This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this from a purely objective standpoint, you can look at impact factors for journals you would imagine posting in for human medicine vs. veterinary medicine and see what the differences are. I will let you handle that one on your own, and you can draw your own conclusions.
Ah, I was thinking a bit differently. But yes, such is the ways of publication. Hopefully the entire impact factor system gets rehauled in our lifetime

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at this from a purely objective standpoint, you can look at impact factors for journals you would imagine posting in for human medicine vs. veterinary medicine and see what the differences are. I will let you handle that one on your own, and you can draw your own conclusions.

This.

To further piggyback off THIS lol, there's definitely a difference in research impact between MD and and DVM dual degrees...which can matter depending on future goals

This is a fun game of leapfrog that we're playing. :laugh:

To piggyback off of THIS, this difference in impact then ties back into the funding issue. I know with my work, I have a translational focus to it, and am applying what I find to the human medical world as best I can - but it's an uphill battle sometimes to explain why the vet med side should matter (when talking to people who are human med focused). Funding is always an uphill battle anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a fun game of leapfrog that we're playing. :laugh:

To piggyback off of THIS, this difference in impact then ties back into the funding issue. I know with my work, I have a translational focus to it, and am applying what I find to the human medical world as best I can - but it's an uphill battle sometimes to explain why the vet med side should matter (when talking to people who are human med focused). Funding is always an uphill battle anyway.
Sigh. I wish the system favored holistic science and medicine (not in the fake medicine way). It's so obvious that's how the real world works, so we should fund appropriately...or at least more so than we do now.

Sigh. I wish the system favored holistic science and medicine (not in the fake medicine way). It's so obvious that's how the real world works, so we should fund appropriately...or at least more so than we do now.
The government was moving in the right direction. My NIH fellowship is a One Health teaching grant. The government was trying to encourage and foster the idea of One Health and the inclusions of each of the disciplines to work in a collaborative manner, and give big money grants to those types of grants. Now? :shrug:

However, I don't think in my lifetime will I see the impact factors of veterinary journals compete with those of medical journals. I really want to be proven wrong, I am just not optimistic about it.

The government was moving in the right direction. My NIH fellowship is a One Health teaching grant. The government was trying to encourage and foster the idea of One Health and the inclusions of each of the disciplines to work in a collaborative manner, and give big money grants to those types of grants. Now? :shrug:

However, I don't think in my lifetime will I see the impact factors of veterinary journals compete with those of medical journals. I really want to be proven wrong, I am just not optimistic about it.
I didn't know until I posted here that One Health was an official thing! Glad to learn something new.

And I hope you're proven wrong as well.

Agreed. I work in a human medicine lab and when I talked to them about research directions in vet school NONE of them had even heard of One Health. They kind of scoffed at it when I explained.. so.. there's a long way to go :/ Or maybe I need to learn how to explain it better hah
There is some hope. We work really closely with WashU med school, and both the student body and faculty are very receptive to the idea of one health, and our two programs are intimately linked (there is even a joint award where whenever we collaborate with them on a one health project through NIH, we get a 10% bonus on top of the amount granted).

But there are so many places where human medicine people are not aware about one health, or are not necessarily against it - but not quite for it either. It will be a slow process, but our goal is to start educating more of the masses earlier. Heck, there is even work on a children's book right now to allow kids to help embrace the one health concept.

Looking for some advice and figured this would be the best place to post... I've always been scared to post my stats but finally gonna bite the bullet lol

So I was rejected by every school I applied to this cycle besides Ross. I'm not really worried about the quality of education there as I have honestly heard great things and know some amazing vets that came out of Ross, just worried about the cost and quality of life on the island. What do you guys think? Should I attend Ross or do you think I have a chance if I take a gap year and re-apply to U.S schools? Here are my stats:

21 year old female, NY resident, attend highly regarded undergrad institution
B.S in Animal Science, minor in Business expected May 2017
Applied and got rejected from: Cornell (IS), Penn, Tufts, Auburn, Purdue
Accepted: Ross
Next cycle will probably apply to: Cornell, Tufts, Auburn, Illinois, Mizzou, LMU (any other ideas?)

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.4
last 45: presently a 3.7, last cycle it was a 3.3

GRE: 154 V, 157 Q, 4.5 W (would definitely retake if I re-apply)

Veterinary experience:
- 800+ hrs small animal GP and emergency (and counting...)
- 200 hrs equine emergency referral hospital
(Trying to get exotics experience for next cycle)

Animal experience:
- 10,000+ hrs equine (competitive horseback riding, working at barns, volunteer at therapeutic riding facility, etc.)
- 150 hrs food animal (dairy cows, sheep, chickens, pigs: from multiple hands-on classes I've taken, includes blood draws, physical exams, handling, etc)
- Pet ownership for entire life

Research: none (no time between school, working at SA clinic, and being a varsity athlete)

Extracurriculars:
- Varsity Athlete and VP of marketing on equestrian team (thousands of hours accumulated over 4 years), took up A LOT of my time
- Teaching assistant for two animal science classes
- Pre-vet club
- Sorority that is very involved in philanthropy

Other employment:
- Office assistant in a medical office, made lots of phone calls (people experience)

Awards:
- Dean's list for 4 semesters
- Ivy League Individual Champion for equestrian
- AP Awards in high school
- Various other academic awards in high school

LORs: Two SA vets I've worked for, my equestrian team coach, and my academic advisor/professor of two classes I've taken and done well in

Looking for some advice and figured this would be the best place to post... I've always been scared to post my stats but finally gonna bite the bullet lol

So I was rejected by every school I applied to this cycle besides Ross. I'm not really worried about the quality of education there as I have honestly heard great things and know some amazing vets that came out of Ross, just worried about the cost and quality of life on the island. What do you guys think? Should I attend Ross or do you think I have a chance if I take a gap year and re-apply to U.S schools? Here are my stats:

Next cycle will probably apply to: Cornell, Tufts, Auburn, Illinois, Mizzou, LMU (any other ideas?)

Veterinary experience:

Animal experience:
- 10,000+ hrs equine (competitive horseback riding, working at barns, volunteer at therapeutic riding facility, etc.)
- 150 hrs food animal (dairy cows, sheep, chickens, pigs: from multiple hands-on classes I've taken, includes blood draws, physical exams, handling, etc)

Research: none (no time between school, working at SA clinic, and being a varsity athlete)

Extracurriculars:
- Varsity Athlete and VP of marketing on equestrian team (thousands of hours accumulated over 4 years), took up A LOT of my time
- Pre-vet club

Other employment:
- Office assistant in a medical office, made lots of phone calls (people experience)

Awards:

LORs: Two SA vets I've worked for, my equestrian team coach, and my academic advisor/professor of two classes I've taken and done well in

I think it all depends on what you'd be happy with...personally, I know that Island life would not be for me, other people love it. I think you definitely have a shot if you reapply...especially with the improvement to your last 45. Do some research about what the different schools value and apply strategically! Your GRE scores aren't bad, but I would retake and see if you can't raise your scores to offset your slightly below average cumulative GPA.

Veterinary experience:

Animal experience:

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-vet club

Other employment:

Awards:

I could be wrong, but doesn't Ross let you defer a year for any reason? If so, no risk in deferring and trying again for a cheaper state side school. For sure you will get a great education either way, but cost should always be a factor. With your jump in last 45 gpa, I don't think it's a bad idea, plus it gives you a year to save money and be financially better prepared no matter where you end up. Focus on schools that weigh last 45 over cumulative, and you've got a decent shot imo.

EDIT: retake the gre and use magoosh!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Veterinary experience:

Animal experience:

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-vet club

Other employment:

Awards:

So I guess here is a question I have, and I think your answer might decide what you are going to do in this situation. When you were applying for schools, why did you choose Ross to apply to?

My two cents: if you never got into another school, would you feel okay with rejecting your spot at Ross. Realistically, your stats look fairly average, possibly a touch below, but you have an upward trend which is favorable. I would expect that you would likely get into at least 1 or 2 schools the next time around, depending on how you applied to schools, if you are productive in the time leading up to your next cycle, etc. but a school like Ross is not going to forget that you turned them down, so it may be unlikely that you would get accepted again.

Just some things to think about :)

Reactions: 2 users
What are my chances for a school like NC State (NC resident) with these stats? Also need help compiling a school list. I had originally wanted to pursue a PhD but had a recent change of heart and want to go a more clinical route... so I'm behind on the planning. Will take a gap year after my MS.

Major: Biology with minors in Chem and Neuro
Currently enrolled in a Neuroscience Master's program with 1 year left (GPA: 4.0 so far)

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.6
Last 45 hours: around a 3.5 for undergrad

GRE: 159V/157Q/5.0 (didn't study before taking this since I was stupid and scheduled it right after the holidays thinking that I would study, so could easily retake if I needed to)

Experience:
450 hours shadowing in various clinical areas
National level competitor in dog sports (not sure how to quantify the hours but I'd say over 10,000 for sure)
I work as a professional dog trainer part time
3 years working in a lab with 1 poster, 1 undergrad journal pub, 1 3rd author paper, and hopefully 1 more first author paper before I graduate
Honors thesis in undergrad, will have a thesis for my MS
Nominated for an English departmental writing award
Dean's list every semester in undergrad

What are my chances for a school like NC State (NC resident) with these stats? Also need help compiling a school list. I had originally wanted to pursue a PhD but had a recent change of heart and want to go a more clinical route... so I'm behind on the planning. Will take a gap year after my MS.

Major: Biology with minors in Chem and Neuro
Currently enrolled in a Neuroscience Master's program with 1 year left (GPA: 4.0 so far)

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.6
Last 45 hours: around a 3.5 for undergrad

GRE: 159V/157Q/5.0 (didn't study before taking this since I was stupid and scheduled it right after the holidays thinking that I would study, so could easily retake if I needed to)

Experience:
450 hours shadowing in various clinical areas
National level competitor in dog sports (not sure how to quantify the hours but I'd say over 10,000 for sure)
I work as a professional dog trainer part time
3 years working in a lab with 1 poster, 1 undergrad journal pub, 1 3rd author paper, and hopefully 1 more first author paper before I graduate
Honors thesis in undergrad, will have a thesis for my MS
Nominated for an English departmental writing award
Dean's list every semester in undergrad

Use your gap year to gain more experience in equine, large animal, and small animal medicine. The 450 hrs is a good baseline, but personally, my shadowing experience was much different from actually working in a clinic. Also, not just in your case but for everyone else as well, the adcoms like to see things different than vet med. I was a camp counselor for a program called STAR about 7 years ago, which was basically a summer camp for autistic children. Got asked about it in my interview. I didn't get asked about anything I did in the clinic I work at currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious if anyone can give me some insight of my chances for vet school and how to improve over the next year. Also, what schools I might wanna look at based on my stats. I will soon be a FL resident.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA:*3.58 just recalculated, if that includes marine science classes. Still need to take biochem.org/inorg
Last 45: 3.9

Graduate degree: 3.9

My major was Marine Science with a minor in Biology. I then completed a Masters in Marine Biology with a focus on animal care.

GRE: 151/151/3.5 I plan on retaking. I never studied and I took it while in school and working 2 jobs.

Vet Experience

300 hours: assisting vet with sea lion blood draws, restraint, X-rays
10 hours: Manatee blood draws, administered oxygen

Animal Experience

1200 Hours: Animal care for sea lions (some dolphins)
500 hours: Aquarist (caring for rays, turtles, and other fish) and working in lab
40 hours: Cat area in shelter
20 hours : Necropsies with Marine Animal Rescue Society

I am working on becoming a vet assistant and applied for a vet internship. I know I need more experience with LA and SA.

Research Experience

300 hours: Masters thesis on stereotypic behavior in captivity (animal welfare)
20 hours: Dolphin surveys
100 hours: Dolphin and sea lion cognitive studies

Other work experience:

3 years part time administrative assistant
1.5 years Fellow at U.S Environmental Protection Agency
5 months Director of Programs at Environmental related non profit

Also any thought on being a non traditional student- I will be 26 soon.

Last edited:
Thanks! Should I post it there or just look through other convos? Im new on here.
Feel free to do both! People will reply to you whenever they can if you post there, but you can also scroll through other people's questions to see if they have similar stats or issues.

Use your gap year to gain more experience in equine, large animal, and small animal medicine. The 450 hrs is a good baseline, but personally, my shadowing experience was much different from actually working in a clinic. Also, not just in your case but for everyone else as well, the adcoms like to see things different than vet med. I was a camp counselor for a program called STAR about 7 years ago, which was basically a summer camp for autistic children. Got asked about it in my interview. I didn't get asked about anything I did in the clinic I work at currently.

Thank you! Good to know. I was going to apply to work in a wildlife rehab. center for the summer where I would work with a vet.

I have done some volunteering in a free clinic as well as teaching refugees ESL but wasn't sure of the relevance. :)

I'm also considering applying to medical schools- is this a bad thing? I don't prefer one over the other necessarily. I just want that direct patient interaction and I love working directly with both people and animals. I'd honestly be happy in either field.

Thank you! Good to know. I was going to apply to work in a wildlife rehab. center for the summer where I would work with a vet.

I have done some volunteering in a free clinic as well as teaching refugees ESL but wasn't sure of the relevance. :)

I'm also considering applying to medical schools- is this a bad thing? I don't prefer one over the other necessarily. I just want that direct patient interaction and I love working directly with both people and animals. I'd honestly be happy in either field.

If that's the case, go to medical school! If you would be happy in that profession, you will be making more than double the amount a veterinarian makes and you'll be able to pay off your loans. And no, it's not a bad thing. My back up plan is to become a PA or NP :)

And if you still apply to vet school, put anything down that you feel enhances your application, medicine related or not. They really want a well rounded human being, not a machine that is ONLY focused on having the veterinary field be their entire life, career, and hobby.

I am curious if anyone can give me some insight of my chances for vet school and how to improve over the next year. Also what schools I may want to look more into. I will soon be a FL state resident.

B.S Coastal Carolina University

sGPA: 3.45ish (I think), but I still need to take some chem classes

University of Miami- Graduate degree: 3.9

My major was Marine Science with a minor in Biology. I then completed a Masters in Marine Biology with a focus on animal care.

GRE: 151/151/3.5 I plan on retaking. I never studied and I took it while in school and working 2 jobs.

Vet Experience

Animal Experience

500 hours: Aquarist (caring for rays, turtles, and other fish) and working in lab

I am working on becoming a vet assistant and applied for a vet internship. I know I need more experience with LA and SA.

Research Experience

Other work experience:

I want to work with sea lions!! I would do what you said you plan on doing: more small animal and large animal experience :) Look into schools that are the cheapest for you.

I am curious if anyone can give me some insight of my chances for vet school and how to improve over the next year. Also what schools I may want to look more into. I will soon be a FL state resident.

B.S Coastal Carolina University

sGPA: 3.45ish (I think), but I still need to take some chem classes

University of Miami- Graduate degree: 3.9

Vet Experience

Animal Experience

Research Experience

Other work experience:

You're off to a good start! Your cGPA is good and your last 45 is very good. Your science GPA is okay- make sure to do well in your chem classes to bring it up!

More small/large animal veterinary experience will definitely help. You didn't mention any extracurriculars, but if you have any non-animal volunteering or other activities, that would be nice too.

As for which schools to apply to, look at tuition costs first! You'll want to apply in-state of course, and then look at other schools with lower than average OOS tuition. The sticky thread "Estimated Costs of Veterinary School" is helpful and I really like the VIN Cost of Education map. Your stats are good and if you continue to improve over the next year, I don't think you need to worry so much about which schools emphasize which parts of an application.

You're off to a good start! Your cGPA is good and your last 45 is very good. Your science GPA is okay- make sure to do well in your chem classes to bring it up!

More small/large animal veterinary experience will definitely help. You didn't mention any extracurriculars, but if you have any non-animal volunteering or other activities, that would be nice too.

As for which schools to apply to, look at tuition costs first! You'll want to apply in-state of course, and then look at other schools with lower than average OOS tuition. The sticky thread "Estimated Costs of Veterinary School" is helpful and I really like the VIN Cost of Education map. Your stats are good and if you continue to improve over the next year, I don't think you need to worry so much about which schools emphasize which parts of an application.

Thank you! do you know if the science GPA takes into account all of your science classes or just the required prereqs?

If that's the case, go to medical school! If you would be happy in that profession, you will be making more than double the amount a veterinarian makes and you'll be able to pay off your loans. And no, it's not a bad thing. My back up plan is to become a PA or NP :)

And if you still apply to vet school, put anything down that you feel enhances your application, medicine related or not. They really want a well rounded human being, not a machine that is ONLY focused on having the veterinary field be their entire life, career, and hobby.

@dogsarefun this can't be emphasized enough. Veterinary medicine and human medicine are very, very different fields. If you feel that you have truly explored both and have no preference, go for human medicine because of the tremendous financial difference.

There's no sense in applying to both. Take some time, think about what you really want, and get more experience. You'll need more experience to apply for vet school anyway (and for med school + studying for the MCAT if that's what you decide) and then pick one and go for it 100%.

Thank you! do you know if the science GPA takes into account all of your science classes or just the required prereqs?

It depends on the school- they'll tell you on their website generally. If it just says "science GPA," that's the VMCAS science GPA and the courses included in it are on the VMCAS website (pretty much what you'd expect- bio, chem, animal science, physics, etc.). Some schools instead look at just pre-reqs or some other group of classes they choose.

I am curious if anyone can give me some insight of my chances for vet school and how to improve over the next year. Also, what schools I might wanna look at based on my stats. I will soon be a FL resident.

Seriously so jealous you got to work with sea lions and manatees! :love: If you don't mind me asking how and where did you get such cool experience?

If you are planning to apply out of state, I would look for schools that accept a larger number of OOS applicants. Some schools only accept around 20 OOS and the rest is IS, so chances are slim.

Hi everyone!!!! I was hoping I could have some help/advice for my current situation.

I applied this cycle for the second time (technically third, but I just applied to VMRCM the first time around since that's where I went to undergrad, and my grades were super below average for the vet med world at that time...needless to say I didn't get in!! And last cycle I applied all wrong. I just did.) and am trying to figure out these next few steps. I am waitlisted at 2 schools so far, Midwestern and Kansas (OOS). I haven't heard back from Illinois (OOS), but that's likely a waitlist too (according to what people are saying on the Illinois thread! Again, I am waiting until I hear, but I also was not too happy about that interview). I also interviewed at LMU and haven't heard anything yet. So it's been the ultimate waiting game for me. I already graduated college and I'm working in a field separate from vet med (I was trying to gain residency in VA, but didn't get into VMRCM, funny how that goes!!). Basically, the point of that is that my grades (low, 3.3 and then last 45 are good) won't change if I were to reapply. Am I premature to start thinking about all of this since waitlists do move? I guess I'm just looking for suggestions from all of you during this waiting game! I know that animal experience is great to update the vet schools with, but again that's a little limited for me because of my current job/I just got foot surgery. But if I wait too long then I won't be able to make my application stellar for next cycle, if I decide to do that.

Any advice would be amazing!! Thanks everyone :clap:

Hi everyone!!!! I was hoping I could have some help/advice for my current situation.

I applied this cycle for the second time (technically third, but I just applied to VMRCM the first time around since that's where I went to undergrad, and my grades were super below average for the vet med world at that time...needless to say I didn't get in!! And last cycle I applied all wrong. I just did.) and am trying to figure out these next few steps. I am waitlisted at 2 schools so far, Midwestern and Kansas (OOS). I haven't heard back from Illinois (OOS), but that's likely a waitlist too (according to what people are saying on the Illinois thread! Again, I am waiting until I hear, but I also was not too happy about that interview). I also interviewed at LMU and haven't heard anything yet. So it's been the ultimate waiting game for me. I already graduated college and I'm working in a field separate from vet med (I was trying to gain residency in VA, but didn't get into VMRCM, funny how that goes!!). Basically, the point of that is that my grades (low, 3.3 and then last 45 are good) won't change if I were to reapply. Am I premature to start thinking about all of this since waitlists do move? I guess I'm just looking for suggestions from all of you during this waiting game! I know that animal experience is great to update the vet schools with, but again that's a little limited for me because of my current job/I just got foot surgery. But if I wait too long then I won't be able to make my application stellar for next cycle, if I decide to do that.

Always be working to improve your application for the next cycle, even though I'm feeling good about your chances on the waitlists (and the other schools you haven't heard from) but until you get that acceptance letter just keep pushing to better yourself. Vet experiences, animal experiences, volunteer and leadership experiences. All of it is important. Just do what you can, it looks like you know what you can do, so just do whatever you can. Best of luck on those waitlists!

Reactions: 1 users
Always be working to improve your application for the next cycle, even though I'm feeling good about your chances on the waitlists (and the other schools you haven't heard from) but until you get that acceptance letter just keep pushing to better yourself. Vet experiences, animal experiences, volunteer and leadership experiences. All of it is important. Just do what you can, it looks like you know what you can do, so just do whatever you can. Best of luck on those waitlists!

Thanks for the positivity! That's what I'm thinking for now. I guess I'm just worried that I should be exploring other paths, like graduate school, or if it's too early for that. It's always good to have a plan B, and I'm struggling with what mine is!!

Thanks for the positivity! That's what I'm thinking for now. I guess I'm just worried that I should be exploring other paths, like graduate school, or if it's too early for that. It's always good to have a plan B, and I'm struggling with what mine is!!

Absolutely! I know plenty of people who's plan B turned out to be the best thing possible for them. I would ask if you would continue on this path even if you got all rejections? (even though I know you did not) What would you do? What other careers interest you? I only chose this path personally because I tried and failed to happy doing anything else. Personally I think soul searching should be a requirement for vet school ;).

Absolutely! I know plenty of people who's plan B turned out to be the best thing possible for them. I would ask if you would continue on this path even if you got all rejections? (even though I know you did not) What would you do? What other careers interest you? I only chose this path personally because I tried and failed to happy doing anything else. Personally I think soul searching should be a requirement for vet school ;).

It's true, I totally agree that soul searching is part of it! It's funny, I have thought of med school, but only for a little bit. It's just not the same to me as vet med, which I'm sure everyone here can understand!!

I think the old adage is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Work on improving your application even if you have a great chance of getting in off a waitlist, especially because many of the things you would do to improve an app can help with personal and professional growth and in the grand scheme of things often aren't too bad to do. If you don't get in off a waitlist you'll likely already be quite deep into the upcoming VMCAS cycle (especially since people can be pulled off waitlists as late as August) and feel pressured about your ability to make substantial improvements to your app before it's due again.

I think the old adage is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Work on improving your application even if you have a great chance of getting in off a waitlist, especially because many of the things you would do to improve an app can help with personal and professional growth and in the grand scheme of things often aren't too bad to do. If you don't get in off a waitlist you'll likely already be quite deep into the upcoming VMCAS cycle (especially since people can be pulled off waitlists as late as August) and feel pressured about your ability to make substantial improvements to your app before it's due again.

Thanks, that's good advice! Hopefully in April I can talk to some of these schools to get an idea of what I can do to improve. I guess I feel stuck because I did get the interviews this time around... so since that's the case they did like something on my application to give me that shot, lol. But the schools should give me a good idea during a file review. An application can always improve!!!

Thanks, that's good advice! Hopefully in April I can talk to some of these schools to get an idea of what I can do to improve. I guess I feel stuck because I did get the interviews this time around... so since that's the case they did like something on my application to give me that shot, lol. But the schools should give me a good idea during a file review. An application can always improve!!!

If you got interviews you are definitely close. Schools only interview people they are interested in...do the file reviews (and do what they tell you to do) and you'll be in good shape

If you got interviews you are definitely close. Schools only interview people they are interested in...do the file reviews (and do what they tell you to do) and you'll be in good shape

That was going to be my first step! I just am worried because again not much has changed this year to last (in terms of app stuff) but there is still time!

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and have been reading everyone's posts, which have been very informative and insightful! Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted to a DVM program so far! I figured I would join in and hopefully get some insight/advice on how I can be a more competitive applicant, seeing I have applied three times to vet school with no luck so far. It's certainly not easy and downright frustrating! However, I am determined to keep improving my application.

Here are my stats:

29 years old. North Carolina resident.

Graduated in 2013 with a B.S. in Biomedical Science and Microbiology minor.

Overall GPA: 3.28
Science: 3.16
Last 45: 3.49

GRE: V: 148; Q: 149; W: 4.5

I'm retaking my GRE this summer (after I devote 3+ months studying for it.) I took it back in 2013 after working that day, which wasn't very wise, and honestly did not put much into studying for it back then. Lesson learned! ;)

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal Clinic: ~ 5000 (as a veterinary assistant)
Small Animal/Wildlife/Exotic Clinic: ~600
State's Veterinary Diagnostic Lab: ~300

Animal Experience:
Kennel and Doggie Daycare Supervisor: ~10,000+
SPCA Barn Volunteer: ~30
Horseback Riding and Barn Volunteer: ~3500
Lesson Volunteer at a Therapeutic Riding Center: ~200
Wildlife Center Volunteer: ~20

Work Experience:
Library Assistant
TA for General Microbiology lab during my undergraduate

Extracurricular:
Equestrian Team in high school
Agility Handler
Fish keeping
Choir singer for 10+ years

I know that my GPA is on the low side, and probably my biggest downfall when it comes to applying to vet schools. My biggest struggle during my undergraduate degree was balancing a full-time class schedule with a full-time job. I didn't do as well as I would have liked during my freshman and sophomore year, but my grades picked up during my junior and senior year.

I'm planning on taking a few classes this year as a post-baccalaureate to boost up my GPA a little and am debating about retaking the prerequisites that I got C's in (General Biology I, General Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry I).

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and have been reading everyone's posts, which have been very informative and insightful! Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted to a DVM program so far! I figured I would join in and hopefully get some insight/advice on how I can be a more competitive applicant, seeing I have applied three times to vet school with no luck so far. It's certainly not easy and downright frustrating! However, I am determined to keep improving my application.

Here are my stats:

I'm retaking my GRE this summer (after I devote 3+ months studying for it.) I took it back in 2013 after working that day, which wasn't very wise, and honestly did not put much into studying for it back then. Lesson learned! ;)

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Work Experience:
Library Assistant

Extracurricular:
Agility Handler
Fish keeping

I know that my GPA is on the low side, and probably my biggest downfall when it comes to applying to vet schools. My biggest struggle during my undergraduate degree was balancing a full-time class schedule with a full-time job. I didn't do as well as I would have liked during my freshman and sophomore year, but my grades picked up during my junior and senior year.

I'm planning on taking a few classes this year as a post-baccalaureate to boost up my GPA a little and am debating about retaking the prerequisites that I got C's in (General Biology I, General Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry I).

What schools have you applied to in the past? I would recommend taking a couple classes, if nothing else to bump that last 45 GPA up as high as it can go. After that it's all about applying smart. If you're retaking prerequisites look into schools that allow grade replacement, also look into schools that favor last 45 GPA. It will be rough with that science GPA, but I do know some schools consider working full time when evaluating GPA's. Best of luck to you!

What schools have you applied to in the past? I would recommend taking a couple classes, if nothing else to bump that last 45 GPA up as high as it can go. After that it's all about applying smart. If you're retaking prerequisites look into schools that allow grade replacement, also look into schools that favor last 45 GPA. It will be rough with that science GPA, but I do know some schools consider working full time when evaluating GPA's. Best of luck to you!

The first year I applied to Tufts, Penn, and Ross (I lived in New England at the time.) I got into the VetPrep at Ross but, after thinking about it, wasn't sure if I was up for living on an island exclusively for 2 1/2 years. The second and third time I only applied to NSCU, which is now my in state school.

When I was applying, I was under the impression that all vet schools used pretty much the same general criteria when selecting applicants (overall GPA, science GPA, and last 45 credits.) That is, until now. Scrolling through all the threads and posts in this forum has been a real eye-opener and has provided me with information that I wished I had years ago!

Hello everyone!

Here are my stats:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Work Experience:
Library Assistant

Extracurricular:
Agility Handler
Fish keeping

I would maybe reconsider taking some of those classes you got C's in. It can only help you! Highly recommend Magoosh for studying for the GRE. Do you think you are only going to apply to your instate again?

With the lower GPA with upward trend, K-State may be a good option to apply to. They tend to be more forgiving of applicants that did not excel early on, but seem to be successful as of late.

With the lower GPA with upward trend, K-State may be a good option to apply to. They tend to be more forgiving of applicants that did not excel early on, but seem to be successful as of late.

I too had K-State specifically in mind...

Well I never really wanted to put myself out there but I didn't have success on my second go around :( So advice for improving and/or Suggestions on schools to apply to appreciated!

Female 24, will be 25 in July
3rd time applicant for May 2017
Illinois Resident
BS is Zoology, Chem minor

Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.21
Last 45: 3.64

GRE: I took the test twice
Quantitative: 152. Verbal: 152 Writing: 4.5
**I hate standardized tests this is the last thing I'd want to improve if possible.

Veterinary Experience:
~3000 hours working as a Vet Tech (uncertified)
~60 hours Alumni association externship
~ 840 hours wildlife medicine externship
~ 600 hours professional job shadow

Animal experience:
~1200 hours animal nutrition interns
~500 hours pet care associate (pet store)
~80 hours farm animal handling; class related
~850 hours wildlife care intern

Research:
~250 hours: Inbreeding coefficient importance in dairy cattle in relation to milk quality.

Non Animal Related Work:
RA for 2 years
Math tutor for 1

Awards/recognition:
Companion Animal Nutrition certificaton
Environmental Ambassador
Dean's List 2 times
University Housing Certificate of Excellence 2 times
USA Gymnastics State Champion Titles (5)
Sigma Alpha Pi Leadership Society member
Sigma Alpha Lambda Science Excellence member
Beta Theta Pi Sweetheart

I believe that's everything but I can give more these messages are so long to begin with...thanks all :)

Last edited:
Well I never really wanted to put myself out there but I didn't have success on my second go around :( So advice for improving and/or Suggestions on schools to apply to appreciated!

Illinois Resident

**I hate standardized tests this is the last thing I'd want to improve I'd possible.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal experience:

Research:
~250 hours: Inbreeding coefficient importance in dairy cattle in relation to milk quality.

Non Animal Related Work:
RA for 2 years
Math tutor for 1

Awards/recognition:
Environmental Ambassador
Dean's List 2 times
Beta Theta Pi Sweetheart

I believe that's everything but I can give more these messages are so long to begin with...thanks all :)
Where have you applied/intend on applying this go round (or are you flexible and willing to hear suggestions on where to apply?)

Where have you applied/intend on applying this go round (or are you flexible and willing to hear suggestions on where to apply?)

I really don't want to go to an island school but everywhere in continental US I'm good with! I applied Uof I, NC State, Cornell, Colorado, and Minnesota. Interview at U of I and Minnesota, waitlisted at U of I. I'll probably be working as a technician and retaking a couple prereqs in the mean time.

Illinois Resident

**I hate standardized tests this is the last thing I'd want to improve if possible.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal experience:

Research:

Non Animal Related Work:
RA for 2 years
Math tutor for 1

Awards/recognition:
Environmental Ambassador
Dean's List 2 times
Beta Theta Pi Sweetheart

Your GPAs and GRE are low, but you have a lot of experience. As you probably know, that works in your favor since after the first round, U of I only looks at experience/essays/interviews. It sounds like you've made it past the academic cut-off round since you've interviewed at U of I, so make sure the rest of your application is the best it can be. VMCAS is getting rid of the personal statement and replacing it with short essays- make sure you have someone read those along with U of I's supplemental essay. U of I has a strong preference for experience descriptions to be in full sentences (yes, I know it's a pain) so change from bullet points or sentence fragments if you didn't have full sentences before. They do behavioral style interviews which are common for grad school admissions and in the business world- there are lots of resources on preparing for them.

Definitely do file reviews wherever you can and take the advice you get about retaking classes or taking higher level ones. It's unclear if you have large animal vet experience- if you don't, try to get some. If you can squeeze in some non-animal volunteer experience, that might help too. Unless it's very important to you, I'd recommend leaving off Beta Zeta Pi Sweetheart- if you're going to mention sororities/fraternities, keep it focused on volunteering, academics, and leadership/organizing (I doubt it's really hurting you, but I also doubt it's helping).

I don't want to tell you not to apply to NC State, but keep in mind that they are very, very, very competitive for OOS. Like the person above you, you may want to look at Kansas State and other schools that value upward trends/last 45.

Of course this is all if you don't get off those waitlists- maybe you will!

@TrashPanda thanks!
I know my week spots are definitely GPA and GRE but I'm definitely a hands on person (not an excuse of coarse). I didn't know about U of I preference on paragraph style descriptions I definitely did bullet points...and the rest of the advice is good too. I'll definitely be doing U of I, Minnesota, and Kansas next round (in my opinion no need for a second round nc state, Cornell, or Colorado with my stats) Hoping for the waitlist to move but planning just in case. Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.