2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To all those accepted - is there anything due yet (immunizatios, background checks)? I haven’t gotten any info in a while. Thanks!

They sent me a background check a few days after my acceptance. But they haven't launched their prematriculation website yet. When they do it will have all of that stuff on there. http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/freshman-prematriculation-website

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected pre-II and never scored as well. I feel completely disrespected by not being scored this entire time. Makes me feel like they didn’t even look at my application. If you’re going to update some people, you HAVE to update the rest of the applicants. Miami Miller was by far my worst application experience.

Those of you who never got scored: that really sucks and I'm sorry but at the same time many other schools may not look at your application either and just don't say anything and reject you. Although it's obviously frustrating and not a perfect system by any means, I do think it's a little sensitive to look down on Miami when realistically they did what a lot of med schools do in this process. There were a few schools I applied to and never heard anything from the whole cycle, just to be rejected at the end. Did they actually look at my application? Who knows, but that's a gamble you take when applying to medical school. You might get accepted, you might get an interview, you might get rejected, you might get screened out completely after sending in a secondary. Some schools I applied to didn't even have a secondary portal where I could check my status, and Miami was one of the only ones who even updated saying my application was looked at. Medical schools receive thousands of applications and a LOT of them don't specifically look at every single one, whether or not they are transparent about it. This process is crazy and unpredictable and frustrating and we may never know how each school actually sorts applications to be reviewed, it's all really the luck of the draw. I sincerely hope that those of you who did not have luck with Miami had luck elsewhere!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-II and never scored as well. I feel completely disrespected by not being scored this entire time. Makes me feel like they didn’t even look at my application. If you’re going to update some people, you HAVE to update the rest of the applicants. Miami Miller was by far my worst application experience.

Hi everyone. Long time stalker, but i see this come up all the time and I just wanted to quickly address it. When you app doesn't get the scored update, it means that you were rejected, not that your app wasn't looked it. At miami, 3 people have to give you decent scores for you to be invited to an interview. If you score too low, you get rejected and they never update your portal. So again you only get the scored update when you meet a certain cutoff score and will eventually get an interview invite.

Reactions: 2 users
Those of you who never got scored: that really sucks and I'm sorry but at the same time many other schools may not look at your application either and just don't say anything and reject you. Although it's obviously frustrating and not a perfect system by any means, I do think it's a little sensitive to look down on Miami when realistically they did what a lot of med schools do in this process. There were a few schools I applied to and never heard anything from the whole cycle, just to be rejected at the end. Did they actually look at my application? Who knows, but that's a gamble you take when applying to medical school. You might get accepted, you might get an interview, you might get rejected, you might get screened out completely after sending in a secondary. Some schools I applied to didn't even have a secondary portal where I could check my status, and Miami was one of the only ones who even updated saying my application was looked at. Medical schools receive thousands of applications and a LOT of them don't specifically look at every single one, whether or not they are transparent about it. This process is crazy and unpredictable and frustrating and we may never know how each school actually sorts applications to be reviewed, it's all really the luck of the draw. I sincerely hope that those of you who did not have luck with Miami had luck elsewhere!
That’s entirely my point though.... you were able to see that your application was looked at, but a lot of applicants never got that chance, which is unfair. I also had schools that never updated any of their applicants (unless they got an interview) until the end, but I find that fairer than keeping some in the dark and others updated.

That’s entirely my point though.... you were able to see that your application was looked at, but a lot of applicants never got that chance, which is unfair. I also had schools that never updated any of their applicants (unless they got an interview) until the end, but I find that fairer than keeping some in the dark and others updated.

The updated "scored" status corresponds with students who are under consideration for an interview. Not getting the status means that your application hasn't moved on to the next phase. It might have been unclear, but that's how this process is. Everyone agrees that the process as a whole sucks and there are probably better ways to do it, but this is pretty standard.

Reactions: 1 users

A lot of people (yourself included) said they were upset that you never got scored and that's what I was addressing. Schools that don't update at all could have also not looked at your application and rejected you. I do understand what you're saying, and I'm sure that they aim to update the portals as often as they can. At the end of the day most admissions offices only have a few staff members to begin with, so I think they try their best to keep applicants informed of their status (unlike most schools), but they also have a lot of other duties that are much more important than updating 8000+ portals. I was accepted back in October and my portal still said "your decision will be available shortly" for months after that. I think this kind of stuff is exactly why a lot of schools just don't say anything at all and you're just in the dark for 8 months, because when they do try to keep applicants informed it creates a lot more problems for the admissions office. I totally understand that it's frustrating and not "fair" to everyone, but neither is the application process in general, and I think in this situation specifically, they did have good intentions even if they didn't execute them perfectly.

is today a decision day? or have we basically figured out they are no longer sticking to the 5 pm on wednesdays schedule for announcing acceptances? im still chilling on the waitlist, hoping to come off soon!!

is today a decision day? or have we basically figured out they are no longer sticking to the 5 pm on wednesdays schedule for announcing acceptances? im still chilling on the waitlist, hoping to come off soon!!
They haven’t accepted anyone on Wednesday’s since March 23 but It seems like they’re offering waitlist spots on Monday mornings

Got accepted this morning to MD program! Pulled from alternate list since March 7th. Good luck to you all!!

Reactions: 6 users
I have, got the alt. List email for both programs on Friday and Monday, 6 waitlists now lol got that A though!
That's awesome!

For alt list people, they told us at second look that this year they have the most students with multiple acceptances of any year up to now. So that makes it seem like there will be a decent amount of movement, unless everyone ends up choosing Miami... which is entirely possible, but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
For any accepted students waiting on a financial aid award decision, I got a reply via email today. They said the next round of financial aid decisions should be released by Friday.

Anyone accepted MD/MPH but hoping to hear back for MD only?
I am. I like both programs but I'm leaning towards MD because of the start date, more Jackson residency time, and free time/routine for research and extra-curric.

Anyone still have the “ "We hope you enjoyed your visit” status on their portal and still not gotten an Alt list email yet? I’ve had this status for about 2.5 weeks now. Emailed admissions a week and a half ago and they said decisions would be mailed by the end of the day but I still haven’t heard anything. Just trying to make sure I actually make it onto the alt list haha. Interviewed 2/16

Anyone still have the “ "We hope you enjoyed your visit” status on their portal and still not gotten an Alt list email yet? I’ve had this status for about 2.5 weeks now. Emailed admissions a week and a half ago and they said decisions would be mailed by the end of the day but I still haven’t heard anything. Just trying to make sure I actually make it onto the alt list haha. Interviewed 2/16
Have faith, we’re all on the alt. List at some point. Took awhile to get my email too

I interviewed that day too and I called and then they sent me the alt list email

Anyone hear back about the Betty Siegel Reader Scholarship yet?

Anyone hear back about the Betty Siegel Reader Scholarship yet?
Do you apply for that separately or is it part of the financial aid decisions? They told me another round of financial aid decisions would be going out today.

Do you apply for that separately or is it part of the financial aid decisions? They told me another round of financial aid decisions would be going out today.
Applied for it separately, but they told us we would hear by today. So good to know they are sending more financial aid decisions today!

To all those accepted - is there anything due yet (immunizatios, background checks)? I haven’t gotten any info in a while. Thanks!

They sent me a background check a few days after my acceptance. But they haven't launched their prematriculation website yet. When they do it will have all of that stuff on there. http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/freshman-prematriculation-website

I haven't gotten any official correspondence about prematriculation requirements, but for anyone else who wants to know what the immunization requirements are I found this on the Student Health Services website: Medical student requirements (see the "medical student immunization form" for specifics)

Applied for it separately, but they told us we would hear by today. So good to know they are sending more financial aid decisions today!
How did you KNOW to apply for it seperately?

I feel like this has already been covered but just to ensure, do we have to fill out the scholarship form to be considered for merit scholarships or are we automatically considered? Or will the scholarship form put us on their radar?

Last edited:
I still haven't heard back...! Have you?
They just updated my financial aid on CaneLink. Got absolutely zero aid (just loans) even though I will be paying for my education entirely on my own. Kinda sucks. Air Force here I come?

They just updated my financial aid on CaneLink. Got absolutely zero aid (just loans) even though I will be paying for my education entirely on my own. Kinda sucks. Air Force here I come?
If it makes you feel better, same here and I alrdy have a bunch of loans. Just live like a pauper for a while after residency haha.

how do we get added to the facebook group?
I got an email with a link to the Fbook page but it didn't work so I messaged Joeli Roth on Facebook and asked her to add me!

Is anyone still waiting to hear post-interview? Not sure if I should contact them or keep waiting to hear? I interviewed mid-feb

Still waiting on financial aid despite being accepted March 7th with two inquiry emails.. it will most likely cost them my spot. Not saying I am irreplaceable by ANY means, but this is embarrassing correspondence all the way through the cycle, not just post-acceptance. Compared to other schools I've been accepted to, this is by far the worst, and it makes you wonder if this is how they treat students in school as well.

I spoke to the admission office last week and was told that there was no scholarship available at the moment. However, situation will be changed since April 30th is approaching and scholarship may be released as soon as someone drops.

Still waiting on financial aid despite being accepted March 7th with two inquiry emails.. it will most likely cost them my spot. Not saying I am irreplaceable by ANY means, but this is embarrassing correspondence all the way through the cycle, not just post-acceptance. Compared to other schools I've been accepted to, this is by far the worst, and it makes you wonder if this is how they treat students in school as well.
Your experience is the opposite of mine. I have found Miami to be among the most transparent. Take a look at Baylor's page for example. They are the worst. Man MANY people who interviewed back in the fall and have had absolutely no communication. At least you know you got in. As far as FA, I may be wrong but it seems to me Miami spends most of their available money on merit scholarships. I know I and several other people on this thread got very generous ones.

I spoke to the admission office last week and was told that there was no scholarship available at the moment. However, situation will be changed since April 30th is approaching and scholarship may be released as soon as someone drops.

Your experience is the opposite of mine. I have found Miami to be among the most transparent. Take a look at Baylor's page for example. They are the worst. Man MANY people who interviewed back in the fall and have had absolutely no communication. At least you know you got in. As far as FA, I may be wrong but it seems to me Miami spends most of their available money on merit scholarships. I know I and several other people on this thread got very generous ones.

Thank you both for this info! See, if the school would have just sent me a short email stating this I would know what the deal was and made a decision sooner, which would also help them in the long run.
A quick, simple e-mail goes a long way.

In comparison, another school's Dean called me today and asked if I had any questions to help me make a decision, and their financial aid info was sent a while ago. It really is night and day. I am sure they aren't the worst, just the worst that I experienced this cycle in comparison with schools that I went through the interview process with.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a scholarship but I imagine many people are at this point. I wonder how they decide who to award the merit scholarships to, seen that it seems like there are a ton of very successful, intelligent prospective students with a variety of talents.

Thank you both for this info! See, if the school would have just sent me a short email stating this I would know what the deal was and made a decision sooner, which would also help them in the long run.

In comparison, another school's Dean called me today and asked if I had any questions to help me make a decision, and their financial aid info was sent a while ago. It really is night and day. I am sure they aren't the worst, just the worst that I experienced this cycle in comparison with schools that I went through the interview process with.

Haha shoot, none of the schools I’ve been accepted to have had their deans call me. That’s pretty nice though. Miami was actually very timely and corresponded clearly with me as well (compared to other places), sorry about the tough luck with that :/. If you decide to stick it out with Miami we’d love to have ya haha.

I’m another one in the good experience camp. They’ve been super responsive about financial aid for me, as well as truthful. To tack on to other information, the don’t give need grants/scholarships. There is mainly only merit/ diversity scholarships, making it all very simple to understand (although I’ve heard many time over that they’re generous).

I have a question geared toward current students. I’m interested in global health and would like to volunteer abroad with underserved populations throughout medical school. Are there significantly more opportunities for MD MPH students to do this than MD students? I am addmitted to the MD program.

I’m aware of the medical mission trips but are there trips where you stay for longer periods of time? If so are those available for both MD and MD MPH students? Any information would be wonderful! Thank you.

I have a question geared toward current students. I’m interested in global health and would like to volunteer abroad with underserved populations throughout medical school. Are there significantly more opportunities for MD MPH students to do this than MD students? I am addmitted to the MD program.

I’m aware of the medical mission trips but are there trips where you stay for longer periods of time? If so are those available for both MD and MD MPH students? Any information would be wonderful! Thank you.
These opportunities are equally available but the differences is that a project is required for the MPH degree, ie. You’ll have to do something public health related during your time abroad and put in a certain number of hours instead of doing whatever you want

Today the administration brought therapy dogs to Campus and arranged for everyone to have free massages in the library because we were feeling stressed about the upcoming Exams.

Incase the beautiful April weather wasn’t relaxing enough on its own...just thought I’d let you guys know.

Reactions: 7 users
Today the administration brought therapy dogs to Campus and arranged for everyone to have free massages in the library because we were feeling stressed about the upcoming Exams.

Incase the beautiful April weather wasn’t relaxing enough on its own...just thought I’d let you guys know.

quite rude of them not to send personal massages to all the prospective students as well. I think I'm going to have to decline now.

quite rude of them not to send personal massages to all the prospective students as well. I think I'm going to have to decline now.

Now there’s an idea. Nothing like some good old fashioned NCAA-style recruiting violations to fill out the ranks.

Pics or it didn't happen

Just got rejection email. Interviewed 2/16. Thought everyone interviewed pretty much got waitlisted?

For all accepted students, when should I expect to hear pre-matriculation communications?
Also I can not access my financial aid in the canelink (I was accepted on April 18th). Who should I reach to fix this issue? Your help is greatly appreciated.

For all accepted students, when should I expect to hear pre-matriculation communications?
Also I can not access my financial aid in the canelink (I was accepted on April 18th). Who should I reach to fix this issue? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Did you get an email that the fin aid was available? Mine was only accessible once I logged in using chrome, I kept getting an error message before that. Also I haven't received too much pre-matriculation information from them just yet.