This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try applying this cycle. I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out which schools are more experience than GPA oriented. Any suggestions? I'm also hoping my GRE will improve after a few months of private tutoring!

My chem tutor would be in addition to a professor, so no worries there. He is just the only one that can really explain the issues I've overcome over the years, so that's why I thought it might be a good thing to have.

Thanks for your feedback!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

In my experience schools that don't list a minimum GPA requirement for applications tend to be a little more experience oriented. When will you know your last 45 GPA? That may help you figure out some schools to apply to as well.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience schools that don't list a minimum GPA requirement for applications tend to be a little more experience oriented. When will you know your last 45 GPA? That may help you figure out some schools to apply to as well.
Cornell doesn't list a GPA requirement, but I'm sure you know how they are :p. Maybe they're just an exception. They're also my IS, and I have a lot of ties to the community and experience here (I'm a Cornell undergrad), so I guess you never completely know with them.

I'll have my final last 45 calculation by the end of this summer, once my summer classes end. I don't think it'll be more than a 3.3, though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I will be a senior this fall and will graduate with a B.S. in animal Science.
1. GPA

Overall I have a 2.919

2. Experience

I have about 7.5 years of vet experience as a veterinary assistant. (Small and large animal)

3. GRE

Have not taken yet

My questions are do I have a chance to get in if I apply this fall for next fall. I know my GPA is on the lower end. I am taking summer classes as well as next fall and spring. I graduate next spring. I anticipate having a 3.0 when I graduate.

I am trying to decide if I will be able to be a candidate to apply this fall or even the following fall. Or if I need to try and get a second degree to help me get in. I really want to do whatever I can to be able to get in and am just looking for some insight on what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. GPA

Overall I have a 2.919

2. Experience

I have about 7.5 years of vet experience as a veterinary assistant. (Small and large animal)

3. GRE

Have not taken yet

My questions are do I have a chance to get in if I apply this fall for next fall. I know my GPA is on the lower end. I am taking summer classes as well as next fall and spring. I graduate next spring. I anticipate having a 3.0 when I graduate.

I am trying to decide if I will be able to be a candidate to apply this fall or even the following fall. Or if I need to try and get a second degree to help me get in. I really want to do whatever I can to be able to get in and am just looking for some insight on what to do.

I would apply to the Caribbean schools this cycle to see if you get in.

1. GPA

Overall I have a 2.919

2. Experience

3. GRE

Have not taken yet

More information would help with an opinion here. What is your science/pre-requisite GPA? Last 3 semester GPA? Some schools will weigh those more heavily than your cumulative which could work in your favor depending on what they are.

I assume you have a quite a few hours of veterinary experience racked over 7.5 years and that's great but do you have anything else? Animal experience, extracurriculars, research, volunteer work, or other employment?

And just out of curiosity, are you looking at any schools in particular?

Last edited:
not sure if there is a better place to ask this question, but:

So far I have 4 LOR lined up.

1. large animal vet that i've been shadowing for 500+ hours (probably around 700 once apps close) - I think this will be a pretty strong letter
2. advisor / professor for cell & molecular bio class that I did very well in.
3. PI of research lab where I worked around 700 hours. He has a DVM/PHD.
4. CEO of company I work for (I'm a non traditional student and have been working at this company fulltime for about 5 years as a software developer).

My question is, since I only really have one letter from a vet (the DVM/PHD technically might count as a vet but he works as a PI in a research lab and not as a vet), is it worth asking another vet that I've been shadowing for a letter even though I don't think it will be that great of a letter?

The reason I don't think it will be that great of a letter, isn't because of my performance, but just because I've worked a lot less with her (maybe 60 hours total so far, probably around 150-200 when application closes) and its in a small animal clinic where the vet techs are doing most of the work that I normally do when I'm out with the large animal vet. I'm mostly shadowing, asking questions and helping restrain animals, but not a ton else. I'm sure she would agree to write me a letter, I just dont know if it will be beneficial in any way (or could it actually be detrimental to have a not that strong letter be sent in?).

What do people think?

1. large animal vet that i've been shadowing for 500+ hours (probably around 700 once apps close) - I think this will be a pretty strong letter
4. CEO of company I work for (I'm a non traditional student and have been working at this company fulltime for about 5 years as a software developer).

My question is, since I only really have one letter from a vet (the DVM/PHD technically might count as a vet but he works as a PI in a research lab and not as a vet), is it worth asking another vet that I've been shadowing for a letter even though I don't think it will be that great of a letter?

The reason I don't think it will be that great of a letter, isn't because of my performance, but just because I've worked a lot less with her (maybe 60 hours total so far, probably around 150-200 when application closes) and its in a small animal clinic where the vet techs are doing most of the work that I normally do when I'm out with the large animal vet. I'm mostly shadowing, asking questions and helping restrain animals, but not a ton else. I'm sure she would agree to write me a letter, I just dont know if it will be beneficial in any way (or could it actually be detrimental to have a not that strong letter be sent in?).

What do people think?

4 strong LOR is more than enough. LORs won't make or break your application. They just give the review board a sense of you as a person. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It seems like you have great letters already lined up.

What do people think?
4 strong letters is wayyyy better than 5 with a weak one thrown in there. Most schools only require 3 LORs so you should be fine. When it comes to LORs quality is way more important than quantity :).

Reactions: 1 user

What do people think?
I also think you will likely be fine, but you could also sit down with the vet you've been shadowing and explain your situation and ask if she feels she could write you a strong LOR. Let her know you are unsure because you haven't worked with her for very long, and you do have a strong letter from the DVM/PhD, so it's not like you are super dependent on another letter from her. Maybe she will agree that she doesn't know you that well and doesn't feel she could write the best LOR, or maybe she will surprise you and say she'd love to. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask, especially if she knows there is no pressure.

Howdy--Aggie here! Unless things have changed, you shouldn't get points taken off, but you won't get the extra points either. You get 4 (or 6?) points for having completed all your pre-reqs by the time you submit your application.

Also, A&M loooves diversity, so I agree that you should keep chugging away at getting large animal experience. Your grades and GRE scores should almost definitely net you an interview. If you have any A&M-specific questions, feel free to PM me! I'm about to be a 3VM and I'm still enjoying school a lot! :)
Would you happen to know if it's an all-or-nothing deal? For instance, would I get more points if I had 1 course pending versus 2 courses? Or do I just not get any points at all, since I will have at least one class pending? I am struggling to get a nutrition class done before I submit.

Also, when's the best time to submit TMDSAS? I heard the earlier the better, though not sure about TAMU's vet school...

4 strong LOR is more than enough. LORs won't make or break your application. They just give the review board a sense of you as a person. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It seems like you have great letters already lined up.
not entirely true. A really bad LOR may break your application. The AdComs have to think "why would this person ask for this recommendation" and "why did the writer feel the need to write this."

not entirely true. A really bad LOR may break your application. The AdComs have to think "why would this person ask for this recommendation" and "why did the writer feel the need to write this."

Sorry, you're right. I was under the assumption that no one actually asks for letters from people that may write a bad LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
22 y/o female first-time applicant, Florida resident

Applying to: UF and NCSU (which is my first choice and dream school)

Education: AA from University of Central Florida the same semester that I graduated high school (dual enrollment, yay!); BS Biology with Honors from UCF May 2016, and a BS Psychology with Honors from UCF May 2016 - both were Cum Laude, but I have no idea if that's designated on the degree or transcript or if it actually matters at all

Cum GPA: 3.84 according to UCF, but when using one of the VMCAS GPA calculator spreadsheets it came out to 3.69
Last 45: 3.69
Science: 3.61
Pre-reqs: 3.87
GRE: 161Q/163V/5.0A

Vet hours:
400 small animal hospital - one LOR from the vet
200+ wildlife rehab clinic - one LOR from the vet; I'll be working here throughout the summer and will have more hours by the time I submit my app
225 wildlife/exotic/small animal/large animal/equine summer program where we did various rotations in a vet school hospital
20 wildlife at a different clinic
30 wildlife working specifically with an ophthalmologist

Animal hours:
900+ wildlife rehab - one LOR from my supervisor, who is the director and a licensed rehabber; I'll be working here this summer and will have several hundred more hours (500+) when I submit my app
500 hours wildlife rehab working only with raptors - one LOR from my supervisor, who is a CVT
100 hours zoo animal doing husbandry and educational shows
100 hours small animal at a shelter
80 hours zoo and aquatics working backstage at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Research hours:
50 hours studying the amount of pet-directed speech when people are presented with animals they have no prior connection to
100 hours identifying bacteria strains present in beer post-distillation and determining the best way to eradicate them
100 hours studying the effects of cultural influence on certain prejudiced views like sexism

Employment experience:
500 hours as a math and chemistry tutor for student athletes

I thought my stats were pretty good for a while until I read the Successful Applicants thread for the c/o 2020, haha. I'm worried about not having a chance as an OOS applicant for NCSU, not having enough large animal hours for UF, and in general not having enough variety. I'm obviously going for wildlife, and thought I'd be okay with my 225 hours in all different fields at the vet school but now I wonder if that's not enough. Maybe adcoms will hesitate about my wildlife decision since I haven't spent enough time in other fields? Although I feel like that program gave me a really good view into other fields and I still know I'm set on wildlife, which I can touch on in my PS. I guess I just want to know if you guys think I have a good shot? Should I try to shadow a large animal or equine vet this summer? The thing is, I'll be working about 60 hours a week, at least 5 days a week and often more, and I honestly don't want to give up any days off I actually get.

22 y/o female first-time applicant, Florida resident

Applying to: UF and NCSU (which is my first choice and dream school)

Education: AA from University of Central Florida the same semester that I graduated high school (dual enrollment, yay!); BS Biology with Honors from UCF May 2016, and a BS Psychology with Honors from UCF May 2016 - both were Cum Laude, but I have no idea if that's designated on the degree or transcript or if it actually matters at all

Cum GPA: 3.84 according to UCF, but when using one of the VMCAS GPA calculator spreadsheets it came out to 3.69
Last 45: 3.69
Science: 3.61
Pre-reqs: 3.87
GRE: 161Q/163V/5.0A

Vet hours:
400 small animal hospital - one LOR from the vet
200+ wildlife rehab clinic - one LOR from the vet; I'll be working here throughout the summer and will have more hours by the time I submit my app
225 wildlife/exotic/small animal/large animal/equine summer program where we did various rotations in a vet school hospital
20 wildlife at a different clinic
30 wildlife working specifically with an ophthalmologist

Animal hours:
900+ wildlife rehab - one LOR from my supervisor, who is the director and a licensed rehabber; I'll be working here this summer and will have several hundred more hours (500+) when I submit my app
500 hours wildlife rehab working only with raptors - one LOR from my supervisor, who is a CVT
100 hours zoo animal doing husbandry and educational shows
100 hours small animal at a shelter
80 hours zoo and aquatics working backstage at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Research hours:
50 hours studying the amount of pet-directed speech when people are presented with animals they have no prior connection to
100 hours identifying bacteria strains present in beer post-distillation and determining the best way to eradicate them
100 hours studying the effects of cultural influence on certain prejudiced views like sexism

Employment experience:
500 hours as a math and chemistry tutor for student athletes

I thought my stats were pretty good for a while until I read the Successful Applicants thread for the c/o 2020, haha. I'm worried about not having a chance as an OOS applicant for NCSU, not having enough large animal hours for UF, and in general not having enough variety. I'm obviously going for wildlife, and thought I'd be okay with my 225 hours in all different fields at the vet school but now I wonder if that's not enough. Maybe adcoms will hesitate about my wildlife decision since I haven't spent enough time in other fields? Although I feel like that program gave me a really good view into other fields and I still know I'm set on wildlife, which I can touch on in my PS. I guess I just want to know if you guys think I have a good shot? Should I try to shadow a large animal or equine vet this summer? The thing is, I'll be working about 60 hours a week, at least 5 days a week and often more, and I honestly don't want to give up any days off I actually get.

I do not believe cum Laude is denoted on your transcripts like it is your diploma. Your GPA's would be considered competitive so that will help you with NCSU since they are a difficult school to get into OOS and they do not conduct interviews. Your GRE scores are above average which is good! While you have a good amount of experience, I also see your experiences are very heavily weighed on zoo and wildlife and some small animal. Most vet schools ideally like you to experience the breadth and depth of veterinary practices before you enter vet school. However, it also could help by making you stand out because you do have a lot of experience with raptors and wildlife. It is good that you have research experience as I believe NCSU likes to see that. What are your extra-curricular activities and leadership involvement like?? I see that you have math tutor which is definitely a leadership-type role.

Hi, guys. What chances do you think I have getting to vet school?
25 years old, female, Puerto Rico

Major: Foreign languages ( I majored for two years in biology, I had a 3.31 GPA with 2 W's, I changed majors and graduated from Languages)
Minor: Photojournalism
Cum GPA: 3.41
Req GPA: 3.44 - 3.63

I worked for a year as a freelance and went again to college to finish the pre-req courses.

Last 45 GPA: 3.73 ( I only needed 45hrs to finish the pre-req)

GRE: 146V/143Q (i know is a horrible score but i have taken it twice already and i got the same score twice)

Vet experience:
- 800 hrs small animal
- 100 hrs equine

Animal experience:
- 20 hrs equine
- 100 hrs aquatic (manatees)
- 10 hrs sea turtle nest patrol
- 320 hrs internship with manatees and turtles

Research:
- Gathering population data of and ilegal snake that is in Puerto Rico
- Writing a case report of fetal horse mummification

As undergraduate I was in Golden Key honor society, in French honor society, and now im part of a pre-vet club.

What things you guys think i should work on? Im thinking of applying to UF, Kansas, North Carolina, Tufts, Cornell, Tennessee, Georgia and Louisiana

Major: Foreign languages ( I majored for two years in biology, I had a 3.31 GPA with 2 W's, I changed majors and graduated from Languages)

I worked for a year as a freelance and went again to college to finish the pre-req courses.

GRE: 146V/143Q (i know is a horrible score but i have taken it twice already and i got the same score twice)

Vet experience:
- 800 hrs small animal
- 100 hrs equine

Animal experience:
- 20 hrs equine

Research:

As undergraduate I was in Golden Key honor society, in French honor society, and now im part of a pre-vet club.

What things you guys think i should work on? Im thinking of applying to UF, Kansas, North Carolina, Tufts, Cornell, Tennessee, Georgia and Louisiana

The fact that you are a "non-traditional" student will help your application stand out since veterinary schools are looking for diversity. Your cumGPA is around average as well as your reqGPA if you were in the US. Your last 45 GPA shows a definite upward trend which is a good thing. You may want to try to bring this up a little if possible or retake some classes. As you already mentioned, your GRE scores are a little below average. What was your writing score? I took the GRE 3 times and in between my second and third attempt, I attended a review course and additional practice materials and scored well on the third attempt. You may want to consider taking it one more time since your GPA is around average. Your veterinary experiences looks pretty good. Is there any way you can get more LA experience? Also, your animal experience is very heavily aquatic. Do you have any animal experience for SA? Veterinary schools like to see variety in these categories so that you are more well-rounded and you have a decent idea about the different veterinary practices. Your research experience is a plus to your application. What are your extra-curriculars like in regard to leadership roles?

Overall, I would suggest retaking the GRE one more time and doing well in your remaining classes (if any). Some of the schools you are applying to are really competitive OOS let alone out of US. I know it is late in the game, but try to get some different animal experience too if possible. If you have been in leadership roles, definitely list them on your application along with your extra-curricular activities.

Last edited:

Vet experience:
- 800 hrs small animal
- 100 hrs equine

Animal experience:
- 20 hrs equine

Research:

I would take another look at the schools you are applying to based on your GPA and the likelihood of getting in as an international/OOS student. I would also advise to take another chance at the GRE and really try to improve your score if those are the schools you are looking for. Your hours are fine, but could be more varied. Make sure you've got stellar letters of recommendation.

I do not believe cum Laude is denoted on your transcripts like it is your diploma. Your GPA's would be considered competitive so that will help you with NCSU since they are a difficult school to get into OOS and they do not conduct interviews. Your GRE scores are above average which is good! While you have a good amount of experience, I also see your experiences are very heavily weighed on zoo and wildlife and some small animal. Most vet schools ideally like you to experience the breadth and depth of veterinary practices before you enter vet school. However, it also could help by making you stand out because you do have a lot of experience with raptors and wildlife. It is good that you have research experience as I believe NCSU likes to see that. What are your extra-curricular activities and leadership involvement like?? I see that you have math tutor which is definitely a leadership-type role.

Thank you for your input! My extra-curriculars include membership in 6 different societies (honors, chemistry, theater, pre-vet, and Greek life), one sort of fun club, and three community service experiences. My leadership experience includes being a tutor, being a Team Leader at the wildlife rehab center I'll continue working at this summer, enrollment in leadership development courses, and volunteering as an AVID instructor - which I'm not sure counts because it was a group of fifth graders, not necessarily peers.

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian student looking to apply to the University of Sydney for 2017 entry. I intend to apply to the Ontario Veterinary College (Guelph) also, and have been working towards meeting their standards and pre-reqs.

My cumulative GPA from my completed degree is 77% (3.3 I think)
My Sydney science GPA is 82% (3.8)
I have over 5 years of small animal clinical experience with some equine (not riding but large animal hospital)

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to talk Sydney application, please feel free to message me!

Thank you for your input! My extra-curriculars include membership in 6 different societies (honors, chemistry, theater, pre-vet, and Greek life), one sort of fun club, and three community service experiences. My leadership experience includes being a tutor, being a Team Leader at the wildlife rehab center I'll continue working at this summer, enrollment in leadership development courses, and volunteering as an AVID instructor - which I'm not sure counts because it was a group of fifth graders, not necessarily peers.

No problem. You appear to have good involvement in clubs, societies, etc. Veterinary schools like to see involvement in those and students participating in community service. Your leadership experience will definitely help your application as schools look for leadership qualities in an applicant.

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian student looking to apply to the University of Sydney for 2017 entry. I intend to apply to the Ontario Veterinary College (Guelph) also, and have been working towards meeting their standards and pre-reqs.

My cumulative GPA from my completed degree is 77% (3.3 I think)
My Sydney science GPA is 82% (3.8)
I have over 5 years of small animal clinical experience with some equine (not riding but large animal hospital)

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to talk Sydney application, please feel free to message me!

I cannot speak for veterinary schools outside the US. I can, however, speak from a US school standpoint. I'm sure there are other members on here that can help you out better for the schools you are applying to. If your GPA calculations are correct, then you have a slightly below average cum GPA for US schools. Your science GPA is great for US schools. I take it you have way over 500 hours veterinary experience which is good. Hopefully you have a good amount of animal experience as well. I have no idea what tests they require.

Hi everyone! I haven't posted on the pre-vet forum in awhile but thought I'd post here now that I know I'm applying this year to veterinary school!

I'm 23 years old, female, first time applicant from New York!

Still deciding which schools to apply to but will definitely be applying to Tufts University and Cornell University. Am also going to take Statistics and Public Speaking this coming fall.

Graduated college last May!
Major: Biology/Neuroscience
Cummulative GPA: 3.848
Science GPA: 3.833
Last 45 GPA: 3.906

I've been doing some GRE studying but it hasn't been great. I love studying and taking tests but I've never been good with standardized testing like the SAT and ACT. I've been practicing and am scoring in the 155 range for Verbal and Quantitative. I'm going to aim for taking the GRE mid June.

Veterinary Experience:
  • Spay and Neuter Clinic Tech Assistant Intern: 100 Hours
  • Animal Assistant at Specialty Hospital (Small Animal): 1,270 Hours
    • Worked as an assistant in the Neurology Department, also was partly trained in surgery.
    • Transferred to ICU/ER, mostly working ICU, going to work on ER training so that I can be ER one full day (I've helped out a ton in ER from when I was in Neuro and already know a lot but need to learn more from the other assistants and technicians).
    • Have also helped out in Dermatology.
    • I have learned so much working here it's been such an amazing experience!
  • Assistant at Small Animal GP Practice: 12 hours so far - I go in once a week.
    • It's a per diem job and the veterinarian who owns the practice is just giving me an opportunity to shadow and learn more about GP.
    • The day I work one of the veterinarians sees exotics so I've seen a few exotic cases.
  • Random Small Animal GP Practices: 14 Hours
  • Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine: Contacted the hospital manager and she agreed to let me come in for 2 full weeks to shadow in June so that will be coming up soon! Should be about 60 to 80 Hours.
  • Still looking for Equine experience - contacted a couple of places and they told me to come back in the summer so that is what I plan to do!
  • I also applied for a zoo technician's internship but I'm not sure I'll get it since it would be a 3 hour commute and I don't think they're comfortable with that which I understand.
Animal Experience:
  • Fish Husbandry: Hundreds of Hours
    • Lab Assistant for a Neuroscience research lab that worked with spinal cord development in zebrafish.
  • Neurosurgery Research: 60 Hours
  • Cheetah Conservation Center in South Africa: 80 Hours
  • Socializing Cats at an Animal Shelter: 15 Hours - Still volunteering here.
Research Experience:
I've been in several research labs but really didn't like neuroscience/neurosurgery research and also didn't like immunology research. I'm glad that I can at least say that I tried but I'm frustrated that I wasn't able to find a lab that I enjoyed and could do research in--it's even more frustrating that I was expelled from the honors program at my college because of it even though I met all the other requirements for the program. I don't know why I couldn't do independent research without a lab component.
Anywho... I have about 100 hours from it.

I also helped with entering data for a environmental study about populations of cottontail rabbits. I have about 20-30 hours from that. I did it to see if I wanted to attempt environmental research and realized that I did not.

Honors and Awards:
  • Phi Beta Kappa
  • Dean's List Every Semester
  • Academic Achievement Award
  • Summa Cum Laude

Student Activities:
Alpha Chi Sigma
Tribeta

Letters:
  • Neuroscience Advisor and Professor for Several Classes
  • Anatomy and Physiology Professor--Absolutely loved her class!
  • Would like to ask one of the emergency doctors at the specialty practice (she works per diem)--I really enjoyed helping her out in ER and she helped me get the per diem job.
  • Was also thinking of asking my supervisor since she knows my work ethic and entrusted me with training new assistants.
  • Also depending I may ask one of the doctors at the exotics practice if it goes well.

Summary: I decided I wanted to go to Veterinary school in my last year of college and then I found myself in somewhat of a slump after college because I didn't have much guidance in how to go about things. I was very fortunate in that I was able to get a job in a specialty hospital that hired assistants with little experience. My experience isn't very varied but I'm still working on it!

Please let me know what you think!

Hi everyone! I haven't posted on the pre-vet forum in awhile but thought I'd post here now that I know I'm applying this year to veterinary school!

I'm 23 years old, female, first time applicant from New York!

Still deciding which schools to apply to but will definitely be applying to Tufts University and Cornell University. Am also going to take Statistics and Public Speaking this coming fall.

Graduated college last May!
Major: Biology/Neuroscience
Cummulative GPA: 3.848
Science GPA: 3.833
Last 45 GPA: 3.906

I've been doing some GRE studying but it hasn't been great. I love studying and taking tests but I've never been good with standardized testing like the SAT and ACT. I've been practicing and am scoring in the 155 range for Verbal and Quantitative. I'm going to aim for taking the GRE mid June.

Veterinary Experience:
  • Spay and Neuter Clinic Tech Assistant Intern: 100 Hours
  • Animal Assistant at Specialty Hospital (Small Animal): 1,270 Hours
    • Worked as an assistant in the Neurology Department, also was partly trained in surgery.
    • Transferred to ICU/ER, mostly working ICU, going to work on ER training so that I can be ER one full day (I've helped out a ton in ER from when I was in Neuro and already know a lot but need to learn more from the other assistants and technicians).
    • Have also helped out in Dermatology.
    • I have learned so much working here it's been such an amazing experience!
  • Assistant at Small Animal GP Practice: 12 hours so far - I go in once a week.
    • It's a per diem job and the veterinarian who owns the practice is just giving me an opportunity to shadow and learn more about GP.
    • The day I work one of the veterinarians sees exotics so I've seen a few exotic cases.
  • Random Small Animal GP Practices: 14 Hours
  • Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine: Contacted the hospital manager and she agreed to let me come in for 2 full weeks to shadow in June so that will be coming up soon! Should be about 60 to 80 Hours.
  • Still looking for Equine experience - contacted a couple of places and they told me to come back in the summer so that is what I plan to do!
  • I also applied for a zoo technician's internship but I'm not sure I'll get it since it would be a 3 hour commute and I don't think they're comfortable with that which I understand.
Animal Experience:
  • Fish Husbandry: Hundreds of Hours
    • Lab Assistant for a Neuroscience research lab that worked with spinal cord development in zebrafish.
  • Neurosurgery Research: 60 Hours
  • Cheetah Conservation Center in South Africa: 80 Hours
  • Socializing Cats at an Animal Shelter: 15 Hours - Still volunteering here.
Research Experience:
I've been in several research labs but really didn't like neuroscience/neurosurgery research and also didn't like immunology research. I'm glad that I can at least say that I tried but I'm frustrated that I wasn't able to find a lab that I enjoyed and could do research in--it's even more frustrating that I was expelled from the honors program at my college because of it even though I met all the other requirements for the program. I don't know why I couldn't do independent research without a lab component.
Anywho... I have about 100 hours from it.

I also helped with entering data for a environmental study about populations of cottontail rabbits. I have about 20-30 hours from that. I did it to see if I wanted to attempt environmental research and realized that I did not.

Honors and Awards:
  • Phi Beta Kappa
  • Dean's List Every Semester
  • Academic Achievement Award
  • Summa Cum Laude

Student Activities:
Alpha Chi Sigma
Tribeta

Letters:
  • Neuroscience Advisor and Professor for Several Classes
  • Anatomy and Physiology Professor--Absolutely loved her class!
  • Would like to ask one of the emergency doctors at the specialty practice (she works per diem)--I really enjoyed helping her out in ER and she helped me get the per diem job.
  • Was also thinking of asking my supervisor since she knows my work ethic and entrusted me with training new assistants.
  • Also depending I may ask one of the doctors at the exotics practice if it goes well.

Summary: I decided I wanted to go to Veterinary school in my last year of college and then I found myself in somewhat of a slump after college because I didn't have much guidance in how to go about things. I was very fortunate in that I was able to get a job in a specialty hospital that hired assistants with little experience. My experience isn't very varied but I'm still working on it!

Please let me know what you think!

You should have no problem with your GPA's. Try to get a high score on the GRE (155 is okay). Try to find some LA hours as your veterinary experience is heavily weighted SA. Your unique animal experience will help you stand out. You have good club and activity involvement. Make sure that whomever you decide to ask for LOR, that they know you well and can write a unique letter for you. Overall, a good application. Just try to diversify your vet hours and do well on the GRE.

You should have no problem with your GPA's. Try to get a high score on the GRE (155 is okay). Try to find some LA hours as your veterinary experience is heavily weighted SA. Your unique animal experience will help you stand out. You have good club and activity involvement. Make sure that whomever you decide to ask for LOR, that they know you well and can write a unique letter for you. Overall, a good application. Just try to diversify your vet hours and do well on the GRE.
Congrats on getting into OSU!! I love seeing already accepted/admitted students hanging around to help us hopefuls out =)

I'm going to try Magoosh--have you heard of it? I think it looks helpful since everything is online and the test itself is taken online anyway. It's expensive but nothing near where those Kaplan courses cost!

How do you go about getting LA hours? I tried going to go a couple places but they didn't seem very receptive and there aren't too many around where I live to begin with. I have a friend who works in a barn so I may ask her if I could help volunteer at the place she works this summer! But in terms of actual veterinary experience I'm having a lot of trouble figuring that out.

Congrats on getting into OSU!! I love seeing already accepted/admitted students hanging around to help us hopefuls out =)

I'm going to try Magoosh--have you heard of it? I think it looks helpful since everything is online and the test itself is taken online anyway. It's expensive but nothing near where those Kaplan courses cost!

How do you go about getting LA hours? I tried going to go a couple places but they didn't seem very receptive and there aren't too many around where I live to begin with. I have a friend who works in a barn so I may ask her if I could help volunteer at the place she works this summer! But in terms of actual veterinary experience I'm having a lot of trouble figuring that out.

I used Magoosh and did well on my GREs. The videos are amazing. They really go over the key concepts that the quant section seek to test. I crammed the math videos in one week after work and got a perfect score. Its only 99 for 6 months.

Reactions: 1 users

I heard that Magoosh is very good. I have not personally used it, but others have with great results. As for the LA experience, did you show up in person to hand them a resume at the clinics? Maybe check up on them if you have not heard from them in a while. Working in the barn would also help with animal experience and would be a good idea too.

Hi all just want to see what my chances are/ if I need to retake the GRE to guarantee a spot

I'm 21 year old female and an am incoming senior at the University of Florida
Psychology Major with over 3.97 GPA; 3.95 science GPA, 3.97 last 45 hours GPA
GRE: 156 verbal (71%) ; 159 math (79%)

So far I have 2200 veterinary hours from the following:
Cardiology Department Technician at University of Florida's Small Animal Hospital (present) 750 hours

Avian & Exotic Clinic of Palm City Veterinary Technician (may 2015- present during breaks) 200

Animal Health Clinic Technician Assistant (May-Aug 2014) 300 hours

Equine Volunteer - 43 hours

Progressive Care Ward Technician at University of Florida (Jan 2015- Jan 2016) 65 hours

Haile Plantation Animal Clinic Technician - 270 hours

University of Florida's Small Animal Hospital Volunteer with Orthopedic & Cardiology Departments - 100 hours

University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine Glycogen Storage Disorder Research Lab - 520 hours

Animal Hours: 955

Teaching Assistant Positions:
General Chemistry - 1 semester
Abnormal Psychology - 2 semesters

Extracurriculars:

Pre vet club social directer- 1 year ; member 4 years
gator grown program & photography assistant director
volleyball intramural
Pi Beta Kappa Honor Society

any input and advice would be helpful!

Hi all just want to see what my chances are/ if I need to retake the GRE to guarantee a spot

I'm 21 year old female and an am incoming senior at the University of Florida
Psychology Major with over 3.97 GPA; 3.95 science GPA, 3.97 last 45 hours GPA
GRE: 156 verbal (71%) ; 159 math (79%)

So far I have 2200 veterinary hours from the following:
Cardiology Department Technician at University of Florida's Small Animal Hospital (present) 750 hours

Avian & Exotic Clinic of Palm City Veterinary Technician (may 2015- present during breaks) 200

Animal Health Clinic Technician Assistant (May-Aug 2014) 300 hours

Equine Volunteer - 43 hours

Progressive Care Ward Technician at University of Florida (Jan 2015- Jan 2016) 65 hours

Haile Plantation Animal Clinic Technician - 270 hours

University of Florida's Small Animal Hospital Volunteer with Orthopedic & Cardiology Departments - 100 hours

University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine Glycogen Storage Disorder Research Lab - 520 hours

Animal Hours: 955

Teaching Assistant Positions:
General Chemistry - 1 semester
Abnormal Psychology - 2 semesters

Extracurriculars:

Pre vet club social directer- 1 year ; member 4 years
gator grown program & photography assistant director
volleyball intramural
Pi Beta Kappa Honor Society

any input and advice would be helpful!

Which schools are you applying to? Nobody can guarantee you a spot here, but I would recommend retaking the GRE, most schools will take the highest sections from each test and lump them together to create your best possible score. My GRE had similar numbers and I was told by admissions advisors from the schools I'm applying to that I should retake it. A competitive GRE is >75% in each section (ideally).

EDIT: Also, a good chunk of consideration is put into you as a person, so make sure you write an awesome PS / essay answer.

Which schools are you applying to? Nobody can guarantee you a spot here, but I would recommend retaking the GRE, most schools will take the highest sections from each test and lump them together to create your best possible score. My GRE had similar numbers and I was told by admissions advisors from the schools I'm applying to that I should retake it. A competitive GRE is >75% in each section (ideally).

EDIT: Also, a good chunk of consideration is put into you as a person, so make sure you write an awesome PS / essay answer.
Not all, and I would say not even most schools will take your highest score for each section of the GRE. Many just take the test where you scored the highest overall. It's best to check with the schools you are applying to and see how they handle the GRE. Some schools don't weigh it as heavily as GPA and experiences.

Hey guys I've posted here before but I would like some more input on areas I need to improve on. So I know my GPA is the number one thing I need to focus on improving (cGPA is 2.85:oops:). Last 45 is about 3.3-3.4, and sGPA is about 3.2. I received mostly B's/B+'s on prereqs and 1 C in general chem my freshman year that I am planning on retaking this summer. Basically I struggled the first 2 years of college w/ depression/anxiety but I will also admit that I was immature and lacked the proper study skills. But I later received A's and high B's in upper level science classes such as orgo, physics, immunology, pathology, etc. I will continue to take upper level science class this fall and in the spring 2017. I have yet to take the GREs but so far I am only doing average on the practice exams.

I recently graduated from college in December and I am now working full time as a lab animal tech at NIH dealing with mice, rats, monkeys, and ferrets. So far I have about ~500hrs which I would think is considered vet experience because I perform all the prescribed treatments by the facility veterinarians. Soon I will be assisting them in necropsies. I have about 200hrs experience in a vet clinic setting (ongoing), 50 hrs w/ cows, 100hrs internship at an equine medical center, ~200hrs research w/ wild small mammals, ~300hrs avian research, 10 hrs wildlife rehab, 20 hrs volunteering at a horse rescue farm, and lots of petsitting hours. I am currently contacting food animal vets and public health veterinarians for shadowing opportunities.

Ideally, I'd like to apply this year but I don't feel 100% confident with my application. I know that many of you suggest applying to schools that do not look at cGPA at all but they are all so expensive compared to my instate (VMRCVM). I could go to grad school since I am interested in getting an MPH with a concentration in something like zoonotic and infectious diseases. But going to that route requires more time and money and I need to be employed because I am supporting myself. Realistically, can I even apply this year or even next year with my stats? Or is my best and only chance the Caribbean schools? I am interested in SGU but I'm not sure if I can handle the island life for 3 years.

Any input is appreciated :)

Hey guys I've posted here before but I would like some more input on areas I need to improve on. So I know my GPA is the number one thing I need to focus on improving (cGPA is 2.85:oops:). Last 45 is about 3.3-3.4, and sGPA is about 3.2. I received mostly B's/B+'s on prereqs and 1 C in general chem my freshman year that I am planning on retaking this summer. Basically I struggled the first 2 years of college w/ depression/anxiety but I will also admit that I was immature and lacked the proper study skills. But I later received A's and high B's in upper level science classes such as orgo, physics, immunology, pathology, etc. I will continue to take upper level science class this fall and in the spring 2017. I have yet to take the GREs but so far I am only doing average on the practice exams.

I recently graduated from college in December and I am now working full time as a lab animal tech at NIH dealing with mice, rats, monkeys, and ferrets. So far I have about ~500hrs which I would think is considered vet experience because I perform all the prescribed treatments by the facility veterinarians. Soon I will be assisting them in necropsies. I have about 200hrs experience in a vet clinic setting (ongoing), 50 hrs w/ cows, 100hrs internship at an equine medical center, ~200hrs research w/ wild small mammals, ~300hrs avian research, 10 hrs wildlife rehab, 20 hrs volunteering at a horse rescue farm, and lots of petsitting hours. I am currently contacting food animal vets and public health veterinarians for shadowing opportunities.

Ideally, I'd like to apply this year but I don't feel 100% confident with my application. I know that many of you suggest applying to schools that do not look at cGPA at all but they are all so expensive compared to my instate (VMRCVM). I could go to grad school since I am interested in getting an MPH with a concentration in something like zoonotic and infectious diseases. But going to that route requires more time and money and I need to be employed because I am supporting myself. Realistically, can I even apply this year or even next year with my stats? Or is my best and only chance the Caribbean schools? I am interested in SGU but I'm not sure if I can handle the island life for 3 years.

Any input is appreciated :)
I wouldn't say you have enough experience to 'counteract' the lower academic stats at this point. I would communicate with your IS since that's definitely the best option financially. You are just above their bare minimum for cGPA. It definitely doesn't mean you have no chance, but they state a 3.5 is what they consider a competitive cGPA. That cGPA needs to come up somehow, though. If you really want to give it a go this summer, heavily look into the admissions processes of other schools.

Michigan doesn't even look at cGPA, but they're expensive OOS. Illinois looks at all academic stats, but once you're granted an interview, they only use non-academic factors in their final decision (they're about the middle of the line for OOS tuition). If you don't want to deal with island life, don't apply just for the sake of thinking you'll get in. That's one of the reasons why their attrition rate is lower than the US schools.

I heard that Magoosh is very good. I have not personally used it, but others have with great results. As for the LA experience, did you show up in person to hand them a resume at the clinics? Maybe check up on them if you have not heard from them in a while. Working in the barn would also help with animal experience and would be a good idea too.
I'm so glad my friend told me of Magoosh! The Kaplan book just isn't cutting it for me lol. Also don't want to pay thousands for a course.

Just have to ask but I know my GPA is competitive but it looks like that my experiences aren't.

I have to work full time because I'm paying off bills and also saving up money for school and it's been difficult for me to find internships and also look for research opportunities. Will this count against me that I don't really have valuable research experience? I also don't really have much leadership experience - what is a good way of going about that out of a college campus? I'm training new assistants at my job and also took on a working interview yesterday so I would count that as leadership experience.

I'm so glad my friend told me of Magoosh! The Kaplan book just isn't cutting it for me lol. Also don't want to pay thousands for a course.

Just have to ask but I know my GPA is competitive but it looks like that my experiences aren't.

I have to work full time because I'm paying off bills and also saving up money for school and it's been difficult for me to find internships and also look for research opportunities. Will this count against me that I don't really have valuable research experience? I also don't really have much leadership experience - what is a good way of going about that out of a college campus? I'm training new assistants at my job and also took on a working interview yesterday so I would count that as leadership experience.

Not many people have research experience, I wouldn't worry about it. All they're looking for in the experience section is that you know what you're getting into, and that you can handle it. If you don't have the hours that someone else has, that's fine. You're you and they're them. You have excellent grades, so look at places that favor that. Some people have it all and they still don't get accepted because they can't represent themselves or don't appear confident enough at the interviews which makes the interviewers doubt they'd handle the stress well. My point is, don't stress to much about being perfect. You've done exceptionally well so far. Do you best and remember to take time for you. You want to show the world that you are going to be an awesome vet, and it's their loss if they don't get to have all the awesome publicity for having had you as a student when you make awesome discoveries or become a world renown practitioner! (Yes I realize I've gotten completely carried away but I had my last final today and I'm feeling preachy).

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to help!

28 years old, female, first time applicant (non-trad)
Illinois resident
Graduated in 2010 from a top 20 university
Biochemistry major

Overall GPA: 3.65
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.68 (I think) according to VMCAS, but it varies a lot by school. Might be as low as 3.3 at some.
Last 45 credits: 4.0

GRE: 165 verbal/159 quantitative/4.5 writing (percentiles are 95/75/80)
*I need to retake the GRE because my score expired. I took it with almost no studying before and am studying now, so I'm hoping math and maybe writing will go up.

Applying to: Illinois (IS), Washington State, NCSU, Wisconsin, probably Ohio State, maybe Missouri and possibly Iowa

Veterinary experience: ~800 hours
Equine volunteer trip: 150 hours
Small animal volunteer trip: 150 hours
Shelter clinic volunteer: 350 hours
Small animal and exotics GP shadow/volunteer: 150 hours

Animal experience: ~700 hours
Petting zoo (food animal) volunteer: 60 hrs
Shelter volunteer: 75 hrs small, 20 hrs exotic
Wildlife rescue: 150 hrs
Wildlife clinic volunteer: 300 hrs
Bird of prey internship: 80 hrs
Herpetology class: 25 hrs

Research experience: ~500 hours
Genetics lab (part-time job as undergrad): 250 hrs
Bio Independent study: 250 hrs (or more?) Worked with other independent study students to present research in a competition and won several awards as a team.

Employment:
2 years teaching in a rural area with Teach For America.
3 years working in education (not teaching)
1 semester TA for bio class

Extracurriculars/volunteering:
When teaching, I advised a STEM club and helped form and advise a gay-straight alliance. Not sure if this should go under extracurriculars, volunteering, or employment (I wasn't paid extra for it).

In college:
Vice-president of gay straight alliance for 1 year, and was a member for several more
Leadership position in non-profit group for refugees (tutored and was in charge of other tutors)
Student senate for 1 year
Assorted others: volunteering at a homeless shelter, bio journal club member, engineers without borders

Awards
Won some awards in a research competition (along with the rest of the team)

Other info:
I got very sick in college and had to take a medical leave for 1 semester so I have some W's and not-so-great grades. This will be mentioned in my explanation section.

Because I am a total idiot, I also once thought I dropped a course but actually did not, resulting in an F. Without this F my overall GPA would be a 3.72.

Thoughts/Questions:
I know I need more and more varied vet hours. There are no LA vets near me and I work full time, but I'm trying. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll probably take a week or two of vacation days to try to get LA experience on world vets or something similar. I'm waiting to hear back from some lab vets, but I've been warned it's unlikely I'll be able to get security clearance to shadow.

I'm choosing where to apply largely based on cost, but I would like to know if there are any schools on my list I shouldn't bother applying to or if there are any others where I'd have a particularly good chance. I'd also like to know if there are any schools that really do or do not like non-trads (I've tried searching and haven't found much). Any other advice or input is also welcome. Thank you!

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to help!

28 years old, female, first time applicant (non-trad)
Illinois resident
Graduated in 2010 from a top 20 university
Biochemistry major

Overall GPA: 3.65
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.68 (I think) according to VMCAS, but it varies a lot by school. Might be as low as 3.3 at some.

GRE: 165 verbal/159 quantitative/4.5 writing (percentiles are 95/75/80)
*I need to retake the GRE because my score expired. I took it with almost no studying before and am studying now, so I'm hoping math and maybe writing will go up.

Applying to: Illinois (IS), Washington State, NCSU, Wisconsin, probably Ohio State, maybe Missouri and possibly Iowa

Equine volunteer trip: 150 hours
Small animal volunteer trip: 150 hours
Shelter clinic volunteer: 350 hours
Small animal and exotics GP shadow/volunteer: 150 hours

Animal experience: ~700 hours
Petting zoo (food animal) volunteer: 60 hrs
Shelter volunteer: 75 hrs small, 20 hrs exotic
Wildlife rescue: 150 hrs
Wildlife clinic volunteer: 300 hrs
Bird of prey internship: 80 hrs
Herpetology class: 25 hrs

Research experience: ~500 hours
Genetics lab (part-time job as undergrad): 250 hrs
Bio Independent study: 250 hrs (or more?) Worked with other independent study students to present research in a competition and won several awards as a team.

Employment:
2 years teaching in a rural area with Teach For America.
3 years working in education (not teaching)
1 semester TA for bio class

When teaching, I advised a STEM club and helped form and advise a gay-straight alliance. Not sure if this should go under extracurriculars, volunteering, or employment (I wasn't paid extra for it).

In college:
Vice-president of gay straight alliance for 1 year, and was a member for several more
Leadership position in non-profit group for refugees (tutored and was in charge of other tutors)
Student senate for 1 year
Assorted others: volunteering at a homeless shelter, bio journal club member, engineers without borders

Awards
Won some awards in a research competition (along with the rest of the team)

Other info:
I got very sick in college and had to take a medical leave for 1 semester so I have some W's and not-so-great grades. This will be mentioned in my explanation section.

Because I am a total idiot, I also once thought I dropped a course but actually did not, resulting in an F. Without this F my overall GPA would be a 3.72.

Thoughts/Questions:
I know I need more and more varied vet hours. There are no LA vets near me and I work full time, but I'm trying. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll probably take a week or two of vacation days to try to get LA experience on world vets or something similar. I'm waiting to hear back from some lab vets, but I've been warned it's unlikely I'll be able to get security clearance to shadow.

I'm choosing where to apply largely based on cost, but I would like to know if there are any schools on my list I shouldn't bother applying to or if there are any others where I'd have a particularly good chance. I'd also like to know if there are any schools that really do or do not like non-trads (I've tried searching and haven't found much). Any other advice or input is also welcome. Thank you!

I think all the schools you have chosen are fantastic. Picking a school is a fairly personal decision and although there are established school rankings, the experiences are what you make it. School ranking doesn't determine what kind of doctor you will become. Only you can decide that. So pick based on what feels right to you.

As far as non-traditional applicants, they have just as every chance of getting in as anyone else. Things like "4.0 GPA in undergrad" is actually not common in vet school. I can only name 2 classmates who boast those stats. Having a non-traditional pathway gives you a myriad of experiences and lessons that you can bring into the field. Use it to your advantage.

I think all the schools you have chosen are fantastic. Picking a school is a fairly personal decision and although there are established school rankings, the experiences are what you make it. School ranking doesn't determine what kind of doctor you will become. Only you can decide that. So pick based on what feels right to you.

As far as non-traditional applicants, they have just as every chance of getting in as anyone else. Things like "4.0 GPA in undergrad" is actually not common in vet school. I can only name 2 classmates who boast those stats. Having a non-traditional pathway gives you a myriad of experiences and lessons that you can bring into the field. Use it to your advantage.

Thanks! I'm not worried about school rankings, so I'm asking more about where I might have a good chance of getting in.

I will definitely try to use my non-trad status to my advantage. I'm planning on writing my PS about how being a vet and being a teacher are similar, and I'm hoping that will help me stand out.

Thanks! I'm not worried about school rankings, so I'm asking more about where I might have a good chance of getting in.

I will definitely try to use my non-trad status to my advantage. I'm planning on writing my PS about how being a vet and being a teacher are similar, and I'm hoping that will help me stand out.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. Advice that was passed along to me was, always, always, always apply to your in-state school. The numbers work in your favor and in-state tuition can help with costs.

The rest is a crap chute. I know strong applicants who didn't get interviews at their "safety school" (a funny concept when talking about vet school) while others were shocked that they were accepted anywhere. One of my best friends had perfect scores (4.0 GPA, 95%ile in all GRE subjects, >7 years vet experience) and she got rejected from her dream school her first time applying.

Clear as mud? Sorry for the wishy washy answer :/ Hopefully this helps (somewhat...)

The rest is a crap chute. I know strong applicants who didn't get interviews at their "safety school" (a funny concept when talking about vet school) while others were shocked that they were accepted anywhere. One of my best friends had perfect scores (4.0 GPA, 95%ile in all GRE subjects, >7 years vet experience) and she got rejected from her dream school her first time applying.

Jeez, did she find out why she was rejected? O_O

Illinois resident
21 years old

Overall GPA:
Science GPA: around 3.7 (I think)

GRE: still need to take

Applying to: Illinois (IS), Wisconsin, Ohio State, Missouri, Iowa, maybe Penn

Small animal emergency/ surgery: 350 and counting (hopefully around 550 when I apply)
Equine: 30 hours
Cows: 5 hours
Small animal/feral cat: 150 hours and counting (hopefully around 25o when I apply)
Shelter clinic volunteer: 20 hours
Small animal shadowing: 22

Animal experience: ~2000 hours
Horseback riding: 1000+ hrs
Equine volunteer: 25 hrs
Cat rescue: 50 hrs
Dog walker/pet sitter: 100 hrs

Research experience: none
I have applied for a job...no word yet on if I have it or not

Employment:
Camp leader for a charity that works with low income children: 3 Summers
Summer internship with an accountant

Program leader for a charity for children: about 1,000 hours
Tutor
Member of my schools equestrian team for 3 years

Awards
Deans list for 4 semesters
Selected by both my organic chemistry professor and psychology professor to be part of a club that tutors future classes

Thoughts/Questions:

I have outstanding prepreqs, is it worth it to try and take english over the summer (I will be working 2 jobs)? I have a 4.0 for the last 45 and I don't want to mess that up if it's not nessasary. Also if anyone has advice for illinois let me know! By far my number 1 :) I am nervous about my experiences, looking at all these stats made me question if I have enough. I will be working/volunteering 30-40 hours a week all summer.

She's one of the smartest people I have ever met but she's rough around the edges. She doesn't interview well.

I keep forgetting that interviews exist. I'm a Cornell undergrad, so I'm used to hearing about Cornell admissions and they don't interview. I really need to get used to the fact that I will be interviewed for most schools, lol.

Illinois resident
21 years old

Overall GPA:
Science GPA: around 3.7 (I think)

GRE: still need to take

Applying to: Illinois (IS), Wisconsin, Ohio State, Missouri, Iowa, maybe Penn

Small animal emergency/ surgery: 350 and counting (hopefully around 550 when I apply)
Equine: 30 hours
Cows: 5 hours
Small animal/feral cat: 150 hours and counting (hopefully around 25o when I apply)
Shelter clinic volunteer: 20 hours
Small animal shadowing: 22

Animal experience: ~2000 hours
Horseback riding: 1000+ hrs
Equine volunteer: 25 hrs
Cat rescue: 50 hrs
Dog walker/pet sitter: 100 hrs

Research experience: none
I have applied for a job...no word yet on if I have it or not

Employment:
Camp leader for a charity that works with low income children: 3 Summers
Summer internship with an accountant

Program leader for a charity for children: about 1,000 hours
Tutor
Member of my schools equestrian team for 3 years

Awards
Deans list for 4 semesters
Selected by both my organic chemistry professor and psychology professor to be part of a club that tutors future classes

Thoughts/Questions:

I have outstanding prepreqs, is it worth it to try and take english over the summer (I will be working 2 jobs)? I have a 4.0 for the last 45 and I don't want to mess that up if it's not nessasary. Also if anyone has advice for illinois let me know! By far my number 1 :) I am nervous about my experiences, looking at all these stats made me question if I have enough. I will be working/volunteering 30-40 hours a week all summer.

Overall your application looks strong! You have excellent GPAs! Make sure you do well on your GRE (I found just using the ETS study book and powerprep II software was very helpful for me).

Your large animal experience is lacking, so if you could get some more this summer that would really help your application. It would also be good to get some general practice hours. While small animal surgery and ECC is good, it's not representative of small animal general practice. You haven't listed your area of interest but it should match up with the experiences you have had (i.e. don't say you want to practice production medicine without having worked with a production vet). Overall you do have a good amount of experience but make sure you can talk about what you want to do in vet med and back it up with experience.

Your leadership experiences are also great, those will definitely help as talking points in interviews. There's no need to take english over the summer, you're allowed to have some prerequisites outstanding at the time of application. Just as long as you get it done next year you'll be fine.

As for Illinois, I applied there OOS with a GPA lower than yours and was granted an interview. Due to the cost of travel and the fact I had already been accepted elsewhere I did not attend, so I'm not much help there. Your other schools seem like smart choices as far an finances are concerned (with the exception of Penn). I think you're in really good shape for applying this summer and you would be in excellent shape if you improved you experiences a bit! Hope that helps :)

Overall your application looks strong! You have excellent GPAs! Make sure you do well on your GRE (I found just using the ETS study book and powerprep II software was very helpful for me).

Your large animal experience is lacking, so if you could get some more this summer that would really help your application. It would also be good to get some general practice hours. While small animal surgery and ECC is good, it's not representative of small animal general practice. You haven't listed your area of interest but it should match up with the experiences you have had (i.e. don't say you want to practice production medicine without having worked with a production vet). Overall you do have a good amount of experience but make sure you can talk about what you want to do in vet med and back it up with experience.

Your leadership experiences are also great, those will definitely help as talking points in interviews. There's no need to take english over the summer, you're allowed to have some prerequisites outstanding at the time of application. Just as long as you get it done next year you'll be fine.

As for Illinois, I applied there OOS with a GPA lower than yours and was granted an interview. Due to the cost of travel and the fact I had already been accepted elsewhere I did not attend, so I'm not much help there. Your other schools seem like smart choices as far an finances are concerned (with the exception of Penn). I think you're in really good shape for applying this summer and you would be in excellent shape if you improved you experiences a bit! Hope that helps :)

Thank you so much! I am really interested in equine medicine, I just have to find the time to shadow a couple more equine and other large animal vets.

For anyone who used Magoosh: did anyone do the 3 month study schedule? I signed up for it, but I'm having difficulties deciding between the "Beginners" or the "Advanced". The advanced is for people with 310-320's, and I have a 306. How did you decide?

For anyone who used Magoosh: did anyone do the 3 month study schedule? I signed up for it, but I'm having difficulties deciding between the "Beginners" or the "Advanced". The advanced is for people with 310-320's, and I have a 306. How did you decide?
Beginner = unnecessary info overload. Unless you have pretty solid reading comp/math deficits, I would go with advanced. They'll focus more on strategy and testing technique which gives you more time to do practice problems, and practice problems will be, by far, the best thing you can do. Unfortunately I neglected to fully comprehend that fact until about a week before the exam, but better late than never.

Beginner = unnecessary info overload. Unless you have pretty solid reading comp/math deficits, I would go with advanced. They'll focus more on strategy and testing technique which gives you more time to do practice problems, and practice problems will be, by far, the best thing you can do. Unfortunately I neglected to fully comprehend that fact until about a week before the exam, but better late than never.
Okay! Thank you! That helps! I'd really like to get in the 320's- and I accidentally couldn't study for the last GRE. I think with some review, I'll be able to bring it up (especially since with the quant section, I couldn't remember area of a circle because it's been 5 years since I've taken a basic math class

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am currently beginning to freak out, as I have not done as well/gotten as much done as I would have liked. It's been a rough year :shrug: So I am currently contemplating whether it's worth the money to apply or if I should wait and take a gap year to gain more experience. I don't want to pay to apply if there's no chance I will get in. If it matters, I'm planning on applying to: Penn, NC State, Mizzou, Illinois, and Texas A&M

Female, 22, PA state resident, first time applicant, 2016 application cycle
B.S. in Biology from Eastern University, PA

GPA: 3.587
science GPA: around 3.57
Last 45 GPA: around 3.46

GRE : have not taken yet, will be soon

Veterinary Experience:
2000+ hours as nursing assistant at small animal emergency and specialty hospital

Animal Experience:
60 hours volunteering at horse summer camp
45 hours volunteering at animal shelter
5 years of responsible pet ownership (does this count?)

Research:
320 hours in neurobiological lab working on replicating Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in mice

ECs:
5 years of attendance in choir
2 years worship team leader at church

Employment:
2 years as nursing assistant in emergency SA hospital (listed above)

Non-animal volunteer:
100+ hours volunteering at my church

LoRs:
1 from my advisor/ biology professor
1 from a biology professor
1 from doctor/owner of specialty hospital
1 from professor I conducted research with

I am currently beginning to freak out, as I have not done as well/gotten as much done as I would have liked. It's been a rough year :shrug: So I am currently contemplating whether it's worth the money to apply or if I should wait and take a gap year to gain more experience. I don't want to pay to apply if there's no chance I will get in. If it matters, I'm planning on applying to: Penn, NC State, Mizzou, Illinois, and Texas A&M

Female, 22, PA state resident, first time applicant, 2016 application cycle
B.S. in Biology from Eastern University, PA

GPA: 3.587
science GPA: around 3.57
Last 45 GPA: around 3.46

GRE : have not taken yet, will be soon

Veterinary Experience:
2000+ hours as nursing assistant at small animal emergency and specialty hospital

Animal Experience:
60 hours volunteering at horse summer camp
45 hours volunteering at animal shelter
5 years of responsible pet ownership (does this count?)

Research:
320 hours in neurobiological lab working on replicating Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in mice

ECs:
5 years of attendance in choir
2 years worship team leader at church

Employment:
2 years as nursing assistant in emergency SA hospital (listed above)

Non-animal volunteer:
100+ hours volunteering at my church

LoRs:
1 from my advisor/ biology professor
1 from a biology professor
1 from doctor/owner of specialty hospital
1 from professor I conducted research with

I think that you should definitely try for this cycle. You're stats are right where they should be and you definitely have a lot of veterinary hours. My advice would be to try to get some varied experience in your veterinary hours. A lot of schools want to see that you have shadowed more than one type of specialty. As for you animal hours, you should probably see if there is a way you can get more of these. If not, you may be able to split your hours for veterinary and use some of them for animal as well. As for pet ownership, A&M only lets you use 100 hours. Some schools don't like you to put it at all. I have to caution you about applying to A&M OOS. They only accept about 8-10 students OOS and they have to be stellar. Average GPA of OOS students there last year was like a 3.9ish. A&M is huge on grades. Try really hard to do amazing in your GRE and I think you would be in a good spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.