2017-2018 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to the OOS acceptances!! I would do many things, some of them illegal, to be your future classmate. Would you mind sharing stats?
Drugs

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to the OOS acceptances!! I would do many things, some of them illegal, to be your future classmate. Would you mind sharing stats?

3.98 GPA, 515 MCAT. It's an awesome program for sure!!

Reactions: 1 user
So this is the extremely neurotic Pre-med coming out in me, but when did you guys get your email hashtagpremed and Baggler? I am just wondering if they are maybe working backwards by interview batches in sending them? I interviewed back in August and I'm hoping there is still some hope that I am going to hear back today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lizzy m? How were the interviews??

LizzyM of 77. The interviews were supposed to be conversational and relaxed, but my first one turned out to be a stress interview. The second one was pretty chill though. I think I just got that one rogue interviewer for that first one.

Ruraldoc85, I got the email at 11:40 CST.

OOS student just got accepted!!! Is there a seat deposit?

He guys and girls, I am an in-state Texas applicant with a LizzyM of 68.5. My GPA is in the 3.6 area and my MCAT is 513. My application for this school, Galveston and San Antonio were transmitted in early July, within the first 10 days of the month. My secondary applications for the other TMDSAS schools were also submitted in early and mid July except for Dell Medical School from which I did not receive a secondary. I have not had any interview invites from Texas schools. Should I be concerned? Is there anyone else here who has not received an interview invite from this school and was completed in July?

Last edited:
He guys and girls, I am an in-state Texas applicant with a LizzyM of 68.5. My GPA is in the 3.6 area and my MCAT is 513. My application for this school, Galveston and San Antonio were transmitted in early July, within the first 10 days of the month. My secondary applications for the other TMDSAS schools were also submitted in early and mid July except for Dell Medical School from which I did not receive a secondary. I have not had any interview invites from Texas schools. Should I be concerned? Is there anyone else here who has not received an interview invited from this school and was completed in July?

I haven't received one from here. Complete July as well. However, McGovern hasn't given out any IIs this month*, so I would think they would be sending some out in the coming weeks. Just playing the waiting game at this point

Edit:*based off of reported IIs on SDN - probably not representative of the whole applicant pool.

Last edited:
He guys and girls, I am an in-state Texas applicant with a LizzyM of 68.5. My GPA is in the 3.6 area and my MCAT is 513. My application for this school, Galveston and San Antonio were transmitted in early July, within the first 10 days of the month. My secondary applications for the other TMDSAS schools were also submitted in early and mid July except for Dell Medical School from which I did not receive a secondary. I have not had any interview invites from Texas schools. Should I be concerned? Is there anyone else here who has not received an interview invited from this school and was completed in July?
There's still a good amount of time for interviews, I don't think you should worry too much right now. I know it's really easy to be anxious about everything, but I agree that it's just a waiting game for many right now.

I haven't received one from here. Complete July as well. However, McGovern hasn't given out any IIs this month, so I would think they would be sending some out in the coming weeks. Just playing the waiting game at this point
How do you know they haven't sent any II this month? That sounds like good news for us. Thanks for instilling hope in me.

I'm just going by what people reported on this forum. So they may or may not have, I suppose.
They probably did send IIs this month. We just didn't hear about them on this forum because most people probably don't post here. I just wish we knew what dates they send II each month. That would be awesome.

They probably did send IIs this month. We just didn't hear about them on this forum because most people probably don't post here. I just wish we knew what dates they send II each month. That would be awesome.

It's still too soon to start worrying about it. Let's* all just hold hands and keep each other calm haha

Edit: *grammar

Last edited:
Accepted!! I'm an OOS reapplicant. LizzyM 69 and McGovern is the only place I have ever interviewed (last year and this year). So this is my first acceptance! Can't believe it! Feel free to PM me if you want. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, our county hospital is about ~15 minutes away from the TMC (which means parking is very cheap) and only McGovern rotates there.

A bit of a bump, but are you talking about Ben Taub? During my Baylor interview, we toured there and were told that BCM students rotate there as well.

A bit of a bump, but are you talking about Ben Taub? During my Baylor interview, we toured there and were told that BCM students rotate there as well.

LBJ

When is the last interview date here?

II JUST NOW IM CRYING THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL!!

Transmitted late May.."under review" mid June

Reactions: 10 users
II JUST NOW IM CRYING THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL!!

Transmitted late May.."under review" mid June
Congratulations. Your good news gives me hope. It's nice to see that they are interviewing early applicants at this point in the cycle. My application transmitted in early July so I am hoping they will reconsider me for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Can vouch for the dopeness of the chocolate cake

Reactions: 2 users
Best interview day meal thus far

Reactions: 3 users
Have you interviewed in San Antonio yet?
I interviewed at both and will give my vote for McGovern. Those fajitas and cake were so tasty. San Antonio was ok I guess, but I was disappointed that in the land of delicious Mexican food we did build your own mediocre pasta. Such a missed opportunity in my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I concur that the spread at McGovern was delish. I actually went back for seconds, something that I did not do at the other schools. My waistline wouldn't allow me to finish a second choco cake though, even though there were 4 available because our table were not full with other applicants.

Lol I guess I'm just a sucker for pasta then. The fajitas were great, but for me it was the 2nd best interview lunch in Texas

Lol I guess I'm just a sucker for pasta then. The fajitas were great, but for me it was the 2nd best interview lunch in Texas

My thoughts on interview meals....McGovern has a kick-ass lunch spread. Long feeds you better tho.. cos of the better breakfast + ice cream. A&M temple fed me so much I felt like I gained 10 pounds there (nice ass breakfast, lunch and then pre/post interview coffee and even more snacks lol). Dell feeds you so little ...their 'breakfast' will not help you break any kinda fast. UTSW's bbq is legit...after three of those sandwiches, I was in a food coma lol. El Paso, Lubbock, and UTMB have nothing special..just basic.

PS - I should probably go re-rank my TMDSAS schools based off meals lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
El Paso's meal was very personal and special because it seemed each dish was brought from home by one of the faculty or staff and not outsourced to a restaurant or caterer.

I still have not heard from McGovern and they received my app in like july

Man, I must have hit A&M Temple on an off day because their food was the worst of all my interviews but everyone else keeps talking about how good it was. I'm just going to go ahead and put a food rank list out there (not at all representative of my actual rank list lol):
1. Long
2. McGovern
3. UTMB
4. UTSW
5. Tech Lubbock
6. Dell
7. Tech El Paso (again differs from what others say-ours seemed very catered)
8. A&M

El Paso's meal was very personal and special because it seemed each dish was brought from home by one of the faculty or staff and not outsourced to a restaurant or caterer.

Lol what? That was definitely not the case when I went. Every school’s lunch was catered.

Lol what? That was definitely not the case when I went. Every school’s lunch was catered.
Yeah, each dish was different. Not part of a theme. More like a potluck. It was their 1st of the cycle, so perhaps they catered subsequently.

Last edited:
Any OOS applicants know about how long it takes for McGovern to make a decision on us? I know some acceptances were given out Oct 16

UTMBs food was excellent, although I was served food that wouldn’t be out of place at Thanksgiving and my interview was in early August...

I especially liked McGovern’s breakfast, and good thing, too, because I was starving. I think I had three of the tacos and a sandwich? Whatever fit on one plate.

I could feel the cold stare of the admissions directors as I gobbled down their food...

I'm out of state submitted my application almost deadline to UT houston, UTMB, UTSA and Tulane. Do I have a chance to be accepted, my GPA is 3.96 and MCAT 516. I have a good EC's shadow and volunteer.

I'm out of state submitted my application almost deadline to UT houston, UTMB, UTSA and Tulane. Do I have a chance to be accepted, my GPA is 3.96 and MCAT 516. I have a good EC's shadow and volunteer.
Chances are pretty low. These schools will only take 20 OOS. Although your stats are great, you are too late for texas schools

Chances are pretty low. These schools will only take 20 OOS. Although your stats are great, you are too late for texas schools
Thanks...wish there's a miracle..lol

I wouldn't count yourself out. Your stats are stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up a few dec/nov interviews.

I wouldn't count yourself out. Your stats are stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up a few dec/nov interviews.
Thanks, how long if status is under review...how many weeks to receive an II? I'm thinking positive.

Thanks, how long if status is under review...how many weeks to receive an II? I'm thinking positive.

I know some students who have submitted on/near the deadline like you and heard back within two weeks. I don't personally know of any students who have heard back sooner, but I am sure there are some. Some kids on the utsouthwestern thread submitted pretty close to the deadline and got an II a couple days later.

I know some students who have submitted on/near the deadline like you and heard back within two weeks. I don't personally know of any students who have heard back sooner, but I am sure there are some. Some kids on the utsouthwestern thread submitted pretty close to the deadline and got an II a couple days later.
Thanks, I'm happy to hear and I don't lost my hope.

I'm a double major with a minor...does it help my application?

We can't say, but I don't think they have a special preference for majors/minors/doubles. But it does make you stand out!