2013-2014 Cooper Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
did you get a complete email? mine is also marked complete, but I never received an email

Yes, on the 15th.

Secondary received on 13th
Submitted on 15th
Complete email on 15th.

I received the complete email at the very same time I got the "secondary received" email. It was literally within the very same minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete earlier than 7/15 - seems I've been skipped over. Damn.

Complete earlier than 7/15 - seems I've been skipped over. Damn.

How do we know that they review the applications in exact order based on completion date? For all we know, they may just look at a whole batch all at the same time regardless of completion date.

I noticed that it states "Note: All science courses used to satisfy a prerequisite must include a laboratory component"

I have AP credit for introductory biology but took the introductory biology lab in college.

I also took animal physiology along with the animal physiology lab.

I have taken a bunch more upper level biology classes I took but I only took those 2 biology lab classes I just listed. Do I meet the school's requirements?

I noticed that it states "Note: All science courses used to satisfy a prerequisite must include a laboratory component"

I have AP credit for introductory biology but took the introductory biology lab in college.

I also took animal physiology along with the animal physiology lab.

I have taken a bunch more upper level biology classes I took but I only took those 2 biology lab classes I just listed. Do I meet the school's requirements?
http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/prerequisites.php

Upper level coursework in the same subject area may replace the listed prerequisite.

Also, http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/faq.php

...any upper level electives in the same subject can substitute for the indicated prerequisite courses.

Two semesters of college-level lab courses looks like it will be OK. Call if you are unsure.

Do we have to specifically say we want to work in Camden? I feel like that sounds so forced/a lie if I have no ties to the city or state. Rather, in my secondary, I talk about how I want to help underserved urban communities through educational and health change etc. I talk about my mission to disadvantaged people etc but I dont specifically name Camden. Should I?

Do we have to specifically say we want to work in Camden? I feel like that sounds so forced/a lie if I have no ties to the city or state. Rather, in my secondary, I talk about how I want to help underserved urban communities through educational and health change etc. I talk about my mission to disadvantaged people etc but I dont specifically name Camden. Should I?

Do you want to spend your career in Camden? If not, then don't write that you want to. It's important to be honest because Admissions Committees are very good at seeing straight through applicants that write dishonest things to make themselves look better.

II today! Never thought I'd get an invite on a Sunday...

OOS, complete 7/10

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering if its an autoreject if you DON'T want to spend your career in Camden ya know?

I'm just wondering if its an autoreject if you DON'T want to spend your career in Camden ya know?

I doubt it will be. I'm sure that they want physicians who are dedicated to the area but I know several people who have gotten interviews there with no ties to Camden or New Jersey in general (they were from California).

3.55, 3.33, 25. But I have clinical experience, extracurricular activities, shadowing experience, and over 100 hours of community service. Do I have a shot?

According to this year's MSAR, a 25 is in the 10th percentile for accepted applicants. So it's not impossible. Best of luck!

Watsup guys. Applied here last year, kind of a last minute addition on my AMCAS without much thought towards it, but after interviewing/visiting I was simply knocked off my feet, it was an experience very different, and refreshing, from other schools. The rest is history... I'll be starting M1 there soon, but if you have any questions about the process or anything else feel free to post them or DM me-if I don't know the answer I can ask some of the rising M2 students and get back to you. Good luck-It's certainly a bear of a process applying to medical school, but certainly worth the end goal!

Watsup guys. Applied here last year, kind of a last minute addition on my AMCAS without much thought towards it, but after interviewing/visiting I was simply knocked off my feet, it was an experience very different, and refreshing, from other schools. The rest is history... I'll be starting M1 there soon, but if you have any questions about the process or anything else feel free to post them or DM me-if I don't know the answer I can ask some of the rising M2 students and get back to you. Good luck-It's certainly a bear of a process applying to medical school, but certainly worth the end goal!

Hey congrats on the acceptance!

I drove through Camden like 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the campus looked despite the surrounding area. I didn't have time to explore too much so I was wondering about a few things. From the looks of their website it doesn't seem like they have on-campus housing at all. Where will you be living?

I went to school in Philadelphia and so living in Center City and making the commute to Camden sounds pretty awesome, but I'm wondering if that would be too much. What time does lecture start in the morning?

Thanks a lot!

Yea the area around Cooper really isn't all too bad. And if you're ever at school late and don't feel comfortable walking home, the security guards will give you a ride. I'll be living in the Victor building, which is about a mile from school, in Camden. A good amount of kids from the previous class lived there last year, and a lot from my class will be living there this year. However, a lot of students also live in Philly-most around the CC area. So it's certainly not too much! Classes start at 8:00 am I believe, but from those that I talked to who lived in Philly last year (I was thinking about it as well) it didn't seem to be a problem at all! I know some of them even commuted to school via bike everyday from Philly and actually enjoyed it.

First II! just came in. 35-37 mcat 3.9-4.0 gpa IS

Email, its crazy because I wasn't complete yesterday

Yea the area around Cooper really isn't all too bad. And if you're ever at school late and don't feel comfortable walking home, the security guards will give you a ride. I'll be living in the Victor building, which is about a mile from school, in Camden. A good amount of kids from the previous class lived there last year, and a lot from my class will be living there this year. However, a lot of students also live in Philly-most around the CC area. So it's certainly not too much! Classes start at 8:00 am I believe, but from those that I talked to who lived in Philly last year (I was thinking about it as well) it didn't seem to be a problem at all! I know some of them even commuted to school via bike everyday from Philly and actually enjoyed it.

Cool thanks! Yeah looks like a short train ride from Center City to Camden but with 8am lecture i dont know if I could handle it, I'm not a morning person lol

EDIT: bamboozlenator, around how much is the rent in the Victor if you dont mind?? Very excited for my interview and to learn more about the school!

Last edited:
First II! 2.7 uGPA, 4.0 gGPA, 39, OOS, complete 7/10. Very excited for the underserved focus this school has. Does anyone know if they offer student hosts for interviewing?

I have been verified for 3+ weeks, my MCAT scores were in at that time, as were my LORs and I haven't received the secondary for Cooper yet.

Anyone else been verified a long time without receiving the secondary? It is worrying me as Cooper is one of my top choices.

Still no news. I really want an interview here.

help on #3 in the prompts?
i dislike these kinds of questions but alas, they still appear.

What kinds of things could be mentioned for this question? I don't want to sound "weird" or "typical."

(Also, what does II stand for? I'm unfamiliar with the terminology used on SDN. Haha)

help on #3 in the prompts?
i dislike these kinds of questions but alas, they still appear.

What kinds of things could be mentioned for this question? I don't want to sound "weird" or "typical."

(Also, what does II stand for? I'm unfamiliar with the terminology used on SDN. Haha)

I think #3 is asking about diversity or what makes you unique. They want something that's more than academics, I believe.

II is interview invite!

I think #3 is asking about diversity or what makes you unique. They want something that's more than academics, I believe.

II is interview invite!

AH a diversity question. Much better. :)

Thanks for the terminology clarification. I realized post-asking that's what it probably meant. Oh how I wish I could get an "II"

I was complete on 7/23 and I'm IS but still no II :(

congrats to those with IIs!!

Got my invite 8/20! Secondary was completed 8/5. 3.82/U 3.5/S 27 mcat IS & URM :love:

I am interviewing 9/13......25mcat OOS 3.54sGPA

Does anyone have insight on doing rotations outside of Cooper University Health Care?

Also, without a match list and other statistics board scores ect. how have you guys been evaluating this school?

Anyway, I am very excited. I love the clinical/service aspect of this school. The academic approach seem really great too.

Does anyone have insight on doing rotations outside of Cooper University Health Care?

Also, without a match list and other statistics board scores ect. how have you guys been evaluating this school?

Anyway, I am very excited. I love the clinical/service aspect of this school. The academic approach seem really great too.

This school was just very recently established. I have a friend who is a pioneering 3rd year here. Let me get in contact with him and I'll get back to you

This school was just very recently established. I have a friend who is a pioneering 3rd year here. Let me get in contact with him and I'll get back to you

That would be great thank you! Yeah I realize that they haven't been around long enough to have the same stats and information more established schools have. Its just the nature of a new school. I didn't mean in any way that they are hiding anything . Thanks for the help!

Congrats! When did you submit? URM?

I just added this school to my AMCAS earlier this week and haven't yet received a secondary. Does it take them a while to send?

That would be great thank you! Yeah I realize that they haven't been around long enough to have the same stats and information more established schools have. Its just the nature of a new school. I didn't mean in any way that they are hiding anything . Thanks for the help!

Hey sorry for the late reply. I don't have FB so I asked a couple friends to give me his contact info. Still waiting, but I'll let you know asap (I'd like to know for myself too)

I just added this school to my AMCAS earlier this week and haven't yet received a secondary. Does it take them a while to send?

I added this school early on, but I got the secondary the day I was verified. It was fairly automatic.

Prior to the opening of CMSRU, Cooper hospital trained Robert Wood Johnson 3 & 4 year students that were placed in RWJs south jersey tract. That training went on for more than 30 years. So Cooper knows what they are doing when it comes to clinical years. As far as pre-clinical 2 of the deans started commonwealth and they also only hired professors who have been in academic medicine for 5 or more years. So in theory the only thing new about the school is name. They've done their homework on things. As far as what match lists look like you should check with RWJ and see if you can get a match list specific to their South Jersey tract students for the past few years. Hope this info helps.

I added this school early on, but I got the secondary the day I was verified. It was fairly automatic.

Thanks, I actually just received the secondary today!