about maybe only keeping one of the newer schools, but then I worry that may not be enough of a "safety" buffer. I may end up taking a few off if they have a bitch of a supplement, and aren't somewhere I'm super thrilled about. I don't wanna spread myself too thin, and not put in the effort I need to for the schools I care about the most.

And my dream is to have one my tops accept me early on... and then I'll decline every other interview. I know that's just wishful thinking though. :)

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I was average for everywhere on my list except those top 3. Tufts has on the website 162V/159Q... Penn says "mid-high 70%" ( I dont have my percentile yet, but by the chart I'm around 74%.) And of course Cornell doesn't publish the numbers, but I'm gonna guess it's higher than what I have.

I do agree with you about my list... but truthfully, out of all of those schools, if only one accepted me, I'll go. That's why I have so many! I'm thinking about maybe only keeping one of the newer schools, but then I worry that may not be enough of a "safety" buffer. I may end up taking a few off if they have a bitch of a supplement, and aren't somewhere I'm super thrilled about. I don't wanna spread myself too thin, and not put in the effort I need to for the schools I care about the most.

And my dream is to have one my tops accept me early on... and then I'll decline every other interview. I know that's just wishful thinking though. :)

there are no safety schools in veterinary medicine. So I wouldn't think of them like that. The thing I notice most about your list is that almost all of them have hefty price tags - IS or OOS. You may want to consider that.

Not intimately familiar with what VMRCVM likes, but as long as your "story" makes sense, I think you have a real, if slim, shot. Your numbers overall are on the lower end of average, and while I have seen people on SDN get in with worse GPAs, they tend to make up for it with higher GRE's and thousands of hours of veterinary experience (or vice versa). Realistically in your shoes, I would apply this cycle with as solid a story possible (e.g. your experiences and PS emphasize your interest in equine veterinary research, or whatever you want to do), while focusing on getting veterinary/research experiences lined up in case you need to apply again. This is coming from someone who took a gap year because she was too chicken to apply senior year with her own mediocre numbers. ;)

Several possible publications with only 200 hrs of research? Daaang, that's awesome!! Going on 4000 hrs right now with no pubs yet, only soul-sucking despair. :(

Thanks for the response. Those experience numbers are about to double or triple in the next few months too as I spend every waking second either working with dairy cattle, horses, sheep, or at a small animal clinic. It is difficult to get into the thousands of hours of veterinary experience having only decided to pursue vet school about 2 years ago and having absolutely no experience prior to entering college.

Returning applicant, 28, F, Ohio resident

BS Agriculture (2010), Master of Public Health (2015)

cGPA: 3.41 to 3.51*
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 to 3.4*
Graduate GPA: 3.6
sciGPA: 3.35 to 3.5*
(*depending on how repeated courses are treated)

Last 45: 3.9

GRE: Q 155 (60%), V 160 (84%), A 4.5

Vet Experience:
900 hrs
- mostly government/regulatory (includes some large animal)
- some wildlife
- some small animal clinical
- some equine

(experience and diversity hasn't been an issue in file reviews)

Research:
500 Swine Nutrition
100 Wildlife-Livestock-Human Interface in Kenya (topic of my culminating project for MPH)

(Both research projects/positions resulted in multiple professional poster presentations and the latter may result in a combined published paper or two)

Animal Experience:
6,200 hrs
-4-H animal projects (mostly breeding rabbits)
- obedience training with dogs
- zoo internship
- equestrian camp volunteer
- shelter volunteering (multiple species-specific rescues: horses, dogs/cats, and rabbits)
- some course labs/projects with animals (horses, poultry, gray short-tailed opossums, insects, etc.)

Other Work:
1,200 state public health department
500 detergent bottling factory

My in-state is OSU, so that will remain my top choice. They're revamping their admissions this year and I'm really hoping that their move away from the pre-req science GPA (which for me has varied from 2.9 to a 2.7 in different cycles due to crappy chemistry grades) and focus on the cumulative science will be very helpful for my situation. This past cycle I interviewed and according to a faculty member who works within admissions, I will be guaranteed an interview this year since I'll be applying with a Master's degree. I also heard from another admissions person that the school was debating whether or not upper level science/graduate level science courses should carry extra weight (my graduate credits are a good 90% upper level science).

Right now I'm looking at applying to OSU, Mizzou, and CSU. I also have an interest in veterinary entomology and I will probably get a MS degree sometime in the future so I'm starting to look at schools that have the faculty and departments that can potentially support that interest through vet school.

Hmph. I feel like with those stats you should have gotten in last go-around, but maybe the gpa thing was too big of a hurdle then. Sure looks good this time, assuming well-matched schools. Keep on keepin on - you'll get there and you'll do well.

Hi everyone!
I am a freshman applying to a couple of vet schools next year in the hopes of being accepted early. I know there is still a lot of work ahead and am open to any and all advice. Furthermore, would you recommend taking the GRE or MCAT if the schools you were applying to accept both scores? Thank you for your time and help!

19 years of age, Female, Biology of Animals
GPA: 4.0
Req. GPA: 4.0
Typical course load
Veterinary experience: 500 hours
Animal experience: 750 hours
-This includes work at 4 veterinary clinics, farm work, volunteering with the humane society, and dog sitting hours
-Acitivies include: Pre-Vet Society, freshman biology learning assistant, Swim Club, Intramural Volleyball, Cupcakes for the Cure, and Church group

I know I need to get more hours and am trying to work with an aquarium at the moment. Could someone offer me advice as to how many more hours I need and where I should get them?
Thanks everyone!!

Junior graduating in May 2016 still deciding what schools to apply to. My IS is Illinois so I'm definitely applying there. I finished all of my pre-reqs this semester so my GPA will only go up from here too, anticipating 4.0s both fall and spring semesters next year.

Major: Animal Sciences
Minors: Chemistry, Leadership Studies
Certificates: Health Professions, Leadership

~hopes of pursuing a career in aquatic animal medicine~

Academics (My numbers are low but take into account that I've taken 20+ credit hours at my University every semester AND I've maintained a 10 hour/week internship in the past few semesters that is noted for credit on my transcript)
Credit Hours at this point (w/2 semesters left): ~150
Cumulative GPA: ~3.50
Science GPA: ~3.0
GRE:
Try 1: V: 155 (67th percentile), Q: 151 (44th percentile), A: 5 (93rd percentile)
Try 2: V: 153 (59th percentile), Q: 152 (48th percentile), A: 5 (93rd percentile)

Research Experience
-100 hours laboratory experience in a small animal nutrition lab under direct supervision of a Ph.D/vet school professor
-100 hours marine biology field research experience (no Ph.D present)

Employment (~1000 hours)
-worked for 3 different non-profits (1 aquarium, 1 leadership center, 1 University academic programs) with positional leadership progression in all of them

Animal Experience (524 hours total) - will increase to over 600 by the time I apply

-200 hours small animal (will increase due to my internship this summer)
-74 hours large animal/equine
-250 hours zoo/exotic/wildlife

Veterinary Experience (935 hours total) - will increase to over 1000 by the time I apply

-375 hours small animal (will increase due to my internship this summer)
-158 hours large animal/equine
-402 hours zoo/exotic/widlife

Extra-curricular
-4 leadership positions
-involved in 11 different organizations, comprised of leadership orgs, honor frats, sorority, panhellenic council, pre-vet club

Volunteer (~100 hours total)
-
7 different volunteer events, one long-term/continuous

Achievements

-3 national scholarships
-1 state award
-1 University-wide award
-6 college specific scholarships/awards
-6 scholarships/awards from various organizations on campus
-1 school district award
-2 awards from high school

eLORS
-1 phD/advisor/nutrition professor at Illinois
-1 pre-health professions advisor/leadership coach
-1 DVM/shelter medicine professor at Illinois
-1 DVM/shelter medicine intern at Illinois
-1 dean of academic programs for my college

Let me know what you think! All feedback/advice is welcome :)

Hi everyone!
I am a freshman applying to a couple of vet schools next year in the hopes of being accepted early. I know there is still a lot of work ahead and am open to any and all advice. Furthermore, would you recommend taking the GRE or MCAT if the schools you were applying to accept both scores? Thank you for your time and help!

Typical course load
-This includes work at 4 veterinary clinics, farm work, volunteering with the humane society, and dog sitting hours
-Acitivies include: Pre-Vet Society, freshman biology learning assistant, Swim Club, Intramural Volleyball, Cupcakes for the Cure, and Church group

I know I need to get more hours and am trying to work with an aquarium at the moment. Could someone offer me advice as to how many more hours I need and where I should get them?
Thanks everyone!!

You'll be done with physics, organic chem, and biochemistry by spring of next year? Color me impressed

To add, @vetspet, I feel as though your stats are solid. Definitely try to diversify experince a bit--exotics hours, equine hours, emergency hours, etc. I'm assuming your prospect schools are Canadian/International if they require the MCAT. If you have a choice, go with the GRE. Also, pick up some more activities you enjoy. Adcoms like to see that you will enjoy other things besides vetmed and will have outlets to the hectic life that vet school may be, especially since you are so young!

Alright, you can tell me my GPA's suck but I already know so that's not entirely helpful

science GPA: ~3.0 (curse chemistry--it dragged me down. I would retake but I'm not sure it would help and don't want to risk getting lower grades)
last 3 GPA: ~3.3 (pending summer semester--will probably end up closer to 3.5)

GRE is not taken yet but my scores will be, at a minimum, roughly 155 (in order to meet the the SIS for Michigan which is the only school I'm sure I'm applying to). I feel confident I can make those scores at a minimum... but if not this is all a moot point anyways. Scheduled to take in June.

21 years old. Female. Graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology Fall 2015. (Minor in Chemistry)

Experience is most completely, somewhat estimated for time of submitting application...

Veterinary Experience
~ 150 hours shadowing small animal vet

Animal Experience
~ 8000 hours as a dog breeder
~ 2000 hours showing dogs (this one and the above are estimates... probably underestimates but I didn't want to estimate ridiculously high numbers)
~ 100 hours dog training (obedience + rally type stuff)
~ 50 hours volunteer at wildlife bird rehab center
~ 50 hours pet sitting (dogs + some exotics)
~ 20 hours of sheep herding training
~ 20 hours horseback riding lessons
~ 10 hours volunteering at dog rescue

Other
- Semi Active Member of Pre-Vet Club

Alright, hit me--but not too hard.
I know things could look better and if I can't make it in this time around I'll just have to come back stronger. But as it is right now, how bad does it look?

Last edited:
Alright, you can tell me my GPA's suck but I already know so that's not entirely helpful

science GPA: 3.05 (curse chemistry--it dragged me down. I would retake but I'm not sure it would help and don't want to risk getting lower grades)

GRE is not taken yet but my scores will be, at a minimum, roughly 155 (in order to meet the the SIS for Michigan which is the only school I'm sure I'm applying to). I feel confident I can make those scores at a minimum... but if not this is all a moot point anyways. Scheduled to take in June.

21 years old. Female. Graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology Winter 2015. (Minor in Chemistry)

Experience is most completely, somewhat estimated for time of submitting application...

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience
~ 2000 hours showing dogs (this one and the above are estimates... probably underestimates but I didn't want to estimate ridiculously high numbers)

Other

I know things could look better and if I can't make it in this time around I'll just have to come back stronger. But as it is right now, how bad does it look?

As someone who has applied in the past with a GPA only slightly higher than yours (the first time I applied, mine was a 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 or so sGPA), Ross was the only school I could get an interview at. This time I got several interviews, having raised both. Now, I'm not saying you won't get looked at, but you can't hurt yourself by doing better GPA wise. You're at what most schools consider the minimum for admission and as someone who's been there, minimum is often not enough. I had to do a lot more to get looked at, including retaking classes and getting As to replace those Cs. Retaking courses also shows perseverance and dedication, and some schools DO replace old grades with new ones. Look for schools that do this, it can only help. Island schools may be a good option, if you don't mind the hefty price tag.

You'll need more vet experience hours to be competitive, and diversifying your experiences is good. You have loads of great animal experience, but the schools typically want a lot more vet experience. Study hard for the GRE and do as well as you can, and get more involved in the pre-vet club, if possible.

As someone who has applied in the past with a GPA only slightly higher than yours (the first time I applied, mine was a 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 or so sGPA), Ross was the only school I could get an interview at. This time I got several interviews, having raised both. Now, I'm not saying you won't get looked at, but you can't hurt yourself by doing better GPA wise. You're at what most schools consider the minimum for admission and as someone who's been there, minimum is often not enough. I had to do a lot more to get looked at, including retaking classes and getting As to replace those Cs. Retaking courses also shows perseverance and dedication, and some schools DO replace old grades with new ones. Look for schools that do this, it can only help. Island schools may be a good option, if you don't mind the hefty price tag.

You'll need more vet experience hours to be competitive, and diversifying your experiences is good. You have loads of great animal experience, but the schools typically want a lot more vet experience. Study hard for the GRE and do as well as you can, and get more involved in the pre-vet club, if possible.

Thank you.

I guess the question is, in your opinion, is it worth applying right now?
Obviously it's too late to do anything about my science GPA because I can't retake any classes between now and the deadline.
If I do really well on the GRE, will that significantly help my chances of getting in? I hate to even say it, but I do feel fairly confident about the GRE.

With all of that said, being that I'm set to graduate in the fall... does anybody know whether retaking classes is difficult to do after graduating? Would I be better off delaying graduation given the possibility that I'll need to retake classes? I mean, I would prefer not to put off graduating but if it's going to save me headaches in the long run I might have to reconsider.

Hi everyone!

Typical course load

Thanks everyone!!
Hey there vetspet!

I would personally only take the GRE, this allows you to focus on one test, plus you can only use the MCAT on only a few schools anyway.

As for hours, how does your hours split up species wise? Are they all small animal? Do you have any equine/large animal experience?

Thank you.

I guess the question is, in your opinion, is it worth applying right now?
Obviously it's too late to do anything about my science GPA because I can't retake any classes between now and the deadline.
If I do really well on the GRE, will that significantly help my chances of getting in? I hate to even say it, but I do feel fairly confident about the GRE.

With all of that said, being that I'm set to graduate in the fall... does anybody know whether retaking classes is difficult to do after graduating? Would I be better off delaying graduation given the possibility that I'll need to retake classes? I mean, I would prefer not to put off graduating but if it's going to save me headaches in the long run I might have to reconsider.
I would apply to your instate school if you have one and have a plan in place to improve your application. It would be a good experience and if you don't get in, most schools will do a file review and give you suggestions. I'm not saying your not getting in, but there is no guarantee for anyone applying to vet school to get in even if they have stellar stats. I did apply to my instate and got a file review which was tremendously helpful. You have to find ways to stand out from at least 1,200 other applicants...

Last edited:
So this will by by first time applying to vet school.

Female, 20 years old

I am only applying to my in-state school (University of Tennessee) as a 3+1 student, meaning I am applying a year early. Because of this, I do not have as much experience or credit hours. I will be submitting my application in the fall of my Junior year.

Stats:
Overall GPA-3.92
Math/Science GPA-3.89
Last 45 GPA-3.90

GRE total-318
Verbal-157
Quantitative-161
Analytical-TBA, haven't received my score yet (just took it on the 8th of May)

Experience:
1872 SA (most at an Emergency/Referral Clinic, some volunteering at a shelter in the surgery department)
234 LA
540 Research (Undergrad lab assistant in a reproductive physiology lab, mainly lab maintenance, but did help collect tissues like oocytes from ovaries)

Funny enough, I would like to do large animal medicine, but around here, most of the large animal practice are day practice, and I couldn't get as many hours to support myself and my horse, so I started working at the emergency clinic. My first two summers have been filled with taking classes to complete the 3+1 program, so not a lot of time to work. If I don't get in this time, then I will definitely get more large animal experience.

science GPA: ~3.0 (curse chemistry--it dragged me down. I would retake but I'm not sure it would help and don't want to risk getting lower grades)

21 years old. Female. Graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology Fall 2015. (Minor in Chemistry)

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Other

The problem is that the grades are salvageable (really - sure they are below-average for applicants but they're still within the range) but I don't see another element that really makes up for it. Namely, experience. 150 hrs of shadowing one type of vet probably isn't going to seem highly compelling and enough to 'overcome' the mid-level grades.

Do you have other parts of the app that really stand out?

I would still apply. It's worth a shot. The breeding background is interesting. But I would temper your hopes and recognize that you may need to build up some really good eLORs and more/broader experience.

The problem is that the grades are salvageable (really - sure they are below-average for applicants but they're still within the range) but I don't see another element that really makes up for it. Namely, experience. 150 hrs of shadowing one type of vet probably isn't going to seem highly compelling and enough to 'overcome' the mid-level grades.

Do you have other parts of the app that really stand out?

I would still apply. It's worth a shot. The breeding background is interesting. But I would temper your hopes and recognize that you may need to build up some really good eLORs and more/broader experience.

Thank you.

I'm definitely not too hopeful here, just making sure it's not a waste of my money to apply for this cycle.

Since I had a full time school schedule and full time commitment to my dogs I couldn't manage to take on a paid position and vets in my area simply weren't taking shadows except for my vet--who I think will write me a great letter fwiw. She knows me fairly well and is always asking about my classes and my progress toward vet school, plus she goes out of her way to show and teach me cool things. I'll be shifting to a part time schedule in the fall (and then I graduate) so in terms of boosting my hours for future applications I hope to get a paid position soon and earn more hours.

I am hopeful for my GRE scores.

Other than that I'm really just deciding who else will write me the best eLORs.

And I was thinking that I should probably emphasize my breeding background because I feel that is probably what is most unique about me and it's given me a lot of valuable experience (in my own opinion of course). Aside from everything it's taught me about health, genetics, and anatomy as it pertains to dogs I've also learned how to handle emergencies, deal with people, and to some extent manage a business.

Thank you for your help rockatiel and Ashgirl. Ashgirl, I am very heavily weighted on small animals with some beef farm hours as well. Do you think aquarium or zoo involvement would be a good route? How many more hours would you all recommend... I'm kind of freaking out about hours...

Thank you for your help rockatiel and Ashgirl. Ashgirl, I am very heavily weighted on small animals with some beef farm hours as well. Do you think aquarium or zoo involvement would be a good route? How many more hours would you all recommend... I'm kind of freaking out about hours...

Don't freak out about hours! Lol. It's often said that if you need to diversify, say add LA experience, then just shadowing an LA vet for a week does wonders! Just get yourself exposed. Paid positions are something you should always go with given the chance. I work for a mixed practice that pays me well and let me tell you, I'm sticking to it! I think aquarium and zoo would be great as well.

And I was thinking that I should probably emphasize my breeding background because I feel that is probably what is most unique about me and it's given me a lot of valuable experience (in my own opinion of course). Aside from everything it's taught me about health, genetics, and anatomy as it pertains to dogs I've also learned how to handle emergencies, deal with people, and to some extent manage a business.

I think breeding experience is awesome and will make you stand out, but just be wary of some issues that may come up in interviews. From what you describe, your breeding sounds ethical and works to preserve the health of the breed, but be sure to make that clear to Adcoms. I'd just be afraid that issues of pet overpopulation amd shelter medicine may arise. But since you're coming from the standpoint of health, genetics, and business management, I think it'll be great to put on your app! Just be ready to get some questions about your opinions on overpopulation if it does happen.

Edit: this is coming from someone who is heavily involved in animal rescue but also is on the dog showing scene.

Female, 20 years old

I am only applying to my in-state school (University of Tennessee) as a 3+1 student, meaning I am applying a year early. Because of this, I do not have as much experience or credit hours. I will be submitting my application in the fall of my Junior year.

Stats:
Overall GPA-3.92
Math/Science GPA-3.89
Last 45 GPA-3.90

GRE total-318
Verbal-157
Quantitative-161

Experience:
1872 SA (most at an Emergency/Referral Clinic, some volunteering at a shelter in the surgery department)
234 LA
540 Research (Undergrad lab assistant in a reproductive physiology lab, mainly lab maintenance, but did help collect tissues like oocytes from ovaries)

Funny enough, I would like to do large animal medicine, but around here, most of the large animal practice are day practice, and I couldn't get as many hours to support myself and my horse, so I started working at the emergency clinic. My first two summers have been filled with taking classes to complete the 3+1 program, so not a lot of time to work. If I don't get in this time, then I will definitely get more large animal experience.

I think you have a decent shot. I'd keep working on experience if you can. Is your experience all veterinary or animal? Are you a member of any clubs (they tend to want well rounded individuals)? UTK does weight things based on how many classes you have taken per semester, too.

27 y/o female. Class of 2010 college grad. NY state resident.

Academics (aka - the area in need of improvement):

Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: Biology, Psychology

cummulative GPA: 3.1
science GPA: 2.687 (eek...)

Veterinary Experience:
May 2007 - Aug. 2007 - Assistant at a SA feline exclusive vet clinic ( ~220 hours )
Jan 2009- May 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA hospital ( ~ 80 hours)
Sept. 2009-Dec. 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA emergency hospital ( ~70 hours)
Jan. 2010 - May 2010 - Interned once a week at an Equine hospital on call with their ambulatory service ( ~175 hours)
July 2011 - present - Working as an assistant in a SA/exotics/occassional wildlife rehab veterinary hospital (5,000 + hours)
Sept. 2014 - present - Working as a veterinary assistant for a SA house call vet one day a week, bi-weekly (~140 hours)

LOR:
-1 former professor who I've had for three undergrad classes and who knows me well
-3 from the SA vets I've worked with for the past 4 years and who I have amazing relationships with
-1 from my SA house-call veterinarian

Extracurriculars:
-Phi Delta Epsilon medical club (2006-2008)
-American Chemical Society (2008-2009)

GRE:
Verbal: 159
Quant: 153
Writing: 5.0

I have posted my stats here before, a little over a year ago. But, I wanted to update some information.

I also wanted some input from you guys on how to proceed improving my GPA. I have applied to and been accepted to a Biology MS program with a chance to do research. However, it's not funded and I would have to bank on getting a graduate teaching assistantship to waive tuition and get a living stipend. It's also 7 hours away from where I live and basically everything/everyone I know. Plus, I'd have to leave a job I love in the veterinary field where I've been given a lot of responsibility and chances to help in surgery, etc., that I really enjoy. BUT, if it was a beneficial move to improve my GPA and assist my application for vet schools, it would be a justified academic move. Yet, I've been getting some conflicting opinions from professors and advisors and it's frustrating me.

My pre-health committee advisor was the one who suggested the MS program route. But I have another professor who questions it and thinks that it's pointless, especially if I have to pay for it and not get tuition waived. And then, I fear that some schools will still prioritize my undergraduate grades and not even look at the MS program ones (as some schools only care about certain courses) and thus a masters would be for nothing. I have contacted Tufts, Cornell and UPenn about this issue. Tufts has been the only one to respond thus far and they do mention that the first step that they would take is to redo select undergrad courses and show a strong improved/upward trend compared to former grades. They say they don't expect me to hit the average admitted student GPA of 3.65, but to aim for "A"s in the retakes. And then the suggest retaking the GRE to improve my Math score to a 159-ish. Then, after retaking courses, they feel a masters program could benefit my candidacy. But, idk that I would do a masters AND retake classes. To do all of that would take ~4 years, likely. So, it's all very confusing, but that's the opinion from the horse's mouth for Tufts, at least. Cornell, in a phone interview that I had with their admissions director about a year ago, agreed that a masters program could benefit my application and show that I can perform well in higher level science courses. Thus, again - kind of contradictory views. And the VMCAS will factor repeat grades in and my GPAs will actually be lower than the above reported numbers as a result. So, I'd really have to have a strong upward trend (effectively straight As) in whatever classes I take, undergrad or grad.

I'm not shying away from doing the work or the time, I just don't know where I should direct my efforts. I don't want to throw money at an MS degree that won't benefit me; truthfully, at this time, I'd be using it as a stepping stone to vet school. I don't know that I'd have Phd aspirations to follow up with, if the vet school thing didn't work, so it's a big risk. Though, again, I don't want to throw away an acceptance into a masters program to retake undergrad classes that won't raise my GPA much, unless schools look at last 45 credit hours or look for that upward trend.

To do the MS, I'd have to leave a job I love in the veterinary field where I learn a lot, love my coworkers and have a good amount of responsibility including the opportunity to assist in surgery on occasion, which I love. I'd also be moving 7 hours away, not be able to work (or at least make very much, if I didn't get the graduate teaching assistant position) and it may not get me any closer to vet school. BUT, it would allow me to add research to my resume, it could improve my vet applications and IF I got the TA position and continued to do so each semester, it would be pretty close to free.

Repeating undergrad classes at a local college would allow me to continue to work at my job (though I'd have to tweak some hours) if I went part time. It would take about 2 years to complete the courses I want, which is no longer than the MS would take. But, I wouldn't have another degree to show for it at the end of those 2 years. Retakes could improve my chances if I show a strong trend. I could continue to pay off loans I already have in the meantime and lessen my debt going into vet school (if that ever happens).

So, while I wait for Cornell and UPenn's opinions, and drive myself crazy doing so...does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences to offer opinions on? I'd really appreciate any guidance in this process. I'm kind of on my own, figuring things out as I go...

Unless the MS is something you really want and something you feel you would like to have as a backup in case you don't get into vet school, I would focus on retaking classes and perhaps changing up where you are applying. It's not really the VMCAS gpa that matters so much - most schools do their own calculations. What matters is that if a school is looking at your pre-req GPA and you are below a cutoff of some kind, they likely won't even look at your masters work. If, on top of that, you end up not receiving funding for the program, it seems like an even worse idea - doing well in a master's doesn't guarantee anything (nothing does really) but vet school is a huge financial commitment and it is best to have as little debt as possible going into it. I would keep your job, retake the classes and get A's, and look into applying to schools that do grade replacement and look more heavily at last 45 GPA. Retaking the GRE is also not a bad idea if you think you could improve your scores.

Last edited:

Female, 20 years old

Stats:
Overall GPA-3.92
Math/Science GPA-3.89
Last 45 GPA-3.90

GRE total-318
Verbal-157
Quantitative-161

Experience:
234 LA

Apply to UC Davis, your grades are excellent your quant GRE score is solid and we only require 180 vet hours - you can convert to in-state tuition after 1 year and we give an average of $42,000 in scholarships and grants to each student (in essence, we pay for one of your 4 years of vet school) you don't need more hours vet experience hours if you apply on the left coast :) but you will need a BA or BS to apply - in my opinion, requiring thousands of "volunteer or free vet experience hours" penalizes students that have to work to support their education - However, Tennessee is a great program and I have a bunch of great faculty friends there - you would get a good education - but, we want you more :)

Hi! I posted awhile ago but I've updated some of my info a bit. I'm hoping to apply this cycle!
Cali Resident:
Academics:
cGPA: 3.02
sGPA: 3.05
last 45 GPA: 3.85
Verbal: 162 (89%)
Quant: 165 (90%)
Writing: 4.5 (80%)

Vet hours:
250 spayneuter clinic
250 wildlife medicine internship
300 small animal clinic

Animal hours:
20 hrs animal shelter
240 hrs lab animal tech

Research:
750 hrs biophotonics (publication)
350 hrs bioengineering senior design project
1100 hrs molecular bio lab

I'm planning on applying broadly to davis, upenn, minnesota, michigan, iowa, kansas, and washington. Do you guys think its worth applying to so many? I actually had 10 in mind but I feel like I should cut some schools out. I would love to get in UPenn because I know they have an excellent molecular bio program, but I think my academics and vet hours may both be below average....

Pretty nervous to post this... but I would really like to know how realistic my chances are this cycle before I bother pouring more time and money into it when I've got two more semesters to further raise my GPA. Long story short, I began in an unrelated field, did terribly, then switched to pre-vet and started getting much better grades as I found that that was I truly wanted to do. As a result, my cumulative GPA is quite bad... but I'm hoping that my high science and last-45 GPAs can perhaps salvage me!

I am primarily into small animal, but I do recognize that many students' interests change during vet school, so I'm keeping an open mind.

22 y/o female, 1st time applicant
Missouri resident, B.S. Biology - will be completed May 2016

Applying: Mizzou (IS), ISU, and (possibly?) LSU or some other OOS school that looks favorably at higher science/last-45 GPAs

Academics
Cum GPA: 3.25
Science GPA: ~3.7
Last-45 Hours GPA: ~3.6
GRE: 4.5 AW, 161 Verbal, 157 Quant - I have scheduled a retake in July.

Veterinary Experience
- 970 hours holistic/alternative SA GP shadow
- 250 hours SA GP/emergency hospital shadow
- 25 hours zoo vet shadow
- 60 hours exclusively avian clinic shadow
- 18 hours working two consecutive years at an annual low-cost rabies vaccine and microchip clinic

I am planning to hopefully get 200-300 hours either equine or LA to help diversify a bit more.

Animal Experience
- 10 hours working with sea turtles in Costa Rica
- 450 hours volunteering at equine therapy facility
- 300 hours volunteering at various animal shelters
- ~100 hours pet sitting and fostering
- 20 hours horseback riding
- 9 hours aging white-tailed deer for MO Department of Conservation

Research
- 60 hours running statistical tests, writing the abstract, and presenting at a conference; examining the effects of varying concentrations of several heavy metals on the growth rate of the plant, Lemna minor
- 80 hours doing the same duties above for another project dealing with amphipod mortality and leaf decomposition

Employment
- 3700 hours as a restaurant manager throughout my first three years of undergrad (involved a lot of customer service resolution and some basic business management/stocking stuff, along with managing an entire crew of workers)
- 600 hours as a seasonal employee at another restaurant one summer
- 400+ hours as a biology and organic chemistry tutor at our Student Success Center

Extracurricular/Community Service
- 10 hours 2011 Joplin tornado relief
- 20 hours helping build computer lab for rural Costa Rican school
- Biology Club
- Chemistry Club
- Drawing
- Flute playing
- Varsity Debate Team in high school
- Web designer and programmer for FIRST Robotics Team in high school
- Studied Spanish for 7 years, and Japanese for 3

Awards
- One of 60 incoming 2011 freshman at my university to be nominated for and recieve an Emerging Leader award
- Dean's List a couple of semesters
- Selected to present research at 2015 annual Missouri Academy of Science
- Random scholarship-type stuff

eLORs
- Veterinarian from the holistic/alternative practice
- Academic adviser who is also a DVM
- My research mentor/PI - I've also taken multiple classes with him, so he knows me very well
- Psychology professor - she is the one who nominated me for the Emerging Leader award
I think if you rock your next two years and keep diversifying your experience, you have a good shot. I personally wouldn't worry about your GRE score. Mizzou only ranks the GRE 4% of your admissions stuff.

I am applying to st. matthews with no experience with animals. I was planning on going med school but changed to vet. I have over 70 hours with physicians, undergraduate research, 3.2 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa. 310 on gre. What are my chances?

I am applying to st. matthews with no experience with animals. I was planning on going med school but changed to vet. I have over 70 hours with physicians, undergraduate research, 3.2 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa. 310 on gre. What are my chances?
I don't know much about St. Matthews specifically, except that it is not accredited by the AVMA. But in general, even if they don't require any animal experience, this is not a field you jump into without any experience at all. How do you even know you want to be a vet if you have no experience with animals, let alone any experience in a veterinary setting? Just my two cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone!
So here goes nothing:
I am a first time applicant - heading into my last year of undergrad this fall
Applying to:
VTech/MD (will be my in state school), UGA, Mississippi state, Cornell, UC Davis, Iowa state, NC state, Auburn

Academics:

GPA- 3.86
VMCAS Science GPA-3.83
GRE- Verbal- 155, Quantitative - 157, Analytical - 4.0- but I am taking it again this summer after studying two different GRE books

Experience:
600 hours of small animal vet experience
200-300 hours of equine vet experience (still doing this so don't know for sure how many it will end up being)
5000 hours of horse experience - riding, show team, owning, volunteer work, etc.
288 hours of mixed animal experience through hands on animal science classes (pigs, cows, horses, poultry)
-have owned lots of pets my whole life but haven't quite figured out how to calculate this into hours yet!

Extra experience/awards:
Vice president, now president of equestrian team
Animal Science department student ambassador
Deans List or Presidents List member every semester
Various merit based scholarships
I am a member of the Honors College and will graduate with honors
Will be the philanthropy chair of the pre-vet club this coming year
Will likely be doing research this fall with an equine faculty member
Will be getting hours this summer at a lab animal research center
Was a member of a professor-led student group that read and discussed philosophical articles about Animal Rights and put together an event where an important philosopher came and spoke about his recent Animal Rights paper

eLORs:
My riding coach of 10 years. I have volunteered for her and have worked at her barn for years and she has always supported my desire to be a veterinarian.

Faculty teacher/advisor who I have had classes with, have been a teachers assistant for, and is the advisor to the equestrian team that I am president of. She has been helping me throughout undergrad to prepare for these applications and is very happy to be my evaluator.

Equine vet I am working for. I haven't secured this one yet, however she said when I began working for her she would be very happy to help in any way with my application so I am going to ask her soon.

Hi! I posted awhile ago but I've updated some of my info a bit. I'm hoping to apply this cycle!
Cali Resident:
Academics:
cGPA: 3.02
sGPA: 3.05
last 45 GPA: 3.85
Verbal: 162 (89%)
Quant: 165 (90%)
Writing: 4.5 (80%)

Vet hours:
250 spayneuter clinic
250 wildlife medicine internship
300 small animal clinic

Animal hours:
20 hrs animal shelter
240 hrs lab animal tech

Research:
750 hrs biophotonics (publication)
350 hrs bioengineering senior design project
1100 hrs molecular bio lab

I'm planning on applying broadly to davis, upenn, minnesota, michigan, iowa, kansas, and washington. Do you guys think its worth applying to so many? I actually had 10 in mind but I feel like I should cut some schools out. I would love to get in UPenn because I know they have an excellent molecular bio program, but I think my academics and vet hours may both be below average....

I think you should apply broadly as well. Your cGPA and sGPA are on the low end, but your last 45 and your GRE scores are really good. Your research experience is good as well. It looks to me like there's some kind of story there - obviously you're capable. What happened to kill your overall and science GPA's? I think the way you present that is going to be really important to your application.

I just finished my freshman year in pre-vet. I've had 600 animal experience hours through 4-H by showing horses, cattle, and pigs. I trained a leader dog for the blind. My GPA is 3.7. I'm looking to apply to vet school after my 3rd year (3+1 program). I'm working at a gait analysis lab and histopathology lab this summer. I've gotten about 100 hours at the school's large animal hospital. I was also on the foal team so I have a handful of large vet experience there. I'm volunteering in the vet Oncology department this summer. I'm also employed as an animal caretaker at my school. I'm in the process of volunteering at a clinic on a regular basis, I've had such a hard time getting in somewhere. I'm going to Haiti this winter for a livestock service learning trip. I'm planning on getting an internship at the local zoo for some exotic experience. Hopefully I can make some time volunteering at the humane society too. I have before, just not many hours. Anything I can do more of? I'm also the fundraising chairman of my club and held every office in 4-H and FFA..even started a club in 4-H. Haven't taken the GRE yet. Just wanted other opinions on how I'm doing to get accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.