2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed mid-Oct and have been placed on hold starting at the end of November. I just receive another hold email this morning. Is anyone else in this position? and does anyone think it would be helpful to submit a Letter of intent or update my information? I don't actually have that many significant things to update though....just that I started to volunteer at the hospital again...-__-

This is driving me crazy because I'd really love to attend the school.

I don't believe they accept updates, but maybe an LOI would be more welcome? You can always call the school and ask what you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking at the previous years' threads for this school and in four years there hasn't been any invitations in the month of January---only holds (probably the same sent from the month before) and small pools. On the brighter side of things, it looks like they start sending them out earlier in the month of Feb. If someone did receive an invite/acceptance do tell :)

I've been looking at the previous years' threads for this school and in four years there hasn't been any invitations in the month of January---only holds (probably the same sent from the month before) and small pools. On the brighter side of things, it looks like they start sending them out earlier in the month of Feb. If someone did receive an invite/acceptance do tell :)

Just received my II today! Good luck to everybody!

No the II will probably be for the month of Feb. Still no acceptances. Apologies for the confusing explanation. It just means there is hope for all of us =)

Last edited:
II!

They had most of the MWF throughout Feb. I asked for the 1st, hopefully I'll get it. Dang, silence for so long, it's nice to hear some good news :)

Usually the month of January is pretty busy with BMS'ers (Masters of Biomedical Science) interviewing. That may be why you guys haven't heard anything lately.

Also, for the poster who asked about updates/LOI. Are you still taking courses? Updated transcripts should be welcome, I would think.

Just withdrew from my interview here- I hope one of you gets my spot! : )

Usually the month of January is pretty busy with BMS'ers (Masters of Biomedical Science) interviewing. That may be why you guys haven't heard anything lately.

Also, for the poster who asked about updates/LOI. Are you still taking courses? Updated transcripts should be welcome, I would think.

Nope, I'm not taking courses anymore so I'm not sure if it's worth it to update with my boring hospital volunteer information since I already have plenty of volunteer activities included in my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody have any recommendations on which hotel was the best to stay at for the interview?? i was looking at the list they gave us. though days inn is the closest, it had the worst ratings. did anybody have any good/bad experiences at any particular hotel?

does anybody have any recommendations on which hotel was the best to stay at for the interview?? i was looking at the list they gave us. though days inn is the closest, it had the worst ratings. did anybody have any good/bad experiences at any particular hotel?

Hey PolyDancer(I swear I'm not stalking you from the UCI thread... :)),

For my interview, I stayed at the Ramada Waukegan-Gurnee(third on the provided list). It's a little further from the school(compared to the others), but the hotel provides a free shuttle or you could get an inexpensive taxi. I found the room to be really clean and nice. They had all the amenities I could think of in the room, including an iron & ironing board in case you need it. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I would definitely say that it was worth it, and were I to visit again, I would stay there again.

Oh, and as an added bonus, Domino's will deliver right to your room if you need a snack. :smuggrin:

As far as CMS goes, I really enjoyed the school. It has a great mission, and it's truly a diamond in the rough. Clinical opportunities are great(hard to beat Cook County) and most students move to downtown Chicago for the clinical years. Keep a sharp eye on their match list. It's pretty darn impressive.

Good luck on your interview! :luck:

Ramada waukegan was good. Just hard to get to from the airport. I took the commuter train n got off at Lake Bluff thinking that I will be able to get a cab easily since it is after all a train station.
But lo behold, it was a truly suburban station. I had to google a few local cab companies before anyone came n picked me up and dropped me to the hotel. The cab fare set me back bout 20 bucks I think

Sent from my SCH-R720 using SDN Mobile

Ramada waukegan was good. Just hard to get to from the airport. I took the commuter train n got off at Lake Bluff thinking that I will be able to get a cab easily since it is after all a train station.
But lo behold, it was a truly suburban station. I had to google a few local cab companies before anyone came n picked me up and dropped me to the hotel. The cab fare set me back bout 20 bucks I think

Sent from my SCH-R720 using SDN Mobile

Yeah, the school is hard to get to from either of Chicago's major airports. I took the commuter train to get there as well. I lucked out because there was taxi waiting for another train passenger that was heading towards the VA. If you're planning on getting to North Chicago via the commuter train and getting off the Lake Bluff stop, I highly recommend jotting down the number of a couple of local taxi companies.

It might also help to consider that it will cost you roughly 20 dollars to take the taxi from the stop to the hotel(as kindly mentioned by Docforthepeeps) and another 6 dollars to take the commuter train to North Chicago(not to mention the public transit fee to get to the train station in Chicago). That comes out to roughly $30 while some taxi companies will charge you a flat rate of $40 to take you from the main Chicago airports to North Chicago. Just something to consider when making your plans! :)

Yeah, the school is hard to get to from either of Chicago's major airports. I took the commuter train to get there as well. I lucked out because there was taxi waiting for another train passenger that was heading towards the VA. If you're planning on getting to North Chicago via the commuter train and getting off the Lake Bluff stop, I highly recommend jotting down the number of a couple of local taxi companies.

It might also help to consider that it will cost you roughly 20 dollars to take the taxi from the stop to the hotel(as kindly mentioned by Docforthepeeps) and another 6 dollars to take the commuter train to North Chicago(not to mention the public transit fee to get to the train station in Chicago). That comes out to roughly $30 while some taxi companies will charge you a flat rate of $40 to take you from the main Chicago airports to North Chicago. Just something to consider when making your plans! :)

Thanks so much!! You have been extremely helpful throughout this process =)

The hotel should have a shuttle to pick you up at the train station, as well as drop you off at the school. CMS itself also has shuttles from the train station to the school in the morning, so if any of you are not staying at a hotel, but arriving in the morning, keep that in mind.
It can be pretty confusing how to take the different trains to get to way up here from the airports (I had never ridden on subways or trains like that before) so don't hesitate to ask the information people in the airport or in the different train stations.

Thanks so much!! You have been extremely helpful throughout this process =)

You're absolutely welcome! The least we can do is try to help one another through this process! Good luck at your interview, and I hope that CMS impresses you as it did me. :luck:

The hotel should have a shuttle to pick you up at the train station, as well as drop you off at the school. CMS itself also has shuttles from the train station to the school in the morning, so if any of you are not staying at a hotel, but arriving in the morning, keep that in mind.
It can be pretty confusing how to take the different trains to get to way up here from the airports (I had never ridden on subways or trains like that before) so don't hesitate to ask the information people in the airport or in the different train stations.

I completely forgot about the CMS shuttle. This is great advice! And yes, the hotel does have a shuttle service as well! Thanks for that.

I called with regards to my status and the lady essentially read my "small pool" email...

I would love to interview here but I'm losing hope :scared:

I just got an interview invite yesterday afternoon so don't lose hope!!!! They had interviews up through the 1st week of March available too.

I actually withdrew from my interview invite, so I hope that my spot goes to one of you who are waiting!

There isn't a facebook group for accepted class of 2016 correct?

Does anyone happen to have the US News statistics on % of IS and OOS accepted post-interview for RF?

Does anyone happen to have the US News statistics on % of IS and OOS accepted post-interview for RF?

Total:

6434 applied
684 interviewed
474 accepted
190 enrolled

79 IS enrolled
96 OOS enrolled

Sorry, that's all the information it gives :( It's lacking the other sections.

Last edited:
yep, I picked February 29th. Does anybody know the type of questions that are asked?

yep, I picked February 29th. Does anybody know the type of questions that are asked?

I don't personally because I haven't interviewed here but a great resource is up on the interview tab on the top of the page under interview feedback. That will give you access to hundreds+ of previously asked questions. Good Luck :)

It was a very relaxed environment. Honestly, the interview with the MS4 student was so relaxed. It was more conversational than anything. The faculty all seemed very nice as well and kept it at conversation. Both interviews went along the lines of "tell me about yourself" and the interviews asked questions based on what I shared about myself. Probably the most relaxed interview yet

Congrats to those of you with invites, what are your small pool dates?

Seesh, I guess I can't complain for being small pooled 1/31. Any hope for an invite still?

Does anyone have more information on the changes CMS is making next year? in terms of curriculum, grading etc? Thanks

sometime around November or December.

the pool is really just preinterview hold, in my opinion. i think most applicants get pooled, so our chances are not that great. but i still hope we get invites !

I am still floating around in the pool. 3.5/32 international. :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.