2015-2016 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted and withdrew! Best of luck to all of you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyways, I thought I heard people say WashU has very significant waitlist movement. Someone might've even said something close to half the class is pulled from the waitlist? I can't remember if a student told me that on interview day or if I read it here. I may be completely wrong, so take it with a grain of salt.

This is pretty accurate. A very significant portion of the class comes from the waitlist each year. If you want to be here next year, hang in there, and don't be afraid to send an update letting them know you really want to come here!

Reactions: 2 users
This is pretty accurate. A very significant portion of the class comes from the waitlist each year. If you want to be here next year, hang in there, and don't be afraid to send an update letting them know you really want to come here!
Was this true for the 2015 entering class here also? It seems like the wait list barely moved last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this true for the 2015 entering class here also? It seems like the wait list barely moved last year.

SDN activity does not always accurately reflect real life. To my knowledge, the waitlist movement last year was similar to previous years.

Reactions: 1 user
Got that wl e-mail. With all the encouraging comments, I will definitely be sending a letter of intent. Any ideas on when best to do that? Pre April 30th?

WL and withdrew as well. Good luck to all.

waitlisted... Interviewed late Jan. Is the waitlist ranked? Until how late can we expect waitlist movement?:bored:

Why is it that when I fill the Student and Parent Supplemental Form, I cannot see parental contribution in the summary? Anyone has same issue? Thanks

Any post interview rejections? It seems like every one here was waitlisted

Reactions: 1 users
At interview day I remember hearing about a course for M4s that was basically supposed to prepare them for intern year. It sounded like it was quite popular with everyone. Can any current students comment on what the course entails? It seemed like it was unique to WashU--I hadn't seen similar courses at other schools. And for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

Members don't see this ad :)
At interview day I remember hearing about a course for M4s that was basically supposed to prepare them for intern year. It sounded like it was quite popular with everyone. Can any current students comment on what the course entails? It seemed like it was unique to WashU--I hadn't seen similar courses at other schools. And for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.
I believe it is called Capstone. There was one other school I interviewed at that mentioned a similar course at the end of M4, but I'm blanking on which one. I do think it is somewhat unique!

I believe it is called Capstone. There was one other school I interviewed at that mentioned a similar course at the end of M4, but I'm blanking on which one. I do think it is somewhat unique!

I think Dartmouth has it also. Maybe Case?

I heard through the grapevine, that a friend of a friend's fiance was waitlisted and was then told by admissions that they were in the "upper third." I accepted a position on the wait list last week, and when I called today, they said the list is not ranked and therefore they could not indicate any third I am in. I am very confused! Does anyone know anything about this?

It is called Capstone and as of last year is required for all 4th year students. It is a variety of things and lasts 4 weeks. Mornings are usually lectures to review important clinical info (what to do if you get called about a pt with chest pain/SOB/etc., common pathophys), then afternoons are usually breakout sessions in your planned specialty. I went into Ob/Gyn and we had suturing sessions, surgical skills, how to do a C-section, OB US, review of important pregnancy and GYN complaints, etc. There's also sessions for everyone reviewing important floor skills including IV placement, arterial/central line placement, common on call problems. I thought it was great and was a nice review of everything I should have known prior to starting intern year without being too stressful.

I heard through the grapevine, that a friend of a friend's fiance was waitlisted and was then told by admissions that they were in the "upper third." I accepted a position on the wait list last week, and when I called today, they said the list is not ranked and therefore they could not indicate any third I am in. I am very confused! Does anyone know anything about this?

I believe the waitlist is not ranked at WUSM - perhaps they were talking about another school?

At other schools, this kind of course might be known as "Bootcamp." For instance, Harvard has "Into the Wild Blue Yonder- Preparing for Internship" (medicine), "Surgical Bootcamp", "OBGYN Bootcamp", and so forth. Bootcamp implies more stress than is realistic, so we call it Capstone.

When surveyed as interns, the last graduating class answered a mean 4.2/5 for the statement "The Capstone course was useful in preparing me for my responsibilities at the start of the PGY-1 year." (1=strongly disagree, 4=agree, 5=strongly agree)

When do Wash U students take Step 1 and how does the dedicated study time work?

Anyone know if there's been waitlist movement?

Anyone know if there's been waitlist movement?
It's been 6 days since we were wait-listed, maybe give them a couple weeks? They also have second look this weekend, so it's not like they have preparation to do for that or plenty of other things to keep them busy...

So the first 5 weeks of the M2 summer break would be the "dedicated study time"?

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk

The first 5 weeks is the entire break. The only thing the school decides is when second year classes end and when third year clerkships begin. How you structure your time is up to you. You can take it all to study or you can save a week for vacation. You can decide not to take Step 1 in that time frame at all, as the timing is not officially specified nor is it a prerequisite to starting clerkships, but you will probably have to explain your anxieties to the dean of students.

I'll note that previous classes have had less than 5 weeks, so you may get varied responses if you ask current students about their Step 1 study block.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck waitlist!!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Withdrawing also. Hopefully one of you gets it!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know if any other merit schollys will be given out?

I'm confused... was everyone who wasn't accepted waitlisted, or were there rejections as well?

I'm confused... was everyone who wasn't accepted waitlisted, or were there rejections as well?
I'm not a 100% sure but I think everyone was wait listed and asked if they wanted to remain on the wait list.

I haven't heard any rejections.

I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet - For those who have been WLed, does it appear under application status on the portal?

I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet - For those who have been WLed, does it appear under application status on the portal?
You get an email and on the portal there is a side tab called "Wait List Inquiry Response"

For people who have accepted a position on the waitlist, did you get an email or do you have anything on the web portal in confirmation? I know the page says that the WL form stays open for submission and I got the confirmation page when I did it, I just want to make sure.

For people who have accepted a position on the waitlist, did you get an email or do you have anything on the web portal in confirmation? I know the page says that the WL form stays open for submission and I got the confirmation page when I did it, I just want to make sure.
No confirmation email here

No confirmation email here
I got the email about 20-30 minutes after the link popped up on the portal sidebar. Probably makes sense to call them and check if you don't get the email and it's not in your spam
Edit: I just realized you didn't mean the notification of wait list email. I didn't get an email after I checked off that I wanted to stay on the waitlist

How is it that only 5 people (based on the chart halfway down on this page https://finaid.med.wustl.edu/how-to-apply/doctor-of-medicine/) from the past graduating class had debt over 200k, when based on a lot of people I have talked to so far, almost no one has been eligible for any need based aid at all and will be responsible for paying the sticker price? I'm confused with how so many people supposedly have such little debt (even after excluding the 25 or so merit full rides) at graduation.

How is it that only 5 people (based on the chart halfway down on this page https://finaid.med.wustl.edu/how-to-apply/doctor-of-medicine/) from the past graduating class had debt over 200k, when based on a lot of people I have talked to so far, almost no one has been eligible for any need based aid at all and will be responsible for paying the sticker price? I'm confused with how so many people supposedly have such little debt (even after excluding the 25 or so merit full rides) at graduation.
I think this is because the expected family contribution isn't taken into account, which a lot of people take out loans for (treated like money you already have vs what you owe since technically your parents should be able to pay that amount). Family contribution at these medical schools must also be pretty high since most students attending WashU probably have a very high family income.

Just a guess, though.

Not that this is incredibly important, but it certainly contributes, but there are more than that many full rides. Twenty five members of the class are MSTP then there are all of the scholarships on top of that.

I am surprised so many people say that they aren't getting any financial aid -- I met several people at second look who had gotten their financial aid offers and had received sizable amounts. That doesn't really answer your question, but it does make me that it could be a skewed sample.

Not that this is incredibly important, but it certainly contributes, but there are more than that many full rides. Twenty five members of the class are MSTP then there are all of the scholarships on top of that.

I am surprised so many people say that they aren't getting any financial aid -- I met several people at second look who had gotten their financial aid offers and had received sizable amounts. That doesn't really answer your question, but it does make me that it could be a skewed sample.
Hmm, that's an interesting difference in what we have heard of other's financial aid. I guess it seems that most people either get full rides or generous financial aid, while a few people get no aid whatsoever and probably help fund other's aid?

How can aggregate data possibly be true in the face of anecdote to the contrary?

The only situations where someone will be >200k in debt are A) if the family is rich enough (in the eyes of the federal EFC calculation) to afford most of tuition+living AND does NOT contribute any such money to the student, or B) the student is a non-US person (not permanent resident or citizen, therefore ineligible for need-based aid) and the family cannot afford tuition+living. Do you think all the people you talked to have such a situation?

How can aggregate data possibly be true in the face of anecdote to the contrary?
It's because of this difference that I'm asking this question, it doesn't make sense. To all people I mentioned above, they met those criteria that you listed in which they had to take out solely loans to cover their cost of attendance.

The only situations where someone will be >200k in debt are A) if the family is rich enough (in the eyes of the federal EFC calculation) to afford most of tuition+living AND does NOT contribute any such money to the student, or B) the student is a non-US person (not permanent resident or citizen, therefore ineligible for need-based aid) and the family cannot afford tuition+living. Do you think all the people you talked to have such a situation?

In general, I would agree with this pretty strongly. I come from a middle-class family (imo far from upper middle class but definitely not poor either) and my projected debt is ~$100K. There are many people here that are probably in similar situations. If your family is wealthy enough to disqualify you from all need-based grants but is not willing to contribute to your education, you're probably going to be taking out a lot of loans regardless of where you go for med school :shrug:

As a general rule of thumb, we have excellent need-based financial aid here, but you never really know for sure what it will look like for you until you get your aid package.

Given the discussion on financial aid, I'd just like to point out that WashU, amongst other schools, is not very kind to children from single parents. They make you justify every year why you qualify to only submit one parent, and ask you to collect proof of your situation. So I can definitely see someone from a single parent household being in debt if they attend and the committee decides their situation doesn't meet the criteria.

*Disclaimer, have only applied for financial aid, maybe the process is much more lax than they let on.

In general, I would agree with this pretty strongly. I come from a middle-class family (imo far from upper middle class but definitely not poor either) and my projected debt is ~$100K. There are many people here that are probably in similar situations. If your family is wealthy enough to disqualify you from all need-based grants but is not willing to contribute to your education, you're probably going to be taking out a lot of loans regardless of where you go for med school :shrug:

As a general rule of thumb, we have excellent need-based financial aid here, but you never really know for sure what it will look like for you until you get your aid package.

As a parent of an accepted student, let me shed some light on the financial aid question. First, the EFC is a fantasy number. I understand where the government gets that figure, but it only tells a small part of the story. My family's EFC is $40,000. You might assume from the EFC that we are a wealthy family and that based on my income, I should have been saving for my child's education from the day he was born. Your assumption would be wrong. I was 18 years old and working in a fast-food restaurant when my son was born. I went to school part time over several years to get an associate's degree, then a bachelor's degree, and finally my master's just eight years ago. I had my own student loans to pay off, so I was not able to save money for his education (although I was able to pay for his undergraduate degree, combined with his merit scholarship). Before my master's degree, I was a single parent with a modest income. I have only been in my current tax bracket for eight years now, and it's only upper-middle class at best, anyway. So... WashU's COA is nearly $80,000 - $40,000 (EFC) - $20,000 (they're giving him that & I'm grateful for it) = $20,000 per year that they think he needs to borrow. Over four years, not including interest, he "should" only be in debt for $80,000. But I don't have anything to contribute toward his graduate education, after having paid for his undergraduate (and his stepbrother's undergraduate). So, he will have to borrow $60,000 per year for a total of $240,000 (before interest). It's not a matter of whether or not I'm willing to help pay for education. I actually will be paying for health insurance, medical bills, phone bill, auto insurance, etc. It's that I had a rather slow start in life myself, and I'm doing the best I can. These are the kids who fall through the cracks in the financial aid system. If I still worked in fast-food, he could probably go there for free.

I guess I don't get why on the MD supplemental form they ask how much the parents plan to contribute when they seemingly don't take it into account. I'm in a sort of similar position where my parents are "supposed" to contribute a substantial sum, but due to various reasons they can't afford to contribute at all. So as of now it's looking like $320k in debt if I choose to attend WashU. I'm hoping they might be understanding and flexible if I explain my situation, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited:
As a parent of an accepted student, let me shed some light on the financial aid question. First, the EFC is a fantasy number. I understand where the government gets that figure, but it only tells a small part of the story. My family's EFC is $40,000. You might assume from the EFC that we are a wealthy family and that based on my income, I should have been saving for my child's education from the day he was born. Your assumption would be wrong. I was 18 years old and working in a fast-food restaurant when my son was born. I went to school part time over several years to get an associate's degree, then a bachelor's degree, and finally my master's just eight years ago. I had my own student loans to pay off, so I was not able to save money for his education (although I was able to pay for his undergraduate degree, combined with his merit scholarship). Before my master's degree, I was a single parent with a modest income. I have only been in my current tax bracket for eight years now, and it's only upper-middle class at best, anyway. So... WashU's COA is nearly $80,000 - $40,000 (EFC) - $20,000 (they're giving him that & I'm grateful for it) = $20,000 per year that they think he needs to borrow. Over four years, not including interest, he "should" only be in debt for $80,000. But I don't have anything to contribute toward his graduate education, after having paid for his undergraduate (and his stepbrother's undergraduate). So, he will have to borrow $60,000 per year for a total of $240,000 (before interest). It's not a matter of whether or not I'm willing to help pay for education. I actually will be paying for health insurance, medical bills, phone bill, auto insurance, etc. It's that I had a rather slow start in life myself, and I'm doing the best I can. These are the kids who fall through the cracks in the financial aid system. If I still worked in fast-food, he could probably go there for free.

I am truly sorry to hear that this has been your experience. I know it's a goal here in regards to financial aid to prevent students such as your son from "falling through the cracks," so to say. I heard last year that they're working on an overhaul of how they view parents/parental contribution, but I don't know where that stands at this point.