This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend Magoosh for studying for the GRE. If I were you, I'd want to get as high of scores as possible because your GPA is on the low end. What do your science and last 45 GPAs look like?

I was actually just going to buy Magoosh! Thank you!! I never know how to calculate my science GPA since every school is different. Any recommendations? Last 45 should be at a 3.4-3.5ish? I need to calculate for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't understand how people can have 40,000+ hours of experience. I'm 28, and I've been working in widlife, exotics, small animal, and research for 10 years full time (10--12+ hours a day) and I have total 16,000.

Those people must have been zombies and working 18 hour days or something. You guys need a vacation lol

Last edited:
I don't understand how people can have 40,000+ hours of experience. I'm 28, and I've been working in widlife, exotics, small animal, and research for 10 years full time (10--12+ hours a day) and I have total 16,000.

Those people must have been zombies and working 18 hour days or something. You guys need a vacation lol
I'm confused...who has 40,000 hours of experience? Old post?

I was actually just going to buy Magoosh! Thank you!! I never know how to calculate my science GPA since every school is different. Any recommendations? Last 45 should be at a 3.4-3.5ish? I need to calculate for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I definitely recommend it. I improved my GRE score by 9 points the second time I took it by using Magoosh. All schools calculate science GPA differently (meaning they all use different classes to determine what your science GPA is), but a good start is to just figure out what your GPA is for all your science credits.

(If you don't know how to to that...add up all your science credits, multiply by 4, then subtract 4 from that number for each B and 8 from that number for each C, then divide that number by that original number of credit hours. This doesn't factor in an "minus" grades if you have them, but gives a pretty good idea)

Reactions: 1 user

They said they've been working multiple vet jobs for 13.5 years. It makes sense.

They said they've been working multiple vet jobs for 13.5 years. It makes sense.

yeah, i believe them, I just think it's insane since I was tired all the time for 10 years so I can only imagine what they must be like

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i believe them, I just think it's insane since I was tired all the time for 10 years so I can only imagine what they must be like
Oh yeah definitely. I think it's absolutely insane. That's approximately 57 hours a week for 13.5 years. They need a break and a vacation!!! 13.5 years ago I was.... 7.... I had just turned 7 and about to enter 2nd grade... DANG.

Oh yeah definitely. I think it's absolutely insane. That's approximately 57 hours a week for 13.5 years. They need a break and a vacation!!! 13.5 years ago I was.... 7.... I had just turned 7 and about to enter 2nd grade... DANG.

Hahaha, stop making me feel old, cdoconn! I was in high school!

On the bright side, at age 7 I officially decided I wanted to be a veterinarian! At age six I was going back and forth between a veterinarian and a princess (still would probably pick the princess opportunity if the situation arose)

Reactions: 1 users
On the bright side, at age 7 I officially decided I wanted to be a veterinarian! At age six I was going back and forth between a veterinarian and a princess (still would probably pick the princess opportunity if the situation arose)

That sounds like it would have been a huge career mistake. Princess is aiming too low, you have to be a queen.

That sounds like it would have been a huge career mistake. Princess is aiming too low, you have to be a queen.
I think in many countries you have to be a princess before you can be a queen. Nonetheless Queen is probably aiming too low too. I prefer High Overlord or something similar

I was 8:p

I think in many countries you have to be a princess before you can be a queen. Nonetheless Queen is probably aiming too low too. I prefer High Overlord or something similar

Weren't you just claiming to be God or something...High overlord would be a downgrade

hmm. Very true. But as High Overlord, I can still be as sadistic and ruthless as I wanted without evoking anger from the spiritualists.

I don't know where you applied but if we were to end up at the same school, we would get along:p

Hopefully!! Last year they sent it on 12/19, so any day now!!! *fingers crossed*
On their website it says at the end of the first week of December...but it seems like everyone has been a bit behind so hard to say if that'll pan out or not but getting there!

On their website it says at the end of the first week of December...but it seems like everyone has been a bit behind so hard to say if that'll pan out or not but getting there!
Yeah.. I remember on the VAMD thread there was some debate if yesterday was the first week or if this Friday will be the end of the first week. Hopefully soon... I need some good news. :/

Hey! I just wanted to post what I have so far, which isn't much, but I think it's at least an okayish start, even though I have a long way to go. Obviously what I'm missing is just some plain old private practice vet shadowing. I'm especially interested in shadowing at an emergency or animal ophthalmology clinic (There actually is one here in town). Sorry this is so long! Let me know what you think! Thanks!

GPA cum: 3.48 (still not sure if that's going up or down after this semester. Won't change a lot regardless, but keep in mind I just trasnferred to UGA from a much smaller, and I've learned, much easier school...)
prereqs:
Bio 1: A-
Bio 2: B
Precalc: B
Chem 1 (in progress: either B+ or A-. still have the final left...)

vet experiences:
about 25 hours at shelter clinics/spay neuter facilities

Animal:
about 6 hours volunteering at animal shelters
11 hours at a big cat rescue
270 hours working as a stable hand (mostly just elderly horses)
some amount of hands on experience with chickens from school (I'm an avian bio major)

extracirriculars:
-I was a photo editor of yearbook for a couple years in high school (is this even relevent?)
-I was on a rowing team for three years of high school
-and I'm on a college rowing team now (it's just a club sport, not NCAA or anything)

next semester/future:
-I have an internship lined up at a Clydesdale facility: I've been told we will get experience with ultrasounds, foals, and breeding, but I'm still waiting for more info.
-I've started helping out with cow reproductive research at my univeristy that is run by a Veterinarian, so hopefully that continues into next semester
-Planning on becoming an animal care volunteer at a wildlife santuary
-Might have a shot at a job in the poultry diagnostic lab for next summer

Hey! I just wanted to post what I have so far, which isn't much, but I think it's at least an okayish start, even though I have a long way to go. Obviously what I'm missing is just some plain old private practice vet shadowing. I'm especially interested in shadowing at an emergency or animal ophthalmology clinic (There actually is one here in town). Sorry this is so long! Let me know what you think! Thanks!

GPA cum: 3.48 (still not sure if that's going up or down after this semester. Won't change a lot regardless, but keep in mind I just trasnferred to UGA from a much smaller, and I've learned, much easier school...)
prereqs:

vet experiences:

Animal:
some amount of hands on experience with chickens from school (I'm an avian bio major)

extracirriculars:
-I was a photo editor of yearbook for a couple years in high school (is this even relevent?)
-and I'm on a college rowing team now (it's just a club sport, not NCAA or anything)

next semester/future:
-I have an internship lined up at a Clydesdale facility: I've been told we will get experience with ultrasounds, foals, and breeding, but I'm still waiting for more info.
-I've started helping out with cow reproductive research at my univeristy that is run by a Veterinarian, so hopefully that continues into next semester

Not a bad start. When are you planning on applying? If I were you, I'd try to get my GPA into the 3.6 range...that's about average for most schools. Definitely need more veterinary experience, but I think you know that. The more variety with said experience, the better. The rowing is something different that looks good extracurricular wise. Are you a member of any clubs? Think about some volunteer work. Research is great and definitely adds to an application!

We all start somewhere...beginning is often the hardest part:)

prereqs:

vet experiences:

Animal:

extracirriculars:

next semester/future:
I'm also from Georgia and rowed in high school! I'm currently finishing my last year rowing D1 but not in Georgia anymore. I wonder if we ever raced each other. Good luck with the club team at UGA! Hopefully if I get accepted there we can be erg buddies.

I'm also from Georgia and rowed in high school! I'm currently finishing my last year rowing D1 but not in Georgia anymore. I wonder if we ever raced each other. Good luck with the club team at UGA! Hopefully if I get accepted there we can be erg buddies.
I rowed in high school in North Florida, but we came up to Georgia a lot :) Maybe we did race haha! Yeah I need to start erging again for my 1000 m erg sprint in febuary... I'm a coxswain actually!

Not a bad start. When are you planning on applying? If I were you, I'd try to get my GPA into the 3.6 range...that's about average for most schools. Definitely need more veterinary experience, but I think you know that. The more variety with said experience, the better. The rowing is something different that looks good extracurricular wise. Are you a member of any clubs? Think about some volunteer work. Research is great and definitely adds to an application!

We all start somewhere...beginning is often the hardest part:)

Yeah, I've had to improve my study skills drastically this semester (actually failed one my chemistry exams, and had to pull it back together really quick), so hopefully I can get some more A's and less B's in the future.
I've had trouble getting shadowing experiences at places that aren't already set up for volunteers.... (aka animal shelters/non-profits)
Oh, and it'll be a long while before I apply. I would be applying for the class of 2023, or maybe 2024 if i took a gap year after undergrad.

Yeah, I've had to improve my study skills drastically this semester (actually failed one my chemistry exams, and had to pull it back together really quick), so hopefully I can get some more A's and less B's in the future.
I've had trouble getting shadowing experiences at places that aren't already set up for volunteers.... (aka animal shelters/non-profits)
Oh, and it'll be a long while before I apply. I would be applying for the class of 2023, or maybe 2024 if i took a gap year after undergrad.

I totally understand...it's kind of a process of trial and error to find what works for you! Awesome job on pulling that chem grade of up the A/B range, I'm sure you'll rock the final!!! You have plenty of time to get where you want to be with grades and experience! For me, I was lucky and the first place I asked to shadow was willing and I've been there ever since (now as an employee). Honestly, you just have to find the *right* vet to take you on. Go in to ever practice you can think of with a resume, explain that you are a pre-vet student, and that you would love to observe and see the profession up close. It's not for everyone, but it's awesome that you are getting research experience too. Research has been a huge part of undergrad for me and for most schools, it's definitely a plus! Very cool about the Clydesdales...they are just gentle giants. Drafties are fabulous...have fun with that internship!

Soooo.... This year I applied to vet school at Tufts, University of Penn, Ohio State, University of Illinois, Colorado State, and Virginia- Maryland. I just heard back from Ohio State and was declined. It is making me very nervous because I thought I had a strong application and I already feel kind of defeated. I do know that I have five other schools I am waiting on yet. What do you guys think of my chances? Here are my stats..
Senior Undergrad Student
Cum GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.73
GRE scores: Quat-153(51 percentile), Verbal-154(63 percentile), and writing- 5(93 percentile)
I have research experience under my microbiology professor at my undergraduate institution.
I have been working at a small animal hospital since I graduated high school. >2000 hours of experience
I have shadowed an equine vet briefly as well as a large animal vet briefly.
I received a STEM scholarship at school.
Been involved in leadership roles on campus.
Volunteered for a variety of different things throughout college.
I also have a lot of other things from high school as well.

Well, what do you think the working hours of a vet are? I regularly work 50+ hour weeks and most vets work the job longer than 13 years. That's kind of normalish for this career.

At least that's still what I have planned, unless I win the lottery, then I'm running away from this quite quickly and never looking back.

And I'll skip the mentioning how old I was 13.5 years ago..... ;)

Soooo.... This year I applied to vet school at Tufts, University of Penn, Ohio State, University of Illinois, Colorado State, and Virginia- Maryland. I just heard back from Ohio State and was declined. It is making me very nervous because I thought I had a strong application and I already feel kind of defeated. I do know that I have five other schools I am waiting on yet. What do you guys think of my chances? Here are my stats..
Senior Undergrad Student
Cum GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.73
GRE scores: Quat-153(51 percentile), Verbal-154(63 percentile), and writing- 5(93 percentile)
I have research experience under my microbiology professor at my undergraduate institution.
I have been working at a small animal hospital since I graduated high school. >2000 hours of experience
I have shadowed an equine vet briefly as well as a large animal vet briefly.
I received a STEM scholarship at school.
Been involved in leadership roles on campus.
Volunteered for a variety of different things throughout college.
I also have a lot of other things from high school as well.
GPA is good, Quant GRE is a little low but nothing too detrimental. SA experience is good. If you could change anything, *maybe* diversify your experience? Get some more large? But The weird part of applications and admissions committees is that we don't know what they're looking for. One might want lower GPAs and more extracurricular activities, one might want the highest amount of experience hours with little regard to the GPA, one might focus on the grades and not as much on the experience?

I would tell you not to worry (but I know that you're going to be worried nonetheless). You still have 5 other schools to say yes to you, don't be discouraged about one! :)

Can you do a file review with Ohio? They can tell you what's missing from your application and then if for some reason you get rejected from the others, you can improve your application and try again.

GPA is good, Quant GRE is a little low but nothing too detrimental. SA experience is good. If you could change anything, *maybe* diversify your experience? Get some more large? But The weird part of applications and admissions committees is that we don't know what they're looking for. One might want lower GPAs and more extracurricular activities, one might want the highest amount of experience hours with little regard to the GPA, one might focus on the grades and not as much on the experience?

I would tell you not to worry (but I know that you're going to be worried nonetheless). You still have 5 other schools to say yes to you, don't be discouraged about one! :)

Can you do a file review with Ohio? They can tell you what's missing from your application and then if for some reason you get rejected from the others, you can improve your application and try again.
Thanks for your input. I knew that the quantitative score was a little low and that I do not have as much LA experience, so those are definitely things I could have improved upon. I think the fact that every school is different is what made it so hard to decide who to apply to. It's just super nerve racking when you spend years and years of your life trying to reach this one goal! I am trying to keep my hopes up. And yes.. I can do a file review with Ohio State. I was planning on scheduling a time to talk to them about what I was missing. Thank you!

Thanks for your input. I knew that the quantitative score was a little low and that I do not have as much LA experience, so those are definitely things I could have improved upon. I think the fact that every school is different is what made it so hard to decide who to apply to. It's just super nerve racking when you spend years and years of your life trying to reach this one goal! I am trying to keep my hopes up. And yes.. I can do a file review with Ohio State. I was planning on scheduling a time to talk to them about what I was missing. Thank you!

I think the hardest part is the fact that you definitely cannot tailor your application to satisfy every admissions committee. I was rejected from Davis and Mizzou this cycle so far but received invites from a few others (including Ohio, which was a pleasant surprise given my below average GPA and sGPA). I think a file review to see what exactly it is they feel you're lacking in would certainly help clear up some of the uncertainties, at least for that particular school. Best of luck with your other applications :)

I think the hardest part is the fact that you definitely cannot tailor your application to satisfy every admissions committee. I was rejected from Davis and Mizzou this cycle so far but received invites from a few others (including Ohio, which was a pleasant surprise given my below average GPA and sGPA). I think a file review to see what exactly it is they feel you're lacking in would certainly help clear up some of the uncertainties, at least for that particular school. Best of luck with your other applications :)
Congrats on the invites! That is very exciting! Where did you end up applying? I definitely agree on the fact that you really can't tailor to every school and you really have no idea what they are focusing on. Best of luck to you!

I totally understand...it's kind of a process of trial and error to find what works for you! Awesome job on pulling that chem grade of up the A/B range, I'm sure you'll rock the final!!! You have plenty of time to get where you want to be with grades and experience! For me, I was lucky and the first place I asked to shadow was willing and I've been there ever since (now as an employee). Honestly, you just have to find the *right* vet to take you on. Go in to ever practice you can think of with a resume, explain that you are a pre-vet student, and that you would love to observe and see the profession up close. It's not for everyone, but it's awesome that you are getting research experience too. Research has been a huge part of undergrad for me and for most schools, it's definitely a plus! Very cool about the Clydesdales...they are just gentle giants. Drafties are fabulous...have fun with that internship!

Thanks! my chem lab grade isn't so hot, but they're seperate grades (not sure if that's good or bad....)

Congrats on the invites! That is very exciting! Where did you end up applying? I definitely agree on the fact that you really can't tailor to every school and you really have no idea what they are focusing on. Best of luck to you!

Thank you! I applied to basically half the schools, lol. Auburn, Ohio, Davis, VA, Illinois, Washington, Mizzou, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Western, Georgia and Oregon. I certainly didn't anticipate getting as many interviews as I've received so far (5 total) with my stats and the number of applicants increasing every year!

Thank you! I applied to basically half the schools, lol. Auburn, Ohio, Davis, VA, Illinois, Washington, Mizzou, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Western, Georgia and Oregon. I certainly didn't anticipate getting as many interviews as I've received so far (5 total) with my stats and the number of applicants increasing every year!
Wow you did apply to a lot! Probably a good choice, it gives you more options! And a pricey bill for that matter to pay for all those applications lol Is this your first year applying?

I think I'll be taking the same approach! The vet I shadow with now applied to 17 on his first try so he wouldn't have to worry about a second cycle. And being a second time applicant with a somewhat average application, I really don't want to go through a third cycle. I'll probably apply to 10....

I did look through your stats from when you posted earlier on this thread - I'm not surprised at all with your interview invites! Your veterinary experience is diverse and impressive.... can I ask where you have interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow you did apply to a lot! Probably a good choice, it gives you more options! And a pricey bill for that matter to pay for all those applications lol Is this your first year applying?

Yeah, just VMCAS fees, supplementals, and GRE scores set me back around $2400 :eek: but honestly I had been saving for over a year anticipating to spend a lot, and given that it's my future at stake I see it as a more-than-worthwhile investment. It is my first time! It took me a while to get my foot into the door of vet med experience though so I spent a couple of years after finishing undergrad working on getting diverse experience. I'm applying a couple of years later than I would have anticipated in the past which I know is no big deal but it's dragged on as if it were an eternity!

I think I'll be taking the same approach! The vet I shadow with now applied to 17 on his first try so he wouldn't have to worry about a second cycle. And being a second time applicant with a somewhat average application, I really don't want to go through a third cycle. I'll probably apply to 10....

I did look through your stats from when you posted earlier on this thread - I'm not surprised at all with your interview invites! Your veterinary experience is diverse and impressive.... can I ask where you have interviews?

Thank you! I know my academics aren't necessarily "bad", but obsessing over the Successful Applicants Stats forums (for several months :scared:) had me worrying about all the 3.8+ GPA's I was seeing, lol. So far I've interviewed at Western, and interview at Michigan this Friday. In January I'll be interviewing at Kansas, Auburn, and Ohio.

At age 4 I finally gave of my lifelong dream of being a horse, and decided I wanted to be a cowgirl instead. Then at age 6, I settled for veterinarian.

Reactions: 1 users
At age 4 I finally gave of my lifelong dream of being a horse, and decided I wanted to be a cowgirl instead. Then at age 6, I settled for veterinarian.
omg you wanted to be an animal as well? I wanted to be a tiger growing up. My mom tells the story of when I told my mom I wanted to be a tiger, and after she told me I couldn't be a tiger I had a rough time accepting it- so much so that the next time someone asked me what I want to be when I grew up, I responded "dead..... if I can't be a tiger what's the point of growing up?"

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.