2018-2019 University of Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been on it since late August
My spidey senses are tingling. You're getting off it soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from the interview waitlist, put on it 9/5. IS, LM 75. Also, I interviewed at Phoenix. I know yield protection is maybe a controversial concept at times... but I have this suspicion that Tucson is trying hard to build a class of people that will matriculate and therefore possibly neglecting high-er stat applicants, particularly in-state. Or, maybe I'm just grumpy?? :laugh:

For those that are post-interview/pre-decision, does your "File Under Review" status on the welcome page show a red exclamation? Is that what it's supposed to be if everything is good to go and you're just waiting, or should it be a green check mark?

Rejected from the interview waitlist, put on it 9/5. IS, LM 75. Also, I interviewed at Phoenix. I know yield protection is maybe a controversial concept at times... but I have this suspicion that Tucson is trying hard to build a class of people that will matriculate and therefore possibly neglecting high-er stat applicants, particularly in-state. Or, maybe I'm just grumpy?? :laugh:
Contrary to what the pre-med community likes to believe... this process isn’t ALL about stats. Maybe they just didn’t see you as a fit, f*** it, move on. (I don’t say this to be an dingus. Moreso to point out there is a lot that goes into it and it’s unpredictable. You’ll be aight.)

Reactions: 2 users
Yield protection isn't only about stats really. Protecting yield is selecting students they believe would choose to go there. It may be that they were not convinced of this in some way by your interview. Or maybe the things you talked about *really* enjoying are just not things they offer. Or, like someone else said, could be they didn't see you as a good fit (which has nothing to do with being a great doctor).

I’m still getting the silent treatment from Phoenix. These two seem so different lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone who got an interview invite can share some insight about their LOR's.. I know this school is particular about having a LOR from a clinician who can attest to your patient interaction skills, but was anyone able to get around that with a LOR from a clinicial research PI?

I volunteered at a free-health clinic for two years, but given the fact that the clinic was only open on Saturdays and different physicians volunteered their time every weekend, it was difficult to find a single physician who was willing to write a strong LOR. Yet, I still believe I truly fit in with Tucson's mission as I want to continue serving the medically underserved. So I took my chances hoping my research PI (who is an MD) wrote about my interactions with his own patient population.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rejected off the interview waitlist. Waitlisted 8/15

just got the rejection email, was previously on hold, oh well. Interviewed at Phoenix a little while ago, waiting to hear back

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone who got an interview invite can share some insight about their LOR's.. I know this school is particular about having a LOR from a clinician who can attest to your patient interaction skills, but was anyone able to get around that with a LOR from a clinicial research PI?

A letter from a clinical research PI should do you well, especially if he/she spoke towards your ability to interact with patients during your time in their research. I had two letters from clinical research MDs but I also had one from a physician mentor too. If you're asking specifically about receiving an interview or not, I read that their decision to extend an II or not is based primarily on your secondary, so I have no clue as to whether they read LOR's prior to the II.

took the R off pre-II waitlist today. kinda forgot i was even on the waitlist lol

Man they didn’t even give me the preii waitlist wtf??

O yea and I was a late applicant but still I think it’s time for that response, anyone silent even without pre ii waitlist or hold

No, I’m out of state, applied randomly
Gotcha. I’m in IS and still nothing from both schools. I’m beginning to wonder whether they already have enough post Il candidates on waiting list that they’ve stopped looking at apps anymore.

Gotcha. I’m in IS and still nothing from both schools. I’m beginning to wonder whether they already have enough post Il candidates on waiting list that they’ve stopped looking at apps anymore.
If that was the case I feel that they would kick us by now.

If that was the case I feel that they would kick us by now.
Are you trying to say that we are still in the run? Or the ADCOMS are just too bogged down with other stuff that they just don’t have time to R us?

Are you trying to say that we are still in the run? Or the ADCOMS are just too bogged down with other stuff that they just don’t have time to R us?
Lol idk I think we are still in the run maybe, but how should I know I’m just an applicant

Lol idk I think we are still in the run maybe, but how should I know I’m just an applicant
Sorry sister / brother didn’t mean to twist your arm like that. I’m just an applicant like you craving for some news! :)

Sorry sister / brother didn’t mean to twist your arm like that. I’m just an applicant like you craving for some news! :)
Lol haha hopefully we get in somewhere!

Received II. Complete late September

only available time was in early december

Last edited:
I recently got in touch with them and they told me that they are still reviewing people

I recently got in touch with them and they told me that they are still reviewing people
Whoa that’s excellent news! Thanks for doing that. It means that we are still in the run. Good job us :)

Would it be a bad idea to email asking when the admissions committee will be meeting again to send out acceptances?

Would it be a bad idea to email asking when the admissions committee will be meeting again to send out acceptances?
Just interviewed Saturday and they told us we would not hear back until sometime between January and March