This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm just wondering what my chances are (I know they are slim, but a little encouragement never hurt anyone). Right now my GPA is around a 3.0 solid, but I got a D in organic chemistry (I already made plans to retake it next year). However, it's my junior year so I planned on applying this may? I'm taking physics 1 and 2 this summer, so I was wondering if I should apply this cycle or next?
I have around 300 hours in a mixed animal practice, 1200 hours as an Animal Health inspector intern, 30 hours animal phys. research, along with YEARS of horses and cattle on our family farm. in addition, I did high school rodeo, showed livestock (won grand champion senior showman), etc. I haven't yet taken my GRE but using the study book and an app that provides sample exams my expected scores are around 150 on verbal and quant. Please offer advice!
both of my mixed animal practice and inspector experience are growing as I currently still work both places.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I'm just wondering what my chances are (I know they are slim, but a little encouragement never hurt anyone). Right now my GPA is around a 3.0 solid, but I got a D in organic chemistry (I already made plans to retake it next year). However, it's my junior year so I planned on applying this may? I'm taking physics 1 and 2 this summer, so I was wondering if I should apply this cycle or next?
I have around 300 hours in a mixed animal practice, 1200 hours as an Animal Health inspector intern, 30 hours animal phys. research, along with YEARS of horses and cattle on our family farm. in addition, I did high school rodeo, showed livestock (won grand champion senior showman), etc. I haven't yet taken my GRE but using the study book and an app that provides sample exams my expected scores are around 150 on verbal and quant. Please offer advice!
both of my mixed animal practice and inspector experience are growing as I currently still work both places.
Is the Animal Health inspector internship veterinary experience or just animal experience?

It helps us give you better advice if you follow the format in the first post of this thread (more info, more organized, easier to reference). At the very least I'm interested in a more detailed breakdown of your GPA (cumulative, science/pre-req, and last 45), and of your hours - veterinary vs animal. But all the other info gives us a better idea of what your total application will look at as well.

That said, your GPA is low and your chances will depend on where you apply and how the schools handle retakes, which varies. You'll want to look at schools that do grade replacement. If I were you I might wait and apply during the 2018 cycle - gives you more semesters to get A's, which will be good for your last 45, even if it doesn't pull your cumulative gpa up much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Female from Texas, 21 years old, Graduating in May 2018. First time applying in May 2018 for class of 2022.

Cum GPA: 3.65 or 3.6 Science GPA: 3.58 or 3.67 depending on how you average my Ochem II grade Last 45 3.9

GRE Verbal – 168ish Quantitative - 162ish AW- 4.5+ (based on practice exams. I’m taking the actual GRE in February)

LOR's – Emergency Clinic Vet, Equine Vet, University Academic Recommendation Committee (committee made up of professors I have had for science classes at my school), possibly another from ER Vet

PS: Talk about my passion for emergency medicine, how I love getting to see different cases every single shift and constantly learning about different diseases and treatment options. Discuss the adrenaline rush when a critical patient comes in and how I have become part of the team that helps to save the patient. I also plan on talking about my love for Spanish and how I have been able to integrate it into my job at the ER as well as how I love being able to help the doctors communicate with clients. Highlight that I am glad to have the opportunity to have studied Spanish because it is such a valuable skill with the growing population of Spanish-speakers in the US.

Schools Applying to: TAMU (IS), Mizzou

Vet Experiences
-48 hours shadowing vets at two small animal GP clinics
-428 hours veterinary assistant at small animal GP clinic
-50 hours observing vets at small animal ER
-450 hours veterinary assistant at small animal ER
-350 hours unlicensed tech at small animal ER
-100 hours shadowing equine vet
-30ish hours shadowing surgeries at exotic vet
-70ish hours shadowing livestock vet and attending Agrilife programming for livestock with DVMs ie vaccination clinics, etc
=1526 total

Research
None :/

Animal Experience
-5000+ hours hunter/jumper horseback riding
-120 hours volunteering at equine-assisted therapy center

Other Employment
-Note taker at my university for students with learning disabilities
-Counselor/Riding instructor at horseback riding camp

Class Experiences
Spanish and Biology Major

Volunteer
-Science mentorship program for elementary school students (3 semesters as mentor, 1 semester as program coordinator)
-Therapeutic riding center
-Advocate/visitation at ICE detention center- speaking (in Spanish) with women who are seeking asylum in the US and have been detained by ICE, recording visits in database and monitoring for human rights abuses by detention center
-Planned and organized an event for sorority members and potential members to make sachets for breast cancer patients
-Volunteered at balloon release event for breast cancer month at local hospital, recruited other volunteers from hospital, attended volunteer committee meetings at hospital with hospital administration
-BIG event- university wide volunteer event
-Science demonstrations for elementary school students visiting my university with their school

Leadership
-President of BBB Biology Honors Society
-VP of BBB
-Civic Engagement Chair of BBB
-Program Coordinator for science mentor program
-VP3/Recruitment chair of sorority
-Special Events chair of sorority
-VP of global awareness/exchange student welcoming club in HS

Extracurriculars
-Horseback riding
-BBB
-Mentor program
-Sorority
-Should I include more from high school?

Achievements
-Dean’s List
-Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Health Professions Honor Society)
-BBB
-NHS in HS
-Merit scholarship to my university
-Graduated summa Cum Laude from my high school
-More academic awards from hs that I don’t know if I should include or not

I know my GPA is pretty average... so that's the one thing I'm worried about. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Female from Texas, 21 years old, Graduating in May 2018. First time applying in May 2018 for class of 2022.

Cum GPA: 3.65 or 3.6 Science GPA: 3.58 or 3.67 depending on how you average my Ochem II grade Last 45 3.9

GRE Verbal – 168ish Quantitative - 162ish AW- 4.5+ (based on practice exams. I’m taking the actual GRE in February)

LOR's – Emergency Clinic Vet, Equine Vet, University Academic Recommendation Committee (committee made up of professors I have had for science classes at my school), possibly another from ER Vet

PS: Talk about my passion for emergency medicine, how I love getting to see different cases every single shift and constantly learning about different diseases and treatment options. Discuss the adrenaline rush when a critical patient comes in and how I have become part of the team that helps to save the patient. I also plan on talking about my love for Spanish and how I have been able to integrate it into my job at the ER as well as how I love being able to help the doctors communicate with clients. Highlight that I am glad to have the opportunity to have studied Spanish because it is such a valuable skill with the growing population of Spanish-speakers in the US.

Vet Experiences
-70ish hours shadowing livestock vet and attending Agrilife programming for livestock with DVMs ie vaccination clinics, etc
=1526 total

Research

Animal Experience

Other Employment

Class Experiences

Volunteer
-Science mentorship program for elementary school students (3 semesters as mentor, 1 semester as program coordinator)
-Advocate/visitation at ICE detention center- speaking (in Spanish) with women who are seeking asylum in the US and have been detained by ICE, recording visits in database and monitoring for human rights abuses by detention center
-Planned and organized an event for sorority members and potential members to make sachets for breast cancer patients
-Volunteered at balloon release event for breast cancer month at local hospital, recruited other volunteers from hospital, attended volunteer committee meetings at hospital with hospital administration
-Science demonstrations for elementary school students visiting my university with their school

Leadership
-VP of BBB

Extracurriculars
-Horseback riding
-BBB
-Mentor program
-Sorority

Achievements
-Dean’s List
-BBB
-NHS in HS

I know my GPA is pretty average... so that's the one thing I'm worried about. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I wanted to warn you, if you take the GRE in February before VMCAS opens (May), you will need to pay to send your scores to VMCAS again once the VMCAS actually opens. Each score is about $27, so just keep that in mind!

I wanted to warn you, if you take the GRE in February before VMCAS opens (May), you will need to pay to send your scores to VMCAS again once the VMCAS actually opens. Each score is about $27, so just keep that in mind!

Thanks for the heads up! I want to take it early in case I need to improve my score at all before sending it in. I'll be prepared for the fees :confused:

That $27 added up quickly lol

Vet Experiences
=1526 total

Research

Animal Experience

Other Employment

Class Experiences

Volunteer

Leadership
-VP of BBB

Extracurriculars
-Horseback riding
-BBB
-Mentor program
-Sorority

Achievements
-Dean’s List
-BBB
-NHS in HS

I think your stats look solid! Your GPA is about average for most schools, but your last 45 is great. If you haven't already, I would suggest taking a couple upper level science courses in the upcoming semester. Doing well in those will look very good.

Other than that it looks like you'll likely do well on the GRE and your experiences look solid (and diverse)! Good luck :)

Hey guys,
I know there were some threads about this issue but I couldn't exactly find my answer.
I'm in undergrad, hoping to apply within next year or two,
but my GPA is pretty low, I'm thinking it'll be around 3.0~ish by the time I graduate.
(I might take more classes to raise it) I didn't take my GRE yet.
I was wondering how important vet experience is to the application.
I started working at small animal practice for about 5 years.
by the time I apply, I'll have close to ~12,000 hours of small animal practice experience.
I also volunteered at the zoo ~400hrs. I know most of the schools look at grades first hand but
do you think my vet experience might help with my low GPA at all?

Hey guys,
I know there were some threads about this issue but I couldn't exactly find my answer.
but my GPA is pretty low, I'm thinking it'll be around 3.0~ish by the time I graduate.
by the time I apply, I'll have close to ~12,000 hours of small animal practice experience.
I also volunteered at the zoo ~400hrs. I know most of the schools look at grades first hand but

If you give more info, I'll do my best to help! Check out the posts above yours- break down animal vs. vet experience, other experience, last 45 GPA, science GPA, what state you're in, where you want to apply, etc.

Vet Experiences
=1526 total

Research

Animal Experience

Other Employment

Class Experiences

Volunteer

Leadership
-VP of BBB

Extracurriculars
-Horseback riding
-BBB
-Mentor program
-Sorority

Achievements
-Dean’s List
-BBB
-NHS in HS

For Mizzou, I would say you have a good shot at getting an interview, based on maintenance of that high last 45 GPA. It's weighed a bit more compared to other schools (not that it's particularly weighed a lot).

The Spanish aspect is certainly interesting, and spun the correct way, could make for a unique PS. I would definitely have people take a look at it, as there is a fine line between unique PS that stands out and one that comes off as "out there".

at Mizzou, GREs are barely looked at (4%) so that won't make a huge impact one way or the other.

My advice is if you would be able to get in on some type of emergency research over this upcoming summer, that would make your application stand out even more IMHO. Your actual GPA is slightly below the average accepted, but maintaining that stellar last 45 makes that practically irrelevant.

Hey guys,
It depends on the school you are looking to apply to. Providing information like that, as well as more info about your application would be helpful.

Something that may be helpful is looking at the root cause of the bad grades. Vet schools want to see the ability to learn from mistakes and upward trends. Have you retaken a course that you may not have done well on? Remember that very low grades, like Ds, may not be accepted by vet schools as fulfilling the requirement. Have you shown the ability to be successful in upper level bio classes after struggling initially? Does your last 45 GPA reflect an upward trend? These are some things to think about.

In some cases, unique, varied, and plentiful experience CAN make up for bad grades, but in many cases this is accompanied by upward trends. I definitely do not know your situation at all, but another thing some vet schools focus on is prioritization. That's amazing that you were able to accumulate 12000 hours up until know. However, if that was done at the expense of your grades, that can possibly demonstrate a lack of prioritization (school first, work/experience second). Our recruitment officer will often give talks saying that if something is coming in the way of getting good grades while in undergrad, you should drop whatever it is, or do whatever it is over the summer only, so it won't conflict with you being successful in classes.

I don't mean to come off harsh in any way, just hoping to shed a bit of light on how the admissions side of things may view your application (even if it may not be a fair assessment).

Looking for advice!

I am a junior biology major with a minor in classics and economics. My cumulative GPA is about a 3.5 and my science GPA is about a 3.2. In terms of extra curricular activities, I am involved in a few clubs on campus, but I am a D1 athlete so I spend about 20 hours a week training. I haven't taken the GRE yet but I will be taking them this summer and will hopefully do well enough to balance out my below average GPA.

In terms of experience, I have over 100 hours of volunteer work at the local animal shelter. I spent one summer working as an animal care coordinator in a research lab where I didn't specifically conduct research but I was responsible for the husbandry of all the animals in the lab. Last summer I studied abroad in Belize and gained 150 hours of small, large, and exotic animal experience. We shadowed two veterinarians down there, both of which will write me LOR.

This summer I'm going to be working as a veterinary assistant to gain clinic hours.

Is there anything necessarily I am missing from my resume that I need to work towards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for advice!

I am a junior biology major with a minor in classics and economics. My cumulative GPA is about a 3.5 and my science GPA is about a 3.2. In terms of extra curricular activities, I am involved in a few clubs on campus, but I am a D1 athlete so I spend about 20 hours a week training. I haven't taken the GRE yet but I will be taking them this summer and will hopefully do well enough to balance out my below average GPA.

In terms of experience, I have over 100 hours of volunteer work at the local animal shelter. I spent one summer working as an animal care coordinator in a research lab where I didn't specifically conduct research but I was responsible for the husbandry of all the animals in the lab. Last summer I studied abroad in Belize and gained 150 hours of small, large, and exotic animal experience. We shadowed two veterinarians down there, both of which will write me LOR.

This summer I'm going to be working as a veterinary assistant to gain clinic hours.

Is there anything necessarily I am missing from my resume that I need to work towards?

Your GPA's are a bit on the low side, but many (including myself) get accepted with similar or lower cumulative/science GPA's. At this point I'd say focus on rocking out your GRE and last 36-45 semester units! Your experiences seem diverse and varied, but like STL said above...acceptances for average/below average academics based partly on unique experiences are often accompanied by an upward trend. I think if your last 36/45 (depending on the school) show that trend, you've got a good shot! Also,apply smartly! Different schools weigh certain aspects of an application heavier than others, so look into the schools you believe you will be a competitive applicant for.

Looking for advice!

Are you planning on applying this coming cycle? How much veterinary experience do you think you can get between now and then? Definitely make it a priority...I'd try to shoot for 500 hrs of experience at the very least...

What does your last 45 look like? A 3.5 cumulative isn't bad but a 3.2 science is low. I would definitely look at the schools you want to apply to and do so strategically.

The d1 athlete is something that makes you more diverse so that'll help.

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how to improve my application for this cycle. I am indecisive on whether I should apply this cycle or take a gap year to gain more experience

21 years old, female, Pennsylvania resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biology, Susquehanna University (Selinsgrove, PA)
Minor in Healthcare Studies

Current:
Cum GPA: 3.65
Science GPA:3.5

Veterinary Experience:
- 60 hours shadowing (small animal)
- **Currently was hired as an exam room technician assistant at a small animal practice - by the end of summer 2017 I am expecting to have approximately 700 hours

Animal Experience:
- 100 hours volunteering with SPCA Equine Program
- 556 hours working at a stable
- 713 hours working at Hanover Shoe Farms (Large race horse breeding facility)
- 23.5 hours volunteering at T&D's Cats of The World (Wild Animal Refugee) - hoping to volunteer some more*
- Couple hours volunteering at a farm and dog shelter through service fraternity

Research:
- 400 hours working with sea urchin cultures - observed fertilization and cell abnormalities

Extracurricular/Leadership:
- Member of Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity (minimum of 25 hours of service must be completed each semester)
- Memer/Treasurer/Co-Captain of English Equestrian Team
- Student Government Association - Class of 2018 Vice President and now Class of 2018 Representative
- Member & President of Alpha Lambda Delta First-Year Honor Society
- Student-Alumni Board - Student Representative
- Participated in LeaderShape (Leadership Conference)
- Member & Vice President of Animal Club
- Member of Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
- Biology Club
- Student Wellness Club

***Have not taken the GRE's yet, planning to in the beginning of Summer of 2017 after completing the spring semester

My two biggest concerns is veterinary experience - I am looking to possibly intern once a week over the summer as vet tech at Maryland Zoo. I also am planning to participate in UPenn's Summer VETS Program.

My other concern is applying as an OOS student - unfortunately as a PA resident, I do not get a break from tuition cost. I am not planning to apply to UPenn due to the cost.

Any advice or suggestions on how/where I can improve my application would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how to improve my application for this cycle. I am indecisive on whether I should apply this cycle or take a gap year to gain more experience

Degrees:

Current:

Veterinary Experience:
- **Currently was hired as an exam room technician assistant at a small animal practice - by the end of summer 2017 I am expecting to have approximately 700 hours

Animal Experience:
- 23.5 hours volunteering at T&D's Cats of The World (Wild Animal Refugee) - hoping to volunteer some more*
- Couple hours volunteering at a farm and dog shelter through service fraternity

Research:
- 400 hours working with sea urchin cultures - observed fertilization and cell abnormalities

- Member of Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity (minimum of 25 hours of service must be completed each semester)
- Student Government Association - Class of 2018 Vice President and now Class of 2018 Representative
- Biology Club
- Student Wellness Club

***Have not taken the GRE's yet, planning to in the beginning of Summer of 2017 after completing the spring semester

My two biggest concerns is veterinary experience - I am looking to possibly intern once a week over the summer as vet tech at Maryland Zoo. I also am planning to participate in UPenn's Summer VETS Program.

My other concern is applying as an OOS student - unfortunately as a PA resident, I do not get a break from tuition cost. I am not planning to apply to UPenn due to the cost.

Any advice or suggestions on how/where I can improve my application would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Your vet experience is fine, diversity is better, especially for some schools, but you just need to put enough hours in to show you know exactly what you're getting into. I personally had zero diversity, but I did fine. You simply have to show them that you can handle vet school. Your grades will show if you're ready academically and your vet experience is supposed to show if your ready to handle the brutal truths of the field.

I also was an OOS student everywhere, but I thought PA residents had IS tuition at UPenn? Is that not very good? Dealing with OOS tuition is tough, and you have to make sure you have a plan to deal with it. I applied to schools I felt I could get into based on acceptance criteria and based on OOS tuition. Some schools allow you to switch to IS tuition after the first year, but those tend to be very competitive. I believe those schools are Washington State, Davis, Ohio, Mizzou, NC State, and I might be missing one or two.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Degrees:

Current:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:

- Biology Club
- Student Wellness Club

I feel your pain! I'm also a PA/Philly resident. My best friend is in her fourth year at VA-MD vet school and she actually said it was cheaper for her to go OOS since not only is UPENN in state tuition (and mandatory fees) about 45k, but city living expenses are high too.

But I wanted to let you know that the Summer Vets Program at UPENN is great! I participated in it back in 2012. The plus is that they let you use 35 hours towards veterinary experience. Roseanne and Rob provide some great advice on your application as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Degrees:

Current:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:

- Biology Club
- Student Wellness Club

Your GPAs are fine. Have you taken the GRE yet? Hours might be an issue but if you think you can actually get to around 700 hours, probably less so. Lack of diversity won't hurt you at some schools but may at others, sonjust be smart where you apply. Research is always a plus to an application. I don't see any major issues that should keep you from applying this year:)

Your vet experience is fine, diversity is better, especially for some schools, but you just need to put enough hours in to show you know exactly what you're getting into. I personally had zero diversity, but I did fine. You simply have to show them that you can handle vet school. Your grades will show if you're ready academically and your vet experience is supposed to show if your ready to handle the brutal truths of the field.

I also was an OOS student everywhere, but I thought PA residents had IS tuition at UPenn? Is that not very good? Dealing with OOS tuition is tough, and you have to make sure you have a plan to deal with it. I applied to schools I felt I could get into based on acceptance criteria and based on OOS tuition. Some schools allow you to switch to IS tuition after the first year, but those tend to be very competitive. I believe those schools are Washington State, Davis, Ohio, Mizzou, NC State, and I might be missing one or two.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Yes, the tuition at Penn for OOS and IS is exactly the same, which is the frustrating part. And ironically read somewhere that 70% of accepted applicants are out of state (I don't know if that is true or not). Do you know what schools aren't as concerned about diversity with vet experience just in case I can only get experience with small animals?
Thanks!

I feel your pain! I'm also a PA/Philly resident. My best friend is in her fourth year at VA-MD vet school and she actually said it was cheaper for her to go OOS since not only is UPENN in state tuition (and mandatory fees) about 45k, but city living expenses are high too.

But I wanted to let you know that the Summer Vets Program at UPENN is great! I participated in it back in 2012. The plus is that they let you use 35 hours towards veterinary experience. Roseanne and Rob provide some great advice on your application as well.

Thanks so much! I was worried to spend the money on the program (it's a little expensive) and not get many benefits if I'm planning to apply to other vets schools since its obviously based on Penn's program

Yes, the tuition at Penn for OOS and IS is exactly the same, which is the frustrating part. And ironically read somewhere that 70% of accepted applicants are out of state (I don't know if that is true or not). Do you know what schools aren't as concerned about diversity with vet experience just in case I can only get experience with small animals?
Thanks!

the tuition for IS and OOS isn't the same. there is a $10,000 subsidy for instate students.

the tuition for IS and OOS isn't the same. there is a $10,000 subsidy for instate students.

You're right, my apologies. Either way, its the second most expensive school even though I am a resident.

Degrees:

Current:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:

- Biology Club
- Student Wellness Club

I would apply this year to maybe 5 schools you fit the prerequisites for and ones you have a chance of getting into. Make sure to rock the GRE when you take it. I would also try and get more diverse experience.

I would apply this year to maybe 5 schools you fit the prerequisites for and ones you have a chance of getting into. Make sure to rock the GRE when you take it. I would also try and get more diverse experience.

Other than looking at the prerequistes, what should I be looking at to figure out if I have "a chance."

Other than looking at the prerequistes, what should I be looking at to figure out if I have "a chance."

Average GPA, how much they value the GRE, average amount of experience, how much they value diversity of experience, number of OOS/IS students in a class, etc.

You could also look at the Successful Applicants page and see where people were accepted to with their stats. Obviously it's different for every applicant, but you can see a trend where people with different stats got in. That's what I used. I also used the VIN Cost of Attendance map to apply where it's cheaper.

The stats for each school.. Average accepted student cGPA, science GPA, last 45 GPA, GRE scores.. Number of IS and OOS students interviewed and accepted.

Just responding to the bolded. While Penn has high tuition costs, as do many other schools, cost of living in the city really is not bad AT ALL. Myself and a lot of people I know have actually already given some of our loan money back because what we were recommended to take vs. what we actually were using were vastly different. I totally get that it's an expensive school, but I just wanted to put it out there that it's not bad to live in the area around Penn at all.

Just responding to the bolded. While Penn has high tuition costs, as do many other schools, cost of living in the city really is not bad AT ALL. Myself and a lot of people I know have actually already given some of our loan money back because what we were recommended to take vs. what we actually were using were vastly different. I totally get that it's an expensive school, but I just wanted to put it out there that it's not bad to live in the area around Penn at all.

Yes, I can agree that rent in Philly is not that terrible. I'm a current Philadelphia resident. I use to live next to PennVet and then moved to South Philadelphia. Both rents being in the 600s. The expected cost of living on some school websites are a little over the usual. I found that VIN map pretty helpful.

Last edited:
I was going to make a separate thread for this, since I'm trying to specifically find people who were accepted/denies/wait listed by Oklahoma State University but decided to try here first. I also know there's the successful applicant thread, but it's hard to dig through there to find the people who just applied to the school(s) I need. But basically, what are my chances?

My GPA so far is a pitiful 2.98 which I can raise since I have about 1 more year of school left (3 semesters total if you want to count this upcoming spring). I am certain I can raise my GPA to at least a 3.2 before I leave. I'm unsure of my science GPA at this time but I think it's a 2.8, it could certainly be higher since I'm calculating it by hand and not adding in any pluses or minuses to the letter grades.

I have about 1,000 hours with large animal and small animal mixture experience, but only with a single veterinarian.

I have quite a few hundred hours of pet sitting, volunteering with local animal rescue groups, and other nonclinical animal handling experience but mainly with small animals.

I haven't taken the GREs yet but plan to do so very soon in order to give myself some wiggle room to retake if I fail it.

I currently work in the ER where I have been at for the past year, (vet clinics in my town are wary of hiring pre-vet students so unless you rub elbows with them and their family good luck getting a job and I really needed the money) and I have the director of the ER willing to give me a letter of recommendation (as well as a pretty famous doctor in my area also willing to give me a letter of recommendation), do you think that would be useful? I work as a medical scribe but I get a lot of patient interaction, even though it's just human patients. I'm also a clinical trainer for other medical scribes in my town and soon to be area.

I was going to make a separate thread for this, since I'm trying to specifically find people who were accepted/denies/wait listed by Oklahoma State University but decided to try here first. I also know there's the successful applicant thread, but it's hard to dig through there to find the people who just applied to the school(s) I need. But basically, what are my chances?

My GPA so far is a pitiful 2.98 which I can raise since I have about 1 more year of school left (3 semesters total if you want to count this upcoming spring). I am certain I can raise my GPA to at least a 3.2 before I leave. I'm unsure of my science GPA at this time but I think it's a 2.8, it could certainly be higher since I'm calculating it by hand and not adding in any pluses or minuses to the letter grades.

I have about 1,000 hours with large animal and small animal mixture experience, but only with a single veterinarian.

I have quite a few hundred hours of pet sitting, volunteering with local animal rescue groups, and other nonclinical animal handling experience but mainly with small animals.

I haven't taken the GREs yet but plan to do so very soon in order to give myself some wiggle room to retake if I fail it.

I currently work in the ER where I have been at for the past year, (vet clinics in my town are wary of hiring pre-vet students so unless you rub elbows with them and their family good luck getting a job and I really needed the money) and I have the director of the ER willing to give me a letter of recommendation (as well as a pretty famous doctor in my area also willing to give me a letter of recommendation), do you think that would be useful? I work as a medical scribe but I get a lot of patient interaction, even though it's just human patients. I'm also a clinical trainer for other medical scribes in my town and soon to be area.

I don't know anything in particular about Oklahoma State, but if you go to the successful applicant threads and search, you can check a box for "this thread only" and type in "Oklahoma" and you'll only get results for people mentioning Oklahoma.

Reactions: 2 users

This is when I tag @cdoconn

She may be able to give some insight here...

Reactions: 2 users

Oklahoma is my in-state and I applied for class of 2020, got denied sadly, my stats were around a 3.2 at the time I applied and I did not get an interview invite. I remember admission telling me in my file review that 2.8 is the cut off for the first phase but if you are on the lower side GPA wise you need to be stronger in other areas like experience and GRE. And any retakes you have are averaged not replaced and depending on the way they calculate it can drop/bring up your GPA some.
I have some friends that were OOS that were waitlisted and accepted as well if you want opinions all around.
Are you IS or OOS?

Last edited:
hey! I'm happy to hear you're applying to OkState! It's my undergrad and I love it a lot, and I applied to the vet school as well, so I should be able to answer any questions. If not @twelvetigers recently graduated from OkState and @alohacat319 is in her 2nd(?) year.

I was going to make a separate thread for this, since I'm trying to specifically find people who were accepted/denies/wait listed by Oklahoma State University but decided to try here first.
There's actually already an Oklahoma State 2021 thread as well as an Oklahoma State 2020 (etc, etc) thread! If you'll check the 2020 thread, it can tell you lots of information as far as who was accepted!

But basically, what are my chances?
This really just depends on IS vs OOS. If you have a 3.2 while IS, it's not as bad, but if it's OOS, it's going to be a lot harder.

Once again, this depends IS vs OOS. There's a table on the OSU website that gives statistics you might find useful!!

Oklahoma is my in-state and I applied for class of 2020, got denied sadly, my stats were around a 3.2 at the time I applied and I did not get an interview invite. I remember admission telling me in my file review that 2.8 is the cut off for the first phase but if you are on the lower side GPA wise you need to be stronger in other areas like experience and GRE. And any retakes you have are averaged not replaced and depending on the way they calculate it can drop/bring up your GPA some.
I have some friends that were OOS that were waitlisted and accepted as well if you want opinions all around.
Are you IS or OOS?

I'm an IS student about to apply.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.PNG
    IMG_0545.PNG
    74.8 KB · Views: 52
Hey y'all - hoping you can tear me apart and tell me in no uncertain terms what my chances are if I apply this cycle. Many, many thanks in advance.

25 years old, female, Texas resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Finance, B.A. in Economics, University of Maryland, College Park

Current:
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 4.0 (I'm taking my science courses now, after already completing my two undergrad degrees.)

Veterinary Experience:
- 60 hours (so far) Receptionist/Vet Assistant at local animal shelter's vet clinic. Plan to work there for awhile so hoping to build up at least 1000 hours.

Animal Experience:
- 100+ hours volunteering at animal shelter in various positions (cat assessment team, dog walker, surgical recovery)
- 500+ hours working at a stable
- 1000+ hours horse back riding

GREs:
165 V, 161 Q. I just took it today and plan to take again (if y'all think I need to) since I had a cold and was hopped up on Nyquil.

Biggest concerns:
Undergrad GPA. Biggest weakness is I have always been able to slide by without having to study, do hw, etc., so I skated through undergrad without a care in the world. Also had some personal family stuff that came up which made me even less focused. Fast forward 3 years and I'm kicking myself. Hoping my science GPA helps to balance this.
Veterinary experience. Maybe it's because I'm out of school, but not sure how to go about getting varied experience. The place I currently am working is freaking awesome as it's the first no kill shelter in a major city, so they take a lot of innovative approaches to save as many lives as possible, including letting volunteers do routine things such as give vaccines. But it's small animal only, and I'm still technically just a receptionist. But it's still great experience. (But but but...) How did y'all find other vets to shadow who weren't annoyed by your presence?

Being out of school now and doing this on my own (i.e. without advisors), I'm worried I'm going to miss something as well. *Sigh*. Any reassurance (or honest criticism) is very much welcome.

Hey y'all - hoping you can tear me apart and tell me in no uncertain terms what my chances are if I apply this cycle. Many, many thanks in advance.

Degrees:

Current:
Science GPA: 4.0 (I'm taking my science courses now, after already completing my two undergrad degrees.)

Veterinary Experience:
- 60 hours (so far) Receptionist/Vet Assistant at local animal shelter's vet clinic. Plan to work there for awhile so hoping to build up at least 1000 hours.

Animal Experience:
- 100+ hours volunteering at animal shelter in various positions (cat assessment team, dog walker, surgical recovery)

GREs:
165 V, 161 Q. I just took it today and plan to take again (if y'all think I need to) since I had a cold and was hopped up on Nyquil.

Biggest concerns:
Undergrad GPA. Biggest weakness is I have always been able to slide by without having to study, do hw, etc., so I skated through undergrad without a care in the world. Also had some personal family stuff that came up which made me even less focused. Fast forward 3 years and I'm kicking myself. Hoping my science GPA helps to balance this.
Veterinary experience. Maybe it's because I'm out of school, but not sure how to go about getting varied experience. The place I currently am working is freaking awesome as it's the first no kill shelter in a major city, so they take a lot of innovative approaches to save as many lives as possible, including letting volunteers do routine things such as give vaccines. But it's small animal only, and I'm still technically just a receptionist. But it's still great experience. (But but but...) How did y'all find other vets to shadow who weren't annoyed by your presence?

Being out of school now and doing this on my own (i.e. without advisors), I'm worried I'm going to miss something as well. *Sigh*. Any reassurance (or honest criticism) is very much welcome.

Where all are you thinking about applying? What is your last 45?

While a 3.2 is on the low side, that 4.0 science GPA is stellar. I would look hard at schools that favor sci/last 45 GPA. There are even schools that don't look at cumulative GPA at all and you'd prob have a good shot at those if your last 45 is equally good. Your experience hours are low, so if I were you I would really work at getting as many hours as possible. If you could get to at least 500-ish hours, I think you'd be in better shape. Those are really good GRE scores, definitely nothing to be upset about there.

I was really really lucky to find a vet who was enthusiastic about me as a student from day one and has since become a wonderful mentor and friend. You have have to fine the right vet. They are definitely out there!

Don't forget to think about letters for rec. Most schools require at least one from a veterinarian...start thinking about who you want to write them for you!

Summary: look into schools that favor sci/last 45 GPA and get more experience and I think you'll have a decent shot:)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Where all are you thinking about applying? What is your last 45?

While a 3.2 is on the low side, that 4.0 science GPA is stellar. I would look hard at schools that favor sci/last 45 GPA. There are even schools that don't look at cumulative GPA at all and you'd prob have a good shot at those if your last 45 is equally good. Your experience hours are low, so if I were you I would really work at getting as many hours as possible. If you could get to at least 500-ish hours, I think you'd be in better shape. Those are really good GRE scores, definitely nothing to be upset about there.

I was really really lucky to find a vet who was enthusiastic about me as a student from day one and has since become a wonderful mentor and friend. You have have to fine the right vet. They are definitely out there!

Don't forget to think about letters for rec. Most schools require at least one from a veterinarian...start thinking about who you want to write them for you!

Summary: look into schools that favor sci/last 45 GPA and get more experience and I think you'll have a decent shot:)

Good luck!

Thank you for responding! Yeah, my undergrad GPA is a bummer. I'd like to go back and kick myself in the derriere, but can't change the past right? Don't know my last 45 off the top of my head because undergrad was a few years ago, but when I'm finished with these science classes that'll pretty much cover it.

Def working on the experience portion, I'm working at a shelter clinic now and one of the vets has been super encouraging and thinks I'm doing a good job, so hoping I can shadow her a bit more (as well as get a letter of recommendation).

Thank you again!! Your response was in line with what I was thinking, so glad to get that confirmed. Makes me feel a bit more confident :)

Degrees:

Current:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

GREs:

Biggest concerns:

Hi there I totally feel you on the undergrad GPA, mine was lower than yours! But my science GPA was high (like yours) and my last 45 was perfect because I went back to take my prerequisites and that was more than enough for my last 45. I have an acceptance from Kansas State University and interviews for 4 more schools! You can too. Some schools really focus on cumulative GPA while others really focus on science and last 45. Kansas and Davis for example only look at your last 45 and science. They don't even consider your cumulative. That's a huge bonus for people like us! Other schools like Iowa look at all three to weight it out equally, which helps. You get that experience you need, and you'll be fine. Just apply smart! Research what schools are looking for academically, and apply where you have the best shot!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi there I totally feel you on the undergrad GPA, mine was lower than yours! But my science GPA was high (like your) and my last 45 was perfect because I went back to take my prerequisites and that was more than enough for my last 45. I have an acceptance from Kansas State University and interviews for 4 more schools! You can too. Some schools really focus on cumulative GPA while others really focus on science and last 45. Kansas and Davis for example only look at your last 45 and science. They don't even consider your cumulative. That's a huge bonus for people like us! Other schools like Iowa look at all three to weight it out equally, which helps. You get that experience you need, and you'll be fine. Just apply smart! Research what schools are looking for academically, and apply where you have the best shot!

Ahh that's a relief to hear! Thank you! And congrats!

because undergrad was a few years ago, but when I'm finished with these science classes that'll pretty much cover it.
Just wanted to point this out, how long ago was undergrad? Some schools require that specific pre requisites be taken within X amount of years of acceptance- OkState is 8 I believe. Other than that, experience is low (obviously) so bring that up as you can. Volunteer/ shadow different vets on the weekend if you can! A lot of normal clinics aren't open Saturday, but there are many that are and there's also emergency clinics!

GRE is good, you shouldn't have to worry about retaking that. Cum GPA is low, but like you said, nothing you can do about it now. What about your last 45 hours or your prerequisite GPA? That could really make/ break you.

Degrees:

Current:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

GREs:

Biggest concerns:

Hey, I'm in a pretty similar situation as you. GPA from undergrad (degree was in computer science so I didn't have any of the science pre-reqs taken other than math) was a little over 3.0, but postbac/science/last 45 around 3.9.

Your GRE is great! I feel like retaking a GRE with those scores would just be a waste of money unless you are sure you can bump up your Q score a significant amount (its currently 5-6 points higher than the average accepted student, so I wouldn't even worry about it)

Like others have said, you should focus on applying to schools that look more at last 45 & science GPAs rather than cGPA.

I've already gotten an acceptance from Michigan State (who only looks at science GPA, last 36 GPA & GRE scores), and have a interview invite at Virginia tech next week. Not sure if you are looking to apply to UK schools, but I did not have any luck with edinburgh or glasgow. They both just flat out denied me, and I feel they mostly look at cGPA more than anything else.

In terms of veterinary experience, I would try to get more hands on / varied experience. You mentioned you live in a major city, so getting large animal experience might be difficult, but maybe there is an equine clinic in the city / right outside that would let you shadow. Other than that you can try for emergency clinics / wildlife places or even try getting some experience at a research institute.

I didn't retake anything, my undergrad was in statistics, so the only science class I had completed was physics (and math if required).
Ohhh okay. See I've got a couple B's in prerequisites and one C, so I was debating retaking (prerequisites GPA 3.45 ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.