2017-2018 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've no idea whether Cornell cares about LOI, but as a general rule: only send letter of intent to one school! I was told at an interview that Deans of Admissions talk. Take it seriously and only send if it is the school you would absolutely attend
Yeah for sure, just on a moral standpoint I would. But I was wondering about Cornell because it is in fact the one school I would want to send it to

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah for sure, just on a moral standpoint I would. But I was wondering about Cornell because it is in fact the one school I would want to send it to
Just wondering; I've never heard of LOI letters before; is now typically the time when you would send one?

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering; I've never heard of LOI letters before; is now typically the time when you would send one?
haha thats why I'm asking you guys, I just read about them on another thread a week or so ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you send an application update to cornell?

I've sent them a pre-II ITA update and a post-II publication update. Both times I sent them to the wcmc admissions email. Both times they responded, acknowledging my updates.

How long after sending a pre-II ITA update did you receive your II? Best of luck to you!

Those who have recently received interviews--what dates are still available? Holding out hope!

I had a nightmare last night that I got rejected by Cornell pre-II. I woke up, grabbed my phone, and checked my email. It was the first time I was *somewhat* happy to have silence.

Reactions: 5 users
Any recent IIs to report? It seems pretty quiet from Cornell recently.....

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone sent an ITA e-mail because they will be in NY for work or to visit friends/family? I'm hesitant to do this given the phrasing from WCMC's complete e-mail: "If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, you are welcome to send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be in the area" (i.e. it's very specific to being in NYC for an interview) but since I will be flying cross-country to NY I would love to take advantage of the opportunity if possible

Congrats to the Tri-I acceptees who heard the good news yesterday! Happy to answer any questions and dispel any thoughts of going anywhere else besides here! =]

Has anyone sent an ITA e-mail because they will be in NY for work or to visit friends/family? I'm hesitant to do this given the phrasing from WCMC's complete e-mail: "If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, you are welcome to send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be in the area" (i.e. it's very specific to being in NYC for an interview) but since I will be flying cross-country to NY I would love to take advantage of the opportunity if possible
To be completely honest, I would probably recommend that you shouldn't email them because you are visiting friends/family. The point of an ITA email is to defray expenses for candidates who live far enough away and who will actually be interviewing in the area. Being ITA because of leisure and not because you absolutely have to shows that making a trip back to NYC shouldn't be a problem for you. I think you might actually put your application at a slight disadvantage by sending an ITA for your situation because it could potentially give your reviewer a sense that you are entitled to an interview because of it's convenience for you. The sense of entitlement is definitely one way for certain that you can guarantee that your application will be viewed unfavorably. This is not to say that you are an "entitled person," but sometimes your honest intentions can be misinterpreted as such especially as reviewers are going through thousands of applications. It would be nice if we could all expedite the review of our applications instead of waiting silently for answers but you have to trust the process. If their process follows true to years past, many individuals will start to be hearing news about rejections either this week or next week. Best of luck to you in your application cycle!

To be completely honest, I would probably recommend that you shouldn't email them because you are visiting friends/family. The point of an ITA email is to defray expenses for candidates who live far enough away and who will actually be interviewing in the area. Being ITA because of leisure and not because you absolutely have to shows that making a trip back to NYC shouldn't be a problem for you. I think you might actually put your application at a slight disadvantage by sending an ITA for your situation because it could potentially give your reviewer a sense that you are entitled to an interview because of it's convenience for you. The sense of entitlement is definitely one way for certain that you can guarantee that your application will be viewed unfavorably. This is not to say that you are an "entitled person," but sometimes your honest intentions can be misinterpreted as such especially as reviewers are going through thousands of applications. It would be nice if we could all expedite the review of our applications instead of waiting silently for answers but you have to trust the process. If their process follows true to years past, many individuals will start to be hearing news about rejections either this week or next week. Best of luck to you in your application cycle!

Here's a different take. I did this for a school in St. Louis and got an interview. I was visiting family in St. Louis and since I live on the coast, the tickets were going to be costly, especially if I had to make the trip twice. So I emailed the admissions office stating that I will be in the St. Louis area (you don't even have to state you have another interview) and that it would cut down travel costs if you would be willing to extend an interview between so and so dates. Say you understand if the admission committee will not be able to accommodate your request. Obviously, your request will not be honored all the time (quite understandably). In my opinion, the only way you can be "entitled" in this situation is to expect your request to be honored all the time. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to the Tri-I acceptees who heard the good news yesterday! Happy to answer any questions and dispel any thoughts of going anywhere else besides here! =]
What are the Tri-I acceptees

Any idea when MD decisions come out? It seems like in previous years it really varied from late Feb to mid March! :O

Any idea when MD decisions come out? It seems like in previous years it really varied from late Feb to mid March! :O
That's in over two months! You can hopefully do some other stuff in the meantime while we find the answer to this pressing question;)

One question I have in mind to the current students is what are your thoughts on taking step 1 so early? Do you feel its enough time to prepare or do you think you would benefit from taking step 1 after rotations/additional time to study?​

Last edited:
Rejected pre-II today. Not at all surprised; I could see that one coming from a mile away. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Sick of schools not rejecting me even tho I know i'll just get rejected later on.

Sorry to hear about it though and wishing you the best throughout the cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Sick of schools not rejecting me even tho I know i'll just get rejected later on.

Sorry to hear about it though and wishing you the best throughout the cycle!
I know, it's kind of a relief to finally get rejected just so I can stop checking the dang portal.

Thank you, and same to you. :)

Lol, sorry. MD only, OOS, LizzyM 70-72, complete 9/19.
Sorry to hear :( I guess the purge starts now....I'm frantically refreshing my email at this stage (being the neurotic person I am). Best of luck for your remaining applications, and congrats on your DO acceptance already!

**** and so it begins!

66FCC84D-D3D0-461C-BA15-16D7E2A3ED1B.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Also rejected pre-II yesterday via email. I was complete 10/09

Complete mid August and heard nothing yet!! Maybe on hold pile?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
True nightmare before Christmas right here. Silence, complete early July.

Nothing like waking up to a sweeet R. Complete Late August. LM 71.

Rejected and I’ve never been so relieved to finally have an answer lol

Best of luck to you all!

Really feeling that R coming on. Complete 8/3, update 10/30, LM 67. *runs and hides from the axe*

Really feeling that R coming on. Complete 8/3, update 10/30, LM 67. *runs and hides from the axe*

Well here it is. Guess I didnt run fast enough. Rejected just now. Complete early August. LM 67. Not surprised at all.