2016-2017 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II yesterday, still undecided whether to attend or not due to work/financial reasons. Grateful for the opportunity though! Any thoughts on the school from those who have interviewed?

Absolutely loved this school! Outside of website browsing, I did not know much about the school pre-interview. After the interview, however, SLU became one of my top choices. SLU has a really student friendly environment. They place a huge emphasis on mental health, and having a life outside of med school. The students really seemed to enjoy their experience. They also had a match list on par with more highly ranked schools that I've seen. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed here recently and was asked in an interview (a) how many interviews I've gotten and (b) where I've been accepted. I didn't know what to do, so I answered both questions honestly. I'm pretty upset about this, but I don't really feel like I have any recourse. Any advice on this? This isn't normal or even allowed, right?
I have been asked similar questions with the follow-up question of "why us then?" I think if you can convince them you'll take their school above others then it's a score, since clearly other schools also value/desire you. If you give a weak response it might hurt. At least that's my thinking. Either way, you're not alone.

I wish SLU hyped itself more because I was really impressed post-interview but barely knew a thing going in

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been asked similar questions with the follow-up question of "why us then?" I think if you can convince them you'll take their school above others then it's a score, since clearly other schools also value/desire you. If you give a weak response it might hurt. At least that's my thinking. Either way, you're not alone.

I do think that my responses to his follow-up questions were more than satisfactory, since I'm able to think on my feet. I just didn't think that it was fair to ask the question. I dunno.

I do think that my responses to his follow-up questions were more than satisfactory, since I'm able to think on my feet. I just didn't think that it was fair to ask the question. I dunno.
I was asked the same questions on my interview, felt similarly. Answered them honestly. He snuck them in right at the end. It was weird.

I wish SLU hyped itself more because I was really impressed post-interview but barely knew a thing going in
I agree, and I know this might seem excessive, but I really wish they would make their Med School website more user-friendly and attractive. Their undergrad's is beautiful! And then the Med School's is pretty outdated haha

Reactions: 4 users
I agree, and I know this might seem excessive, but I really wish they would make their Med School website more user-friendly and attractive. Their undergrad's is beautiful! And then the Med School's is pretty outdated haha
For what it's worth, I believe they just finished revamping the undergrad website within the last year or so. Before it looked very similar to SLU med

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interviewing with a Robin Chamberland, Ph.D, and I haven't seen anything about him in this thread.
Does anyone have any info about him?

I'm interviewing with a Robin Chamberland, Ph.D, and I haven't seen anything about him in this thread.
Does anyone have any info about him?

I interviewed with Dr. Chamberland in early January! She is super friendly. The entire interview felt super conversational, at one point we started talking about St. Louis sports and live music around STL. Be sure to know your application very well. She picked about 3 things off my activity list where she hit me pretty hard on and wanted to know like every detail. The only thing that slightly caught me off guard was at the very end she said "I only have about 3 minutes to present you to the rest of the admissions committee, what do you want them to know?" I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

I interviewed with Dr. Chamberland in early January! She is super friendly. The entire interview felt super conversational, at one point we started talking about St. Louis sports and live music around STL. Be sure to know your application very well. She picked about 3 things off my activity list where she hit me pretty hard on and wanted to know like every detail. The only thing that slightly caught me off guard was at the very end she said "I only have about 3 minutes to present you to the rest of the admissions committee, what do you want them to know?" I hope this helps! Good luck! :)
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a phone call from a Saint Louis area code this afternoon (I'm from California). My heart dropped, and I ran outside to answer to my destiny. The woman on the other end of the call said, "Hello, we noticed you recently visited our website, and we thought you might still be interested in our product." :smack:

Maybe tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, my interview is at 1:00pm next week. Will I be able to make a 4:50 flight out of STL?
Yeah! Since your interview is after the tour and lunch, you will definitely be able to make it! I go to undergrad in STL and the trip to the airport shouldn't take more than 20/25min from SLU and getting through the (often nonexistent) lines and security is a breeze!

Alternate list as well. I hope I'm high ranked, but certainly can't place hopes in an alternate list.

Same, except I interviewed 1/9. There's still hope.
I interviewed mid-December and also was placed on the alternate list today. This is my third waitlist with no acceptances so I'm starting to freak out a little. Congrats to anyone that got in today though!

Alternate list as well
Interviewed at the beginning of January

Matriculation full or acceptance full though?
Acceptance full (or near full). As in you'll be getting an acceptance as other people decline them, and thus should expect to wait until May or June.

Interviewed 1/9 and also alternate listed today. Looking for advice about update letters. I'm accepted elsewhere, but SLU is my #1 choice by far. Is it best to just ride it out until May?

Interviewed 1/9 and also alternate listed today. Looking for advice about update letters. I'm accepted elsewhere, but SLU is my #1 choice by far. Is it best to just ride it out until May?
This is a weird spot for all of us. My interviewer had me update them with all my current activities and what not, so I don't really have anything new to send them.

This is a weird spot for all of us. My interviewer had me update them with all my current activities and what not, so I don't really have anything new to send them.
Yeah I think it would be best to wait then re-update beginning of May

Have most that interviewed in the new year been placed on the alternate list?

I know someone asked previously if there was a facebook page for accepted students, and they just made one. just search Saint Louis University School of Medicine- Class of 2021

I just canceled my interview and withdrew my application. I hope that one of you wonderful people waiting for the II get my place soon!

Just withdrew my acceptance! I hope one of you gets my spot. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew II, sending good vibes to those in need of one!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know if SLU is receptive to letters of intent? I'm accepted elsewhere, but if I get off this alternate list I would 100% attend SLU. Thoughts? I've seen other posts that are very split on the subject.

Does anybody know if SLU is receptive to letters of intent? I'm accepted elsewhere, but if I get off this alternate list I would 100% attend SLU. Thoughts? I've seen other posts that are very split on the subject.
Might as well give it a shot. Worst scenario is you don't get off the list but that probably would have happened even without sending that letter

Interviewed at SLU recently and was very impressed. I definitely agree with the others about the website doing a not-so-good job at selling the school. Particularly their mobile site which was just a white page with some hyperlinks on it :laugh: The best part of the interview was probably during the lunch when they placed us in small groups with a medstudent so we could ask a ton of questions. Slightly disappointed that there's no official second look day. Definitely hoping for a good news phone call in the upcoming future (any idea how long one has to wait?).

^+1. Though the interior of medschool is definitely better than some of the schools I've been to...

Definitely hoping for a good news phone call in the upcoming future (any idea how long one has to wait?).

I heard back from SLU exactly 1 month after I interviewed which is exactly how long my interviewer told me it would be! Hoping the best for you!

I heard back from SLU exactly 1 month after I interviewed which is exactly how long my interviewer told me it would be! Hoping the best for you!
Thanks! Best of luck with your letter of intent.

So they accept update emails? Is an acknowledgement in a research book for helping proofreed, along with some minor updates with my job and EC's worth it, even though I mentioned these updates were likely to happen soon to my interviewer?

Hey , has anyone been accepted from interviews in January ?

They told me 8 weeks in my January interview so i won't start freaking out until late next month lol
:eek: Looks like my wait has just barely begun.