2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know why my financial aid package would be for 74k for the MD program if the estimated COA is 69k? Is that what everyone’s was around?
I think you can see a breakdown somewhere from the financial aid page that has a breakdown of all the expenses, but yes mine also was around that much

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from admissions? I interviewed in early feb, and I’ve had the seven day status since 4/1.. but I emailed and no response

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone going to second look that didn’t get student housing? If so, where are you staying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about the Betty Siegel Reader Scholarship? I think we're supposed to find out this week.
What is this scholarship? Do you know who qualifies for it and how many students receive it? Haven't heard anything about it.

How long after y'all got accepted did you hear about aid/scholarship money?? My portal says "inquiry access denied"-- whatever that means.

No I didn’t :/

My understanding is that they are supposed to tell you on the next traffic day whether you were accepted or not. If you're not accepted that day you get an email that you're on the alternate list (even though it's all one big list). But if you call the admissions office and give them you AMCAS ID they can tell you if you are on the alternate list. But remember it's all just one big list and there will be a lot of movement after April 30th. If I were you I would just wait but it's a bummer they didn't email you yet.

My understanding is that they are supposed to tell you on the next traffic day whether you were accepted or not. If you're not accepted that day you get an email that you're on the alternate list (even though it's all one big list). But if you call the admissions office and give them you AMCAS ID they can tell you if you are on the alternate list. But remember it's all just one big list and there will be a lot of movement after April 30th. If I were you I would just wait but it's a bummer they didn't email you yet.
I called this morning and gave her my amcas id and she said nothing was showing on her end but today they should be sending emails for acceptance /alternate list.. but they said that Monday too. Does the portal update if you are on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called this morning and gave her my amcas id and she said nothing was showing on her end but today they should be sending emails for acceptance /alternate list.. but they said that Monday too. Does the portal update if you are on the alternate list?
Mine has said "We hope you enjoyed your visit.... 7days..." Since I was interviewed lol. Even after I got accepted. Still says it. But I got an email 2 wks after my December interview saying I was an alternate.

From what I understand it’s only emails but I haven’t heard anything.. are you still waiting to hear back?
I thought it was calls for acceptances and emails for alt list, or are they just doing emails now? I got alternate listed on the last decision date but was hoping today would be another shot.

I thought it was calls for acceptances and emails for alt list, or are they just doing emails now? I got alternate listed on the last decision date but was hoping today would be another shot.
This morning they said all emails would be sent today for alternate list and acceptances when I called so I’m not sure!

This morning they said all emails would be sent today for alternate list and acceptances when I called so I’m not sure!
More waiting then I suppose. I hope you and everyone else who hasn't heard back yet hear something soon!

I think they mostly abandoned they every other Wednesday thing. But that's just my assumption. I got a Monday morning 11am email acceptance.

Does anyone know how to go about getting added to the incoming class Facebook page?

Has anyone heard anything about the Betty Siegel Reader Scholarship? I think we're supposed to find out this week.
I’m also still waiting to hear about it. Another friend was invited to apply and in their confirmation it said that we’d hear by April 20th.

so when I called yesterday they said the admissions committee would be emailing out acceptances/waitlists yesterday. Is it worth it to call today?

oh snap! my portal just updated to the "Your final Admissions Committee decision will be available shortly. "

Hmmm.. never got that email! Who would I contact for that?
I got mine like 3 weeks after being accepted. If you PM me I can give you some info that should help you get added. FYI there’s nothing too exciting on it currently except for a housing spreadsheet.

Does anyone have any input on the MD/MPH program and residency. Is it possible to get into competitive residences such as ophthalmology or do most students lean towards Primary Care?

Does anyone have any input on the MD/MPH program and residency. Is it possible to get into competitive residences such as ophthalmology or do most students lean towards Primary Care?

I'm planning on a non-primary-care specialty as well. At the end of the day though, you can aim for whatever residency you want and MD/MPH shouldn't hinder you. That being said here is the match list for MD/MPH...

MD/MPH Class of 2017 Match List
Institution Program
Thomas Jefferson Univ, Philadelphia, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch, Dallas, TX Internal Medicine
U Miami MSOM/Holy Cross, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Internal Medicine
Childrens Hospital, Oakland, CA Pediatrics
U Texas at Austin Dell Medical School, Austin, TX Pediatrics
Boston Univ Med Ctr, Boston, MA Internal Medicine
U Southern California, Los Angeles, CA Psychiatry
Lehigh Valley Hosp, Allentown, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology
UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA Internal Medicine
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA General Surgery
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA Peds/Psych/Child Psych
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Emergency Medicine
U Illinois COM, Chicago, IL Internal Medicine/UIH
Advocate Lutheran Gen Hosp, Park Ridge, IL Obstetrics-Gynecology
Icahn SOM St Lukes-Roosevelt, New York, NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Southern California, Los Angeles, CA Internal Medicine
Johns Hopkins/Bayview, Baltimore, MD Medicine-Primary
U Minnesota Med School, Minneapolis, MN Medicine-Dermatology
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai, New York, NY Surg-Prelim/Designated
Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY Urology PGY2-2018
Brigham & Womens Hosp, Boston, MA Psychiatry
Memorial Hermann Hosp, Houston, TX Family Medicine
Washington Hospital Ctr, Washington, DC Obstetrics-Gynecology
Rush University Med Ctr, Chicago, IL Internal Medicine
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston, Galveston, TX Orthopaedic Surgery
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr, Torrance, CA Family Medicine
Crozer-Chester Med Ctr, Chester, PA Emergency Medicine
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston, Galveston, TX Internal Medicine
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr, Chicago, IL Pediatrics
U Texas at Austin Dell Medical School, Austin, TX Ob-Gyn/Distinction
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Emergency Medicine
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Internal Medicine
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr, Valhalla, NY Orthopaedic Surgery
Northwestern McGaw/Lurie Peds, Chicago, IL Pediatrics
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr, Winston-Salem, NC Internal Medicine
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr, Torrance, CA Surgery-Preliminary
U Miami/JFK Palm Beach GME Consortium, Atlantis, FL Internal Medicine
UPMC Medical Education, Pittsburgh, PA Psych-Fam Med/McKeesport
Temple Univ Hosp, Philadelphia, PA Medicine-Preliminary
Temple Univ Hosp, Philadelphia, PA Phys Medicine & Rehab PGY2-2018
Johns Hopkins/Bayview, Baltimore, MD Medicine-Primary
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA, Chicago, IL Obstetrics-Gynecology
UC San Diego Med Ctr, San Diego, CA Medicine-Pediatrics
NYU School Of Medicine, New York, NY Internal Medicine
Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA Family Med/Carolyn Downs
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Med-Prelim/Neurology
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Neurology PGY2-2018
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas HSC-Tyler, Tyler, TX Psychiatry

MD/MPH Class of 2016 Match List
Institution Program
San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Southern California, Los Angeles, CA Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Maryland Med Ctr, Baltimore, MD Emergency Medicine
U Miami MSOM/Holy Cross, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Medicine-Preliminary
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Dermatology PGY2-2017
Barnes-Jewish Hosp, St. Louis, MO Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch, Dallas, TX Pediatrics
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Pediatrics
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai, New York, NY Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr, New York, NY Internal Medicine
Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein, Bronx, NY Medicine-Primary/Social Int Med
Tulane Univ SOM, New Orleans, LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Pediatrics
Stony Brook Teach Hosps, Stony Brook, NY Medicine-Pediatrics
U Minnesota Med School, Minneapolis, MN Internal Medicine
U Colorado SOM, Denver, CO Family Med/Denver Hlth
Ohio State University Med Ctr, Columbus, OH Radiology-Diagnostic PGY2-2017
U Miami MSOM/Holy Cross, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Internal Medicine
Christiana Care, Newark, DE Medicine-Pediatrics
Indiana Univ Sch of Med, Indianapolis, IN Pediatrics
Univ Miami/JFK Palm Beach GME Consortium, Atlantis, FL Medicine-Preliminary
B I Deaconess Med Ctr, Boston, MA Radiology-Diagnostic PGY2-2017
UC San Diego Med Ctr, San Diego, CA Neurology PGY2-2017
Northwestern McGaw/Lurie Peds, Chicago, IL Pediatrics
UC San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Psychiatry
Keesler Medical Center, Keesler AFB, MS General Surgery
Univ Miami/JFK Palm Beach GME Consortium, Atlantis, FL Internal Medicine
Detroit Med Ctr/WSU, Detroit, MI Obstetrics-Gynecology
Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, CT Medicine-Preliminary
Emory University, Atlanta, GA Ophthalmology PGY2-2017
Tripler Army Medical Center, Tripler AMC, HI Internal Medicine
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Hollywood, CA Internal Medicine
Indiana Univ Sch of Med, Indianapolis, IN Transitional
U Miami / Bascom Palmer, Miami, FL Ophthalmology PGY2-2017
UC Irvine Med Ctr, Orange, CA Pediatrics/UCI-CHOC
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr, New York, NY Pediatrics
LSU SOM, New Orleans, LA General Surgery
Icahn SOM Elmhurst Hosp Ctr, Elmhurst, NY Medicine-Preliminary
Barnes-Jewish Hosp, St Louis, MO Phys Medicine & Rehab PGY2-2017
Temple Univ Hosp, Philadelphia, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ, Providence, RI Internal Medicine
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL General Surgery
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Emergency Medicine
Childrens National Med Ctr, Washington, DC Peds-Primary/Community Health
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr, New York, NY Internal Medicine
NYU School Of Medicine, New York, NY Dermatology PGY2-2017
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI Family Medicine
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston, Galveston, TX Plastic Surgery (Integrated)
George Washington Univ, Washington, DC Obstetrics-Gynecology
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr, Chicago, IL Radiology-Diagnostic PGY2-2017

MD/MPH Class of 2015 Match List
Institution Program
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Psychiatry
Childrens Hospital, Los Angeles, CA Pediatrics
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr, Torrance, CA Family Medicine
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA Neurological Surgery
U New Mexico SOM, Albuquerque, NM Internal Medicine
U New Mexico SOM, Albuquerque, NM Emergency Medicine
U Miami MSOM/Palm Beach Reg Campus, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Med-Preliminary/Holy Cross
Kaiser Permanente, Los Angeles, CA Radiation-Oncology PGY2-2016
U Miami MSOM/Palm Beach Reg Campus, Atlantis, FL General Surgery
UC Irvine Med Ctr, Orange, CA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai, New York, NY General Surgery
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Obstetrics-Gynecology
Tulane Univ SOM, New Orleans, LA Internal Medicine
Yale-New Haven Hosp, New Haven, CT Pediatrics
U Cincinnati Med Ctr, Cincinnati, OH Medicine-Pediatrics
UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh, PA Transitional
Case Western/Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr, Cleveland, OH Radiation Oncology PGY2-2016
Jackson Memorial Hosp, Miami, FL Anesthesiology
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Internal Medicine
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State, Hershey, PA General Surgery
Abington Mem Hosp, Abington, PA General Surgery
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai, New York, NY Plastic Surgery (Integrated)
UC San Diego Med Ctr, San Diego, CA Psychiatry-Family Med
Med Ctr Central Georgia/Mercer U SOM, Macon, GA General Surgery
Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI Psychiatry
Emory Univ SOM, Atlanta, GA Pediatrics
Mt Sinai Med Ctr, Miami, FL General Surgery
Texas Tech U Affil, El Paso, TX General Surgery
Childrens Hospital, Boston, MA Peds/Urban Health Advocacy-BMC
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr, New York, NY Pediatrics
Christiana Care, Wilmington, DE Medicine-Pediatrics
Tulane Univ SOM, New Orleans, LA Internal Medicine
Medical University of SC, Charleston, SC Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai, New York, NY Internal Medicine
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI General Surgery
Moses H Cone Mem Hosp, Greensboro, NC Internal Medicine
U Miami MSOM/Palm Beach Reg Campus, Atlantis, FL Internal Medicine/JFK
George Washington Univ, Washington, DC Medicine-Primary
Orlando Health, Orlando, FL Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM Elmhurst Hosp Ctr, New York, NY Medicine-Primary
U Miami MSOM/Palm Beach Reg Campus, Atlantis, FL Medicine-Preliminary/JFK
UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA Ophthalmology PGY2-2016
Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, GA Family Medicine
U Miami MSOM/Palm Beach Reg Campus, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Med-Preliminary/Holy Cross
UC San Francisco, Fresno, CA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Harvard Longwood Psych, Boston, MA Psychiatry
UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA Emergency Medicine

The program shouldn’t hold you back, but if you are gunning for something overly competitive or for academics, I would imagine the potential for more publications from doing research over summer heavily outweighs having extra class time to get an MPH. Reading into the match list isn’t the best idea because most people are PC oriented.

Has anyone who emailed the "[email protected]" gotten a response? This is the email that the portal tells you to email after 7 days if you dont hear back etc. However, a few people who've told me they emailed it they never got a response and all of my other communication and updates I've sent have gone to "[email protected]" to which I have gotten a response. So I'm wondering if the former might be a typo or transposition...

Edit:
I sent the email and then received the WL email shortly after

Last edited:
Hope everyone had fun at the 2nd look events yesterday!

I wasn’t there because half the M2s had the CBSE exam (practice step 1) during the BBQ. But as always happy to answer any questions you all have about Miller, the city of Miami, Jackson, why I’m not studying right now, etc.

Just tag me so I’m sure to see the question.

Hope everyone had fun at the 2nd look events yesterday!

I wasn’t there because half the M2s had the CBSE exam (practice step 1) during the BBQ. But as always happy to answer any questions you all have about Miller, the city of Miami, Jackson, why I’m not studying right now, etc.

Just tag me so I’m sure to see the question.

I want to split an apartment in Brickell, but I have a couple questions. Do the places in Brickell lease by bedroom or do me and my roommates need to pick someone to put their name on it and then everybody else send their rent to that person? Also, how far in advance should we try to secure an apartment if we start the MD/MPH program June 25? Can we get an apartment over the phone?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Thank you!

I want to split an apartment in Brickell, but I have a couple questions. Do the places in Brickell lease by bedroom or do me and my roommates need to pick someone to put their name on it and then everybody else send their rent to that person? Also, how far in advance should we try to secure an apartment if we start the MD/MPH program June 25? Can we get an apartment over the phone?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Thank you!

No problem!

In brickell the vast majority of apartments are condos, as in they are owned by a person (usually some random dude in Brazil/Colombia/Venezuela) and managed by one of a thousand management companies in th city. Best way to find the place is to get a realtor who can help set everything up. I was surprised by that when I first heard it, but trust me it’s true. Plus you don’t have to pay the realtor, they just get commission from the landlord.

Usually everyone’s names go on the lease, but one person handles the payment...they don’t really lease “by the bedroom”.

As for when to get an apartment I signed a lease in July and moved in in August, a week before school started. I would suggest trying to have at least one roommate on the ground in Miami to look at places if possible. You certainly can negotiate over the phone, but there’s no substitute for actually seeing the place.

If you want a nice, reasonably priced safe bet for a building the best ones are Axis and Soma in my opinion. Axis has awesome views and soma has great amenities. And both have a leasing office that can help you negotiate your lease, so you don’t need a realtor for those buildings.

It's very possible. As second years, we obviously haven't applied yet but I have a couple classmates gunning for derm, one plastics, another ortho, I'm interested in EM, etc. Being frank though, the drawbacks are that we don't have the luxury of a free summer between M1 and M2 to do research. We have to use that time to complete 150 hours of public health field work but there are ways to get around that. You can either complete those hours before summer or try to find an experience that gets your research AND allows you to complete your hours. Also a fair amount of classmates do research throughout the year.

All in all, the MD/MPH program will keep you very busy and can be annoying at times but looking back, it's very manageable. I'd say most of us love the program save maybe one or two.

andddddd..............officially alternate listed

For everyone on alternate list here's some encouragement in these trying times:

I received MD alternate list email on Friday and MD/MPH alternate list email this morning around 8:30. Then I received an MD/MPH acceptance email at 9:30. Literally I was wait-listed then accepted within an hour. They are clearly moving through the alternate list and there's plenty of hope for everyone!!

Reactions: 5 users
Rejected, Pre-II, never scored.

Now, I'm usually the biggest advocate of not getting mad at schools for their procedures, or the length of time it takes to process an application, but I am quite upset by not being informed of being scored. Some candidates get the luxury of knowing that their app has been looked at and evaluated while others do not? That's a bit unfair - you can't treat a portion of your applicants one way, and another portion a different way.

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected, Pre-II, never scored.

Now, I'm usually the biggest advocate of not getting mad at schools for their procedures, or the length of time it takes to process an application, but I am quite upset by not being informed of being scored. Some candidates get the luxury of knowing that their app has been looked at and evaluated while others do not? That's a bit unfair - you can't treat a portion of your applicants one way, and another portion a different way.

Sorry bud, that does suck. It probably doesn't make it any better, but I don't think the application status system that they use here is quite as robust as most of us like to make it out to be. I think sometimes the status isn't updated and changed when someone is scored, and sometimes it is updated too early (see: the people who are waiting on post-II decisions right now). That being said, I think they try to make it somewhat transparent (a lot of schools don't update you on anything pre-II or post-II status) by adding those statuses and it kind of comes back to bite ppl now and then when it doesn't work as intended. The whole process in general is fairly non-transparent and shady, and it's a shame Miami didn't give you the updates, but I think it's a product of the bigger system tbh.

To all those accepted - is there anything due yet (immunizatios, background checks)? I haven’t gotten any info in a while. Thanks!