This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What are my chances?

  • Great!

    Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

    Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

    Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

    Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

    Votes: 68 50.0%

  • Total voters
    136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A bit of positive news -- my biochemistry professor has sent me a note saying that he would be happy to write me a LoR, and that he deeply admired how hard I worked in his class! This makes me super happy because now I have a Cornell professor to speak for my academic potential.

Should I be super happy about it? Does anyone think it will it make much of a difference?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I think it will help a bit! LORs are important and can either backup your accomplishments, or give a bit more insight into you as a person/student that isn't obvious based on your application. Good LORs can bolster an application. However, I don't think it really matters that it's a Cornell professor. Anyone with a PhD will be impressive, and everyone who is applying to vet school will have had someone with a PhD write them an LOR. The content of the letter matters more than the person writing it.
 
First time applying, age 24, male

Associates of applied science (computer science)
Associates of science (pre-medicine) - > IT wasn't for me... switched majors with no regrets at all as I absolutely have fallen in love with the core science classes (even orgo)!
Working towards a bachelor degree in chemistry (anticipated spring of 2018)

Cumm GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45 : 4.0
# of credits: ~130

GRE: coming soon

SA experience: ~2100 as a vet assistant (drawing blood via jugular-cephalic-and saphenous veins, running in house blood work, looking at fecals, administering vaccines/medications, obtaining histories, restraint, etc etc. Do all of this on the daily)
LA experience (food animal): ~200 shadowing (very hands on, pulling calves, administering vaccines/medications, restraint, etc etc)

No volunteer experience, the past 5 years I've been working close to full time as well as going to school full time, even during the summer semester (not just veterinary experience: ranging from grocery store stocker to chemistry lab tech)

Applying instate to MSU but I am not sure where else to apply (suggestions please!!!!!)... Have some interest in food animal but I don't think that's what I'd solely want to do (I enjoy the SA environment a lot and I think I'd enjoy working as a mixed animal vet)

LOR
Genetics Professor
SA DVM - that I work with
SA DVM - that I work with
LA DVM - that I shadow
-------------------------------
I do have a couple of questions that I hope you wonderful people can address:
1. I have yet to take biochemistry (will be taking it this fall, only pre-req I'm missing for MSU), even though I will not have the class completed for the deadline of the application - will it still count if I intend to complete it before the spring of 2017?
2. As far as out of state options go, I'd like a few suggestions based on my "stats". I'm very open minded to moving

Your stats look great. Score well on the GRE and every school school will consider you a strong applicant. As many have said before, cost is one of the most important factors when deciding which school to attend. If money isn't an issue, then OOS will be fine. But remember that the different between IS vs. OOS tuition can be huge. A DVM from an accredited school is a DVM.
 
I think it will help a bit! LORs are important and can either backup your accomplishments, or give a bit more insight into you as a person/student that isn't obvious based on your application. Good LORs can bolster an application. However, I don't think it really matters that it's a Cornell professor. Anyone with a PhD will be impressive, and everyone who is applying to vet school will have had someone with a PhD write them an LOR. The content of the letter matters more than the person writing it.

Of course!! I totally didn't mention Cornell because of who is writing the letter--I'm a transfer student at Cornell, so I haven't had the chance to get to know my professors here as well as my previous school. That's all I meant! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
22, female, 1st time applicant, 1st generation college
Top 20 University: Biological Sciences/ Philosophy
Community College (CC): Associate of Science
Overall GPA: ~3.53, Science GPA: 3.46 :eyebrow:

GRE: taking early August (cuttin' it close), Scoring around a 159V/155Q but I'm working on it T_T

Applying: UIUC (In State), Cornell, UPenn, UCDavis, Mizzou, St. Matthews, Ohio State, and (either Auburn or Tuskegee)

Veterinary Experience: 1000+
Shadowing veterinarians at a large zoo
Shadowing small animal veterinarian
Shadowing SA hospital
Receptionist/ Veterinary Assistant at SA & exotic animal hospital (30 hrs/ wk)

Research Experience: 117
Laboratory Technician Assistant, Pocket Pets/ Mice
Independent Undergraduate Research Project, Aquatic/ Fish
Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, Wildlife Observations

Animal Experience: 1,639
Anderson Tree Farm
CZS Zookeeper Internship
PZ Zookeeper Internship
Seasonal Zookeeper
Horseback Riding in HS
SB Animal Control/ Humane Society:
Pet sitting (exotics), makes up a small but decent chunk

Extracurriculars [I was hella busy in undergrad. I spent massive hours on each of these]
VP Pre-Vet Club
RCLC Literacy Tutor
Swing Dancing Club: Beginner’s Blues Instructor, Competed in Blues Dancing
Urban Latin Dance: Salsa, Bachata, Cumbia Mexicana, Punta Hondurena
Women’s Liturgical Choir: Soprano II
CC Chamber Choir: Soprano I/II
CC Student Ambassador
CC Phi Theta Kappa
Salvation Army Kitchen Volunteer
[Below, I worked a lot of odd jobs to pay for college as I go]
Substitute Secretary
Macy’s Sales Associate
Subway

Awards:
CZS Scholarship Recipient
CC Honors Program
CC Phi Theta Kappa
CC 2013 Student Commencement Speaker
Top 5 Blues Dancing comps
National Merit Scholar

LORS
CEO of the zoo I worked at since I was 16 (knows me by name)
Prevet Advisor (knows of a hardship mentioned in my application)
Veterinarian SA hospital (he's just awesome and we got to know each other well)
(maybe) Microbiology Professor (debating, she doesn't know me that well but I can tell she liked me in class and lab/ did really well in her class)

I'm aiming for some pretty tough schools... I'm still hell bent on applying, but I wanted to know if I stood a chance at other schools. Also, my top 20 GPA sucks (3.3) because of one god awful semester (hardship mentioned on my app). I was mostly a B+/A- student while there. Not sure if this will kill me when applying to Cornell and UPenn... Tbh, I'll be happy if I get accepted into any of the schools I'm applying to. Thank god I love my instate 😍.
 
With this semester's final grades in, I'm hoping for some more feedback -- and possibly some recommendations on where to apply?

Female, 23, NY state resident, first time applying
A.S. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics from SUNY Orange County Community College
B.S. in Animal Science at Cornell University, expected May 2017

cGPA: 3.12
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.2
Last 45 GPA: 3.0


GRE : Q/V 150/150 - Retaking!!
Some special circumstances: these scores are with little to no studying. I have started meeting with a private tutor once weekly, and will be meeting with him twice weekly once this semester is over. Doing this until I take the exam again in early August, and I will also have 50% extra time on the exam as an ADD accommodation (I didn't have this the first time).

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal hospital #1: 4000 hours over 4 years
Small animal hospital #2: 2000 hours over 2 years
Large animal ambulatory service: 300 hours, still working here
Wildlife clinic: 50 hours, still working here as well

Animal Experience:
Adoption center volunteer at a PetSmart (cats only): 100 hours
Horseback riding lessons: 800 hours over 4 years
My own pet sitting business (small/large/exotic): 1000 hours over 7 years
Volunteer animal caretaker at local nature center (wildlife/exotics): 100 hours
Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Open House volunteer, Responsible Cat Ownership booth, 2 years in a row, 20 hours total

Research:
Cornell Baker Institute for Animal Health (genetics), 400 hours, received academic credit
Laboratory technician (paid) in Cornell animal science department (reproductive bio), 1000 hours (the amount I will have when I apply - currently working here)

ECs:
President of Biology Club at SUNY Orange for 1 academic year
Member of Cornell Pre-vet club
Mentor for Cornell Pre-Veterinary Peer Mentoring Program
Cornell Tradition Fellow (recognition for commitment to volunteer & paid work while in college full time)

Employment:
Peer Advisor in SUNY Orange office of academic advising, 320 hours
Coordinator of Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students, summer 2015, 600 hours

Non-animal volunteer:
Cornell Expand Your Horizons (EYH) conference (promotes STEM careers to young girls in MS/HS): 10 hours
Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) lab experience (also promotes STEM for kids in MS/HS): 8 hours

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
1 wildlife vet
PI of current research lab
Biochemistry professor (tentative)


I feel like this is completely hopeless at this point with my GPA lol, and no significant trend of improvement or anything. I've been in about the same GPA range the entire time. I really have no idea what to do to increase my chances. I only have a year left of undergrad, and I obviously can't guarantee that I'll do so much better then either. Schools outside of the US aren't an option for me for various personal/financial reasons. I haven't failed any classes, nor have I gotten many Cs. Just lots of Bs.



During my undergrad, I tried the philosophy of “if it isn’t working, then change it.”

Based on your post, I would say something is not working. Thus, something needs to be changed. I feel that lilylilac hit the nail on the head with you spreading yourself too thin. Since you have to work in the lab throughout the week, I would suggest you need to reserve your weekends for studying/course work and stop volunteering/shadowing/assisting on the weekends (and any other extracurriculars). And since you have significant veterinary/animal hours I would think you could afford to do so for this upcoming semester. In addition, when you are studying are you really being productive and actively studying? In undergrad, a lot of my classmates would refer to studying as “reviewing or looking over” their notes. This DOES nothing! If you are not actively doing something with your notes, you are wasting your time. Create a question sheet to quiz yourself, re-draw diagrams, pathways, etc. (then practice from memory), create a summary sheet of the lecture – reiterating the main points. The same after you attend your tutoring sessions. After a tutoring session you should recap what was covered, practice some similar problems and see if you truly understand the concepts. For some reason, the questions always seem easier when the tutor is there and practicing on your own will help show that you really comprehend. And it goes without saying that all technology based distractions need to be put away. Getting interrupted every few minutes really cuts down on productivity.

I know it can be frustrating and discouraging to not have the GPA you want. My goal was a 3.5 and I unfortunately was several hundredths below attaining that goal. It still is a sore spot with me today – even though I graduated in 2013 and gained acceptance to vet school this year. I feel like I “failed” myself. I know I need to let bygones be bygones but…. it’s hard.

Anyways, I hope something I posted helps. Don't give up and keep giving it your all. Wishing you the best for this application cycle.
 
During my undergrad, I tried the philosophy of “if it isn’t working, then change it.”

Based on your post, I would say something is not working. Thus, something needs to be changed. I feel that lilylilac hit the nail on the head with you spreading yourself too thin. Since you have to work in the lab throughout the week, I would suggest you need to reserve your weekends for studying/course work and stop volunteering/shadowing/assisting on the weekends (and any other extracurriculars). And since you have significant veterinary/animal hours I would think you could afford to do so for this upcoming semester. In addition, when you are studying are you really being productive and actively studying? In undergrad, a lot of my classmates would refer to studying as “reviewing or looking over” their notes. This DOES nothing! If you are not actively doing something with your notes, you are wasting your time. Create a question sheet to quiz yourself, re-draw diagrams, pathways, etc. (then practice from memory), create a summary sheet of the lecture – reiterating the main points. The same after you attend your tutoring sessions. After a tutoring session you should recap what was covered, practice some similar problems and see if you truly understand the concepts. For some reason, the questions always seem easier when the tutor is there and practicing on your own will help show that you really comprehend. And it goes without saying that all technology based distractions need to be put away. Getting interrupted every few minutes really cuts down on productivity.

I know it can be frustrating and discouraging to not have the GPA you want. My goal was a 3.5 and I unfortunately was several hundredths below attaining that goal. It still is a sore spot with me today – even though I graduated in 2013 and gained acceptance to vet school this year. I feel like I “failed” myself. I know I need to let bygones be bygones but…. it’s hard.

Anyways, I hope something I posted helps. Don't give up and keep giving it your all. Wishing you the best for this application cycle.

Thanks for the advice. This past semester is actually the first where I've employed some new study habits (my previous study habits were basically non-existent, I'm surprised I've made it this far). I was able to build a really good relationship with my biochemistry professor, he saw how hard I was working and how I was always engaged in the class, and even though my grade wasn't the absolute best, he's going to write me a letter of rec! So, while most of my time in undergrad has definitely not been working, I think I'm headed in the right direction of finally making it work. I've also been utilizing some resources such as the learning center at my school, which helps a lot. I've come to terms with the fact that this cycle may not be successful. Luckily(?), I have one more year of undergrad to try my best and use some of what I've learned to hopefully do better in my classes. I might not get in on the first, maybe not even the second try--but eventually!! Also, I definitely will be cutting down on ECs for next semester. Unfortunately (it's not really UNFORTUNATE per se, just stinks that I don't have the option to not work), I do need my research job to pay living expenses. It's not ALL bad though--next year I will most likely be one of the authors on a published paper (provided we publish it by then, lol), and it's great experience. All of the others, though, I think I will take a break on. Thanks again 🙂
 
21 y/o, male, resident of Ontario, Canada

Degree: BSc Physics

GPA:
Year 1: 3.99
Year 2: 3.91
Year 3: 3.87

Volunteer/Professional Experience:

Wildlife rehab centre (we had a lot of raccoons, skunks, deer, foxes, squirrels, and a few others) - senior volunteer for 2 summers: ~200 hours (although a vet came infrequently and taught/showed us some very interesting things, it was mainly independent animal experience.)

Volunteer at small animal clinic #1 for 4 months: ~100 hours

Working at small animal clinic #2 for 2.5 years: 1000+ hours

Volunteering at my local (human) hospital and assisted in a variety of duties. (4 years)

Did coop at a human medical clinic (worked in urgent care, family practice, and centre for women’s health) during high school. (4 months) —I also returned here and shadowed an urgent care physician for a couple years.

Research:

Helped with a project concerning orders of unconsciousness and medical physics/brain imaging in my first year (this was very minor).

Did a summer research and I was able to develop an algorithm for an antiproton detector as part of a large international collaboration. (4 months)

Now working on a summer research project in astronomy which will continue into my honours thesis regarding coherent emission in interstellar clouds. (1 year)

I will be taking my GRE soon.

Letter of recommendations:

-a vet I worked closely with in clinic #1 and a lot more in clinic #2
-a vet I worked with in clinic #2
-honours thesis supervisor
-wildlife rehab centre coordinator

I have also been a part of school tennis clubs and intramural volleyball during university. I’m not sure if this is worth noting on applications, though. I’ve also been fortunate to receive a few academic/financial/research awards which I think might help my application, and I’ve participated in international research conferences/workshops in the past (in astronomy). Was also involved with sports/clubs/tutoring while in high school, although Im not too sure how important that all is.

So, based on my application, I am just interested in seeing how competitive I am. I believe I am lacking in diversity in veterinary experiences. Would you happen to have any suggestions for this? I also started quite late (first bit of animal experience was after 1st year of university; just 2 years ago) and am still heavily involved in physics-related work. This has been making me contemplate how I should write a letter of intent since I have a lot of interests but veterinary medicine is one I have come to enjoy a lot. I would be interested in any advice you have.
 
Hi everyone! I am currently trying to decide if I should apply this cycle or wait until next year to apply and I would really appreciate any advice you might have! I didn't decide on veterinary medicine until my the end of my sophomore year of college and as a result I have more experience working in human medicine rather than animal medicine, which is one of my worries!

GPA: 3.87
Major: Neuroscience May 2017
GRE: Will be taking it the end of July but have been scoring 150/157/4 (V/Q/A) on practice tests.

Vet Experience: *These hours are what I will probably have by the end of the summer by the time I would be applying
Small animal-330
exotics/wildlife-100
(the small animal hospital I currently work at works closely with the humane society nearby and provides the medical care for the animals they have in the shelter and I was wondering if this would be worth mentioning?)

Animal Experience:
dog shelter-50
dog walking/sitting-150 (should I even include this??)

Research:
None

Non-Animal Employment:
Medical Assistant at a Neurology office-400 **I really don't know if this is a positive or a negative. I have found that this experience has helped me tremendously in my current job at the vet hospital but it could also be seen as a negative because its obviously with humans and not animals. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sales Associate-200
Tutoring-280 (I started as an individual tutor for general chemistry but this past year I was asked to run group tutoring sessions in organic chemistry)
Admissions fellow (basically means a student that interviews prospective students and helps run open houses and accepted student days)

Volunteer work:
nursing homes-250 (I started volunteering at a nursing home in high school and loved it so I found one near my college so I could keep doing it!)
soup kitchen-100
elementary school (teachers aid/helping with the after school program)-75
Emergency room-25

Shadowing (Human Medicine):
Neurologist-60

Extracurriculars:
Pre-health club
Cross Country and track and field ***I am a three season varsity athlete and this has taken up a HUGE amount of time! Morning and afternoon workouts take up about 4 hours a day and I am gone pretty much every Saturday for meets and some of these meets are far away so we are gone for more than one day. All in all its about 30 hours of my week. I am hoping the people looking over my application realize just how much of a time commitment it is.

Honors and Awards:
Deans List every semester
First Team All-District in CoSIDA's Academic All-America
Various running awards such as All-NESCAC, All-New England, All-Academic, NESCAC runner of the week, and ECAC performer of the week.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I know my experience hours are lacking but I am hoping that my crazy summer schedule of cross country training, working at the hospital and GRE studying will show them that I can handle a busy schedule!
 
Hi everyone! I am currently trying to decide if I should apply this cycle or wait until next year to apply and I would really appreciate any advice you might have! I didn't decide on veterinary medicine until my the end of my sophomore year of college and as a result I have more experience working in human medicine rather than animal medicine, which is one of my worries!

GPA: 3.87
Major: Neuroscience May 2017
GRE: Will be taking it the end of July but have been scoring 150/157/4 (V/Q/A) on practice tests.

Vet Experience: *These hours are what I will probably have by the end of the summer by the time I would be applying
Small animal-330
exotics/wildlife-100
(the small animal hospital I currently work at works closely with the humane society nearby and provides the medical care for the animals they have in the shelter and I was wondering if this would be worth mentioning?)

Animal Experience:
dog shelter-50
dog walking/sitting-150 (should I even include this??)

Research:
None

Non-Animal Employment:
Medical Assistant at a Neurology office-400 **I really don't know if this is a positive or a negative. I have found that this experience has helped me tremendously in my current job at the vet hospital but it could also be seen as a negative because its obviously with humans and not animals. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sales Associate-200
Tutoring-280 (I started as an individual tutor for general chemistry but this past year I was asked to run group tutoring sessions in organic chemistry)
Admissions fellow (basically means a student that interviews prospective students and helps run open houses and accepted student days)

Volunteer work:
nursing homes-250 (I started volunteering at a nursing home in high school and loved it so I found one near my college so I could keep doing it!)
soup kitchen-100
elementary school (teachers aid/helping with the after school program)-75
Emergency room-25

Shadowing (Human Medicine):
Neurologist-60

Extracurriculars:
Pre-health club
Cross Country and track and field ***I am a three season varsity athlete and this has taken up a HUGE amount of time! Morning and afternoon workouts take up about 4 hours a day and I am gone pretty much every Saturday for meets and some of these meets are far away so we are gone for more than one day. All in all its about 30 hours of my week. I am hoping the people looking over my application realize just how much of a time commitment it is.

Honors and Awards:
Deans List every semester
First Team All-District in CoSIDA's Academic All-America
Various running awards such as All-NESCAC, All-New England, All-Academic, NESCAC runner of the week, and ECAC performer of the week.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I know my experience hours are lacking but I am hoping that my crazy summer schedule of cross country training, working at the hospital and GRE studying will show them that I can handle a busy schedule!



Some comments:

(the small animal hospital I currently work at works closely with the humane society nearby and provides the medical care for the animals they have in the shelter and I was wondering if this would be worth mentioning?) Yes you should mention this.

Animal Experience:
dog shelter-50
dog walking/sitting-150 (should I even include this??) Yes you should mention this.

Non-Animal Employment:
Medical Assistant at a Neurology office-400 **I really don't know if this is a positive or a negative. Yes, you should mention this.



Some questions:
Are you able to cut down on your track and field? 30 hours a week is a lot, and really does not allow you to use that time towards gaining more vet experience which you really need.

Is the 3.87 gpa you have cumulative, last 45 units, science, or all of the above? This will help everyone know what your gpa's are.

Do you have an in state school? What is it?

I would apply this year if you feel you are ready and have the money. If you can get a couple hundred hours in each area (SA, LA, wildlife and/or exotics, research or a lab would be great), that will look much better.

You should think of applying to UC Davis. If all of your GPA's are a 3.87 or right around there, and you get over 160 on GRE, I think you have a very good chance of getting an interview. If you can knock the MMI out of the park you could definitely get in. They look at 180 hours of experience and after that they don't really look anymore. You could also think of applying to NCSU (a school that wants a high GPA and high GRE scores). Their OOS tuition is also very cheap because you get IS after the first year. Maybe include WSU and CSU as well.
 
Does anyone know what GPAs davis looks at? I remember reading that they are highly quantitative when selecting who gets interviewed. I have a 3.95 on my science/last45/pre-req GPAs but a 3.2 cGPA (i originally went to school for something else and was less motivated in my orig bachelors). I also got a 163 on the Q part of the GRE.

Is it even worth applying there or will my cGPA kill me?
 
actually from their website:

Academic performance is the major factor in selecting applicants for admission. For UC Davis, overall science, last 45 semester units GPAs and Quantitative GRE scores are the best predictors of how successful an applicant will be in completing the veterinary curriculum.

So I guess I would have a shot?
 
Does anyone know what GPAs davis looks at? I remember reading that they are highly quantitative when selecting who gets interviewed. I have a 3.95 on my science/last45/pre-req GPAs but a 3.2 cGPA (i originally went to school for something else and was less motivated in my orig bachelors). I also got a 163 on the Q part of the GRE.

Is it even worth applying there or will my cGPA kill me?

Are you IS or OOS? OOS you have a slim chance with a 3.2. Just being honest. What's the harm in trying though🙂
 
I say that because you're competing with people who have 3.95 cGPAs and extremely high GREs. If you look at OOS people on this site who get in, their stats are basically perfect all around
 
Are you IS or OOS? OOS you have a really really slim chances with a 3.2. Just being honest. What's the harm in trying though🙂

I'm out of state and just kind of written davis off because I know how difficult it is to get in, and the fact that my cGPA is so low, but since my last45/science/GREs are all high and it seems like thats what they look for I was wondering if its worth it at all. I can't tell from their statement if they dont look at cGPA at all or what.
 
I'm out of state and just kind of written davis off because I know how difficult it is to get in, and the fact that my cGPA is so low, but since my last45/science/GREs are all high and it seems like thats what they look for I was wondering if its worth it at all. I can't tell from their statement if they dont look at cGPA at all or what.

I wouldn't write it off! I didn't think I'd get into some of the school's I got into so you never know🙂. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most people who are applying to Davis and are successful have great stats all around (cGPA, last45, science, GREs). So the competition is just really stiff because even if you have good science/last45/GRES, there will be lots of other people with just that as well as a high cGPA. I didn't apply to Davis, but this is what a couple vets told me when I was applying in general/other vet students. But it sounds like in general you're a competitive applicant for vet school, so why not give it a try!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some comments:

(the small animal hospital I currently work at works closely with the humane society nearby and provides the medical care for the animals they have in the shelter and I was wondering if this would be worth mentioning?) Yes you should mention this.

Animal Experience:
dog shelter-50
dog walking/sitting-150 (should I even include this??) Yes you should mention this.

Non-Animal Employment:
Medical Assistant at a Neurology office-400 **I really don't know if this is a positive or a negative. Yes, you should mention this.



Some questions:
Are you able to cut down on your track and field? 30 hours a week is a lot, and really does not allow you to use that time towards gaining more vet experience which you really need.

Is the 3.87 gpa you have cumulative, last 45 units, science, or all of the above? This will help everyone know what your gpa's are.

Do you have an in state school? What is it?

I would apply this year if you feel you are ready and have the money. If you can get a couple hundred hours in each area (SA, LA, wildlife and/or exotics, research or a lab would be great), that will look much better.

You should think of applying to UC Davis. If all of your GPA's are a 3.87 or right around there, and you get over 160 on GRE, I think you have a very good chance of getting an interview. If you can knock the MMI out of the park you could definitely get in. They look at 180 hours of experience and after that they don't really look anymore. You could also think of applying to NCSU (a school that wants a high GPA and high GRE scores). Their OOS tuition is also very cheap because you get IS after the first year. Maybe include WSU and CSU as well.

Thank you so much for the quick response!!

To answer your questions, no there is no way I can cut back on track and field. I have made a commitment to the team and all of the practices and meets are mandatory. Plus I really enjoy competing!

All my GPAs are around 3.87 +/- a hundredth. I have been an A/A- student every semester.

My "in-state" school is Tufts.

I appreciate your suggestions on what schools to apply to! I had written off UC Davis just because its the number one school and they really stress the GRE. I am not the strongest standardized test taker but there is a chance I might be able to get my quantitative over 160. Im more of a math person, not vocabulary.

Thanks again!!
 
I'm out of state and just kind of written davis off because I know how difficult it is to get in, and the fact that my cGPA is so low, but since my last45/science/GREs are all high and it seems like thats what they look for I was wondering if its worth it at all. I can't tell from their statement if they dont look at cGPA at all or what.
Does Davis have admissions counsilors? If so, contact them and ask! No better source for information than the school itself!
 
actually from their website:

Academic performance is the major factor in selecting applicants for admission. For UC Davis, overall science, last 45 semester units GPAs and Quantitative GRE scores are the best predictors of how successful an applicant will be in completing the veterinary curriculum.

So I guess I would have a shot?

Yes you should definitely apply! I've seen the same stats from someone else get in. Not saying this is the same across the board, but if you also have other attributes they like and look for, yes!
 
Thank you so much for the quick response!!

To answer your questions, no there is no way I can cut back on track and field. I have made a commitment to the team and all of the practices and meets are mandatory. Plus I really enjoy competing!

All my GPAs are around 3.87 +/- a hundredth. I have been an A/A- student every semester.

My "in-state" school is Tufts.

I appreciate your suggestions on what schools to apply to! I had written off UC Davis just because its the number one school and they really stress the GRE. I am not the strongest standardized test taker but there is a chance I might be able to get my quantitative over 160. Im more of a math person, not vocabulary.

Thanks again!!


Thank you so much for the quick response!!

To answer your questions, no there is no way I can cut back on track and field. I have made a commitment to the team and all of the practices and meets are mandatory. Plus I really enjoy competing!

All my GPAs are around 3.87 +/- a hundredth. I have been an A/A- student every semester.

My "in-state" school is Tufts.

I appreciate your suggestions on what schools to apply to! I had written off UC Davis just because its the number one school and they really stress the GRE. I am not the strongest standardized test taker but there is a chance I might be able to get my quantitative over 160. Im more of a math person, not vocabulary.

Thanks again!!




So if you cannot cut back, try and get as much DIVERSE experience as you can but at least with hundreds of hours in each. That is your best shot with applying. I hope you apply to Tufts! With your track and field, just use that to your advantage with making you stand out from everyone else, don't use it as a hinderance. That is a good thing to have on your application of course (some schools even really like things like that, like Ohio, which you should apply to). Although Ohio tends to love people with lots of hours in diverse experience, they do love a high gpa. My friend got an interview and only had literally like 300 hours vet experience total? They had a high gpa, and other things on their app Ohio liked obviously, which you will too. They ended up not going, but still. It shows there are great things about someone's application that stand out.

Davis does not even look at the writing portion of the GRE. My friend who goes to Davis did really well (90th percentile) in one section of the GRE (I forget if it was Q or V. I believe it was Q), and not well at all in the other section. That one section they did well in (which I believe is Q) Davis cared about. I forgot which section is is though!! I'm sorry 🙁 If anyone knows for sure which section they care more about, actually I think it's Q they care more about.

Trust me if anyone is bad at standardized test taking, it's me. What has helped a lot of people and myself though is the magoosh GRE vocab app. I have it on my phone, and my friend did too and got in the 160s in V.
 
I'm out of state and just kind of written davis off because I know how difficult it is to get in, and the fact that my cGPA is so low, but since my last45/science/GREs are all high and it seems like thats what they look for I was wondering if its worth it at all. I can't tell from their statement if they dont look at cGPA at all or what.


Yes, apply to Davis, because why not? It's only at most $100-160 for app fee and supp app fee. Which is worth it if you end up getting in. Side note- Just make sure you include every single one of your transcripts! If anyone is a stickler about this, and WILL FIND OUT (happened to someone I know who didn't include one and was rejected right away) it is Davis.

Also, if you apply to Davis, don't just apply there (obviously I think you know that already). Just try not to get your hopes up. I have SO many friends from my school since I'm in CA who wanted to go to Davis and were so crushed when they didn't get in or even an interview.

From what I recall, if you don't have above a 3.7 they won't even look at you. This is what one of my friends told me. However, I am not sure if that is cumGPA or not. You should email someone in admissions at the school to find out. Also, if you do end up getting an interview, make sure to practice your MMI skills every day until that interview. SO many of my friends got interviews to Davis, and only half of them actually got in because the others did not do well with the MMI format.
 
1st time applicant, 25 yrs old, female, OOS everywhere (my state has no contract seats, either🙁)
Applying to: Western, Midwestern, UMN, MSU, VMRCVM, maybe UF
Interests: mixed animal, exotics, emergency medicine

Degree: BS in Biology (2012) - finished my degree in 3 years
Post-Bacc: took additional pre-reqs and retook two classes to bring up GPA

Cm GPA: ~3.0 after this summer
Sci GPA: about the same- not sure which classes to count/where on VMCAS to check
Last 45: ~3.5 (30 credits were taken post-bacc with a 3.7, the other 15 were taken from my last semester of undergrad)

GRE: 159V/161Q/3.5A
-
Vet Exp:
- over 7,000 hours working at 3 different animal hospitals, all of which saw small animals, exotics, birds, reptiles (one of them was very focused on emergencies- I have about 2,000 hours at that one)

Animal Exp:
- over 2,500 hours working with reptiles and amphibians at my local zoo
- ~250 hours taking classes and preparing for competition agility with my dog
- over 1,000 hours working on family farms during the summer (mostly cows, pigs, chickens)
- 100 hours working with goats and sheep
- ~600 hours of horseback riding lessons/tacking horses up/mucking out stalls/etc (I used to come early and leave late for my lessons to hang out at the barn a lot)
- 800 hours of volunteering at local animal shelter and with various rescues


Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
- surfing (12 years)
- French school from 1-8 grade (it was a separate school I went to twice a week to learn how to read/speak/write French- I am fluent and my parents are French immigrants- I also have dual citizenship, but I don't know if they care about something like that)
- published model (just something on the side I have been doing for a few years for fun, not sure if I should include on my app)
- 2 years of Hip-Hop dance lessons

LORs:
- 3 veterinarians I have worked with
- supervisor at zoo
- supervisor at goat farm

Concerns: Obviously my GPA- while I was in undergrad I have a family illness going on that I was focusing my time on. I graduated and years later am taking classes and finally applying. I also am worried about my lack of LA vet experience. I live in a very metropolitan area, and there are no LA vets within an hour+ of where I live (I constantly look for shadowing/work opportunities). Any input is appreciated.
 
1st time applicant, 25 yrs old, female, OOS everywhere (my state has no contract seats, either🙁)
Applying to: Western, Midwestern, UMN, MSU, VMRCVM, maybe UF
Interests: mixed animal, exotics, emergency medicine

Degree: BS in Biology (2012) - finished my degree in 3 years
Post-Bacc: took additional pre-reqs and retook two classes to bring up GPA

Cm GPA: ~3.0 after this summer
Sci GPA: about the same- not sure which classes to count/where on VMCAS to check
Last 45: ~3.5 (30 credits were taken post-bacc with a 3.7, the other 15 were taken from my last semester of undergrad)

GRE: 159V/161Q/3.5A
-
Vet Exp:
- over 7,000 hours working at 3 different animal hospitals, all of which saw small animals, exotics, birds, reptiles (one of them was very focused on emergencies- I have about 2,000 hours at that one)

Animal Exp:
- over 2,500 hours working with reptiles and amphibians at my local zoo
- ~250 hours taking classes and preparing for competition agility with my dog
- over 1,000 hours working on family farms during the summer (mostly cows, pigs, chickens)
- 100 hours working with goats and sheep
- ~600 hours of horseback riding lessons/tacking horses up/mucking out stalls/etc (I used to come early and leave late for my lessons to hang out at the barn a lot)
- 800 hours of volunteering at local animal shelter and with various rescues


Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
- surfing (12 years)
- French school from 1-8 grade (it was a separate school I went to twice a week to learn how to read/speak/write French- I am fluent and my parents are French immigrants- I also have dual citizenship, but I don't know if they care about something like that)
- published model (just something on the side I have been doing for a few years for fun, not sure if I should include on my app)
- 2 years of Hip-Hop dance lessons

LORs:
- 3 veterinarians I have worked with
- supervisor at zoo
- supervisor at goat farm

Concerns: Obviously my GPA- while I was in undergrad I have a family illness going on that I was focusing my time on. I graduated and years later am taking classes and finally applying. I also am worried about my lack of LA vet experience. I live in a very metropolitan area, and there are no LA vets within an hour+ of where I live (I constantly look for shadowing/work opportunities). Any input is appreciated.

Hi there! Is your MSU Michigan, or mine? 🙂

Your CGPA is on the lower side but it seems like your last 45 will make up for it. Also, doing well in a post bacc is always good if you aced a lot of upper levels. IDK what your science GPA is, but it may be worth your time to apply to schools that look at last 45 and science. The only one I know that does that for sure out of your list is MN. so youre probably ahead of me there haha. Otherwise, your GRE and experiences are competitive IMO. I had less and got in somewhere OOS.
 
I just graduated from high school this May and will be starting college in the fall. I have shadowed at a small animal veterinary hospital (totaling 31 hours so far). I also am a volunteer at a horse therapy center (30 hours so far), a volunteer at the animal shelter (10 hours so far), a FrogWatch USA volunteer, and a backyard bird watch volunteer. In high school I took three years of biology, one year of chemistry and a year of physics. I was captain of my volleyball team, in NHS, drama, Physics Olympics, MathFest, and Envirothon (my team made it to state and I personally placed second in the state in my topic which was wildlife). I graduated with honors and number seven in my class as well.
I am just very nervous that I am not getting on top of things early enough. I go into the office once a week for about five hours. I help with restraining, setting up fecal samples, and I have observed two C-sections and helped with the puppies afterward. I also have seen a few other surgeries like a cat getting neutered, and a puppy getting its tail docked. Are these all good experiences I'm sure anything is but they say quality over quantity? I called multiple LA and equine vets but they were busy for the summer so I learned now to call earlier. I plan to shadow multiple specialists (at least 400 hours worth) as well as get equine and LA experience. Am I doing everything at the right pace? How did everyone else manage their time?
I can only find kennel assistant jobs and vet assistant jobs that are two hours from my home. Should I just keep waiting for a job to be available closer or is is even worth it getting these jobs if I am shadowing?
Sorry, I have no one to really help me with any advice on this subject. I ask the vets I shadow but they all graduated a while ago so things were different at that point in time they said. If anyone could tell me how they managed their time or anything I would be eternally grateful to you!!!!!
I just think I need a little assurance. Was anyone else this freaked out when they were just a freshman???? I haven't even scheduled my classes yet, I do that later this month so I think once I do that I will be more relieved because I will know what my school schedule will look like and I can see how much time I will have for the vet's office. Also, I am an Ohio resident ad would love to go to Ohio State so if anyone has any advice particular to that school that would be great.
If this thread was just for people that are applying recently I am sorry. I just really wanted some help with all this crazy stressful stuff. I just want to know if I an on the right track and if my chances are okay (even though I haven't started college yet and therefore do not have anything to share about my grades from that). So thank you so much for any help!
 
I just graduated from high school this May and will be starting college in the fall. I have shadowed at a small animal veterinary hospital (totaling 31 hours so far). I also am a volunteer at a horse therapy center (30 hours so far), a volunteer at the animal shelter (10 hours so far), a FrogWatch USA volunteer, and a backyard bird watch volunteer. In high school I took three years of biology, one year of chemistry and a year of physics. I was captain of my volleyball team, in NHS, drama, Physics Olympics, MathFest, and Envirothon (my team made it to state and I personally placed second in the state in my topic which was wildlife). I graduated with honors and number seven in my class as well.
I am just very nervous that I am not getting on top of things early enough. I go into the office once a week for about five hours. I help with restraining, setting up fecal samples, and I have observed two C-sections and helped with the puppies afterward. I also have seen a few other surgeries like a cat getting neutered, and a puppy getting its tail docked. Are these all good experiences I'm sure anything is but they say quality over quantity? I called multiple LA and equine vets but they were busy for the summer so I learned now to call earlier. I plan to shadow multiple specialists (at least 400 hours worth) as well as get equine and LA experience. Am I doing everything at the right pace? How did everyone else manage their time?
I can only find kennel assistant jobs and vet assistant jobs that are two hours from my home. Should I just keep waiting for a job to be available closer or is is even worth it getting these jobs if I am shadowing?
Sorry, I have no one to really help me with any advice on this subject. I ask the vets I shadow but they all graduated a while ago so things were different at that point in time they said. If anyone could tell me how they managed their time or anything I would be eternally grateful to you!!!!!
I just think I need a little assurance. Was anyone else this freaked out when they were just a freshman???? I haven't even scheduled my classes yet, I do that later this month so I think once I do that I will be more relieved because I will know what my school schedule will look like and I can see how much time I will have for the vet's office. Also, I am an Ohio resident ad would love to go to Ohio State so if anyone has any advice particular to that school that would be great.
If this thread was just for people that are applying recently I am sorry. I just really wanted some help with all this crazy stressful stuff. I just want to know if I an on the right track and if my chances are okay (even though I haven't started college yet and therefore do not have anything to share about my grades from that). So thank you so much for any help!

Take a deep breath!:welcome:

I am about to be a junior in college (starting in the Fall), and you are doing way more than I was doing when I was your age. I didn't start even looking into or veterinary experience until Summer '15, and didn't gain my first veterinary experience until this past Winter. While I don't recommend it, all I'm saying is, you're doing great. I'm fairly new to this forum but I bet everyone will agree that you're doing just fine. The fact that you're planning all of this already is awesome.

As far as the job goes, I think you're lucky to get a paid job in the vet med field before your a licensed veterinary technician/some other sort. It's difficult to come by, you have to find the right vet that will hire you. Many people just have hours from shadowing, volunteering, and interning. Including myself. Look for summer-long internships, or look for places near your school you can shadow just once a week so it won't hurt your study time. Look for internships in the winter that will take your for 4 weeks, and don't be afraid to travel away from home, just make sure you can get housing.

Ohio State - I would look at their website for their specific pre-requisites so you can make sure you take the right classes, and look at their previously admitted admissions statistics to see what kind of students they accept. Here's the C/O 2019 pdf: https://vet.osu.edu/sites/vet.osu.edu/files/legacy/userimages/u42/Class of 2019 profile_0.pdf

That being said, don't be scared off by high GPAs and high hours. Yes it's important, but you have lots of time to worry about that and get that in order.

You are most definitely on the right track, your chances are okay, and it's okay to be a little stressed. Good luck! 🙂
 
@Enzo07 thank you for your help and words of advice! Also thanks for the welcome 🙂 I suppose I'm just a little nervous because this is such a big deal to me!!! I guess not everyone in my family believes in my crazy plans and so it's nice to hear that someone thinks I am doing good so far🙂 Also thank you so much for the link that is very helpful! Thank you for all your helpful little tidbits!
I wish you the best of luck, I am sure that you too are going to be fine and best of luck in your education and process to get into vet school!
 
Hi guys, I am new to this type of forum so bear with me! Like everyone else on this thread I am curious to my chances on getting into vet school. I appreciate any feedback and advice people in similar situations did to get in please!
1st time applicant, 20 yrs old currently
Applying to: MU, KState, OK and IA st. (goal is MU just applying everywhere else to see)
Interests: small and farm animal

Degree: Will recieve a BS in science, pre-vet major at end of 2017
CM GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.5 (not 100% sure depending how vmcas processes what counts)
Last 45: 3.5 (calculated by hand)
GRE: haven't taken yet will be soon (appreciate good score estimates to help me)

Vet experience:
200 hrs at small animal clinic
40 hrs at hog farms
100 hrs at multiple farm animal and small animal clinics combined
(yes I know these are low numbers)

Animal Experience:
Farm hand: over 2000 hours working with and caring for cattle, dogs, chickens, pigs, cats
Omaha Zoo: 10 hrs working with hoofstock training, feeding, sanitizing and enrichment
Planing on volunteering at animal shelter
Dog sitting/walking: 20 hrs

Non animal employment:
Sales associate: 234 hrs

Volunteer: Total about 70 hrs
Stop Hunger Now/Back Snacks/Local dear neighbor day
Parking at the Plaza
Little Indians Basketball Camp
Red Cross Swim Lessons


Extra Curricular:
University Women's Basketball Team: over 2000 hrs
Tri- Beta member (waiting to hear back about becoming an officer of the club)


Additional Comments: I graduated high school with many college credits under my belt which allowed me to enter as a sophomore my first year and am graduating early next year. I really don't want to take a gap year but realize that I may have to due to low experience hours and lower GPA. I have had mix reviews on the basketball, which playing in college started in August and didn't end until April, we practiced and played through every christmas and thanksgiving and spring break and it took up over 30 hrs a week for my two years in college I have under my belt.

I may be missing a few things and if anyone has any recommendations or comments or advice that would be great anything helps at this point!!
 
Hey everyone, I'm new to actually participating on forums but I am looking for some input. I am concerned about applying this round due to lacking quantity in veterinary experience but am still hoping to apply this round? Since I was working during school at several jobs didn't start accumulating hours ‘till recently and I only just changed from nursing to Vet Med a year ago. I'm just wondering if others had some input. I have lots of other aspects of my application that I think make me diverse but I am unsure if applying this round would be too much of a stretch? Also, good LORs will not be a problem.

When I submit my app I will have only about 300 hours of shadowing but in 3 different fields of Veterinary medicine. I have a little over 500 hours of animal experience. I have extensive work experience as well as volunteer, research, and extracurriculars. My GPA is a 4.0 and I will be graduating in December. I am 22. Hispanic and female. I know I left a lot out but please let me know your opinion on my chances with low vet experience.

I was hoping to apply to CSU, Davis, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, Ohio, and Virginia

Thanks!
 
Hey everyone, I'm new to actually participating on forums but I am looking for some input. I am concerned about applying this round due to lacking quantity in veterinary experience but am still hoping to apply this round? Since I was working during school at several jobs didn't start accumulating hours ‘till recently and I only just changed from nursing to Vet Med a year ago. I'm just wondering if others had some input. I have lots of other aspects of my application that I think make me diverse but I am unsure if applying this round would be too much of a stretch? Also, good LORs will not be a problem.

When I submit my app I will have only about 300 hours of shadowing but in 3 different fields of Veterinary medicine. I have a little over 500 hours of animal experience. I have extensive work experience as well as volunteer, research, and extracurriculars. My GPA is a 4.0 and I will be graduating in December. I am 22. Hispanic and female. I know I left a lot out but please let me know your opinion on my chances with low vet experience.

I was hoping to apply to CSU, Davis, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, Ohio, and Virginia

Thanks!

I think you're great to apply. The vet experience is diverse, which is something they like to see. And also, don't discount the value of non-vet jobs. If you don't already get this in a clinic, they can prepare you for client communication, problem solving, and teamwork. They're just fine to talk about! I think your chances are decent, so keep racking up experience, take your gre, and finish your app! 🙂
 
I did this in early March, but I've changed a lot, so I wanted to try again.

NCSU, VAMD, Oklahoma State, Purdue, and UF.

(I understand that NCSU is a long shot considering my GPAs and my experience, but it's my dream school, and if I didn't at least apply, I would probably spend my life wondering if I could've gotten in).

20 years old, female, Texas resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Pre-Vet) with Honors, Oklahoma State University

Cum GPA: 3.60
Science GPA: 3.49 (only missing biochemistry, genetics, and physics 2)
Last 45 Hours GPA: 3.47

Veterinary Experience:
- 500 hours experience SA as a kennel tech
-50 LA surgery observing

Animal Experience:
-10-15 hours kidding goats
- 100 at Humane Society
-75 hours pet sitting
-150 hours riding and taking care of horses at Girl Scout horse camp

Research Experience:
-50 hours Member of a Biochemical research team involving the genome sequencing and understanding of a newly discovered bacteria that thrives in salt and consumes crude oil.

Work Experience:
-1300 hours over 4 years at my dad's company- I cleaned, answered the phones, organized files, scanned, shredded- just general receptionist things.

GRE: 152 Verbal, 154 Quant, 4.5 analytical writing.
Retaking in August, Magoosh predicts I get about 160's for both verbal and quant

Some of my other qualifications include:
-Member of the Honor's College
-Secretary and Academic Officer of the Oklahoma State University Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon, an engineering and technical science sorority
-Tresasurer and Founding Member of OSU Exotics
-Music Leader for Reformed University Fellowship (an on campus church ministry).
-President's Honor Roll- Fall 2014
-Dean's Honor Roll- Spring 2015 and Spring 2016
-NHS in HS
-Top 10% of graduating class

My PS was about overcoming challenges and whatnot. I was able to tie together that because I only had 35% of my hearing, I grew up loving reading and science. When I watched my first surgery, I was fascinated to see everything that I had learned come alive- bleeding right in front of me, and I was hooked. Stuff like that.

Concerns:
I'm worried about my lack of experience. I did band and drum corps growing up, so I didn't have my summers to work at a vet. Also my GPA is a little low, but I can raise my cGPA a little over the next semester or two (I've already taken my hard classes).
 
I did this in early March, but I've changed a lot, so I wanted to try again.

NCSU, VAMD, Oklahoma State, Purdue, and UF.

(I understand that NCSU is a long shot considering my GPAs and my experience, but it's my dream school, and if I didn't at least apply, I would probably spend my life wondering if I could've gotten in).

20 years old, female, Texas resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Pre-Vet) with Honors, Oklahoma State University

Cum GPA: 3.60
Science GPA: 3.49 (only missing biochemistry, genetics, and physics 2)
Last 45 Hours GPA: 3.47

Veterinary Experience:
- 500 hours experience SA as a kennel tech
-50 LA surgery observing

Animal Experience:
-10-15 hours kidding goats
- 100 at Humane Society
-75 hours pet sitting
-150 hours riding and taking care of horses at Girl Scout horse camp

Research Experience:
-50 hours Member of a Biochemical research team involving the genome sequencing and understanding of a newly discovered bacteria that thrives in salt and consumes crude oil.

Work Experience:
-1300 hours over 4 years at my dad's company- I cleaned, answered the phones, organized files, scanned, shredded- just general receptionist things.

GRE: 152 Verbal, 154 Quant, 4.5 analytical writing.
Retaking in August, Magoosh predicts I get about 160's for both verbal and quant

Some of my other qualifications include:
-Member of the Honor's College
-Secretary and Academic Officer of the Oklahoma State University Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon, an engineering and technical science sorority
-Tresasurer and Founding Member of OSU Exotics
-Music Leader for Reformed University Fellowship (an on campus church ministry).
-President's Honor Roll- Fall 2014
-Dean's Honor Roll- Spring 2015 and Spring 2016
-NHS in HS
-Top 10% of graduating class

My PS was about overcoming challenges and whatnot. I was able to tie together that because I only had 35% of my hearing, I grew up loving reading and science. When I watched my first surgery, I was fascinated to see everything that I had learned come alive- bleeding right in front of me, and I was hooked. Stuff like that.

Concerns:
I'm worried about my lack of experience. I did band and drum corps growing up, so I didn't have my summers to work at a vet. Also my GPA is a little low, but I can raise my cGPA a little over the next semester or two (I've already taken my hard classes).
Any particular reason you're not applying to TAMU since it is your IS school?

Your GPAs are fine. They're a little on the low side for NCSU OOS, from what I've seen, but not so low that it's not worth trying if your heart is set on that school. I might be a bit concerned about the slight downward trend as an adcomm, but again, it's not even really that low. Academically, I'd say you're in the right place.

The GRE scores aren't too bad. About average. I would try your damnedest to nail your upcoming retake -- I've heard great things about Magoosh, so I'm sure you'll see at least some improvement there. 160 for both Verbal and Quant would be fantastic. UF is especially big on GRE.

The vet and animal experience is okay strictly quantitatively, but personally I'd see if I could perhaps diversify a bit more. If you can manage to get some wildlife/zoo/exotics experience this summer, I think that'd round out your experience nicely and show that you branched out to experience multiple areas of the profession. The majority of schools seem to value diversity of experience over sheer number of hours, so that might be wise to play to.

Your research/work/extracurricular experiences are all good, methinks. 🙂

So! Definitely try to pull As for the upcoming semesters and do well on your GRE retake, and I think you'll have a fair shot at an acceptance. It'd be even better if you can diversify your vet experience some more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I posted above this is my first time so maybe I did it wrong but can somebody look at my stats and give me some feedback and opinions and advice on my chances! 🙂 thank you!
 
Any particular reason you're not applying to TAMU since it is your IS school?

Your GPAs are fine. They're a little on the low side for NCSU OOS, from what I've seen, but not so low that it's not worth trying if your heart is set on that school. I might be a bit concerned about the slight downward trend as an adcomm, but again, it's not even really that low. Academically, I'd say you're in the right place.

The GRE scores aren't too bad. About average. I would try your damnedest to nail your upcoming retake -- I've heard great things about Magoosh, so I'm sure you'll see at least some improvement there. 160 for both Verbal and Quant would be fantastic. UF is especially big on GRE.

The vet and animal experience is okay strictly quantitatively, but personally I'd see if I could perhaps diversify a bit more. If you can manage to get some wildlife/zoo/exotics experience this summer, I think that'd round out your experience nicely and show that you branched out to experience multiple areas of the profession. The majority of schools seem to value diversity of experience over sheer number of hours, so that might be wise to play to.

Your research/work/extracurricular experiences are all good, methinks. 🙂

So! Definitely try to pull As for the upcoming semesters and do well on your GRE retake, and I think you'll have a fair shot at an acceptance. It'd be even better if you can diversify your vet experience some more.

Would it help to mention that I'm the treasurer and one of the founding members of the OkState Exotics Club? (I considered this when creating my application) We're gonna be doing a lot over this semester animal/ volunteer wise. But I don't think it would count as vet experience..


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
GRE: haven't taken yet will be soon (appreciate good score estimates to help me)
Magoosh!!!! They're videos are absolutely amazing. They have over a thousand practice questions, and videos explaining everything!

Plus, they tell you your predicted score. They also have a 5 point increase guarantee. It's such a great plan!

In the less than a month I've been doing Magoosh, I've learned over 200 new words to help for the verbal section (300-700 to go!) and I'm learning math in a way that makes me (kinda) enjoy the quant section!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I think you're great to apply. The vet experience is diverse, which is something they like to see. And also, don't discount the value of non-vet jobs. If you don't already get this in a clinic, they can prepare you for client communication, problem solving, and teamwork. They're just fine to talk about! I think your chances are decent, so keep racking up experience, take your gre, and finish your app! 🙂

Thank you so much! This makes me feel so much better, and trust me the GRE is this summer's challenge!
 
Would it help to mention that I'm the treasurer and one of the founding members of the OkState Exotics Club? (I considered this when creating my application) We're gonna be doing a lot over this semester animal/ volunteer wise. But I don't think it would count as vet experience..


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you started a club? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but heck yes, that's definitely worth mentioning! You're right, won't be vet experience if it wasn't supervised by a DVM, but yeah, its def animal experience!
 
If you started a club? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but heck yes, that's definitely worth mentioning! You're right, won't be vet experience if it wasn't supervised by a DVM, but yeah, its def animal experience!

What I mean by that, is that while I don't have exotics vet *experience* per say, I've still done stuff with exotics. I'm really trying to broaden my horizons..


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
21 year old, Fl resident
Applying to:
UF, Midwestern, University of Tennessee, Western(maybe), Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Purdue, Ohio, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Tufts, Colorado, and Wisconsin.
I'm obviously going to narrow this list down. But these are all the schools I'm thinking of at the moment.

Degree: BS in Information Systems w/ a Business Admin minor

cGPA: 3.53
Sci GPA: 3.6
Last 45: 3.7

GRE: 150V/160Q

Vet Experience:
-Shadowing veterinary surgeons: 400 hrs
-Shadowing with a shelter veterinarian: 500 hrs
-Shadowing a general practice vet: 100 hrs

Animal Experience:
-Volunteering at humane society- 800 hrs
-Volunteered on a farm- 360 hrs
-Volunteered at my local zoo- 200 hrs

Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
-Apple Genius - 3,000 hrs
-Volunteered at a hospital- 300 hrs
-Volunteered at a nursing home- 100 hrs
-Biology club
-Computer Science club

LORs:
-One of the vets I shadowed consistently
-One from my upper-level science professor
-One from my computer science professor

Concerns: My core GPA. I never actually worked in the veterinary field, but I have 1000 hours shadowing veterinarians, is this bad? Also, I have no research experience and I don't know how badly that will hurt my application.
 
Last edited:
Posted on here a couple times, but have changed some things.
20 years old, female, IN resident
Schools applying to: Purdue (IS), OK State, Iowa State, Wisconsin, NC State, Washington State, Missouri
Degree: BS in Animal Sciences
cGPA: 3.78
Science/Last 45: Not for sure, but probably somewhere close to that, I've been consistent
GRE: Taking Friday! So nervous.. Projected to get low to mid 150s... so hopefully there or higher. This will probably hurt me at the more competitive schools.

Vet Experiences
Histology lab - 675 (+ during summer)
SA clinic - 330 (+ during summer)
Radiation Oncology - 100 (close to 200 by end of summer)
Oncology Assistant-72 (close to 200 by end of summer)
Oncology Volunteer - 100
LA Purdue VTH - 130
Farm vets - 100
Necropsy floor - 30 (close to 75 during summer)
Foal Watch - 15
Avian/Exotic Animal Clinic - 10
Vet camp - 40

Animal Experience
Leader Dog - 350
Humane Society-150
Purdue Small Animal Animal Caretaker - 90
4-H beef cattle - 300
4-H horses - 200
4-H swine - 125
Farm - 1000
4-H Dog - 350
Lab Animal Caretaker - 330
Livestock judging - 175

Other Employment
Subway - 300

Class Experiences
Haiti study abroad
ANSC 245 - animal management - 50 hrs
ANSC 181 - TF
ENGL 108 - working with nursing home
Possible General Biology Teaching Intern?


Research
170- gait analysis
Mouse Research - 15 (close to 70 by end of summer)

Extracurriculars
4-H - 10 year member, numerous awards, started beef club, various leadership positions, loads of community service
FFA - President, reporter, beef proficiency went to nationals, community service
Heifer International - Club Fundraiser officer, Treasurer
Pre-vet club member, fundraising chair officer
High school - top 25 graduating class, played flute, guitar, and piano, National Honor Society, Academic Spell bowl, Science bowl, Varsity Basketball

Awards
Writing Showcase winner
3-4 scholarships
Dean's list
4-H spirit award

eLOR's
Haiti Study Abroad Professor
Physiology Professor
Pathology Resident
Lab Animal Vet I help with research
*Possible Head Oncology Clinician. Asking her once she's done writing her grants.

So, If I don't get a high GRE score is it worth applying to NC State, Washington State, and Wisconsin since they are heavy numbers based?
 
Posted here in the past, but some things have changed and I need so opinions...

First time applicant, Animal Science major, will graduate May '17
No IS, but 2 contract school options

Applying to Ohio State, Missouri, Mississippi, and VMRCVM

cumGPA: 3.73
sciGPA: 3.70
Last 45 GPA: 3.76
GRE (Q/V/W): 153/155/4.5 (going to take once more in July)

Veterinary:
680 hours SA GP practice
400 hours holistic/rehab practice, mostly SA but equine acupuncture/shockwave as well
60 equine
50 food animal/equine
20 hours scribing for vets at endurance rides
an assemblage of Veterinary conferences that I've gone to with my mentor

Animal Experience:
4,100 hours as a barn employee, mostly general horse care but also taught pony camp
1,100 hours horse/alpaca farm
chicken raising (layers)
75 hours hippotherapy/therapeutic riding center
1.5 years spay/neuter voucher program, I qualify people for our vouchers. No direct animal handling, but it has been great for my communication skills. The stories I could tell lol.
some volunteering at a raptor rehab center feeding/caring for birds

Research: 1,000+ hours that will continue to accumulate until I graduate working on research dealing with insulin resistance in transition dairy cows. I'm actually currently spending the summer living on a 700 head commercial dairy farm working on a study. Super intense stuff, but I'm in love with all of it.

Extracurriculars:
TA for Biology department
Tutor of Chemistry department
Tutor for animal sciences department
unique study abroad trip
various clubs
various hobbies

I guess my biggest struggle at this point is how to present myself as a veterinary school applicant. I wrote my personal statement presenting myself as someone who is interested in small animal medicine because that is where most of my veterinary experience is, but the reality is that while SA will always hold a special place in my heart, over the last year, I've begun to realize that I don't see myself as a GP. All my research experience has definitely made me realize that I love both research [and cows] and I want a career in academia in specialty medicine/research. I've thought about DVM/PhD programs but I think what I want to do would be better served by doing my DVM and a PhD separately if that's the path I go down. I'm just worried about mentioning large animal work when my experience with cows is mostly on the research side of things not technically veterinary...should I just continue to paint myself as someone who wants to do SA in my personal statement since that's where I have the most experience veterinary wise? It just seems like a shame not to mention how this research has absolutely changed how I see my future. I'm just not sure...


Thoughts overall?

Its not like you're gonna be the applicant that says, "I REALLY have a passion for zoo med" with only SA experience and having watched Jack Hanna. I mean, you have research experience, and while your experience is primarily in gp, I think its okay to say your interests have evolved. I think it'll be interesting to discuss. Vets are life long learners, and therefore, must be open to new kinds of fields.

Have you sent me a PS? I'm backed up currently but I can read over it 🙂
 
Its not like you're gonna be the applicant that says, "I REALLY have a passion for zoo med" with only SA experience and having watched Jack Hanna. I mean, you have research experience, and while your experience is primarily in gp, I think its okay to say your interests have evolved. I think it'll be interesting to discuss. Vets are life long learners, and therefore, must be open to new kinds of fields.

Have you sent me a PS? I'm backed up currently but I can read over it 🙂

I have not, but if your willing to read it (even if I may change it), I'll send it to you...
 
First time posting on this forum so if I'm doing something wrong, I'm sorry!
I was hoping somebody could tell me my chances of getting in, this is my first cycle applying!
Applying to University of Illinois and Iowa State

20 yr old, hispanic female

University of Illinois Molecular and Cellular Biology Major
Cumulative GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.71

Hours of Experience:
1258 veterinary experience spread out between working as kennel, reception and as a tech (small animal, avian/exotic and wildlife)
450 hours research with piglets
60 hours animal experience rehabilitating wildlife for my work
350 hours animal experience fostering animals
720 hours employment experience as caricature artist at a theme park

GRE: have not taken, but I tend to do well on standardized tests (32 on ACT if that's any measure of how I will do on the GRE) so I'm hopeful it will be at least avg or better

Extracurriculars (besides research):
Pre Vet Club Public Relations officer

I'm worried that my experience isn't quite broad enough or that perhaps I don't have enough hours in total? All of my veterinary experience comes from one clinic that I've worked at since high school and my large animal experience is limited to piglets. Also I'm not sure if its in my favor or counts against me but I'm graduating a year early so right now I'm about to enter my junior year of college and am applying a year early.
Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you guys so much!
 
1st time applicant, 24 years old, non-traditional student in Ontario and these schools are my back-ups if I cannot get into my provincial school OVC (which is doubtful!!!): UCD, Edinburgh,Ross, Glasgow, can anyone suggest the more affordable US schools or US schools you see Canadians attend typically??

Bit of a background: Very unmotivated in undergrad because I set a barrier between myself and vet school, basically convinced myself it was a pipe dream and gave up (still kicking myself for having such low self esteem). Started a very successful tack store with family members in my second year of university that has grown into an internationally known online store. Realized anything is possible if you work your a** off and don't give up. I really need to express in my PS how motivated I am and how much the experience of starting a business has influenced me, changed me, and led me back to pursuing my childhood dreams of vet school.

Started in an Equine Science degree, switched out because the program was not well run/admired into BA and graduated, almost finished getting credits for Biological Sciences degree.

cGPA: 3.0
Last 45 GPA: 3.7 was my last semester (5 courses) but could go up if I can get higher grades in my fall semester- unsure of how the 45 credit system converts for canadians
GRE (Q/V/W): Writing June 30, planning to write it again in July/August depending on score.
**I am still getting pre-requisites this fall for my applications- anyone have experiences with this hindering their applications because the marks aren't in for them till January 2017????

Veterinary:
500 hrs employed at small animal practice- ongoing
12 hrs shadowing equine vet- ongoing so I will have more hours
Starting at orthopaedic surgery small animal clinic in July

Non-Animal Experience:
4500 hrs started a business with my mom and aunt, an equestrian tack store
400 hours Royal Winter Fair Horseshow- we have had a booth for our store for 3 years
200hrs consulting a business on web design and social media
Tons of part time jobs...

Animal Experience:
50 hrs Wildlife rescue centre volunteer
Lifetime of horseback riding and competing, observing vets/farriers, working in barns and helping at horseshows sporadically
125hrs worked at equestrian facility over my christmas holidays

Extracurriculars:
Commissioned equine portait painter
College dressage team
Equine Canada rider level 6

eLORS: SA vet I work for, CEO of compony I consulted for web design, PHD candidate who taught my animal welfare seminar course

Any advice or input would be GREATLY appreciated!! THANKS! 🙂
 
When it comes to LORs I have one Vet, a professor who I took two classes from and have worked with for almost 3 years but...I am struggling on who to pick for the third one...I have several professors who I have worked with who could write me a letter but I also have a professor who is a DVM I could ask. I could also ask my boss from work I have known for 2 years, which would be more work-ethic based rather than academic. I really want to ask more than just 3 but I've heard it doesn't look good if you have that many letters. Would that be true even if they were all strong letters?
Thanks!
 
I really want to ask more than just 3 but I've heard it doesn't look good if you have that many letters. Would that be true even if they were all strong letters?
Thanks!
I don't think that's necessarily true, I had 5 LORs (not sure if they were all strong) but didn't hurt my chances of getting accepted :]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
21 year old, Fl resident
Applying to:
UF, Midwestern, University of Tennessee, Western(maybe), Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Purdue, Ohio, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Tufts, Colorado, and Wisconsin.
I'm obviously going to narrow this list down. But these are all the schools I'm thinking of at the moment. ALSO, I'm not sure why but my schools won't show up on the app. Try web browser or a computer. Thanks!

Degree: BS in Information Systems w/ a Business Admin minor

cGPA: 3.53
Sci GPA: 3.6
Last 45: 3.7

GRE: 150V/160Q

Vet Experience:
-Shadowing veterinary surgeons: 400 hrs
-Shadowing with a shelter veterinarian: 500 hrs
-Shadowing a general practice vet: 100 hrs

Animal Experience:
-Volunteering at humane society- 800 hrs
-Volunteered on a farm- 360 hrs
-Volunteered at my local zoo- 200 hrs

Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
-Apple Genius - 3,000 hrs
-Volunteered at a hospital- 300 hrs
-Volunteered at a nursing home- 100 hrs
-Biology club
-Computer Science club

LORs:
-One of the vets I shadowed consistently
-One from my upper-level science professor
-One from my computer science professor

Concerns: My core GPA. I never actually worked in the veterinary field, but I have 1000ish hours shadowing veterinarians, is this bad? Also, I have no research experience and I don't know how badly that will hurt my application.
 
Hey everyone! I don't know where to ask this but does anyone have a list of schools we can compile that take the NEW replacement grade and which ones average them? Thanks so much!
 
24 year old TX resident

BS in Zoology and a minor in Spanish

GPA: 3.32

GRE: 157 Quant, 164 Verbal

Vet Experience:
50 hours shadowing a mixed practice veterinarian
650 hours working as veterinary assistant in small vet clinic
750 hours working as veterinary technician at a humane society
100 hours shadowing LA vet
Limited amount of hours (still need to calculate better) with veterinarians at wildlife rehabs and the aquarium I worked for who were only occasionally there

Animal Experience:
650 hours interning with a sea turtle care and research position at an aquarium
750 hours performing field research with sage grouse conservation in wyoming
~300ish hours interning with a wildlife rehab center (+ about 250 more as just a volunteer)
2000+ hours working with horses (barn work, riding, camp counselor, etc.)
50 hours volunteer at a wild bird sanctuary/rehab
50 hours volunteer at a humane society (different from the one I worked at)

LORS:
Vet I worked for at SA clinic
Vet I worked for at humane society
Supervisor for the sea turtle position

Concerns:
My GPA is really freaking me out. I have a c+ in my first gen chem and my organic chem lab and a C in biochem. Will my experience and GRE make up for this? I've also been adding and removing schools from my application list and being super wishy washy. I'd love some input as to which schools value my types of credentials. My apply list right now is TAMU, Ohio, UTK, and LSU
 
Last edited:
24 year old TX resident

BS in Zoology and a minor in Spanish

GPA: 3.32

GRE: 157 Quant, 164 Verbal

Vet Experience:
50 hours shadowing a mixed practice veterinarian
650 hours working as veterinary assistant in small vet clinic
750 hours working as veterinary technician at a humane society
100 hours shadowing LA vet
Limited amount of hours (still need to calculate better) with veterinarians at wildlife rehabs and the aquarium I worked for who were only occasionally there

Animal Experience:
650 hours interning with a sea turtle care and research position at an aquarium
750 hours performing field research with sage grouse conservation in wyoming
~300ish hours interning with a wildlife rehab center (+ about 250 more as just a volunteer)
2000+ hours working with horses (barn work, riding, camp counselor, etc.)
50 hours volunteer at a wild bird sanctuary/rehab
50 hours volunteer at a humane society (different from the one I worked at)

LORS:
Vet I worked for at SA clinic
Vet I worked for at humane society
Supervisor for the sea turtle position

Concerns:
My GPA is really freaking me out. I have a c+ in my first gen chem and my organic chem lab and a C in biochem. Will my experience and GRE make up for this? I've also been adding and removing schools from my application list and being super wishy washy. I'd love some input as to which schools value my types of credentials. My definitely apply list right now is TAMU, Ohio, UTK, and LSU

What are your required course and last 45 hour GPAs? LSU only looks at those, they don't use your cumulative.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.