2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the email for second look day and registered. Hope to see some of you there!

Ditto!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
make sure to finish your FAFSAs and michigan aid app today!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else receive a scholarship email?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 Michigan, I already loved you, but now I really love you.

Reactions: 4 users
Omg congrats! Is this the Dean's Merit Scholarship??
Thanks! I think it's just a general merit scholarship (I saw in one doc that 44% of students are awarded scholarships, with an average award of just under $25k per year).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything back yet. I imagine they send a note to everyone, even if there's no award, right?

I haven't heard anything back yet. I imagine they send a note to everyone, even if there's no award, right?
I doubt all merit scholarships have been awarded. Maybe this is first wave of the “end of February” timeline posted in admitted students page. May even go into March when non rolling admissions release their acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow-up question to this convo: Does anyone know how fin aid works at mich in the context of COL? Is it possible to get fin aid (excluding loans) that cover housing,food,etc? If you get a merit scholarship does that remove loans first?

Anyone else get the MPULSE email yesterday and freak out because they thought it was an admissions scholarship? Or was that just me

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else get the MPULSE email yesterday and freak out because they thought it was an admissions scholarship? Or was that just me
Exactly that.

Follow-up question to this convo: Does anyone know how fin aid works at mich in the context of COL? Is it possible to get fin aid (excluding loans) that cover housing,food,etc? If you get a merit scholarship does that remove loans first?

I received a full tuition plus housing scholarship. I was told I could get additional need-based grants up to full cost of living. If you don’t qualify for need-based aid you could take out loans to get you up to full COA.

Reactions: 7 users
I received a full tuition plus housing scholarship. I was told I could get additional need-based grants up to full cost of living. If you don’t qualify for need-based aid you could take out loans to get you up to full COA.
Holy?! NICE!

Goodness, congratulations! Do you mind if I DM you about this?

Received a full merit scholarship. Was already set on here but now it's a done deal!

Reactions: 7 users
Received a full merit scholarship. Was already set on here but now it's a done deal!

If you don't mind me asking did you receive yours with the others on Thursday? Or at a different time?

If you don't mind me asking did you receive yours with the others on Thursday? Or at a different time?
no problem - yeah I heard back Thursday but I doubt they're done giving them out!

I was on the waitlist for DHE, was taken off Friday.

So if I got an email that says "You are registered for the following: DHE, Second Look" does that mean I have a spot at both or just that I asked for both? I didn't even realize there was a waiting list.

So if I got an email that says "You are registered for the following: DHE, Second Look" does that mean I have a spot at both or just that I asked for both? I didn't even realize there was a waiting list.
It depends on when you completed the app, it had it next to the events you wanted to sign up for. I was one of the those people who started the app the day it opened and didn’t complete it until I got off work the next morning. Initially when I started the app I was able to sign up for all of the events, when I returned to complete it I noticed a waitlist next to the sign up for DHE. My completion email also stated that I was on the waitlist.

It depends on when you completed the app, it had it next to the events you wanted to sign up for. I was one of the those people who started the app the day it opened and didn’t complete it until I got off work the next morning. Initially when I started the app I was able to sign up for all of the events, when I returned to complete it I noticed a waitlist next to the sign up for DHE. My completion email also stated that I was on the waitlist.

Ohh okay I see. I did it the first day so I think I was assigned to them. Thanks for the info!

A heads up that I was perusing last year's thread and saw reference to a second wave of merit-based scholarships post second look. Not sure if that will be the case again this year but seems reasonable to assume that some of you who haven't heard word may still be in the running.

Just received email regarding requesting a financial aid package. Said they’ll be out no later than second look if you request.

Just received email regarding requesting a financial aid package. Said they’ll be out no later than second look if you request.

Yeah but mu understanding was not to ask unless you were trying to choose between multiple schools? Do you think it really matters?

Yeah but mu understanding was not to ask unless you were trying to choose between multiple schools? Do you think it really matters?

Hmm, I never saw that anywhere, was that listed on their website? Regardless, I would've thought for most people the amount of aid you'd be getting/total COA would play hugely into their decision on which school to pick. I guess if someone held only their Michigan acceptance they wouldn't need a financial aid estimate, but even then I would still want to see about grants and an official COA estimate.

Hmm, I never saw that anywhere, was that listed on their website? Regardless, I would've thought for most people the amount of aid you'd be getting/total COA would play hugely into their decision on which school to pick. I guess if someone held only their Michigan acceptance they wouldn't need a financial aid estimate, but even then I would still want to see about grants and an official COA estimate.
it’s in the first sentence of the email: “to make a decision between our school and another.” But I agree that financial info is likely a decision factor for most admitted students, they ought to send everyone an estimate.

Reactions: 2 users
it’s in the first sentence of the email: “to make a decision between our school and another.” But I agree that financial info is likely a decision factor for most admitted students, they ought to send everyone an estimate.

My CARS score wasn't high.

Reactions: 4 users

Yikes, is it rude to ask for a financial aid estimate even if you've gotten a scholarship? Damn me and my obsessive email response haha

Yikes, is it rude to ask for a financial aid estimate even if you've gotten a scholarship? Damn me and my obsessive email response haha

Honestly, I think it's fair for any admitted student to ask for one. I wouldn't worry at all. I was like you, I replied within like 5 min of getting the email notification.

I think the idea is they can prioritize those for whom the financial aid package will be a deciding factor. All of this takes time and people have to start thinking about planning travel to Second Look. So many schools have Second Looks on the same weekends... On the other hand, maybe everyone should get an early estimate since during my interview day, admissions mentioned that 99% of UMich interviewees get accepted somewhere. Chances are most UMich admits have more than one offer.

Not at all! My understanding is that at UMich, need-based aid is entirely separate from merit-based aid. UMich is one of the few schools that "stacks" aid. With a decent merit scholarship and a low EFC, full tuition/COA could be a real possibility here.

Fun fact: A few students have mentioned that there is a second round of scholarships in April, right after Second Look. Apparently, attending second look can be in a factor in consideration for additional merit money.

Fun fact: A few students have mentioned that there is a second round of scholarships in April, right after Second Look. Apparently, attending second look can be in a factor in consideration for additional merit money.

evidence of this exists on the MDapplicants profile of "twentyeightmiles"

evidence of this exists on the MDapplicants profile of "twentyeightmiles"

Thanks for this information, it puts my mind at ease :) I have a very low EFC as well so I just wanted to know my fin aid package

Does anyone know what the max need-based scholarship amount is (for an EFC of 0)?

Also just realized, did anyone get an email back after requesting a fin aid package confirming it? The email said to send it to [email protected] but the email is from [email protected]? I don't know if the email works regardless or if I sent it to nowhere? On the fin aid page on the Michigan website it also lists just @umich.edu, not really sure at this point.

Also just realized, did anyone get an email back after requesting a fin aid package confirming it? The email said to send it to [email protected] but the email is from [email protected]? I don't know if the email works regardless or if I sent it to nowhere? On the fin aid page on the Michigan website it also lists just @umich.edu, not really sure at this point.
Good catch. I also sent it to the @umich.edu one. I didn't receive any confirmation though. It should be the right one but doesn't hurt to ask