2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took this to mean like "Department of Chemistry" or "Department of Physics", at my university those are the departments, for example, orgo and physics are listed under.

Gotcha thanks! I was initially putting the course name but what you said makes more sense!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Geisel has an "ivy-league" undergrad bias?
I think most schools look highly upon ivy-league undergrad. But since Dartmouth is more suburban I've heard that people from schools like Harvard and Cornell are generally less happy there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools look highly upon ivy-league undergrad. But since Dartmouth is more suburban I've heard that people from schools like Harvard and Cornell are generally less happy there.
Its actually more rural. I would assume columbia, penn, harvard folks wouldnt enjoy that as much as cornell and brown because they are in a smaller area

Reactions: 2 users
For the secondary question about sharing something not addressed elsewhere:
I have a very strong upward trend after starting out with a very low gpa. This can mostly be attributed to my grades in Chemistry. I know everyone struggles in Chem, but I had some extenuating circumstances in HS that led to me being ill-prepared in college. I did not have a Chemistry teacher for a full year in HS. Also, my IB Chemistry class was closed after a couple months and I was unable to join the other class due to legal/discriminatory policies (can't go into too much detail here but it's valid).

Is this worth explaining to adcoms? I don't want to sound like I am making excuses, but I also think it'll give some much needed context as to why I struggled so much early on. I can make sure to focus more on how this motivated me and what I learned from the experience.

Is there any point in applying to Ivy Med schools at all if you attended a state school? This ivy-bias is pretty BS.

Reactions: 1 user
Just mon humble avis but, it seems like Darty doesn't go in for that so much.

Also, any II's yet? Share the good news

Is there any point in applying to Ivy Med schools at all if you attended a state school? This ivy-bias is pretty BS.

From what I see, there just feels like a slight bias towards dartmouth alums.

Actually, I have also heard - but not seen any evidence - that Dartmouth has a slight bias favoring non-trads, reinventors and generally not cookie-cutter premeds

Actually, I have also heard - but not seen any evidence - that Dartmouth has a slight bias favoring non-trads, reinventors and generally not cookie-cutter premeds
This is what admissions told me when I called them about how to improve my application (since Im a reapp and was wondering what they thought was lacking the first time).

There is evidence lol. There's more people over 22 matriculated than under on msar

I don’t think “ivy-bias” is much of a thing with regards to med school applications. I think it’s more the case that students from top schools tend to be strong students and put together strong applications. I went to a low ranking undergrad and interviewed at 4/7 of the ivy league schools that have med schools.

From what I see, there just feels like a slight bias towards dartmouth alums.

I don’t know the specifics of it, but the Dartmouth undergrads can get some sweet deal where as long as they fulfill certain requirements they are guaranteed admission to the med school without needing to go through the pain of the MCAT and application cycle (I think). It seems like a decent number of people take this option every year. Soo... it’s more than just a “slight” bias!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Only a max of 5 kids are offered admission through this program in a given year. However, the number accepting is usually less than that.

I don’t think “ivy-bias” is much of a thing with regards to med school applications. I think it’s more the case that students from top schools tend to be strong students and put together strong applications. I went to a low ranking undergrad and interviewed at 4/7 of the ivy league schools that have med schools

I don’t know the specifics of it, but the Dartmouth undergrads can get some sweet deal where as long as they fulfill certain requirements they are guaranteed admission to the med school without needing to go through the pain of the MCAT and application cycle (I think). It seems like a decent number of people take this option every year. Soo... it’s more than just a “slight” bias!

I try not to get to upset by it haha. My class had some extra dartmouth alums b/c previous years were accepted and deferred so we ended up with ~5 of these.

I try not to get to upset by it haha. My class had some extra dartmouth alums b/c previous years were accepted and deferred so we ended up with ~5 of these.

The Dartmouth alums in my class are all super chill mega-badasses - I wouldn’t mind having a few more of them!

I interviewed here a few years ago.

I was actually really surprised that I got a II. I was an international student and I went to one of the Big 10 for undergrad. Median MCAT, strong GPA, personal story, extracurricular + research experience.

I was hosted by someone who went to the same college as me. He was really cool. All the classmates he introduced me to were all Ivy undergrads and it irked me that they all seemed bitter about not being at a better ranked school (one of them had turned down an MD/PhD at UCSF for Geisel).

I felt very out of place with the rest of the cohort I was interviewing with. Many had already interviewed at several places and had at least 1 offer. I was ultimately waitlisted (which was still more than I expected for an international student like me).

Only things that irked me were that it's very rural (even more rural than these Mid West college towns) and that attitude I mentioned before. My host told me to ignore them though, so it might be an East Coast/Ivy mentality. I also went right after a major snow storm and the feet of snow + "you have to love the winter to have fun here" mantra weren't vibing with my desert heritage.

What I liked the most was that they have clerkship opportunities all over the US so you only have to deal with the cold for two years.

Reactions: 1 users
IIs came out on 8/10 last year! I know I don't stand a chance but I am still excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Did anyone put both course name and course number for "course #"? Are we supposed to put both or just course number?
In the instructions it says that "For course names, abbreviations are fine"?

I just did the course number as it shows up on my transcripts: BCHM 852, for example.

Primary Verified 8/7
Secondary Received 8/9
Secondary Submitted 8/9 (pre-wrote)
Best of luck everyone!
LizzyM 69, OOS, URM #wanttothrowup

really hoping some II go out this week. completed 7/19 IS though I am not sure if that matters at Dartmouth

Hey everyone! current M1 here would be happy to answer some questions but realize that i'm pretty new here so I wont have all the answers.
here are some of the facts they gave us at orientation good luck everyone:
Interesting facts about Geisel's Class of 2022:
  • The new 92 students were selected from more than 6,500 applicants to Geisel.
  • The class is comprised of 54 percent women and 46 percent men.
  • The class comes from 53 undergraduate institutions (Dartmouth was at the top with 16 students), including two military academies (West Point and the Air Force Academy).
  • The class represents 27 states and Puerto Rico. 16 students hail from California, Massachusetts and New Hampshire are represented by 8 students each, while 6 are from Pennsylvania and 5 from Vermont.
  • The class includes citizens of Canada, China, Indonesia, Bangladesh and the Cape Verde Islands. 23 students were born outside the United States, including origins in Ukraine, Indonesia, Korea, Ethiopia, Taiwan, Scotland, Canada, China, Greece, Cape Verde, Kenya, Peru, England, and Bangladesh.
  • 13 members of the class already hold advance degrees.
  • The class includes both a Fulbright and Rhodes scholar.
  • Many of the students have been involved in healthcare in roles such as EMTs, wilderness first responders, nurses, hospice and clinic volunteers, and home care providers.
  • Five students served in the military, including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Among them are an explosives expert, precision flying team pilot, combat engineer, Army Ranger, and paratrooper.
  • Many members of the class have already participated in research projects, including bench research and in clinical and field studies, and many had papers published in scientific journals.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone! current M1 here would be happy to answer some questions but realize that i'm pretty new here so I wont have all the answers.

Congratulations on starting medical school! How are you liking it so far?

I was curious about why you chose Geisel. Also, how much do you know about the joint degree programs? I'm very curious about the MD/MS Engineering program.

• The class comes from 53 undergraduate institutions (Dartmouth was at the top with 16 students), including two military academies (West Point and the Air Force Academy).
  • The class represents 27 states and Puerto Rico. 16 students hail from California, Massachusetts and New Hampshire are represented by 8 students each, while 6 are from Pennsylvania and 5 from Vermont.
  • The class includes citizens of Canada, China, Indonesia, Bangladesh and the Cape Verde Islands. 23 students were born outside the United States, including origins in Ukraine, Indonesia, Korea, Ethiopia, Taiwan, Scotland, Canada, China, Greece, Cape Verde, Kenya, Peru, England, and Bangladesh.
  • Many of the students have been involved in healthcare in roles such as EMTs, wilderness first responders, nurses, hospice and clinic volunteers, and home care providers.
  • Five students served in the military, including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Among them are an explosives expert, precision flying team pilot, combat engineer, Army Ranger, and paratrooper.
  • Many members of the class have already participated in research projects, including bench research and in clinical and field studies, and many had papers published in scientific journals.

*reads class profile*

o_O

Oh yeah, I'm definitely still competitive for Geisel...

Reactions: 4 users

Good luck in your first year! :D What would you say the culture is Geisel is like in terms of openness to ideas? i.e experimenting with new/untraditional delivery methods and receptiveness to medical/social entrepreneurism. Super specific question so I understand if you may not know yet lol. If not, it would be really helpful if you PM me someone I could get in contact with who would know better.

Congratulations on starting medical school! How are you liking it so far?

I was curious about why you chose Geisel. Also, how much do you know about the joint degree programs? I'm very curious about the MD/MS Engineering program.
I love Geisel. Med school is quick and people don’t lie that it’s like drinking through a fire hose. I’m not sure which program you’re specifically talking about but they’re really open to letting you take time Off to pursue your interests or to take a research year or even a split year where you do 1 med school year in 2 years (usually for research). To me, this place seems like they care about your success and that’s awesome. I only go into Geisel but it was among my top choices due to their focus on individual student success and the overall vibe I got when I interviewed here.

I love Geisel. Med school is quick and people don’t lie that it’s like drinking through a fire hose. I’m not sure which program you’re specifically talking about but they’re really open to letting you take time Off to pursue your interests or to take a research year or even a split year where you do 1 med school year in 2 years (usually for research). To me, this place seems like they care about your success and that’s awesome. I only go into Geisel but it was among my top choices due to their focus on individual student success and the overall vibe I got when I interviewed here.
How do you like the town/surrounding area?

How do you like the town/surrounding area?
I like it. I haven’t been here for the winter though and I hear it can be pretty bad and isolating at times if you’re not involved in winter sports. It’s not very close to many big cities but there’s a rumor of a target store coming Lol but overall if you can get passed the “middle of a forest” aspect of it, it’s a great place to be.

I like it. I haven’t been here for the winter though and I hear it can be pretty bad and isolating at times if you’re not involved in winter sports. It’s not very close to many big cities but there’s a rumor of a target store coming Lol but overall if you can get passed the “middle of a forest” aspect of it, it’s a great place to be.

What's this about a Target now?:xf:

Good luck in your first year! :D What would you say the culture is Geisel is like in terms of openness to ideas? i.e experimenting with new/untraditional delivery methods and receptiveness to medical/social entrepreneurism. Super specific question so I understand if you may not know yet lol. If not, it would be really helpful if you PM me someone I could get in contact with who would know better.

Another M1 here. I'd definitely encourage you to explore the website. In terms of healthcare delivery, we have The Dartmouth Institute, which focuses on public health, particularly healthcare disparities (re: the Dartmouth Atlas). There is an MD-MPH option there. There is also Tuck, the business school, if you are interested in entrepreneurship, they an MD-MBA; they also sometimes offer enrichment electives if you don't want to do a whole separate degree program. And to echo SCN1a, there are definitely lots of students here that split years or take research years (I think they said in the panel during orientation that it's up to 20% now?), so it seems like they are definitely committed to letting you do what you want with your education.

Reactions: 3 users
Dartmouth, where you at?

Never mind :) late November . Read it . Did you get any other invites or it was one shot one kill ?:)
I interviewed at 6 locations (in order):
-Harvard
-Mayo mn
-Dartmouth
-Mayo az
-UMN
-UCLA

I was only accepted to Dartmouth and I felt the best leaving the interview there. I was kicking myself leaving some of those interviews and obviously, that's a skill I'll have to work on. I recommend practice interviews to everyone. My stats are fairly mediocre too I just got lucky with the interviews I got I guess. my favorite places were Mayo and Dartmouth overall.

I interviewed at 6 locations (in order):
-Harvard
-Mayo mn
-Dartmouth
-Mayo az
-UMN
-UCLA

I was only accepted to Dartmouth and I felt the best leaving the interview there. I was kicking myself leaving some of those interviews and obviously, that's a skill I'll have to work on. I recommend practice interviews to everyone. My stats are fairly mediocre too I just got lucky with the interviews I got I guess. my favorite places were Mayo and Dartmouth overall.
If you could transfer that luck over to me, that would be great :help:

Reactions: 6 users