This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your GPA's seem good, especially for grad school. Nice job on the GRE (especially the verbal part)! Those scores are competitive. Although your animal and non-animal experience is good and covers some broad areas, the main issue I see is your vet experience. Some schools require at least 400-500 hours to be considered. I am not sure about Illinois. Keep in mind that a lot of people apply with over 700 vet hours with some students in the 1000's.

Thanks for the input! That is another concern of mine, since I've just been working part-time in veterinary medicine for the past ~ 14 months. I've been considering doing vet med full-time to accumulate as much experience as possible, but the money I make at my current job is very decent (especially for environmental science). I should have ~400 hours by the time I apply, though. I forgot to mention that I will also be shadowing a large animal veterinarian for two days later this month, and an equine veterinarian for three days in June with some PTO I have accrued.

Should I try to hold it off another year to gather more experience? I'm just at an age where I'm a bit concerned about holding it off too much longer.

EDIT: goofed on the math and it looks like I actually have at least 210 hours from my Florida clinic job

Members don't see this ad.

25 y/o male applicant, first time applying, Illinois resident (moved here August 17 2015 and have had a full-time job the entire time so I'm hoping I will have residency in August for the application)

Graduated in December 2011 from the University of Central Florida with a B.S. in Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Graduated in December 2014 from the University of Central Florida with a M.S. in Conservation Biology (non-thesis)

Applying to: Illinois (potentially IS), Wisconsin, Iowa State, Oregon State, and Virginia-Maryland

Undergrad GPA: 3.68
Grad GPA: 3.43
Last 45 (including grad): 3.51
GRE: 168v/158Q/4.5AW

Vet:
-144 hours as a Veterinary Assistant at a small animal clinic back home in Florida
-80 hours as a Veterinary Assistant at a small animal clinic in Illinois (will have approximately 144 hours by the time I apply) (current part-time job)
-32 hours as a Clinic Assistant at a wildlife rehab center (mostly raptors and small mammals, should have approximately 104 hours when I apply) (current part-time volunteer position)

Animal:
-108 hours as an Animal Keeper at the same wildlife rehab center (current part-time volunteer position)
-40 hours spent excavating Gopher Tortoise burrows for relocation
-960 hours spent monitoring migratory birds at an environmental consulting firm (might be a stretch I didn't work directly with the birds)

Non-animal employment:
-2400 hours spent working as a scientist at an environmental consulting firm (current full-time job)
-960 hours spent working as a laboratory assistant at a hospital
-160 hours spent working as a pharmacy technician
-448 hours spent working as a land management intern

No research experience, despite finishing a graduate degree which is...strange, but whatever.

Letters:
-Veterinarian at my current part-time job (owner)
-Veterinarian at wildlife rehab center
-Professor from my graduate biostatistics course
-City Planner/Professor I shadowed

I am really worried about getting Illinois residency for application purposes, since I wasn't able to move here until August and I obviously don't want to be considered OOS. Moved here to get residency, but I might not have given myself enough time.
Just be wary. Oregon is very difficult to get into as an out of state student. The class size is only 56. And there were 857 applications for the 16 out of state positions available last year.

Hi guys! I’ve been lurking for a while but this is my first post! Yay!

23, female, first time applicant
I'm graduating from Dartmouth College this year, Philosophy/Biology (Evolutionary Ecology, specifically) double major, hoping to apply to Penn and maybe Tufts this cycle, and I’m specifically interested in zoo med.

cumulative GPA: 3.52
last 45 GPA: 3.52 (guessing grades for this term)
science GPA: 3.34
GRE: 165V/156Q/4.5W

vet experience:
- 300 hours at a mixed SA/LA practice
- 150 hours with wildlife vet in South Africa
- 3 hours with vets at the San Diego Zoo (not much time but really influenced my interests)
(planning ~75 this spring with a local vet who does SA/exotics)

animal experience:
- 150 hours wildlife orphanage/refuge/zoo in Zimbabwe
- 250 hours hand raising orphaned foster kittens (3 days-12 weeks)
- 150 hours fostering mother dog and puppies
- 50 hours fostering other dogs
- 150 hours pet sitting
- 56 hours hatching ducklings
- 50 hours working with sled dogs (tours)
- lots of pets (dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, mice, hedgehogs, ducks, leopard gecko), but have heard mixed things about whether to even mention this

research experience:
-210 hours trapping and measuring the pigmentation/symmetry of painted turtles, hatching eggs, and doing egg carotenoid level manipulations

non-animal employment:
- 450 hours coaching high school varsity soccer (two seasons officially, more unofficially)

letters:
- SA vet I’ve shadowed since middle school
- Dartmouth philosophy professor (one who happens to share my strong interest in non-human animal ethics)
- Dartmouth biology professor (who’s lab I worked in)
- other Dartmouth biology professor

I haven’t taken orgo, biochem, or microbiology yet, but I’m planning to complete those in a post-bac program next year (hopefully UPenn, waiting to hear back on my application) which as far as I can tell won’t be a problem for the schools I’m interested in. As an undergrad I chose to focus on my majors/other interests (especially philosophy) so didn’t have time to complete everything. Not sure how vet schools will look at that but it seemed to make the most sense for me.

I know I don’t have a ton of vet experience and GPA could be a bit higher (especially science GPA - hopefully will get it up a bit with the post-bac classes), but I’m thinking it’s worth a shot this year while I work on bringing everything up. I’m completely prepared to get rejected this year and try again if necessary, but any thoughts on my chances/advice on what to work on now would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So experience question. My dad owns his own business. And I spent a LOT of summers working there when I was in middle/ high school. Can I put it for employment experience, even though it's from my family? (It's my only work experience- my only other job is classified as vet experience)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So experience question. My dad owns his own business. And I spent a LOT of summers working there when I was in middle/ high school. Can I put it for employment experience, even though it's from my family? (It's my only work experience- my only other job is classified as vet experience)

Yes, if you were paid (more specifically if you paid taxes), it's employment. Family only becomes an issue for the letter of recommendation part.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input! That is another concern of mine, since I've just been working part-time in veterinary medicine for the past ~ 14 months. I've been considering doing vet med full-time to accumulate as much experience as possible, but the money I make at my current job is very decent (especially for environmental science). I should have ~400 hours by the time I apply, though. I forgot to mention that I will also be shadowing a large animal veterinarian for two days later this month, and an equine veterinarian for three days in June with some PTO I have accrued.

Should I try to hold it off another year to gather more experience? I'm just at an age where I'm a bit concerned about holding it off too much longer.

EDIT: goofed on the math and it looks like I actually have at least 210 hours from my Florida clinic job
If you are going to have close to 400 hours, I would go ahead an apply. You still have good stats to be competitive.

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how to improve my application for this cycle. I am a non traditional student and had to take a few pre-reqs to be considered last year. I applied last year and got interviewed and waitlisted at tennessee and also waitlisted at UF.

I'd say your chances are rather good, especially being waitlisted last year.

Remember it's a numbers game so figured out the schools breakout for scoring applicants and then put your effort into the area that gives you the most points. My guess is it'll be GRE score. I'd also recommend applying to KSU in Kansas. They have a large animal focus and are ALWAYS looking for men. We have a shortage it seems of Vet's in KS who are willing to be LA Docs. I don't know why?

Oddly enough each time I interviewed in KS I was asked a great deal about equine, other then owning a horse when I was a kid I have zero experience. I also indicated zero experience on my application. So I guess one can say KS also likes horse experience. Who knows.

I'd also look into programs that are offered through your local colleges that do trips overseas during the summer, look outside the biology/animal science department. I found one through the Human Services Department where a professors took a team to Africa to study gorilla's from a social standpoint. Talk about making your application standout and keeping with the large animal trend. Check the box for exotics!

Good luck =)

Yes, if you were paid (more specifically if you paid taxes), it's employment. Family only becomes an issue for the letter of recommendation part.
Yay! That's great! Because that's around 1200 hours of employment experiences (and I don't have the highest amount of other experience).

Yes, I got paid, but I'm honestly not sure about taxes, I'd have to ask my family accountant, I'm sure we did them though.

Major: Biology

Cum GPA: 3.27
GRE: V 164 / Q 170 / W 4.0

Veterinary Experience
- Approximately 125 hours wildlife externship at vet school
- 600 + Kennel assistant small animal

Animal Experience
- 120 hrs animal shelter volunteer
- 300-400 hours aquarium volunteer - Ongoing

Research Experience
- 3 years + fish lab. Idk how many hours but there's a lot

Extracurricular
- Hiking club president 1 year

LOR
- SA veterinarian I work for. Glowing letter.
- PI who I've worked for for 3 years.
- Aquarium supervisor. WCS facility if that means anything.

Chances of getting into the Caribbean schools? State side schools if I do apply?

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Research Experience

Extracurricular

LOR

Chances of getting into the Caribbean schools? State side schools if I do apply?

What are your science and last 45 GPAs?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol I'm hoping they make up for my gpa.

They can make up for your gpa... depending on where you apply.

You need to put in the time to look at schools and see how they weigh things. Do you have an IS school?

Have you already graduated with a bachelor's or do you have time left to raise those grades?

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Research Experience

Extracurricular

LOR

I think the best bet for when you apply is to make sure you are hitting at least the averages for entrance to that school. If you fall short somewhere, make sure you make up for it in another category.

After talking to admissions faculty, they say GRE is important in the sense that if its low it can hurt your application, but it won't be the reason you get into a school. Unfortunately GRE is not weighed as heavy as say MCAT or LSAT.

Hope this helps.

I think the best bet for when you apply is to make sure you are hitting at least the averages for entrance to that school. If you fall short somewhere, make sure you make up for it in another category.

After talking to admissions faculty, they say GRE is important in the sense that if its low it can hurt your application, but it won't be the reason you get into a school. Unfortunately GRE is not weighed as heavy as say MCAT or LSAT.

Hope this helps.
Not always true....Michigan State actually weighs the Q portion pretty heavily. With a 170, that person would actually be considered pretty competitive. More competitive than I was with a higher GPA and lower GRE scores. This school also doesn't even look at cum GPA and weighs last 45 really heavily as well...heavier than your science GPA.

http://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm/apply/sis-calculator Play around with this, OP. You can also see what potentially repeating classes could do for you. No guarantee that you'd get admitted with your current stats of course, but you'd move onto the file review phase for sure. Your SIS score is higher than mine was, and I got an interview. A 170 Q score is not very common, so the adcoms will definitely be doing a double take when they see your file. Repeating courses can only help you, though.
I think science is like 3.1 and last 45 3.3? I do this weird thing where I score really well fall semester then doodee spring. Idk why
Lol, I was the opposite. I had crappy fall semesters and nearly 4.0'd every Spring semester.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I am a Florida resident and I really want to go to UF. I had a rough spring semester. I am doing pretty poorly and it looks like i will be getting a b or b- in orgo 2 and a b- in physics 2. This will bring down my overall gpa to a 3.7 and definitely bring down my science and last 45 gpa as well. I am wondering how much this will hurt my chances.

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science: 3.8
Last 45: 3.82
GRE: taking it sometime this spring!
** These gpa numbers will be going down :(

Estimated new gpas:
overall 3.7
science 3.6
last 45 3.6

I am just wondering how much this will hurt me as I am very disappointed in myself right now.

Vet:
250 hours volunteering at the UF small animal hospital in various departments (ICU, PCW, Radiology)
150 shadowing the vet from my hometown
400 SAH i just got a job at (I am a technician)
*I am hoping to get my veterinary hours to about 1,000 by the time i actually have to apply

Animal:
350 hours at a dog grooming place as a bather
250 hours at a vet's office (i worked in the kennel)
8 hours grooming retired horses

Non-animal employment:
I worked for 5 years as a gymnastics coach

Research:
80 hours working with rodents studying activity based anorexia (i attended lab meetings, assisted with general maintenance, observed and noted their food intake post injections and performed an ovariectomy on a rat)
*it wasn't that in-depth, but it was good insight into research based positions, and i learned it wasn't my thing really

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester
Alpha Zeta Honors Fraternity
*i found it really hard to become involved in things in college, i found myself becoming really shy and wanting to avoid activities with a lot of people as bad as that sounds

Hi! I am a Florida resident and I really want to go to UF. I had a rough spring semester. I am doing pretty poorly and it looks like i will be getting a b or b- in orgo 2 and a b- in physics 2. This will bring down my overall gpa to a 3.7 and definitely bring down my science and last 45 gpa as well. I am wondering how much this will hurt my chances.

Estimated new gpas:
overall 3.7
science 3.6
last 45 3.6

I am just wondering how much this will hurt me as I am very disappointed in myself right now.

Vet:
250 hours volunteering at the UF small animal hospital in various departments (ICU, PCW, Radiology)
*I am hoping to get my veterinary hours to about 1,000 by the time i actually have to apply

Animal:

Non-animal employment:

Research:
80 hours working with rodents studying activity based anorexia (i attended lab meetings, assisted with general maintenance, observed and noted their food intake post injections and performed an ovariectomy on a rat)
*it wasn't that in-depth, but it was good insight into research based positions, and i learned it wasn't my thing really

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester
*i found it really hard to become involved in things in college, i found myself becoming really shy and wanting to avoid activities with a lot of people as bad as that sounds
A couple of b's are seriously nothing to worry about. 3.7 is still a great gpa. As far as the rest of your stats, I would see about getting some large animal and/or equine vet experience. It looks like all of your experience is small animal so you may want to diversify a bit. And make sure you do well on the GRE.

Estimated new gpas:
overall 3.7
science 3.6
last 45 3.6

Vet:

Animal:

Non-animal employment:

Research:

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester

What year are you? I feel like a few Bs in a mostly As transcript wouldn't bring you down an entire point. Maybe in the last 45 yeah, but not your cumulative. Your GPA is still competitive at a 3.7 (surpasses the averages for most schools), so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I agree with WZ in terms of overall advice, I wouldn't worry about the GPA. Focus on doing well on the GRE, and try to get some diversity. Large animal, equine or even exotics experience will add some breadth to your application, which schools definitely like to see.

GPA's of 3.6-3.7 are nothing to be disappointed about. Heck, a lot of people would love to apply with GPA's like that. As already stated, do well on your GRE and get diverse vet experience. It wouldn't hurt to get involved in some leadership roles too as vet schools tend to look at that too.

Estimated new gpas:
overall 3.7
science 3.6
last 45 3.6

Vet:

Animal:

Non-animal employment:

Research:

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester
I got into UF with lower academic stats (well, waitlisted then called off). Definitely keep them as high as you can, but stop freaking out over a 3.7. That's above the average for vet school.

UF really likes equine experience.

Can't believe VMCAS opens soon. I need some advice on what else to do this summer to improve my app as much as possible, as well as whether I have a shot at the schools I'm interested in.
GPA: 3.75 science: 3.6-3.7? GRE: Taking by beginning of June
Schools planning on applying to: Purdue (IS), Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio State, Ok State, Missouri, Iowa State

Vet Experiences
LA Purdue VTH - 130 (horses, cattle, goats, pigs..etc)
Farm vets - 100 (horses, cattle)
SA hospital- 333 (shadowing in summer)
Purdue VTH oncology - 70
Radiation oncology - 76 (working part time in the summer)
Foal Watch - 20
Avian/Exotic Animal Clinic - 10
Histology/pathology lab - 610
Necropsy Floor - 3 (shadowing couple times a week during the summer)

Animal Experience
Leader Dog Training - 350
Humane Society-50
Purdue VTH SA Caretaker - 90
4-H beef cattle - 300
4-H horses - 200
4-H swine - 125
Farm work - 1,000
4-H Dog - 350
Lab Animal Caretaker - 300
FFA Livestock judging - 175

Other Employment
Subway - 300

Class Experiences
Haiti study abroad
ANSC 245 - animal management class - 50 hrs
ANSC 181 - TA
ENGL 108 - working with nursing home

Research
170- gait analysis

Extracurriculars
4-H - 10 year member, numerous awards, started beef club, various leadership positions, loads of community service
FFA - President, reporter, beef proficiency went to nationals, community service
Heifer International - Club Fundraiser officer, Treasurer
Indiana Faith basketball community service
basketball - played varsity for two years
Pre-vet club member, fundraising chair officer
High school - top 25 graduating class, played flute, guitar, and piano, National Honor Society, Academic Spell bowl, Science bowl
Assisting with vet open house, representing diagnostic lab at vet conference

Awards
Vet Camps, scholarships, winning poster for English writing showcase, 4-H ambassador, Deans List

Can't believe VMCAS opens soon. I need some advice on what else to do this summer to improve my app as much as possible, as well as whether I have a shot at the schools I'm interested in.
GPA: 3.75 science: 3.6-3.7? GRE: Taking by beginning of June
Schools planning on applying to: Purdue (IS), Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio State, Ok State, Missouri, Iowa State

Vet Experiences
LA Purdue VTH - 130 (horses, cattle, goats, pigs..etc)
Farm vets - 100 (horses, cattle)
SA hospital- 333 (shadowing in summer)
Purdue VTH oncology - 70
Radiation oncology - 76 (working part time in the summer)
Foal Watch - 20
Avian/Exotic Animal Clinic - 10
Histology/pathology lab - 610
Necropsy Floor - 3 (shadowing couple times a week during the summer)

Animal Experience
Leader Dog Training - 350
Humane Society-50
Purdue VTH SA Caretaker - 90
4-H beef cattle - 300
4-H horses - 200
4-H swine - 125
Farm work - 1,000
4-H Dog - 350
Lab Animal Caretaker - 300
FFA Livestock judging - 175

Other Employment
Subway - 300

Class Experiences
Haiti study abroad
ANSC 245 - animal management class - 50 hrs
ANSC 181 - TA
ENGL 108 - working with nursing home

Research
170- gait analysis

Extracurriculars
4-H - 10 year member, numerous awards, started beef club, various leadership positions, loads of community service
FFA - President, reporter, beef proficiency went to nationals, community service
Heifer International - Club Fundraiser officer, Treasurer
Indiana Faith basketball community service
basketball - played varsity for two years
Pre-vet club member, fundraising chair officer
High school - top 25 graduating class, played flute, guitar, and piano, National Honor Society, Academic Spell bowl, Science bowl
Assisting with vet open house, representing diagnostic lab at vet conference

Awards
Vet Camps, scholarships, winning poster for English writing showcase, 4-H ambassador, Deans List

I think you're a competitive applicant. Study for the GRE and keep getting diverse experiences!

Reactions: 1 users
I am about to apply this cycle but I am starting to think my chances could be slim. I don't have exact stats but my science and last 45 gpa's are not good (like really bad). I still have 4 or 5 pre req classes left that I'm going to bust my butt to do well in but even if I get all A's in those I don't know if that will be enough.

I also will be taking the gre soon and think I'll do pretty well.

I currently work as a SA vet assistant and when I submit my app I should have ~1500+ hours there. I also have 60 hours of SA surgery shadowing.
I have about 200 hours of large animal from 3 different places.

This should lead to 2-3 very strong LOR's.

Lastly I believe if offered an interview, I will be able to excel in that department.

I guess the real question is, although grades are extremely important to get in, could having positives in everything else outweigh the really bad gpa? I haven't really seen many, if any, get in with grades like mine. I plan on being very strategic when applying and picking schools that don't look at grades as much of a factor.

I am about to apply this cycle but I am starting to think my chances could be slim. I don't have exact stats but my science and last 45 gpa's are not good (like really bad). I still have 4 or 5 pre req classes left that I'm going to bust my butt to do well in but even if I get all A's in those I don't know if that will be enough.

I also will be taking the gre soon and think I'll do pretty well.

I currently work as a SA vet assistant and when I submit my app I should have ~1500+ hours there. I also have 60 hours of SA surgery shadowing.
I have about 200 hours of large animal from 3 different places.

This should lead to 2-3 very strong LOR's.

Lastly I believe if offered an interview, I will be able to excel in that department.

I guess the real question is, although grades are extremely important to get in, could having positives in everything else outweigh the really bad gpa? I haven't really seen many, if any, get in with grades like mine. I plan on being very strategic when applying and picking schools that don't look at grades as much of a factor.
How bad is your GPA? I knew someone get in with a 2.9- as long as it's above the minimum. Also, have you considered retaking classes to raise it?

We can't really answer this question without knowing how bad the GPAs are. I've seen people on here ask that with a 3.4, and others asking that about a 2.5. And they get different answers....

So in high school I took a lot of AP classes- and passed all the AP tests, which means that a lot of the easier core classes (math, chemistry, etc) don't count for my GPA, so all I really have is ochem and other hard sciences. Should I retake those classes in college just to boost my GPA, even if I've already taken them before?

So in high school I took a lot of AP classes- and passed all the AP tests, which means that a lot of the easier core classes (math, chemistry, etc) don't count for my GPA, so all I really have is ochem and other hard sciences. Should I retake those classes in college just to boost my GPA, even if I've already taken them before?

Are you entering college now or have you been in college for a bit already?

Are you entering college now or have you been in college for a bit already?
I've been in it for a while. About to start my 3rd year/ applying this summer. I calculated it according to Okstate's core GPA, and as is, I have a 3.61. If I take physics 1&2 over the summer at my JC and get an A, I'll have a 3.67.

If I take college algebra (have calculus credit), it'll be a 3.69. That's a pretty competitive core GPA, right?

I've been in it for a while. About to start my 3rd year/ applying this summer. I calculated it according to Okstate's core GPA, and as is, I have a 3.61. If I take physics 1&2 over the summer at my JC and get an A, I'll have a 3.67.

If I take college algebra (have calculus credit), it'll be a 3.69. That's a pretty competitive core GPA, right?

If you were going to do it, I would think doing it before you took the harder classes would look better. At this point it would be kind of obvious grade padding and it may serve you better to take and do well in some upper level classes. That's just my opinion though. Taking college algebra when you've taken calculus also seem like a situation that would make me want to stab myself in the eye.

If you were going to do it, I would think doing it before you took the harder classes would look better. At this point it would be kind of obvious grade padding and it may serve you better to take and do well in some upper level classes. That's just my opinion though. Taking college algebra when you've taken calculus also seem like a situation that would make me want to stab myself in the eye.
Yeah I agree. The thought of taking college algebra makes me want to stab my eye out. I just wish I got GPA credit for taking the calculus AP exam.

Yeah I agree. The thought of taking college algebra makes me want to stab my eye out. I just wish I got GPA credit for taking the calculus AP exam.

I know the feeling. I started college with 37 credits, and sometimes I wish I had gone ahead and taken those intro Bio and Chem classes to help my GPA out. But, if you do well in micro, immunology, biochem, cell bio, or other classes like that, it will help your GPA just as much and look even better.

We can't really answer this question without knowing how bad the GPAs are. I've seen people on here ask that with a 3.4, and others asking that about a 2.5. And they get different answers....
My guess is it will end being probably around a 2.7-2.9...so yeah bad bad.

My guess is it will end being probably around a 2.7-2.9...so yeah bad bad.
We'll probably higher than a 2.7. I know most schools have a 2.75 cutoff. That would be my science gpa. My overall would be more like a 3.1.

Hey everyone! I've been a long-time SDN lurker... VMCAS is opening up soon, and I'm pretty nervous and decided to ask for feedback here. I feel like everyone else has wayyyy more hours than I do :dead: but there really isn't much I can do for this cycle other than the hours I'm working on now.

My family relocated a lot, so I couldn't stay at just one riding facility and worked at the ones I could.

Cumulative GPA: 3.98 at a prestigious university (Not sure if admissions cares much about college rigor, but I noted it anyway)
Science GPA: 4.00
GRE: 90% verbal, 78% quantitative, 80% writing
Hopefully getting into **A&M, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or NC State.

Vet Experience
Veterinary hospital (small, exotic, and wildlife) - 1,030
Shadowing (small animal) - 30
Large animal - 3 + counting (just started)
Necropsy internship - 200

Animal Experience
Lab animal (bird) care - 110
Senior animal pet care - 62+
Two humane societies - total 38
Horse farm - 80
Horse riding facility #1 & - 90
Horse riding facility #2 - 100
Horse riding facility #3 (again) - 30 + counting (working on it)

Research Experience
~120 (I think). It just wasn't my interest.

Non-Vet Employment
Smithsonian ecology research assistant
Tutor for several subjects

Awards/Scholarships
Phi Beta Kappa
Dean's list every semester
Merit-based scholarship
Alpha Lambda Delta honors fraternity
All A's every year in high school (probably doesn't count anymore though)

Extracurriculars
Pre-Vet Club (president and secretary)
Biology club
Equestrian club, English horseback riding
Violin and piano

Hey everyone! I've been a long-time SDN lurker... VMCAS is opening up soon, and I'm pretty nervous and decided to ask for feedback here. I feel like everyone else has wayyyy more hours than I do :dead: but there really isn't much I can do for this cycle other than the hours I'm working on now.

My family relocated a lot, so I couldn't stay at just one riding facility and worked at the ones I could.

Cumulative GPA: 3.98 at a prestigious university (Not sure if admissions cares much about college rigor, but I noted it anyway)
Science GPA: 4.00
GRE: 90% verbal, 78% quantitative, 80% writing
Hopefully getting into **A&M, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or NC State.

Vet Experience
Veterinary hospital (small, exotic, and wildlife) - 1,030
Shadowing (small animal) - 30
Large animal - 3 + counting (just started)
Necropsy internship - 200

Animal Experience
Lab animal (bird) care - 110
Senior animal pet care - 62+
Two humane societies - total 38
Horse farm - 80
Horse riding facility #1 & - 90
Horse riding facility #2 - 100
Horse riding facility #3 (again) - 30 + counting (working on it)

Research Experience
~120 (I think). It just wasn't my interest.

Non-Vet Employment
Smithsonian ecology research assistant
Tutor for several subjects

Awards/Scholarships
Phi Beta Kappa
Dean's list every semester
Merit-based scholarship
Alpha Lambda Delta honors fraternity
All A's every year in high school (probably doesn't count anymore though)

Extracurriculars
Pre-Vet Club (president and secretary)
Biology club
Equestrian club, English horseback riding
Violin and piano
Uh. Your hours are fine. Keep working on the LA hours to get that diversity, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Not a guarantee of admission of course but you've got a great shot with these stats. Just make sure you've got a strong personal statement and glowing recommendations.

Reactions: 2 users
Uh. Your hours are fine. Keep working on the LA hours to get that diversity, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Not a guarantee of admission of course but you've got a great shot with these stats. Just make sure you've got a strong personal statement and glowing recommendations.

Thank you, WildZoo. A&M was saying that they wanted more of X, Y, and Z, so I was feeling pretty unsure of myself. I'll definitely try to expand the large animals experience; it's a new clinic with small client list, but I'll do what I can!

Also, does anyone know if having pending prerequisites at the time of application is a negative on your application? A&M said you get points taken off your application score if you do, and I've got a physics class that will be incomplete at the time of A&M's submission.

Thank you, WildZoo. A&M was saying that they wanted more of X, Y, and Z, so I was feeling pretty unsure of myself. I'll definitely try to expand the large animals experience; it's a new clinic with small client list, but I'll do what I can!

Also, does anyone know if having pending prerequisites at the time of application is a negative on your application? A&M said you get points taken off your application score if you do, and I've got a physics class that will be incomplete at the time of A&M's submission.
I agree with WZ, get as much large animal experience as you can before your application is submitted! Just curious, are you IS for A&M?

Pre-reqs depend on the school. I personally applied with a poop ton (the actual amount) of pre-reqs left and did fine, but I also contacted those schools and made sure what their policy for it was. I want to say that you should be fine with just one class since the rest of your application looks good (so even if you get points off it shouldn't make a big dent), but obviously I can't say for sure.

I mean it's not necessarily counted against you, but you can't earn points for a good grade in there (for those that work off a point system) if its not completed yet. But each school varies in how they would evaluate it, so it may be seen as more of a negative thing at some schools, while having 0 effect at others.

You are a great applicant, but you are also applying to two of the most selective schools for OOS with NC-state and Texas A&M. Just a warning that it can be difficult, for people that did everything right, to get into those (with that said, you have pretty much done everything right).

I agree with WZ, get as much large animal experience as you can before your application is submitted! Just curious, are you IS for A&M?

Pre-reqs depend on the school. I personally applied with a poop ton (the actual amount) of pre-reqs left and did fine, but I also contacted those schools and made sure what their policy for it was. I want to say that you should be fine with just one class since the rest of your application looks good (so even if you get points off it shouldn't make a big dent), but obviously I can't say for sure.
Yes! A&M is my IS and I have been dreaming about going there since I started undergrad. I visited the area and love the College Station charm. :joyful:

I feel like adcoms would see through that. Probably better off trying to boost GPA with more advanced classes...plus spending all that time and money seems like it would suck majorly.

I feel like adcoms would see through that. Probably better off trying to boost GPA with more advanced classes...plus spending all that time and money seems like it would suck majorly.
You're probably right... Oh well. I'll just stick to the current course I'm on. Thank you!

Quick question: to what extent do you think a high GPA can balance out a low quant. GRE score? Specifically for Davis and Tufts

Quick question: to what extent do you think a high GPA can balance out a low quant. GRE score? Specifically for Davis and Tufts

Definitely retake for a better quant score. I know it sucks to have to do that, but given that UC Davis is both your in-state and pretty much the best vet school on the planet, you should definitely do everything in your power to secure an acceptance there. That should be the only area you need to strengthen over the summer, since the rest of your app looks very strong.

Howdy--Aggie here! Unless things have changed, you shouldn't get points taken off, but you won't get the extra points either. You get 4 (or 6?) points for having completed all your pre-reqs by the time you submit your application.

Also, A&M loooves diversity, so I agree that you should keep chugging away at getting large animal experience. Your grades and GRE scores should almost definitely net you an interview. If you have any A&M-specific questions, feel free to PM me! I'm about to be a 3VM and I'm still enjoying school a lot! :)

This is a repost of my stats with some significant changes!

Female, 23, NY state resident, first time applying
A.S. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics from SUNY Orange County Community College
B.S. in Animal Science at Cornell University, expected May 2017

GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
science GPA: 3.2
Last 45 GPA: not sure yet
*These numbers are low-end estimates

GRE : Q/V 150/150
Some special circumstances: these scores are with little to no studying. I have started meeting with a private tutor once weekly, and will be meeting with him twice weekly once this semester is over. Doing this until I take the exam again in early August, and I will also have 50% extra time on the exam as an ADD accommodation (I didn't have this the first time).

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal hospital #1: 4000 hours over 4 years
Small animal hospital #2: 2000 hours over 2 years
Large animal ambulatory service: 300 hours, still working here
Wildlife clinic: 50 hours, still working here as well

Animal Experience:
Adoption center volunteer at a PetSmart (cats only): 100 hours
Horseback riding lessons: 800 hours over 4 years
My own pet sitting business (small/large/exotic): 1000 hours over 7 years
Volunteer animal caretaker at local nature center (wildlife/exotics): 100 hours
Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Open House volunteer, Responsible Cat Ownership booth, 2 years in a row, 20 hours total

Research:
Cornell Baker Institute for Animal Health (genetics), 400 hours, received academic credit
Laboratory technician (paid) in Cornell animal science department (reproductive bio), 1000 hours (the amount I will have when I apply - currently working here)

ECs:
President of Biology Club at SUNY Orange for 1 academic year
Member of Cornell Pre-vet club
Mentor for Cornell Pre-Veterinary Peer Mentoring Program
Cornell Tradition Fellow (recognition for commitment to volunteer & paid work while in college full time)

Employment:
Peer Advisor in SUNY Orange office of academic advising, 320 hours
Coordinator of Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students, summer 2015, 600 hours

Non-animal volunteer:
Cornell Expand Your Horizons (EYH) conference (promotes STEM careers to young girls in MS/HS): 10 hours
Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) lab experience (also promotes STEM for kids in MS/HS): 8 hours

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
PI of current research lab
Biochemistry professor (tentative)
(also tentative, not sure if appropriate - opinions? I can elaborate if needed) My former high school chemistry teacher/college chemistry tutor/close friend who can attest to my academic ability despite the difficulties I've experienced over the years (hence GPA)

Last edited:
I am wondering if anyone might be open to sharing their GPA that they applied to Edinburgh with? From the University of Guelph, I will have a 3.90 (85%) for my last two semesters but only a 3.00 overall (75%). I am also writing the GRE early this summer before I start my applications in July.

I have great references lined up and extensive experience, I just went through some things in my first and second year of university and kind of lost my way a bit in the grades department. I had my sights set on OVC but I am being realistic in the sense that its just so hard to get in there these days. My second choice is Royal Dick but I am not sure I have a chance because they look at my overall GPA and not just my last two semesters like OVC.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

This is a repost of my stats with some significant changes!

Female, 23, NY state resident, first time applying
A.S. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics from SUNY Orange County Community College
B.S. in Animal Science at Cornell University, expected May 2017

GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
science GPA: 3.2
Last 45 GPA: not sure yet
*These numbers are low-end estimates

GRE : Q/V 150/150
Some special circumstances: these scores are with little to no studying. I have started meeting with a private tutor once weekly, and will be meeting with him twice weekly once this semester is over. Doing this until I take the exam again in early August, and I will also have 50% extra time on the exam as an ADD accommodation (I didn't have this the first time).

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal hospital #1: 4000 hours over 4 years
Small animal hospital #2: 2000 hours over 2 years
Large animal ambulatory service: 300 hours, still working here
Wildlife clinic: 50 hours, still working here as well

Animal Experience:
Adoption center volunteer at a PetSmart (cats only): 100 hours
Horseback riding lessons: 800 hours over 4 years
My own pet sitting business (small/large/exotic): 1000 hours over 7 years
Volunteer animal caretaker at local nature center (wildlife/exotics): 100 hours
Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Open House volunteer, Responsible Cat Ownership booth, 2 years in a row, 20 hours total

Research:
Cornell Baker Institute for Animal Health (genetics), 400 hours, received academic credit
Laboratory technician (paid) in Cornell animal science department (reproductive bio), 1000 hours (the amount I will have when I apply - currently working here)

ECs:
President of Biology Club at SUNY Orange for 1 academic year
Member of Cornell Pre-vet club
Mentor for Cornell Pre-Veterinary Peer Mentoring Program
Cornell Tradition Fellow (recognition for commitment to volunteer & paid work while in college full time)

Employment:
Peer Advisor in SUNY Orange office of academic advising, 320 hours
Coordinator of Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students, summer 2015, 600 hours

Non-animal volunteer:
Cornell Expand Your Horizons (EYH) conference (promotes STEM careers to young girls in MS/HS): 10 hours
Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) lab experience (also promotes STEM for kids in MS/HS): 8 hours

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
PI of current research lab
Biochemistry professor (tentative)
(also tentative, not sure if appropriate - opinions? I can elaborate if needed) My former high school chemistry teacher/college chemistry tutor/close friend who can attest to my academic ability despite the difficulties I've experienced over the years (hence GPA)

Where are you planning on applying? Your GRE and GPA are on the low side, but if you can get your GRE up I think that would help! Consider schools that put more weight on experience rather than grades. Your experiences are killer! Jealous!:) Also I don't know if your chem tutor is going to hold much weight. Vet schools may question why you couldn't get a professor to do it. PhDs hold a lot of weight. So do DVMs, MDs, etc. A high school chem teacher just won't turn any heads. That's just my opinion though! Are there any profs who would write one for sure?

Where are you planning on applying? Your GRE and GPA are on the low side, but if you can get your GRE up I think that would help! Consider schools that put more weight on experience rather than grades. Your experiences are killer! Jealous!:) Also I don't know if your chem tutor is going to hold much weight. Vet schools may question why you couldn't get a professor to do it. PhDs hold a lot of weight. So do DVMs, MDs, etc. A high school chem teacher just won't turn any heads. That's just my opinion though! Are there any profs who would write one for sure?
I'm going to try applying this cycle. I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out which schools are more experience than GPA oriented. Any suggestions? I'm also hoping my GRE will improve after a few months of private tutoring!

My chem tutor would be in addition to a professor, so no worries there. He is just the only one that can really explain the issues I've overcome over the years, so that's why I thought it might be a good thing to have.

Thanks for your feedback!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.