2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any tips on reasonable, safe areas to live around RFU? I've heard Lake Bluff is close and a pretty good neighborhood. But I haven't heard great things about Waukegan or North Chicago itself (although I live in a snobby suburban Chicago area, so I'm kind of taking it with a grain of salt).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when we are supposed to hear back? I interviewed at the end of february. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still sending invitations for an interview?
Thanks

Anyone have any tips on reasonable, safe areas to live around RFU? I've heard Lake Bluff is close and a pretty good neighborhood. But I haven't heard great things about Waukegan or North Chicago itself (although I live in a snobby suburban Chicago area, so I'm kind of taking it with a grain of salt).
Yes, I can recommend the apartment complex that I live in- Forest Pointe. It is about 5-10 minutes from school, decently priced, and the other residents are mainly students and employees at Abbott (across the street). Very safe place, and the staff is great. Let me know if you are interested, and you can use me as a referral (we can split the referral bonus)

Hi, this is my first time posting on SDN. I was just curious if anyone has created a facebook group for accepted students yet.

Current 4th year RFUMS student here. Neither Waukegan or North Chicago are good places to live, esp. if you are single and a woman. That being said there are a few places close to the school that aren't terrible and they are relatively inexpensive. If you are planning to live there you have to check out the area or you will be burned. Crime can be a problem.

I live in Lake Forest (the land o' mansions and the Chicago Bears). It's night/day compared to Waukegan/North Chicago. Definitely more expensive, but well worth it. It's harder to find a spot as there are no apartment complexes and you may have to find a bunch of roomates to rent a house. I'm walking distance to the beach and all the local stores, only a 5 minute drive to the school, and a block away from Jay Cutler :thumbup:. I stayed there all 4 years and don't regret a second. Lake Bluff is similar and also a great place to live.

If all else fails you can always live in student housing around the school. It wasn't my thing, but it gives you a better opportunity to get to know the rest of your class.

No I don't think so! You should start one! =)

Hi guys!

There is now a FB group for accepted students! Woohoo finally! Not sure if admin will make another one when school starts but look it up and join! Can't wait to meet all of you!

Last edited:
Thanks for checking on that! Can't wait to meet you all! Joining the group now!
Quick question: Do you guys know if it's pass/fail for the first two years?

Hey can you post the link for the fb group actually?

Members don't see this ad :)
didn't they say every 2nd week of the month?

There is talk of going to pass/fail. We were actually just asked to take a survey on it the other day, and the deans brought it up during a Town Hall meeting. It may not change for next year, but maybe soon.

Does anyone know any information about school scholarships? I know it's decided by a separate committee but I was wondering if anyone had more information about that?

Anyone know when we are supposed to hear back? I interviewed at the end of february. Thanks!

Hi AJgem...sorry I'm a little late but I heard back via e-mail about 2.5 weeks (including weekends) after my interview. GL!

Just got an interview invite today! They have 4 dates left in April. Unfortunately, I will be gone for all of April for a medical project halfway across the world! Does anyone know if they would be receptive to trying to schedule me in March, or is that at a long shot?

Just got an interview invite today! They have 4 dates left in April. Unfortunately, I will be gone for all of April for a medical project halfway across the world! Does anyone know if they would be receptive to trying to schedule me in March, or is that at a long shot?

Congrats, thats awesome! I've been small pooled here forever!! Wish they accepted update letters...

does anyone know the interview dates left? I feel like I have been i the small pool forever lol

does anyone know the interview dates left? I feel like I have been i the small pool forever lol

They have 4/2, 4/9, 4/16, and 4/23 still open. I've been small pooled since 9/7 and I bet a lot of the April interviews will be from the small pool as well. Good luck! I'll be there on 3/26.

So.... Anyone hear anything recently?

Rejection via email this morning! I thought they did silent rejections, I was sort of surprised

Rejected via email this morning. Good luck to those still in the pool!

Yes, I can recommend the apartment complex that I live in- Forest Pointe. It is about 5-10 minutes from school, decently priced, and the other residents are mainly students and employees at Abbott (across the street). Very safe place, and the staff is great. Let me know if you are interested, and you can use me as a referral (we can split the referral bonus)

Current 4th year RFUMS student here. Neither Waukegan or North Chicago are good places to live, esp. if you are single and a woman. That being said there are a few places close to the school that aren't terrible and they are relatively inexpensive. If you are planning to live there you have to check out the area or you will be burned. Crime can be a problem.

I live in Lake Forest (the land o' mansions and the Chicago Bears). It's night/day compared to Waukegan/North Chicago. Definitely more expensive, but well worth it. It's harder to find a spot as there are no apartment complexes and you may have to find a bunch of roomates to rent a house. I'm walking distance to the beach and all the local stores, only a 5 minute drive to the school, and a block away from Jay Cutler :thumbup:. I stayed there all 4 years and don't regret a second. Lake Bluff is similar and also a great place to live.

If all else fails you can always live in student housing around the school. It wasn't my thing, but it gives you a better opportunity to get to know the rest of your class.

Thanks for the tips!

Sooooo anyone hear anything this month?

Hey all - Would anybody be kind enough to offer me a link or a post # to someone breaking down what they feel are the pros/cons of this school? I'd really appreciate it.

my lack of knowledge in this school (friend just matched into his top list from cms, i gathered this information from him):

con
abcdf grading system (stress x 10000)

pro
great clinical experience (great physicians/LORs/experience)

do they have the match list for 2012 up somewhere yet?

my lack of knowledge in this school (friend just matched into his top list from cms, i gathered this information from him):

con
abcdf grading system (stress x 10000)

pro
great clinical experience (great physicians/LORs/experience)

Heard they're trying to change the grading system! =). The 1st/2nd years just voted I think.

It was another strong match for CMS with many reasons to be proud. Those of you who will be attending CMS should be very excited for your upcoming medical school years.

i see my friend on that list :) congrats to him!:)

I heard that the adcom meets on the third tuesday of the month and my friend got his decision by the fourth tuesday, so maybe we will hear back today! Good luck to all!

thanks for the post green grass! does anyone know if the new grading system will be executed starting fall '12 or is it still under question?

Status
Not open for further replies.